Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Honeymooners Apartment

Why did Ralph and Alice live in squalor? Was Norton's and Trixie's pad just as bad?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 334August 26, 2020 1:12 AM

They spent all their money on pork rinds.

by Anonymousreply 1July 17, 2016 2:19 AM

He was a bus driver and Norton was a sewer worker.

(and Trixie ad Alice were lazy layabouts who did nothing)

by Anonymousreply 2July 17, 2016 2:23 AM

Don't type too loudly OP. Nurse will switch you off.

by Anonymousreply 3July 17, 2016 2:25 AM

Why aren't you out looking for Pokemon, r3?

by Anonymousreply 4July 17, 2016 2:33 AM

I thought it interesting that they never showed the Kramdens' bedroom. Not once.

You saw the Nortons' apartment in a couple of different episodes and it looked pretty nice. They obviously were living much better than the Kramdens.

by Anonymousreply 5July 17, 2016 2:33 AM

It was modeled after the apartment Gleason grew up in at 328 Chauncey St. in Brooklyn.

by Anonymousreply 6July 17, 2016 2:38 AM

Because Ralph was a tightwad. Norton, being more affable, was more free spending with his money. In the episodes they did later on as part of Gleason's variety show the Ralph and Alice had a more updated apartment.

My question is, what did Alice do all day? She had very little to clean, no tv, no radio, primitive stove etc. no wonder she was such a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 7July 17, 2016 2:42 AM

She was fucking Norton on that rickety kitchen table.

by Anonymousreply 8July 17, 2016 2:44 AM

Good question, R7. She must have been horribly bored all day as cleaning the apartment would probably only take about 10 minutes.

A bit off-topic: I met Joyce Randolph several years ago. Very nice, very lovely and gracious lady.

by Anonymousreply 9July 17, 2016 2:45 AM

I thought about that too. How much can you clean two room apartment and she certainly wasn't doing any gourmet cooking.

by Anonymousreply 10July 17, 2016 2:47 AM

The bureau against the wall between the bedroom door and the front door always looks like it gets changed out for a different one from episode to episode. I think that was obviously intentional just for wtf purposes.

by Anonymousreply 11July 17, 2016 2:55 AM

The episode where Mother Kramden makes a surprise visit always had me wondering where she slept. Alice takes her things and puts them in the bedroom as if she will sleep there... were we supposed to believe they'd share a bed?

by Anonymousreply 12July 17, 2016 3:00 AM

So what is the rent these days?

by Anonymousreply 13July 17, 2016 3:04 AM

Did they have a bathroom?

by Anonymousreply 14July 17, 2016 3:13 AM

They probably had a bathroom in the hall that was shared by everyone on their floor.

by Anonymousreply 15July 17, 2016 3:16 AM

Damn, what did they pay for monthly rent $.05?

by Anonymousreply 16July 17, 2016 3:19 AM

They probably had a bathroom in their bedroom. We never saw what was inside, perhaps it was spacious and they had additional pieces of furniture in there.

by Anonymousreply 17July 17, 2016 3:23 AM

That door did not lead to the bedroom. It opened to a long hallway with a parlor, dining room, 2 bedrooms and a bath and a half.

by Anonymousreply 18July 17, 2016 3:44 AM

Alice waited for the Iceman to cometh.

by Anonymousreply 19July 17, 2016 3:44 AM

Alice could have easily brightened that space with a few handwoven Turkish rugs, some lace curtains hand sewn by Carmelite nuns in the South of France, antique Italian pottery and a wall color made from ground sea shells found along the Aegean Coast.

by Anonymousreply 20July 17, 2016 3:52 AM

It was a much more realistic New York apartment than Monica's apartment on Friends.

by Anonymousreply 21July 17, 2016 12:12 PM

Bang. Zoom!

by Anonymousreply 22July 17, 2016 12:17 PM

Audrey Meadows said that women across America would send her curtains for the window and handmade frilly aprons, with notes advising her to spruce herself and the place up a little. It's been speculated that part of the reason The Honeymooners wasn't initially a success (only lasting one season but forever flourishing in reruns) is that it was too depressing in the "America Has The Highest Standard of Living in the World!" '50s.

by Anonymousreply 23July 17, 2016 1:08 PM

Not lace curtain Irish, that's for sure.

by Anonymousreply 24July 17, 2016 1:14 PM

It looks like a theater stage with minimal furniture and props.

by Anonymousreply 25July 17, 2016 1:23 PM

Alice spent all her household money on having her wardrobe tailored and on professional hair and makeup.

by Anonymousreply 26July 17, 2016 1:38 PM

Audrey Meadows said they were very dubious about casting her as Alice until she returned for a call back audition with no make up and a frowzy house dress. Character actress Pert Kelton, who had an aged pug Irish face and lumpy body (she was Marian's mother in The Music Man), played Alice in the original pilot. And believe it or not, Elaine Stritch played Trixie in that pilot and the character was a showgirl at the Copa!

Of course, in the end, they did make Meadows quite attractive and she certainly gave the Kramden relationship some much-appreciated sex appeal.

The set was indeed primitive but not so much worse than most sit-com sets from the earliest years of TV, especially those shot in NYC. Compare with I Remember Mama and The Goldbergs to see what I mean.

by Anonymousreply 27July 17, 2016 1:47 PM

Good question - just what did they do with their extra money. Yeah - they were low-income but not given to frills or extravagance, and Ralph was a tightwad. There must have been some left over. Maybe they had a few dollars in the bank ...

by Anonymousreply 28July 17, 2016 1:47 PM

Weren't bus drivers unionized back then? With a decent wage, insurance and benefits??

by Anonymousreply 29July 17, 2016 1:49 PM

Trixie was always a former showgirl in burlesque. Ed said every night she went on stage he met her and gave her a rose. "it was her costume."

by Anonymousreply 30July 17, 2016 1:59 PM

Squalor, OP?! That's NYC at its best.

by Anonymousreply 31July 17, 2016 2:01 PM

[quote]Maybe they had a few dollars in the bank ...

$12.83.

by Anonymousreply 32July 17, 2016 2:02 PM

It was one of the first shows to set the sitcom standard of ridiculous husbands with beautiful, sensible wives.

by Anonymousreply 33July 17, 2016 2:03 PM

I always wondered why the couldn't at least afford a pair of curtains. They certainly weren't that expensive. I had no idea the show only lasted one season. It certainly is popular in reruns.

by Anonymousreply 34July 17, 2016 2:03 PM

That apartment would be 3k a month in Brooklyn now

by Anonymousreply 35July 17, 2016 2:05 PM

It's interesting how publicity stills for "The Honeymooners" will show the four actors but watching the show, Trixie was never really given that much to do. She basically just got a few lines per episode and that was it -- in fact, it almost felt at times as if Norton was a single guy instead of a married man given how often he hung around the Kramdens without her despite the fact she was supposed to be Alice's best friend (I guess it could be argued she and Alice saw each other often during the day while the husbands were at work). Probably the episode that featured Trixie the most prominently was "Alice and the Blond" (also reportedly Audrey Meadows' favorite) in which the Kramdens and Nortons went to dinner at the home of Ralph's boss and his ditzy young wife.

by Anonymousreply 36July 17, 2016 2:35 PM

[quote]It was one of the first shows to set the sitcom standard of ridiculous husbands with beautiful, sensible wives.

True, though I did feel there was one -- and only one -- episode of "The Honeymooners" in which Alice was 100% wrong and Ralph was 100% right. It was the episode in which Alice's bitch of a mother came to visit on the day Ralph had scored tickets to a popular murder mystery on Broadway and the mother, being the usual cunt she was, purposely spilled the ending. Ralph hits the ceiling (as anyone would in that case) and orders her out of the apartment but Alice, instead of siding with Ralph, defends her mother instead and then packs her bags and leaves with her. Ralph then spends the rest of the episode trying to win her back, doing so by recording an apology to her to get her to come back home. I actually hated the episode because I would've told her to keep her ass at her mother's permanently until they both apologized to me, not the other way around.

by Anonymousreply 37July 17, 2016 2:46 PM

She defended her mother over her husband. What's so strange about that?

by Anonymousreply 38July 17, 2016 2:50 PM

Pert Kelton as Alice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39July 17, 2016 2:51 PM

Pert Kelton was fired when her named appeared in Red Channels, exposing supposed Communists in radio and television.

by Anonymousreply 40July 17, 2016 3:08 PM

Alice did have a job. In the episode where they were looking for a housekeeper, Ralph told the interviewer "Mrs. Kramden is a career girl." Alice said she stuffs jelly into doughnuts at a neighborhood German bakery.

by Anonymousreply 41July 17, 2016 3:14 PM

r27 is correct. "Mama" and her family lived in a two-story Victorian at 115 Steiner Street in San Francisco. "The Goldbergs" had a two-bedroom apartment with dining room at 3080 East Tremont Avenue in the Bronx.

by Anonymousreply 42July 17, 2016 3:23 PM

I didn't realize this show only lasted one season. Incredible and that tip about Chanuncey Street too.

