Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

So what was Anthony Perkins like?

I'm a huge fan of the Psycho series but i read how he was a cunt to Jennifer Tilly in part 2 and tried to get her fired. I also read he tried to get one of the chicks from part 3 fired too. Were these isolated incidents or was he the Sean Young of the queer world?

by Anonymousreply 147April 7, 2020 8:26 PM

He was very smart--liked to hang out with Stephen Sondheim and talk about word games and puzzles with him. And he hung out with jet set types.He was very fucked up about being closeted to fans but open to his friends--it was a weird double life.

by Anonymousreply 1May 20, 2016 5:07 AM

Where did you read that OP? (BTW it was Meg Tilly in Psycho 2. I always liked her in that. I think she had an interesting quality.) Who was the woman he wanted fired in #3?

Was it Diana Scarwid?

by Anonymousreply 2May 20, 2016 5:10 AM

OP here R2. Just stuff I read on IMDB and Wikipedia. The girl from pt 3 was the red hed who hooked up with Jeff Fahey and he threw her out of the hotel.

by Anonymousreply 3May 20, 2016 5:20 AM

Does anyone have any idea what movie this gif is from.....and who the other actor is? It has to be a foreign film as I can't imagine a U.S. studio of the era allowing such a homoerotic moment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 31, 2016 1:39 AM

Gay or just European?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 31, 2016 1:48 AM

From what I gather his performance as Norman Bates was not acting but behaving.

by Anonymousreply 6May 31, 2016 1:53 AM

R4 the movie is Phaedra, and they are playing father and son.

by Anonymousreply 7May 31, 2016 2:13 AM

Thanks R7.

by Anonymousreply 8May 31, 2016 4:38 AM

He loved wearing that yellow hanky in his pocket to advertise.

by Anonymousreply 9May 31, 2016 6:10 AM

The "official" story on trying to get Tilly fired is that she supposedly had no knowledge of "Psycho" or it's history or who Anthony Perkins was and made some comments questioning why he was getting so much press attention and special treatment on the set. He found out about the comments, got pissed and said she should be replaced but they had already shot too much footage to easily recast the part. I find that a little hard to swallow - even if she didn't know about "Psycho" before getting the role surely she would have been told what a big deal it was once she was cast.

I think Perkins had a love-hate relationship with Norman Bates and probably had reservations about reviving the role. Tilly probably said something but Perkins probably took it to the extreme. Perkins could be pretty bitchy and hard to get along with and if he was already on edge about the project he probably wanted to work with someone who at least appreciated his position.

by Anonymousreply 10May 31, 2016 8:28 AM

In 1960, Perkins had an affair with an actor-dancer who wishes to remain anonymous with whom he indulged in some most peculiar behavior. Of one incident his partner said:'We were doing things that he liked, not the normal gay sex. Anything sloppy and messy was fine. Tony became like an animal. There was some S&M, we had sex in leather. He wore jeans. He liked inventiveness.'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 21, 2016 12:34 PM

He never sucked my dick.

by Anonymousreply 12June 21, 2016 12:44 PM

Co-star, Ava Gardner (they played both in 'On the Beach' and in 'The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean') had made a play for Perkins before, but he was terrified by her and kept his distance. She later recalled:'Tony Perkins was shy about everything but attacking his plate.'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 21, 2016 12:45 PM

Ask Tab Hunter-

Tab and Tony dated for a few years in the 1950's. They would double date with beards and then go home together, where Perkins, a rising stage actor making a mark in Hollywood, lived around the corner from Hunter, the more established matinee idol, recording star and all around all American dreamboat. They were both part of Henry Wilson's stable of management clients, which included Rock Hudson, Rory Calhoun, and Guy Madison - all closeted hunks, Wilson's specialty. We've discussed all of this aplenty in DL.

