Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Spielberg's 'West Side Story'!

Googled Sondheim, and this emerged. Kushner's screenplay. Have at it!

by Anonymousreply 95October 16, 2018 11:34 AM

Well, SPIELBERG is always excellent. It's just that when you already have a film version that is considered 'classic' the new version almost never surpasses the original.

I was think that aside from NATALIE WOOD, most of the cast in the main roles from the 1961 film are still living. I wonder what they think about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 21, 2016 5:01 PM

If Kushner's involved, count me out.

by Anonymousreply 2June 21, 2016 5:02 PM

Spielberg's version will doubtlessly feature MUCH younger men than the twenty-somethings who played the Jets and the Sharks in 1961. After all, everyone knows......

by Anonymousreply 3June 21, 2016 5:04 PM

If Hollywood really wanted to be creative and innovative they would make gay version with very mainstream appeal. Our community loves musicals, though i hate them. But they won't so this will an epic failure.

by Anonymousreply 4June 21, 2016 5:09 PM

Are they going to tear down Lincoln Center so they can film it?

by Anonymousreply 5June 21, 2016 5:15 PM

No, they can just remove it digitally.

by Anonymousreply 6June 21, 2016 5:21 PM

Today's generation will be baffled by a musical showing anyone worth less than ten million dollars living in Manhattan.

by Anonymousreply 7June 21, 2016 5:22 PM

What's intriguing to me is that SS really really wanted the rights to do this, and finally secured them. I wouldn't specially see him as a musical theatre guy.

Anyway, he thinks he can bring something new to a landmark work, so let's see. Great populist takes on modern masterpiece, what can possibly go wrong.

Kushner's involvement actually inspires some confidence. I wonder what input Sondheim, sole creative survivor, will be granted - given his belief that musical theatre doesn't work on screen. All in all, a prospect to keep DL buzzing for months.

by Anonymousreply 8June 21, 2016 5:27 PM

r3 eh, I'm guessing he'll go the Jay Z route with this, but with muslims... and I expect Lucus to join the circlejerk finding a space for Darth JarJar somewhere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 21, 2016 5:33 PM

May Natalie Wood and her horrible faux Latino accent RIP. She sounded like a braying mule.

by Anonymousreply 10June 21, 2016 5:34 PM

Selena Gomez as Maria. Justin Bieber as Tony.

by Anonymousreply 11June 21, 2016 5:39 PM

The film of West Side Story is pretty much perfect as it is. I'd rather see him remake a flawed Broadway adaptation (Brigadoon, South Pacific, Camelot, etc.) or make one that hasn't been filmed yet (Chess, Grand Hotel, Sunset Blvd., etc.).

by Anonymousreply 12June 21, 2016 5:39 PM

Frankie James Grande IS Tony!

by Anonymousreply 13June 21, 2016 5:43 PM

Lin Manuel Miranda IS Bernardo!

by Anonymousreply 14June 21, 2016 5:44 PM

r12 "Drat! The Cat!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 21, 2016 5:47 PM

Well, this time around it should be Puerto Ricans playing Puerto Ricans unlike the 1961 version of Italians and Greeks and Natalie Wood in dark make-up. I didn't say it would be better just more authentic.

by Anonymousreply 16June 21, 2016 5:47 PM

r12

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 21, 2016 5:49 PM

[quote]given his belief that musical theatre doesn't work on screen

Maybe his shows would have worked better on screen without a girlfriend-beating drunken garbage can of a human being like Johnny Depp stinking them up.

by Anonymousreply 18June 21, 2016 6:15 PM

Wow, with West Side Story premiering and Gypsy in pre-production, it's like it's 1961 all over again.

by Anonymousreply 19June 21, 2016 6:30 PM

[quote]it's like it's 1961 all over again.

Sounds good to me.

by Anonymousreply 20June 21, 2016 6:34 PM

I agree with you, R12.

I was really taken aback when I hear the Tony nominations: nearly every musical (of course, save HAMILTON) were musicals made from movies.

And I just heard that Cheers, the television show, will soon be a play. I can only hope it is like the horrific play Diane wrote on Frasier:

"Why do we come to the bar night after night? MARIANNE. MARIANNE. MARIANNE."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 21, 2016 6:34 PM

Perhaps, next, he can do the remake of CASABLANCA that was teased in the '90s: Starring the stars of Gigli: Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez!

by Anonymousreply 22June 21, 2016 6:35 PM

Someone needs to remake E.T. and Jaws.

by Anonymousreply 23June 21, 2016 6:36 PM

Eddie Redmayne *is* Schindler's List.

