Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Welsh: how come we never talk about them?

They seem like they'd be harmless, decent people. The only one I know of is Anthony Perkins and Tom Jones. Is Bonnie Tyler Welsh, or does she just live there?

by Anonymousreply 211December 26, 2019 3:28 AM

Don't forget me: one of DL's fave, Luke Evans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 4, 2016 4:31 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 4, 2016 4:35 AM

They'll talk your head off if you give them an inch. Generally Pixieheads like all the Celtic nations so they have everything that goes with that.

by Anonymousreply 3June 4, 2016 4:46 AM

OP you mean HOPKINS?

by Anonymousreply 4June 4, 2016 4:52 AM

RACISM!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 4, 2016 4:57 AM

Interesting genetics. So many have dark features (olive skin, black hair - see Catherine Zeta Jones) they could pass for Spaniards.

by Anonymousreply 6June 4, 2016 4:58 AM

Matthew Rhys from The Americans. And Anthony Hopkins. And Vinnie Jones, who you would know if you saw him. Huge muscular bald guy. (Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels, Snatch.)

Looking pretty solid so far as far as the men.

by Anonymousreply 7June 4, 2016 5:08 AM

What about me?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 4, 2016 5:55 AM

And they can sing!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 4, 2016 6:12 AM

alas, MTV cancelled The Valleys. I love their lilting, melodic speech.

by Anonymousreply 10June 4, 2016 10:22 AM

They're not very harmless if you're one of us.

by Anonymousreply 11June 4, 2016 10:29 AM

If you've ever had the misfortune to spend a significant amount of time in Wales, you'd know that they are a horrid people. Inhospitable, surly, stingy, lacking in hygiene, and mean.

by Anonymousreply 12June 4, 2016 10:45 AM

Christian Bale, my very favorite Welshman, and among the best actors of today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 4, 2016 11:49 AM

Actually Christian Bale identifies as English. He was born in Wales to English parents. Just google it for confirmation. Also Tom Jones was born in Wales, and no doubt considers himself Welsh, but most of his grandparents were from southwest England!

by Anonymousreply 14June 4, 2016 1:12 PM

The men are kind of hot. My dad never liked them. They ran the coal mines in PA where my grandfather worked and according to my dad treated their employees (Irish) like shit. What does pixieheaded mean?

by Anonymousreply 15June 4, 2016 1:20 PM

Ugliest accent this side of Boston. Kudos to Burton, Hopkins and Sheen for (mostly) abandoning it

by Anonymousreply 16June 4, 2016 1:41 PM

The Irish are soooo annoying though. They and their victim complex.

by Anonymousreply 17June 4, 2016 1:44 PM

Timothy Dalton was born in Colwyn Bay

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 4, 2016 1:51 PM

Bette Davis was of Welsh ancestry. According to British friends of mine, she looked very, very Welsh.

by Anonymousreply 19June 4, 2016 1:57 PM

Richard Burton

by Anonymousreply 20June 4, 2016 2:07 PM

I love their grape jelly with Skippy Cream Peanut Butter.

by Anonymousreply 21June 4, 2016 2:08 PM

Guitarist Dave Edmunds, solo act and with the group Rockpile. Talented and super cute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 4, 2016 4:07 PM

I forget they exist

by Anonymousreply 23June 4, 2016 4:12 PM

Pixiehead?

by Anonymousreply 24June 4, 2016 4:14 PM

Ray Milland was Welsh.

Also Ioan Gruffydd and the one who plays the evil fuck who brainwashes Theon in GoT. Also Helen McCrory from Peaky Blinders and Penny Dreadful (where she acts with fellow Welsh person Dalton). Also John Cale of the Velvet Underground.

The genes are Celtic, resulting in very dark hair, pale skin and sometimes blue eyes.

Whoever said Burton and Hopkins abandoned their accents has never heard a Welsh accent. Burton especially has an uber South Wales accent and it's for that reason that he played First Voice in the famous version of Under Milk Wood.

by Anonymousreply 25June 4, 2016 4:42 PM

Gavin Henson. One of the reasons I love rugby!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 4, 2016 4:46 PM

R14 Jones has English lineage but he is Welsh. His accent and his whole joie de vivre is so Welsh. Bale on the other hand is English.

Tim Dalton was born in Wales but was raised in England. His father is English and his mom was American(Of Italian and Irish descent).

by Anonymousreply 27June 4, 2016 4:49 PM

Ioan Gruffudd is indeed Welsh, R25, but it's Iwan Rheon who plays Ramsey in Game Of Thrones. Ioan Gruffydd isn't doing very much these days sadly. Last seen playing Kylie Ann Minogue's brother in San Andreas.

And Kylie's mother was Welsh, and moved to Australia as a little girl, just like Julia Gillard.

It's a running joke in Wales that Christian Bale is constantly referred to as "Welsh born actor Christian Bale" as if where his mother gave birth somehow defines him.

by Anonymousreply 28June 4, 2016 4:53 PM

R12 You are a Taffy and you admit that? I wonder how you feel about The Irish Catholics, The Ulster Scots, The English and The Scottish? A Taffy is a better Britton than almost any other in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 29June 4, 2016 4:55 PM

It looks depressing as shit weather wise but so does the entire UK.

by Anonymousreply 30June 4, 2016 4:58 PM

No Welsh person would ever call themselves a "Taffy" in the same way that no Irish person would call themselves a "Paddy" or a Scot call themselves a "Jock".

by Anonymousreply 31June 4, 2016 5:00 PM

From four years ago so they are all over 18 now. Just say no to pedophilia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32June 4, 2016 5:18 PM

