Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Alice Ghostley Bitch or Credit Grabber

Alice Ghostley was the unwelcomed replacement for TV's beloved Aunt Bee, who left "Mayberry RFD" after they refused to let her eat in the commissary without paying. "What was I supposed to do? she said, "If I stayed on, my snacks alone cost more than the salary I earned," explance Bavier who played the obese Aunt Bee.

While the rest of the cast hated not only the character but also the actress. Many theories are given as to why, some viewed her as a traitor for appearing on both "Bewitched" an ABC show and "Mayberry RFD" a CBS show. Accommodations in storylines had to be written for Alice when she was on "Bewitched."

"Why not just hire another actress?" said Jack Dodson, who played Howard Sprague, "It's not like she was that great."

Some have speculated that Ghostley was full of herself, which is true and was trying to be a bigger bitch than Frances Bavier was, no small feet in of itself, but others speculate it was pure jealousy of the cast.

In the opening credits about a man and his son and the townspeople, you find Ken Berry getting top billing. Fair enough he is the center of the show and had fame from "F Troop." Then second was Frances Bavier, also deserving as she was with Mayberry from day one. Then George "Goober" Lindsey was the last to get opening credits. This can be justified as he was on TAG show for so long.

But when Bavier quit and Ghostley took over the role, she "magically" got opening credits. She wasn't even in every episode like the main cast, yet she steamrolled her way into the opening credits?

I can only imagine how the actors who played, Howard, Emmett, Millie and especially Mike, who were far more integral to the cast felt. And they let it be known that Ghostley was not only a credit grabber but a behind the scenes bitch as well.

by Anonymousreply 52March 28, 2021 12:05 PM

Why did I just read this?

by Anonymousreply 1May 13, 2016 3:28 PM

And yet she did well on Designing Women.

by Anonymousreply 2May 13, 2016 3:37 PM

The question is *how* did you read this, as riddled with errors as it is?

by Anonymousreply 3May 13, 2016 3:38 PM

OP, I feel sad for you.

by Anonymousreply 4May 13, 2016 3:51 PM

Alice who?

by Anonymousreply 5May 13, 2016 3:56 PM

My Mee Ma was Aunt Bea's stunt double.

In any scenes where she's in an explosion, a gun battle, police-chase, climbing a chain link fence , or being pistol-whipped, that was my Gran.

We used to be invited to her Holiday parties. She & her partner served the most yummy hot fruit I've ever had. I only ever remember waking up at home after I ate it though. Weird!

When my sister & I were a bit older we spent many terrifying hours bound & gagged (and upside down!!! HA!!!) in their state of the art sex dungeon. They were a couple of real fun-time-gals!

Good times !

by Anonymousreply 6May 13, 2016 4:18 PM

This is the mess who can barely read or write. He wrote the "Bea Arthur is a bitch" thread.

Mess, mess, mess.

by Anonymousreply 7May 13, 2016 4:23 PM

Ah it IS in FACT Aunt BEE.

by Anonymousreply 8May 13, 2016 4:44 PM

[quote]Ah it IS in FACT Aunt BEE.

You mean AINT Bee.

by Anonymousreply 9May 13, 2016 4:46 PM

Ghostley was a credit crabber pure and simple, and that made her thoroughly disliked on "Mayberry RFD."

Especially by the cast members that deserved an opening credit.

[quote]He wrote the "Bea Arthur is a bitch"

The author isn't stating Alice Ghostley IS a bitch, but asks IF she was or simply a credit grabber.

by Anonymousreply 10May 13, 2016 4:47 PM

[quote]You mean AINT Bee.

No, while you're correct in the pronunciation, it's still spelled AUNT.

It's like Palm or Often, whether you pronounce the "L" or "T" is your choice, but the spelling is standard.

by Anonymousreply 11May 13, 2016 4:49 PM

Take a look at the acting credits

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 13, 2016 4:52 PM

But, r11, if you are intoning an accent through artistic spelling, it is perfectly allowed.

Otherwise, the intent could not be expressed in standard spelling.

Y'asshole.

by Anonymousreply 13May 13, 2016 4:52 PM

[quote] if you are intoning an accent through artistic spelling, it is perfectly allowed.

If so, then you'd have to use quotes around "AINT" or some other type of grammatical mark or even Aunt (pronounced here as "Aint") Bee.

by Anonymousreply 14May 13, 2016 5:13 PM

Has Uncle Bee-yul weighed in on this controversy?

by Anonymousreply 15May 13, 2016 5:15 PM

She played my Aunt Ida Mae on my show after Lorimar gave Edie McClurg a salary boost to do that Jason Bateman sitcom full-time. They could afford to give her an and/as but we couldn't! Which begs the question: if they could do that for Edie, why did they plead poverty when Valerie Harper wanted more money?

by Anonymousreply 16May 13, 2016 5:21 PM

[quote] The author isn't stating Alice Ghostley IS a bitch, but asks IF she was or simply a credit grabber.

