Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Forgotten movie stars

The thead on Anna May Wong got me thinking on other now forgotten movie stars ....

Nils Asther - Swedish silent star, gay?

Anton Walbrook - perfect as Lermontov in Powell's The Red Shoes in 1948.

Kay Kendall - maybe because she died so young in 1959, her two with Cukor (Les Girls) and Minnelli (The Reluctant Debutante with husband Rex Harrison + Sandra Dee & John Saxon & Dame Angela in bitch mode) are still delicious fun now, plus the British comedy Genevieve.

by Anonymousreply 448September 19, 2018 7:12 PM

John Gilbert, another silent star and Garbo's lover - was his voice wrong for sound ?

Ramon Novarro - the silent Ben Hur in 1925, killed by hustlers in late 60s.

by Anonymousreply 1April 28, 2016 1:33 PM

Novarro was also gay of course - good with Garbo in Mata Hari in 1931, his voice was ok so surely he should have had a longer career.

by Anonymousreply 2April 28, 2016 1:34 PM

Thomas Gomez, character actor from Ride the Pink Horse and Key Largo.

by Anonymousreply 3April 28, 2016 1:40 PM

I saw Gomez just yesterday in a Dale Robertson (my first movie crush) western "The Gambler From Natchez" with lovely Debra Paget. He was also amusing in "the Conqueror" with Wayne and Susan Hayward - he was more a character actor than a star though.

by Anonymousreply 4April 28, 2016 1:49 PM

John Gilbert's voice was fine for sound , he was sabotaged by LB Mayer who gave him shitty scripts (save one Gilbert wrote himself, 1932's Downstairs which isn't a bad film) His old flame Garbo came to the rescue and demanded that he costar with her in Queen Christina after some newcomer named Laurence Olivier's screen test was a dud. He died a few years later. Sad..

more forgotten stars:

William Haines

Marion Davies

Jean Peters

Virginia Grey

Johnny Mack Brown

Kay Francis

The Lane sisters

by Anonymousreply 5April 28, 2016 2:00 PM

Alice Faye

Janet Gaynor

Annabella

Sonja Henie

Charles Farrell

The Ritz Brothers

Bobby Breen

Simone Simon

by Anonymousreply 6April 28, 2016 2:06 PM

Ann Dvorak

Gale Sondergaard

Louis Hayward

Ann Sothern

Charlotte Greenwood

Marie Wilson

Wheeler and Woolsey

Olympe Bradna

Robert Sterling

Eddie Bracken

by Anonymousreply 7April 28, 2016 2:13 PM

Eddie Bracken is a good choice - I can't bear him, the Jerry Lewis of his era?

Charles Farrell was a great discovery in The River recently, I had never seen him before. At least he ended up the mayor of Palm Springs.

Danny Kaye seems very forgotten now. Like Jerry Lewis that kind of humour has not lasted.

by Anonymousreply 8April 28, 2016 2:38 PM

Frederic March

Alice Faye

Robert Taylor

Paul Henreid

Eddie Cantor

by Anonymousreply 9April 28, 2016 3:06 PM

Betty Grable. The biggest female star of the 1940s. Had an uninterrupted run as a top 10 box office star from 1942 to 1951, something no other star before or since accomplished, not even Doris Day - but Day was #1 for several years, while Grable was #1 only once (in 1943).

The problem is that most of her films are very forgettable. She's usually the best thing in them.

by Anonymousreply 10April 28, 2016 3:13 PM

George Brent was once considered a major leading man in films, appearing opposite Bette Davis, Barbara Stanwyck, Claudette Colbert, Greta Garbo, Myrna Loy, Joan Fontaine, Ginger Rogers, Merle Oberon, Jean Arthur, etc. Among his five wives were Ruth Chatterton and Ann Sheridan.

by Anonymousreply 11April 28, 2016 3:17 PM

Thank God, Danny Kaye is considered forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 12April 28, 2016 3:19 PM

If you watch "Summer Stock" closely, Judy nearly breaks up on camera from Eddie Bracken's antics during their scenes together.

by Anonymousreply 13April 28, 2016 3:21 PM

Great thread. I couldn't bear Eddie Bracken either - all he could do was yodel. I always said that if Ronald Reagan hadn't entered politics he'd be another Eddie Bracken. The story of John Gilbert's fall was that Garbo stood him up at their planned wedding at Marion Davies' Beverly Hills mansion (where JFK stayed in 1960 when he got the Democratic Presidential nomination). LB Mayer made a sarcastic remark, and Gilbert punched him in the face and broke his glasses. Quite unwise.

by Anonymousreply 14April 28, 2016 3:22 PM

R9, if Fredric March hadn't made "Best Years of Our Lives" he'd be totally forgotten. (The big Oscar shame with that movie is Myrna Loy wasn't nominated.)

If Luise Rainer hadn't lived as long as she did she'd be more of a "forgotten" person. But she'll always be at the top of the "Undeserved Oscar" list. And if she hadn't won the two Oscars she would be squarely on the forgotten list.

by Anonymousreply 15April 28, 2016 3:25 PM

I'm still going with George O'Brien.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 28, 2016 3:26 PM

[quote] [R9], if Fredric March hadn't made "Best Years of Our Lives" he'd be totally forgotten. (The big Oscar shame with that movie is Myrna Loy wasn't nominated.)

What about Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, for which he won an Oscar?

by Anonymousreply 17April 28, 2016 3:29 PM

Who remembers Letch Feeley?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 28, 2016 3:44 PM

Here are a few names that were more recently huge, but will be largely forgotten in just a few years:

Hillary Swank Geena Davis Annette Bening Jon Claude Van Damme William Hurt Dennis Quaid

by Anonymousreply 19April 28, 2016 3:50 PM

Here are a few names that were more recently huge, but will be largely forgotten in just a few years:

Hillary Swank

Geena Davis

Annette Bening

Jon Claude Van Damme

William Hurt

Dennis Quaid

by Anonymousreply 20April 28, 2016 3:51 PM

Betty Grable movies are not seen much these days,, apart from How To Marry A Millionaire - unlike Monroe she did not work with top directors or initiate projects. Its fun seeing her though in those old Fox musicals with Alice Faye and Carmen Miranda.

by Anonymousreply 21April 28, 2016 3:52 PM

Norman Foster

Glenda Farrell

Colleen Moore

Eric Linden

Rod LaRocque

Ricardo Cortez

Antonio Moreno

Gilbert Roland

Bebe Daniels

Ben Lyon

Mae Murray

Charles Buddy Rogers

Richard Arlen

by Anonymousreply 22April 28, 2016 3:52 PM

Veronica Lake

Linda Darnell

Gene Tierney (apart from Laura).

by Anonymousreply 23April 28, 2016 3:53 PM

Rosanna Podesta (who was 'Helen of Troy' in 1956)

Silvana Mangano

Monica Vitti - star of the arty Italian Antonioni films in the 1960s and later became a popular comedienne in Italy, in her 80s now it seems she has been in seclusion with Alzheimers for some years.

by Anonymousreply 24April 28, 2016 3:57 PM

Pier Angeli - and her sister Marisa Pavan

Inger Stevens

Gia Scala

(Pier, Inger & Gia all committed suicide).

by Anonymousreply 25April 28, 2016 3:58 PM

Helen Lawson

Vera Charles

by Anonymousreply 26April 28, 2016 3:59 PM

I like Rosanna as Helen of Troy, she's very sweet, she had a reasonable career mainly in Europe, and died a few years ago. Her Paris in Helen of Troy, Jacques Sernas, died last year.

by Anonymousreply 27April 28, 2016 4:01 PM

English actor Stanley Baker who died too young, in his 40s.

Laurence Harvey too though a lot of his movies are still around.

by Anonymousreply 28April 28, 2016 4:02 PM

Car crash victims Francoise Dorleac, aged 25 in 1967, she was Catherine Deneuve's sister and could have had as big a career - and English bombshell Belinda Lee, also 25, and killed in 1961 - she did several British movies and European sword-and-sandal movies which did have a cult following.

by Anonymousreply 29April 28, 2016 4:05 PM

Mabel Normand. She was the original star of Chaplin's films and a wonderful comedienne, also had her own production company, before it was the thing to do. Was good friends with Olive Thomas, who married Jack Pickford, Mary Pickford's brother. Thomas died in Paris, of an overdose of what is thought to have been the mercury pills for Jack's syphilis. Unknown if it was suicide. Thomas and Normand were really into cocaine and morphine.

Was involved in the scandal of William Taylor Desmond, who was shot, and either Normand did it, or Mary Miles Minter or her mother did it. MMM was another forgotten actress, supposed to have been competition for Mary Pickford.

by Anonymousreply 30April 28, 2016 4:06 PM

*Sorry that was William Desmond Taylor. I was thinking of Norma Desmond, whose character name is a nod.

by Anonymousreply 31April 28, 2016 4:09 PM

Was William Haines really a movie star - I have never seen any of his movies revived anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 32April 28, 2016 4:10 PM

More George O'Brien

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33April 28, 2016 4:15 PM

Yes, William Haines was a huge movie star, R32, at the time. I've seen several of his films in silent revival festivals, so they do exist, but they aren't going to get the same play as other silents, like anything with Louise Brooks, or made by Chaplin.

The film they used at the time disintegrated very quickly, and during the early years film, his heyday, film was seen as disposable. Why would anyone want to see an old picture when there are new ones, they thought. Plus, I think there was effort to ensure his pictures didn't make it. He refused a movie career for ANOTHER MAN.

He went on to have huge impact as an interior designer. He did all-white rooms first. It's a cliche now, but was a revelation back then. Carole Lombard always said he and Jimmy had the best marriage in Hollywood, and he had a wonderful second act, designing and loving/being loved.

by Anonymousreply 34April 28, 2016 4:18 PM

R32, if you currently have the world view that X cannot be popular because you've never seen it, well, maybe it is time to use just a wee bit of curiosity and go to YOUTUBE. Here is a link to one of his short films, of which he made many.