In any case, Perkins was talented, intense, and ambitious. Hunter was a laid back natural athlete with an engaging smile, and a knack for not taking himself too seriously. At some point in their relationship while still under contract with Warner Bros, Tab did the play Fear Strikes Out - one of the many times he played a pro athlete which was always perfect type casting for him - and got decent reviews. He asked Jack Warner to option the play for a movie starring himself. A few days/months later, while playing ping pong with Tony, the latter casually mentions "Oh BTW, I told 20th Century Fox I was interested in doing 'Fear Strikes Out' and they bought it for me." Tab was a little taken aback but did not make a big stink because Tony was very talented and needed hit movies. Still, it put a strain in their relationship.

If Tony was capable of calmly doing that TO HIS BOYFRIEND, I wouldn't put it past him to get random starlets fired for smaller reasons. For him, as for most in Hollywood, career came first, before anything or anyone.

It's all in Tab Hunter Confidential, a cheekily presented but surprisingly entertaining bio- documentary narrated by Tab himself and produced by Allan Leach, Tab's current boyfriend and producer for over thirty years (Lust In the Dust). On Netflix now.

by Anonymousreply 14June 21, 2016 1:01 PM

I forgot to mention Tab had told Tony about his wish to do the movie. So Tony was very aware of what he was doing when he asked his studio to do it.

by Anonymousreply 15June 21, 2016 1:04 PM

In other words, Tony acted like a true cunt, R15.

by Anonymousreply 16June 21, 2016 1:07 PM

Tab actually was in a TV drama of Fear Strikes Out, not a play.

It was not unusual back in the 1950s for good TV dramas to become hit films. Marty and A Catered Affair both started out on TV.

by Anonymousreply 17June 21, 2016 1:12 PM

Especially since I think Tab really loved him.

by Anonymousreply 18June 21, 2016 1:13 PM

If you've ever seen those marvelous home movies of Roddy McDowell's from his Malibu beach house in the early 1960s, just watch his camera's interaction with Tony Perkins. Of all the major celebrities who were there, Tony is the only one who HATES to be filmed. Very insightful.

by Anonymousreply 19June 21, 2016 1:14 PM

[quote]I forgot to mention Tab had told Tony about his wish to do the movie. So Tony was very aware of what he was doing when he asked his studio to do it.

At least he didn't steal the script off Tab's coffee table.

by Anonymousreply 20June 21, 2016 1:23 PM

Were Tony Perkins & Tuesday Weld friends? They did a couple of movies together & seemed a lot alike.

by Anonymousreply 21June 21, 2016 2:05 PM

R21, 'Dear friends in life, Perkins and Weld were simply able to tune in to each other's frequencies.'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 21, 2016 7:40 PM

I saw an interview with the red head in Psycho III and she had nothing but glowing things to say about Perkins. Same with Diana Scarwid and all the other women in the cast. The Meg Tilly feud is well documented, though. Everyone involved in Psycho II has mentioned it.

Seems like Tony was a bit wild. I bet he was into fisting. But was he a top or bottom?

by Anonymousreply 23June 21, 2016 8:34 PM

The " actor-dancer who wishes to remain anonymous" in R11 is Grover Dale.

by Anonymousreply 24June 21, 2016 8:39 PM

R23 From what I've read over the years he seemed to be versatile, but preferred bottoming.

When Tony was promoting Psycho II he alluded that he played Norman Bates so well because his own mother molested him and they had an awful relationship. His friends were startled to see him say that because they know Tony actually had a very good relationship with his mother (who interestingly enough was either bisexual or a lesbian) and she was very much accepting of Tony for who he was. He threw his own mother in the gutter to promote a movie.

Still, I think he was a very beautiful man, as fucked up in the head as he was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 21, 2016 8:47 PM

I got him hard and made him cum!

by Anonymousreply 26June 21, 2016 8:47 PM

It is hinted in the Tab Hunter documentary that he was abusive to Tony.

by Anonymousreply 27June 21, 2016 8:57 PM

[quote]It is hinted in the Tab Hunter documentary that he was abusive to Tony.

Did you interpret that from what that actress said about how Tony would come to her and cry on her shoulder every time he thought Tab had slighted him?

Because I would seriously doubt that a documentary narrated by Hunter and produced by his life partner would actually even hint at his being abusive. And, as we've already seen in this thread, Tony was not beneath deception - at many levels.