R31 Except that each of those nationalities DO have male individuals that identify as such. Sorry, but, it's a fact. I know a Welsh man whose nickname is "Taff". And I know Irish men called "Paddy". There certainly Scottish men who answer to the name "Jock".

by Anonymousreply 33June 4, 2016 7:56 PM

*are....

by Anonymousreply 34June 4, 2016 7:57 PM

Welsh and Irish seem very close in ethnicity. Except the Irish in my experience are lovely, fun people. I am not so sure about the Welsh. My one friend who is Welsh is a fun guy but he has a mean streak and hold a grudge like no other. They seem a bit more dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 35June 4, 2016 8:32 PM

There's no worse accent anywhere in the English-speaking world than that of uneducated Welsh females.

by Anonymousreply 36June 4, 2016 8:32 PM

R36 I take it you haven't experienced the Liverpudlian accent.

by Anonymousreply 37June 4, 2016 8:53 PM

I was in Cardiff for a few days & went to some of their gay bars. It was pretty bleak. Irish and Scottish guys are much better looking, in general (not just in the bars - walking around anywhere). They worshiped Americans, though, to my surprise. They wanted me to keep talking bc they liked my accent so much "in person" (they get it on tv). They all were perplexed that I was in Cardiff, and a few (jokingly) asked me to marry them so they could move to the USA. They had a ton of questions about America & really glorified it. I thought Cardiff was really nice, though.

The one guy I hooked up with was very short...kinda cute...small penis. He was more friendly that the average guy here, though. The other one was a complete freak / weirdo / closet case (early 20s) who was the only uncut guy I ever knew to literally have (the constantly discussed on DL) cock cheese. I was like, wtf is happening there...and he was like, nothing, it's fine. Uh - no it's not fine. So, that didn't go well.

Oh I forgot this fucked up story until just now... In my hotel, there was an employee who apparently saw me on grindr. And, I was getting into the elevator and he literally put his hand in the elevator and goes "you're the American Visitor", right? And I was like...what do you mean. And he's like "what's your room number." And I was still confused because I didn't really know what he meant. So, I told him my room number & he said "ok i'll come up later" and then it clicked... and I was like oh shit - my grindr profile says I am visiting from the usa. So, I just said "no, I'm packing to leave..." and really I had no interest / energy for sex. He kept insisting he was gonna come up though...and when I finally said - "no" in a direct way, he got really pissed off. He wasn't welsh though, but that just seems like a classic DL story (except I did not have sex w him).

So, my Cardiff trip was pretty bad except for seeing where they filmed Doctor Who...and Cardiff castle is interesting.

by Anonymousreply 38June 4, 2016 8:53 PM

[quote]lacking in hygiene

Is this a UK thing?

by Anonymousreply 39June 4, 2016 8:55 PM

Netflix carries a Welsh detective series called Hinterland. It's not bad, brooding people and dreary/bleak scenery but I enjoyed watching it.

by Anonymousreply 40June 4, 2016 10:00 PM

Wales is the cleanest country I've been to. Even cleaner than Switzerland.

However the Welsh are a grumpy, scowling people, depressing to be around. Humorless.

by Anonymousreply 41June 4, 2016 10:07 PM

I love Matthew Rhys' accent. That is some serious lilting. He's also hilarious and seems like a lot of fun. Also, just to clarify R16 's post, that is Michael Sheen who is also Welsh. I adore him, too.

by Anonymousreply 42June 4, 2016 10:29 PM

I put Wales on the map, bitches!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43June 4, 2016 10:55 PM

Sometimes when I watch UK series they'll make a passing reference to "Welsh tarts" or whatnot.

Are they supposed to be wild/slutty?

Last one I noticed was UK Skins, Abbey the psych teacher who was fucking her student, Chris. (I only watched it recently.)

by Anonymousreply 44June 4, 2016 11:06 PM

"...who was the only uncut guy I ever knew to literally have (the constantly discussed on DL) cock cheese. "

This was your chance to make your mouth useful in any way...

by Anonymousreply 45June 4, 2016 11:17 PM

Historically, they mine coal, sing, and drink. In this country, they seem to lack much of an identity. My Welsh grandfather (dead before my time) was a randy old guy chasing my grandmother around the dining table in his 70s, but he also was gruff and abusive. A teetotaling Baptist whose sons became athieists and married Catholics.

by Anonymousreply 46June 4, 2016 11:32 PM

They had a terrifying male rapist gay storyline in Pobol y Cym, Britain's longest running soap.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47June 5, 2016 12:02 AM

What's a Pixiehead? Can someone explain, I'm desperate to know!

by Anonymousreply 48June 5, 2016 12:03 AM

It's actually Iolo's hot brother Macs who gets raped.

by Anonymousreply 49June 5, 2016 12:08 AM

Helgwn gwain enfawr. Cefnogwyr Cameron Fawr.

by Anonymousreply 50June 5, 2016 12:15 AM

Anthony Burgess (who wrote Clock Orange) wrote in his autobiography that everyone in the UK was prudish when it comes to sex - except the Welsh, who are quite a randy lot. And they love to sing. And Tom Jones had a huge dick. And Richard Burton said actors were all alcoholics and fuck-ups because they were all gay but couldn't come to terms with it (said in the 1960's). Then there's faux opera singer Katherine Jenkins. She almost won DWTS. There's a handsome closeted Welsh "presenter" as they call them named Gethin Jones, who Katherine bearded for for a while.

by Anonymousreply 51June 5, 2016 12:22 AM

*Clockwork Orange

by Anonymousreply 52June 5, 2016 12:23 AM

And there's crazy Rachel Roberts who killed herself when Rex Harrison dumped her.

by Anonymousreply 53June 5, 2016 12:25 AM

Bonnie Tyler is Welsh.

by Anonymousreply 54June 5, 2016 12:26 AM

R47 Coronation Street is Britain's longest running soap. It started in 1960, long before the Welsh-language minority show Pobol y Cwm.

by Anonymousreply 55June 5, 2016 12:32 AM

Best British royals EVAH.

by Anonymousreply 56June 5, 2016 12:48 AM

"Wales, the land of my fathers, my fathers can have it" - Dylan Thomas

by Anonymousreply 57June 5, 2016 12:51 AM

Matthew Rhys speaking Welsh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58June 5, 2016 12:55 AM

R48 Here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59June 5, 2016 1:01 AM

[quote]And Tom Jones had a huge dick.

