Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gwyneth Paltrow on Once Being Dubbed the 'Most Hated Celebrity': 'More Than, Like, Chris Brown? What Did I Do?'

Gwyneth Paltrow is opening up about the negative attention she sometimes gets as a Hollywood fixture. The Iron Man star told Stephen Sackur, host of the BBC News’ Hard Talk, that being picked as the “Most Hated Celebrity” in 2013 left her feeling slightly bemused.

“First of all I was like, ‘I’m the most hated celebrity?’ ” asked an incredulous Paltrow, before laughing. “More than, like, Chris Brown? What did I do?” Paltrow said, however, that she is not about to change her ways just to keep off a list. “All I can do is be my authentic self,” she said. “But I think there are things about me that make people draw conclusions. For example, there is the perception that I grew up very wealthy and that I was given, you know … That I was sort of raised with a silver spoon in my mouth, which inspires a lot of resentment.” The truth, Paltrow maintained, is that while she had an idyllic upbringing and attended Spence School in Manhattan, her late father Bruce Paltrow told her that she was on her own upon graduation.

“He said, ‘You are completely on your own,’ ” she added. “So he never gave me anything: I never had any supplementation, he never helped me with my rent, I never had a trust fund. So the idea that I am spoiled or that I didn’t work for what I have, that’s just not accurate. But I can see how somebody might have that perception.” Another misconception? That Paltrow is a prima donna about her dining choices. “People tend to think that I eat just seaweed and a bit of air,” she said, nothing that in reality, “I have never had a horrible experience with French fries. French fries are my life!” Since giving birth to daughter Apple, 12, and son Moses, 10, with ex Chris Martin, Paltrow has placed acting on the back burner. These days movie-making is very much secondary to the business of running her lifestyle website Goop, she said.

Despite no longer being a red carpet regular, however, Paltrow remains keenly aware of the feminist issues recently raised by the likes of Jennifer Lawrence, Charlize Theron and Keira Knightley, and described the idea of equal pay in particular as “very important.”

Having started her career in an era of “robust budgets and a lot of female stories,” she recognizes that there are less female stories currently being told. Yet, she also has the experience to know this won’t always be the case. To Paltrow, the key is simply to remain patient. “As women in the culture now we are always trying to push forward and move the needle and reach for equality and demand equality,” she said. “It’s like a super tanker: you know, you can’t turn it a really quick turn. It’s sort of a slow turn. But I think we’re getting there.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210May 31, 2018 2:12 AM

"French fries are my life!"

The mark of the devil.

by Anonymousreply 1July 1, 2016 4:39 AM

I think Gwyneth being her "authentic self" was sufficient to earn her that coveted title.

Oh, and you can blow me, Gwyneth.

by Anonymousreply 2July 1, 2016 4:47 AM

acting is secondary now because acting was never really her thing...she did it because she was connected

by Anonymousreply 3July 1, 2016 4:48 AM

I honestly don't believe that she didn't receive ANY help.

Notice how she said that she never received any help from her FATHER. All of the "no financial help" references are about her father. But what about her mother?? They both had money.

If she is playing around and being tricky with words, then that's precisely why people hate her. Because she's a phony.

The reporter should've asked if she received any money from Blythe Danner.

by Anonymousreply 4July 1, 2016 4:51 AM

To state she was on her own is disingenuous. When Stephen Spielberg is your godfather and casts you in a movie at 19yo, you were never "on your own". And this, my darling Gwyneth, is why people hate you.

by Anonymousreply 5July 1, 2016 4:52 AM

Shut up you uneducated rube. You never put the work in for anything. No degree. No certificates. Nothing. Jack of no trades and master of none. Such a fucking loser, this one. People hate you because you're a fraud.

by Anonymousreply 6July 1, 2016 5:05 AM

She has a development deal with mira max. She got that deal bc of her father. Who is financing GOOP, not her? She is clueless. She never had to worry about not making rent, or eating. Even when GP barely eats, she does it in a way that is exorbitantly expensive. I mean come on. What a pathological liar.

by Anonymousreply 7July 1, 2016 5:16 AM

Stop pretending you're of American blue blood stock with any Ivy league education. You don't even have an associate degree. You know who does? The Streeper. Ivy. Martita Stewart. Both came from nothing and earned their status. You can't cut corners, in your case, lobbing off big quadrants then whine about how wrong people are in "getting" her.

Are you in or are you in?. Looking to make a buck .

by Anonymousreply 8July 1, 2016 5:18 AM

Just once, I wish one of these -- the Goops, the Dallas Bryce Howards or whatever the fuck she is called -- would say "It was a piece of cake getting in. I'd seen CAA agents at my parents house since I was 3 and they watched me grow up." We might respect them more for that alone but all this bullshit about doing it on all their own is beyond disingenuous. It is indeed why we "hate" her.

by Anonymousreply 9July 1, 2016 5:21 AM

Exactly, R5, she waltzed into a movie role for a big budget film directed by Steven Spielberg to kick off her career...most 19-year-old actors would never even get to serve Spielberg dinner. She does not see this as a break.

Classic case of "born on 3rd, thinks she hit a triple "

She was raised in a swanky part of NYC and attended one the best private schools in the city. She doesn't consider this a break.

She

by Anonymousreply 10July 1, 2016 5:23 AM

Given that she got her first movie parts at around 20, so what if she didn't have a trust fund when she graduated? By the time she graduated she was already a working actress. And ALL of those earliest roles came about as a direct result of nepotism. FFS her first role was in Hook directed by her godfather and family friend Spielberg. How the fuck does she think she broke into the industry in the first place?

The biggest benefit to a background like hers is not trust funds. It's all the doors that get opened for you just because you come from the right family or went to the right schools - and usually remain closed to you if you come from the wrong side of the tracks.

by Anonymousreply 11July 1, 2016 5:32 AM

The fact that she used that Conscious Uncoypling shit is an example of why people do not like her. I personally o do not care about her growing up wealthy or being the daughter of famous connected people. I do not like her because everytime she says something i want to punch her face.

by Anonymousreply 12July 1, 2016 5:45 AM

If her big feminist issue is making as much as male stars...well, that's why you suck, dear.

by Anonymousreply 13July 1, 2016 6:19 AM

Spence.. Spence.. So fucking what- she also failed out of Santa Barbara state

by Anonymousreply 14July 1, 2016 6:42 AM

Stop pretending you're one of us.

by Anonymousreply 15July 1, 2016 6:46 AM

What are we saying? I'm sure she got her agent at CAA by inviting him to her Equity waiver play down on Santa Monica and Western.

by Anonymousreply 16July 1, 2016 7:17 AM

If she doesn't know, someone should tell her. Its up to you DL bitches, who see her walking around the Village or wherever the hell she lives.

by Anonymousreply 17July 1, 2016 7:34 AM

I wish she'd just say that she knows she had it easy. She'd be liked more for it. Not everything in every star's life has to be an epic struggle. She's not relatable in any way but I don't see why she has to be.

by Anonymousreply 18July 1, 2016 7:42 AM

Is she hanging out with the Krapdashians yet? That will be her next step; aligning herself with the Krapdashs so at least she gets the attention of the ghetto bitchez.

by Anonymousreply 19July 1, 2016 7:53 AM

r18, I don't know why she needs to be a star at all. Her mother was a far more interesting actress.

by Anonymousreply 20July 1, 2016 8:18 AM

I am sure she got some help from relatives, and there is nothing wrong with that, all parents help their kids, but she gave some outstanding performances in great movies early in her early career and she was brave enough to work with coming new directors on interesting movies. She wasn't just some pretty girl no talent offspring, she actually had acting chops which I'd hope she utilize some more. But in Hollywood unless you are Meryl Streep your career is over after 40.

by Anonymousreply 21July 1, 2016 8:26 AM

I saw that bit on TV today. she was soooo fake!!! makes me hate her, I didn't like her but now my dislike has increased and she's fucking useless anyways...

