Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

IT HAPPENED TO ME: An Oscar Winner Bullied Me So Badly That I Quit the Film Industry

The film is obviously Election, directed by Alexander Payne.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75August 25, 2018 12:02 AM

George who?

by Anonymousreply 1May 15, 2016 5:37 AM

Dear Nifty...

by Anonymousreply 2May 15, 2016 5:42 AM

yes, the film industry is filled with nasty jerks

by Anonymousreply 3May 15, 2016 5:45 AM

Alexander Payne and George Parra.

by Anonymousreply 4May 15, 2016 5:46 AM

Election was very misogynistic.

by Anonymousreply 5May 15, 2016 5:48 AM

Payne hasn't won an Oscar, has he? In any case, between her husband and the producer and the director and God knows who else, she clearly doesn't do well with men, does she.

by Anonymousreply 6May 15, 2016 5:51 AM

You mean. It made woman look bad? It made everybody look bad.

by Anonymousreply 7May 15, 2016 5:51 AM

Payne has won 2 Oscars R6.

by Anonymousreply 8May 15, 2016 6:02 AM

ahhh, forgot about both writing awards. He has a pretty mellow reputation in the biz, though (unlike, say, David O. Russell). So wonder how much of this was him and how much of it was a woman working in a high stress position she wasn't quite ready to be in.

by Anonymousreply 9May 15, 2016 6:07 AM

so a man dry humping a woman is to be expected as part of a high stress position?

by Anonymousreply 10May 15, 2016 6:17 AM

Fuck her

by Anonymousreply 11May 15, 2016 6:22 AM

It was pretty sick how this film was praised mainly because it showed a high school teacher masturbating over his student, who he tries to bring down. A blond, domineering female who has the audacity to run for president. It's basically a Berniebros wank film.

Not too dissimilar for the praise American Beauty got that also has an extended masturbation scene of a middle-aged man wanking over a high-schooler. Except here she's a madonna, not a whore. Pretty sick stuff all around.

by Anonymousreply 12May 15, 2016 6:33 AM

Frau alert at R12! If that's all you took away from Election and American Beauty I pity you.

by Anonymousreply 13May 15, 2016 6:38 AM

How is this movie "praised mainly because it showed a high school teacher masturbating over his student"?

by Anonymousreply 14May 15, 2016 6:38 AM

R12 clearly wasn't paying much attention to either of those movies it seems

by Anonymousreply 15May 15, 2016 6:41 AM

American Beauty was deeply misogynist (I am a fan of Six Feet Under) and entirely overrated. American Pie had more depth, soul and genuine authenticity.

by Anonymousreply 16May 15, 2016 6:43 AM

Going to have to disagree with you on that R16

by Anonymousreply 17May 15, 2016 6:44 AM

yikes, this thread and those capsule reviews of "Election" and "American Beauty". Howlers.

R10, I want to feel sympathy for the dry humping incident but, I'm sorry, if that really happened... I don't know, that sounds like one wacky production office where things happen that I never witnessed even close to in thirty years of the business. Something just sounds off. And easy to fight/report if it does happen in some way, especially in lawsuit terrified 2000 on.

She sure does seem to attract a lot of scummy men somehow. No? Even a director with no scummy reputation anywhere else? (Hint: She fucked up sending that script so maybe she deserved the "bullying" -- aka getting yelled at by the boss which has happened to all of us and we don't quit, we suck it up and learn from it and move on. Jesus...).

by Anonymousreply 18May 15, 2016 6:54 AM

[quote]I don't know, that sounds like one wacky production office where things happen that I never witnessed even close to in thirty years of the business.

Totally.

by Anonymousreply 19May 15, 2016 6:58 AM

So George Parra had an affair with Catherine Zeta-Jones during The Mask of Zorro?

by Anonymousreply 20May 15, 2016 7:08 AM

Nebraska was a piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 21May 15, 2016 7:11 AM

Was there ever a news story about the kid that got killed by the art truck? I couldn't find anything.

by Anonymousreply 22May 15, 2016 7:15 AM

It would have been Papillion-La Vista High School in 1997 or 1998.

by Anonymousreply 23May 15, 2016 7:23 AM

I wonder why Pamela Winn-Barnett quit the biz after Election, too? Or how many other women quit after that? Could just be a coincidence.

by Anonymousreply 24May 15, 2016 7:27 AM

Catherine Zeta-Jones is a homewrecker to the fucking max. I wonder how many married men she's wooed away from their wives.

by Anonymousreply 25May 15, 2016 7:29 AM

Whose home has CZJ wrecked?

by Anonymousreply 26May 15, 2016 7:35 AM

Bi-polars tend to do that - fuck indiscriminately for validation.

