Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sally Jesse Raphael

I never got her appeal at all.

She always looked angry & miserable & I always got the impression she thought she was better and wiser than every single person on her show.

Questions, questions:

Was anyone here a fan? What did you or did you not like about her? Why was she so successful for so long?

(This thread is a fallout from the current Oprah thread, which is pretty fucking funny).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62December 17, 2018 5:57 AM

When she was young, she was great on the radio, discussing problems with callers and talking about nothing in particular.

Her TV show sucked.

by Anonymousreply 1July 4, 2016 2:36 PM

She was very "down to earth" with her audience. That was her appeal.

by Anonymousreply 2July 4, 2016 3:18 PM

I don't know if I was a "fan," but I watched all the daytime talk shows whenever I had a chance (was in school back then so pretty much all summer, and on sick days). I would say my favorites were Oprah and Ricki Lake, then in the middle category were Sally Jessy, Jenny Jones, Maury, Jerry Springer & Richard Bey for the sheer ridiculousness. My least favorites were Montel, Geraldo, and all of the lesser shows that only got a season or two (there were probably a couple dozen, mostly forgotten now). Still, I would watch any of them that were on.

Anyway, Sally had some interesting guests like Tula the transsexual, and that weird androgynous person Toby. I wonder what pronouns Toby uses today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 4, 2016 3:47 PM

[quote] so pretty much all summer

LOL

[quote]and on sick days

LOL # 2

by Anonymousreply 4July 4, 2016 3:54 PM

Sally was an early advocate for gay rights.

by Anonymousreply 5July 4, 2016 3:57 PM

In the late 90s the producer and syndicator wanted to increase ratings to compete with Povich and Springer. The program switched to skeezy. subjects. When that failed the show was canceled in 2002 after 18 years.

by Anonymousreply 6July 4, 2016 4:07 PM

[quote] I would say my favorites were Oprah and Ricki Lake

Ricki was too trashy for me, though I did enjoy Oprah. I don't care who know.

[quote]My least favorites were Montel, Geraldo,

I couldn't watch them either.

by Anonymousreply 7July 4, 2016 4:11 PM

** who knowS**

by Anonymousreply 8July 4, 2016 4:12 PM

Sally Jessy Raphael was the best - pro gay rights, bright red-rimmed glasses, 3-names, gravitas, etc. She was the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 9July 4, 2016 4:15 PM

I remember when the tone of her show changed overnight from the caring, sharing show -middle class women crying into their handkerchiefs to low lives, gang bangers, pushers etc ...

My favorite Sally guest from the "trashy" era - The delightful Icepick

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 4, 2016 4:30 PM

A drag queen before her time.

by Anonymousreply 11July 4, 2016 4:42 PM

LOL "I'll work that bitch on Sun-SET"

by Anonymousreply 12July 4, 2016 4:46 PM

I never got the appeal of talk shows in general. Less so when the majority became trash talk and shock value. Paternity test based comedy.

by Anonymousreply 13July 4, 2016 4:50 PM

Wasn't Sally a Jewish girl trying to pass herself as Puerto Rican? I remember her talking about screwing around on her husband. Who would fuck her? Either her lovers were hard up or smelled her bank account.......

by Anonymousreply 14July 4, 2016 5:02 PM

That new wave owl look of Sally Jesse's was adopted by many a high school guidance counsellor back in the day

by Anonymousreply 15July 4, 2016 5:05 PM

WASN'T she better and wiser than everyone on her show?

by Anonymousreply 16July 4, 2016 5:21 PM

Nobody did male strippers like Phil Donahue.

by Anonymousreply 17July 4, 2016 5:23 PM

Liked her radio talk show. Fell asleep listening to it. TV show was junk.

by Anonymousreply 18July 4, 2016 6:27 PM

I never did care for her. She always thought she was superior to everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 19July 4, 2016 6:29 PM

I still remember the show with a woman whose husband left her and their kids when he admitted that he was gay. He subsequently contacted AIDS. She brought him home to care for him through that horrible 80s era wasting death. Sally asked her where the forgiveness came from. The ex-wife poignantly shared how she had seen so many young men rejected and shunned by their families and friends just when they needed them most. She said, "We can do better than that. We HAVE to do better than that." I never forgot her words, or the compassion in her voice.

by Anonymousreply 20July 4, 2016 6:53 PM

Could never stand her. An ersatz Donohue and dare I say even an ersatz Oprah.

by Anonymousreply 21July 4, 2016 7:41 PM

What is she doing these days? Any plans for a come-back?

by Anonymousreply 22July 4, 2016 9:29 PM

She became hysterically bitter when her show was cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 23July 4, 2016 9:32 PM

There are clips of Donahue's male strippers. Wow. The construction worker is HAWT!!

by Anonymousreply 24July 4, 2016 9:33 PM

Loved Pat Ferari, Sally's expert shrink. Catchphrase: 'I don't give a damn...!' We could do with some of that tough love in this special snowflake era.

by Anonymousreply 25July 4, 2016 10:37 PM

Hated her for her incessant pushing of "The Moffatts." Give it up, Sally--they ain't gonna happen.

by Anonymousreply 26July 5, 2016 4:05 AM

Ricki Lake was my girl! I'd rush home from school and have my ass planted firmly in that chair for my daily 4pm fix of GO RICKI! GO RICKI!

by Anonymousreply 27July 5, 2016 4:15 AM

My favorite was Carnie Wison.

