Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Bisexual actress Gail Russell

There is already an interesting thread on Gail Russell, but it is closed and that's why i decided to put on some details with a new one.

She was named 'The Hedy Lamarr of Santa Monica'. Born in Chicago, Illinois, Gail was raised mostly in Michigan on her uncle's farm. Her mother wanted to be famous but didn't have the necessary talent, so she channeled her energies into her daughter. Gail was a skillful artist and a very shy child who adored Ginger Rogers. When Gale was 12, the family moved to California and she went to school with Jane Russell who, although not related, became a close friend.

Her first film was 'Henry Aldrich Gets Glamour' (1943) as high school femme fatale, Virginia Lowry. The studio arranged dates for Gail. She was cast opposite her idol Ginger Rogers in 'Lady in the Dark' (1944), but Gail was so nervous it took nearly two days to shoot her two lines of dialogue. Nevertheless, she and Ginger Rogers became friends and the elder actress took a keen interest in the younger. 'The Uninvited' (1944), in which she played Stella Meredith, established Gail as a film star, although again she suffered from stage fright and that led to a nervous breakdown.

In 1949 Gail and Guy Madison went on a month-long holiday to get to know each other better and visit her relatives. On August 3, they married at the Biltmore Hotel in Santa Barbara. Gill's mother, father and brother were notable by their absence from the ceremony.

Joseph Losey's 'The Lawless' (1950) was her last film at Paramount. Losey later recalled Gail being absolutely terrified on set and unable to deliver a single line without a drink; once a drink arrived, she was word-perfect. During the shooting of her movies, she was lonely (Madison was unable to visit her, because of his own busy workload...), depressed, tired and drinking. Back in her hotel room after shooting, she was drink herself into oblivion. Gail and Madison separated and then in 1953 Gail was named as co-respondent by John Wayne's estranged wife, Esperanza Baur. Gail and Madison reconciled, but it was never a love match. She entered a sanatorium in Seattle, Washington, to try and recover, but in November 1953 she was arrested for drink-driving. Madison bailed her out, but on October 6, 1954 they were divorced.

Gail continued to appear in films, but she put on weight and lost much of her beauty due to drink. In 1957, she began a two-year lesbian relationship with singer Dorothy Shay. In the summer of that year, she was again arrested for drink-driving, when she crashed her car through a shop window, pinning a man under the from wheels. She was sentenced to 30 days in prison suspended, fined $420 and put on probation for three years.

On August 27, 1961, she was discovered dead, surrounded by empty vodka bottles in her home, at the age of 36. Gail had died some time between August 24 and 26. Cause of death: alcoholism and cirrhosis of the liver. She was also found to have been suffering from malnutrition at the time of her death.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36December 18, 2020 4:50 AM

Particularly in Angel and the Badman, I think Gail was one of the prettiest and most charming women in films of that era. From the few articles I've read bout her, this is the first I'd heard of the affair with Dorothy Shay or any other woman. Looking up Shay she isn't quite what I would have expected for Gail but by that stage of her slide, it's good she was able to find any comfort and compassion at all. Picture added of Shay who was three years older then Gail.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 23, 2016 4:24 PM

DataLounge favorite Guy Madison with his first wife Gail Russell in 1950

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 23, 2016 4:25 PM

If you are mentally fragile, it does not help to marry a gay man.

by Anonymousreply 3June 23, 2016 4:27 PM

I agree, R3.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 23, 2016 4:34 PM

She never did have Guy look at her the way he is looking at Rory (Chad Hunt) Calhoun in this picture.

Their long fishing trips alone had a certain "Nobody's business but ours" feel to them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 23, 2016 5:38 PM

The woman in the right hand corner looks like Deanna Durbin, but I could be mistaken. Gail is obviously looking over the wine list.

She is in the wonderfully depressing movie 'Night Has a Thousand Eyes" which has such a great opening scene in a train yard at night. She is also in the ghost story "The Uninvited" with Ray Milland and Ruth Hussey, it has a nice subdued spooky feel to it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 23, 2016 8:21 PM

That's not Gail in the picture and at first glance I though the other woman might be actress Diana Lynn, but then they both may be just two minor contract players who were always available to attend parties and premiers with other contract players to fill up some seats.

by Anonymousreply 7June 23, 2016 8:45 PM

You're right R7 about the R5 photo, it is not Gail Russell on the left, it is Cathy Downs, the other lady though is Deanna Durbin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 23, 2016 9:29 PM

Gail and Guy. Gail looks kind of blowsy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 24, 2016 2:26 AM

R1, nice photo of Dorothy Shay. She was good-looking. She and Gail made a cute couple. What a pity it didn't last until the end.

by Anonymousreply 10June 24, 2016 11:23 AM

R6, of the two movies you mentioned, i have seen 'The Uninvited'. Nice movie, i expected it to be better, but it was certainly atmospheric and Gail Russell was great in it. The other movie you wrote about, 'Night Has a Thousand Eyes' has a riveting plot. I definitely want to see that. Is there any chance, that the popular Bobby Vee song 'The Night Has a Thousand Eyes' owes its title to this movie?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 24, 2016 11:38 AM