I will never watch or spend a single cent on a project she is involved with.

by Anonymousreply 22July 1, 2016 8:26 AM

Feeling like she was with the Kardashians at the Coppola/Valentino La Traviata in Rome a couple weeks ago and then again with them at the Coldplay show in London after that.

She's dumber than a throw pillow, it's a miracle she can get a publicist at all, let alone Hard Talk on BBC.

by Anonymousreply 23July 1, 2016 9:02 AM

She has been with Stephen Huvane for more than 20 years and her business has been expanding since she started this Goop thing. She knows exactly what she is doing. Looks like starmaker Bryan Lourd wants to sign her to CAA, she is sitting pretty. None of you pathetic queen knows how showbiz works, LOL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 1, 2016 9:39 AM

Oh R4, her dad wore the pants in a BIG way in that relationship. There's no way Blythe Danner had separate money to give.

Anyway, her basic point is right - there's nothing she's done that's even remotely equivalent to domestic violence, yet people like Chris Brown are rated less annoying than her.

by Anonymousreply 25July 1, 2016 9:50 AM

The World will never give a farthing for u Gwen, FOR REASONS WHICH ARE KNOWN TO YOU

by Anonymousreply 26July 1, 2016 10:41 AM

High school graduate Gwyneth Paltrow

by Anonymousreply 27July 1, 2016 10:54 AM

She takes a shit every time she speaks.

by Anonymousreply 28July 1, 2016 11:25 AM

R24, GOOP hasn't turned a profit and was in the red for years. Never turned a profit. She can't keep any friends long term. She slept with Jay Z. That's why you never hear of that friendship with Bey. She married a closet case. Brad Pitt used her for connections early on. Her daughter has a wonk eye from her dad's side. She's insecure as fuck because she never really earned anything and wishes to be envied by other women. She has a high school degree. Even with two eye jobs and a nose bob, she's a plain looking twat. Every single person reading this has something, anything over her. Her personality sucks. See above.

by Anonymousreply 29July 1, 2016 12:03 PM

Why in the hell would she sleep with Jay Z of all people?

by Anonymousreply 30July 1, 2016 12:21 PM

R30 Was she hoping to have a mocha baby? They're always in style.

by Anonymousreply 31July 1, 2016 12:25 PM

R29 is shitting in her pants of jealousy.

by Anonymousreply 32July 1, 2016 12:48 PM

R30, because she has really low self esteem which she cannot conceal from genuine winners. R32, the term you're looking for is "envy". Learn the difference.

by Anonymousreply 33July 1, 2016 1:03 PM

She's not a half bad actor. Not a genius, but certainly better than most.

In stuff that flopped like SYLVIA and TWO LOVERS she was very good.

She has made consistently poor choices. Some of his is a bad gamble - the lead in POSSESSION over the Julianne Moore role in THE HOURS, but its probably her taste level and work ethic isn't up to scratch.

Other Americans of her generation - Withespoon, Jolie - who are more successful as actresses than Gwyneth have struggled to get good roles; none of them have a record comparing to what Weaver, Sarandon, Close and Lange, let alone Streep, achieve by their mid-40s.

by Anonymousreply 34July 1, 2016 1:05 PM

Paltrowski, y'aint Martha or Meryl. You know what they achieved early on in life that you haven't? It's called an education.

by Anonymousreply 35July 1, 2016 1:08 PM

She's not as hated as Chris Brown because few of us have ever dealt with domestic violence, but we all know someone who has used nepotism to get ahead. Someone who thinks they're better than us and lords it over us. Someone who can't make a major purchase without announcing it (and its cost) to the world, hers is ridiculous handpainted wall paper vs your neighbor's new BMW. Someone who telegraphs that their life is so fucking fantastic on fb. She's the upper east side version of that Texas murder mom. Yes Gyno. We hate you.

by Anonymousreply 36July 1, 2016 1:26 PM

She didn't make too many poor choices in her career as far as interesting movies go. She worked with PTA on his debut film, which is an underrated gem, and she was pretty amazing in it too. Holding her own with movie veteran Philip Baker Hall.

by Anonymousreply 37July 1, 2016 1:39 PM

Since Paltrow and Sackur are two of the most egregious people on earth, I'm giving this interview a pass.

by Anonymousreply 38July 1, 2016 2:28 PM

She and Madonna both fall into that category of people: "the less you know about them, the more you like them."

Both women are obscenely talented but have horrifically low self-esteem which comes out really bitchy/narcissistic in interviews and the press and rubs everyone the wrong way.

by Anonymousreply 39July 1, 2016 2:51 PM

I like the part where she laughs and says I'm more hated than chris brown? Bitch sounds like your typical dl'er, a true cunt supreme.

by Anonymousreply 40July 1, 2016 3:17 PM

I could be misremembering this, but I thought she lived in a guest house at the Spielbergs when she went to the west coast after high school. IIRC, she said her parents were worried about her safety, etc., so she stayed with her godfather in California.

by Anonymousreply 41July 1, 2016 8:26 PM

She also lambasted Americans for their "dinner conversation " while residing in the UK. Loser.

by Anonymousreply 42July 1, 2016 8:29 PM

R42, yeah I vaguely remember her commenting about how much better it was in the UK with the implication that Americans are boorish and stupid. Hmmm funny that's she's back in the U.S. Once her hubby dumped her...oh excuse me, once he "uncoupled" from her.

by Anonymousreply 43July 1, 2016 8:46 PM

I always thought she dumped him.

by Anonymousreply 44July 1, 2016 10:07 PM

it seems as if she is a pathological liar, and not an actress.

by Anonymousreply 45July 1, 2016 11:13 PM

I don't hate her. I won't say that I "know" her, but attended a dinner party where she was also a guest. We only personally chatted briefly, but she was very nice. And during dinner, she had everyone in stitches...she was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 46July 1, 2016 11:24 PM

#notadlfave

by Anonymousreply 47July 1, 2016 11:31 PM

R46, narcissists often are.

by Anonymousreply 48July 1, 2016 11:32 PM

And yes, she does seem like "Texas Murder Mom" but her FB page is that stupid GOOP bullshit. She literally can't go 30 minutes without somehow praising herself. She's convinced that her "haters" are just jealous.

by Anonymousreply 49July 1, 2016 11:34 PM

So funny that Gwyneth Paltrow a staunch liberal, gay friendly, good actress has so many haters on here where else Milo Yiannopoulos rightwing extremist, roman catholic narcissist has tons of defenders.