That wasn't what I said, at all.

I said the same idiot wrote the two threads.

by Anonymousreply 17May 13, 2016 7:00 PM

r14, if you cannot recognize it at face value, you are 'tupid.

by Anonymousreply 18May 13, 2016 7:39 PM

Buffy and Jody at R15, I always thought you were saying Unca Beo.

by Anonymousreply 19May 13, 2016 7:50 PM

I skimmed OP's title too fast at first and thought it said, "Alice Ghostley Bitch or Cock Gobbler."

by Anonymousreply 20May 13, 2016 8:04 PM

I was watching the episode where Alice first comes into town, the town is going to have a flag pole raising ceremony.. She alienates Goober by showing him she knows more about cars than him. Then she refused to play bridge with the ladies, suggesting poker or a host of other shady card games.

She continues to make a bad first impression, when at the council meeting Clara announces that they haven't made a cake, which will be the focal point of the whole ceremony. Whatever will they do????

(ah hint: Millie works at a bakery)

So Cousin Alice volunteers to bake a cake, despite the fact ten minutes ago she told Mike she couldn't bake and was serving the family chip beef on toast for dinner and rice and raisins for dessert.

Alice does her best but the cake flops so she refuses to face the music and Sam goes into town on the day of the celebration to say that Alice failed.

Clara of course says, "Why did she volunteer if she knew she couldn't do it?"

Millie chimes in, while holding a beet salad and says "Maybe we can make this beet salad the focal point of the ceremony."

(millie you DUMBASS, you WORK IN A BAKERY)

Then all of a sudden the kid who will play the bugle while raising the flag (or flagpole) got hit in the mouth with a ball and can't blow the bugle.

Well coincidently Cousin Alice who spent the last 20 years in the WACS just happened to play the trumpet, (I guess they're interchangeable?) and saves the day.

But what about cake? It's never mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 21May 13, 2016 8:16 PM

I'm sure that she could have managed to be both, R20.

by Anonymousreply 22May 13, 2016 8:18 PM

I'm told that when the ghastly Ghostley picked up my Oscar she pretended the whole evening that it was really hers.

Credit grabber indeed.

by Anonymousreply 23May 13, 2016 9:47 PM

Jody had some kind of a speech impediment on that show where he couldn't pronounce "l".

by Anonymousreply 24May 13, 2016 10:31 PM

Alice Ghostley is Paul Lynde in drag.

by Anonymousreply 25May 13, 2016 10:38 PM

Ghostley and Lynde were friends and he supposedly copied her voice and speech patterns for comic effect according to the Lynde biography "Center Square".

I think Ghostley played his sister in an early 70s sitcom on ABC. Could you imagine being the parents of that sibling duo?

by Anonymousreply 26May 13, 2016 10:54 PM

Perhaps one should just let this kind of shit go.

by Anonymousreply 27May 13, 2016 10:58 PM

r27

Why don't you go.

by Anonymousreply 28May 13, 2016 11:08 PM

Paul Lynde and Alice Ghostley (along with others like Mel Brooks, Eartha Kitt, Robert Clary and Carol Lawrence) first came to fame in a Broadway revue called "New Faces of 1952."

by Anonymousreply 29May 13, 2016 11:11 PM

Alice was a dear Frances B was a whore

by Anonymousreply 30May 13, 2016 11:12 PM

Alice only did two episodes of Mayberry RFD. BFD.

by Anonymousreply 31May 14, 2016 12:54 AM

[quote]Paul Lynde and Alice Ghostley (along with others like Mel Brooks, Eartha Kitt, Robert Clary and Carol Lawrence) first came to fame in a Broadway revue called "New Faces of 1952."

Along with Maggie Smith, which is why her old friend Alice Ghostley picked up that award for her.

by Anonymousreply 32May 14, 2016 8:15 AM

Maggie Smith and Alice Ghostley were roommates. For real.

Now the bitchy Maggie is revealed at a much earlier date.

by Anonymousreply 33May 14, 2016 8:53 AM

[quote]But when Bavier quit and Ghostley took over the role, she "magically" got opening credits.

Wow I didn't this of know all of it.

by Anonymousreply 34March 27, 2021 11:47 AM

[quote]Clara announces that they haven't made a cake, which will be the focal point of the whole ceremony. Whatever will they do????...(ah hint: Millie works at a bakery)

LOL

by Anonymousreply 35March 27, 2021 11:50 AM

[quote]Alice only did two episodes of Mayberry RFD.