Apparently . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60June 5, 2016 1:04 AM

The most famous Welsh of all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61June 5, 2016 1:18 AM

Mostly incredibly ugly little midgets the any decent ones being those with Italian ancestry (big immigration for the mining industry)

by Anonymousreply 62June 5, 2016 1:39 AM

Is it true that the dark Irish, and I imagine Welsh too, are descended from the Spanish that washed up ashore when the Spanish Armada crapped out? I had a girlfriend in college who was dark Irish and that was what she said.

by Anonymousreply 63June 5, 2016 1:49 AM

r63 that's the legend I've always heard. Spanish sailors washed up on the shores of Ireland and stayed, interbred with the Irish women, and that's how we got Black Irish. I have no idea if it's true or not.

by Anonymousreply 64June 5, 2016 1:51 AM

Not true. Original Celts were all dark - the Vikings brought the red/blond hair and blue eyes.

by Anonymousreply 65June 5, 2016 1:52 AM

Your basic country stereotypes: rural, farming, uneducated, not that bright, drunks, not quite inbred, but small breeding pool. Can sing, dig coal, and play rugby.

by Anonymousreply 66June 5, 2016 1:52 AM

I read somewhere that genes indicate they were originally from what is the Basque country now ... But from the time of the Celtic migrations ; the armada connection is a myth

by Anonymousreply 67June 5, 2016 1:53 AM

But how about those Basque? They're really interesting.

by Anonymousreply 68June 5, 2016 2:49 AM

Starlet Catherine Zeta-Jones is Welsh

by Anonymousreply 69June 5, 2016 3:02 AM

R43 Dame Shirley Bassey was born in Tiger Bay, Cardiff to a Nigerian father and a white English mother. Although she was indeed born in Wales, she is not of Welsh ethnicity.

Not that it matters.

by Anonymousreply 70June 5, 2016 3:27 AM

Pobol Y Cwm is the BBC's longest running soap.

by Anonymousreply 71June 5, 2016 5:30 AM

The Celts were not all dark. Indeed not dark at all. Exhibit A:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72June 5, 2016 5:33 AM

R72 that stone is not representative of the colouring of those people. It is stone.

by Anonymousreply 73June 5, 2016 8:28 AM

R5. THE TRIP with Rob and Steve Coogan is great for plenty of Welsh jokes, among other things Steve skewers Rob for.

It's a great series if you enjoy sarcasm, the angst of middle-aged men and the humour of the UK in general. Some also noticed a slightly wistful homoromantic tone to it, buried deep inside the sharp melancholy and banality on the surface.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74June 5, 2016 8:31 AM

Rob (and his lovely accent) with Steve at Latitude in 2011:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75June 5, 2016 8:36 AM

The Welsh are boring at best. Welsh culture is a yawn. THAT is why they aren't discussed much.

by Anonymousreply 76June 5, 2016 8:37 AM

R73 the dry phrasing of your comeback is so beautiful that I laughed and cried (both dryly).

by Anonymousreply 77June 5, 2016 8:42 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78June 5, 2016 8:47 AM

I think I might be scarred.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79June 5, 2016 8:52 AM

... really?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80June 5, 2016 8:54 AM

I can't decide which has the more beautiful countryside, Wales or Scotland? Wales has that irish, lush green fields and forests and Scotland has these great lakes (called Lochs, Loch Ness being the most famous one) and, of course the Highlands.

by Anonymousreply 81June 5, 2016 9:05 AM

The best looking men I've seen have Welsh roots.

by Anonymousreply 82June 5, 2016 9:17 AM

The Welsh have that dark look due to the Moors, who invade Spain as well as Wales.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83June 5, 2016 9:19 AM

Don't forget ME!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84June 5, 2016 9:39 AM

Iwan only speaks welsh

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85June 5, 2016 9:41 AM

[quote]Jones has English lineage but he is Welsh. His accent and his whole joie de vivre is so Welsh. Bale on the other hand is English.

Jones was born in Watford, schooled in London and behaves and sounds like it. There is nothing Welsh about him save one Welsh grandparent. Getting into the Welsh football squad is a tad easier than getting a cap for England. Hence quite a few English footballers have played for the country of one of their forebears.

by Anonymousreply 86June 5, 2016 10:03 AM

People do talk a lot of crap about ethnicity etc. Oh yeah the Irish welsh, and Scots are 'Celtic' whatever that means in the 21st Century I have no idea. Also, how the hel do you 'look Welsh'???? they are just white people. Do they have a specific look?? so stupid. I think ome people should actually listen to the shit that comes out of them sometimes haha!

by Anonymousreply 87June 5, 2016 10:11 AM

Yes r71, BBC soap, it's not the longest running in Britain as you claimed.

R81 they're both lovely but for me I think Scotland is the most beautiful place I've ever been. It's not just the lochs and mountains of the highlands it also has the incredibly lush green of the lowlands, fjords on the west coast, palm trees, islands with perfect beaches. Wales, specially the south, is lovely but Scotland has much more.

by Anonymousreply 88June 5, 2016 11:08 AM

R87... you can't tell the difference between someone from Ireland and someone from Sicily? ok..