I don't doubt that Tab, with all the people he had throwing themselves at him, would succumb to infidelity. But abuse? Also, I think all his relationships have been open.

by Anonymousreply 28June 21, 2016 9:28 PM

Yeah, I didn't get that from the Tab documentary at all. Quite the contrary, as a matter of fact.

by Anonymousreply 29June 21, 2016 10:28 PM

Can someone please start a thread about those Roddy McDowell home movies?

by Anonymousreply 30June 24, 2016 2:39 AM

Cowardly self-loathing geek. Next.

by Anonymousreply 31June 24, 2016 2:42 AM

I saw him on an old Dick Cavett and just when he was getting started on gossiping about Hitchcock, the tinkly music began and Cavett said sadly the show was over.

People like him knew "where all the bodies were buried" in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 32June 24, 2016 3:53 AM

People like who, r32?

Dick, Tony or Roddy (which makes sense. though I don't think you meant Roddy).

by Anonymousreply 33June 24, 2016 10:45 AM

I don't remember where I read it, but a former lover said that Tony could get scary in bed because he liked the sight of blood. That stuck with me because that just made him creepy in my mind.

by Anonymousreply 34June 24, 2016 11:16 AM

[Quote] He never sucked my dick. —Joel Grey

Well, I most certainly did. Then you sat on mine afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 35June 24, 2016 11:17 AM

R14 Robert Calhoun, NOT Rory.

by Anonymousreply 36June 24, 2016 11:18 AM

Tony Perkins was never part of Henry Willson's stable. He came from a prominent NY theatrical family (his father was actor/director Osgood Perkins) and starred in Look Homeward, Angel on Broadway in 1958.

by Anonymousreply 37June 24, 2016 10:16 PM

I think it was in one of Andy Warhol's diaries that it was mentioned about Tony being at some sort of small get together with his wife and he became enlusted with one of the men there. When the ladies were in the kitchen preparing coffee and snacks, Tony stared at the guy and made his intentions crystal clear. The rest of the room was shocked at how blatant he was in his proposition.

More about Tony at the link:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 24, 2016 11:29 PM

His acting style could best be described as peevish. He would have fit in better during the heyday of indie films. Hollywood must have seen the sensitive elements and thought he could be James Dean but less menacing. He mostly seems miscast in a lot of his early roles.

by Anonymousreply 39June 24, 2016 11:34 PM

He was effective in the independent Alan Rudolph film Remember My Name (1978) as the ex-husband of ex-con Geraldine Chaplin. It also features his real life wife Berry Berenson as his screen wife. She is as stick-thin as he is and looks boyish. However it may be a bit much to imagine Perkins as a construction worker.

by Anonymousreply 40June 24, 2016 11:43 PM

The Psycho Legacy gave some interesting insights into him. It seemed as though he was a bit of a Jekyll/Hyde type. He either got along incredibly well with people or very contentiously. Lee Garlington told a story that on the set of Psycho III (which he directed, and actually did a great job at that), the crew had a respect for him that was impressive and very rare. However, Mick Garris (who directed the fourth Psycho) said he was the most difficult actor he ever worked with and would constantly pick fights over everything,

The interpretation I got was that Perkins had some power issues. If he was in power (either at work or in relationships with other people), he was kind and benevolent. But if he wasn't, he would be very nasty and cruel. So it makes sense that he'd be into BDSM as some sort of psychosexual extension of that.

He seemed like a truly complicated man, though, who was very difficult to figure out.

by Anonymousreply 41June 25, 2016 12:00 AM

Forgot to clarify, The Psycho Legacy is a documentary about the series that came out around 2010. It's worth a watch if you can track it down.

by Anonymousreply 42June 25, 2016 12:01 AM

I actually really like Psycho IV.

