Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The romantic case of actor Charles Boyer

There is already a very good thread, that someone of you made on Charles Boyer, but ,unfortunately, it is closed. That's why i took the liberty to create a new one. As you already mentioned on his previous thread, Charles Boyer, indeed committed suicide, after the death of his wife and, yes, his only child Michael Charles had committed suicide previously, in 1965. But, let's add some of the little details that escaped us before.

In the seventies, Boyer went for a health check-up and suggested his wife (Pat Boyer) did the same. Pat was diagnosed with inoperable colon and liver cancer and was given a year to live. Boyer kept this from her and the coupled moved to Paradise Valley, Scottsdale, Arizona, for what she believed was his health. Boyer read constantly to his wife as she became sicker. On August 24, 1978, at 3am, she died aged 67 of the disease, as Boyer hold her hand. Boyer was grief-stricken and two days later he took an overdose of Seconal. He died in hospital in Phoenix. He was buried next to his wife and next to their son. His son son believing himself a loser, had committed suicide, in 1965 with a 38 calibre revolver. He was only 22 years old.

I find it heartbreaking and romantic that his wife died in Arizona, because it was also in Arizona that Charles Boyer married her, on St. Valentine's Day, in 1934.

Before reading about him, i thought Boyer was gay. So, was he bi, or just an effeminate straight?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53October 3, 2019 9:11 PM

His wife was beautiful, but I don't think Boyer was merely straight!

by Anonymousreply 1June 11, 2016 4:27 PM

His is my favorite celebrity appearance on "I Love Lucy".

In the era of the douche-bro any male with poise, polish and decent manners is read as effeminate/gay.

The end of his marriage and of his life seems to come right out of one his movies.

by Anonymousreply 2June 11, 2016 4:27 PM

His character in Gaslight was largely a two dimensional mustache twirling villain - but mane was he effective in that role.

by Anonymousreply 3June 11, 2016 4:32 PM

The French have a romantic relationship with death that lasts all through life until death comes to take them home.

by Anonymousreply 4June 11, 2016 4:37 PM

Boyer was nominated 4 times for an Academy Award (Conquest, 1937; Algiers, 1938; Gaslight, 1944; Fanny, 1961) but only received an Honorary Oscar for establishing the French Research Foundation, which is now at UCLA:

"Holdings on literature were significantly expanded in 1970 with the gift of the late actor Charles Boyer's library, previously known as the French Research Foundation. The approximately ten thousand volumes in this collection included a 1771 edition of Diderot's Encyclopedie and complete or long runs of several major French literary and satiric journals as well as carefully assembled ephemera: posters, press clippings, and other materials."

by Anonymousreply 5June 11, 2016 4:37 PM

He's my ideal man: cultured, literate, liberal, devoted, romantic, handsome. Do such men still exist?

by Anonymousreply 6June 11, 2016 4:39 PM

Actually, it is rare for an actor to be married to the same woman for many years and until the end of their lives. I don't think it has to do with him being French. We know many French actors and actresses whose marriages didn't last.

R6, you mean such 'people' still exist? Women are more, or little like men. They are not angels.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 11, 2016 4:43 PM

*more or less

by Anonymousreply 8June 11, 2016 4:44 PM

I don't imply that Boyer was an angel, but the fact that he stayed with the same person for so many years, until the end, says a lot. Every day, there are many temptations, especially when your profession is acting in movies. As a matter of fact, it's easy to step out of a marriage, when you are an actor/actress.

by Anonymousreply 9June 11, 2016 4:51 PM

Some people find partners they are truly happy with and value above anything else. It happens. So lucky.

by Anonymousreply 10June 11, 2016 4:59 PM

I wonder if nympho Ingrid Bergman made a pass on him, while they were filming 'Gaslight', R3.

by Anonymousreply 11June 11, 2016 5:14 PM

I am thinking she might have been more likely to have a fling with Joseph Cotton during that film.

by Anonymousreply 12June 11, 2016 5:28 PM

Joseph was also married back then. Certainly, Ingrid must have tried to seduce, either Boyer, or Cotten, because they were both married at the time, and she had a thing about married men...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 11, 2016 5:36 PM

Boyer was described by friends as a “happily married book-worm and a stick in the mud.”

by Anonymousreply 14June 11, 2016 5:38 PM

Boyer was a homebody. It was his wife who had the fabulous dinner parties. He was bald , short and had a paunch but he was great to work with and directors loved him. He had great toupees. He was very faithful to his wife.