In a world where wrong was right, there was one man whose moral compass had not left due North. Oscar Winner Eddie Redmayne in his bravest role to date plays Oskar Schindler, the man who loved the Jews too much to let them take that fatal train ride. He needed their knowledge, they needed his freedom. Schindler's List in theaters 2017. Soundtrack by Lin-Manuel Miranda.

by Anonymousreply 24June 21, 2016 6:42 PM

Will they be shaking selfie sticks at each other instead of snapping their fingers?

by Anonymousreply 25June 21, 2016 6:42 PM

Spielberg will restore the original language. Birth to Earth will be returned to Sondheim's original "Ass to mouth."

by Anonymousreply 26June 21, 2016 6:44 PM

[quote]Spielberg will restore the original language.

So instead of cutting the frabba-jabba, he is going to restore it.

by Anonymousreply 27June 21, 2016 6:47 PM

Spielberg will turn it into typical Jewish pro-multi-culturalism anti-white propaganda. Expect that Hamilton Puerto Rican to have a starring role, since he did such a good job re-writing the history of the founding fathers with his Jewish handlers.

And expect some precocious pre-teen boys, because it's Speilberg and he loves them so.

by Anonymousreply 28June 21, 2016 6:48 PM

Spielberg and Kushner made the Lincoln movie where the final and key line of the movie was some Jewish crap about Jerusalem.

They also made Munich together, where the plucky Jews get their revenge on the goyim by committing many acts of terrorism all over Europe.

And of course in Angels in America, Kushner rehabilitated the image of the treasonous Rosenbergs, and turned Ethel into a cuddly angel.

This tribe has a one track mind, and never miss an opportunity to propagandize in their favor.

by Anonymousreply 29June 21, 2016 6:52 PM

West Side Story was originally going to be called East Side Story and it was going to be about rival gangs of Italians and Jews, which makes more sense as they are violent lawless people that gave the USA the Mafia. Polacks and Puerto Ricans lived side by side peaceably and intermingled freely in the real West Side of NYC in the 1950s.

by Anonymousreply 30June 21, 2016 6:52 PM

typica, r30. Jews have erased all knowledge of Jewish mafia from the minds of Americans. Same thing with Jewish communists. Gone. Replaced by fake holocaust memoirs by Elie Weisel (Irgun journalist) and Anne Frank's father the Nazi war profiteer and plagiarist.

by Anonymousreply 31June 21, 2016 6:58 PM

[quote]Expect that Hamilton Puerto Rican to have a starring role

Well, he is one Oscar short of an EGOT.

by Anonymousreply 32June 21, 2016 7:00 PM

Just so long as my choreography is followed to the letter.

by Anonymousreply 33June 21, 2016 7:00 PM

[quote]Just so long as my choreography is followed to the letter.

Yeah, like that's going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 34June 21, 2016 7:07 PM

Jennifer Lopez IS Anita!

by Anonymousreply 35June 21, 2016 7:16 PM

Selena Gomez is Maria!

by Anonymousreply 36June 21, 2016 7:18 PM

At least they didn't give it to Ryan Murphy.

Lea Michele IS Maria!

NeNe Leakes IS Anita!

Darren Criss IS Tony!

Chris Colfer IS Anybodys!

by Anonymousreply 37June 21, 2016 7:24 PM

This film is a classic and a remake will be a big bomb! Will it be an American-Muslim girl falling in love with some white christian guy to update it? Will Tony get beheaded at the end instead of shot?

by Anonymousreply 38June 21, 2016 7:24 PM

This could be the new [italic]Shitty Little Annie[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 39June 21, 2016 7:32 PM

What was wrong with the old Shitty Little Annie R39?

by Anonymousreply 40June 21, 2016 7:33 PM

(Streisand's versions of "He Touched Me", above, in the 60s and in concert in '94 leave dwarf these. )

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41June 21, 2016 7:33 PM

LOL, r28, you probably will be right.

by Anonymousreply 42June 21, 2016 7:36 PM

R28, the truth is anti-white.

by Anonymousreply 43June 21, 2016 7:38 PM

Yeah Speilberg and Kushner will make it about a Muslim angel in evil america.

by Anonymousreply 44June 21, 2016 8:21 PM

r43 the truth is anti-semitic

Orthodox ‘Christmas Elf’ Arrested in Sprawling New York Bribery and Corruption Probe

"On Christmas Day three years ago, two Orthodox businessmen dressed as Christmas elves knocked on the door of the Staten Island home of a high-ranking officer in the New York City police department. The elves came bearing gifts, according to a criminal complaint unsealed this morning in federal court in Manhattan: A video game system for the officer’s children and jewelry for his wife. All told, the officer’s alleged Christmas haul was worth $1,000. The new details come amid a fresh wave of arrests in the federal corruption investigation connecting high-ranking members of the New York Police Department with the Christmas elves-cum-Orthodox businessmen. Federal wiretaps of the Orthodox businessmen uncovered a system of alleged bribes and payoffs, leading to a sprawling scandal that has already ended or disrupted the careers of a number of police officials and resulted in the indictment on corruption charges of the powerful head of the corrections officers union."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45June 21, 2016 8:23 PM