I bet you won't watch it because "silent movies are boooooring".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35April 28, 2016 4:21 PM

Full Length William Haines "The Marines Are Coming", with Conrad Nagel, who deflowered Joan Fontaine, according to her memoir "No Bed of Roses".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36April 28, 2016 4:24 PM

Who remembers Turhan Bey, once known by his fans as "The Turkish Delight"?

by Anonymousreply 37April 28, 2016 6:06 PM

Gilbert Roland was so sexy. Why was he always a character man and never a leading man?

by Anonymousreply 38April 28, 2016 6:13 PM

Laraine Day

Ruth Hussey

Virginia Weidler

Bob Burns

Judy Canova

Fred Allen

Estelle Winwood

Will Rogers (once the most popular man in America, now he's all but forgotten except for the airport named after him)

Irene Manning

Faye Emerson

Gloria Warren (WB' s answer to Deanna Durbin who made a couple of films then retired from movies to start a family)

Robert Hutton

Dane Clark

Joyce Reynolds

Pola Negri

by Anonymousreply 39April 28, 2016 6:35 PM

Norman Maine

by Anonymousreply 40April 28, 2016 7:42 PM

Oh r 18, I certainly remember Letch Feeley.

by Anonymousreply 41April 28, 2016 7:51 PM

Neely O'Hara

by Anonymousreply 42April 28, 2016 7:57 PM

Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle

by Anonymousreply 43April 28, 2016 7:58 PM

[R41] Then you reemember me, joo beetch!

by Anonymousreply 44April 28, 2016 8:23 PM

W. C. Fields. He was one of the biggest rediscoveries in the big "Nostalgia boom' of the ear. '70s, and "My Little Chickadee" was hailed as one of the great classic comedies of all time. Now Fields is back to being forgotten and "Chickadee" now seems very creaky - neither West nor Fields are at their best.

by Anonymousreply 45April 28, 2016 8:34 PM

Martha Raye.

by Anonymousreply 46April 28, 2016 8:38 PM

Karen Stone

All washed up and hanging with her lesbian Mistress, Meg Bishop

by Anonymousreply 47April 28, 2016 8:42 PM

I don't see the point of this thread. Flame is fleeting, all the more so in 2016.

Even the most famous actors of the 20th century are unknown to people under 25. Katharine Hepburn, Cary Grant, Marilyn Monroe, Elizabeth Taylor, Clark Gable, et. al.

by Anonymousreply 48April 28, 2016 8:45 PM

most of these stars are not forgotten if you watch a lot of TCM

by Anonymousreply 49April 28, 2016 9:44 PM

r39 how can someone be "forgotten" if there is an airport named after them?

by Anonymousreply 50April 28, 2016 10:05 PM

I tried to watch a Pola Negri film recently - "A Woman Commands" - its laughably unwatchable now. Gi ve me Norma Desmond any day !

by Anonymousreply 51April 28, 2016 10:08 PM

Mary Eaton, former Ziegfeld Girl and early-talkies star best remembered for "Glorifying The American Girl" and the first Marx Bros. film "The Cocoanuts".

She's at 1:12 - 1:36 in this clip. Very beautiful face and smile--she reminds me of a young Stevie Nicks. By the way, the lady in red at the end of the clip as another forgotten silent star, Mae Murray, "The Girl With The Bee-Stung Lips".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52April 28, 2016 10:18 PM

George O'Brien had a nice batch.

by Anonymousreply 53April 28, 2016 10:26 PM

Fabulous clip r52! Beautiful evocation of the innocent early 1920s mystique before The Flapper became all the rage in 1925.

Mae Murray was a huge star, rival to Gloria Swanson and Pola Negri.

by Anonymousreply 54April 28, 2016 10:29 PM

Pola had one last throw of the dice in Disney's 'The Moonspinners' in 1964, in that scene with Hayley Mills! She was incomprehensible there too.

by Anonymousreply 55April 28, 2016 10:35 PM

Should Betty Grable really be part of this "forgotten" list? Her name --or at least her image -- comes up any time the 1940's are even mentioned. I think she is firmly established as a symbol of that era.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56April 28, 2016 10:36 PM

Yes r56, but her films are not any good.

by Anonymousreply 57April 28, 2016 10:43 PM

1940s/1950s actors (usually cowboys) Rory Calhoun and Guy Madison - and it seems they were real pally off-screen too ..... Rory worked with Grable and Monroe while Guy was too sexy. According to the gossip Rory used to fuck Guy a lot despite both being married.

Kerwin Matthews was a real attractive guy and lived with a male partner for decades. He died a while back.

by Anonymousreply 58April 28, 2016 10:48 PM

I want the clothes in the color film clip!

by Anonymousreply 59April 28, 2016 10:51 PM

Rory and Guy were part of agent Henry Willson's stable of young gay actors. He kept tight rein on them and wouldn't allow two guys to live together or even eat out - there had to be a third one along to keep it innocent looking. and of course he married off Rock Hudson to his secretary Phyllis Gates (seemingly a lesbian) for a year or so to defer rumours about Rock.

by Anonymousreply 60April 28, 2016 10:51 PM

Ah r47 I get it - The Roman Spring of Mrs Stone ! Love that movie, esp Lotte Lenya as La Contessa with her stable of young beauties. Vivien of course sketched her deperation perfectly, almost a caricature of her real self. It seems Tennessee wanted Katharine Hepburn for the role, but Kate had already played the love-starved woman in Italy falling for a handsome man in Summertime in 1955, so would hardly have repeated herself.

by Anonymousreply 61April 28, 2016 10:55 PM

r58 wasn't Rory Calhoun an ex-criminal, like Robert Mitchum - in prison for some drug bust or the like? Maybe he picked up a liking for gay sex there ...

by Anonymousreply 62April 28, 2016 10:58 PM

There's a chapter in the bio about Henry Wilson where Rory is making a lot of noise fucking Guy in a car. So hot!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63April 28, 2016 11:31 PM

She certainly does resemble Stevie.

by Anonymousreply 64April 28, 2016 11:31 PM

Austrian actor Anton Walbrook, popular in the 1940s, was also gay. He and Kay Kendall, whom the OP also mentions, are buried near each other in a lovely old cemetry in Hampstead, North London. Its a popular spot for actors to spend eternity. Gladys Cooper and others are also there.

by Anonymousreply 65April 29, 2016 4:52 AM

Walter Brennan

Andy Devine

Flora Robson

Woody Strode

by Anonymousreply 66April 29, 2016 4:58 AM

Jeanne Eagels

Jean Harlow

Deloros del Rio

Lupe Velez

by Anonymousreply 67April 29, 2016 5:03 AM

Has Jack Carson been mentioned?

by Anonymousreply 68April 29, 2016 5:05 AM

Norma Shearer is a perfect example. Back in the 30s, she was bigger than Katharine Hepburn, Bette Davis and Joan Crawford. Now all three of them are still very much remembered. But hardly anybody remembers Shearer

by Anonymousreply 69April 29, 2016 5:05 AM

R3, R4, if you like Thomas Gomez try to find Force of Evil with John Garfield, he plays Garfield's brother who's a small time crook, Garfield is a crooked lawyer, and Marie Windsor is...Marie Windsor.

I love Betty Grable movies, loopiness in Techinicolor with singing and dancing, I'm there. Alice Faye, as well.

I have a cd of Pola Negri songs, enjoy them quite a bit. I love over-emotive tango music, especially sung in German. So Wunderbar! Negri left Germany while taking a "routine" vacation from UFA and left all her things behind in order to get away.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70April 29, 2016 6:01 AM

Wallace Reid was a handsome and hugely popular silent film star whose addiction to morphine led to his premature death at the age of 31.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71April 29, 2016 6:06 AM

Sessue Hayakawa was another popular silent screen star and a rare example of an early Asian heartthrob, before Hollywood jumped on the "yellow peril" bandwagon and desexualized the Asian male image in the media. He made a brief comeback in the '50s with "Bridge on the River Kwai."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72April 29, 2016 6:13 AM

Charles Coburn. Wonderful character actor Leon Errol, ditto.

by Anonymousreply 73April 29, 2016 6:46 AM

[quote]I saw Thomas Gomez just yesterday in a Dale Robertson (my first movie crush) western "The Gambler From Natchez" with lovely Debra Paget. He was also amusing in "the Conqueror" with Wayne and Susan Hayward - he was more a character actor than a star though.

That's true, though I never really funny understood what a character actor vs star is. Are stars never character actors?

by Anonymousreply 74April 29, 2016 7:04 AM

Charles Bickford

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75April 29, 2016 7:11 AM

I don't know how forgotten he is, but I always thought Robert Ryan was really sexy for some reason (especially in his boxing picture, The Set Up). Yeah, I know he was an alcoholic. Nobody's perfect.

by Anonymousreply 76April 29, 2016 7:17 AM

Edward Everett Horton

Sir Cedric Hardwicke

Jack Hawkins

Donald Pleasence

Terry-Thomas

C. Aubrey Smith

John Williams

by Anonymousreply 77April 29, 2016 7:20 AM

Anna Sten. MGM tried to make another Garbo out of her and she bombed big time...

by Anonymousreply 78April 29, 2016 8:32 AM

Shelley Hack

by Anonymousreply 79April 29, 2016 9:17 AM

Eva Bartok

by Anonymousreply 80April 29, 2016 9:20 AM

Sterling Hayden, another Robert Ryan type but less menacing.. He went from starring with Bette in The Star to Joan Crawford in Johnny Guitar. Bet he could have told a few tales ... he starred in Huston's The Asphalt Jungle too.

Stars become character actors as they age - if they are lucky and can accept smaller parts. - like Hayden did in films like Altman's The Long Goodbye.

by Anonymousreply 81April 29, 2016 9:41 AM

Jack Hawkins is still well-remembered here in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 82April 29, 2016 9:42 AM

Melvyn Douglas - 30s leading man (with Garbo in Ninotchka and Two Faced Woman) who grew into older character actor in films like Billy Budd and Hud.

Fredric March too.

by Anonymousreply 83April 29, 2016 9:44 AM

Jean Arthur and Irene Dunne.

by Anonymousreply 84April 29, 2016 10:36 AM

r68: I love Jack Carson - he could do any film genre: women's pictures, crime dramas, noir, musicals, comedies, westerns - and do each one superbly. He was also one of the best liked actors on the Warner's lot, and when he was lent to MGM for DANGEROUS WHEN WET, Esther Williams went crazy for him. He had a long affair with Doris Day (he was her mentor in filming from her debut in ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS) and after the affair ended they remained lifelong friends.

by Anonymousreply 85April 29, 2016 10:51 AM

This thread is pointless. Should we have to remember every obscure thespian who died decades ago? Even some of the "stars" from golden age Hollywood were very much overrated and not really worthy of mention these days.

by Anonymousreply 86April 29, 2016 10:54 AM

Vivian Vance

by Anonymousreply 87April 29, 2016 11:01 AM

Shut up r86 and get out of the fucking thread if you've got nothing positive to say.

by Anonymousreply 88April 29, 2016 11:01 AM

Keir Dullea

by Anonymousreply 89April 29, 2016 11:32 AM

Sam Levene

by Anonymousreply 90April 29, 2016 11:44 AM

Cecil Kellaway

by Anonymousreply 91April 29, 2016 11:54 AM

Jean Harlow

Carol Lombard

Veronica Lake

Steve Guttenberg

Meg Ryan

Elizabeth Berkeley

Kristen Scott Thomas

Melanie Griffith

Sam Worthington

Edward Furlong

Nick Stahl

Joey Lauren Adams

by Anonymousreply 92April 29, 2016 12:13 PM

Kristin Scott Thomas still appears in films both in French and English.

by Anonymousreply 93April 29, 2016 12:17 PM

Michael Biehn

Linda Hamilton

Linda Kozlowski

Annabelle Sciorra

Rachel Ticontin

Laura Sangiacomo

Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio (?)...was in Perfect Storm w Clooney.