Welsh features are a little less consistent, but most countries have a type of "look" that applies to a lot of the population. Not all, of course, but a significant percentage.

by Anonymousreply 89June 5, 2016 11:19 AM

R88, palm trees in Scotland?

by Anonymousreply 90June 5, 2016 11:48 AM

Yes r90. On the west coast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91June 5, 2016 11:53 AM

Yeah, Ireland and Scotland have a lot of Palm trees & tropical plants... some parts of England too. It's because the climate doesn't get cold enough to kill them, usually. A few winters ago, when it snowed in Ireland, a lot of them died. I notice them more on the coast than in the cities.

by Anonymousreply 92June 5, 2016 12:09 PM

Can somebody give a brief run-down of exactly what "Celtic" means? Americans tend to think Celtic is another word for Irish, but I know that's not really accurate.

by Anonymousreply 93June 5, 2016 12:17 PM

The palm trees and tropical fauna look ridiculous there, they are not indigenous to those areas.

by Anonymousreply 94June 5, 2016 12:55 PM

When did you go to Scotland to see the palm trees r94? Personally I thought the palm trees lining the beach looked exactly in keeping with how you'd expect palm trees to look.

by Anonymousreply 95June 5, 2016 1:39 PM

Celtic refers to the Welsh, Scottish and Irish language and culture as distinct from the English Anglo-Saxon culture.

by Anonymousreply 96June 5, 2016 1:51 PM

R93 - People of Celtic origin are the Irish, Scottish and Welsh. Cornwall in England (Cornish), Brittany in France (Bretons) and the Isle of Man are also considered to be members of this group.

by Anonymousreply 97June 5, 2016 1:55 PM

R73 and R77 if you don't know a ginger when you see one represented in stone, then you are probably the sort of people who put their hands on a hot stove.

by Anonymousreply 98June 5, 2016 2:01 PM

Memphis TN has palm trees.

by Anonymousreply 99June 5, 2016 2:02 PM

Prince Charles: "The Welsh people wanted it"

Rapist!

by Anonymousreply 100June 5, 2016 2:07 PM

And what precisely has Charles ever done for Wales?

by Anonymousreply 101June 5, 2016 2:08 PM

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned yet the Manic Street Preachers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102June 5, 2016 2:09 PM

R98 how exactly do you tell that a stone statue is representative of a ginger? Go on, this ought to be amusing.

by Anonymousreply 103June 5, 2016 2:13 PM

That stone statue is called "The Dying Celt" and it's rather famous. Prince Harry bears a striking resemblance to it.

by Anonymousreply 104June 5, 2016 2:17 PM

R95 I go there often to see relatives and friends. And no, they look out of place on a beach that is not tropical.

by Anonymousreply 105June 5, 2016 2:17 PM

Still no explanation of how the statue clearly looks like a pale ginger.

by Anonymousreply 106June 5, 2016 2:18 PM

I thought they were joking about that... but now that they said it, I can kind of see how it would be a ginger. I have no idea why.

by Anonymousreply 107June 5, 2016 2:19 PM

Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world... but for Wales?

by Anonymousreply 108June 5, 2016 2:20 PM

r107 same here! If I were to colorize that statue I would make the man a ginger (redhead). Don't ask me why, I can't explain.

by Anonymousreply 109June 5, 2016 2:21 PM

Sure it could R107, it could also be a swarthy Italian.

by Anonymousreply 110June 5, 2016 2:22 PM

R109 the explanation is, the power of suggestion.

by Anonymousreply 111June 5, 2016 2:23 PM

No it's not the power of suggestion. That statue just says "redhead" to me.

by Anonymousreply 112June 5, 2016 2:28 PM

With that pointy noise and rounded jaw / pointy chin, the statue isn't of an Italian. Italian statues had bigger noses, thicker lips, and more square jaws.

by Anonymousreply 113June 5, 2016 2:29 PM

R113 that still doesn't make it a ginger.

by Anonymousreply 114June 5, 2016 2:34 PM

There's just something about the features that says "ginger" to me. Like I said, I can't really explain. Maybe it's some ethnic memory or something, lol!

by Anonymousreply 115June 5, 2016 2:39 PM

R114... did I say that made him a ginger? I said it made him not Italian.

by Anonymousreply 116June 5, 2016 2:40 PM

Go back to sleep R116.

by Anonymousreply 117June 5, 2016 2:41 PM

Danny Bonaduce wants you all to know some Italians are gingers.

by Anonymousreply 118June 5, 2016 2:44 PM

No such thing as a "swarthy" ginger, though. That statue doesn't look like a swarthy Italian. R117, why? Was that explanation too complicated for you?

by Anonymousreply 119June 5, 2016 2:47 PM

No R119, it was too simplistic. Not all Italian status had those types of features.

by Anonymousreply 120June 5, 2016 2:51 PM

It's the hair. The mustache and the hair. You'd have to add mud to dark hair to make it clump like that, and then presumably you'd have mud all over your body.

by Anonymousreply 121June 5, 2016 2:51 PM

Yes, it was simplistic. There are tens of thousands of statues in Italy, but I am just trying to explain why it read less "swarthy Italian" to me. Fuck me, maybe he's from Milan.

by Anonymousreply 122June 5, 2016 2:54 PM

naked statue guy is the new blue / black / gold dress.

by Anonymousreply 123June 5, 2016 3:20 PM

The statue made me think of the guy who played Van Gogh on Doctor who.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124June 5, 2016 3:23 PM

