Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tim Burton

Why/how did he lose his creative touch?

by Anonymousreply 20October 17, 2019 2:11 AM

Mars Attacks!

by Anonymousreply 1June 5, 2016 2:11 AM

John Waters syndrome...

so much smoke was blown up his arse

now all he can do is fart out of his mouth

by Anonymousreply 2June 5, 2016 2:11 AM

Edward Scissorhands, Beetlejuice, Batman, Ed Wood and The Corpse Bride were brilliant films. So it's not like he doesn't have a good track record. But somewhere along the way, the wheels fell off.

Maybe he spent too much time hanging around Johnny Depp.

by Anonymousreply 3June 5, 2016 2:48 AM

There's lots to like but I wouldn't say that he ever directed a brilliant or deservedly classic film. Ed Wood is the closest that he came and that was a long time ago.

His list of outright duds is long. Remember Planet of the Apes starring Marky "I refuse to wear a loincloth" Mark? Woof.

by Anonymousreply 4June 5, 2016 2:52 AM

He went digital / CGI crazy, and his films lost their organic human feel.

by Anonymousreply 5June 5, 2016 3:04 AM

What R5 said. And putting Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter into everything he made didn't help either.

by Anonymousreply 6June 5, 2016 3:12 AM

I always thought he was a one trick pony. The illusion wears off after awhile.

by Anonymousreply 7June 5, 2016 3:15 AM

I concur with R5. I think the CGI is probably for budget reasons (and, thus, probably forced by the studios), but it is his downfall. He needs to revert back to original material as well.

by Anonymousreply 8June 5, 2016 4:34 AM

I haven't liked anything since Big Fish. The constant Johnny Depp-acting-weird-and-speaking-with-faux-English-accent collaborations got boring. Planet of the Apes is a major stain on his resume. It gets worse with age.

I thought Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was absolutely awful. Joyless, unfunny, ugly. The 70s Willy Wonka was fun and whimsical with the right touch of wickedness. Charlie just didn't find the right tone and Depp was a major turn-off.

by Anonymousreply 9June 5, 2016 4:39 AM

Everybody runs out of steam at some point. The Coen Bros. are contemporaries of his who have also run out of steam.

But their egos are too big to retire,

by Anonymousreply 10June 5, 2016 5:23 AM

yeah he got old. his stuff is dated now

by Anonymousreply 11June 5, 2016 5:29 AM

R11 Edward Scissorhands hasn't dated. I think it is a genuine classic. A lot of the rest is rubbish.

by Anonymousreply 12June 5, 2016 6:45 AM

He's the same gen as Ang Lee, who has used CGI in a "practical effect" sort of way: the human always towers the highest.

by Anonymousreply 13June 5, 2016 6:48 AM

Victor in the corpse bride was so gay.

by Anonymousreply 14October 16, 2019 11:49 PM

Zero understanding of screenplays and development. He’s as good as the material he works with. And when the material doesn’t work he totally lacks the capacity to help it along. And as a superstar director he is offered tons of material so he gets to choose what he likes but can’t elevate it if it needs improvement

by Anonymousreply 15October 16, 2019 11:53 PM

Beetlejuice and Pee Wee and Scissorhands are all colorful and fun but his only high quality film is Ed Wood. He was truly inspired by and passionate about the material and it shows.

by Anonymousreply 16October 16, 2019 11:53 PM

As a film director, Burton is a fantastic art director.

by Anonymousreply 17October 17, 2019 12:18 AM

He was OK early on but seems to have regressed as an artist. Willy Wonka and Alice in Wonderland were just awful. Like something you would watch on those free movie apps.

And he's too fixated on Depp, who I suspect he is sexually enamoured with. He needs a new muse. Though I always thought Depp was overrated as an actor too.

by Anonymousreply 18October 17, 2019 12:30 AM

Agree r10, the Coen Brothers have definitely lost their way.

Big Eyes was pretty good, but Tim Burton always had a touch of whimsical madness to his work that has disappeared. Was looking forward to his version of Alice in Wonderland and it’s a disaster.

Maybe now that he’s gotten away from HBC and Johnny Depp he’ll be able to come back a bit.

by Anonymousreply 19October 17, 2019 12:45 AM

When I want to see a film with whimsical and bizarre elements I watch a Guillermo de Toro film. He's created some truly gorgeous and haunting films.

Burton blows.

by Anonymousreply 20October 17, 2019 2:11 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!