by Anonymousreply 27May 15, 2016 7:54 AM

[quote] Bi-polars

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 28May 15, 2016 7:58 AM

Lol why are they misogynists just because they didn't like HER and talked mad shit to her and humped her. Maybe they hated her because she's an asshole not because she's a woman.

by Anonymousreply 29May 15, 2016 7:58 AM

I hope someone dry humps and berates R29 in public.

by Anonymousreply 30May 15, 2016 8:14 AM

She sounds pretty annoying but Payne was a notorious asshole on the set of that movie. A lot of women walked off the set of that movie (including an underage Thora Birch) and apart from Reese, none of the other female cast members ever worked again.

by Anonymousreply 31May 15, 2016 8:59 AM

"American Beauty" is a dumbed down version of Todd Haynes' "Happiness" - much more palatable for the American public to congratulate Kevin Spacey for discarding Annette Benning to chase after Mena Suvari.

by Anonymousreply 32May 15, 2016 9:13 AM

I thought Thora Birch didn't have much of a career due to her parents

by Anonymousreply 33May 15, 2016 9:23 AM

He didn't discard her r32. She cheated on him with Peter Gallagher. He didn't cheat with anyone. (and then he died)

by Anonymousreply 34May 15, 2016 9:23 AM

Todd Solondz, R32, not Haynes.

by Anonymousreply 35May 15, 2016 10:28 AM

She mischaracterized the accident quite a bit. It wasn't directly "because of a movie" - it was because a movie crew member ran a red light. And he wasn't "20-something" either.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36May 15, 2016 10:54 AM

Also, the accident happened on November 1st, but the way she told the story, it seemed to have happened after Thanksgiving.

by Anonymousreply 37May 15, 2016 10:57 AM

The REAL website the story was shared on.

Fuck those thieving cunts at Yahoo who don't even do proper attribution.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38May 15, 2016 11:19 AM

This chick's story reminds me of my friend who is a perpetual victim in life: abusive parents, abusive hubby, mean co-workers, thieving neighbours, disobedient pets, and on and on and on it goes until you start to wonder how much of it could even possibly be true. How could ONE chick be victimized by soooo many people?

Clearly, they bring it on themselves with their meekness and weakness. No compassion for these bitches, srsly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39May 15, 2016 11:23 AM

In the Wikipedia entry for the movie, she's being called "Holly Balbinder".

by Anonymousreply 40May 15, 2016 11:28 AM

Holly Raychelles Hughes is a pseudonym.

by Anonymousreply 41May 15, 2016 11:30 AM

She's had a couple works in the 2000s. She didn't "quit the industry" after that movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42May 15, 2016 11:44 AM

The Alexander Payne Wiki bio has a "Controversy" section that's all about her accusations.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43May 15, 2016 11:44 AM

These victim types are all so boring. Everyone else always responsible. Self-pity is so tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 44May 15, 2016 11:46 AM

Her own, R26.

by Anonymousreply 45May 15, 2016 12:29 PM

If she weren't so weak, her name would be "Ballbreaker".

But she is, so it's not.

by Anonymousreply 46May 15, 2016 12:40 PM

She has taken this story around to any place that will publish her victim story. Not shocked XOJane carried it but it really is not news.

by Anonymousreply 47May 15, 2016 1:50 PM

She was hoping to go viral and relaunch herself as a Voice Against Harassment. I think she's failing, and if she won't make it now, she probably won't in the future, because who's to say that in 5, 10 years, we'll be as obsessed with worshiping any female claiming victimhood at the hands of a man as we are now?

by Anonymousreply 48May 15, 2016 1:57 PM

Holy shit! I love how she did not change any names! Check out IMDB and you can find all of these people. I guess George Parra fucked Catherine Zeta Jones! Most of the producers had shit careers going forth.

by Anonymousreply 49May 15, 2016 2:03 PM

R12 is a typical self-pitying Hill-Shill. [italic]Election[/italic] was brilliant and Tracy Flick was a homophobic Jesus Freak cunt who deserved to lose the election.

by Anonymousreply 50May 15, 2016 2:15 PM

[quote] Election was brilliant and Tracy Flick was a [bold] homophobic [/bold]

At least [italic] that [/italic] she had in common with Hillary.

by Anonymousreply 51May 15, 2016 2:23 PM

"George hoisted me up on top of a plastic picnic table in the middle of the front office and began dry-humping me. He pinned me in place as the table legs scooted back against the wall with his bodily force. The front doors opened, letting the fall chill my exposed skin. "

That's pretty fucked up. Can you imagine if he'd grabbed a gay men and pretended to fuck him over a table.

Who the fuck does this in a working environment, I don't care if it's movies or not, that is totally fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 52May 15, 2016 2:31 PM

[quote]That's pretty fucked up. Can you imagine if he'd grabbed a gay men and pretended to fuck him over a table.

