Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Florence Foster Jenkins is at 91% fresh with 41 reviews in!!!

#4?

click click click indeed.

by Anonymousreply 45April 13, 2021 7:10 AM

At least Meryl is African.

by Anonymousreply 1June 29, 2016 8:26 PM

I saw the French take on this movie Marguerite and I don't see how Meryl can top the lead actress in that.

by Anonymousreply 2June 29, 2016 8:39 PM

French? please.

by Anonymousreply 3June 29, 2016 8:42 PM

Just saw it. Loved it!

by Anonymousreply 4July 10, 2016 10:46 PM

Saw it Saturday. Awful. I can't believe this is directed by the same guy who did "The Queen." I'm floored that it gets 91% from Rotten Tomatoes. Is Hugh Grant paying off the critics in real life as he did in the movie?

by Anonymousreply 5August 22, 2016 6:40 PM

It's a fun movie, good rather than great.

I hope that it makes a profit, because there aren't enough movies made for grownups these days.

by Anonymousreply 6August 22, 2016 6:50 PM

I saw the movie. M is good. She's not Jessica Lange good, but she's okay.

by Anonymousreply 7August 22, 2016 6:51 PM

Your "first comedic Oscar," M?

Really? Because everyone in the theater with me that night I saw "The Iron Lady" was laughing his or her ass off.

Yes, your performance was THAT laughable, dearie.

by Anonymousreply 8August 22, 2016 6:57 PM

Catherine Frot got there first.

by Anonymousreply 9August 22, 2016 7:14 PM

That bit in Carnegie Hall when the black serviceman yells out "Baby!" to the blonde woman vamping in the aisle was absolutely ludicrous. First of all the black servicemen were segregated during the actual concert. In this sequence they're all seated next to each other. Uh uh. Very lazy, sloppy mistake by Frears.

by Anonymousreply 10August 23, 2016 4:25 AM

Saw it Saturday.

An enjoyable piece of fluff. Several racial anachronisms in the movie - but maybe that doesn't matter so much in what is just a little trifle.

At least there were no superheroes.

by Anonymousreply 11August 23, 2016 6:11 AM

She can't top Catherine Frot, but no american cares about the better Florence Foster Jenkins.

by Anonymousreply 12August 23, 2016 6:13 AM

R10, being historically accurate about segregation in NYC and the army would have taken a lot of the fun out of the movie.

Certainly showing that other people present had much worse problems than the Jenkinses would have robbed the scene of much of its tension and weirdness, so I can see why the director chose to integrate the scene.

by Anonymousreply 13August 23, 2016 6:15 AM

R13, why bother at all if you can't get the period correctly? Your argument is bogus.

by Anonymousreply 14August 23, 2016 4:51 PM

German songs during WW2; I don't think so.

by Anonymousreply 15August 23, 2016 4:56 PM

There was a Broadway show about Jenkins back in 2005 called SOUVENIR with Judy Kaye as Jenkins. The play is much better than this film and Streep is no better than Kaye was. The movie tries too hard to be feel-good (thus the racial anachronism mentioned above), while the play had some much-needed irony.

by Anonymousreply 16August 23, 2016 5:18 PM

[quote]Saw it Saturday. Awful. I can't believe this is directed by the same guy who did "The Queen." I'm floored that it gets 91% from Rotten Tomatoes. Is Hugh Grant paying off the critics in real life as he did in the movie?

I'm starting to think those DC fanboys have a point.

by Anonymousreply 17August 23, 2016 5:42 PM

In John Schlesinger's film Yanks the predicament of black servicemen stationed in England during World War II was very well done. There's just no reason for Frears to have gotten this so wrong in his film.

by Anonymousreply 18August 23, 2016 5:42 PM

Another error at the concert: Cole Porter walking.

by Anonymousreply 19August 23, 2016 6:18 PM

Still, I love that the filmmakers introduced Cole Porter and Talullah Bankhead, with the full expectation that the audience would cringe and think "The two snarkiest bitches of the era!".

Like I said, they don't make enough movies for grownups.

by Anonymousreply 20August 23, 2016 6:40 PM

And Earl Wilson was no Hedda Hopper.

by Anonymousreply 21August 23, 2016 11:40 PM

I was impressed that Meryl did all of her own singing and Simon Helberg (Howard from "Big Bang") did all of his own playing (at least according to the credits.) When they played the actual FFJ at the end, it was eerie how much Meryl sounded like her.

I had to laugh at the "Soundtrack available on Decca Records" part of the credits. Would anyone actually BUY that?

by Anonymousreply 22August 30, 2016 1:25 AM

R22 Meryl told Terry Gross that she was originally supposed to lip sync, but when she arrived on the set the director told her he had changed his mind and wanted her to do it live.

