Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Having a bad day? Be Grateful You're Not Mrs. Helmus.

This news item appeared in the May 21, 1904 Washington DC Police blotter in the Evening Star.

Which one of you bitches threw a cucumber at Mrs. Helmus? My money is on Bessie Hawkins, shortly before Mrs. Helmus went to fetch her hatchet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39August 4, 2018 9:29 PM

We can rule-out Charles Swan & Benjamin Helmus, as they were still in jail for using foul language while being Black. Plus they were arrested in Albany in 1857, but you can't be too careful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 11, 2016 12:34 AM

I threw it.

by Anonymousreply 2May 11, 2016 1:00 AM

Here's what I think happened:

Dr. John Milton Gifterman, of 201 2d Street, treated Mr. Satree Lamonagoe, an Italian of no known address, for a concussion received yesterday when Bessie Hawkins, of 13-1/2 Street NW, caused a board to fall from a great height onto Mr. Lamonagoe's head. It seems that Miss. Hawkins was distraught to have learned that Mr. Lamonagoe had recently taken-up with Mrs. Helmus of 10th and B Streets. The details so disgusted the attending physician, that he went to the market to purchase a pickle to throw at Mrs. Helmus, which he did forthwith. Mrs. Helmus, assuming that she was pickled by Miss Hawkins, attacked her with a hatchet later that day. Charles H. Lincoln initially offered an ironclad alibi for Dr. Gifterman, but later recanted. All were arrested.

by Anonymousreply 3May 11, 2016 1:19 AM

It's awfully sporting of the newspaper to provide their readers with the addresses of the complainants, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 4May 11, 2016 12:57 PM

[quote] ...Charles H. Lincoln initially offered an ironclad alibi for Dr. Gifterman [italic]in exchange for an opium tonic, [/italic]but later recanted. All were arrested.

Fixed it.

by Anonymousreply 5May 11, 2016 1:15 PM

How is Mrs. Helmus doing? I'd heard she's taken to bed with the vapors.

by Anonymousreply 6May 11, 2016 1:24 PM

I don't know, R6, but I hope she's not seeing Dr. Gifterman!

In lieu of thoughts and prayers, you can send flowers and gifts to her address at 10th and B Streets, DC.

by Anonymousreply 7May 11, 2016 1:38 PM

Love it!

by Anonymousreply 8May 11, 2016 1:47 PM

I wonder what Mr. Helmus thinks about all of this? Has he been ruled out as a suspect?

by Anonymousreply 9May 11, 2016 2:58 PM

It was me. I was bored.

by Anonymousreply 10May 11, 2016 3:20 PM

[quote] It was me. I was bored. Love, Pres. TR.

Pres. TR, doesn't Mount Rushmore count for anything? Let's see. It's Washingtin, Lincoln, Jefferson, and...and... TR!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11May 11, 2016 5:16 PM

Correction: in yesterday's edition, Mrs. Helmus, a German woman living at 10th and B Streets, was reported to have been pickled by Dr. John Milton Gifterman, residing at 201 2d Street. In fact, she was cucumbered, not pickled. We regret the error.

by Anonymousreply 12May 12, 2016 1:14 AM

Just for the record, OP denies any involvement with the cucumber assault on Mrs. Helmus. I can certainly think of better things to do with a cucumber.

by Anonymousreply 13May 12, 2016 3:25 PM

Clearly it was Radical Muslim Terrorists, if they hadn't been so afraid to say those words then, we wouldn't be having these problems today.

by Anonymousreply 14May 12, 2016 4:16 PM

B Street is now Constitution Ave.

by Anonymousreply 15May 12, 2016 4:24 PM

Ah, yes, R14! Thus as it always was! Those Mohammedans will be the end of the Republic!

by Anonymousreply 16May 12, 2016 7:01 PM

I could not have thrown cucumber. I was just little girl! Yet coworker Beth Ann Hawkins gives me cucumber every Christmas, plus stinkeye.

I refuse to look at her.

by Anonymousreply 17May 12, 2016 7:35 PM

Vivian Vance is currently leading in the poll, but I am a little skeptical.

by Anonymousreply 18May 12, 2016 8:01 PM

Here is a Marriage & Death Notice for Isaac in the September 20, 1806 Weekly Visitant of Salem, Massachusetts, poor fellow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19May 12, 2016 11:15 PM

Ok Svetlana, we'll take your word for it.

by Anonymousreply 20May 13, 2016 12:51 AM

I had a cucumber thrown at me today.

by Anonymousreply 21May 24, 2016 11:01 PM

Sounds like lezzie drama.

by Anonymousreply 22May 24, 2016 11:10 PM

I think it was shitty little Ann. Cucumbers repeat on her.

Were any cucumbers broken in the alleged incident?

by Anonymousreply 23May 24, 2016 11:17 PM

There were some smashed cucumbers, yes.

by Anonymousreply 24May 24, 2016 11:59 PM

I BLAME THE T!!!

by Anonymousreply 25May 25, 2016 2:51 AM

It was Father O'Reilly, he's taken to the bottle again!

by Anonymousreply 26May 25, 2016 8:06 PM

Father O'Reilly was just reassigned to a Baltimore parish. No one seems to know if it was already planned before the incident or not, but it looks very suspicious.

by Anonymousreply 27May 27, 2016 2:25 AM

BREAKING ***** BREAKING ***** BREAKING

There has been a rash of cucumber assaults reported in DC, NYC, and LA in the last hundred and twelve years and the threat is growing. Flyover land is under threat [italic]eventually, [/italic]the CDC in Atlanta reports. People with a history of histrionics are particularly susceptible. Officials say the pandemic is worse in Mid-August when everybody and their brother are trying to give away their excess cucumbers and heirloom tomatoes from their backyard Victory Gardens. You are reminded, if you see something, for God's sake, say something!

by Anonymousreply 28May 29, 2016 4:52 AM

This is a DISGRACE! And they never convicted the perp, which is another DISGRACE!

by Anonymousreply 29September 5, 2016 3:30 AM

Cucumber bump!

by Anonymousreply 30January 12, 2017 5:04 PM

It was Helen Lawson. She was 10 years old back in '04.

by Anonymousreply 31February 8, 2017 10:29 PM

I find it interesting that they point out the fact that some of the alleged miscreants are blacks and Italians but don't do so for others. Everyone else is referred to by just name or Mr. or Mrs. I think that practice in some newspapers persisted until not too long ago.

by Anonymousreply 32February 8, 2017 10:39 PM

The one that interested me at OP's link was Bessie Hawkins who had "scalp wounds and an injury to her face." "Her explanation of the injuries was that another woman had assaulted her with a hatchet."

My D.C. in those days was as rough as Florida today.

by Anonymousreply 33February 8, 2017 10:44 PM

I can't believe you people think Mrs. Helmus cucumbered herself. Obviously it was Dr. John Milton Gifterman.

by Anonymousreply 34February 8, 2017 11:34 PM

WHO THROWED THAT CUCUMBER AT ME?

by Anonymousreply 35February 9, 2017 12:47 AM

Has this been submitted to Websleuths? Hasn't Mrs. Helmus gone without justice long enough??

by Anonymousreply 36March 7, 2017 4:23 AM

Mrs. Helmus always wanted a facial

by Anonymousreply 37August 3, 2018 7:37 PM

It was I!

by Anonymousreply 38August 3, 2018 8:21 PM

R38, Not guilty by virtue of good grammar.

by Anonymousreply 39August 4, 2018 9:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!