I wonder why they never had children?

by Anonymousreply 43July 17, 2016 3:30 PM

Wonderful episode when Ralph and Alice tried to adopt.

by Anonymousreply 44July 17, 2016 3:35 PM

Was Alice a chubby-chaser?

by Anonymousreply 45July 17, 2016 4:02 PM

What did they do to relax? They had no tv, stereo, nor couch. What happened when the wanted to put their feet up and lay back in a comfortable chair? In that era, it would not be custom to use the bed for anything other than sleeping and sex. Funny thing is a lot of NY apartments were like this, so what did they do in their spare time?

by Anonymousreply 46July 17, 2016 4:24 PM

The Honeymooners as a half hour sitcom only lasted one season, but the characters themselves originated on the Jackie Gleason show, and we're wildly popular for four years. In fact, for all intents and purposes, the Gleason show became The Honeymooners for 2 seasons, and they had hour long Honeymooners skits. The lost episodes are derived from these. And once the 39 episodes of.The Honeymooners completed, the Gleason show returned in the same time slot, and was heavily Honeymooners centric again(more lost episodes). So in one form or another. The Honeymooners were a regular fixture on prime time television. But only the 39 went into syndication, and have been rerun continuously since 1957.

by Anonymousreply 47July 17, 2016 4:34 PM

Gleason wanted the apartment to reflect the kind of home he was raised in. His father abandoned the family and because he was so proud of his mother raising him alone, he always wanted Alice to win the battles.

by Anonymousreply 48July 17, 2016 4:36 PM

Don't worry r61. We didn't read past the first sentence, having figured out you're a bitter piece of cat sick.

by Anonymousreply 49July 17, 2016 4:43 PM

Fuck DL. wrong thread

by Anonymousreply 50July 17, 2016 4:43 PM

And remember that Gleason grew up in that Chauncey Street tenement in the teens/1920s when it wasn't uncommon for entire immigrant working class families to live in a couple of squalid rooms, with no electrical appliances.

For excitement, they'd go out on the fire escape with a home-made lemonade and a cigarette.

I'm not so sure how realistic that apartment was for a married NYC bus driver but it certainly gave the series an iconic dramatic (and comedic) poignancy.

by Anonymousreply 51July 17, 2016 7:14 PM

Funny how so much was made of Jackie Gleason's weight and shape but looking at old series now, he was barely fit fat.

by Anonymousreply 52July 17, 2016 7:15 PM

[quote]Weren't bus drivers unionized back then? With a decent wage, insurance and benefits??

Not sure, but it's interesting to ponder that, realistically, shouldn't the Kramdens have been living better from Ralph's salary as a city employee than the Ricardos did on Ricky's earnings as a singer in a nightclub?

by Anonymousreply 53July 17, 2016 8:27 PM

I always got the impression that Ricky Ricardo, like Desi Arnaz, came from the Cuban aristocracy.

by Anonymousreply 54July 17, 2016 8:36 PM

Ricky didn't waste his money on get rich quick schemes like Ralph did.

by Anonymousreply 55July 17, 2016 8:38 PM

Ricky was Fred's kept boy.

by Anonymousreply 56July 17, 2016 8:38 PM

I'm also very surprised to hear that The Honeymooners only lasted for one season. It's such a part of American pop culture, I thought it aired for years like I Love Lucy did.

The things you learn from DL!

by Anonymousreply 57July 17, 2016 8:59 PM

It did, R57. Read R47.

by Anonymousreply 58July 17, 2016 9:07 PM

As another posted noted, Ralph spent all his money on crazy schemes, like the "uranium field in Asbury Park."

Norton's apartment was basically like Ralphs only they had a couch and some wall paper and a TV and phone. Norton was always paying on time.

Alice did have a radio in some episodes, but she also did all the laundry by hand which seeing how large Ralph was must've taken days. Can you imagine his skidmarked drawers and pit stained t-shirts. Yech, poor Alice.

Ralph's salary was $52week . And his rent is 33/month, so he's not even paying 15% of his salary on rent.

The REAL reason they're broke is simple.

Alice's Mother) You look thin dear, are you getting enough to eat

Alice) Oh sure mother, you wouldn't say that if you saw our food bills

Alice's Mother) I don't doubt the bills are high, I just wonder how much of the food you're getting.

by Anonymousreply 59July 17, 2016 9:27 PM

R29/53 Since 1937 NYC bus and subway employees have been represented by the Transport Workers Union Local 100 with 35,000 current members.

by Anonymousreply 60July 17, 2016 9:31 PM

What salary would a NYC bus driver make today?

by Anonymousreply 61July 17, 2016 9:48 PM

R61 NYC bus drivers can do very well with overtime and get benefits. Not a bad gig at all. R47, thanks for the info.

by Anonymousreply 62July 17, 2016 10:04 PM

Are there any apts still like that in Brooklyn or have they all been "renovated"?

by Anonymousreply 63July 17, 2016 10:28 PM

Kramden was also the safest bus driver at the company.

by Anonymousreply 64July 17, 2016 10:28 PM

328 Chauncey St. is still there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65July 17, 2016 11:04 PM

I don't blame Alice's mom for being pissed. Alice could have done so much better.

by Anonymousreply 66July 17, 2016 11:18 PM

Ralph worked for a private bus company, not the NYC Transit. My guess is the salary wasn't as high and who knows what the benefits were if any. I think as they do today, NYC bus drivers did make a very nice salary. Also, I don't know if this is still the case, both NYC bus and subway employees could work as much OT as they could handle in their last year or two before retirement and their pensions would be based on that. So a person could earn maybe 3-4 times what they were paid for most of their working life and be really set for life with a pension that usually ended up giving them more than they had actually earned for most of their years.

Also they got to keep great medical insurance for them and their wives for the rest of their lives.

I wonder if it is still like that today.

by Anonymousreply 67July 17, 2016 11:21 PM

[quote] Alice and the Blond" (also reportedly Audrey Meadows' favorite) in which the Kramdens and Nortons went to dinner at the home of Ralph's boss and his ditzy young wife

Leave it there. The cat'll get it.

by Anonymousreply 68July 18, 2016 12:05 AM

[quote] Funny thing is a lot of NY apartments were like this, so what did they do in their spare time?

They probably had a radio in the bedroom. Also, they went bowling, roller skating, to shows, Chinese restaurants. Lots of people -- not the kramdens -- belonged to churches or synagogues and volunteered or had entertainment like picnics, pot lucks, bake sales, dances. I used to volunteer at a church where they set up tables and chairs, served food and had dances like a:supper club. Catholics had bingo and card games.

People belonged to bridge clubs, played mah Jong (sp?), pinochle, poker, gin rummy. . I remember my grandparents generation playing cards a lot. They got together at one another's houses and served peanuts, pretzels, chips -- nothing gourmet. They might have a "highball." Everyone had a card table. I imagine Ed and Ralph, Alice and Trixie might play cards at the Kramden kitchen table.

by Anonymousreply 69July 18, 2016 12:18 AM

Ralph and Ed were members of the Royal Order of Racoons.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70July 18, 2016 12:25 AM

Don't fall down!

by Anonymousreply 71July 18, 2016 12:33 AM

Movies were cheap. People knew their neighbors. In my husband's Brooklyn neighborhood all the parents watched all the kids outside. People sat on the porch together and talked to neighbors who walked by. In summer it was so hot indoors you had to go outside. Going up on the building roof and looking at the stars while listening to the transistor radio was a thing.

My husband's neighborhood was a little too "cozy" for me. He said neighbors and relatives would just open the door and walk in to his apartment. Especially relatives. They'd knock, but open the door as they were knocking.

I lived in the "new" suburbs, and people sat outside on the "stoop" after "supper" in folding chairs. Some would walk down the street to talk to others and stop to say hi. When it got dark out, we kids would play flashlight hide-and/seek up and down the block, running in and out of everyone's yard. We didn't have front "lawns", we had yards. All yards had trees to cool the house in summer. The idea of a perfectly manicured lawn, a patio, a deck, a pool didn't exist.

But as people moved away and as evening TV shows became more scheduled as opposed to old movies being rerun and things like fights being broadcast, , we stopped going outside after "supper." Sitcoms entranced us kids.

by Anonymousreply 72July 18, 2016 12:34 AM

A string of poloponies.

by Anonymousreply 73July 18, 2016 12:35 AM

Pickalilli and chow chow

by Anonymousreply 74July 18, 2016 12:36 AM

YOU, are a blabber-mouth ....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75July 18, 2016 12:38 AM

Do the Hucklebuck!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76July 18, 2016 12:39 AM

Audrey Meadows was awesome!

by Anonymousreply 77July 18, 2016 3:41 AM

Hey, get a load of fatso over there!

by Anonymousreply 78July 18, 2016 3:52 AM

There are very elderly people in NYC who live in apts. like this because they've been living there since WWII or earlier and are rent controlled. I have done some volunteer work with seniors and have seen some. They pay under $200 for their apts., but because they retired years ago, their social security is very low, but at least they can still afford the rent.

by Anonymousreply 79July 18, 2016 3:54 AM

Norton: Mind if I smoke? Ralph: I don't care if you burn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80July 18, 2016 3:59 AM

Don't forget the 50 minute lecture!

by Anonymousreply 81July 18, 2016 4:10 AM

[R80] - That's awesome!

by Anonymousreply 82July 18, 2016 4:11 AM

Ed Norton: Poor little pizza, ain't good for nothin'!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83July 18, 2016 4:18 AM

Fascinating link at r65. Thanks for posting that

by Anonymousreply 84July 18, 2016 2:11 PM

I think Alice probably went to double features a lot, they were cheap.

by Anonymousreply 85July 18, 2016 4:05 PM

Back in those days you would get a double feature, good A not B movies, a 15 minute newsreel, 1/2 hour of cartoons and coming attractions all for 50 cents. For another 50 cents you could buy enough at the concession stand to fill you up for the entire day. Also, at least in Brooklyn, NY, there were several movie theaters in every neighborhood, all showing different things. What each one showed changed every week or so. Alice could have had a great time. There were also inexpensive places to shop in every neighborhood like Woolworth's. Every neighborhood had a couple. Most had just about anything you could want from makeup, to housewares to clothes, to notions to things like curtains, tablecloths and if it was your desire you could even buy a parakeet or some goldfish or small turtles. They also had wonderful lunch counters with fountain service for ice cream and soda treats.

There were no or very few supermarkets. You went from the butcher, to the fish store, to the bakery to the grocery, etc. Usually you were known in each store and would spend a lot of time chatting with the owners.

Most women didn't work and if you remember Ralph didn't want Alice to work. She wasn't lazy. She wanted to but it was an embarrassment for the working class or poor husband if his wife had to work.

All and all Alice would have had her days occupied inexpensively. I imagine too that Ralph liked to come home to a good dinner, not fancy, but good, pot roast and such. That takes time. This was before TV dinners and other frozen foods were popular.