Just kidding. She sucked.

by Anonymousreply 28July 5, 2016 4:22 AM

And what about me, you cunts???

by Anonymousreply 29July 5, 2016 4:32 AM

[quote]And what about me, you cunts??? —Miss Charles Perez

[bold]Who?[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 30July 5, 2016 5:41 AM

Ricki Lake was THE BOMB. She was ALL THAT AND A BAG OF CHIPS. Omg I miss that trashy show so much.

Sally Jesse started with a radio show called "Talk Net" or something like that in the early 1980's. It was on AM radio and was a general call-in advice type of talk show.

by Anonymousreply 31July 5, 2016 5:47 AM

I was so psyched when I heard Ricki was getting a new talk show…until I watched the first episode and found that it wasn't the old '90s trashy format. Never watched it again, and alas it was cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 32July 5, 2016 1:18 PM

Dr. Phil wishes he were Sally Jessy.

by Anonymousreply 33July 5, 2016 1:54 PM

Her Sesame Street alias was Sally Messy Raphael and she was related to Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 34June 29, 2018 8:20 AM

[quote]My least favorites were Montel, Geraldo,

Figues how'd you hate the minorities.

by Anonymousreply 35June 29, 2018 8:22 AM

I remember an episode where there was two Southern guys, where one was sleeping his friend's wife.

One guy exclaimed that the other wasn't circumcised.

SJR replied 'so?'

So DL.............

by Anonymousreply 36June 29, 2018 8:26 AM

I think she was unhappy.

by Anonymousreply 37June 29, 2018 8:34 AM

The last minute of this shown on « Exodus » is great, with her deadpan delivery of biblical « nonsense ».

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 29, 2018 8:41 AM

Enough with bumping old threads to hide the news you don't want to hear, troll.

by Anonymousreply 39June 29, 2018 8:58 AM

Miss Bossy Boots Troll has arrived.

by Anonymousreply 40June 29, 2018 9:12 AM

Ricki Lake was awful.

She had to go introduce new guests every 5 minutes because she was such a terrible interviewer. Couldn’t hold a conversation with anyone and never learned to listen. Trainwreck television.

by Anonymousreply 41June 29, 2018 9:18 AM

She was better on radio.

by Anonymousreply 42June 29, 2018 2:57 PM

She is anti gay and pro trans

by Anonymousreply 43December 12, 2018 11:47 PM

She had a cameo on Hurricane Bianca From Russia with Hate.

by Anonymousreply 44December 12, 2018 11:58 PM

What was the deal with Jenny Jones? Didn't some guy get murdered after he was outed for lusting after his friend or something, which was all revealed on the show? So sad.

by Anonymousreply 45December 13, 2018 12:11 AM

She was such a demogogue.

by Anonymousreply 46December 13, 2018 12:15 AM

Funny that this thread should be bumped today, with so much going on politically.

Just the other day, I was thinking about a Sally Jesse Raphael show dealing with smaller businesses that, unexpectedly, became wildly successful. One of the guests was Anita Roddick, who started The Body Shop. Part of the interview went like this:

RAPHAEL: So, what is success in America? Is it, say, Donald Trump?

RODDICK: Eww! God help America if it is!

Well, wasn't that prescient?

by Anonymousreply 47December 13, 2018 12:26 AM

I used to listen to her on NBC's short-lived TalkNet radio network. She was great in that format, and vastly superior to today's AM hate talk.

by Anonymousreply 48December 13, 2018 1:09 AM

Loved her red spectacles!

by Anonymousreply 49December 13, 2018 1:46 AM

Watch this little gem

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50December 13, 2018 2:30 AM

80s. New Haven:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51December 13, 2018 7:14 AM

I'd like to see some old episodes that aren't currently on YouTube.

Any ideas?

by Anonymousreply 52December 13, 2018 2:58 PM

I watched Ricki Lake, but she was never really one of my favorites. I liked Jenny Jones more, and Sally, Oprah and Geraldo. I watched them all, they were practically the only pro-gay people in the media at the time. Geraldo turned out to be a Fox News scumbag, but he seemed likable at the time, and was sexiest host. Donahue was coming off as an old curmudgeon at the time, but after he was canceled, I missed the fact that he wasn't afraid to be political, because his replacement, Oprah, wasn't political at all. I lost interest in Oprah after she swore off being a tabloid talk-show, after that she wasn't as fun and I only watched her on and off.

by Anonymousreply 53December 15, 2018 5:16 PM

I liked Sally in the 80s only.

by Anonymousreply 54December 15, 2018 5:22 PM

I liked Leeza Gibbons. She used to get high on coke and diddle herself in hotel room windows.

by Anonymousreply 55December 15, 2018 5:46 PM

I forgot about Leeza, was that a long running one? There was an explosion of new talk shows in the mid-late 90s, but most only lasted 1 season.

by Anonymousreply 56December 15, 2018 5:49 PM

I liked Lezza.

by Anonymousreply 57December 15, 2018 5:53 PM

What r55? Explain

by Anonymousreply 58December 15, 2018 5:59 PM

Lezza

by Anonymousreply 59December 15, 2018 9:11 PM

A long time ago, when she still had some recognition (15 or so years ago, perhaps?), there was a BI which was obviously about her. Basically, it stated that she had a coke habit and that, once, when she was high on it and out of town, she masturbated in front of the window of her hotel room.

by Anonymousreply 60December 15, 2018 9:50 PM

Jane Whitney took Sally's shock format and tailored it EXACTLY to the frau audience. Few brawls like Geraldo and Morton Downey Jr., but sick topics where Jane could look in the camera and cluck her tongue in feigned shock and dismay.

Her interview with shock rocker GG Allin and his groupies was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 61December 15, 2018 10:46 PM

What does her face look like today?

by Anonymousreply 62December 17, 2018 5:57 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!