She did 13 episodes out of 26 in last year

by Anonymousreply 36March 27, 2021 11:54 AM

Alice Ghostley claims band "Alice Cooper" was named after her. (character on RFD)

Liar.

by Anonymousreply 37March 27, 2021 11:54 AM

[quote] Ghostley and Lynde were friends and he supposedly copied her voice and speech patterns for comic effect

Are you sure it wasn't the other way around? Doesn't he predate her career wise?

by Anonymousreply 38March 27, 2021 11:58 AM

[quote]Why did I just read this?

I’m asking myself the same thing, this old thread with only a handful of replies has inspired a lot of questions.

[quote]after Lorimar gave Edie McClurg a salary boost to do that Jason Bateman sitcom full-time.

WHET Edie McClurg? Weeds is the last show I saw her in.

[quote]Maggie Smith and Alice Ghostley were roommates. For real. Now the bitchy Maggie is revealed at a much earlier date.

Maggie Smith is known as a bitch? Why?

[quote]Accommodations in storylines had to be written for Alice when she was on "Bewitched."

Did her character replace Aunt Clara?

[quote]trying to be a bigger bitch than Frances Bavier was, no small feet in of itself

I think I may have heard about her being difficult but can someone post examples?

by Anonymousreply 39March 27, 2021 12:07 PM

Of all the “bitches” mentioned in this thread, it seems that Edie McClurg is THE biggest bitch. Epic cunt, if the stories that have been mentioned here over the years are true.

by Anonymousreply 40March 27, 2021 1:01 PM

It's not that Alice Ghostley got too much credit. She never got enough.

She was spectacular, bitches. Bow down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41March 27, 2021 1:09 PM

Alice Ghostley was hilarious

by Anonymousreply 42March 27, 2021 1:13 PM

[italic]Bewitched[/italic] was different. Marion Lorne died and they didn’t want to recast. By this time, Elizabeth Montgomery had her name over the title so Alice knew her place on the show damn well.

by Anonymousreply 43March 27, 2021 1:55 PM

Aunt Bee was fired because she was a boozer! The episode where a 'Medicine Man' came to Mayberry to hawk his elixir caused a stir yet everyone bought into the hype including Aunt Bee. She and the ladies group she belonged to got lit on the sauce and they had a rolling piano sing-along (see link). Once Aunt Bee got a taste of the hooch she was hooked! Later on in the series she and Floyd the barber when down to Mount Pilot for a 'visit'. This was a cover for sending Aunt Bee to the Substance Abuse Clinic down there which Mayberry had yet to establish. Frances Bavier continued her drinking binges on set although during the taping she would hold it together enough to appear composed. She progressed to drinking during the rehearsal and taping of the show and often was seen employing a flask to keep her buzz up. As time went on she couldn't keep up and was dismissed at the end of the series. How the mighty have fallen!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44March 27, 2021 2:16 PM

[quote]WHET Edie McClurg? Weeds is the last show I saw her in.

Spongebob, she is the driving teacher

by Anonymousreply 45March 27, 2021 3:08 PM

Alice Ghostley was funny on Designing Women, but that was it. She added nothing to Bewitched nor Mayberry RFD.

She was like Jerry Van Dyke, he was hysterical on Coach but nothing else. Both of these people found success at the end of their lives.

by Anonymousreply 46March 27, 2021 3:09 PM

R45, no, that's Mary Jo Catlett, from Diff'rent Strokes/Serial Mom.

by Anonymousreply 47March 27, 2021 3:25 PM

Fabulous. Alice was fabulous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48March 28, 2021 4:15 AM

[quote][R45], no, that's Mary Jo Catlett, from Diff'rent Strokes/Serial Mom.

And the original Ernestina in [italic]Hello, Dolly![/italic]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49March 28, 2021 4:20 AM

Circa 1980/81, my friends and I were wandering the streets of New York's theater district when we happened to pass where Annie was playing. Out of the front doors appeared John Schuck and Alice Ghostly. Both were very gracious when we complimented them on their performance we'd seen the night before. Didn't ask for an autograph and weren't carrying a camera that late at night.

by Anonymousreply 50March 28, 2021 4:35 AM

Edie McClurg has either dementia or early-onset Alzheimer's. A couple of years ago she was in the news when her family petitioned for a conservatorship to get her away from her live-in boyfriend, who had allegedly tried to coerce her into signing documents changing her will.

by Anonymousreply 51March 28, 2021 5:10 AM

Edie McClurg is like Hyacinth in reality. But not good like her.

by Anonymousreply 52March 28, 2021 12:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!