The one thing I can't understand though is no couch or even one comfortable chair. I imagine even very poor people could pick one up cheap at used furniture stores. It would probably have bedbugs but then in NY tenements all the apartments had bedbugs and roaches and mice, rats were fairly common too. Also they had little closet space, if any there was probably just one in the bedroom. Perhaps they had one of those that are part of a bedroom set. I forget what they call them.

I also think Trixie wouldn't have had a problem allowing Alice to come upstairs and watch TV in her apartment. I think it would have been more annoying at night when Ed got home to have both Alice and Ralph come up and watch TV.

Didn't Fred and Ethel often come to Lucy and Ricky's apt to watch TV? I think F&E had a TV but I don't remember. I do remember that Lucy and Ricky once bought them one.

by Anonymousreply 86July 18, 2016 5:18 PM

TV really changed society. The worst punishment for a kid in the 60s was "no TV." To have to go to school the next day and be the only one who didn't see Twilight Zone....oy

When I was very young, idiot think the news was on tv after dinner. Because I'm pretty sure my parents would have watched it instead of sitting out on the stoop

by Anonymousreply 87July 18, 2016 9:46 PM

i remember when the hearings about organized crime were on TV in the daytime. I had no idea what they were talking about. But when there was a government hearing, it was on tv. You didn't wait roses it on the news. You watched it in front of you

by Anonymousreply 88July 18, 2016 9:49 PM

How do we know what's happening on the fourth wall of that room? Any guesses?

Perhaps that's where the chaise lounge is.

by Anonymousreply 89July 18, 2016 9:58 PM

I call you Killer, 'cuz you slay me . . . . .

by Anonymousreply 90July 18, 2016 10:00 PM

In one episode Alice complains that she wants a TV and points out that the Nortons have one and lots of other things. Kramden points out that they are in debt up to their ears because of it and that he has money in the bank. It's an absurdly low amount but enough to cover, say, a month's rent if he loses his job. He's tight with a buck.

by Anonymousreply 91July 18, 2016 10:04 PM

Their apartment door opened into the hallway. Always bothered a friend of mine.

by Anonymousreply 92July 18, 2016 10:12 PM

Why wouldn't an apartment door open to a hallway? Every apartment I ever lived in opened to a hallway

by Anonymousreply 93July 18, 2016 10:19 PM

The door should open into the apartment, not out into the hallway

by Anonymousreply 94July 18, 2016 10:23 PM

My door opens out into the hallway. I have lived in four NYC apartments, two opened in and two opened out.

by Anonymousreply 95July 18, 2016 10:35 PM

I am the only girl in town with an atomic kitchen. This place looks like Yucca Flats after the blast.

by Anonymousreply 96July 18, 2016 10:49 PM

We'll just have to get a smaller tent with a smaller snake.

by Anonymousreply 97July 18, 2016 11:00 PM

Where was the tub? Was it in the hallway with the toilet? I read an article about how NYC bathhouses were popular with families because tenements didn't have proper bathrooms.

by Anonymousreply 98July 18, 2016 11:18 PM

Hopefully the Kramdens didn't have to go outside to use the toilet!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99July 18, 2016 11:29 PM

I was in the rent controlled shotgun apartment of a friend and that bathroom was horrible. Since it was rent controlled it had not been updated since maybe the 1940s. There was a lightbulb on the ceiling and a string to pull it on and off. Peeling paint. It was the only room that you didn't walk through. There was a small hall space and a door, then you were in the kitchen. It was $500 a month, a three bedroom in a tenement. It was a walk up and they were on the fourth floor. I was winded going up the stairs.

The apartment had a front and a back door. Both doors were wooden and the top part had a big glass window. They had white curtains in the window part.

I would not have wanted to live in that apartment with glass window doors in the 1970s and 1980s.

by Anonymousreply 100July 18, 2016 11:32 PM

Isn't that a good idea, Tubby?

by Anonymousreply 101July 18, 2016 11:34 PM

The urban poor are so depressing. But funny!

by Anonymousreply 102July 18, 2016 11:44 PM

I brive a dus

by Anonymousreply 103July 18, 2016 11:46 PM

I never understood the deliberate squalor of the Kramdens. I read one viewer actually sent curtains to "Alice" because she couldn't stand it. No reason for them to live like that, not believable at all.

by Anonymousreply 104July 18, 2016 11:48 PM

I have a friend Shirley who's bigger than you.

by Anonymousreply 105July 18, 2016 11:48 PM

I think since Gleason was so used to performing solo on a stage he wanted a big open space where he could really inhabit Ralph Kramden with his big gestures, so that's why there wasn't any furniture except a table and bureau.

But they really needed curtains.

by Anonymousreply 106July 18, 2016 11:55 PM

[quote] Tenement life improved somewhat after 1901, when new-law tenements were mandated by the city: These were required to have bathroom facilities and running water in each apartment, and a window in every room

When I sold my apartment in 2005, a lot of people in my building made two large bedrooms into three small ones, but they were not allowed to advertise the apartment as a 3 bedroom because every room had to have a window.

by Anonymousreply 107July 19, 2016 12:07 AM

When Ralph and Alice fought, which was frequently, they "acted out" by throwing and smearing greasy food on the walls.

by Anonymousreply 108July 19, 2016 12:09 AM

R104 takes sitcoms way too seriously.

by Anonymousreply 109July 19, 2016 12:14 AM

Even Alice's mom wonders why they don't have any furniture!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110July 19, 2016 12:16 AM

I can't imagine sleeping in a room without a window. But recently I've looked at a few places that have exactly that. They call it loft style.

Back in the 90s I had a place with no windows in the living room, but it opened onto a windowed bedroom with four huge folding doors. Most of the time I kept them open. Ceilings were 14 feet. I toyed with the idea of building platforms but the building was sold, all tenants were evicted, and it was demolished.

by Anonymousreply 111July 19, 2016 12:21 AM

Well I'll ask you again, what WAS her cat doing in this apartment?

by Anonymousreply 112July 19, 2016 2:00 AM

Don't touch me nurse, I'm sterile!

by Anonymousreply 113July 19, 2016 3:42 AM

What did the set look like in color? Can someone post a link?

by Anonymousreply 114July 19, 2016 5:45 PM

Here ya go, r114

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115July 19, 2016 8:06 PM

So that must be Norton's apartment because it has curtains. How come the windows themselves are so different in that apartment. Don't buildings usually have the same kind of windows in every apartment?

BTW, thanks for that color link. I've never seen any of the episodes in color.

by Anonymousreply 116July 19, 2016 8:14 PM

In NYC the private bus companies were bought out by NYC just before WWII, so Ralph, would've had to work for the city, but on the show he didn't.

Boy I hope someone got fired for that blunder.

by Anonymousreply 117July 19, 2016 8:25 PM

r112

That wasn't a cat, you had your raccoon hat on backwards

by Anonymousreply 118July 19, 2016 8:29 PM

That picture at [R115] was from a Lost Honeymooners episode where both couples moved into one new apartment to save money.

by Anonymousreply 119July 19, 2016 8:43 PM

Thanks R119. I never knew that. I've only seen the 1/2 hour black and white episodes.

by Anonymousreply 120July 19, 2016 8:54 PM

R61, the driver of the bus I take every day recently retired after 33 years. Told me he made $90,000 in 2015 with overtime. IIRC, overtime is first offered to employees who plan to retire so they will have a bigger pension

by Anonymousreply 121July 19, 2016 8:54 PM

Ralph drove the Madison Avenue route for New York City Omnibus Corporation which, according to Wikipedia, ceased operation under a new name in 1962.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122July 19, 2016 9:04 PM

That color apartment was tricked out. Imagine you and your partner living in a small apartment with another couple to save money, and it looks like this one only had 1 bedroom. WTF?

BTW, thanks, R115.

by Anonymousreply 123July 19, 2016 9:05 PM

R122 here.. Excuse stinky linky. If webmaster restored PREVIEW, it could have been prevented.

by Anonymousreply 124July 19, 2016 9:05 PM

He drove for the Gotham City Bus Co.

by Anonymousreply 125July 19, 2016 9:06 PM

I always think of the Kramdens and the Ricardos living in NYC at the same time but worlds apart. The Kramdens probably couldn't afford tickets to Ricky's show at the Tropicana.

by Anonymousreply 126July 19, 2016 9:11 PM

R125 if you search Google Images "Ralph Kramden Bus Driver" you'll find pictures of him in a bus which shows "New York City Omnibus Corporation" on the side.

by Anonymousreply 127July 19, 2016 9:13 PM

Jackie's beginningson Chauncey Street with photo of the building.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128July 19, 2016 9:14 PM

R100 what is a "shotgun" apartment?

by Anonymousreply 129July 19, 2016 9:18 PM

NYC's Highest Paid Bus Driver

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130July 19, 2016 9:55 PM

A shot gun apartment is one in which you have to go through one room to get to another. No hall ways. Very typical in NY tenements.

by Anonymousreply 131July 19, 2016 10:13 PM

Well, there's more than one idea as to why they're called "shotgun," but I always understood it to mean that with all the doors opened, you could shoot a shotgun and the bullets would pass cleanly through the house front to back. Which concurs, kind of, with R131, but the implication as I grew up hearing it is if this is your residence, you are generally so poor you don't have anything in that house for the bullets to hit.

by Anonymousreply 132July 19, 2016 10:27 PM

There was an episode where Ralph got a TV and tried to stay up late to watch it. He sat on one of the chairs from the kitchen table, still in his shoes and his uniform, still with the blaring kitchen light on. Everything about the scene, including Ralph's posture (his arms crossed, his back straining against the chair), looked uncomfortable and conveyed the opposite relaxing feeling that a TV at home should bring.

by Anonymousreply 133July 19, 2016 10:29 PM

They were two of our first childfree couples?

by Anonymousreply 134July 19, 2016 10:32 PM

I lived in Louisville years ago and the small cottages there were called shotgun houses because they looked so small and narrow from the front but extended quite far directly behind. Same idea as shotgun apartments.

by Anonymousreply 135July 19, 2016 10:35 PM

R130 Bravo to that bus driver, he probably brought some comfort to his family I'm guessing his salary is helping support a number of people and even if it isn't, he worked hard and thats hardly a huge paycheck, all things considered in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 136July 19, 2016 10:38 PM

You may find yourself living in a shotgun shack, and you may find yourself in another part of the world, and you may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile, and you may find yourself in a beautiful house, with a beautiful wife, and you may ask yourself-"Well...How did I get here?"

by Anonymousreply 137July 19, 2016 10:41 PM

Ralph consistently says he works for the "Gotham City Bus Company." He usually works the Madison Avenue line.