Stupid queens are their own worst enemies.

by Anonymousreply 50July 1, 2016 11:39 PM

What do you mean R25?

by Anonymousreply 51July 1, 2016 11:39 PM

I draw a parallel to Drew Barrymore. She's always acknowledged her name and pedigree opened doors, she's always acknowledge that Stephen Spielberg helped her by casting her. She's also generally well-liked because she's not pretentiously fluttering through life existing on a diet of activated almonds, purified water and the whiff of her own self-importance. It's not difficult to see why Paltrow is not well liked for most people. The working mother speech is still the most alienating and ridiculous thing she's said. She makes no acknowledgement of the fortunate position she's in because she seems to have little to no understanding that other people aren't so fortunate. She's not a liar, she's a genuine fantasist -she has no concept of the realities of life for most people.

by Anonymousreply 52July 2, 2016 2:09 AM

None of you pathetic queen

Oh dear R24

Take it from this pathetic queen: Look, she's never been anything but nice to me on the 8 or 9 times I've interacted with her over many, many years. She's just... An actress. An actress who fucked her way into relevance and a miraculous and very heavily campaigned-for Oscar and then got dumped by her relevance and is now just a total basic monster. I don't need you to tell me who SteVen (not a ph, Mary) Huvane is. This pathetic queen knows that Slate PR is a fucking yawning maw that opens up into the sick vortex of black bile that defends people like Bryan Singer. Nice company.

tl;dr: Shut your peasant face. You're ugly and your bag's ugly. Goop's a sign of a culture that's trying to fuck itself up its own ass.

Enjoy your life!

by Anonymousreply 53July 2, 2016 8:12 AM

Lol, nicely put R53

by Anonymousreply 54July 2, 2016 8:46 AM

Attractive people can't stand her. That tells you something.

by Anonymousreply 55July 2, 2016 10:19 AM

I think we've all had this middling, nothing special try hard in our student class when young. Rinse. Repeat.

by Anonymousreply 56July 2, 2016 10:23 AM

I've got to tell you. I can't get enough of this delusional try hard's fails at spinning a web of lies as her legacy. It's been like a sport for me in the last decade or so. Love the astute comments written by the real deals. So grateful for my life.

Paltrow, man..that's got to be exhausting. I get so tired just looking at her. Laughed so hard at the exhibiTS of her trying to cover up her daughter's birth defects on that Blue Ivy thread here.

She's the only celebutard that can make me howl in laughter with her clueless shenanigans. It must be a nightmare in that head of hers. Like those bad dreams when you end up in high school and didn't graduate. I am forever grateful to this moron. She makes me feel really good about myself at least but once a month. Thank you Universe that I'm not a tryhard, uneducated plainster just spinning my wheels like this one. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 57July 2, 2016 10:50 AM

This is a wonderful link, full of Gwynnie quotes, straight off,

On the trouble with Parisian concierges

[quote]“When you go to Paris and your concierge sends you to some restaurant because they get a kickback, it’s like, ‘No. Where should I really be? Where is the great bar with organic wine? Where do I get a bikini wax in Paris?

LOL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58July 2, 2016 11:22 AM

LOL # 2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59July 2, 2016 11:24 AM

How to win friends and influence people (in America):-

[quote]“We have great dinner parties at which everyone sits around talking about politics, history, art and literature—all this peppered with really funny jokes. But back in America, I was at a party and a girl looked at me and said, ‘Oh, my God! Are those Juicy jeans that you’re wearing?’ and I thought, I can’t stay here. I have to get back to Europe.”

by Anonymousreply 60July 2, 2016 11:25 AM

Everyone here knows you blew Heavy Whalestein for that Oscar honey. You didn't deserve for the film but for your extraordinary cum guzzling skills.

by Anonymousreply 61July 2, 2016 11:34 AM

Well, pretentiousness is no match for male violence.

Just goes to show where our priorities as a society are: a man who beat and bit his girlfriend is a less worthy object of hate than some phony Hollywood princess.

That's misogyny 101.

by Anonymousreply 62July 2, 2016 11:35 AM

I think you're missing something R62. Chris Brown is genuinely revolting as a human being, it's genuinely hate, he's not worth the breath. Gwynnie gets the over-the-top hate, the fun hate. People wouldn't have this much fun at Chris Brown's expense because there's zero fun there. It's genuine disgust.

by Anonymousreply 63July 2, 2016 11:40 AM

Can somebody link to the Beyonce thread?

by Anonymousreply 64July 2, 2016 11:41 AM

And not one person here has said she's a worse person than Chris Brown, simply that's there's more entertainment is hating her pretentious self.

by Anonymousreply 65July 2, 2016 11:42 AM

*in hating....ugh

by Anonymousreply 66July 2, 2016 11:43 AM

Idiot at R53!

by Anonymousreply 67July 2, 2016 11:46 AM

OK, let's just say It's not her fault she was born where she was and we're all just plain jealous of her privileged upbringing, opened doors, and nepotistic opportunities.

Has anyone pointed out to her it's still very crass to talk down to those less fortunate?

As a highly paid Hollywood actress you work much harder than the average working mom, Gwyneth? Did anyone remind her of that one?

Chris Brown may have physically abused his girlfriend, but you spiritually abused about one third of the population of the US with that winner commentary, blonde bitch.

by Anonymousreply 68July 2, 2016 11:58 AM

She more or less implied on that BBC interview that's re-started all this attention (because the interviewer confronted her with all this stuff) that all the hate talk is good for the goop site. 'At least they're talking about it' philosophy.

& that she posted the golden dildo as a 'fuck you' to all the trolls (her word) who hate on her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69July 2, 2016 12:00 PM

[quote]Has anyone pointed out to her it's still very crass to talk down to those less fortunate?

She just doesn't seem to give a shit. She must be SO thick skinned.

by Anonymousreply 70July 2, 2016 12:02 PM

She was actually VERY funny in 'View From The Top'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71July 2, 2016 12:04 PM

Chris Martin seems like such a nice, down to earth guy. I wonder how that relationship worked for so long.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72July 2, 2016 12:07 PM

[quote]But Paltrow, inevitably aware of the sharp criticism and resentment built by the inclusion of highly priced non-essentials, has revealed the website has its own fun occasionally in response - the gold dildo being a case in point. “We have a bit of fun now and affiliate link to a $15,000 gold dildo just to troll people back.

>> [bold]“We look for products that will create that reaction.”[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 73July 2, 2016 12:07 PM

I've never understood Gwyneth's "beauty." She looks like every third woman you see in any upper-class suburb in America. She's well-put together, but hardly beautiful.