For the Carnegie Hall scene, they used her first three takes on audience reactions (they hadn't told the audience what she would sound like) and by the time they filmed her, her voice was much more hoarse than she would have liked.

by Anonymousreply 23August 30, 2016 1:40 AM

Aww I loved Hugh Grant in this.

by Anonymousreply 24August 30, 2016 1:42 AM

Glenn, darling! I agree, you gave the seminal comedic performance in Fatal Attraction! Not only as a woman, but a woman that Michael Douglas would actually sleep with! Brava!

by Anonymousreply 25August 30, 2016 6:23 AM

Streep will be lucky to score a nomination in what will be a very competitive year for actresses, and there is ZERO chance she would actually win.

And I agree with G, Streep's performance as Mrs. Thatcher was a camp fest.

by Anonymousreply 26August 30, 2016 6:46 AM

I found this very moving. No one who is singing earnestly and with all their heart should be laughed at, no matter how bad they are.

by Anonymousreply 27August 30, 2016 7:03 AM

R26, some of you DO hold Streep to a high standard, don't you! If she doesn't get at least an Oscar nom for every role she plays, you shriek with outrage and call her overrated.

This isn't an Oscar role, it obviously wasn't written one, it's practically a supporting role in a Hugh Grant film. But Streep doesn't mind doing fluff between her Oscar attempts; this film is not just fluffy, it must have been awfully fun to shoot - what singer wouldn't leap at the chance to imitate Florence Foster Jenkins? All that and a chance to keep working when you're an actress over 65, with all that who needs Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 28August 30, 2016 7:52 AM

oscars all around please.

by Anonymousreply 29August 30, 2016 8:04 AM

Yes, yes, but whom of the males reveal their buttocks?

by Anonymousreply 30August 30, 2016 9:00 AM

R30 should read," Yes, yes, but who of the males reveals his buttocks?" You writing is much like Florence's singing.

by Anonymousreply 31August 30, 2016 10:00 AM

She'll certainly be nominated for a Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Comedy or Musical but will probably lose to Renee Zellweger for Bridget Jones's Baby. People love a comeback.

by Anonymousreply 32August 30, 2016 10:56 AM

Simon Helberg deserves a supporting actor nod.

by Anonymousreply 33August 30, 2016 5:54 PM

No, he doesn't, R33. He makes funny faces to show how appalled Cosme is but that's it.

by Anonymousreply 34August 30, 2016 9:43 PM

With the exception of the exterior of Carnegie Hall, none of the streets looked like New York. No surprise since it was filmed in England. Meryl should have demanded it be done in New York so she could hop of the subway from her house in Greenwich Village to the studio

by Anonymousreply 35August 30, 2016 9:49 PM

r31 How uncanny, I too is a wealthy dowager!

by Anonymousreply 36August 31, 2016 11:04 PM

the dude from big bang is very limited as an actor. his acting consists of him using a high, light voice and that's it. the rest is mugging straight out of big bang.

by Anonymousreply 37September 1, 2016 3:00 AM

[quote]with all that who needs Oscars.

I almost passed out when I read this.

by Anonymousreply 38September 1, 2016 4:38 AM

R 24, I'm with you. I thought Hugh Grant was WONDERFUL in this.

by Anonymousreply 39September 1, 2016 11:14 PM

I shed a tear near the end when Meryl actually sang well to show how Florence heard it in her head—the poor, dear thing.

by Anonymousreply 40September 2, 2016 5:26 AM

r40 That reminds me of the scene in Ironweed, where her alcoholic character thinks she's singing fine in the tavern.

Another poo,r dear thing, but without all that helpful cash.

by Anonymousreply 41September 5, 2016 4:20 AM

"For the Carnegie Hall scene, they used her first three takes on audience reactions (they hadn't told the audience what she would sound like) and by the time they filmed her, her voice was much more hoarse than she would have liked."

I did it eight shows a week. Never missed. Never had a hoarse moment.

by Anonymousreply 42September 5, 2016 4:28 AM

I finally watched this tonight and I really enjoyed it. Streep was very good but I agree this was Grant's film. He was absolutely terrific and I can't believe he wasn't nominated.

by Anonymousreply 43April 13, 2021 5:44 AM

I agree, R5, it was awful and —for want of a better word— amoral.

This brainless one-joke comedy mocks opera.

Classical music and opera and other high art forms should be encouraged in our increasingly-vacuous society. Not mocked.

It's pathetic that an American big name brings in big money to fund this stupid project while the talented Stephen Frears can't get funding for his other more worthwhile films.

by Anonymousreply 44April 13, 2021 5:55 AM

I watched it on a plane at some point. It was alright.

by Anonymousreply 45April 13, 2021 7:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!