Rosanna Arquette

Richard Grieco

Craig Schaffer...was in A River Runs Through It, with Brad Pitt

by Anonymousreply 94April 29, 2016 12:24 PM

Michael Schoeffling, from Sixteen Candles fame

Steve Sandvoss

Scott Wolf

Neve Campbell

Jason Priestley & Luke Perry

by Anonymousreply 95April 29, 2016 12:29 PM

Anne Marie from Brewster Heiress Richard Mary from Tale of Twin Cities Fetching Waters from Garden of Dust Earl Grey from House of Tea Carly Cruz from Snowball in Hell Pussy Liquore from O'Keefe's Flower Palin Bristol from Enough Already Saylor Twift from Hating Haters Hate Robert Downey Sr. from Tin Man Donny Trump from Truth Shall,Lose Noel Onsteen from Jesus is Pretend Michael Ripa from Who Cares Faye Dunaway

by Anonymousreply 96April 29, 2016 12:42 PM

[quote] Keir Dullea

Gone tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 97April 29, 2016 12:42 PM

Here's your answer about Nils Asther, OP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98April 29, 2016 1:20 PM

Eleanor Parker - big star late 40's/early 50's, last appeared in thankless role as "Elsa the Countess" in "The Sound of Music," though both her songs from the Broadway version were cut for the movie. Nominated several times for Best Actress Oscars, but never won. Just seems to have faded away.

Irene Dunne has been mentioned, but I can't think of another actress who did it all: musicals, dramas, comedy, character parts. Big name in her day, practically typified the 30's, then married a mogul in Texas, as I recall, and never did anything else. (Of course, by that time, she had been doing only character roles; so I don't blame her.)

Ginger Rogers - barely any mention of her nowadays, except in conjunction with Fred Astaire, and no one cares about her "dramatic" side, even though she did win an Oscar for "Kitty Foyle."

(But then, Cliff Robertson also won an Oscar, and, like, who the fuck cares?)

Joan Fontaine - pretty big in her day, but major roles didn't last long, and she balked at character parts

by Anonymousreply 99April 29, 2016 1:32 PM

Also, come to think of him:

Kevin Costner - big star, director, producer. Won Oscars. (Though never for acting....) Who thinks of him now?

by Anonymousreply 100April 29, 2016 1:34 PM

I always forget Eleanor Parker in any lists of film stars.

Vera Miles now in seclusion, in her 80s (like Martha Hyer was until her recent death) but she will always be remembered for her 2 Ford and 2 Hitchcock films.

by Anonymousreply 101April 29, 2016 1:38 PM

Thanks r98 for the Nils info. Alton Walbrook has a similar page ..... another gay european actor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102April 29, 2016 1:39 PM

Joel Mccrea. I love his low-key, funny characters from when he was young. One of my favorite movies is The More The Merrier with Joel, Jean Arthur, and Charles Coburn. The plot is corny and tortured, but who cares! The acting is fun, as are the sets and the costumes. It is my dream to have those white, ruffly, swoopy curtains so popular in the 40s. They're in Mrs. Minniver, too!

by Anonymousreply 103April 29, 2016 3:36 PM

Has anyone mentioned Constance Bennett? Huge star in the 30s and very well paid. It was highly publicised that she made 30,000 dollars a week. Sister Joan's career was probably even bigger.

by Anonymousreply 104April 29, 2016 4:12 PM

Yes, Constance Bennett as well as Kay Francis, Ann Harding and Ruth Chatterton were the biggest female stars of the early talkies. All retired or reduced to supporting character roles by the end of the decade. So it's no wonder they're all completely forgotten today, 85 years later.

by Anonymousreply 105April 29, 2016 10:38 PM

The difference between a star and a character actor:

A star is a larger than life personality who always plays himself/herself. Think Gable, Hepburn, Grant, Crawford, Monroe.

A character actor plays the character.

Though come to think of it, most of the best character actors always played the same character. Think Thelma Ritter, Lionel Barrymore, Walter Brennan, Eve Arden.

Bette Davis proudly called herself a character actor.

Discuss.

by Anonymousreply 106April 29, 2016 10:44 PM

Jean Harlow forgotten?

Hardly.

by Anonymousreply 107April 29, 2016 10:52 PM

Carroll Baker

by Anonymousreply 108April 29, 2016 10:53 PM

If it were not for FOLLIES, one could say Alexis Smith.

by Anonymousreply 109April 29, 2016 10:55 PM

Yet one could still say Gene Nelson.

by Anonymousreply 110April 29, 2016 11:04 PM

[quote]A star is a larger than life personality who always plays himself/herself. Think Gable, Hepburn, Grant, Crawford, Monroe.

I always thought the difference between a star and a character actor is that the star can bring in the money, he is the BO draw. But it has little to do with whether they can act or not, whether they can convincingly become a character or not.

Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, Johnny Depp are (were) stars only, not character actors

Pacino, RDJ, De Niro, Bette Davis are stars and character actors

Paul Scofield, Edward Norton, Michelle Williams, Judi Dench are not stars but character actors

I think the line is very blurry

by Anonymousreply 111April 30, 2016 12:22 AM

Yvonne, dear . . . I enjoyed reading that passage in Frank Langella's book about you giving him a blow job in his dressing room and then followed up with a rendition of "I'm Still Here" in the early 1970's when you were both filming a television movie.

by Anonymousreply 112April 30, 2016 4:48 AM

Lol, didn't Tony Curtis have a similar passage about Yvonne in his book?

by Anonymousreply 113April 30, 2016 4:50 AM

Howard Keel

by Anonymousreply 114April 30, 2016 4:51 AM

AnnE Hathaway

by Anonymousreply 115April 30, 2016 4:57 AM

Jane Cowl

Ethel Barrymore

Merle Oberon

by Anonymousreply 116May 1, 2016 5:09 PM

As long as the elderqueeren are alive the ancient "stars" will never be forgotten. If only they could remember to wipe.

by Anonymousreply 117May 1, 2016 5:11 PM

Arthur Edmund Carewe

Norman Kerry

Leslie Banks

Robert Donat

by Anonymousreply 118May 1, 2016 5:19 PM

Wallace Reid's story is exceptionally sad. Once he was injured and hooked on morphine, there didn't seem to be any way out.

by Anonymousreply 119May 1, 2016 5:59 PM

[R118] - Oh yes, Robert Donat! He had the most beautiful eyes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120May 1, 2016 8:01 PM

Ann Harding - with the most "modern" acting style of the early 30s - miles ahead of other actresses.

by Anonymousreply 121May 1, 2016 8:03 PM

Jean Arthur. She is my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 122May 1, 2016 8:22 PM

Richard Barthelmess, Chester Morris, Madge Bellamy, Anita Page

by Anonymousreply 123May 1, 2016 8:25 PM

Madge Bellamy is forgotten, but at least one of her movies is watched and aired frequently: White Zombie. Which is a cult film because of Bela Lugosi's amazing performance.

by Anonymousreply 124May 1, 2016 8:27 PM

The beautiful Gardner McKay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125May 1, 2016 8:29 PM

Take me with you Gardner

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126May 1, 2016 8:30 PM

1950s English comedian Norman Wisdom. Always the downtrodden Cockney everyman, he was poignantly sweet and charming as he made his way through life's problems.

by Anonymousreply 127May 1, 2016 8:48 PM

Never heard of Gardner McKay, so that was a good example of forgotten. He looks quite yummy. I like this passage about how he was "discovered":

"He was spotted by Dominick Dunne, then a television producer for Twentieth Century Fox, who was searching for an actor to star in his planned Adventures in Paradise. Dunne put his business card on the table and said, "If you're interested in discussing a television series, call me."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128May 1, 2016 8:56 PM

Many of these are subjective. I doubt that any attendees at the TCM Classic Film Festival this weekend would agree with over 70% of these entries. R81, Hayden did tell his tales in Wanderer, his autobiography, which he followed with Voyage, a novel. R45, I love Fields in this clip, much less creaky than Chickadee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129May 1, 2016 9:40 PM

Thanks for the info. I just bought Sterling Hayden's book on Amazon Kindle. Three bucks.

by Anonymousreply 130May 1, 2016 9:58 PM

Francis Lederer, another beauty who eventually moved over to character roles, starred in German films first in the late 20's and then as the situation in Europe declined in the 30's he came to Hollywood, where he was in films for another four decades before making millions in real estate. He also taught acting in LA until the week he died at 100.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131May 1, 2016 10:00 PM

Who remembers Letch Feeley?

AKA Kurt Bieber...known more for the nude modelling he did with Jim French. He's on the left.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132May 1, 2016 10:01 PM

[quote]Oh yes, Robert Donat! He had the most beautiful eyes.

Robert Donat , Louis Jourdan and forgotten 80s actor Dale Midkiff look like they could all be brothers.

by Anonymousreply 133May 1, 2016 10:07 PM

Dick Powell - WB's musical leading man, reinvented himself as Noir tough guy, reinvented himself as TV star. Huge star in his day. Very savvy career actor married to June Allyson.

by Anonymousreply 134May 1, 2016 10:55 PM

Hot as fuck but was probably the craziest actor to have had a real shot. Lawrence Tierney. He has such a presence on screen that the studios kept giving him chance after chance. His crazy offscreen antics just got to the point where they couldn't hire him. If you have a chance to catch one of his movies you really should. He's mesmerizing on screen. He was just certifiably insane.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135May 1, 2016 11:47 PM

Cesar Romero

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136May 1, 2016 11:53 PM

Most of these were character actors and in no way stars that brought people in to the box office.

Two real HUGE stars that are forgotten by just about everyone except for TCM junkies are Lana Turner and Paul Muni.

You can't say you love movies and not have seen the original Postman Always Rings Twice and Scarface.

In fact though I haven't seen the remake of Scarface a friend tells me the whole incredible violent twisted incest scene at the end of the original film which is truly amazing doesn't exist in the Pacino version.