I don't know one gay man in America who would object to this.

by Anonymousreply 53May 15, 2016 2:36 PM

I wouldn't be happy if THIS tried to dry hump me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54May 15, 2016 2:42 PM

R53: not if it was designed to belittle and humiliate him (and not in a good way)!

by Anonymousreply 55May 15, 2016 2:43 PM

Breeders are scum, R55. You seriously expected anything different from a member of an oppressor class?

by Anonymousreply 56May 15, 2016 2:45 PM

Todd SOLONDZ did Happiness, not Haynes, r32.

And it's very different from American Beauty.

by Anonymousreply 57May 15, 2016 3:11 PM

In a nutshell, how I remember working with men in the business (gay and straight alike) and how I remember working with women:

Men: We'd meet in my hotel room they had provided, they would drink (I was sober), I would smoke, we'd throw out ideas and laugh our asses off. And I had grabbed my gay producer -- or my straight director, for that matter -- and shown some mock sexual move related to the scene we were discussing, I assure you they'd have laughed it off. Oh, one more thing, the movies always got made and were almost always hits, either commercially or critically.

Women: We'd have a meeting scheduled in a conference room every single day to discuss what we had discussed the day before (and then I'd have to run home and write it all up all night, only to have it changed yet again the next meeting). Mundane discussion for hours, especially by an idiot American woman who brought down a whole studio with bomb after bomb. In another case, if I sat up by the window to smoke so it wouldn't fill the room, it was considered "a power play". Oh yeah, none of those movies ever got made; I'd get paid off and then they would lose interest and they'd die on the vine. I got to where I wouldn't accept those gigs anymore unless I needed some quick cash and then I'd keep my best lines/jokes for other scripts that I knew would actually get made.

Maybe some people just aren't meant to work with women. At least in some professions. I never want to do it again myself. I like guys.

by Anonymousreply 58May 15, 2016 10:52 PM

If that cunt had snitched on me and it cost me a cast member, I would have fired her.

She did it on purpose.

by Anonymousreply 59May 16, 2016 3:13 AM

R58 = just another fag who thought he was one of the guys while they laughed at him behind his back. I'm guessing a woman must have fired him from something at some point which turned him into a giant misogynist.

by Anonymousreply 60May 16, 2016 3:39 AM

Good for her. I love when people rip the veneer off Hollywood. Like the Kramer v. Kramer shoot. People did not know it was worse than imagined until recently.

And Reese burned a lot of girls during the launch of her sex for parts carreer. At least JLaw is not mean to other girls (to their face, she has the Julia sleep with married actor syndrome). I support this outing of bad behavior, like calling out Wiody. How many girls did he use and give them nothing? What goes around comes around, by the great gay star Justin Timberlake. Secrets are harmful

by Anonymousreply 61May 16, 2016 3:42 AM

You are one stupid cunt, R60. Not right on any front. So many idiots on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 62May 16, 2016 5:10 AM

You know how bitchy R60 can be!

by Anonymousreply 63May 16, 2016 5:13 AM

r60 = just another full-of-shit, pseudo-feminist who thinks women can do no wrong, and anyone who calls them on anything is a "misogynist."

Good luck getting through life on the misogyny card, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 64May 16, 2016 6:59 AM

These grapes are 17 YEARS SOUR!

by Anonymousreply 65May 16, 2016 7:00 AM

There's no excuse for the dry humping.

But there's no excuse for the author's snitching, passive-aggression, misogyny card-pulling bullshit and self pity.

by Anonymousreply 66May 16, 2016 7:03 AM

R61, what's the scoop on the Kramer shoot? Was there an article or thread about that?

If I've learned anything in life, it's that the truth most likely lies somewhere in the middle. There was probably abuse or emotional mistreatment, but she probably ended up viewing every criticism (fair or unfair) as abuse.

by Anonymousreply 67May 16, 2016 7:12 AM

That's Todd SOLONDZ, R32. And I agree.

by Anonymousreply 68May 17, 2016 2:18 PM

She sounds like an idiot.

"I don't remember handling it well. I may have given out a producer's phone number."

She remembers well enough what other people did, but her memory gets all squishy when it comes to her own actions.

by Anonymousreply 69May 17, 2016 4:16 PM

"I have conflict with everyone around me, but it's them and not me."

by Anonymousreply 70May 17, 2016 4:48 PM

Delusional AND a featherweight to boot. "Mommy, he yelled at me!!!"

by Anonymousreply 71May 17, 2016 5:49 PM

This totally reminds me of 'The Comeback'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72May 18, 2016 3:29 AM

She should consider herself lucky that an Oscar winner even took the time to notice and bully her. People around the world would give their eye teeth to have an Oscar winner be mean to them.

by Anonymousreply 73May 18, 2016 3:48 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 74August 24, 2018 11:55 PM

Why, R74? No one really cared in the first place

by Anonymousreply 75August 25, 2018 12:02 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!