Henry Thomas in his tighty-whities helped pre-gay me figure some things out.

by Anonymousreply 43June 25, 2016 1:00 AM

I co-sign on both counts, R43

by Anonymousreply 44June 26, 2016 8:59 PM

Did Perkins ever fuck Rock Hudson?

by Anonymousreply 45June 26, 2016 9:16 PM

After Tab Hunter starred in the film "Damn Yankees." Tony played the same role in summer stock. But, Tony was by far the better actor. Tab is probably the better person

by Anonymousreply 46June 26, 2016 9:36 PM

I read a bio years ago by Richard Pryors ex Jennifer Lee. It was quite dishy. She described how she was staying with him and his wife Berry Berinson in NY. She was alone in the apartment with him when he made a big point of taking a shower with door open and was making obvious display of his body which she described as fit.She said it was very weird and uncomfortable and he was enjoying it. Which she found very odd. I think he was a strange neurotic guy.

by Anonymousreply 47June 26, 2016 10:14 PM

Has Marisa Berensen ever talked about him? She'd likely know the background of her sister's marriage to a gay man.

by Anonymousreply 48June 26, 2016 10:14 PM

r14, "Fear Strikes Out" was a Paramount film, not 20th Century Fox.

by Anonymousreply 49June 27, 2016 1:29 AM

Tab Hunter did Fear Strikes Out as a live TV show, and got raves for it. But he never did it on stage.

by Anonymousreply 50June 28, 2016 4:37 AM

Mom tried to get him in bed, but he wanted dad!

by Anonymousreply 51June 28, 2016 5:11 AM

Tab is selling the DVD of the documentary based on his memoir on his own website.

by Anonymousreply 52June 28, 2016 5:58 AM

He had AIDS and was determined if he had to die, he'd take as many "straights" as possible.

by Anonymousreply 53June 28, 2016 10:22 AM

R47, Tony was neurotic, but he was also kinky.

by Anonymousreply 54June 28, 2016 10:24 AM

Let's bump this shit!

by Anonymousreply 55September 11, 2018 9:52 AM

What about his fetish of being tied up and raped by ' burglars' - he would hire hustlers to live out that fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 56September 11, 2018 10:06 AM

Tony was a well known piss bottom in LA. He would got to gay events wearing jeans with a yellow hanky hanging out of his right back pocket.

by Anonymousreply 57September 11, 2018 10:56 AM

He seemed terribly insecure and neurotic. He would cry about Tab because Tab could be a bit cool and aloof and Tony needed constant attention and approval. The upcoming film should be interesting.

by Anonymousreply 58September 11, 2018 11:50 AM

I would add his name to the list of actors with dark energy.

Saw him in Equus in NYC in the '70s, he was excellent as the psychiatrist.

by Anonymousreply 59September 11, 2018 12:00 PM

I just watched the Tab Hunter documentary this past weekend, and the bit about Tony and Tab is pretty brief, but it is clear, looking at Tab's expressions while he talks about it that Tony hurt him deeply. And then they just drifted apart, he says. Seems to be Tony was all about Tony! I mean, if you had Tab Fucking Hunter as your BF, you don't fuck that up. God he was gorgeous and seemed truly sweet.

by Anonymousreply 60September 11, 2018 12:27 PM

He was a crappy driver.

by Anonymousreply 61September 11, 2018 2:50 PM

It's just so shocking that he was into piss and rape play. He looks so nerdy and nice and cute!

by Anonymousreply 62September 12, 2018 5:03 PM

"He wore jeans."

Dear Lord!

by Anonymousreply 63September 12, 2018 5:12 PM

Hee Hee!!

by Anonymousreply 64September 12, 2018 5:24 PM

I always thought young George Chakiris looked a lot like Perkins.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65September 12, 2018 6:55 PM

Were he and Sondheim a thing?

by Anonymousreply 66September 12, 2018 8:54 PM

or George Hamilton.

by Anonymousreply 67September 12, 2018 9:56 PM

I turned him straight.

by Anonymousreply 68September 12, 2018 10:17 PM

We know, sweetheart.

by Anonymousreply 69September 12, 2018 10:19 PM

Don’t sass me, R69. Don’t forget, I’m packing heat! Just ask my maid.