I sometimes wonder how many successful entertainers who made it through nepotism and connections could have ever made it without them. My guess is most of the wouldn't have. If Gwyneth had been Jane Blow from Bumfucke, Iowa I don't think she ever would've been successful in Hollywood. They Gyllenhaals, too.

by Anonymousreply 74July 2, 2016 1:05 PM

Sorry about the typos, it' s early and I haven't had coffee yet.

by Anonymousreply 75July 2, 2016 1:07 PM

Lest we not forget, Gwynnie can SANG..,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76July 2, 2016 1:17 PM

R76 That abomination went to number 1 in Australia and apparently Gwynnie used to "gently rib" Chris Martin she'd had an Australian number 1 when Coldplay had not. She's insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 77July 2, 2016 1:38 PM

R60 so we don't have stimulating discussions about politics, history, art and literature here in the USA? Love how she generalizes the entire population of 320+ million yet the UK which has only 1/3 the population is somehow more diverse.

I've always been suspicious about her marriage to Martin. In the summer of 2002, she made some comment criticizing British men and the dating scene there, which she got a lot of flack for. Then shortly after she suddenly began dating a Brit and married him a year later and relocated to the UK. It's like she was trying to save face and did it in the most extreme way possible.

by Anonymousreply 78July 2, 2016 1:47 PM

R78 sorry, meant to say the UK only has 1/5 the population of the US.

by Anonymousreply 79July 2, 2016 1:48 PM

Has Chris Brown commented on her remarks?

by Anonymousreply 80July 2, 2016 1:48 PM

I'd take Chris Martin over Ben Affleck or Brad Pitt

by Anonymousreply 81July 2, 2016 1:53 PM

She's an idiot but what annoys most people is they can't dismiss her for lack of talent like the Kadarshians, because she's immensely gifted. Watch her in movies like 'Proof' or 'Two Lovers'. She can also sing, much better than, say, Taylor Swift or Rihanna. That she learned fluent Castilian Spanish flies in the face of those who try to portray her as dumb. And contrary to what r29 says, GOOP is actually the premier site of its kind earning her more money than she ever made in Hollywood.

That and the fact she dated and (allegedly) dumped Brad Pitt and Ben Affleck is just to much for most fraus (who make both most of her haters and those who want her life so subscribe to her newsletter) to bear. She's had it too easy.

by Anonymousreply 82July 2, 2016 2:05 PM

Back when I owned Miramax, I squirted my goop all over her face. Then I squirted on Afflack's ass a week later. That's why they were the power couple in 90's films.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83July 2, 2016 2:24 PM

[quote]Then shortly after she suddenly began dating a Brit and married him a year later and relocated to the UK.

Relocated to The UK?

She moved to London.

Why do people talk like computers these days?

by Anonymousreply 84July 2, 2016 2:34 PM

[quote]That she learned fluent Castilian Spanish flies in the face of those who try to portray her as dumb.

See, now you sound like Gwynnie. She's too good to speak that "kitchen Spanish," ya know.

by Anonymousreply 85July 2, 2016 5:30 PM

Exactly, R85.

She probably also wanted to learn the "Queen's English" while living in London.

Pretentious fucking bitch.

by Anonymousreply 86July 2, 2016 5:31 PM

[quote] The Iron Man star told Stephen Sackur, host of the BBC News’ Hard Talk, that being picked as the “Most Hated Celebrity” in 2013 left her feeling slightly bemused.

She can pretend now that was her reaction, but Graydon Carter said in a column in Vanity Fair she was very upset about this when it happened and asked him what she could do to change it.

So she illustrates in her reaction exactly why people hate her so much: she is the consummate phony.

by Anonymousreply 87July 2, 2016 5:38 PM

R85/R86 when she was married to Martin, Gwyneth said the one of the reasons she wanted to raise her kids in the UK is so they'd have a British accent.

Here she is presenting Foreign Language Film at the 2005 Oscars. Of course she has to preface it with:

[quote]I really wanted to provide you with synopses of this year's Best Foreign Language Film in their respective languages, but wouldn't you know it, there just wasn't enough time.

You just know she wanted to add "... because you know i could."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88July 2, 2016 6:00 PM

[quote]She probably also wanted to learn the "Queen's English" while living in London. Pretentious fucking bitch.

She didn't affect an English accent at all in her ten years there.

Unlike Madonna who began talking strangely after about four weeks. I think she's dumped it since.

by Anonymousreply 89July 2, 2016 6:17 PM

Don't forget Gillian Anderson, who although spent her formative years in England when her family relocated there after birth, her family moved back when she was 11, grew up in the US and attended college here. She also was mainly based in the US (and Canada) while X-FILES filmed. She only moved back to the UK after X-FILES ended in 2002. Anyway, she had never had a trace of an English accent during her time on X-FILES and while promoting the show (and other projects) in the UK at the time, but ever since relocating there, she has one? And only when she's there. She still sounds American when she comes this side of the pond.

by Anonymousreply 90July 2, 2016 6:23 PM

[quote] Anyway, she had never had a trace of an English accent during her time on X-FILES and while promoting the show (and other projects) in the UK at the time, but ever since relocating there, she has one? And only when she's there. She still sounds American when she comes this side of the pond.

Yes, it's very peculiar. It's especially peculiar due to the fact her English accent is SO totally FLAWLESS and natural.

I think she partly did it so that when she moved to England people would hear it on TV interviews etc...and she'd get good English parts - which she has done, over & over.

I wonder which accent she thinks in.

by Anonymousreply 91July 2, 2016 6:28 PM

Gillian Anderson was very clever moving to England when she did.

In Hollywood she would have just been another well known TV actress, trying to get work after a successful TV show.

In England she was a big fish in a small pond and she's been able to pick and choose all sorts of roles on the back of her American TV celebrity clout.

by Anonymousreply 92July 2, 2016 6:35 PM

Well, she does have a point about Castilian Spanish sounding better. That pidgin Latin American Spanish you hear spoken in the US sounds so low-class.

by Anonymousreply 93July 2, 2016 7:25 PM

R93 Castillian is annoying as fuck to listen to. They sound like they have a lisp, pronouncing the 's' sounds in 'C' and 'Z' with a 'th.'

e.g. pronouncing corazón (heart) as coraTHón.

God forbid you get a word or phrase with several C's and Z's.

by Anonymousreply 94July 2, 2016 7:30 PM

She learned Spanish as a teenager on student exchange. It's not like she speaks it with complete fluency.

by Anonymousreply 95July 2, 2016 7:42 PM

I thought Gwyneth's English accent in her British films was awful and very stilted.

by Anonymousreply 96July 2, 2016 7:56 PM

Ummm no R92, what annoys people is not that she's "immensely gifted." It's that she was endlessly HYPED as "immensely gifted" (beyond any of her peers the same age) without actually being so, and stardom being granted to her from Day One without the public actually agreeing to the deal.

She is a good actress and better than many. She's certainly no talentless trash like Kim Kardashian. But there's a sane middle ground between the overhype making her out to be one of our greatest actresses, and the equally unfair but understandable backlash (it's common now to hear people say her performance in Shakespeare in Love is the worst ever to win an Oscar, which is simply not fair: it's a genuinely good performance).