Louis Jordan was much the same. Both French guys who were faithful homebodies who loved their families

Charles Boyer's son died while playing Russian Roulette.

by Anonymousreply 15June 11, 2016 5:48 PM

Boyer is very good in "A Woman's Vengeance" (1948), in which he plays a man whose invalid wife dies, and he suddenly marries his much younger girlfriend, Ann Blyth, angering the woman next door, Jessica Tandy, who had expected him to marry her. Lovely moments, particularly a scene near the end wherein Boyer describes his acceptance of the inevitability of death. Gorgeous music score by Miklos Rozsa, with a heartrending string solo theme.

by Anonymousreply 16June 11, 2016 5:54 PM

I saw two of his films quite recently and he was wonderful in each. John M. Stahl's WHEN TOMORROW COMES (1939), which is a lovely film, and the truly great HOLD BACK THE DAWN (1941) by Mitchell Leisen.

by Anonymousreply 17June 11, 2016 6:04 PM

He was lovely and warm in "Fannie" as a Marseille barkeeper.

by Anonymousreply 18June 11, 2016 6:05 PM

Now that you are talking about his movies, he also played in The Cobweb', one of my favorite films. Only Bacall didn't fit in this movie. Don't take me wrong, Bacall was a good actress, but this role didn't become her. On the other hand, Gloria Grahame was FABULOUS and so was...Lillian Gish! All the other actors were also effective in their roles, let alone Charles Boyer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 11, 2016 6:16 PM

For those who speak French this is an excellent TV program from 1989 where French actors talk about working in Hollywood. Tyrone Powers' wife Annabella is quite interesting. Capucine seems to have been in a manic phase this evening. Much interesting info re the French in Hollywood.

Charles Boyer is mentioned as one of the few French actors who remained in the USA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 11, 2016 6:23 PM

Handsome man, indeed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 11, 2016 6:23 PM

Onscreen, Boyer was a handsome international playboy type. Offscreen, as already mentioned, he was a short and paunchy homebody, who wore lifts and girdles to slim down and straighten his posture, and toupees to hide his receding hairline. On the first day of ALL THIS, AND HEAVEN TOO, Bette Davis failed to recognize him out of costume and tried to have him removed from the set.

Somebody had mentioned Louis Jourdan. Like Boyer, Jourdan also lost his only son, Louis, who swallowed a whole bottle of pills at the age of 29.

by Anonymousreply 22June 11, 2016 6:23 PM

r4 Perhaps that's the reason the French refer to an orgasm as 'Le Petit Mort'?

by Anonymousreply 23June 11, 2016 6:28 PM

Wow, this correlation is chilling R22. Very interesting. So was your trivia about Bette!

by Anonymousreply 24June 11, 2016 6:29 PM

Hmmm R23....you made an excellent point.

You beautifully dressed this thread with your remarks, all of you guys.

by Anonymousreply 25June 11, 2016 6:34 PM

As you did with the previous Charles Boyer thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 11, 2016 6:37 PM

He was also handsome, when he got older.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 11, 2016 6:59 PM

He was a most unlikely sex symbol, being a small, unimposing man who wasn't classically handsome and who obviously wasn't a man of action. He was the opposite of the ideal of masculinity of his era, the gruff, butch Clark Gables and John Waynes.

Yet women of the 1930s and 1940s ADORED him. Partly because of a magnificent voice that made the cheesiest dialogue sound deliciously elegant, and partly because IMHO so many women were absolutely dying for a little sophistication in their lives. Really, life was less than fun for non-wealthy women during those years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28June 11, 2016 8:47 PM

They all are buried near Sharon Tate and beside Zazu Pitts.

by Anonymousreply 29June 11, 2016 8:50 PM

I was going to post that French wives of that era were very tolerant of husbands having affairs, but Pat Boyer wasn't French - she was from Yorkshire.