Galatians

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125June 5, 2016 3:49 PM

We never used to talk about the fact that we never talked about them.

by Anonymousreply 126June 5, 2016 4:05 PM

Mary Hopkin singing "Those Were The Days" was amazing.

by Anonymousreply 127June 5, 2016 4:32 PM

Do you think tulips look out of place in a Connecticut yard r105? Not like daffodils in Kentucky? No bamboo grass in California? None of those are indigenous species. Lots of plants are grown thousands of miles from where the originated. The palm trees look just fine.

by Anonymousreply 128June 5, 2016 6:07 PM

I'm sorry, R70, I adore you, I love you, but you don't have the range!

by Anonymousreply 129June 5, 2016 6:23 PM

They are surly, troll-like people with explosive tempers.

by Anonymousreply 130June 5, 2016 6:34 PM

R128, give up. Someone doesn't see things the way you do, get over it.

by Anonymousreply 131June 5, 2016 6:35 PM

Even Groundskeeper Willie never talked about them.

by Anonymousreply 132June 5, 2016 6:45 PM

[quote]Celtic refers to the Welsh, Scottish and Irish language and culture

Cultures and languages, dear.

Six Celtic languages are still spoken in the world today, in north-west Europe. They are divided into two groups, the Goidelic (or Gaelic) and the Brythonic (or British). The three Goidelic languages still spoken are Irish, Scottish, and Manx. Welsh is a British Celtic language. Example: Rydw i'n hoffi Datalounge yn iawn = I like Datalounge a lot

by Anonymousreply 133June 5, 2016 7:32 PM

No one cares.

by Anonymousreply 134June 5, 2016 7:36 PM

Indeed it is, R134 and I couldn't care less. Times change.

by Anonymousreply 135June 5, 2016 7:37 PM

That's a vast overimplification R33. Many Gaelic dialects are mutually unintelligible. More like a couple hundred languages really, and don't forget cant.

by Anonymousreply 136June 5, 2016 7:57 PM

I thought Manx was a dead language.

by Anonymousreply 137June 6, 2016 1:15 AM

Which Gaelic language did you learn, r135?

by Anonymousreply 138June 6, 2016 1:15 AM

Manx is experiencing a revival, as is Cornish.

by Anonymousreply 139June 6, 2016 1:33 AM

Taron Egerton is Welsh.

by Anonymousreply 140June 6, 2016 2:31 AM

They're sortof like the dull cousins of the irish.

by Anonymousreply 141June 6, 2016 2:46 AM

The cadence of the Welsh language is ideal for poetry and lyrics, though. Verse sounds so soothing written in Welsh.

Also, weren't Ioan Gruffudd and Mathew Rhys rumoured for years to be lovers? They shared a home in LA for 10 years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142June 6, 2016 8:15 AM

The Welsh language sounds ugly though, like someone's speaking English backwards.

by Anonymousreply 143June 6, 2016 9:19 AM

Welsh / Cymraeg, R138.

The odd thing about very fervent Welsh speakers, (most of whom treat the Welsh language as a political issue and want a separate nation i.e. to leave the United kingdom,) is that they don't really speak Welsh to each other, they use a bizarre mix of English and Welsh. They can't help themselves lapsing into English every fourth word. Yet they demand government policies to force kids in Welsh schools to learn Welsh. Hypocrites.

by Anonymousreply 144June 6, 2016 10:19 AM

I think the reason for that is that Welsh is an ancient language so doesn't have words for many modern things so more recently invented words become loan words r144.

by Anonymousreply 145June 6, 2016 10:24 AM

Apparently the Welsh spoken in the north is completely different to that in the south and not understood by each other. No way could Wales become independent it isn't even a country its a principality, it would be nothing outside of the UK.

by Anonymousreply 146June 6, 2016 10:31 AM

It's not only that, R144 though that is part of it. All languages develop and create new vocabulary. There is some attempt by these Welsh language guardians to make 'official' versions of new words e.g. (yeah it's an old example) compact disc : cryno ddisg. But you won't hear Welsh speakers use it. They use the English instead of the Welsh.

And it's worse than that. Example of how my ex spoke to his brother (both Welsh) : Alright?- welsh words - yeah, maybe - welsh words - I don't know. I'll phone you tomorrow - welsh words , etc.

Back and forth, like that. Ridiculous. And all Welsh speakers do that.

[quote]Apparently the Welsh spoken in the north is completely different to that in the south and not understood by each other.

Not quite. The North Walians have a distinct accent and some distinct slang phrases e.g. cont = cunt. But the language spoken is the same.

by Anonymousreply 147June 6, 2016 10:48 AM

[quote]No way could Wales become independent it isn't even a country its a principality, it would be nothing outside of the UK.

It's only a principality because the English say so. The political Welsh nationalists say it's a country. It used to have its own royal family and King. But, yes, it could not survive as a country without massive investments from outside. Money from England and from the European Union keeps it afloat. Most of it is rural and very poor. Jobs are mainly retail, tourism , farming and academia.

by Anonymousreply 148June 6, 2016 10:52 AM

That's like Spanglish, commonly spoken in America. Perhaps you should call it Wenglish.

by Anonymousreply 149June 6, 2016 10:54 AM

Code-switching is very common in multilingual societies.

by Anonymousreply 150June 6, 2016 10:58 AM

That's exactly what it is called!

by Anonymousreply 151June 6, 2016 10:59 AM

I typed "celtic people characteristics" in Google Image and this is what I got: Russell Brand. Not sure if diddily or ding-dang doodily...