Your over the top overpraise is precisely the sort of thing that led to the brutal backlash in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 97July 2, 2016 8:12 PM

Sorry, that is responding to R82, not R92.

by Anonymousreply 98July 2, 2016 8:14 PM

And I don't think being able to sing better than Rihanna or Taylor Swift is saying much, since neither can sing worth a damn at all. Rihanna's own fans in the audience can often sing way better than she can. Swift is another privileged rich kid whose dad bought her her career. I suppose what it shows is that when it reaches the point where almost all our entertainers and stars got where they are through nepotism and moneyed connections more than talent, Gwyneth is far from the most objectionable example of this. Gwyneth just gets most of the hate because she rubs it in people's faces more and acts like she's royalty and they're the Hoi polloi.

by Anonymousreply 99July 2, 2016 8:19 PM

r92 she left because she was unsuccessful in HW. Luckily, she's so good she was able to carve out a great career over there. A few years ago, she tried to come back to HW but was unsuccessful. She said so herself. She did eventually get roles in Hannibal and some other show. Make no mistake, she would love to be in HW.

by Anonymousreply 100July 2, 2016 10:00 PM

Gillian Anderson really shows you what a shit business Hollywood can be. The biggest actress on tv, on a monster hit show, and as soon as the show was over even she struggled to get another gig. It's an awful industry.

by Anonymousreply 101July 2, 2016 10:03 PM

Especially for women and minorities.

by Anonymousreply 102July 2, 2016 10:06 PM

She could have worked r101 but she didn't want those parts. I don't blame her, I bet 99% were FBI related roles. At one point she started writing her own film but it never went anywhere. If I recall correctly, her laptop was stolen and it had the script in there. I never bought that was the reason but whatever.

by Anonymousreply 103July 2, 2016 10:06 PM

Speaking of Taylor Swift I can't believe how famous she got with no talent. I'm not a fan, but I've checked out some of her music on Youtube and even WITH Autotune she sounds amateurish and borderline tone-deaf.

by Anonymousreply 104July 2, 2016 10:07 PM

R103 if you don't believe her, then why rehash it?

by Anonymousreply 105July 2, 2016 10:08 PM

WTF? My comment in r103 is HERE AND in the Me talk like Cookie monster thread. Get it together DL!!

r105, I'm sorry, I had no idea I could only write things I believed. Silly me thinking others may want to know that little bit. I hope you can recover from my post.

by Anonymousreply 106July 2, 2016 10:10 PM

R101 plus it's competitive and cutthroat. If you want to hone your craft as an actor and don't want to do shit films and tv (more than 75% of the industry imho) you go overseas, Broadway or regional theater. Anderson was smart to move to England. Wasn't she in her mid 30s or so when X Files ended? Being older the chances of being catapulted into a film career from a hit series are minimal at best.

by Anonymousreply 107July 2, 2016 10:12 PM

R106 oh, it didn't bother me at all. I just couldn't understand why you would relay misinformation.

by Anonymousreply 108July 2, 2016 10:13 PM

r108 Where did I say it was misinformation? There is a difference between what SHE said and what *I* think. She said her laptop was stolen and I gave my opinion. I don't see your confusion to the point of saying I am relaying misinformation.

by Anonymousreply 109July 2, 2016 10:17 PM

She has said over & over that she was very keen to return to London where she had lived as a child & it was a very clever move. She's quite ordinary in Hollywood and special in England & I don't think she's totally 'in exile' over there.

Q: First thing you do when you arrive back?

A: Look out of the cab window and, rather than get absorbed in my BlackBerry, soak in the city I feel so grateful to live in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110July 2, 2016 10:24 PM

I doubt she ever had to fuck producers for roles. She comes from a showbiz family and her parents were no idiots. If anybody had made advances toward her her father would have run amok. She was the it girl in the 90 and the press loved her. The hate started when she dumped Brad Pitt, because he was always about sleeping his way to the top and dominating the gossip rags, esp after he got with Jolie. I wouldn't be surprised if he was a main factor behind all the hate mongering. He lost the connection to the upper echelon of society and showbiz after she dumped him. He comes from hick stock and had to ingratiate himself to Hollywood, something she never had to do because of her parent's connections, because she was talented and interesting directors wanted to work with her and because she never had the ambition to become a gossip star.

by Anonymousreply 111July 2, 2016 10:25 PM

Gillian Anderson was the first choice for Lady Cora in Downton Abbey but turned it down. It's said that she wasn't ready to admit that she was old enough to play the mother of adult children and that's why she didn't do it.

by Anonymousreply 112July 2, 2016 10:26 PM

Brad Pitt was already quite famous when he hooked up with Gwyneth. She was very well-known at the time.

by Anonymousreply 113July 2, 2016 10:27 PM

She WASN'T very well-known at the time. She hadn't broken through yet.

by Anonymousreply 114July 2, 2016 10:27 PM

R113 Plus Thelma and Louise put him on the map and he received an Oscar nom 4 years later. How the fuck did she or her supposed connections in any way help Pitt at this point?

by Anonymousreply 115July 2, 2016 10:31 PM

Yeah, Pitt was a megastar by 1995, when they went public, after meeting on the set of SEVEN a year earlier. His breakout role was THELMA & LOUISE (1991), which made him a sex symbol. Then he followed it with the hits A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT (1992), LEGENDS OF THE FALL (1994), and INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE (#9 film of 1994). In 1995, he had SEVEN (#7 film of the year) and 12 MONKEYS (Oscar nomination). Gwyneth is the one who was unknown; in fact, she was mostly known as 'Brad Pitt's girlfriend/fiance' during their time together (1994-1997).

by Anonymousreply 116July 2, 2016 10:34 PM

part of this now infamous BBC interview of last week is on YT now. I like the way she laughs about the conscious uncoupling thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117July 2, 2016 10:34 PM

I think what R111 is referring to is Pitt's penchant for seriously dating/marrying only the daughters of Hollywood royalty. Juliette Lewis, Gwyneth Paltrow, Jennifer Aniston, and Angelina Jolie all were born into the business and benefited from nepotism.

by Anonymousreply 118July 2, 2016 10:37 PM

R118 Jennifer Aniston Hollywood royalty? Seriously? The daughter of a soapie star and a two bit actress? You seriously think there was some kind of advantage for him in that relationship? He was already a bona fide star, working with respected directors, an Oscar nominee, friends with people like Clooney who have serious clout and you think he married Aniston for connections? Wtf? If it wasn't for her connection to Pitt she'd be a forgotten sit-com star. Her part in the Pitt/Jolie thing is the only interesting thing about her. She needed him far more than he needed her.

by Anonymousreply 119July 2, 2016 10:47 PM

This is about Jennifer Aniston now?

Boy, we have sunk to new levels.

by Anonymousreply 120July 2, 2016 10:58 PM

Rightly or wrongly, Pitt was one of the most in demand actors of his generation almost for the moment he broke through in T&L. He was far more A list than any of his costars.

by Anonymousreply 121July 2, 2016 10:58 PM

Pitt broke through in '91 with Thelma and Louise, then became a big star in '94 with A River Runs Through It and Interview WIth the Vampire.