Lucy and Ricky paid $125 a month for their 2 bedroom apartment versus $33 for the Kramden's. Of course Lucy's apartment was in the East River.

by Anonymousreply 138July 19, 2016 10:45 PM

I lived in a shot gun tenement in the East Village in 1986. Exciting times. . Seems as far away as Sally Bowles and the Weimar Republic.

by Anonymousreply 139July 19, 2016 10:46 PM

Aren't those kind of apartments also called railroad flats?

by Anonymousreply 140July 19, 2016 10:53 PM

No, a railroad flat is/was analogous to a train, hence the name. A narrow long hallway with small rooms off of it.

by Anonymousreply 141July 19, 2016 10:58 PM

Thanks R141. I wasn't sure what it was.

by Anonymousreply 142July 19, 2016 11:03 PM

Ralph was a mope. A big mope.

by Anonymousreply 143July 19, 2016 11:19 PM

[quote]Ricky didn't waste his money on get rich quick schemes like Ralph did.

Oh, really?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144July 19, 2016 11:34 PM

Well that railroad definition seems to match r131's description, that you need to walk through each room to get to the next.

There is no "hallway" per se in a railroad flat, since the rooms off it don't have a fourth wall or doorway...

by Anonymousreply 145July 19, 2016 11:36 PM

I could never picture Ralph and Alice fucking.

by Anonymousreply 146July 19, 2016 11:39 PM

I actually really like the curtains Alice got at r115

by Anonymousreply 147July 19, 2016 11:46 PM

Lucy and Ricky's apartment in color. This still looks pretty good today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148July 19, 2016 11:48 PM

I loved the episode where Alice wins a contest to get the whole apartment refurnished, only for Ralph to think she's having an affair with the interior decorator Andre(who more than likely was family), and screws the whole thing up by spying on them from the fire escape!

by Anonymousreply 149July 19, 2016 11:51 PM

For the above posters who ask why Alice was with Ralph, I have an amusing story. When I was kid in the 1970s, there was a couple in the neighborhood everyone used to call Ralph and Alice (government names: Jim and Kelly). The guy was big, fat and average looking like Ralph with a crappy blue collar job, while the wife was thin and pretty like Alice. Kelly/Alice had been a cheerleader in high school. Word was Jim just kind of blended in in high school. It was always the talk of the neighborhood as to why Kelly/Alice was with Ralph/Jim, although honestly they seemed like a nice couple who were happy together.

Well, one day when I was around 12 years old, I was in a public restroom, and back then the urinals were lined up on the wall with no separators like many of them have today. In comes Jim up to the urinal next to me. I would always sneak a peek at the guys next to me, so he was no exception. He pulled out a HUGE cock, big and veiny. I almost gasped it was so damn big. Now I knew why Kelly/Alice was always so happy!

The next day I was at my cousin's house. She was in her early 30s and she and her two kids lived nearby, so I'd stop to say hi sometimes. I was the youngest of all the cousins and she was the oldest, so we had a pretty unique bond because of that. I think she saw me as almost like a kid brother. She was always very candid with me and we talked about all kinds of adult things, which I found refreshing compared to my uptight mother. Anyway, her kids were outside and the topic of "Ralph and Alice" came up. I smirked and said I had recently figured out why Kelly was with Jim. My cousin shocked the hell out of me and said, "Oh, it's because he has a huge penis. I slept with him once when I was younger and he nearly killed me with it." Of course I was just a budding gayling back then, but damn I was jealous that my cousin got to get fucked by that massive wang!

So, perhaps Ralph was packing? Maybe he would send Alice to the moon after blasting a massive load while she was riding him? Hmm, now that I think about it, that's exactly how it would happen because It's easier to have sex with chubbier guys if they're laying on their back and you ride them. Damn, what I would have given to ride Jim/Ralph!

by Anonymousreply 150July 19, 2016 11:52 PM

Has anyone here ever noticed the similarities between The Honeymooners and The Flintstones?

by Anonymousreply 151July 19, 2016 11:59 PM

Actually the Honeymooners was a rip off of radio's "The Bickersons"

by Anonymousreply 152July 20, 2016 12:18 AM

R151 Chrissy-- for your next investigative report, check out "Sgt. Bilko" and "Top Cat."

by Anonymousreply 153July 20, 2016 12:31 AM

Yes R151! I first realized the connection when I noticed Top Cat's cronies were almost all voiced by cast members of Bilko. I loved TC, my favorite cartoon series after Bugs Bunny/Looney Tunes.

by Anonymousreply 154July 20, 2016 12:50 AM

Isn't it shantung shack?

by Anonymousreply 155July 20, 2016 2:43 AM

r145, I am the poster at r131 (definition of a shotgun apt.) and r141 (definition of a railroad flat).

It sounds like you haven't been in many low rent apartments in NY. There are definitely both kinds.

by Anonymousreply 156July 20, 2016 2:52 AM

Lizzie Borden had a shotgun house.

by Anonymousreply 157July 20, 2016 3:12 AM

Tunafish? What am I a cat or something?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158July 20, 2016 3:33 AM

You're gonna do the Mambo on the moon!

by Anonymousreply 159July 20, 2016 4:51 AM

Glow-in-the-dark wallpaper!

by Anonymousreply 160July 20, 2016 11:10 AM

Would Ralph be considered an abusive husband by today's standards? He's was always threatening to send Alice to the moon or give her one, "right in the kisser."

by Anonymousreply 161July 20, 2016 12:06 PM

Bensonhurst 0- 7441

by Anonymousreply 162July 20, 2016 2:06 PM

[quote]Would Ralph be considered an abusive husband by today's standards? He's was always threatening to send Alice to the moon or give her one, "right in the kisser."

Nope. The reason was Alice was never the least bit afraid of Ralph. Watch and see, Alice just sits there and stares, then tells him to "Shut up" or "buzz off." Audrey Meadows said, that if Alice had shown any fear or emotion, the audience would see Ralph as a bad guy. This way the audience only saw Ralph for what he was, a big blowhard, all talk.

Alice) What's wrong with you now?

Ralph) I got a stomach-ache

Alice) My...That is a big problem.

by Anonymousreply 163July 20, 2016 2:15 PM

Well, I don't want to look at that icebox, that stove, that sink and these four walls! I WANNA LOOK AT LIBERACE!

by Anonymousreply 164July 20, 2016 2:17 PM

"YOU! are a BLAAAAABEMOUTH.

by Anonymousreply 165July 20, 2016 3:33 PM

If these are the servant's quarters, I QUIT!

by Anonymousreply 166July 20, 2016 7:28 PM

[quote]Ralph consistently says he works for the "Gotham City Bus Company."

I remember it as the Gotham Bus Company, not Gotham City. Isn't that right?

by Anonymousreply 167July 20, 2016 8:47 PM

He brives a dus

by Anonymousreply 168July 21, 2016 2:21 AM

Yes, the Gotham Bus Company. Gotham City belongs to another television hero.

by Anonymousreply 169July 21, 2016 2:45 AM

Did Ralph wash his gunt in the kitchen sink?

by Anonymousreply 170July 21, 2016 3:52 AM

They had a bathroom sink, many time Ralph would go into the bedroom area to "wash up." So I assume the bathroom was in the bedroom.

by Anonymousreply 171July 21, 2016 1:53 PM

Ralph) You're the type to bend WAYYYY over to pick up a pocketbook on April Fool's Day. I wouldn't

Alice) You couldn't.

by Anonymousreply 172July 21, 2016 2:02 PM

And I might as well tell you somethin' else, right now: I get Thursdays and Sundays off, see? My work is through the minute the supper dishes are done. I don't work in no house where they got no pets, so you might as well get rid of one if you got one. If you're gonna have a party, I get time-and-a-half over and the next day off. And, uh, if you're planning on having any late snacks, I don't do no cleaning up the next morning. And this boy looks like he has plenty of late snacks.

by Anonymousreply 173July 21, 2016 2:05 PM

Ralph) What are you doin' with all that material, making a bed spread?

Alice) I'm lettin' your pants out, again.

Ralph) Don't you uh... think you let 'em out, a little too much?

Alice ) I haven't started yet.

by Anonymousreply 174July 21, 2016 2:09 PM

Minneapolis??? Gentlemen, we are going in the other direction to Norfolk, Virginia.

by Anonymousreply 175July 21, 2016 10:41 PM

Either that's wine on the table or somebody upstairs just got stabbed!

by Anonymousreply 176July 22, 2016 3:23 AM

We have to boomf our way out!

by Anonymousreply 177July 22, 2016 4:50 AM

ALICE (reading newspaper): It says here that Mrs. Delany asphyxiated herself.

RALPH: Had she left the gas on?

ALICE: No, she thought it was her comb.

by Anonymousreply 178July 22, 2016 5:01 AM

Does anyone know what that area of Brooklyn that the Kramden's were supposed to live in is like now? Is it still a working class neighborhood or has it been turned into Hipster Douche Central like Williamsburg?

by Anonymousreply 179July 22, 2016 12:09 PM

See r65

by Anonymousreply 180July 22, 2016 12:15 PM

We haven't talked about the gorgeous music that plays to the opening credits. What is that?