And Fields' The Bank Dick is one of the great American comedies and needs no excuse for age.

by Anonymousreply 137May 2, 2016 12:23 AM

R135, here's Tierney's younger brother Scott Brady (far left) in a special moment with Hugh O'Brian, Rock Hudson and Tony Curtis. Both Brady and youngest brother Edward Tierney were also in movies. Brady arguably was most successful of the three.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138May 2, 2016 12:25 AM

No. Lawerence was a lot more successful. He was in over 40 movies. His first five or so, before the start of his self inflicted downfall, were quite successful. Here's a good little clip of Lawrence. Go all the way to the end LOL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139May 2, 2016 12:29 AM

Rock looks a bit bewildered about being penetrated, in the background.

by Anonymousreply 140May 2, 2016 12:29 AM

Laura LaPlante

George Arliss

Marie Dressler

Jean Peters

Jeffrey Hunter

Jeanne Crain

Kay Francis

Margaret Sullavan

Robert Montgomery

Ralph Bellamy

Edmond O'Brien

Evelyn Keyes

by Anonymousreply 141May 2, 2016 12:29 AM

No way is Cesar forgotten, R136. Playing the Joker on Batman has made him immortal, no matter how much his earlier work is ignored.

by Anonymousreply 142May 2, 2016 12:31 AM

Margaret Sullavan is a good one. Recently I read her daughter's book HAYWIRE, a very good read, so I now have some knowledge of her. I can't name a movie of hers I've seen.

by Anonymousreply 143May 2, 2016 12:38 AM

The Shop Around the Corner with James Stewart and Margaret, directed by Ernst Lubitsch. You should see that one, R143.

by Anonymousreply 144May 2, 2016 12:56 AM

Thanks r144.

by Anonymousreply 145May 2, 2016 12:58 AM

Sullavan's version of Back Street was also good. She is great in it.

by Anonymousreply 146May 2, 2016 1:03 AM

What film is that photo with Rock and Hugh and Tony at r138 from?

by Anonymousreply 147May 2, 2016 1:04 AM

Margaret Sullavan is the perfect star for this thread. Huge in movies in the late 30s/early 40s, sort of similar to Kate Hepburn in her disdain of obvious glamour, and yet far more accessible to American audiences.

Married William Wyler, Henry Fonda and Leland Hayward (no slouches!) and often partnered onscreen with James Stewart, most memorably in Three Comrades and the aforementioned perfect romcom The Shop Around the Corner (basis for the musical She Loves Me).

by Anonymousreply 148May 2, 2016 1:11 AM

I have a VHS tape of Haywire from my late mother's collection. It was a TV miniseries with Lee Remick playing Margaret Sullavan. Any good? Not sure if my old VCR works.

Lee Remick also seems to be forgotten. She was a competent actress but so pretty. People used to say my Mom resembled her and Joanne Woodward. As you can imagine my grandmother loved The Long Hot Summer.

by Anonymousreply 149May 2, 2016 1:13 AM

Deborah Kerr

by Anonymousreply 150May 2, 2016 1:13 AM

Tierney was the better actor, R139, but Brady was more commercially successful since Tierney drank himself out of being a real contender. By the late 50's Tierney was reduced to bit and small supporting parts in TV and mostly B movies, then was briefly resurgent in the 80's as Sergeant Jenkins in Hill Street Blues, in a supporting part in Prizzi's Honor, and thanks to Tarantino for Reservoir Dogs in '92. Brady costarred or had strong supporting roles from the late 40's through the late 60's in mainstream stuff (Johnny Guitar, Gentlemen Marry Brunettes) and starred in westerns as well as in some grade Z stuff later. He also starred in his own series (Shotgun Slade) from 1959-1961. By the 70's both Brady and Tierney were doing roughly the same, relegated to the margins. Brady succumbed to pulmonary fibrosis in 1985.

R147, the picture is from a Modern Screen pictorial in September of 1951. Here's another pic of Brady.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151May 2, 2016 1:26 AM

Aldo Ray

Van Johnson

June Allyson

Jane Powell

Dorothy McGuire

by Anonymousreply 152May 2, 2016 1:38 AM

Lew Ayres

Constance Bennett

Franchot Tone

by Anonymousreply 153May 2, 2016 1:42 AM

Arletty

by Anonymousreply 154May 2, 2016 1:43 AM

Deborah Kerr was in one of the most famous kissing scenes in cinematic history.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155May 2, 2016 1:47 AM

In From Here to Eternity Deborah Kerr goes from Metro lady in waiting to bitch in heat.

by Anonymousreply 156May 2, 2016 2:05 AM

Don't call a lady a bitch R156!

by Anonymousreply 157May 2, 2016 3:32 AM

I saw Scott Brady in a really cheesy science fiction film. By then he was bloated and looked like an ugly Dad.

by Anonymousreply 158May 2, 2016 3:35 AM

Lew Ayers had a very interesting biography and worked for many years.

If you ever saw "Damien: Omen II" you can never forget him as Damien's very first victim in the film as the man trapped under the ice!

That was Lew Ayers!

by Anonymousreply 159May 2, 2016 3:42 AM

People like Lee Remick, Deorah Kerr or Jeffrey Huner are not forgotten, and still have their fan bases. Hunter will never be forgotten as the John Ford western classic "The Searchers" is always on somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 160May 2, 2016 4:43 AM

Joan Blondell is a example of a 1930s star (she sang "Remember my forgotten man" in Golddiggers of 1933) ageing into character parts, I like her as Katharine Hepburn' pal in Desk Set in 1957, or in the Steve McQueen The Cincinnatii Kid in 1965.

by Anonymousreply 161May 2, 2016 4:45 AM

Despite my love for old movies I have never seen Nils Asther in anything - the OP mentoned him.

Kay Kendall was indeed a marvellous glamorus comedienne - England's Carole Lombard? I could picture Kendall as Holly Golightly had she lived.

Lombard of course despite her cult following is forgotten by the general public too now, but how could it be otherwise, she died in 1942.

by Anonymousreply 162May 2, 2016 4:48 AM

Nils Asther was a very out gay for his time, according to Wikipedia - and was pals with Garbo, just like the equally out William Haines was pals with Crawford. Most of these female stars must have had lots of gay close friends as confidantes who were closer to them than straight guys.

by Anonymousreply 163May 2, 2016 4:52 AM

Yes Martin Pawley in THE SEARCHERS is Jeff Hunter's most iconic role. What a gorgeous guy he was, shame he died young too.

Guy Madison was another hot hunk of that 1940s-1950s era, often a marine or a cowboy.

Kerwin Matthews too, who was actually gay and lived with a man for decades, seems nobody noticed.

by Anonymousreply 164May 2, 2016 4:54 AM

[quote] Joel Mccrea. I love his low-key, funny characters from when he was young. One of my favorite movies is The More The Merrier with Joel, Jean Arthur, and Charles Coburn. The plot is corny and tortured, but who cares! The acting is fun, as are the sets and the costumes.

A total and complete babe, McCrea is wonderful in this movie. And Charles Coburn is great in his Oscar winning (Best Supporting Actor) role.

I believe McCrea was a California guy, attended Hollywood High and was friends with the girls who were daughters of the studio moguls. The daughters all thought he was dreamy.

He was also great in Hitchcock's "Foreign Correspondent".

by Anonymousreply 165May 2, 2016 5:28 AM

Richard Barthelmess - another 1930s well known actor, forgotten now. I only know him from Hawks' Only Angels Have Wings in 1939. He may have been the oriental guy in the Lillian Gish silent Broken Blossoms - or was that Nils Asther ?

by Anonymousreply 166May 2, 2016 5:34 AM

Richard Basehart...always thought he was an Irishman but he's actually American.

Hot,handsome and largely forgotten.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167May 2, 2016 7:09 AM

Except for Hitchcock's "Llifeboat" and maybe "The Harvey Girls" one doesn't see too much these days of the unconventionally sexy John Hodiak

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168May 2, 2016 7:12 AM

Somebody mentioned Jeanne Crain upthread and it reminded me of this delightful costume test footage for the movie "State Fair".

Jeanne looks absolutely breathtaking in a sweet,wholesome,unaffected and all-American way. She's definitely my favorite actress from that amazing era.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169May 2, 2016 7:21 AM

Linda Darnell, one of the most beautiful women ever in films, died from burns from a house fire in 1965.

by Anonymousreply 170May 2, 2016 9:17 AM

Yes 170 but I don't think she is forgotten. Crain is and Basehart was never quite in the star league, more an interesting co-star.

by Anonymousreply 171May 2, 2016 1:39 PM

Jeanne Crain was indeed gorgeous, fresh and wholesome but was a terribly wooden actress, foisted onto directors by Fox chief Darryl Zanuck. She almost ruins A Letter to Three Wives as the first wife. Thank goodness she was too pregnant to accept the role of Eve Harrington.

But a big YES to Linda Darnell, the second wife of ALTTW. A brunette beauty whose smoldering charisma made up for any lack of acting talent.

Also forgotten: ALTTW's third wife Ann Sothern, who began in the 1930s as a mini Joan Blondell soubrette in B musicals, moved over to MGM in the 1940s to star in their hugely popular Maisie B films (occasionally breaking out in A musicals), but found real stardom on 1950s TV as Private Secretary's Susie McNamara and then as Katy O'Connor on the Ann Sothern Show in the early 1960s. And she capped off her career with an Oscar nomination in The Whales of August in 1987. Now that's a a long LONG career, and yet entirely forgotten today.

by Anonymousreply 172May 2, 2016 1:41 PM

Jeanne Crain was very bland, she is the least interesting of the 3 in A Letter To Three Wives, and Gene Tierney (forgotten?) was the real star of Leave Her To Heaven.

Cornel Wilde - now there's forgotten !

by Anonymousreply 173May 2, 2016 1:42 PM

Yes, R166, that was Barthelmess in Broken Blossoms. Here he is with Bette Davis and Dorothy Jordan in The Cabin in the Cotton.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174May 2, 2016 3:28 PM

R173, anyone who's seen Cornel Wilde in The Naked Prey or The Greatest Show on Earth would never forget him for apparent reasons...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175May 2, 2016 3:34 PM

And who can forget the somnabulent Vera Hruba Ralston?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176May 2, 2016 3:45 PM

Judy Canova

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177May 2, 2016 5:15 PM

Gawd, R176, I just watched an old horror movie with Ralston. She was pitiful, especially when compared to old pros like Erich Von Stroheim and Richard Arlen. And she wasn't very attractive, despite the constant compliments she received in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 178May 2, 2016 6:57 PM

Ralston was only in those Republic pictures because of her involvement with Republic's studio head Herbert Yates, whom she eventually married. Her English was so bad that she had to learn her lines phonetically. After suffering through two films with her, John Wayne refused to do any more, convinced that costarring with her was bad for his career.

Interviewed by Johnny Carson on The Tonight Show, Maureen Stapleton was asked what she did to make herself feel better when she knew she'd given a bad performance: "I look through the TV Guide and try to find a Vera Hruba Ralston picture to watch because I know, no matter how bad a performance I may have given, I could NEVER be as bad as she was!".

by Anonymousreply 179May 2, 2016 7:16 PM

That Maureen Stapleton comment is hialrious

by Anonymousreply 180May 2, 2016 8:23 PM

[R179] - I remember reading that her friend Judy Holliday would call her late at night to let her know that a Ralston movie was on T.V.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181May 2, 2016 8:59 PM

She was named after me!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182May 2, 2016 9:28 PM

Jeanne Crain could have been so much more if she had been more interested in being a mega star. The parts that were written with her in mind, then turned down by her, are mind boggling. By her own admission she was just lazy and wanted to stay home with her kids. All six of them. That she had one after another. A couple, by her own admission, to get out of a commitment. She really was drop dead fucking gorgeous. In a lot of her pics she still looks very modern. She may be mostly forgotten but I find her very interesting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183May 2, 2016 10:08 PM

Jeanne Crain was adorable in Margie. Unfortunately, the movie isn't available on DVD, and I don't know of any streaming service that has it.

by Anonymousreply 184May 2, 2016 10:13 PM

One more Jeanne for the road.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185May 2, 2016 10:27 PM

Has Jose Ferrer been mentioned? Oscar winner, who married Rosemary Clooney. Love their actor son Miguel Ferrer, much sexier than his cousin George.

by Anonymousreply 186May 2, 2016 11:04 PM

Patsy Kensit.

by Anonymousreply 187May 2, 2016 11:25 PM

Jane Withers

by Anonymousreply 188May 2, 2016 11:49 PM

I was wilde for Cornel's grapefruits.

by Anonymousreply 189May 2, 2016 11:54 PM

Jeanne Craine is very terrific in State Fair.