BTW, I think he and Tammy fucked when they did IWTV.

by Anonymousreply 122July 2, 2016 11:01 PM

R121 how do you mean 'rightly or wrongly'?

by Anonymousreply 123July 2, 2016 11:01 PM

Gillian Anderson has actually done very well for herself, all things considered, far more so than Duchovny post X Files IMO. Between the two, she's had way more good roles and admired performances, she even pops up in surprising places like The Last King of Scotland which earned Forest Whitaker his Oscar.

Duchovny did appear in The Rapture, which features an amazing performance by Mimi Rogers... But that's the thing... Rogers was amazing in it, Duchovny wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 124July 2, 2016 11:03 PM

Suck my tight box R67, I used Variety's most recent mention of him which spells it that way, which tells us everything you need to know about him, Variety and you. Be gone.

by Anonymousreply 125July 2, 2016 11:04 PM

R122 A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT was 1992. In 1994, he had INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE and LEGENDS OF THE FALL, which he immediately followed up with SEVEN and 12 MONKEYS the following year, when he and Paltrow went public with their relationship.

by Anonymousreply 126July 2, 2016 11:05 PM

R123, I mean even if you think Paltrow or Jolie are better actors than Pitt, he was still a way bigger star in his prime than they ever were. Whether he deserved it or not in terms of talent, he was at his peak one of the very top A listers in the industry.

by Anonymousreply 127July 2, 2016 11:06 PM

Sorry, I meant Legends of the Fall, I got that confused with A River Runs Through It.

by Anonymousreply 128July 2, 2016 11:08 PM

I'm mixed in my opinions of Gwyneth, sure she's pretentious and an elitist but I don't think she is intentionally mean or hateful so it's hard to hate on her that much.

by Anonymousreply 129July 2, 2016 11:10 PM

One need not be a violent thug to be despised. Gwyneth is no different than Chris Brown in that they are some of the most horrible people on Earth. How they get to be horrible is entirely up to them.

by Anonymousreply 130July 2, 2016 11:12 PM

I don't "hate" her either - and she's been off the A list for so many years it's hard to even resent her or feel envious of her anymore. But she really is out of touch and snooty. Jane Fonda, Sigourney Weaver, and Jake and Maggie Gyllenhaal all benefitted from the right connections too, but they manage to avoid sounding like snobby elitists looking down on the unwashed masses. Julia Louis Dreyfus is the daughter of a billionaire, but she's so charming and likeable people don't resent her success. Paltrow really did this to herself: it's perfectly possible to benefit from nepotism and privilege without alienating the public.

by Anonymousreply 131July 2, 2016 11:16 PM

Gwyneth has a phony soul and also a phony appearance. Her natural hair is brown, not ice blonde and polished. Her natural eyelids are hideous; she's had multiple (and good) surgeries on those eyes. She's also had a nose job.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132July 2, 2016 11:27 PM

Wow I never realized how obvious her nosejob was.

by Anonymousreply 133July 2, 2016 11:33 PM

Damn I want a nose job

by Anonymousreply 134July 2, 2016 11:42 PM

Her mentioning Chris Brown is a good point.

by Anonymousreply 135July 2, 2016 11:48 PM

[quote]Jane Fonda, Sigourney Weaver, and Jake and Maggie Gyllenhaal all benefitted from the right connections too, but they manage to avoid sounding like snobby elitists looking down on the unwashed masses.

It's well known in the industry that Maggie G is a grade A bitch to work with Most of the film crews who have to deal with her despise her.

Gwyneth may not come across to the public so great, but people who have actually dealt with her have said she is nice and very pleasant to deal with.

by Anonymousreply 136July 2, 2016 11:49 PM

Maggie G has a horrible reputation in the industry. A mean, rotten bitch.

by Anonymousreply 137July 2, 2016 11:54 PM

Her new tits are..uh.. there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138July 3, 2016 12:05 AM

She was pretty before.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139July 3, 2016 12:15 AM

Maggie G has a smashy-looking face. Makes her look like a retarded potato head.

by Anonymousreply 140July 3, 2016 12:18 AM

Maggie Gyllenhaal should've played Christine Collins in that CHANGELING movie. I don't know why they cast Angelina Jolie, who looked anachronistic in 1920s LA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141July 3, 2016 12:24 AM

Jolie ruined that film, R141. She made an interesting story with a good director, writer and supporting cast into something totally unwatchable.

I don't particularly like Maggie G but she would have been better. Almost anyone would have been better.

by Anonymousreply 142July 3, 2016 12:33 AM

R142 what didn't you like about Jolie in that movie?

by Anonymousreply 143July 3, 2016 12:52 AM

Everything, R143, I hated everything from the way she looked to her wooden acting, to her terrible enunciation. She was just awful and she was in every single scene.

by Anonymousreply 144July 3, 2016 12:55 AM

R144 she was Oscar-nominated for that.

by Anonymousreply 145July 3, 2016 1:07 AM

And yet she was horrendous in that role, R145, just as many Oscar-nominated performances have been in the past.

by Anonymousreply 146July 3, 2016 1:09 AM

You would have thought Jack Warner learned his lesson but noooooo he goes and casts Blythe instead of Betty.

by Anonymousreply 147July 3, 2016 1:50 AM

It is a bit odd that Paltrow was nominated one time, won as Harvey's New Star/Flavor of the Month -- and then never was back again. Odd for A list/Hollywood Royalty. I know we could say the same about Kathleen Turner but she was always very NYC (and maybe she still has a shot with one final supporting role) but it's odd for a snotrag like Goop who was young and worked a lot after her win. Even Whoopi, not so loved by some in H'wood, was nominated once and then brought back for her win (she noted that she was the first black actor who had been which I guess is true. Or maybe just black actress. Poitier was up for more than one Oscar, right?)

by Anonymousreply 148July 3, 2016 1:55 AM

Gwyneth was one of those actors who was popular in certain Hollywood circles but the public never took to. She got some good roles through connections but couldn't sustain a big career because the public just wasn't interested.

by Anonymousreply 149July 3, 2016 1:57 AM

[quote] Gwyneth may not come across to the public so great, but people who have actually dealt with her have said she is nice and very pleasant to deal with.

I am always pleasant to my inferiors.

by Anonymousreply 150July 3, 2016 2:08 AM

Gillian Anderson's British accent is *far* from flawless. It's damn annoying. She's on record saying she's had no training in it and that she relies on an instinct that comes over her when she's in Britain, as if it's some latent, miraculous gift. But what she's really doing is a bizarre hodgepodge of stereotyped features from different regions of England that she probably unconsciously picked up from watching TV.

by Anonymousreply 151July 3, 2016 2:34 AM

R147 what lesson? And Betty who?

by Anonymousreply 152July 3, 2016 2:35 AM

I believe GP that she's being her authentic self. It's just that her authentic self reads obnoxious WASP. She's still better than a lot of celebrities though.

by Anonymousreply 153July 3, 2016 2:42 AM

Just to clarify, I like GP despite her be an obnoxious WASP. She has a good sense of humor and really doesn't take herself too seriously. I'll let her cluelessness slide by.

by Anonymousreply 154July 3, 2016 2:47 AM

She's half Jewish r154.

by Anonymousreply 155July 3, 2016 4:12 AM

[quote] The biggest benefit to a background like hers is not trust funds. It's all the doors that get opened for you just because you come from the right family or went to the right schools - and usually remain closed to you if you come from the wrong side of the tracks.