[quote]The ancient Celts were also a branch of the Indo-Europeans who invaded Europe from 4,000 BCE and Haplogroup R1b is closely associated with the Spaniards as well as the Irish. The Irish and Britons descended from a group of fishermen from the Iberian Peninsula and the ancient Britons and Celts would have looked like the current inhabitants of the Iberian Peninsula until the Anglo-Saxon invasions and Viking raids dramatically changed the genetic makeup of the peoples of the British isles. As a result, the native Irish and Britons acquired strong Nordic traits such as blue eyes and blonde hair from new migrants from Scandinavia but celebrities like Kate Middleton and Russell Brand still represent Indo-European physical characteristics associated with R1b. Moreover, the frequency of Haplogroup E from North Africa is very low in Britain and Ireland (2%) compared to some regions in Spain and Italy (up to 22%) and Berber admixture is highly unlikely in the Irish population and the "Black Irish" people may completely lack Scandinavian admixture, thus preserving their ancestral Spanish heritage well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152June 6, 2016 11:04 AM

Russell Brand is English though. And he's tall. Celts tend to be short. The dark hair and eyes fit.

by Anonymousreply 153June 6, 2016 11:29 AM

Wales isn't a country. It's merely an outer London suburb.

by Anonymousreply 154June 6, 2016 1:25 PM

The whole Celtic thing seems an overly romantisized myth for the most part. How 'Celts' were actually in Britain and Ireland. It's a dead culture. Like the 'Anglo -Saxons' and 'Vikings' but people will always cling to origin myths as it gives them a sense of belonging, and taps into our deep rooted tribal natures.

by Anonymousreply 155June 6, 2016 5:56 PM

Okay shays a pixie head and what's s taffy? Like divines daughter?

by Anonymousreply 156June 6, 2016 5:59 PM

I recently read that the Celts came from middle Europe. It was in the NY Times. Anyone see that?

by Anonymousreply 157June 6, 2016 6:12 PM

I thought Russell Brand was Italian.

by Anonymousreply 158June 6, 2016 6:52 PM

r155 you are an idiot. Those are not "myths" The various migrations and invasions are historical fact, with tons of archaeological evidence.

by Anonymousreply 159June 6, 2016 6:55 PM

No R58 he's English, with a chimney sweep accent.

by Anonymousreply 160June 6, 2016 6:58 PM

It's an English nursery rhyme, R156.

Taffy was a Welshman, Taffy was a thief; Taffy came to my house and stole a leg of beef; I went to Taffy's house and Taffy was in bed; So I picked up the Gerry pot and hit him on the head. Taffy was a Welshman, Taffy was a thief; Taffy came to my house and stole a piece of beef; I went to Taffy's house, Taffy wasn't in; I jumped upon his Sunday hat and poked it with a pin. Taffy was a Welshman, Taffy was a sham; Taffy came to my house and stole a piece of lamb; I went to Taffy's house, Taffy was away, I stuffed his socks with sawdust and filled his shoes with clay. Taffy was a Welshman, Taffy was a cheat, Taffy came to my house, and stole a piece of meat; I went to Taffy's house, Taffy was not there, I hung his coat and trousers to roast before a fire.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161June 6, 2016 7:02 PM

Dafydd, the only gay in the village, was Welsh

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162June 6, 2016 8:39 PM

Shut up Myfanwy!

by Anonymousreply 163June 6, 2016 9:24 PM

Rhys Ifans is cute, as is his brother Lyr. On another subject, the Gaelic spoken in Ireland and Scotland is very similar, only about 100 words are significantly different. Welsh has much less in common with them. Welsh bands include Stereophonics and Catatonia.

by Anonymousreply 164June 6, 2016 9:51 PM

I always figured indie-pop waif Meinir Gwilym (may-NEAR gwill-IM) for Lezzie. She's never hinted, it's just a hunch.

Cerys Matthews doesn't really come across entirely straight, either.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165June 6, 2016 10:06 PM

[quote]Cerys Matthews doesn't really come across entirely straight, either.

It's that jawline. Easy to picture her in a hillbilly cap driving a truck up an ice road. But she's straight. I used to see her in a bar. Always surrounded by men. Always drunk and coked up. Also saw Rhys Ifans in a Japanese restaurant once with some tart. They sat there giggling and hunched over something and then took turns running to the lav. Subtle.

by Anonymousreply 166June 7, 2016 10:17 AM

One more Rhys Ifans story (second hand). Friends of mine were at university with him. I think that was Bangor (N Wales). He was drunk most of the time and ran up a big over draught on booze. He tried to persuade his bank manager that Oddbins (off license) sold books.

by Anonymousreply 167June 7, 2016 10:20 AM

HUGE PENISES!!!!

by Anonymousreply 168November 28, 2016 12:12 AM

168 replies and no mention of Charlotte Church? Here she is singing Men of Harlech.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169November 28, 2016 12:27 AM

A lot of them are oddly dark...what's up with that?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170November 28, 2016 1:05 AM

More John Cale

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171November 28, 2016 2:39 AM

More evidence that the Vikings were in Scotland and Ireland. My Scottish grandmother would use ingressive pulmonic speech, inhaling while saying 'yes' or 'yeah.'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172November 28, 2016 2:45 AM

Coal dust, R170.

by Anonymousreply 173November 28, 2016 3:05 AM

R157) Celts had been in central Europe, and as their population grew they tended to move west. Then the Germanic migrations out of the Caucasus and the stepps, pushed the Celts further west into France and migrating across the Channel and the Irish Sea. In the first decade of the 4th Century BCE, one branch of Celts in France migrated into northern Italy, ultimately beating the Romans at the Battle of Alliain 390 BCE and occupying the city of Rome itself for several months in 387 BCE, until they were ultimately pushed out by the Romans. Most of the Celts in France were ultimately overrun by the first western wave of Germanic tribes, leaving only Brittany and south into northern Spain as areas mainly populated by Celts for the next several centuries. The British Isles remained mainly Celtic, even after the Roman Invasions in the first century CE, until the Norse invasions that started in the late 4th and early 5th Century CE.