Was it written for the series? There's so much passion in that tune, in some ways it seems very much at odds with the comedic tone of the show and yet, it exemplifies the sustaining love of Ralph and Alice.

by Anonymousreply 181July 22, 2016 3:18 PM

R178 I...don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 182July 22, 2016 3:24 PM

My elderly grandfather, who grew up in Depression-era Brooklyn, has said that even he didn't live in an apartment as depressingly poor as that of the Kramdens.

by Anonymousreply 183July 22, 2016 3:49 PM

Agreed R181, the music was exquisite. My mother had one of his albums and it was the same lush wonderful sound.

by Anonymousreply 184July 22, 2016 6:41 PM

Were it not for Gleason's outsize personality, I don't think audiences wood have accepted the dreary set decor.

by Anonymousreply 185July 22, 2016 6:49 PM

The instrumental theme song for The Honeymooners, "You're My Greatest Love", was composed by star Jackie Gleason.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186July 22, 2016 6:51 PM

sorry, here's the correct link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187July 22, 2016 6:52 PM

^would have

by Anonymousreply 188July 22, 2016 6:54 PM

Jackie Gleason was considered an enormous whale of a fatass in his time, but today you see men who are fatter than he was everywhere you go. He doesn't look all that big today.

by Anonymousreply 189July 22, 2016 7:05 PM

Jackie Gleason was an enormous talent (and no not size-wise) He was not only funny, but a great actor and musician.

by Anonymousreply 190July 22, 2016 8:00 PM

It was a subversive show compared to what drivel was to come on American television for the 60s and 70s. The show's very title was sarcastic. It had a live audience of the canned laughter that pervaded sitcoms. Instead of wifey running to the door in pearls to greet husband with a kiss when he arrived home, the wife was as wisecracking as the husband was. They had no kids. They didn't live in suburbia or an oversized NYC apartment. Instead of mother-in-law jokes about an over-the-top woman, Ralph's mother in law also gave as good as she got.

Trixie was a nude dancer in the past. She and Ed didn't have kids either, and didn't want them. Characters paid for things on credit and talked about it instead of having a beautifully furnished home with all the modern luxuries. They didn't have cars. They argued all the time.

It wasn't until the 70s that tv tried to recapture working class families in sitcoms.

by Anonymousreply 191July 22, 2016 8:27 PM

[quote]Trixie was a nude dancer in the past. She and Ed didn't have kids either, and didn't want them.

Trixie worked in burlesque and there were "hints" of a runway, but that is all we really know. Trixie seemed very offended when anyone hinted she worked the runway.

by Anonymousreply 192July 22, 2016 10:00 PM

In one episode when Ralph is angry with Trixie, he says to her "If the shoe fits, take it off!". An obvious reference to Trixie being a stripper, and it made her livid.

by Anonymousreply 193July 22, 2016 10:20 PM

Hello ball!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194July 22, 2016 11:59 PM

There are a few references to Trixie's burlesque background in the lost episodes (e.g., Norton: "Every night I'd meet her backstage and hand her a rose ... It was her costume!").

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195July 23, 2016 12:01 AM

Who thought up the name The Honeymooners?

by Anonymousreply 196July 23, 2016 3:52 AM

Gleason did, R196. Another writer wanted to call it THE BEAST, but Gleason interjected and said "That doesn't work, he really loves this broad!". So he came up with THE HONEYMOONERS. The.first Alice was Pert Melton, but she was replaced when Gleason moved from the Dumont Network to CBS.

by Anonymousreply 197July 23, 2016 7:20 PM

R197 My name is Pert Kelton darling...

by Anonymousreply 198July 27, 2016 1:37 AM

Sorry Pert, it's the damn spell correct on my Kindle.

by Anonymousreply 199July 27, 2016 2:45 AM

Pert, it must be lovely to be named after a shampoo!

by Anonymousreply 200July 27, 2016 7:38 PM

R200 Thank you darling for noticing even though I got no royalties from those bitches Helen of Troy manufacturers. The nerve..

by Anonymousreply 201July 27, 2016 11:06 PM

And why was Trixie always mad? Because she was NOT a stripper. If she was she wouldn't have been so mad..

by Anonymousreply 202July 27, 2016 11:56 PM

Alice said there were nine million people in NYC, WRONG.

by Anonymousreply 203July 27, 2016 11:57 PM

I didn't call the doctor on account of the bump ON your head, I called the doctor on account of the bump IN your head!

by Anonymousreply 204July 28, 2016 2:31 AM

Just go for the gold, you've already got the pot!

by Anonymousreply 205July 28, 2016 9:58 PM

[quote]The.first Alice was Pert Melton, but she was replaced when Gleason moved from the Dumont Network to CBS.

I would say this is one of the very rare instances in which a replacement actor (in this case Audrey Meadows) turns out to be the greatest thing that ever happened to a show as opposed to the original cast member who came before. In fact, the only other case I can think of is Diana Rigg, whose Emma Peel was introduced years after "The Avengers" began but became Steed's greatest and most popular partner.

by Anonymousreply 206July 31, 2016 4:13 PM

Alice was turning tricks and taking working class loads in Manhattan at $3 per pop. Her place of business is now a Gap Kids store.

by Anonymousreply 207July 31, 2016 4:32 PM

[quote]Good question - just what did they do with their extra money. Yeah - they were low-income but not given to frills or extravagance, and Ralph was a tightwad. There must have been some left over. Maybe they had a few dollars in the bank ...

Hated the show because he treated her so bad. He wasn't a tightwad, he spent it all on himself. Didn't the Lodge have monthly dues? Wasn't he a bowler? I watched some reruns and stopped when he wouldn't let her have a phone.

by Anonymousreply 208July 31, 2016 4:40 PM

Those statements about Trixie were simply joke punchlines, not facts. You also hear Ralph saying, "Why is your drawer full of clothes, while there's only one pair of pants in my drawer?" And Alice says "'Cause one pair of your pants is all that will fit in that drawer."

That isn't reflective of reality, it's just a punchline, the same way when Ralph says "If the shoe fit's take it off." Neither are correct, they're just punchlines.

by Anonymousreply 209July 31, 2016 6:39 PM

I was the first to go.

by Anonymousreply 210August 1, 2016 5:52 AM

What about Alice's mambo lessons from a professional dancer? That couldn't have been cheap.

by Anonymousreply 211August 3, 2016 7:27 PM

And we all know Carlos Sanchez was a queen.

by Anonymousreply 212August 3, 2016 7:32 PM

Oh HAR-VEY??? Har, har HARV-VEY...He's gonna tell his friend HAR-VEEEE

by Anonymousreply 213August 4, 2016 6:24 PM

Harvey's a lovely name!

by Anonymousreply 214August 4, 2016 6:35 PM

My friend Harvey is even bigger than me.

by Anonymousreply 215August 4, 2016 6:35 PM

I have a friend Shirley who's bigger than you!

by Anonymousreply 216August 4, 2016 6:37 PM

A pox on you and all your ancestors!

by Anonymousreply 217August 4, 2016 6:39 PM

If I told you once, Alice, I told you a thousand times; don't carry that heavy basket of laundry.

Make two trips!

by Anonymousreply 218August 4, 2016 6:44 PM

:"Do you mind if I smoke?"

"I don't care if you burn!"

by Anonymousreply 219August 4, 2016 6:45 PM

Why oh why was I blessed with this musical talent?

by Anonymousreply 220August 4, 2016 6:50 PM

THAT'S Swanee River????

by Anonymousreply 221August 5, 2016 3:14 AM

So how exactly did the show end? Did Ralph and Alice make it out if thecity? Did they take Norton & Trixie with them? I always wanted them to have a baby. I imagine Alice really wanted a baby.

by Anonymousreply 222April 11, 2017 1:35 AM

I couldn't watch that show because of Jackie Gleason's screaming and that ugly, dirty stained apartment

by Anonymousreply 223April 11, 2017 1:47 AM

Off the market.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224April 11, 2017 1:47 AM

Chauncey Street is near a subway stop and although it isn't filled with hipster douches, they are circling.

by Anonymousreply 225April 11, 2017 1:51 AM

If I'd had my way I would have bulldozed that fucking apartment and put in an expressway.

by Anonymousreply 226April 11, 2017 1:54 AM

Sewer work doesn't pay that well.

by Anonymousreply 227April 11, 2017 2:10 AM

They had a window, OP. Hardley squalor.

by Anonymousreply 228April 11, 2017 2:12 AM

"All in the Family" was the first TV show that showed what my home was like. And from old photos, the Honeymooner's apartment would have been about right before my parents achieved 'prosperity'.

by Anonymousreply 229April 11, 2017 3:07 AM

The apartments were the same basically, but as Ralph put it Norton lives in dept. He has accounts at every major dept store. As Ralph says "So he has things, let him keep his things, I have peace of mind, our bank account is growing, there's $42 sitting in their accumulating interest."

Plus whenever Ralph had an extra money he spent it on fly-by-night schemes and his food bill probably was in the thousands.

by Anonymousreply 230April 25, 2017 6:48 AM

Pert Kelton was kicked off The Honeymooners and network television altogether because of blacklisting in the era of McCarthyism. Gleason and his producers tried to protect her reputation by stating that she left the show only due to illness. Gleason didn't want to let her go but CBS insisted. Luckily for Kelton, Broadway ignored the blacklists.

Incidentally, Kelton played a dance hall girl named "Trixie" in the 1933 film The Bowery. She returned to The Honeymooners in its 1960s incarnation as Ralph's mother-in-law, the mother of the character she had created.

by Anonymousreply 231April 25, 2017 7:42 AM

I agree it with the poster who asked what did Alice do? She would always bitch about housework but what was there to do?

by Anonymousreply 232April 25, 2017 8:12 AM

Alice had to change the drip pan under the ice box several times a day. She also had to put up with the ice man grumbling about having to lug blocks of ice up three floors for the only cheapskates in Brooklyn who still owned an ice box instead of a Frigidaire.

by Anonymousreply 233April 25, 2017 9:14 AM

[quote]She would always bitch about housework but what was there to do?