Not sure about Bobby Vee's "The Night Has a Thousand Eyes", but the standard "Stella By Starlight" came from THE UNINVITED.

by Anonymousreply 12June 24, 2016 2:12 PM

Likely because of the style of that era but she always looked older to me than her actual age; she looks way too old for GUY MADISON in the photographs of the two.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 24, 2016 3:30 PM

I liked her in The Uninvited

by Anonymousreply 14July 2, 2016 9:33 PM

R11, I am very surprised, I found the Night Has 1000 Eyes online, you can watch it here. I have my own copy on VHS, it is impossible to buy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15July 2, 2016 10:00 PM

Yes, "The Uninvited" is good. I learned about it on DL!

by Anonymousreply 16July 2, 2016 10:52 PM

thanks for the site, R15!

by Anonymousreply 17July 2, 2016 10:58 PM

Why on earth was she called the Hedy Lamarr of Santa Monica? Was that a jab? Other than her brunette hair, she looks nothing like Hedy.

by Anonymousreply 18July 2, 2016 11:00 PM

Guy Madison had a couple of kids so I guess he married again? Or was Gail the mother?

by Anonymousreply 19July 2, 2016 11:01 PM

This is a nice photo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 2, 2016 11:02 PM

The Night Has a Thousand Eyes should be on DVD

by Anonymousreply 21July 3, 2016 12:19 AM

Glancing at a review of FALLEN STAR A BIOGRAPHY OF GAIL RUSSELL....

Mr. Ochoa does not delve deeply into the dark shadows of Gail’s life, such as alleged “casting couches” used by the “Studio SOB’s who took advantage of this beautiful young girl”, as cursed by a very angry John Wayne.

One heartwarming photo of many that touched me was of a delighted, happy Gail laughing with John Wayne, as he leaned in close to her and joked with her about who had the bluest eyes while on the set of Wake Of The Red Witch . Adele Mara, playing Gail’s niece in Wake Of The Red Witch , had observed that the very shy, socially reclusive Gail would not talk to anyone on set except for John Wayne. A year earlier, while working for John Wayne Productions on Angel And The Badman , John Wayne had taken such good care of Gail, spending a lot of time with her personally ensuring no alcohol, good healthy food to eat, touring sites and ensuring that Gail was not socially isolated, that 21 year old Gail had developed a serious crush on the 39 year old, but married Wayne. Wayne grew very attached to Gail too, but kept his deep affection for her fatherly. The sweet photo clearly demonstrates Wayne’s extremely positive effect on the very shy, insecure Gail.

by Anonymousreply 22July 3, 2016 12:57 AM

She looked a hell of a lot prettier with her mouth closed.

by Anonymousreply 23July 3, 2016 3:08 AM

[quote]she was discovered dead, surrounded by empty vodka bottles in her home

Classic.

by Anonymousreply 24July 3, 2016 11:45 AM

"Gail put on weight and lost much of her beauty due to drink"? No, I have her last film "The Silent Call" from 1961, three months before she died. Also, calling her friendship with Dorothy Shay "lesbian" seems to be a modern interpretation, it was most likely innocent.

by Anonymousreply 25April 22, 2018 7:24 PM

She is just heartbreaking in Frank Borzage's MOONRISE (49), soon to appear on Blu-Ray and DVD from Criterion.

She's barely 30 years old in SEVEN MEN FROM NOW (55), but she looks so frayed around the edges you'd think she was 45.

By the time she ended her career in THE TATTERED DRESS (58). it was almost unbearable to watch her.

by Anonymousreply 26April 22, 2018 7:40 PM

I guess the frau at r25 thinks homosexuality isn't "innocent"

by Anonymousreply 27April 23, 2018 12:09 AM

R18 I think it was because in that period of time Hedy Lamarr was called the most beautiful women in the world. I think it was her classmates in high school who gave her that moniker. I’m not sure they meant that she looked like her, more she was a tremendous beauty like Hedy.

by Anonymousreply 28June 5, 2018 12:42 PM

R25, according to this person, there were several women besides Shay...

[quote]In looking into the closeted scene decades ago, I found several women that admitted to having been in relationships with her - or I should say had sex with her. Sadly it was off the record.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 25, 2018 12:08 PM

She's got those lesbian eyes. Evidently not really into men.

by Anonymousreply 30October 25, 2018 12:24 PM

Interesting stuff

by Anonymousreply 31October 25, 2018 3:38 PM

Gail Russell was not gay. She was straight. . . 100%.

by Anonymousreply 32October 29, 2018 8:55 PM

could you possibly get any hunkier than guy madison in that era? That could have been a frustrating situation for her especially as he was prettier than she was

by Anonymousreply 33October 30, 2018 5:06 AM

If you want to see her at her most doom-laden try to find Night Has a Thousand Eyes, or The Uninvited, with Ray Milland.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 30, 2018 5:15 AM

R19, Guy Madison had three daughters with his second wife, Sheila Connolly. He also had a son, Roberto, from an affair with an unknown Italian woman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35October 30, 2018 5:31 AM

As R26 mentions, she is heartbreaking in "Moonrise", and that film is something of an unsung masterpiece. Just gorgeous. She is beautiful in it, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36December 18, 2020 4:50 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!