Jew York Story

"According to the complaint, Rechnitz flew Reichberg and Grant to Las Vegas for a vacation in 2013. A prostitute accompanied them on their trip. “GRANT and other took advantage of her services,” the complaint asserts. The police contacts also pulled strings to get a lane closed on the busy Lincoln Tunnel so a visiting pal of Reichberg could be whisked into Manhattan, the New York Post reported."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46June 21, 2016 8:25 PM

NOOOOO! don't remake it!!! I love it, cheesy dubbed in singing and all. I loved Rita Moreno and George Chakiris. Russ Tamblyn. Tucker Smith. All of them!

by Anonymousreply 47June 21, 2016 8:36 PM

Way to be the turd in the punchbowl, R45/46. Good job.

by Anonymousreply 48June 21, 2016 8:38 PM

Ariana Grande is Maria.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49June 21, 2016 8:38 PM

In all fairness, Ariana COULD sing the fuck out of that score. She has one of the most versatile voices in the business, but her acting...christ. Then again, I'm sure most people will be going in wanting to hear that beautiful score sung well.

by Anonymousreply 50June 21, 2016 8:40 PM

Frankie Grande IS Anybodys! No, not in the movie-- anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 51June 21, 2016 8:48 PM

R36, meet R11.

by Anonymousreply 52June 21, 2016 8:52 PM

[quote]Lea Michele IS Maria!

We've been through this before. Was I not chosen to play Maria because I'm a proud black woman?

by Anonymousreply 53June 21, 2016 8:55 PM

Well is Selena Gomez Mexican American or Puerto Rican? Huh?

What about Ariana? Because for all her obnoxious "ME! ME! ME!!!" behavior, I love Ariana's singing. I wonder if Demi Lovato might want to try for Anita?

Actually to be fair and honest Spielberg ought to look to the Broadway stage for his casting choices. I get it he wants to assure box office and make it contemporary, but if he wants real talent go to Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 54June 21, 2016 9:02 PM

Patti LuPone IS Anita!

by Anonymousreply 55June 21, 2016 9:04 PM

Eva Mendes is Anita!

by Anonymousreply 56June 21, 2016 9:14 PM

Ricky Martin IS Maria!

by Anonymousreply 57June 21, 2016 9:18 PM

Julianne Hough IS Velma

by Anonymousreply 58June 21, 2016 9:22 PM

LOL! Who'll be Pop at the drug store? Who'll be Officer Krupke?

What I worry about is that Speilberg might attempt to make it more contemporary. That would be a mistake. it would affect the music.

by Anonymousreply 59June 21, 2016 9:22 PM

Alan Arkin IS Doc!

by Anonymousreply 60June 21, 2016 9:31 PM

Justin Bieber IS Anybodys!

by Anonymousreply 61June 21, 2016 9:32 PM

We don't need a remake of [italic]West Side Story[/italic]. We do need a remake of [italic]A Chorus Line[/italic]; why doesn't Spielberg try that instead to get back at Dickie Attenborough for stealing [italic]E.T.[/italic]'s Best Picture Oscar?

by Anonymousreply 62June 21, 2016 9:33 PM

I wouldn't cast him in the movie, but Darren Criss did a terrific version of "Something's Coming" on "Glee." I don't think I've ever heard anyone belt the final note before; everyone just floats it.

by Anonymousreply 63June 21, 2016 9:42 PM

[quote] I wouldn't cast him in the movie, but Darren Criss did a terrific version of "Something's Coming" on "Glee."

You're welcome.

by Anonymousreply 64June 21, 2016 9:44 PM

Shakira IS Rosalia!

by Anonymousreply 65June 21, 2016 9:45 PM

Jane Lynch IS Officer Krupke!

by Anonymousreply 66June 21, 2016 9:46 PM

Jayden Smith IS Baby John!

by Anonymousreply 67June 21, 2016 10:05 PM

Shawn Mendes could be one of the chorus boys.

by Anonymousreply 68June 21, 2016 10:35 PM

"Hey Shitberg! How about you take a great movie and remake it until it sucks ass!"

Spielberg certainly doesn't have the talent to take a movie that totally sucks and remake it so it's great. He's too stupid to even think of it.

by Anonymousreply 69June 21, 2016 10:59 PM

Keep coooley-cool boy! Go, man go! But not like a yo-yo school boy!