by Anonymousreply 70September 12, 2018 10:23 PM

No mention of the son?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71September 12, 2018 10:46 PM

This is Elvis, right?

by Anonymousreply 72September 12, 2018 10:48 PM

I didn’t realize Meg Tilly was such a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 73September 12, 2018 10:54 PM

No, R72. That's his other son Oz. He's an actor/director/writer and played 'Dorky David' in "Legally Blonde".

by Anonymousreply 74September 13, 2018 5:39 PM

Neckbeard! Shave that shit, dude.

by Anonymousreply 75September 14, 2018 7:52 PM

Berry seemed star struck.

by Anonymousreply 76September 14, 2018 10:20 PM

What makes you think this, r76. She had many opportunities to meet (and did meet) celebrities of all kinds, but she fell all over herself trying to meet Perkins. I think she really loved him.

by Anonymousreply 77September 14, 2018 10:25 PM

Berry Berenson and sis Marisa, were the granddaughters of French couturiere Elsa Schaparelli, who basically invented hot pink and the 1930s.

by Anonymousreply 78September 14, 2018 10:39 PM

Someone more adept at linking than me must post a couple of those Roddy MacDowall Malibu home movies that Tony appeared in. He looks positively evil in them unlike all the stars (even Lauren Bacall!) who appear to be absolutely delighted to be photographed.

by Anonymousreply 79September 14, 2018 10:41 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80September 14, 2018 10:45 PM

OMG, everyone from Rock Hudson, Tuesday Weld, Judy Garland, Natalie Wood, Betty Bacall, Polly Bergen, Suzanne Pleshette, Jane Fonda, Natalie Wood, David O Selznick & Jennifer Jones, Tom Tryon, Dominick Dunne, even Gladys fucking Cooper!

Actually, Tony doesn't seem so evil in this one. Maybe I misremembered. Thanks for posting r80. I love those home movies so much.

by Anonymousreply 81September 14, 2018 11:01 PM

Perkins strikes me as someone whose life was one long midlife crisis from about age 30 on. I just get the feeling he did a lot of LSD, and became a creepy, bitter little bitch.

by Anonymousreply 82September 14, 2018 11:24 PM

I also read about the "burglar" fetish Perkins had, where he'd leave his door open and be laying naked on his bed awaiting the "intrusion." Chris Makos, professional boyfriend to oddballs (Perkins, Warhol) said that his marriage to Berenson didn't stop Perkins from acting out his dark fantasies. When Berenson left the room, he told Makos all the dirty things he wanted done to him. "Whatever you say Norman," Makos allegedly replied.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83September 14, 2018 11:40 PM

Everything I've read about Perkins pretty much makes it clear he was a dick.

Manipulative, bitchy, disloyal, vicious, arrogant, sexually depraved and duplicitous.

In other words, the perfect Data Lounger.

by Anonymousreply 84September 14, 2018 11:50 PM

In his book "Dropped Names," Frank Langella tells a story of seeing Perkins in L.A. outside Tower Records. Earlier, Perkins had put the moves (unsuccessfully, or so says Langella) on him and now, here he was near the end of his life, zonked out of his mind, sick and scrawny wandering through the weeds above the parking lot on Sunset Strip. A very sad life, esp. for those involved with him who suffered.

by Anonymousreply 85September 14, 2018 11:52 PM

That clip was just meant to be European, not gay. Back then, people did not automaticly think gay.

My thing with Perkins, he married and had two kids but continued to have boyfriends. Then he died of aids...how did his family feel about that?

by Anonymousreply 86September 15, 2018 12:05 AM

It must also be mentioned that the hot daddy in Phaedre stroking Tony was Italian New Wave star Raf Vallone.

by Anonymousreply 87September 15, 2018 12:09 AM

Probably pretty sad, r86. In every public statement at the time, they were loving and loyal. Berry was upset that he'd forbidden her to tell any of their friends he was so sick, which left her very isolated--but other than that, she, and later the kids, spoke of him with great affection. She also claimed they didn't know how he'd gotten AIDs.