by Anonymousreply 174November 28, 2016 3:30 AM

In this Welsh serial Scott hurts Iolo and then rapes his brother.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175November 28, 2016 4:03 AM

What do people think of the theory that the dark, swarthy look in Ireland and Wales comes not from the Celts, but the people who were there before them? I see that one thrown around a lot these days...

by Anonymousreply 176November 28, 2016 4:39 AM

I believe recent DNA studies link the Welsh with the Basques.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177November 28, 2016 5:23 AM

Lovely Tom Cullen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178November 28, 2016 5:29 AM

They smell. They're not fond of bathing. Or deodorant. Or dental hygiene.

by Anonymousreply 179November 28, 2016 9:22 AM

For what it's worth after living in England for years I lived in Wales for a year and found Welsh people emotionally available in a way few English were. I put it down to, in part, the lack of the hammering class system of particularly SE England. The Welsh had there own character and I loved their curiosity and cheek. An example- once I was jogging with my boyfriend and we had to run past 3 youths who were drinking by the path. The girl of the party decides to run with us but after a few steps realises it's not going to happen. She says "you're too fit for me" and as we ran off yelled "you've both got lovely legs"!

by Anonymousreply 180November 28, 2016 11:37 AM

Craziness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181November 28, 2016 11:55 AM

Wow bar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182November 28, 2016 12:05 PM

Swansea Pride

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183November 28, 2016 12:12 PM

Perhaps DL should adopt a nearly dead language that we could fall into when Boris and Natasha are especially active. Welsh (both northern and southern), Manx, and Cornish are available.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184November 28, 2016 4:32 PM

R102, that's because absolutely nothing about them is noteworthy, except maybe their laughable transformation into corny Welsh nationalists once pretty boy was out of the picture.

by Anonymousreply 185November 28, 2016 6:10 PM

'Tis the season for this unnatural act...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186November 28, 2016 6:15 PM

They're really good at singing. And Tom Jones was hot when he was young. Richard Burton too.

by Anonymousreply 187November 28, 2016 10:51 PM

They have beautiful choirs. Our high school choir competed at the Eisteddfod in Llangollen two years in a row.

by Anonymousreply 188November 28, 2016 10:56 PM

There's no way 'Wyt T'in Gem?' is about anything other than a cunning lesbian seducing a straight girl who is in a confused state bc her bf is messing her about.

Meinir used to present a Countryfile knockoff of sorts on Welsh channel S4C. She comes over boisterous & outdoorsy even if she isn't gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189December 2, 2016 10:49 PM

Sorry, forgot lyrics. Here:

Ti'n haeddu gwell - paid a chrio//Ti mor ddiniwed a dwi yma i wrando//Gei di wely yma heno//A wedyn gawn i weld os wyt ti'n gem...//Wyt ti'n gem? Wyt ti'n gem? Storis cas amdana fo a genod -Dydyn nhw ddim yn wir dim ots be ti 'di glywad!//Mond chdi a fi a ddawn 'na neb i wybod//Gofyn oni cariad - Wyt ti'n gem?

[TRANSLATION: You deserve better - don't cry//You're so innocent, and I'm here to listen//You can sleep here tonight//Then we shall see if you are game...Are you game? Are you game? Nasty rumours about him and girls -They're not true, despite whatever you've heard! Just you and me, and no one will know..I was only asking, baby, are you game?]

by Anonymousreply 190December 2, 2016 10:53 PM

2017 bump

by Anonymousreply 191May 22, 2017 1:15 AM

I have a good friend who is Welsh on his Mom's side. He is Spanish on his Dad's side. He is really funny and can really sing, however he can hold a grudge like an Albanian. He is a tad unsophisticated and can be really surly as well.

by Anonymousreply 192May 22, 2017 1:21 AM

yuuuuuuuuuuuum

by Anonymousreply 193October 29, 2017 10:30 PM

[quote]Do you think tulips look out of place in a Connecticut yard

Only when they've been replaced with WAX ones!

by Anonymousreply 194October 30, 2017 12:05 AM

Fascinating thread. Fank you Myfanwys! Was always curuous about the Welsh and was thinking of visiting.

Sorry for not tagging rhe original posts but here are a few things to say/ask

The palm trees in Scotland are due to a warm Atlantic current that hits it

Weren't asterix and obelix Celtic

Is Celtic readable phonetically? I know how Myfanwy is pronounced since I'm a Little Britain fan. But is C like and S or a K? How are LL, Y and W pronounced?

No clear picture if the Welsh are hung or not. Please elucidate. It might help me decide about visiting. The cockcheese post indicates uncut which is oh oh yes yes fine by me. But not the cockcheese tho.

They seem generally ok about outsiders, yeah?

What about the Picts then? Were they Celtic?

Did the Vikings bring a nordification of Celtic? Is there a diff between Scottish and Welsh Celtic

I imagine celts lived in central and got pushed out to the N, W, SW edges by the angles and saxons?

Yeah if Wales wants to go it alone, I'm for it. I'm into little bitty countries and distrust mismanagement by big bullies

Pixieheads was never explained. Please will someone without posting a link? TIA The taffy explanation was great!