But what's so telling is that she doesn't see that. She knew girls who went to Spence who had trust funds, and she resented the hell out of them. So she weirdly believes she did it all on her own and is blind to the leg up she received because of who her parents are and who their friends are and the kind of fancy education she received.

by Anonymousreply 156July 3, 2016 5:38 AM

R156 - kinda true - she is comparing her background to the wealthiest people she grew up with, but don't think that she didn't have a very solid financial footing herself. And it's complete bullshit that she didn't get any money from her parents - 100% lie.

by Anonymousreply 157July 3, 2016 6:04 AM

[quote]Gillian Anderson's British accent is *far* from flawless. It's damn annoying. She's on record saying she's had no training in it and that she relies on an instinct that comes over her when she's in Britain, as if it's some latent, miraculous gift. But what she's really doing is a bizarre hodgepodge of stereotyped features from different regions of England that she probably unconsciously picked up from watching TV.

Clearly you haven't a clue. It's not even called a 'British' accent apart from by Americans . There's no such thing. I've lived in London all my life. Her accent is flawless.

Why talk such ill-informed nonsense?

by Anonymousreply 158July 3, 2016 6:38 AM

Not the OP but Relax fangirl r158.

by Anonymousreply 159July 3, 2016 6:40 AM

[quote]Not the OP but Relax fangirl [R158].

I'm not a fan of hers at all.

by Anonymousreply 160July 3, 2016 6:42 AM

If you are not a fan you sure are overly defensive of her.

by Anonymousreply 161July 3, 2016 6:49 AM

OK...I don't even like her....her accent is flawless. Got it?

by Anonymousreply 162July 3, 2016 7:02 AM

I thought that was Frances McDormond in that picture, R191. Dead ringer.

by Anonymousreply 163July 3, 2016 7:28 AM

Er, R141, I meant.

by Anonymousreply 164July 3, 2016 7:30 AM

What's this talk about her nose having been "bobbed" how ridiculous. She has always had her father's Jewish nose and still does. Luckily, she has the strong bone structure to support it, so it actually fits her face - the fact is she would look terrible with a generic "bobbed" nose.

People see pictures with different lighting and/or airbrushing and they automatically think "nose job." Yet on one thread where I pointed out Catherine Deneuve's rather obvious old fashioned generic nose job, everyone was in denial. Nuts.

by Anonymousreply 165July 3, 2016 7:48 AM

R165, did you look at r139?

Didn't think so.

That is not the same nose.

by Anonymousreply 166July 3, 2016 8:48 AM

[quote]I mean even if you think Paltrow or Jolie are better actors than Pitt, he was still a way bigger star in his prime than they ever were.

I never watched a movie with him, the guy is boring and bland as milquetoast, just like Johnny Depp or Tom Cruise, I have no idea why these guys became famous. Blech!

by Anonymousreply 167July 3, 2016 9:10 AM

R166 yeah I did. Bones are the same, profile is most certainly the same, but the lighting, makeup and airbrushing are drastically different. It works wonders, believe me.

When you look at before and after pics of Blake Lively, in contrast, you don't just see the amorphous illusion of a thinner nose. You see how the actual bone went out in the middle and was a totally different shape. That said, she had a really good job - without the before and after pics I would have never guessed.

by Anonymousreply 168July 3, 2016 9:31 AM

R168 (aka Gwyneth's new PR guy) never mind the bone, look at the flesh! There's a lot more of it - around the nostrils - in the before picture

by Anonymousreply 169July 3, 2016 10:25 AM

She is pregnant in the R138 pic. Boobs get bigger during pregnancy and she uses them to great effect in that golden and green dress, she looks radiant, gorgeous woman!

I don't think she had a nose job, she just uses very good contouring when she is in full make up. Her nose is not the best feature in her face, a nose job would have given her a better nose/profile. She still has that bubble nose is casual pics with bad lighting.

by Anonymousreply 170July 3, 2016 12:12 PM

She's obviously had a nose job, any idiot can see that in the before and after pics. The flesh around her nostrils was very round and bulbous before.

Speaking of nosejobs, have any of you ever seen a "before" pic of Zachary Quinto? Jesus, it was huge!

by Anonymousreply 171July 3, 2016 12:25 PM

R171 Quinto is not Jewish, though ( I don't think).

by Anonymousreply 172July 3, 2016 1:10 PM

No, Quinto is Irish and Italian. I've seen young pics of him, and he had a big wide honker before he got it fixed.

Michelle Pfeiffer's original nose was similar to Gwyneth's. Her nosejob vastly improved her looks.

What's funny is that when you see celebrities' kids, they have all of their parents' original features. I'm sure the celeb parents must be thrilled about that!

by Anonymousreply 173July 3, 2016 1:21 PM

She didn't have a nose job, any idiot can see that make up and good lightning can do wonders to a face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174July 3, 2016 1:26 PM

R158, so what do *you* call an affected accent to connote that it's supposed to be from somewhere in Britain?

by Anonymousreply 175July 3, 2016 1:41 PM

lol r174. Are you one of Gwyneth's interns that troll the Internet for her? She most definitely has had nose and eye work done.

by Anonymousreply 176July 3, 2016 1:46 PM

[quote]The biggest benefit to a background like hers is not trust funds. It's all the doors that get opened for you just because you come from the right family or went to the right schools - and usually remain closed to you if you come from the wrong side of the tracks

I felt the same way reading Carly Simon's recent bio. It's a name dropping who's-who from start to finish. All her life, from early childhood, Carly was exposed to famous and powerful people....yet she never acknowledged the advantage this gave her. Totally oblivious. She acts as though it's normal and common to have famous artists, authors, actors and sports figures over for dinner.

by Anonymousreply 177July 3, 2016 1:50 PM

Carly Simon has always been a whining, put-upon victim. There's a reason why James Taylor hasn't talked to her in like 40 years.

by Anonymousreply 178July 3, 2016 1:52 PM

R178 what's the reason?

by Anonymousreply 179July 3, 2016 1:54 PM

Not R178, but presumably the fact that she acts like a whining, put-upon victim.

by Anonymousreply 180July 3, 2016 1:56 PM

What's to LIKE about her? She got her career due to nepotism and stealing parts from friends, she is completely tone-deaf to the feelings of others, and she has a "let them eat cake" cluelessness about people less wealthy and pampered than herself. She's odious.

by Anonymousreply 181July 3, 2016 2:02 PM

[quote]and she has a "let them eat cake" cluelessness about people less wealthy and pampered than herself.