by Anonymousreply 88September 15, 2018 12:12 AM

I forgot where I read it but a former trick of AP's said he had creepy fetishes and liked to see blood.

by Anonymousreply 89September 15, 2018 1:55 AM

It was probably Chris Makos, who sang like a bird for one of the two biographers. ^^

by Anonymousreply 90September 15, 2018 2:12 AM

Tilly was foolish to not know who Tony was and why he should have been respected. I would have wanted to fire her too. There was no excuse for her ignorance.

by Anonymousreply 91September 15, 2018 4:24 AM

I think he loved his family and obviously they loved him but he was a bit odd.

by Anonymousreply 92September 15, 2018 4:33 AM

His son was in Legally Blond.

by Anonymousreply 93September 15, 2018 4:34 AM

Right on all counts, r92.

by Anonymousreply 94September 15, 2018 12:57 PM

Thanks for that, r80.

Who was the guy hugging Jane Fonda?

And Tony looked like an asshole at the 3:40 mark, saying "fuck you" over and over. Seems like he'd be a total wet blanket at a party

by Anonymousreply 95September 15, 2018 1:22 PM

Anthony Perkins is a lot like Liza, good actor with limited range who had one iconic role that defined his entire career.

by Anonymousreply 96September 15, 2018 4:18 PM

I'm not sure I'd call him a good actor, range or not. Phaedre was embarrassing. So were most of his early films. How was Fear Strikes Out?

by Anonymousreply 97September 15, 2018 4:30 PM

Let's just say that for Tony they had to bring in a stand-in for all the batting shots.

by Anonymousreply 98September 15, 2018 7:25 PM

In R80's link you see Dominick Dunne slipping in and becoming part of the party. He should wear a shirt. Jane Fonda's outfit is everything.

by Anonymousreply 99September 15, 2018 7:40 PM

Aw, I think Dominick Dunne was very cute back then!

by Anonymousreply 100September 15, 2018 8:01 PM

Did everyone at those Roddy MacDowall parties eventually die of lung cancer?

by Anonymousreply 101September 15, 2018 8:03 PM

Those movies really bring back a moment in time where the old guard (David O. Selznick doing crossword puzzles) was disappearing. Ten years after these movies I was a teletype operator and I worked underneath Selznick's old office. Fox was now corporate-owned with the back lot already Century City. Selznick had a suite of white tiled rooms down there with a private staircase leading to it. There was his sauna and massage room, a small pool (now filled with empty bottles and cans) and a dressing room which was where my teletype machine was set up. Forgotten and shabby. I love these old movies and I'm glad Roddy passed them on. Watching James Fox pulling Natalie Wood into the water was kind of scary sad. I wish someone would do a list of who's who in the films.

by Anonymousreply 102September 15, 2018 8:12 PM

Who was the hottie in the swim trunks with the pretty in shape body lighting the cigarette? Dark and handsome

by Anonymousreply 103September 15, 2018 8:19 PM

I just take it for granted that the really cute boy is Roddy's boyfriend. He's the one who tries to look happy whenever the camera glides over his perfect body.

by Anonymousreply 104September 15, 2018 8:21 PM

Paul Newman is hotness personified in his white swimsuit.

by Anonymousreply 105September 15, 2018 8:22 PM

I wish Jane Fonda would release movies of the parties she and Roger Vadim had down the beach from Roddy's. That would be something, tho probably unreleasable.

by Anonymousreply 106September 15, 2018 8:46 PM

The hot guy in the trunks lighting cigarettes was Roddy's bf of the moment, Summer 1965. His name has come up in these threads before but he wasn't an actor, at least not of any fame.

I love these movies so much and I wish some old Hollywood expert could go over all of them and add a sub-titled name over each person as they appear. There are so many celebs in them who are not identifiably famous but whose names would be recognized (mostly producers and their wives, I guess).

