Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Woody Allen's Café Society reviews: Meh

Woody should have cast Jesse Eisenberg as a sniveling queen under the thumb of a domineering basketcase mother (Cate Blanchett).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38March 23, 2019 2:00 AM

[quote]Woody should have cast Jesse Eisenberg as a sniveling queen under the thumb of a domineering basketcase mother (Cate Blanchett).

I've seen seminaries with more gays than a Woody Allen movie.

by Anonymousreply 1May 11, 2016 5:22 PM

That lezzie twat Kristen Stewart has the on-screen presence of a wet mop.

by Anonymousreply 2May 11, 2016 5:25 PM

Miley Cyrus for the emotionally unstable sister!

by Anonymousreply 3May 11, 2016 5:26 PM

So, KStew is still working that singular facial expression?

by Anonymousreply 4May 11, 2016 5:26 PM

I love Jesse...he probably just about had a nervous breakdown working with Woody. Man I can not stand Stewart...don't like her at all.

by Anonymousreply 5May 11, 2016 5:31 PM

Stewart seemed to get the most positive comments out of that review.

by Anonymousreply 6May 11, 2016 6:21 PM

Stewart was good in Clouds of Sils Maria...but maybe her persona just worked for that movie/role. That said, I haven't really enjoyed a WA film since the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 7May 11, 2016 6:27 PM

It looks pretty and the costumes and lovely.

by Anonymousreply 8May 11, 2016 6:59 PM

At one point I felt like every leading man in a WA movie was just being instructed to do a WA impression. It felt bizarrely narcissistic.

by Anonymousreply 9May 16, 2016 1:50 AM

He should really just quit making movies. He hasn't grown as a director at all. He also isn't attracting any new viewers by refusing to put minorities and gays in his movies.

by Anonymousreply 10May 16, 2016 2:01 AM

[quote] He should really just quit making movies. He hasn't grown as a director at all. He also isn't attracting any new viewers by refusing to put minorities and gays in his movies.

MAD TV already showed what that would end up looking like:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11May 16, 2016 2:17 AM

I saw it this afternoon...SAVE YOUR MONEY. Every tired old cliche, shopworn plot lines and stock character is dusted off and slapped together. Starting with Jesse Eisenberg as the Woody stand in: the mannerisms, the same old speech patterns and "witticisms"--nobody, not even Woody, talks like this. Nebbishy hero smitten with quirky, syphlike girleen who breaks his heart but he just can't forget; the beyond stereotypical Jewish family (Jeannie Berlin is a horror!) The same old LA vs. New York schtick, the compulsory romantic kiss in Central Park against the skyline, set to "I'll Take Manhattan" and a dozen other 40s numbers; the overly cutesy/cliched 40s costuming and set decoration; and voiceovers by Woody Allen himself narrating a flashback montage or attempting to advance the plot. It was only an hour and a half, but it was torture to sit through. And I say this as someone who really liked Woody Allen in his prime. But "meh" doesn't begin to describe this drivel. Awful. Just awful. And sad.

by Anonymousreply 12July 29, 2016 10:33 PM

He'll never stop making movies even if he has to cast losers like Kristen Stewart. This guy lives to work. Anything to get away from his wife for months at a time, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 13July 29, 2016 10:43 PM

Jesse Eisenberg Need I say more?

by Anonymousreply 14July 29, 2016 10:46 PM

I just wonder who finances these things? It did have very lush sets, locations, antique cars and costumes. I know his actors don't get paid much (not that there are many big names in this project) but I can't believe this will break even. He cranks out one of these every single year, with only an occasional good one (BLUE JASMINE being the last).

Steve Carrell did not do his career any favors in this. And Kristen Stewart is just AWFUL. You want to slap her face.

by Anonymousreply 15July 29, 2016 11:00 PM

r15 That cheap JW Allen gave the costume designer, Suzy Benzinger, peanuts for a budget. Benzinger had to beg, borrow and steal for Blanchett's clothes in "Blue Jasmine." There are dozens of credits given to dozens of top designers who loaned clothes out for the film. Birkin put their foot down and he was forced to pay for the bag she carries in the film. Allen did the same thing (borrowing but never paying to rent or buy) to my friend's father on one of his films in the 1980s, but I can't discuss it because someone in the industry might pass it along.

by Anonymousreply 16July 31, 2016 12:02 AM

Eisenberg is just the worst.

Thread closed.

by Anonymousreply 17July 31, 2016 12:35 AM

Is Mr. Allen and his oeuvre relevant any more?

by Anonymousreply 18July 31, 2016 12:39 AM

[quote]ooooooohhhhhj really TROLLLLLL she can’t act????? that’s your more biggest pain in all world see that always she is aclaimed for her role. if you can’t see that is because your a hater that way every single day in every site to stewart GROWN UP , GET A LIFE AND LET TO BE A DEMON IN BASEMENT THAT SEE ALLL KRISTEN DO ITTTTT !!!!!!!! Oh a advice take anti-acid cause every year kristen gonna be bigger and better over and over and you gonna cry in EVERYYYYYY WEB SITE over and over again, she’s good actress winner so many awards and aclaimed for critics, learn to accept your fail.