You're forgetting laundry. Handwashing one pair of Ralph's skidmarked undies would take the better part of a day, not to mention wear one out.

by Anonymousreply 234April 25, 2017 4:43 PM

Did they have laundromats back in that day?

by Anonymousreply 235April 26, 2017 5:23 AM

I hated that apartment. I hated watching the show because of it.

by Anonymousreply 236April 26, 2017 5:26 AM

Look what happened to YOUR washing machine

by Anonymousreply 237April 26, 2017 4:26 PM

I don't know how you put up with a mopse like me

by Anonymousreply 238August 18, 2017 11:47 AM

When I was a kid, Ricky and Lucy looked kind of plump. I am so old, most people were thin when I was a kid.

by Anonymousreply 239August 18, 2017 11:57 AM

It was weird but in the 50s, men did not want their wives to work. It was always a big fight, of course they were suppose to have children.

by Anonymousreply 240August 18, 2017 12:02 PM

Yes, hard to believe that this is NYC, but this how many people lived in the city back then. Given how Ralph wasted money, Alice could barely have enough for food. I'm sure people who are bus drivers today in the city can not afford to live there. I wonder if people back then even thought about what their apartments looked like.

by Anonymousreply 241August 18, 2017 12:08 PM

[quote]I am so old, most people were thin when I was a kid.

HFCS is a helluva drug.

by Anonymousreply 242August 18, 2017 12:24 PM

The apartment actually seemed dirty- it's not as though Alice actually did anything so why didn't she ever clean the place?

by Anonymousreply 243August 18, 2017 1:11 PM

I'm still reeling over how many of you have said that Gleason looks "normal" and "barely fit-fat" to modern eyes! He was a serious tub of lard back then and he still is now! He's a huge fatass.

Seriously, what kind of Trump-loving food desert wastelands do you peasants live in where he doesn't look fat to you??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244August 18, 2017 2:11 PM

Alice probably had to wash all the clothes and linens by hand. She didn't even have one of those hand cranks to squeeze water out of wet laundry. I'm surprised the Kramdens didn't have a bathtub in the kitchen along with a clothesline.

by Anonymousreply 245August 18, 2017 2:45 PM

Any pics of what the "updated" apartment looks like in the skits they did after the original run?

by Anonymousreply 246August 18, 2017 2:52 PM

I found it unbelievable that they at least couldn't afford window shades. We never saw their bedroom but they had one. Bus drivers may not have made much but they could have managed a few basics like another chair to sit in.

by Anonymousreply 247August 18, 2017 2:53 PM

This was the early days of TV. TV stage sets were modeled after stage sets you would see in the theater. The show was shot as if it was a play which is why you only see this one room, occasionally the bedroom door would open and you would see part of a dresser.

by Anonymousreply 248August 18, 2017 3:09 PM

Still, I never watched that show because the apartment set depressed me.

by Anonymousreply 249August 18, 2017 3:12 PM

[quote] The apartment actually seemed dirty- it's not as though Alice actually did anything so why didn't she ever clean the place?

My grandparents were poor. Their kitchen had been added to the house sometime in the early 1900s. Prior to that, the kitchen had been in the backyard. The reason for this was to keep the house from burning down if there was some kind of accident in the kitchen.

My sister moved into their house after they died. The kitchen foor was atrociously dirty. My sister and I decided to wash it as thoroughly as we could. We scrubbed, washed and dried that floor 3 times and it looked just as dirty as it always had. The linoleum was worn and scuffed and nothing made it look clean. Other parts of the kitchen had been discolored from years of kitchen smoke, grease, humidity and cigarette smoke. A window frame had cracked wood.

I used to call the kitchen "the honeymooners room."

But.... the bathroom was even worse. You can't imagine the horror. It was like a shed. It too had been added to the house in the early 1900s. It was a long, narrow, dank room inadequately lit by a bare lightbulb on the ceiling. You turned the lightbulb on by means of a dangling piece of string. At night, you walked into the bathroom and waved your hand around until it hit the string, since it was so dark you couldn't see it. Then you grabbed it and pulled on it. There were spider webs everywhere. We'd go in, knock the webs down with broom and mop handles and they'd be back the next day.

I always figured the honeymooners' apartment was old and dank and neglected by the landlord and that's why it never looked clean.

Thankfully, someone in the family bought my grandparent's house and remodeled it. They also put heat on the second floor. The house had a grate in the floor of the dining room. Inside the grate you could see metalworks. When the heat was on, the metalwork glowed red. There was one hole in the floor of the second story. That hole had a grate. The warm air from the first floor was supposed to rise through the grate and this was the heat source for the second floor. There were no bathrooms on the second floor because the pipes might freeze in winter. My mother told me that her bedroom had icicles on the window in winter. The icicles were inside, not outside of the house. Before going to bed, my mother and her siblings laid bricks on the first floor grate. When the bricks got hot, they'd each wrap theirs in a rag, run upstairs, pull back the covers on their beds and move the brick along the mattress and covers to warm them, then jump into bed and pull the covers tightly around them. Naturally, there were far too many children, but this was a good thing in winter, since there were two kids in each bed. They kept each other warm.

My grandfather was a drunk and that explained a lot.

by Anonymousreply 250August 18, 2017 3:13 PM

R250, someone should buy the rights to your story.

by Anonymousreply 251October 15, 2017 12:37 AM

for rent on 336 Chauncey St, Brooklyn, boy have times have changed:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252October 15, 2017 1:33 AM

A few tidbits:

- Jackie Gleason HATED to rehearse and was usually drunk or too busy chasing showgirls so they rarely rehearsed but he felt they were all able to give better, more natural performances because of it. Audrey and Joyce hated not rehearsing - the shows were live - but Jackie was the boss. There are numerous mistakes throughout the series that they just rolled with - one of the best being when Jackie realized his fly was open so he turned around to zip himself up and started cracking up. There were also doors that didn't close, cues that were missed and lines that were flubbed. All the stars really had to be on their toes.

- To the poster who said Jackie was big and fat and not really 'normal' by today's standards, his weight actually went up and down throughout his life, yo yo dieting, etc. And throughout the run of the show and its different incarnations, Jackie goes from being just a little heavy to being really large. The fat jokes obviously worked better when he was bigger.

- His music was the real deal and very very popular and well-appreciated. It wasn't a vanity project.

- His grandson is actor Jason Patric and he does bear a resemblance

-

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253October 15, 2017 2:54 AM

[quote]I found it unbelievable that they at least couldn't afford window shades. We never saw their bedroom but they had one. Bus drivers may not have made much but they could have managed a few basics like another chair to sit in.

They probably didn't want to bother. I live in Chicago and the older sections, the apartment building are very tall, narrow and only five feet (or less) from each other. In my flat, I have windows facing a wall. I could get shades, but why, no one can see in. I can only see out if I stretch my head at an angle. Several times you see the Kramdens doing just this, peering OUT the window and stretching to see anything.

Their flat likely faces a wall of the next apartment building and was high up on a very narrow alley. Though in some sketches it clearly faces a street.

Bus drivers DID make a decent living and the Kramdens couldn't afford anything better because Ralph wasted all this money on fly-by-night / get-rich-quick schemes.

And as Alice's mother observed (about food bills) "I don't doubt the bills are high, but how much of the food are you getting?"

by Anonymousreply 254October 15, 2017 4:10 AM

I was very poor as a kid and even my place looked better than that.

by Anonymousreply 255October 15, 2017 4:25 AM

Handprints by the light switch drive me nuts

by Anonymousreply 256October 15, 2017 6:12 AM

I found this show incredibly depressing.

I just couldn’t bear to watch it.

by Anonymousreply 257October 15, 2017 6:23 AM

Alice) the only thing I don't have is anything from the "World of Tomorrow"

Ralph) "World of Tomorrow"? You want the "World of Tomorrow"? You're going to the MOON

by Anonymousreply 258November 5, 2017 9:30 AM

Leave it there the cat'll get it.

by Anonymousreply 259November 5, 2017 9:30 AM

[quote]A shot gun apartment is one in which you have to go through one room to get to another. No hall ways. Very typical in NY tenements.

Native New Yorkers call those apartments railroad apartments or railroad flat. They still exist, those types of narrow ugly places get renovated, then some miserable landlord, or real estate corporation, gets outrageous rents for those horrible apartments. What some people will do to live in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 260November 5, 2017 9:58 AM

Gee, I didn't know Davy Crockett was so FAT!

by Anonymousreply 261November 5, 2017 1:35 PM

It always looked so filthy and grim yet Alice looked like a typical 50s housewife. She should have put on a pair of jeans and picked up a broom and a paintbrush.

by Anonymousreply 262November 5, 2017 2:29 PM

Shotgun apartments have no hallway. Railroad apartments have one long hallway that runs the length of the apartment with the rooms along it.

by Anonymousreply 263November 5, 2017 3:18 PM

"You're living off the fat of the land,Alice."

"Ralph,you are the fat of the land!"

by Anonymousreply 264November 5, 2017 4:06 PM

The sink and the icebox are just filthy. The sink looks like it would be in the janitor's closet of a bus station, and not because it's old but because it's dirty. I think they just went overboard on making the apartment look modest and ended up making it look miserable.

by Anonymousreply 265November 5, 2017 4:19 PM

The set design makes the show too depressing to watch.

by Anonymousreply 266November 5, 2017 4:28 PM

Agree r265.

In the early 90s, I had a friend who lived in the East Village. The claw foot bathtub was in the kitchen and it was used as storage with a board over it and became a counter. There was a shower stall next to it that they used for washing themselves.

There were two water closets in the hallway that they shared with their neighbors. I used it once, just for kicks. It was kind of weird.

by Anonymousreply 267November 5, 2017 4:29 PM

[quote]Shotgun apartments have no hallway. Railroad apartments have one long hallway that runs the length of the apartment with the rooms along it.