1965 was the beginning of such a transitional time in Hollywood, it's particularly fascinating to see who was "in" that summer.

by Anonymousreply 107September 15, 2018 8:46 PM

And fascinating to wonder how much gay talk (admiring of a hot newcomer, for instance) was done at Roddy's parties. Surely most of the guests knew that he, Rock, Tony and several other young men were gay. Was it acknowledged or just discreetly not mentioned at all.

by Anonymousreply 108September 15, 2018 8:49 PM

Anyone know who the brunette lady in the lavender sweater is who opens the home movie at r80? Or the lady in the yellow blouse and big white hat who comes in next? Or the hot guy in the broadly striped sweater talking to Jane Fonda later on?

by Anonymousreply 109September 15, 2018 8:58 PM

[quote]I wish some old Hollywood expert could go over all of them and add a sub-titled name over each person as they appear.

Yeah, or add it as a soundtrack, identifying the people and giving little tidbits of trivia, the pictures they were doing, who was sleeping with whom . . . etc.

by Anonymousreply 110September 15, 2018 9:04 PM

R109, the brunette in lavendar is Ellen Griffin Dunne, or "Lenny," Dominick's wife.

by Anonymousreply 111September 16, 2018 1:12 AM

My Eldgay Children, Mr. Perkins was my co-star in my movie Mahogany. I shall not speak ill of the dead however his acting was more a portrayal of his "true" personality. I was saddened by his death. Love to all as always !!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112September 16, 2018 1:20 AM

Thanks for the ID, r111.

by Anonymousreply 113September 16, 2018 1:31 AM

[quote]I worked underneath Selznick's old office. Fox was now corporate-owned with the back lot already Century City. Selznick had a suite of white tiled rooms down there with a private staircase leading to it.

Not Selznick. Zanuck. My bad.

by Anonymousreply 114September 16, 2018 2:03 AM

[quote] I also read he tried to get one of the chicks

chicks?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115September 16, 2018 2:15 AM

This is what he was like.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116September 16, 2018 2:30 AM

nice.

by Anonymousreply 117September 16, 2018 2:32 AM

[quote]I love these movies so much and I wish some old Hollywood expert could go over all of them and add a sub-titled name over each person as they appear.

Sounds like a job for "Pop-Up Video!"

by Anonymousreply 118September 16, 2018 2:53 AM

When I was little I always got Tony and Bradford Dillman mixed up.

by Anonymousreply 119September 16, 2018 3:17 AM

The Perkins biography, “Split Image” was very interesting, though it didn’t present Perkins in the best light. The Tab Hunter/“Fear Strikes Out” story was a prime example of Perkins’s behavior. I also remember that the author asked Connie Stevens, his costar in Broadway’s “The Star Spangled Girl” for her impressions of Perkins and she declined comment.

by Anonymousreply 120September 16, 2018 4:10 AM

R112, but she let him know that she wasn't the one

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121September 16, 2018 1:13 PM

R121 , I remember that scene well !! He kept wanting to reshoot it !! On the 4th take he said "call me a bitch boy to make it more intense " Well I looked over at Berry he called it a wrap. I was not going to participate in his S and M foolishness !!

by Anonymousreply 122September 16, 2018 1:34 PM

Who is the guy with the bulge at 51 seconds? He is hot!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123September 16, 2018 1:44 PM

R123, Christopher Plummer

by Anonymousreply 124September 16, 2018 1:55 PM

Tab was not a nice person either. Tony would visit Tab's set, early on, and someone told Tab to make him disappear so no one would get gay vibes, and Hunter did it.

by Anonymousreply 125September 16, 2018 2:11 PM

Mrs. Brewster, that may be the case, but surely you remember that the scene was a recreation of actual events. You could not have forgotten how Berry Gordy was being an absolute bastard to you demanding take after take of a particularly humiliating scene. Finally, you'd had enough and slapped the shit out of Berry, sending his sunglasses flying into the air. You stormed off the set and never returned - you were DONE! The scene was recreated for the movie in the gif above. He should have known better, eh?