Who knows if he was completely faithful. If he wasn't at least he was discreet, which is better behavior than most of his Hollywood peers managed.

by Anonymousreply 30June 11, 2016 8:55 PM

He played loyal and faithful so well, even managed to make it seem interesting. He made undying love sexy, and it seems like that's because he lived it offscreen.

by Anonymousreply 31June 11, 2016 9:33 PM

As a little kid I saw many cartoons in which he was parodied as a silly French lover spouting the line "Come wiz me to thee Casbah!" which was from his film Algiers with Hedy Lamarr. I think his character in Algiers was called Pepe Le Moko and the cartoon skunk Pepe Le Pew must have been based on him as well.

by Anonymousreply 32June 11, 2016 10:43 PM

In an interview, Bette Davis once named Boyer as one of the sexiest of her leading men, particularly his eyes.

by Anonymousreply 33June 11, 2016 10:48 PM

In Hollywood films, Charles Boyer, and later, Louis Jourdan, epitomized the quintessential French lover, sophisticated, urbane, romantic, world-weary and sometimes fatalistic lovers. The irony is both Boyer and Jourdan were from the South of France (Figeac and Marseille respectively), an entirely different culture from that of Paris, and one that snooty Parisians dismiss as rowdy, unsophisticated, and provincial.

by Anonymousreply 34June 11, 2016 11:59 PM

R16 I want to see that movie!

by Anonymousreply 35June 12, 2016 12:05 AM

She was his lobster

by Anonymousreply 36June 12, 2016 12:19 AM

Fanny (1961), which also features the breathtakingly beautiful (and bisexual) Horst Buchholz, is coming out on blu-ray in September.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37June 12, 2016 1:04 AM

Any pics of his son? Was he ugly and couldn't live up to his dad's image?

by Anonymousreply 38June 12, 2016 1:05 AM

Dad said Boyer had one of those marriages where the parents were all wrapped up with each other, and while they loved the kid very much, he may have felt like an outsider.

by Anonymousreply 39June 12, 2016 1:13 AM

R38, Michael Charles Boyer, 22

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40June 12, 2016 1:58 AM

r29, Zasu Pitts. Her mother had 2 sisters: Eliza and Susan. She combined parts of both names to come up with Zasu. She was arguably the most scene stealing actor ever to be filmed.

by Anonymousreply 41June 12, 2016 2:02 AM

Per R40's link, the son shot himself while playing Russian Roulette. Is that the same as committing suicide?

by Anonymousreply 42June 12, 2016 2:46 AM

It says he was playing Russian Roulette while depressed over the end of a relationship; sounds like suicide to me.

by Anonymousreply 43June 12, 2016 3:05 AM

While he fit the continental debonair for Hollywood, in his native tongue he was dynamic, the lengths he would go were elusive and complex. Or maybe it was just Ophuls.

by Anonymousreply 44June 12, 2016 3:46 AM

Awfully sad about his wife's death and then his own. I never knew this about them.

by Anonymousreply 45June 12, 2016 3:49 AM

He and Mildred Natwick were more interesting than Robert Redford and Jane Fonda in "Barefoot in the Park." Funnier too.

I agree about his guest shot on "I Love Lucy." He was charming and very funny. I loved him imitating Lucy's idea of what he sounded like.

by Anonymousreply 46June 12, 2016 4:05 AM

Jeanine Basinger's book "The Star Machine" has a very interesting chapter devoted to Boyer (and William Powell).

She discusses the "Lucy" episode to illustrate his versatility and self- awareness of his popular image.

I like him in "The April Fools" too.

by Anonymousreply 47June 12, 2016 8:49 PM

He had elegance.

If you ain't got elegance

You can never ever carry it off

by Anonymousreply 48June 12, 2016 8:53 PM

"The Earring of Madame de..." is on TCM with Charles Boyer and Danielle Darrieux, who turned 99 last month. Amazing.

by Anonymousreply 49June 15, 2016 5:29 AM

Watching it now. Wow! She's still alive

by Anonymousreply 50June 15, 2016 5:33 AM

On the "Gaslight" set, it was all about Boyer and Dame May Whitty.

by Anonymousreply 51June 15, 2016 5:39 AM

Who needs Boyer?!

by Anonymousreply 52June 15, 2016 5:50 AM

I'm confused by the OP: how could his wife not be told she had cancer? The doctors surely didn't tell only her husband, and not her. Doesn't make sense.

by Anonymousreply 53October 3, 2019 9:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!