As a native New Yorker, I've never heard the term "shotgun" used to describe an apartment.

Not all railroad flats have a long hallway. A friend lived in a railroad apartment on Second Avenue around 31st Street, the rooms were larger than a regular railroad flat, they were essentially box rooms. There was no hallway in this apartment.

You entered the apartment through a door in the living room, you entered the other rooms by walking through each room, that's a basic railroad flat. The tub was in the kitchen. My friend put his own tub in! There was no bathroom. He shared a bathroom on his floor, it was a toilet with a small sink. The apartment was such a weird set up, but the rent was super low and he had few problems, quiet neighbors. no roaches and he always had heat in the Winter, so he stayed there for awhile, until the shady landlord had the entire huge building burned down!

Another friend had the apartment you described, a long hallway, which essentially separated the bedrooms from the living room and kitchen. You entered through one end of the long hallway, to the left was the first bedroom which he used as a guest room/office, then he had another small bedroom which he used as sort of walk-in closet, the master bedroom was the third bedroom which was located at the front of the building.

At the other end of his long hallway, you entered a living room, the next room, which was basically the other end of the apartment, he had a fairly large kitchen. This friend was living in Bushwick long before it became expensive and filled with hipsters, this apartment was passed on to him from a relative. This building also no longer exists, I think senior housing has replaced the entire two blocks of similar buildings, his building was on Grove Street between Knickerbocker and Wilson Avenues, the next block was Bleecker Street. Yes, there's a Grove and Bleecker in Manhattan.

by Anonymousreply 268November 6, 2017 3:40 AM

I wouldn't "ooh-ooh" you for anything in the world. Never again will I "ooh-ooh" you! You're a traitor and a turncoat, a disgrace to that uniform and the Raccoon Lodge! I should "ooh-ooh" you?

by Anonymousreply 269November 7, 2017 3:12 AM

Ralph Kramden: What are you doing with all this material, making a bed spread?

Alice Kramden: No, I'm lettin' your pants out again.

Ralph Kramden: Don't you, uh, think you let 'em out a little too much?

Alice Kramden: I haven't started yet.

by Anonymousreply 270November 7, 2017 3:12 AM

Har-har-hardy-har-har

by Anonymousreply 271November 7, 2017 3:16 AM

Ralph) Nobody's one hundred percent.

Alice) You are. You've been wrong every time!

by Anonymousreply 272November 7, 2017 3:18 AM

How did we get from a serious interesting discussion of the Kramden's apartment to quoting dialog from the series?

by Anonymousreply 273November 7, 2017 3:43 AM

Why does Ralph keep telling Alice

"Baby you're the gayest?"

by Anonymousreply 274November 7, 2017 5:11 PM

What WAS that cat doing in this apartment?

by Anonymousreply 275November 9, 2017 9:20 PM

I call you killer, 'cause you SLAY me

by Anonymousreply 276November 14, 2017 3:18 AM

That wasn't a cat you had your raccoon hat on backwards

by Anonymousreply 277November 24, 2017 12:52 AM

Back then you didn't grocery shop for the week, you shopped for meals every day and you cooked pretty much by scratch. And laundry was done by hand. No vacuums for the struggling, you cleaned everything on your hands and knees. Alice was busy but not the kind of work that brings in money.

by Anonymousreply 278November 24, 2017 3:41 AM

EVERYBODY'S DOING IT? I don't do it, Norton doesn't do it. My GRANDMOTHER never did it.

by Anonymousreply 279November 24, 2017 6:28 AM

How did the series end? Did they ever make it out of that dingy tenement? Did Ralph ever get that big promotion?

by Anonymousreply 280December 8, 2018 10:10 PM

No, R280, they never made it out of that apartment. There was no series finale and the last episode was just a regular installment like any other. In fact, IIRC, when they had those "Honeymooners" reunion specials (in the '70s I think), they were still living there.

by Anonymousreply 281December 8, 2018 10:35 PM

I just had an argument with a friend about this recently. I hated that dingy apartment. What a pig sty. Alice deserved better than that apartment and also deserved better than Ralph. What creepy guy.

by Anonymousreply 282December 8, 2018 10:43 PM

The only realistic NYC apartment where blue collar working people live ever shown on TV. The only thing missing was close ups of the roaches and mice.

by Anonymousreply 283December 8, 2018 10:45 PM

[qiuote]The only realistic NYC apartment where blue collar working people live ever shown on TV. The only thing missing was close ups of the roaches and mice.

Please, no one in my family who was working class and blue collar professionals (plumbers etc) and had a steady job, let alone worked for the city, lived in a hovel like the Kramden's apartment!

People without jobs lived like the Kramden's not working class working people. Everyone in my family who lived in a Brooklyn railroad flat style apartments had all the amenities middle class people had!

Rents back then were extremely low, one week's salary or less! There was no reason for working people to live like that in the 1950s. I always asked my mom about this series, she said this show was highly exaggerated. I wasn't born in the 1950s, but I do remember how my poorer relatives apartments looked in the 1960s, nothing like this depressing dump.

Care to explain how Norton, who worked in the sewers, had a lovely normal apartment? I don't recall if Trixie worked. Wouldn't Ralph have earned more as a bus driver? Wasn't his job considered more skilled than a sewer workers?

How about Ralph was simply a cheap bastard? Yet he seemed to have money for his Elk club fees and to go bowling?!

by Anonymousreply 284December 8, 2018 11:14 PM

How much did the Ricardos pay for their apartment?

by Anonymousreply 285December 8, 2018 11:16 PM

[quote]The only realistic NYC apartment where blue collar working people live ever shown on TV. The only thing missing was close ups of the roaches and mice.

Please, how old are you? No one in my family who was working class and blue collar professionals (plumbers etc) and had a steady job, let alone worked for the city (where salaries were always decent), lived in a hovel like the Kramden's disgusting depressing apartment!

People without jobs lived like the Kramden's not working class working people. Everyone in my family who lived in a Brooklyn railroad flat style apartments had all the amenities middle class people had!

Rents back then were extremely low, one week's salary or less! There was no reason for working people to live like that in the 1950s. I always asked my mom about this series, she said this show was highly exaggerated. I wasn't born in the 1950s, but I do remember how my poorer relatives apartments looked in the 1960s, nothing like this depressing dump.

Care to explain how Norton, who worked in the sewers, had a lovely normal apartment? I don't recall if Trixie worked. Wouldn't Ralph have earned more as a bus driver? Wasn't his job considered more skilled than a sewer workers?

How about Ralph was simply a cheap bastard? Yet he seemed to have money for his Elk club fees and to go bowling?!

by Anonymousreply 286December 8, 2018 11:16 PM

[quote]How much did the Ricardos pay for their apartment?

Ricky was a professional semi-well known working musician with a steady gig at a NYC nightclub. As the series went on, Ricky became more famous. You cannot compare I Love Lucy with The Honeymooners.

by Anonymousreply 287December 8, 2018 11:19 PM

Ricky paid $125 (at the series end for their two bedroom apt). Ralph paid $33/month..

by Anonymousreply 288May 2, 2020 6:18 AM

[quote]A shot gun apartment is one in which you have to go through one room to get to another. No hall ways.

Nope, it's actually the opposite. You're describing a "railroad" tenement apartment where each room is end to end with the next like a series of railroad cars. A "shotgun" apartment has a very long narrow hallway on one side and all of the rooms are off of the one hallway which runs like the barrel of a shotgun. I've lived in both, a shotgun is much better for privacy, you're not having to trudge through one room to get to another.

by Anonymousreply 289May 2, 2020 7:11 AM

Contrary to popular belief neither the Cramdens nor Nortons were "poor".

Both Ralph Cramden and Ed Norton earned same salary; $62.00/wk, which equals $3,334.00 for a 52 week year. The average household income for 1950 was $3,300 (U.S. Census data). So even by 1955 the Kramdens weren't that badly off.

As noted Ed Norton was willing to go into debt to gussy up his apartment so Trixie could have modern conveniences including a better furnished apartment. Ralph Kramden being a tight fisted SOB kept his wife on a tight lead and that including spending on household goods/furnishings.

Immediate post war years well into late 1950's saw a shortage of affordable and decent housing. New York City then like many other urban areas was still full of old five or six floor "cold water flat" type apartment housing. You can watch any television show or film set in this time period from NYC to SF and see same sort of conditions.

NYC rental housing for most part was still under rent control laws in 1955, and the Kramdens cold water flat was under that scheme. The LL in one episode talks about having to go down to the rent board to petition for an increase in rents. The Kramdens were lucky to have the apartment they did, and didn't have to share it with in-laws or other adult family.

Of course during 1950's many were fleeing cities for the new developments in suburbs like Levittowns. But often these families had help from the GI Bill and other benefits for veterans; neither Ralph or Ed seemed to have served (or at least cannot recall it being mentioned), so that avenue was cut off.

Like Ricky and Lucy Ricardo the Kramdens address is not exactly where said in NYC. The real 328 Chauncey Street, Brooklyn is in Stuyvesant Heights, not Bensonhurst.

by Anonymousreply 290May 2, 2020 10:24 AM

R53

Ralph Kramden worked for a private bus company (of which there were many then) who had contracts to operate surface transportation. In fact up until city took over subways, buses, what was left of street cars and elevated train lines they were all operated by private companies under charters from city. There were some exceptions to this; such as the IND subway line which was built by the city.

Upshot was that Ralph Kramden wasn't a municipal employee.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291May 2, 2020 10:39 AM

One thing loved about Alice Kramden from the start was that she gave as good as she got. There were more husbands and wives in NYC and elsewhere like the Kramdens than Ozzie and Harriet.

Ralph: [to Alice] Let's get something straight right now, right here and now: a man's home is just like a ship. And on this ship, I am the captain. I am the captain of this ship, do you understand that? You are nothing but a lowly, third-class seaman. That's all you are. Your duties are to get the mess, swab the deck and see that the captain feels good. That's all you have to do. Remember, you're nothing a third-class seaman. I'm the captain.