by Anonymousreply 126September 16, 2018 2:25 PM

I think R123 was talking about Sal Mineo (the hot number in the white jeans)

by Anonymousreply 127September 16, 2018 2:29 PM

R121 You must be one one of my super fans !!! Yes Berry and I had a complicated relationship that was somewhat intense at times. I was in the first trimester of my pregnancy while filming this movie so hormonally I was delicate. I remember having to retake this scene over and over again with Berry's insistence. The worst part was the rather annoying flamboyant production assistant drying me off each time!!!! I had suggested to Berry to use Bruce Vilanch as a stand-in ( with a black wig and heavy Fashion Fair Foundation on his face ) for the fountain scene. But Berry was concerned too much water would be displaced by him falling into the fountain and it would flood the streets of Rome !!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128September 16, 2018 2:37 PM

Thanks R124. Love those old timey bathing suits that showed the goods.

by Anonymousreply 129September 16, 2018 2:46 PM

^Yes, Mrs. Brewster - that is the scene to which I was referring, and I'm so glad that you remembered. For a minute there, I was considering whether or not you were tipping the bottle back then as well. Berry was a fool to think that he could still exert the same control over you which he employed the five years he was slipping you the D! And people have the nerve to question your reputation for being such a bitch - if they only knew.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130September 16, 2018 2:48 PM

I don't believe for a moment he ever fucked Berenson.

by Anonymousreply 131September 16, 2018 2:58 PM

R121 As I look back on my life each step has been necessary, complete and perfect !!! Thank you for continued love !!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132September 16, 2018 3:07 PM

You're welcome Mrs. B. You always rose above it all, and I personally always referred to you as "Diana - Goddess of Belief" Best wishes always.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133September 16, 2018 3:22 PM

If the poster meant the bulge in the clingy baby blue swim trunks that is indeed Captain Von Trapp. Chris Plummer looks exceedingly hot in that home movie, even with his clothes on.

by Anonymousreply 134September 16, 2018 5:47 PM

These home movies really do show the innate and effortless beauty of Natalie Wood, Jane Fonda, Tuesday Weld, even Juliet Mills......you get why they were hired in the waning days of the studio system.

Samantha Eggar and Lee Remick appear in other home movies and Roddy's camera captures a beauty they never even quite showed onscreen.

by Anonymousreply 135September 16, 2018 5:50 PM

Why does (er, did) Lee Remick always look like she's posing?

by Anonymousreply 136September 16, 2018 5:53 PM

Why did he never play Bobby in Company? Wasn't the part written with him in mind?

by Anonymousreply 137September 17, 2018 6:20 AM

Who was the beautiful young blond man who was fully dressed--ie, wearing chinos of some kind--who first appears with Sal Mineo? Ms Mineo's trick or another celeb? He has the beauty of Joe D'A but is not he...

by Anonymousreply 138September 17, 2018 7:06 AM

During this period Sal would have been shagging Bobby Sherman. Is that him?

by Anonymousreply 139September 17, 2018 10:13 AM

Perkins was offered the chance to direct a play and begged off doing Company, r137.

by Anonymousreply 140September 17, 2018 1:40 PM

Many think the blonde guy with Sal was one of those Beach Boys.

by Anonymousreply 141September 18, 2018 1:06 AM

To me he always looks like Andrew Garfield's father.

by Anonymousreply 142September 18, 2018 6:02 AM
by Anonymousreply 143August 5, 2019 1:58 PM

He was suppose to play Hard Case Williams in Lust In The Dust but felt the part wasn't "right" for him.

Sad closet case who died of AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 144August 5, 2019 5:51 PM

he was extremely secretive, incredibly ambitious and ruthless in pursuit of parts. He would throw anybody under the bus for the next part. He was also strange, sexually confused, and about as much on the downlow as it is possible to be..............other than that, he was a great guy.

by Anonymousreply 145August 5, 2019 8:31 PM

I remember reading a story on the old IMDB board about Anthony Perkins going to the dentist or doctor and they found "strange liquids" in his mouth. I don't know if the poster got that from a bio book or what.

by Anonymousreply 146April 7, 2020 7:45 PM

My God, EVERYone smoked in those days !

by Anonymousreply 147April 7, 2020 8:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!