At the end of the film when she gets that phone call she really looks like she's going to burst with happiness.

I have never been a Jose Ferrer fan but I saw a live interview with Stanley Donen once at the Walter Reade and he said that Ferrer was cast in Deep in My Heart because he was the biggest thing at the time.

I recently saw it for the first time on TCM and I have to admit his Jazza Dada Doo number is an amazing hilarious seemingly unedited tour de force.

Watch it as well for James Mitchell and Cyd. Probably the most erotic dance number ever put on film. I don't even know how they got away with it.

by Anonymousreply 190May 3, 2016 12:12 AM

Alain Delon

by Anonymousreply 191May 3, 2016 12:15 AM

Mark Stevens

Victor Mature

by Anonymousreply 192May 3, 2016 12:19 AM

Jennifer Jones and Jean Simmons

by Anonymousreply 193May 3, 2016 1:01 AM

Yeah Jennifer Jones is a good one. Never got her appeal at all. Who was she fucking?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194May 3, 2016 1:03 AM

Only David O Selznick, r194.

by Anonymousreply 195May 3, 2016 1:17 AM

You really walked into that one, r194!

She was also formerly married to Robert Walker.

I have never understood her appeal.

by Anonymousreply 196May 3, 2016 1:25 AM

Although we talk about her here from time to time, Deanna Durbin was a huge star for her whole career, but really nobody can name a single one of her films.

I truly enjoy her English language/non-traditional "Nessun Dorma", it's exquisite.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197May 3, 2016 1:29 AM

Well there you go. I knew it had to be something. I recently watched a double feature of her in A Portrait of Jenny and The Song of Bernadette. The intro was such a build up of her. Especially her beauty. The movies weren't bad but she wasn't worth the glowing intro and all I read about her that was just as glowing. Completely miscast in A Portrait of Jenny. I'm sure though there are others who have more expertise in old movies who will disagree with me. I was just completely underwhelmed.

by Anonymousreply 198May 3, 2016 1:31 AM

Jeanne Crain is understandably forgotten But I remember well her smokin husand Paul Brinkman

by Anonymousreply 199May 3, 2016 1:32 AM

A DL favorite: Home movie of Ann Blyth's wedding, featuring glamorous Irene Dunne, Jeanne Crain (in a pea-green ensemble that could be worn today) with hunky/creepy Paul Brinkman, perky Terry Moore, sweet Piper Laurie, gregarious Danny Thomas and Jack Benny asking himself "what am I doing here?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200May 3, 2016 2:00 AM

I love that clip r200. Those outfits, they all look smashing and glamorous!

by Anonymousreply 201May 3, 2016 2:08 AM

1953 was a very good look for women. Crain looked fucking gorgeous. The lady in white at 1:51 who was that...she looked incredible in what she was wearing.

by Anonymousreply 202May 3, 2016 2:11 AM

Looks like Itene Dunne, R202.

by Anonymousreply 203May 3, 2016 2:17 AM

*Irene

by Anonymousreply 204May 3, 2016 2:19 AM

Gene Nelson had a truly remarkable and varied career. He started off as a skater in Sonja Heine's Ice Shows, had two bits in two of her Fox movies, comes back to Fox briefly after the war where he appears in bits in MIRACLE ON 34th STREET and GENTLEMEN'S AGREEMENT then goes to Warners where he becomes their answer to Gene Kelly & Dan Dailey, partnering June Haver, Doris Day & Virginia Mayo, in musicals like THE DAUGHTER OF ROSIE O'GRADY, LULLABY OF BROADWAY, SHE'S WORKING HER WAY THROUGH COLLEGE, SHE'S BACK ON BROADWAY and PAINTING THE CLOUDS WITH SUNSHINE, appears in the film of OKLAHOMA as Will Parker, then becomes one of Hollywoods busiest hack directors for films and TV, directing a few Elvis movies, and episodes of everything from I DREAM OF JEANNIE, F-TROOP, STAR TREK, THE DONNA REED SHOW, THE MOD SQUAD, even GET CHRISTIE LOVE! and caps it all by creating the role of Buddy in the original Broadway cast of FOLLIES.

He was an exceptional dancer, one of Hollywoods best - but he lacked charisma, sex appeal and a winning singing voice. I think it also did not help him that he was also named Gene. I wish he had written an autobiography.

by Anonymousreply 205May 3, 2016 2:22 AM

What was that chicory coffee that Jeanne Crain use to sell in commercials?

by Anonymousreply 206May 3, 2016 2:25 AM

Dan Dailey

Barry Nelson

Tony Franciosa

David Hedison

by Anonymousreply 207May 3, 2016 2:32 AM

I always thought a young Russell Crowe would have been a great choice to star in a movie about Wallace Reid.

Supposedly Debra Winger was at one time to have starred in in movie about the life of Mabel Normand. I think she could probably qualify as a "forgotten" movie star. Hugely popular in silent comedy films (she was very athletic and was great in the frantically physical comedies back then) her career was ruined by her addiction to cocaine and her involvement in the William Taylor murder scandal. She was not really considered a suspect in his murder, but she was a close friend of his and just being associated with him damaged her reputation. She was considered a beauty, but I didn't really think she was. Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle was a frequent co-star of hers; the only thing he's remembered for is his involvement in the demise of Virginia Rappe, a young woman (NOT a slut, NOT a hooker, NOT pregnant, NOT riddled with VD, NOT dying of a botched abortion) who became stricken in his hotel room and later died. I don't think I've ever seen any movies of his on TCM. Maybe they showed something of his once, but he's one silent star you almost hear nothing about, unless it's in the context of the scandal that ruined his career as a movie star (he still found employment in movies, as a director).

by Anonymousreply 208May 3, 2016 2:32 AM

Gordon Macrae

Allan Jones

Nelson Eddy and Jeannette McDonald

by Anonymousreply 209May 3, 2016 2:33 AM

Here's Jeanne in Margie. You can get a ton of the old movies on YouTube. YouTube and a Roku and you'll have all the oldies you'll ever want.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210May 3, 2016 2:37 AM

Lots of stars did coffee and ersatz coffee commercials, R206, but I don't think Crain was among them. Here's something she did actually shill.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211May 3, 2016 5:16 AM

Jeanette and Nelson forgotten?

That would be like naming Fred and Ginger.

by Anonymousreply 212May 3, 2016 8:19 AM

Wendell Corey - apparently he drank himself to death.

by Anonymousreply 213May 3, 2016 11:36 AM

Wendell was a huge self-loathing closet case who did indeed drink himself to death.

by Anonymousreply 214May 3, 2016 2:01 PM

Won't Wendell Corey being in "Rear Window" keep him from being forgotten?

by Anonymousreply 215May 3, 2016 2:07 PM

Wendell Corey played a gay character in Desert Fury

"I went home with him that night. I was locked out. Didn't have a place to stay. His old lady ran a boarding house in the Bronx. There were a couple of vacant rooms. We were together from then on."

Was Elizabeth Scott a lesbian?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216May 3, 2016 2:37 PM

Earl Holliman - won a Golden Globe (deservedly) for The Rainmaker

by Anonymousreply 217May 3, 2016 2:39 PM

James Franciscus

by Anonymousreply 218May 3, 2016 2:46 PM

Does anyone remember me...???

by Anonymousreply 219May 3, 2016 2:52 PM

Ann Blyth's groom was Dr. James McNulty. He was the brother of singer Dennis Day who was best man.

Here's another brief clip:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220May 3, 2016 4:02 PM

Mitzi Gaynor

And was Wendell Corey really a closet case? Never heard that

by Anonymousreply 221May 3, 2016 6:10 PM

John Payne

by Anonymousreply 222May 3, 2016 6:11 PM

Eddie Quillan was a very popular comic in silents and early talkies but was later cast in character roles and bit parts. He took a very good picture but he had a sort of Jiminy Cricket voice and a goofy screen presence, which of course suited his comic roles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223May 3, 2016 6:32 PM

Bessie Love's career spanned seven decades, from D.W. Griffith's Intolerance in 1916 to Warren Beatty's Reds in 1981. She was nominated for a Best Actress Oscar as one of the stars of The Broadway Melody, the first talking film to win Best Picture. In it, she delivers a stunningly realistic monologue while crying at her dressing room mirror. Scenes like that rendered silent pictures obsolete on the spot.

But who remembers Bessie Love today?

by Anonymousreply 224May 3, 2016 6:46 PM

Brian Aherne, a Englishman who moved to the US and made movies here for decades. He wrote a WONDERFUL autobiography in the late 60s, then lived about 20 years longer.

He's probably best known to young audiences today from a Twilight Zone, the one about the old actor who goes through a door and gets to be with his young wife and colleagues again, back when he was a big star. The episode was titled "The Trouble with Templeton" and there's a folk/alt band that took that name.

I read Brian Aherne's autobiography. I am the gayest man in the universe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225May 3, 2016 8:09 PM

This reminds me of a story about Aherne and Bette Davis when they were making Juarez together in 1939. Davis complimented Aherne about the beard that he'd grown for his role, stating that it suited him and he should keep it. Aherne, taken aback, told Davis that she should keep wearing the black wig that she wore for her role as Empress Carlotta. The rest of the shoot between them was frosty.

by Anonymousreply 226May 3, 2016 8:26 PM

There MUST be more to the story than that, because without more it seems like Aherne was the Bette Davis in the story and Bette Davis was the Brian Aherne!

by Anonymousreply 227May 3, 2016 8:30 PM

Too easy.

by Anonymousreply 228May 3, 2016 9:32 PM

R227, it's in Davis' book Mother Goddam. It'd be interesting to get Aherne's version...

by Anonymousreply 229May 3, 2016 9:33 PM

Aherne was also Joan Fontaine's first husband and far sexier than the photo at r225.

Was his final big screen appearance in 1958's The Best of Everything as Joan Crawford's boss?

by Anonymousreply 230May 3, 2016 11:10 PM

r220: Blyth & McNulty were together for the rest of his long life.