And the crazy Kristen Stewart fans embarrass themselves in the comments section, as usual.

by Anonymousreply 19July 31, 2016 1:16 AM

Woody crawled up his own ass and died long ago.

by Anonymousreply 20July 31, 2016 1:33 AM

Fuck this pervert and his shit films.

by Anonymousreply 21July 31, 2016 1:36 AM

KS would have been better if they had put her in 30s makeup as opposed to the very natural 50s look. She appeared out of place visually. And the whole Allen Jewish context has run out of steam. The movie should have been titled: Hollywood Jews / New York Jews. I will probably go to the next WA movie as I kind of enjoy the long arc of his auteurship: The Pastiche of the Schlemiel.

by Anonymousreply 22July 31, 2016 2:26 AM

I love Jesse E.

by Anonymousreply 23July 31, 2016 2:43 AM

Looks like Jesse is holding together another marginal movie once again...

by Anonymousreply 24July 31, 2016 2:45 AM

Thanks for the heads-up, OP. I just pre-ordered the VOD from Amazon. It won't be available for awhile. I hope it won't be too long.

by Anonymousreply 25July 31, 2016 9:00 PM

r2 I actually thought that when she and Jesse met at that Mexican cantina that she was going to reveal she was a lesbian. Very strong vibe. Her acting was so cagey I thought the character was pulling a scam.

She and Jesse engaged in a good deal of "vibrating head" acting. I'm not sure what all that jiggling is supposed to represent. They were both just ...really bad. And Carell was his usual flat self when attempting to be serious.

All of the small parts were compelling, and New York looked beautiful.

I don't get why the three leads keep getting work. (Keep Carell away from dramas.) I know this thread is old, but I just want people to stop casting Jesse and Kristin. This is how important my opinion is.

by Anonymousreply 26November 17, 2016 1:23 AM

It's on Amazon Prime now. It's terrible.

by Anonymousreply 27February 21, 2017 11:29 PM

At least it answered the question no one was asking: What ever happened to Jeannie Berlin?

by Anonymousreply 28February 22, 2017 1:18 AM

Wow -- I thought this was a new thread for a new movie. I'm not sure it even played in my town. It sounds horrible. WA movies are now set it such a hermetically sealed world, that it is frustrating and annoying to watch them. He is so out of touch with people, and it shows in his movies. People still revere him, so he will continue to make movies, but his gift left a long time ago.

by Anonymousreply 29February 22, 2017 1:44 AM

I watched it last night. Holy shit - the writing was terrible! Typical Woody Allen lame New York one liners; "In Hollywood, they call a Danish a sweet roll !" Who cares? And the ending just happened. Honestly this morning I can't tell you how it ended it was that nondescript. There were kernels of a good story someplace in there but just really weak.

It looked good except for a few incongruities: hair and makeup not period, weird railings and light fixtures not in the right place.

by Anonymousreply 30February 23, 2017 4:07 PM

Midnight In Paris B+, Blue Jasmine B, Vicky Cristina Barcelona unrated, as I couldn't get through it, so pointless was it. Trustafarian travelogue. Won't bother with Cafe Society.

Names still sign up for him though. His 'filmography' is prodigious. Maybe good actors still think there's a one in five chance the next one will be memorable.

by Anonymousreply 31February 23, 2017 4:50 PM

They'll kiss his ass for the next one then trash the one after that.

by Anonymousreply 32February 23, 2017 4:53 PM

I started watching this on a plane a couple of months ago and gave up after ten minutes.

by Anonymousreply 33February 23, 2017 4:56 PM

R28, Jeannie Berlin was superb in the miniseries THE NIGHT OF with John Turturro and Riz Ahmed.

That being said, the film was probably the worst Woody Allen film of this era - it was stale and filled with truly awful cliches - and rip-offs of his much better work - the New Year's scene was a pale imitation of his glorious RADIO DAYS finale, Kristin Stewart did not bother me too much but Steve Carell and Jesse Eisenberg were awful. I hope his next film is better. I did not see his Amazon series with Joy Behar, I guess that died a quick death as well.

by Anonymousreply 34February 23, 2017 5:03 PM

I thought there was a kernel of a good film in the scene with Eisenberg and the prostitute played by Anna Camp. They should have made a film about those two characters.

by Anonymousreply 35February 23, 2017 5:33 PM

I gave up on watching this after giving it about 30 minutes. I think it proves that casting is everything and this cast was lacking. Irrational Man had the same problem - Joaquin Phoenix as a philosophy professor?!

by Anonymousreply 36February 23, 2017 6:48 PM

Pedo Woody couldn't decide if this was a Hollywood ingenue story or a Brooklyn gang story or a Manhattan society story or a life of a movie star story or a rags to riches story or a sweet hooker story or a love triangle on and on. But of course he had a young woman being grotesquely seduced by a gross older man story because that's what he knows.

by Anonymousreply 37February 23, 2017 7:13 PM

Kristen Stewart gets so much undeserved hate. I don't care what anyone says, I think she's a great actress (even the most talented actors couldn't get through the Twilight movies unscathed). Love the onscreen pairing of her and Jesse Eisenberg, whose mannerisms reminded me of a young Woody Allen from 'Manhattan'.

It's not a great film, but it's enjoyable enough despite its familiarity.

by Anonymousreply 38March 23, 2019 2:00 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!