How do you mean 'let them eat cake'?

by Anonymousreply 182July 3, 2016 2:05 PM

Who has she stolen parts from? Besides Winona (allegedly)

by Anonymousreply 183July 3, 2016 2:07 PM

OMG, the question troll is back.

by Anonymousreply 184July 3, 2016 2:07 PM

[quote]How do you mean 'let them eat cake'?

He means stick it in your ass and stop being a pain, question troll.

by Anonymousreply 185July 3, 2016 2:08 PM

R185 but I do not understand the meaning. Not even the gist. Is it wrong to inquire?

by Anonymousreply 186July 3, 2016 2:10 PM

Question troll:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187July 3, 2016 2:19 PM

[quote]Speaking of Taylor Swift I can't believe how famous she got with no talent. I'm not a fan, but I've checked out some of her music on Youtube and even WITH Autotune she sounds amateurish and borderline tone-deaf.

Her wealthy father helped launch her career because he bought stock in Big Machine Records and paid others to help create Taylor as a star. The MTV VMA incident with Kayne helped her give a bit of popularity boost. A friend of mine got dragged to Taylor Swift concert and she said that Swift sounded awful as a live singer. Swift has tried to downplay her wealthy background over the years, but most people ignore it. Most of the celebrities born into wealth or connected families never acknowledge that they had it easy.

by Anonymousreply 188July 3, 2016 2:38 PM

Wait, we're talking about Taylor Swift now?

by Anonymousreply 189July 3, 2016 2:48 PM

R176 why would one of GP's "interns" put up such a shitty picture? That's from recent years and her nose looks as big as ever there - sans benefit of lighting and airbrushing.

And when you see her (today) in pictures without any makeup at all, she definitely looks like....a Paltrow.

by Anonymousreply 190July 3, 2016 5:48 PM

Gwyneth had a potato nose and huge bags under her eyes as a teen. She also wears lenses to lighten her eye color to blue.

by Anonymousreply 191July 3, 2016 6:10 PM

Nothing is genuine with this one. Nothing. That's why she's such a tryhard.

by Anonymousreply 192July 3, 2016 6:12 PM

Gwynnie had a bulbous peasant potato nose before her plastic surgeries and heavy under-lidded eyes.

by Anonymousreply 193July 3, 2016 7:52 PM

How does a teen get eyes like that? I'm usually against breastfeeding implants but she had weird, yellow zucchini shaped saggers even decades ago in that shitty Great Expectations movie. The audience laughed when they showed the artistic nudes of those mournful tits.

by Anonymousreply 194July 3, 2016 8:21 PM

R194 what audience? Actors Studio? Has she done that yet?

by Anonymousreply 195July 3, 2016 8:22 PM

If Gwyneth cared about being liked, she'd get someone to coach her on what not to say--Don't flaunt your wealth, don't talk about how hard your life is, in fact, don't say anything about your life; do charity work, add some stuff to your crappy Goop catalog that the average woman can buy. She can't do that and doesn't want to. If you've ever perused the disaster that is the Goop site, it's premised on the fiction that she has the best taste in the world and the best life in the world, and that we should all be grateful for a glimpse of Gwyneth's world. That's the same formula as Oprah's O but O mitigates her egomania with her charity work, humor and the fact that she truly is a self-made woman. Also, her weight struggle makes her relatable.

Gwyneth has a calculated appeal to younger women who are anorexic and either incredibly wealthy or aspire to her lifestyle. Why isn't that enough for her? Oh and I forgot--the worst medical information in the world is on that site along with howlers like "While he's clearly picked up some tricks, this is no ordinary teen with a blow torch and a sous-vide." Indeed

by Anonymousreply 196July 4, 2016 3:39 AM

she is deliberately pushing the unlikable and controversial angle to get her some headlines, you all don't understand how PR works

by Anonymousreply 197July 4, 2016 3:52 AM

BUMP

by Anonymousreply 198July 5, 2016 4:27 PM

I disagree that all publicity is good publicity, r197. That's true only in very rare cases.

I also disagree she enjoys having people hate her, or is even willing to put up with it to make money.

by Anonymousreply 199July 5, 2016 5:02 PM

Yeah, I don't buy that Gwynneth loves to be hated. It's one thing when you play a beloved villain, a la Susan Lucci as Erica Kane. Those are fun to hate and the actors often play along. But when the focus of the hatred centers on the actual actor and not the role, that's an entire different matter. Plus, most everyone who's worked with Goop (e.g. actors, director, crew) usually have nice things to say about her, so she's not a nightmare on the set. She's just ignorant about everyday life and struggles, because she's been sheltered all of her life, so she can't quite empathize with the common man. Anyway, she appears as if she likes to play jokes and make people laugh, which is an indication that a person craves positive attention.

by Anonymousreply 200July 5, 2016 5:14 PM

R78, she married fairly quickly after the death of her father in Italy. I'm not even sure she returned to the US before marrying, although she may have done so briefly. I always assumed she had this attitude of no one could match her father. Her mother wasn't even present for the Italian trip--maybe she had work commitments--so it was just Gwyneth and her dad and then he died, literally. So that freed her up to get married.

by Anonymousreply 201July 5, 2016 5:22 PM

She was a completely imperious cunt on The Daily Show. So much so that Jon Stewart sheepishly called her out on it. She's a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 202July 5, 2016 5:23 PM

[quote][R78], she married fairly quickly after the death of her father in Italy. I'm not even sure she returned to the US before marrying, although she may have done so briefly

Yes, I think she went back to get some trinkets and change of underwear, that sort of thing, also to arrange shipment of Root Beer for her time over there (one of her guilty secrets).

by Anonymousreply 203July 5, 2016 5:29 PM

Maybe Goop does very well financially. I mean, that's the bottom line and that is the only thing that makes her obliviousness to her unpopularity understandable.

I don't know if that BBC interviewer was the first person to ever call her out on this stuff.

If goop didn't work for her she'd have to re-evaluate. Otherwise some part of her is going to continue to think she's getting it right.

& we all know how gushy Americans are - "You're so great...I LUUUURVE you....I LUUUURVE everything on goop" - she must get all that constantly.

by Anonymousreply 204July 5, 2016 5:36 PM

[quote]I also disagree she enjoys having people hate her, or is even willing to put up with it to make money.

Seems to work for her, the people who know her personally talk nice about her. Who cares about some selfhating fat fraus spouting shit on her, they aren't buying Goop stuff anyway.

by Anonymousreply 205July 6, 2016 10:43 AM

"That she learned fluent Castilian Spanish flies in the face of those who try to portray her as dumb."

Do you seriously think it takes much intelligence to lisp in a language that millions of average people can also speak?

by Anonymousreply 206July 7, 2016 6:06 PM

[quote]lisp in a language

R206 doesn't speak any other languages.

by Anonymousreply 207July 7, 2016 10:19 PM

r5 has it right from her start.

It seems she'll never truly acknowledge the privilege she floated in on and basks in.

by Anonymousreply 208July 8, 2016 12:56 AM

posh cunt

by Anonymousreply 209May 31, 2018 2:07 AM

Thank you for bumping this essential two-year-old thread, r209. What would we have done without it/

by Anonymousreply 210May 31, 2018 2:12 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!