If he fucks with those lyrics... I will kill him.

by Anonymousreply 70June 21, 2016 11:00 PM

They just announced it! Liza has signed to play Anybody's!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71June 21, 2016 11:02 PM

Spielberg hasn't made a decent movie in decades. He's the movie version of auto-tune. Soulless, scrubbed free of nuance and dumbed down to the lowest common denominator. He's an appalling choice to remake a classic musical.

by Anonymousreply 72June 21, 2016 11:43 PM

r72, it will have as much soul as a George Lucas directed Star Wars musical.

by Anonymousreply 73June 21, 2016 11:45 PM

He's in a race against Scorsese over something, by 2020.

by Anonymousreply 74June 21, 2016 11:46 PM

Boston Marathon Bombing was pretty good effects

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75June 21, 2016 11:51 PM

[quote]Who'll be Pop at the drug store?

Alec Baldwin.

by Anonymousreply 76June 22, 2016 12:16 AM

In a nod to the original, the character Pops becomes Moms, played by Rita. In a very short but insidery cameo, Chita mugs her with a bat.

by Anonymousreply 77June 22, 2016 9:48 AM

Did he have to wait till Arthur Laurents died to tackle this?

by Anonymousreply 78June 22, 2016 10:42 AM

Why has nobody suggested the Landers sisters for any of the roles?

by Anonymousreply 79June 22, 2016 12:25 PM

Nothing can top this. Certainly not Speilberg. This was a magnificent sequence. All of it. I say let it be. Why fool with perfection.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80June 22, 2016 12:44 PM

If there is any movie that we don't need a remake of, it's WSS

by Anonymousreply 81June 22, 2016 2:07 PM

Spielberg's going to take a new approach to the story. He's going to cast Barbra Streisand as Maria. The entire show will be done in Maria's mind. So Barbs will be singing all the songs as "the narrator" of the story. At the end of the movie, the audience will discover that this young Puerto Rican girl is really in the mind of an old Jewish woman.

by Anonymousreply 82June 22, 2016 2:53 PM

Of the four gay Jews who created "West Side Story" - Leonard Bernstein, Arthur Laurents, Jerome Robbins and Stephen Sondheim - only Sondheim is still alive. What does Sondheim think of all this?

by Anonymousreply 83June 22, 2016 3:07 PM

[quote]What does Sondheim think of all this?

He thinks WSS would have been better if they had let him compose the music.

by Anonymousreply 84June 22, 2016 3:25 PM

[quote]What does Sondheim think of all this?

He thinks ka-ching ka-ching. Sondheim has no respect for his work. As long as he gets a paycheck out of it, he'd sell "Being Alive" as the theme song to a funeral home.

by Anonymousreply 85June 22, 2016 3:29 PM

Hmmm... is he going to use the original Jerome Robbins choreography?

I bet he'll incorporate hip hop lyrics into some of the songs like "When You're A Jet," "Cool," "Gee Officer, Krupke" and the "Tonight" quintet.

I wonder if it will still take place in the '50s?

Will the Mambo dance sequence get an EDM remix?

by Anonymousreply 86June 22, 2016 4:49 PM

I am sure Sondheim loves the money.

I am equally sure that he loves seeing his work re-imagined for a different audience and time.

by Anonymousreply 87June 22, 2016 4:51 PM

Are they going to use the Spanish lyrics that were written for the most recent Broadway revival?

by Anonymousreply 88June 22, 2016 5:44 PM

[quote]Are they going to use the Spanish lyrics that were written for the most recent Broadway revival?

No, because of what they found out Sondheim wrote in America. His new Spanish lyrics were:

I like young boys and whips and chains

by Anonymousreply 89June 22, 2016 6:15 PM

So what if they remake it? No one is forcing you to see it.

Does anyone know if they plan to set in the present?

by Anonymousreply 90June 22, 2016 7:03 PM

R45 is why hatred of whites, heterosexuals and gentiles is not only justified but a prerequisite for anyone with a brain.

[quote] So what if they remake it? No one is forcing you to see it.

"Peer pressure" is a more apt phrase.

by Anonymousreply 91June 22, 2016 7:07 PM

[quote]hatred of whites, heterosexuals and gentiles is not only justified but a prerequisite for anyone with a brain.

Jew Troll is a troll who is Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 92June 22, 2016 7:16 PM

R89 You say that like it's a bad thing.

by Anonymousreply 93June 22, 2016 7:23 PM

Q: How do you know when a goy is lying?

A: Its vile, greasy liver lips are moving?

by Anonymousreply 94June 22, 2016 7:41 PM

Article in Deadline today.

Dunkirk's Harry Styles has been cast as Riff.

by Anonymousreply 95October 16, 2018 11:34 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!