In 1953, Blyth married obstetrician James McNulty, brother of singer Dennis Day, who had introduced them. The bridesmaids were actresses Joan Leslie, Jane Withers, and Betty Lynn. After her marriage, Blyth cut back somewhat to focus on raising their five children, Timothy Patrick (June 10, 1954); Maureen Ann (December 14, 1955); Kathleen Mary (December 23, 1957); Terence Grady (December 9, 1960); and Eileen Alana (April 10, 1963). In 1973, she and McNulty, both devout Catholics, were accorded the honorific rank of Lady and Knight of the Holy Sepulchre in a ceremony presided over by Cardinal Terence Cooke. McNulty died May 13, 2007, in La Jolla.

by Anonymousreply 231May 3, 2016 11:10 PM

PATRICK KNOWLES

Frequent 'B' list actor, early on often cast at WB with ERROL FLYNN; probably best remembered to gay audiences for playing Lindsey Woolsey in AUNTiE MAME.

KNOWLES on L, deHAVILLAND, FLYNN

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232May 3, 2016 11:34 PM

Aherne's last film was Rosalind Russell's Rosie!

by Anonymousreply 233May 3, 2016 11:37 PM

Australian born DAME JUDITH ANDERSON. So versatile; she could play darn near anyone & do it exceptionally well. Mrs. Danvers, the evil lesbian housekeeper in REBECCA, in LAURA where she was cast as the lead's conniving aunt, 'Big Mama' in the TAYLOR/NEWMAN version of CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF, an elderly Indian woman in A MAN CALLED HORSE- for starters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234May 3, 2016 11:41 PM

GEORGE BRENT was a big actor over at WARNER BROTHERS back in the 30s, 40s. He's mostly forgotten now; was often cast opposite BETTE DAVIS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235May 3, 2016 11:45 PM

MADELEINE CARROLL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236May 3, 2016 11:47 PM

LEILA HYAMS

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237May 3, 2016 11:47 PM

MARILYN MAXWELL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238May 3, 2016 11:50 PM

HUGH HERBERT

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239May 3, 2016 11:51 PM

JANE BRYAN, the one actress BETTE DAVIS said gave her a run for her money, left film while still in her 20s for married life to JUSTIN DART (DART DRUG STORES).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240May 3, 2016 11:52 PM

JEFF DONNELL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241May 3, 2016 11:53 PM

MONA WASHBOURNE

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242May 3, 2016 11:54 PM

Madeleine Carroll played Zenda in The Prisoner of Zenda opposite Ronald Colman as the prisoner.

by Anonymousreply 243May 3, 2016 11:55 PM

JANICE RULE

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244May 3, 2016 11:55 PM

Gorgeous CAMILLA SPARV

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245May 3, 2016 11:56 PM

DAN DURYEA

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246May 3, 2016 11:57 PM

HERBERT MARSHALL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247May 3, 2016 11:59 PM

One of my favorite character actresses LEE PATRICK.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248May 4, 2016 12:00 AM

WILLIAM S. HART

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249May 4, 2016 12:02 AM

EDNA PURVIANCE

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250May 4, 2016 12:03 AM

the original screen vamp THEDA BARA

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251May 4, 2016 12:04 AM

William SHart. Hahahahaha!!

by Anonymousreply 252May 4, 2016 12:04 AM

MAGGIE HAYES

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253May 4, 2016 12:05 AM

AUDREY TOTTER

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254May 4, 2016 12:06 AM

r246: I refer to him as Dan Diarrhea.

by Anonymousreply 255May 4, 2016 12:08 AM

Speaking of the late JACK CARSON, his onetime wife, the sexy LOLA ALBRIGHT is still living at 90 something. Long career in film & television.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256May 4, 2016 12:08 AM

William SHarted in his pants.

by Anonymousreply 257May 4, 2016 12:09 AM

R255

Just DO NOT CONUSE him with me dammit !!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258May 4, 2016 12:10 AM

EVERETT SLOANE

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259May 4, 2016 12:11 AM

VIRGINIA O'BRIEN

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260May 4, 2016 12:13 AM

MARTHA HYER

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261May 4, 2016 12:15 AM

Richard Dix

by Anonymousreply 262May 4, 2016 12:16 AM

RONALD COLEMAN

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263May 4, 2016 12:17 AM

More DLers remember me, your sister, r258.

by Anonymousreply 264May 4, 2016 12:17 AM

LURENE TUTTLE. I always confused her with Audrey Totter.

by Anonymousreply 265May 4, 2016 12:17 AM

DALIAH LAVI, now residing in Asheville, NC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266May 4, 2016 12:19 AM

WILFRID HYDE-WHITE

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267May 4, 2016 12:20 AM

DOROTHY PROVINE

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268May 4, 2016 12:20 AM

DANE CLARK

(I used to confuse him with CAMERON MITCHELL)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269May 4, 2016 12:21 AM

Dane Clark SHarted on Cameron Mitchell.

by Anonymousreply 270May 4, 2016 12:23 AM

FLORA ROBSON on right. Shown here with CAROL LYNLEY & the late OLIVER REED.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271May 4, 2016 12:23 AM

ANTHONY ZERBE

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272May 4, 2016 12:24 AM

LYLE BETTGER

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273May 4, 2016 12:28 AM

MARY ANDERSON

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274May 4, 2016 12:29 AM

ZACHARY SCOTT

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 275May 4, 2016 12:30 AM

FRED CLARK

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276May 4, 2016 12:30 AM

Marsha Hunt

Corinne Calvet

by Anonymousreply 277May 4, 2016 12:30 AM

EDWARD ANDREWS

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278May 4, 2016 12:31 AM

BINNIE BARNES

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279May 4, 2016 12:32 AM

PAMELA FRANKLIN

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280May 4, 2016 12:33 AM

MAIDIE NORMAN

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281May 4, 2016 12:35 AM

MINNA GOMBELL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 282May 4, 2016 12:36 AM

MAX SHOWALTER

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 283May 4, 2016 12:38 AM

SIDNEY BLACKMER, shown here with the late VIRNA LISI from 1965's HOW TO MURDER YOUR WIFE is probably best remembered by gay audiences for his role of Roman Castavet in 1968's ROSEMARY'S BABY.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284May 4, 2016 12:40 AM

One of the top stars of the 1930s, KAY FRANCIS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285May 4, 2016 12:42 AM

TOM MIX

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 286May 4, 2016 12:43 AM

Tom Mix SHarted on William SHart.

by Anonymousreply 287May 4, 2016 12:43 AM

R238. What a gal. Thanks for the mammaries.

by Anonymousreply 288May 4, 2016 12:43 AM

THOMAS BECK, shown here with starlet PATRICIA KIRKLAND.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289May 4, 2016 12:44 AM

HANS CONREID

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290May 4, 2016 12:45 AM

NANCY CARROLL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291May 4, 2016 12:45 AM

Are you planning on posting every member of SAG pre-1965?

by Anonymousreply 292May 4, 2016 12:48 AM

Married to DAVID HEMMINGS for a few years, GAYLE HUNNICUTT was once promising and had her 15 minutes in the late 1960s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 293May 4, 2016 12:48 AM

DON MURRAY

(who I used to confuse with EARL HOLLIMAN)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294May 4, 2016 12:50 AM

ANDREW DUGGAN

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295May 4, 2016 12:52 AM

Don Dubbins

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 296May 4, 2016 12:53 AM

MIKE HENRY

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 297May 4, 2016 12:54 AM

Skip Homeier

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298May 4, 2016 12:54 AM

ROBERT GUNNER

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 299May 4, 2016 12:55 AM

Lon McCallister

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 300May 4, 2016 12:55 AM

William Eythe (who was Lon McCallister's boyfriend)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 301May 4, 2016 12:56 AM

MYLENE DEMONGEOT

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 302May 4, 2016 12:57 AM

R72 .. Yes. And Hayakawa's sex symbol status pre-dated Valentino. His story is quite interesting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 303May 4, 2016 12:59 AM

R292. Yes.

by Anonymousreply 304May 4, 2016 12:59 AM

SIR RALPH RICHARDSON

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 305May 4, 2016 12:59 AM

GLENDA FARRELL

by Anonymousreply 306May 4, 2016 1:01 AM

Ina Claire

by Anonymousreply 307May 4, 2016 1:01 AM

R304. Stop him before he starts besmirching MGM stars.

by Anonymousreply 308May 4, 2016 1:01 AM

TOMY NOONAN

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 309May 4, 2016 1:01 AM

It's too late. They're already dead !!

by Anonymousreply 310May 4, 2016 1:02 AM

You can stop I'm already dead.

by Anonymousreply 311May 4, 2016 1:03 AM

Are you Debbie Reynolds?

by Anonymousreply 312May 4, 2016 1:04 AM

R243:

[quote] Madeleine Carroll played Zenda in The Prisoner of Zenda opposite Ronald Colman as the prisoner.

Sorry, R243, but Zenda is a place, not a person.

Madeline Carroll played Princess Flavia.

by Anonymousreply 313May 4, 2016 1:08 AM

BRENDA DE BANZIE

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 314May 4, 2016 1:10 AM

Speaking of dear DEBBIE, she & I were married to the same guy. Oh, and she helped to raise my children after my death.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 315May 4, 2016 1:12 AM

BRANDON deWILDE

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 316May 4, 2016 1:13 AM

I don't have a clue who Joan Crawford is. She gets some play around here but no one under 40 knows her. Most of us know Bette Davis and Hepburn and Cary Grant and Gable and James Stewart. Edward G Robinson and Bogart. Most have heard of Garbo. But Joan Crawford must be some kind of some inside campy joke, because she can't act and never appeared in any memorable films, other than campy Baby Jane. Was Joan Crawford famous before Mommie Dearest?

by Anonymousreply 317May 4, 2016 1:14 AM

Elliott Reid

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 318May 4, 2016 1:15 AM

The RAMBO twins:

DACK on the left, DIRK on the right in red.

DIRK died in a 1967 car accident; DACK died about 20 years ago due to an aids related illness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 319May 4, 2016 1:16 AM

Would've made one eXXXcellent twin sandwich !

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 320May 4, 2016 1:17 AM

The great thread feels ruined now.

by Anonymousreply 321May 4, 2016 1:18 AM

R315. If the shoe fits, marry it.

by Anonymousreply 322May 4, 2016 1:26 AM

Henry Brandon, handsome gay character actor whose powerful build was often on display as he specialized in playing half-naked "Indians," usually when the script called for one who spoke English well. Here he is in The Searchers:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 323May 4, 2016 1:26 AM

You have to have known these really obscure people in order to have forgotten them.

by Anonymousreply 324May 4, 2016 1:28 AM

Adorable Dennis Morgan is probably only remembered for "Christmas in Connecticut" with Barbra Stanwyck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 325May 4, 2016 1:29 AM

Henry Daniell

by Anonymousreply 326May 4, 2016 1:31 AM

Someone mentioned Judy Canova upthread...god I love her hysterical musical numbers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327May 4, 2016 1:38 AM

THANKS, MR. SEE 'N SAY, FOR TURNING THIS INTO AN EXERCISE IN MONOTONY. May we have our thread back now?

by Anonymousreply 328May 4, 2016 1:47 AM

Sue Lyon. Cast in the role of Lolita at age 14 and she should have received an Oscar nomination.

by Anonymousreply 329May 4, 2016 1:58 AM

Young Dennis Morgan was also unforgettable as the tenor who sings A PRETTY GIRL IS LIKE A MELODY to hundreds (thousands?) of Adrian-clad showgirls on the twirling circular staircase in MGM's 1936 spectacular THE GREAT ZIEGFELD. Though I believe he was dubbed.

by Anonymousreply 330May 4, 2016 2:05 AM

[quote]I love her hysterical musical numbers.