[He notices that Alice is leaving and he stops her]

Ralph: Where are you going?

Alice: Seaman Kramden, third class, is retiring to the poop deck until this big wind blows over.

[leaves the room]

by Anonymousreply 292May 2, 2020 10:44 AM

Alice went to visit friends, and she went to the picture show. She probably went to the market nearly every day. Maybe she like lady ham and had some girlfriends.

by Anonymousreply 293May 2, 2020 11:23 AM

PBS had a series, Pioneers of Television, that included an episode on early sitcoms. That's where I learned the Honeymooners sitcom lasted one season. It was knocked out in the ratings by? The Perry Como Show. That was another surprise. To me he was that sleepy old singer ridiculed on SCTV, but he was immensely popular in the 50s. His show almost knocked out the Dick van Dyke Show as well.

Pioneers of Television also had an episode about early variety shows, which is where I learned Pat Boone ?!? had had a half-hour variety show. Dick van Dyke gained a lot of early exposure appearing on Boone's show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294May 2, 2020 12:36 PM

[quote]One thing loved about Alice Kramden from the start was that she gave as good as she got.

How true, one of the best lines

Ralph) Remember Alice, I'm the boss, what I say goes

Alice) Well then you better say "Alice," 'cause I'm going

by Anonymousreply 295May 2, 2020 2:30 PM

How does Ralph owe $180???

For what???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 296May 2, 2020 2:37 PM

How does Ralph owe $180???

For what???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 297May 2, 2020 2:37 PM

R67

You're talking about something like Tier I state and local NY employees, which most have either retired or soon will be out the door. Tiers 2-5 began some reforms with the latter capping OT as part of pension at about $15k IIRC (indexed for inflation).

Grew up in the 1970's with family and parents of friends who were NYC or NYS civil servants that worked insane amounts of OT in their last years before putting in papers. I swear on paper it looks as if they worked 20 or more hours per day; but they got nice fat pensions.

Last time this really happened in large numbers was in aftermath of 9/11/01. So many FDNY and NYPD among other workers put in huge amounts of OT that they really had to retire when they could. If they remained those extra years would have diluted their pensions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298May 2, 2020 2:45 PM

NYC transit bus drivers earn about $60k per year plus very good benefits and of course pension.

Would be tight raising a family today in city on that kind of money, but if both husband and wife work total household income can easily be well over $110k per year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 299May 2, 2020 2:54 PM

Think that dreadful Kramden apartment was more for dramatic effect than anything else. Any self respecting NYC or wherever wife would have tried to fix the place up. Alice like most women of her generation likely knew how to sew, and if she didn't own a machine probably could borrow one somewhere to run up curtains.

One thing to keep in mind is that NYS did not discontinue war time rent control laws when that event ended. Thus much like today still LL's didn't have much incentive to put money into their buildings or apartments because city was setting the rents.

Talk to people who lived in city in 1970's or even 1980's; there were still plenty of rent regulated apartments that looked as if they hadn't been touched in decades. Am not just talking about Harlem, South Bronx, East Village, Lower East Side.. but even in Greenwich or West Village, Chelsea, etc.

Some are still like this today well into 2000's. People moved in ages ago and never left.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 300May 2, 2020 3:13 PM

Or this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 301May 2, 2020 3:14 PM

Ralph had a meth and gambling problem.

by Anonymousreply 302May 2, 2020 3:14 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 303May 2, 2020 3:15 PM

2016?

Really?

by Anonymousreply 304May 2, 2020 3:43 PM

People the REASON, as stated in some of these posts, that Ralph had no money is he SPENT IT on GET RICH QUICK SCHEMES.

by Anonymousreply 305May 2, 2020 6:54 PM

r304

Why don't you step in front of Ralph's bus

by Anonymousreply 306May 2, 2020 6:54 PM

R290:

328 Chauncey St. is in Bushwick.

[quote] GI Bill and other benefits for veterans; neither Ralph or Ed seemed to have served (or at least cannot recall it being mentioned), so that avenue was cut off.

Ed Norton was a WWII vet who served in the Navy. He used his GI Bill money to enroll in typing school. It has been mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 307May 2, 2020 7:26 PM

[quote] A string of poloponies.

That’s POLO PONIES!

by Anonymousreply 308May 2, 2020 7:27 PM

Would you bother to fix up your apartment if every night your husband was threatening to send you to the moon? Alice was TV's first battered wife.

by Anonymousreply 309May 2, 2020 8:15 PM

Fun fact: Outside of Port Authority in Manhattan, there's a statue of Jackie Gleason.

by Anonymousreply 310May 2, 2020 8:16 PM

R302

You might say Bushwick, others might say Bushwick, but today equally as many others (including RE babble) say 328 Chauncey street is in "Stuyvesant Heights" .

For various reasons RE persons and others have renamed and or pushed boundaries of many Brooklyn neighborhoods. Largely to make them more appealing to the hordes of transplants who have arrived in past two decades, and still keep coming.

South Brooklyn is now "Park Slope South" for instance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 311May 3, 2020 4:35 AM

"When he conceived The Honeymooners, Jackie Gleason insisted that the Kramden apartment be modeled after one of his boyhood homes in the Bushwick section of Brooklyn: 328 Chauncey Street, apartment 3-A. “The place was dull. The bulbs weren’t very bright. The surroundings were very bare,” Gleason said of the tenement apartment."

by Anonymousreply 312May 3, 2020 4:57 AM

[quote]Alice was TV's first battered wife.

How? Ralph never hit Alice, and Alice gave as good as she got, right back in Ralph's fat ass

by Anonymousreply 313May 3, 2020 5:34 AM

Jackie Gleason modeled the Kramden's apartment after a 1930's cold water tenement flat. There was no reason for Ralph and Alice to live that way in 1950's, especially since Ralph made decent enough money.

Surprisingly plenty of people in 1950's NYC still had ice boxes. Largest customers likely would be households living in old rental housing that either LL was too cheap to provide modern fridges, there wasn't wiring yet to provide juice to run the things, and or any combination of the two.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 314May 3, 2020 6:22 AM

[quote] For various reasons RE persons and others have renamed and or pushed boundaries of many Brooklyn neighborhoods. Largely to make them more appealing to the hordes of transplants

Well, of course. Real estate agents are trying to make the neighborhood (any neighborhood) more appealing to a potential buyer. That doesn’t mean it’s not Bushwick. I can call my post “r315 Gardens,” doesn’t make it any more special than any other post on DL; and it doesn’t detract from the fact that it’s still on DL.

by Anonymousreply 315May 3, 2020 12:28 PM

The few times they shows Trixie and Norton's apartment it was a lovely space. The absolute opposite of the Kramden's apartment.

by Anonymousreply 316May 3, 2020 12:31 PM

That apartment now rents for $3,200 a month.

by Anonymousreply 317May 3, 2020 12:33 PM

The few times they showED

by Anonymousreply 318May 3, 2020 12:35 PM

[quote] That apartment now rents for $3,200 a month.

A mere bag of shells.

*snaps fingers*

by Anonymousreply 319May 3, 2020 12:37 PM

I thought the Honeymooners was the most depressing show I ever watched...hated it. I dont understand its cult following

by Anonymousreply 320May 3, 2020 1:11 PM

One word, r320.

Funny.

by Anonymousreply 321May 3, 2020 1:17 PM

r319

Ralph) Peanuts, peanuts, what am I supposed to do with peanuts?

Alice) Eat them, like any other elephant.

by Anonymousreply 322May 3, 2020 1:43 PM

When I lived in Park Slope there was the "South Slope" which was 3rd to 5th Ave. By the 90s 4th to 5th was solidly gentrified and felt like Park Slope. I never heard of "Park Slope South" in that order but I left decades ago. I remember "South Slope".

by Anonymousreply 323May 3, 2020 1:51 PM

You know, just think if we got sent back 100 years it'd be 1920. Radio hadn't yet become the norm. TV didn't yet exist in any form that we'd expect. Oh books were around, and magazines, newspapers and other periodicals.

Now of course it's all online. Music, Video, books, magazines, newspapers. It's funny I read on how to make a pinata and they say use strips of newsprint. Um, don't get that anymore. Just junk mail which I dispose.

by Anonymousreply 324May 3, 2020 4:50 PM

I was around and I was HIGH-stair-ick-AL

Remember Safety First in these times and the future. Or at least try.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 325May 3, 2020 9:40 PM

r323

It still is "South Slope", but some people felt need to upmarket things to "Park Slope South".

They keep renaming places to make transplants feel better about paying huge sums to rent or own in former working to middle class neighborhoods.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 326May 4, 2020 4:11 AM

My grandmother was a fan of Gleason. She wrote him a letter and mentioned they shared the same birthday, February 26, 1916. On her next birthday she received a signed photo and a dozen roses from the Great One himself.

by Anonymousreply 327May 4, 2020 7:03 PM

R327 another time! sweet

by Anonymousreply 328May 4, 2020 7:21 PM

I bet that was just some fat guy stalking her.

by Anonymousreply 329May 5, 2020 3:34 PM

Would they have made it through coronavirus in that dingy apartment? I think Ralph would be one of the ones to refuse to wear a mask.

Did they have a bathroom inside or did they share one with the rest of the tenants on their floor?

by Anonymousreply 330August 26, 2020 12:24 AM

This may have been mentioned (I haven't read through the whole thread), but they did show the Norton's apartment a few times and it was quite lovely.

by Anonymousreply 331August 26, 2020 12:31 AM

R331, didn't the Norton's have a black and white tv?

by Anonymousreply 332August 26, 2020 12:59 AM

[quote]She must have been horribly bored all day as cleaning the apartment would probably only take about 10 minutes.

What cleaning? Those walls always looked filthy.

by Anonymousreply 333August 26, 2020 1:10 AM

Alice and Trixie saw gentlemen callers during the day.

by Anonymousreply 334August 26, 2020 1:12 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!