S'all.

by Anonymousreply 195October 30, 2017 3:47 AM

Wales in the news: octopuses found walking on beach!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196October 30, 2017 2:05 PM

R72 "The Dying Gaul"

The original may have been commissioned some time between 230 and 220 BC by Attalus I of Pergamon to celebrate his victory over the Galatians, the Celtic or Gaulish people of parts of Anatolia (modern Turkey).

The figure is represented as a Celtic warrior with characteristic hairstyle and moustache and has a torc around his neck

The Roman historian Livy recorded that the Celts of Asia Minor fought naked and their wounds were plain to see on the whiteness of their bodies.[7] The Greek historian Dionysius of Halicarnassus regarded this as a foolish tactic: "Our enemies fight naked. What injury could their long hair, their fierce looks, their clashing arms do us? These are mere symbols of barbarian boastfulness."[8] Detail showing the face, hair style and torc of the sculpture.

The depiction of this particular Galatian as naked may also have been intended to lend him the dignity of heroic nudity or pathetic nudity. It was not infrequent for Greek warriors to be likewise depicted as heroic nudes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197October 30, 2017 11:37 PM

sex-ooooooooooooo

by Anonymousreply 198May 28, 2018 2:15 AM

Gethin Jones is so incredibly hot, and I suspect gay. 40 and no wife yet.

by Anonymousreply 199May 28, 2018 2:28 AM

What's pixieheads R3?

by Anonymousreply 200May 28, 2018 3:19 AM

[quote] Yeah, Ireland and Scotland have a lot of Palm trees & tropical plants... some parts of England too. It's because the climate doesn't get cold enough to kill them, usually.

I remember reading it was because a warm ocean current lands there making it possible for the palm trees.

by Anonymousreply 201May 28, 2018 3:37 AM

Knew before I clicked on this it would be full of that uniquely American take on race and eugenics that Americans are obsessed with and seem to have no problem dropping into polite conversation.

[quote]Interesting genetics. So many have dark features (olive skin, black hair - see Catherine Zeta Jones) they could pass for Spaniards.

[quote]The genes are Celtic, resulting in very dark hair, pale skin and sometimes blue eyes.

[quote]Welsh and Irish seem very close in ethnicity.

I presume these posters keep a set of head callipers on their desk.

People of the British Isles are genetically indistinguishable from each other, I know that these obscene 'DNA Heritage' companies want to convince you otherwise so you can pretend to be something other than 'English', as Americans seem to have a comical, pathological hated of 'Englishness'.

I hate, HATE hearing Americans use words like England/English, Scotland Wales ect. Just say British/UK, an American has no business using those words and it belies their inner bigotry.

by Anonymousreply 202May 28, 2018 3:56 AM

Intermarriage/mixture with Romans and other Mediterranean people might explain partly why some of the Welsh have darker features. Much of Britain was a Roman province for about 350 years (approx 50 AD-410 AD). Since the Romans sort of abandoned involvement with Britain in the 5th century, the native British (not English, that came later) people who by then were at least nominally Christian and had a thin veneer of Roman culture and city life, began to encourage Germanic mercenaries to help defend them from the Picts in Caledonia (later Scotland) and their raiding. The Germanic people responded then began to stay, many being from Saxony, Friesland and Jutland. Their related Germanic dialects evolved on the island of Britain as English. The Germanic people gradually pushed the native British into the more mountainous areas of western Britain which is the country known as Wales today, a name derived from the Germanic proto-English word for foreign. Some of the British braved the channel crossing to what became Brittany in Gaul (France)--Breton and Welsh are closely related languages. Now a question, if the Welsh in the 5th century were already supposedly Christian, as opposed to the invading Germanic people who later contributed to the English ethnicity who were pagan, who was Saint David? He is the patron saint of Wales, but in his day the Welsh were already Christian or no?? If so, he wasn't necessarily an apostle as St. Augustine was to the English was he?

To answer OP's question, I would say part of the reason is that Wales is smaller in area and population and tends to be overshadowed by England. The Welsh have done a better job of keeping their language alive than the Irish or those Scots who speak Gaelic but it has still eroded in favor of English, but now I think there is more broadcasting in Welsh on UK television networks. I'm not sure about publishing in Welsh.

No one has mentioned Dawn French, the actress and comedienne who is also Welsh. Tom Jones, when he had his American TV show used to sign off in Welsh, giving everyone the impression he knew the language, but supposedly he knows relatively little Welsh. Prince Charles, who had to study the language about the time he became Prince of Wales, probably knows more of the language than Tom Jones. I have no idea if Richard Burton knew any Welsh.

by Anonymousreply 203May 28, 2018 4:37 AM

Fascinating thread. I learned so much about Wales and the six Celtic nations.

Thanks to all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204May 28, 2018 5:07 AM

The one and only, Diana, Princess of Wales

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205May 28, 2018 5:10 AM

It's always funny that Americans who are notoriously ignorant of world geography are suddenly experts when it comes to the British Isles and have now problem splitting the UK up into it's constituent parts, all because the are so desperate to exclude England from what ever it is they're talking about.

It's so fucking transparent and so fucking hateful, grow up. An American has no business using England/Scotland/Welsh use UK/Britain the name of the actual country or fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 206May 28, 2018 5:19 AM

r202, the abbreviation for the Latin word "etcetera" or "and so on" in English is etc. not ect.

by Anonymousreply 207May 28, 2018 5:34 AM

Cheers R102. I loved the Manics in their 90s prime. Richey and Wire were such campy beauties.

by Anonymousreply 208May 28, 2018 5:42 AM

r206, what the hell are you talking about?

by Anonymousreply 209May 28, 2018 5:49 AM

Dan Biggar, adorable Welsh rugby player

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210December 26, 2019 3:05 AM

Bump bitch at R210

by Anonymousreply 211December 26, 2019 3:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!