I do too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 331May 4, 2016 2:09 AM

Leonard Whiting and Olivia Hussey, who made such a beautiful couple in "Romeo and Juliet", sank into obscurity fairly quickly.

by Anonymousreply 332May 4, 2016 2:09 AM

If Judy had a face she would have been Ginger Rogers.

by Anonymousreply 333May 4, 2016 2:13 AM

Here's one of Olivia Hussey's more illustrious moments in her downward spiral from Romeo and Juliet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 334May 4, 2016 2:22 AM

Ann Sheridan

by Anonymousreply 335May 4, 2016 2:25 AM

Barbara Rush

Dana Wynter

by Anonymousreply 336May 4, 2016 2:28 AM

Warren William was a major leading man in films in the 1930's.

Wasn't Albert Dekker the drunken closet case and not Wendell Corey?

Marilyn Maxwell was Bob Hope's mistress for many years.

by Anonymousreply 337May 4, 2016 2:41 AM

R323

And like PATRICK KNOWLES who I posted earlier, HENRY is also remembered for having been in AUNTiE MAME. HENRY BRANDON played Acacius Page, Patrick's teacher at the progressive school where he learned to play 'fish family'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 338May 4, 2016 3:00 AM

{quote]Was Elizabeth Scott a lesbian?

Was she a lesbian? Why she was the bucket in "The Well of Loneliness"!

(To paraphrase Lillian Gish answering the same question about Eva Le Gallienne)

by Anonymousreply 339May 4, 2016 5:37 AM

Nice try, Bette at R317. Cunt!

by Anonymousreply 340May 4, 2016 7:35 AM

Mind your manners, Lucille.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 341May 4, 2016 7:59 AM

Keir Dullea, gone tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 342May 4, 2016 8:24 AM

I'm going to watch A FREE SOUL with Norma Shearer.

by Anonymousreply 343May 4, 2016 9:18 AM

Didn't Olivia Hussey later say she lost her virginity to Leonard Whiting?

My 9th grade English class was quite scandalized by seeing her boobs and his bare butt. I don't think you could get away with it nowardays- there were something like 15 and 17 at the time. Zefferelli was quite the perv.

by Anonymousreply 344May 4, 2016 10:07 AM

[quote]Keir Dullea, gone tomorrow.

Keir Dullea has aged very well....still handsome at age 80.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 345May 4, 2016 11:29 AM

Wuv, wuv, wuv me some Kay Fwancis, R285! I had forgotten about her. Thank God for this thread.

Isn't/Wasn't Olivia Hussey kinda bananas? I think she stalked someone, but I can't remember who or when.

by Anonymousreply 346May 4, 2016 5:31 PM

Ashley Judd

by Anonymousreply 347May 4, 2016 5:57 PM

Mira Sorvino

by Anonymousreply 348May 4, 2016 6:00 PM

Sue Lyon did not deserve an Oscar nomination. She was laughably bad in Night of the Iguana. She disappeared for a reason....

by Anonymousreply 349May 4, 2016 6:33 PM

[R297] Remember that offer where if you sent in 10 cereal box tops they'd send you your very own Mike Henry? The minute I got mine I checked for anatomic correctness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 350May 4, 2016 7:42 PM

Lisa Eichhorn. She starred in a couple of high-profile movies in the late 70s/early 80s. She seem headed for promising career . . . and then promptly dropped off the face of the earth.

by Anonymousreply 351May 4, 2016 8:48 PM

Biker movie regular and DL fave Michael Pataki

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 352May 4, 2016 9:04 PM

John Vernon, who almost invariably played stuffy officious types, often assholes, on the silver screen, but was in reality a mensch of the first order.

Played Dean Wormer in Animal House, the Mayor in Dirty Harry, and Officer Mooney in Killer Klowns from Outer Space. His daughter is the actress Kate Vernon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 353May 4, 2016 9:11 PM

I really like this Mike Henry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 354May 4, 2016 9:18 PM

Mrs. Patrick Campbell

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 355May 4, 2016 9:29 PM

May Robson.

One of the greats but we only know her as an old woman in the 30s.

She must have been something on stage when she was younger.

From the wretched impoverished miserable old lady in Lady for a Day to stern Aunt Polly to the farce of Bringing up Baby she could do anything.

by Anonymousreply 356May 4, 2016 9:36 PM

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

by Anonymousreply 357May 4, 2016 9:45 PM

Miss Robson was also in Lady By Choice, with Carole Lombard. They got billing above the title, and above the men.

by Anonymousreply 358May 4, 2016 9:48 PM

Acquanetta

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 359May 4, 2016 9:49 PM

Debra Paget

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 360May 4, 2016 9:51 PM

Jon Hall

Maria Montez

by Anonymousreply 361May 4, 2016 11:51 PM

Linda Purl

Kay Lenz

Deborah Raffin

Kathleen Quinlan

by Anonymousreply 362May 5, 2016 12:53 AM

Olivier to Joan Fontaine when he found out she was going with (very handsome)Brian Aherne, "Couldn't you do better than that?!"

I love Olivier but boy could he be a petty jealous person.

by Anonymousreply 363May 5, 2016 1:23 AM

The Australian movie star Yahoo Serious was just too talented for mainstream fame. He wrote, performed and did the music for his movies, all to a very high standard. Still iconic in Australia today but largely forgotten/ignored by the general movie audience. Still alive in his early sixties.

by Anonymousreply 364May 5, 2016 1:29 AM

Linda Manz. She was fifteen years old when she starred in Terrence Malick's "Days of Heaven." Critics praised her highly, but her career only lasted from 1978-1985. She was in the dreadful movie "Gummo." She was rather homely; maybe that's why she wasn't able to get a lot of roles. Apparently she never gave a damn about being an actress, anyway. More power to her.

by Anonymousreply 365May 5, 2016 1:46 AM

Mickey Rooney.

by Anonymousreply 366May 5, 2016 1:59 AM

Mickey Rooney is NOT forgotten! His movies are frequently shown on TCM. Jesus, next thing you know somebody will say James Dean is forgotten. Or Marilyn Monroe. Or Elizabeth Taylor.

by Anonymousreply 367May 5, 2016 2:47 AM

Carrie Snodgress

by Anonymousreply 368May 5, 2016 3:02 AM

Gorgeous JULIE ADAMS

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 369May 5, 2016 3:14 AM

ROBERT RYAN

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 370May 5, 2016 3:18 AM

Was Laurence Olivier really that much of an actor? They hype about him was just a bit too much to grant this praise.

by Anonymousreply 371May 5, 2016 3:21 AM

R371

MONROE didn't like working with him and referred to him as

MISTER SIR SIR

by Anonymousreply 372May 5, 2016 3:22 AM

NINA FOCH (pronounced Fosh)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 373May 5, 2016 3:23 AM

Sandy Dennis

by Anonymousreply 374May 5, 2016 3:26 AM

Olivier mixed up Burt Lancaster's name and Kirk Douglas' name when they were doing a movie together. He seemed like a delicate pussy.

by Anonymousreply 375May 5, 2016 3:29 AM

"MONROE didn't like working with him and referred to him as

MISTER SIR SIR"

He wasn't exactly thrilled with her, either. She couldn't remember the simplest lines. She was driving him crazy. After the experience of directing a film with Marilyn Monroe, Olivier didn't direct another for fourteen years.

by Anonymousreply 376May 5, 2016 3:45 AM

Consistent accounts from co-workers say tell that while MONROE wasn't mean, her insecurities drove her fellow actors up the wall. OLIVIER on the other hand was known to sometimes be a real diva.

by Anonymousreply 377May 5, 2016 3:50 AM

Olivier didn't like Monroe because he thought he was the greatest actor ever and because she was female.

by Anonymousreply 378May 5, 2016 3:52 AM

And when that awkward movie was released, she looked natural, he looked like he was acting.

by Anonymousreply 379May 5, 2016 3:54 AM

Crispin Glover

by Anonymousreply 380May 5, 2016 3:56 AM

Paul LeMat- gave the best performance in American Graffiti, but his career went nowhere, while Richard Dreyfuss, Ron Howard and Harrison Ford all had long and lucrative careers.

by Anonymousreply 381May 5, 2016 11:05 AM

[quote]Olivier to Joan Fontaine when he found out she was going with (very handsome)Brian Aherne, "Couldn't you do better than that?!"

I'd take cutie pie Brian Aherne over fussy, conceited Olivier ANYDAY!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 382May 5, 2016 12:00 PM

Jill Clayburgh

by Anonymousreply 383May 5, 2016 12:03 PM

Although Olivier seems not to have been a very nice person he is magnificent in Wuthering Heights, Carrie, and Richard lll.

And as an old man he did remark how good Monroe was in Showgirl. Good? She wipes him off the screen. Jealous much Larry?

And to be fair Monroe had many people hating her because of what her insecurities put them through.

It was only years later after the anguish was over did those same people praise her.

by Anonymousreply 384May 5, 2016 12:15 PM

Sexually, Olivier could not keep up with Vivien's demands and she would compensate by picking up rough trade on the side.

by Anonymousreply 385May 5, 2016 1:35 PM

Vivien was non compos mentis a lot of the time due to bipolar affective disorder, for which there was no effective treatment in the 1940s and 50s.

by Anonymousreply 386May 5, 2016 2:00 PM

Wow, Brian Aherne was a cutie!

by Anonymousreply 387May 5, 2016 2:09 PM

Linda Manz is a good one. She totally vanished.

by Anonymousreply 388May 5, 2016 2:19 PM

Ernest Morrison a/k/a Sunshine Sammy. The first black actor to be signed to a long-term contract by a Hollywood studio (Hal Roach Studios) and the first child actor to be signed as a cast member for Our Gang. Starred alongside of Harold Lloyd, Snub Pollard and others.

by Anonymousreply 389May 5, 2016 6:37 PM

Sigrid Gurie - the Norwegian Garbo!

Anna Sten

by Anonymousreply 390May 5, 2016 8:09 PM

Leo G. Carroll, who many people know today only from a throwaway reference in the song "Science Fiction Double Feature" but who had a storied career as a character actor for almost 40 years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 391May 5, 2016 8:51 PM

May Robson's big scene as the cook in Dinner At Eight is one of the best scenes in that all-star film. She stole that scene right out from under the perky nose of dithery Billie Burke.

by Anonymousreply 392May 6, 2016 4:06 AM

R391

Also remembered for having played Mr. Waverly on

THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E. and THE GiRL FROM U.N.C.L.E.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 393May 6, 2016 4:17 AM

Pat O'Brien, Frank McHugh, and Lee Tracy were all over Hollywood for 30+ years each. Mostly at Warners, but really at every studio, and a ton of tv as well. Huge careers, and actors you'd know by face as each did many movie roles in mostly A pictures with big stars. They all also played leads themselves, but today not one of their names rings a bell. They were exactly the same age and all started at the same time in Hollywood during the first years of the talkies.

Pat O'Brien did nine films with his great friend James Cagney including the final film for both, "Ragtime".

by Anonymousreply 394May 6, 2016 7:08 AM

Speaking of Dinner at Eight, R392, Marie Dressler is also largely forgotten despite having been the #1 box office draw and an Oscar winner for best actress in the early 30's. I love her in this scene...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 395May 6, 2016 7:17 AM

Ha! I forgot Lee Tracy was in "Dinner at Eight"!

by Anonymousreply 396May 6, 2016 7:26 AM

Leo G. Carroll will never be considered forgotten, thanks to "North by Northwest".

by Anonymousreply 397May 6, 2016 7:55 AM

Leo G.Carroll aso starred for a few years in the early 1950s as Cosmo Topper on the TV show "Topper." His wife was played by veteran character actress Lee Patrick, and the ghostly George and Marian Kirby were real-life husband and wife Anne Jeffreys and Robert Sterling.

by Anonymousreply 398May 6, 2016 9:57 AM

Lovely Anne Jeffreys is still with us.

by Anonymousreply 399May 6, 2016 12:27 PM

Rhonda Fleming

Arlene Dahl

by Anonymousreply 400May 6, 2016 2:32 PM

Robert Sterling had previously been married to Ann Sothern and they had a daughter, Tisha Sterling, who acted for a while.

A friend of mine attended Ann's estate sale and purchased a few items. Tisha was there overseeing the sale and mingling with the crowd.

by Anonymousreply 401May 6, 2016 3:01 PM

Anne Jeffreys, Ann Rutherford, and Ann Miller were "The Three Anns," ladies who lunched together in all the tony hotspots in LA/Beverly Hills. Jeffreys is the only one remaining. I wonder how she fills up her time without her two besties around.

by Anonymousreply 402May 6, 2016 3:11 PM

Anne Jeffreys and Robert Sterling appeared on What's My Line? as the Mystery Guests when they were appearing on Topper. The panel rudely behaved like they'd never heard of them. It was very awkward. I'd link a clip but can't seem to find it.

by Anonymousreply 403May 6, 2016 5:25 PM

Being that Ann Miller was brought I'll mention that I recently watched her interview with Robert Osborne.

What surprised me most was how generous she was in her praise of Ginger Rogers and Lucille Ball.

I always had the impression these two were very ambitious jealous people.

But Miller noted that when she was young at RKO and could have been a threat to them they watched out for her and helped her as if there was a sisterly affection as you see in the film Stagedoor.

Also Lucille Ball who was not one to suffer fools gladly as we say on DL thought Rogers mother was a stage mother to all of them in the best way possible watching out for the male sharks who were going to exploit them.

But on the other side of the coin I understand Rogers did not like Betty Grable who has a great reputation as being a generous colleague.

You can see a very young very pretty Grable as a back up singer to Ginger in Follow the Fleet.

Poor Betty. In DuBarry Was a Lady she stopped the show with Porter's Give Him the Ooh La La.

So Merman took it from her. It's a tough business.

by Anonymousreply 404May 6, 2016 5:38 PM

[quote] Pat O'Brien, Frank McHugh, and Lee Tracy were all over Hollywood for 30+ years each. Mostly at Warners, but really at every studio, and a ton of tv as well. Huge careers, and actors you'd know by face as each did many movie roles in mostly A pictures with big stars.

I think James Gleason belongs in this group too.

by Anonymousreply 405May 6, 2016 5:51 PM

Didn't Merman also insist that Betty Hutton's number be given to her in another show? I guess Betty won in the end when she played Annie in Merm's Annie Get Your Gun for MGM.

by Anonymousreply 406May 6, 2016 5:52 PM

John Payne

by Anonymousreply 407May 6, 2016 8:09 PM

R373 It's funny that Nina Foch played the older lady trying to buy Gene Kelly in An American in Paris when she was actually 12 years younger than he.

by Anonymousreply 408May 6, 2016 8:16 PM

Why would the WML? panelists act as though they didn't know who Anne Jeffreys and Robert Sterling were when both had film careers prior to "Topper"?

by Anonymousreply 409May 6, 2016 10:01 PM

Surprisingly, Anne Jeffreys received top billing on the "Topper" television series.

by Anonymousreply 410May 6, 2016 10:02 PM

Anne Jeffreys was one of David Gest's fag hags.

by Anonymousreply 411May 6, 2016 10:09 PM

I'll never forget her, R369.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 412May 6, 2016 10:22 PM

The WML panel could be very snooty towards TV stars in the early years of the show. Even though they were TV stars themselves, Dorothy, Bennett and Arlene always insisted that their night lives were far too glamorous and busy to spend nights at home watching that little black box.

by Anonymousreply 413May 7, 2016 12:16 AM

Winsome Yvette Mimieux who played "Weena" in 1960's"The Time Machine" may as well have fallen off the Earth...it's difficult to find even find a fairly recent picture of her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 414May 7, 2016 12:47 AM

Carol Lynley

by Anonymousreply 415May 7, 2016 12:55 AM

In Light in the Piazza Mimieux has to be one of the most beautiful brides ever.

She must be nearing 80 at this point.

Maybe looking like that when she was young she no longer wants to be seen?

by Anonymousreply 416May 7, 2016 1:30 AM

I don't see the problem, r416.

by Anonymousreply 417May 7, 2016 1:31 AM

Found a recent picture of Miss Mimieux....still sweetly appealing at 74.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 418May 7, 2016 1:36 AM

Yvette actually looks beautiful. Some work done, no doubt, but very gracefully and elegantly aged. Thanks for posting, r418!

by Anonymousreply 419May 7, 2016 1:38 AM

Sir Cedric Hardwicke. Helluva an actor.

by Anonymousreply 420May 7, 2016 1:38 AM

Very good work and she looks great.

by Anonymousreply 421May 7, 2016 1:39 AM

R418, that bitch!

by Anonymousreply 422May 7, 2016 4:13 AM

One of my favorite movie with Rod Taylor was Time Machine. I was scared shitless of the Morlocks.

He was also had a small part in Separate Tables with Burt Lancaster, Deborah Kerr and David Niven. He should have become a bigger star. Great Aussie Actor, handsome man!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 423May 7, 2016 9:03 AM

Rod Taylor's place in films is pretty solid, appearing in several movies that will keep his name alive for years to come, such as "The Birds".

by Anonymousreply 424May 7, 2016 11:51 AM

R423

Allegedly he screwed himself by becoming too big for his britches by the mid 60s and his career leveled out. I was surprised when I had read that because he usually came across as very likeable.

by Anonymousreply 425May 8, 2016 4:21 AM

Do spill R425

by Anonymousreply 426May 8, 2016 7:40 AM

[R425] - He had an affair with Maggie Smith.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 427May 8, 2016 5:32 PM

Not sure you'd ever call her a star... who was that fat, blowsy British girl in that sinking boat movie again? The one from the 90s?

See, I've forgotten her name.

Namaste.

by Anonymousreply 428May 9, 2016 5:37 PM

He also was the kind of old fashioned Hollywood star that couldn't make the transition from the old Hollywood studio system to the American new wave starting in '69.

Omar Sharif and Rock Hudson were others.

The kind of movie making they were a part of disappeared pretty quickly.

by Anonymousreply 429May 9, 2016 6:35 PM

Tom Cruise

by Anonymousreply 430June 4, 2017 4:04 AM

Edmond O'Brien

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 431July 22, 2017 12:06 PM

Basil Rathbone

William Bendix

Jack Elam

Joan Hackett

Richard Basehart & David Hedison starred in the 60s series, "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea".

Don Murray was electrifying & gorgeous in BUS STOP. Hes still alive, in his 90s I think.

Nancy Allen

by Anonymousreply 432July 22, 2017 1:25 PM

Didnt make it to stardom, but her backstory & unsolved disappearance (indirectly involving Kirk Douglas) make Jean Spangler an interesting read.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 433July 22, 2017 1:31 PM

the ethereal and haunting Gail Russell. She was cast in several noir classics, but her stage fright caused her to develop a nasty drinking habit. She was in an arranged marriage to Hunky Guy Madison, but her alcoholism went off the rails. She drove her car into some LA coffee shop? I think. And eventually drank herself to death. She is great in The Uninvited.

by Anonymousreply 434July 22, 2017 6:17 PM

The ever sultry Marie Windsor

by Anonymousreply 435July 25, 2017 2:56 PM

Lili Damita was a big movie star in the 1920's and 30's. She married Errol Flynn when he was a complete unknown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 436July 25, 2017 5:11 PM

Lili and Errol shortly after they married.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 437July 25, 2017 5:14 PM

Sylvia Sydney.

by Anonymousreply 438July 25, 2017 7:19 PM

FAT MONGREL BITCHES

by Anonymousreply 439January 16, 2018 12:25 PM

Ester Anderson - just saw her in "A Warm December" with Sydney Poitier on TCM. She was supposed to be the "next big thing" - a bonafide African American movie star. After that, she did a couple of episodes of "The Rookies," and that was it. Always wondered why her career began and ended as quickly as it did.

by Anonymousreply 440January 16, 2018 12:54 PM
by Anonymousreply 441July 1, 2018 4:56 AM

Re: Kay Kendall, below...some critics have pointed out Sean Young resembles her.

It kept Kendall's name out there in the 80s and 90s

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 442July 1, 2018 6:03 AM

Esther Anderson was beautiful. It couldn't have been easy for a black actress to find roles back then.

by Anonymousreply 443July 1, 2018 3:21 PM

Funny how many of these are character actors -- people who are remembered by their faces, but were never known for their names.

by Anonymousreply 444September 19, 2018 1:25 AM

R424, People don't remember 'The Birds' because of Rod Taylor. Sheesh, he was forgotten 30 years ago...

by Anonymousreply 445September 19, 2018 1:27 AM

Dewey Martin - a gorgeous twunk who had his share of matinee idol fame in the 50s and 60s.

I just found out that he died in April at age 94. His death was barely got press coverage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 446September 19, 2018 1:28 AM

Kay Kendall came from my home town R442, Withernsea, in the UK. Her sister and BIL bought the local lighthouse (only inland lighthouse in the UK) and keep it in her memory, so at least she usnt forgotten there.

by Anonymousreply 447September 19, 2018 1:42 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 448September 19, 2018 7:12 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!