Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mandela Effect

Now this is bizarre. Do you remember the Berenstein Bears? Have I got news for you!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259March 11, 2019 9:59 PM

That's crazy! I sent a text to my mom asking if she kept any of the old books.

by Anonymousreply 1April 27, 2016 1:58 AM

I remembered them as Berenstein from when I was a kid, but in the late 90s I saw Berenstain and thought I'd been wrong all along.

by Anonymousreply 2April 27, 2016 2:04 AM

The Berenstains were cartoonists whose non-Bears work used to appear in my grandmother's women's magazines like McCalls and Ladies Home Journal, magazines that she used to let me read. So I always knew how the Berenstains spelled their name and when they started the Bears series, I knew they were the Berenstain Bears. It says BERENSTAIN right on the fucking books. How hard is it to get it right?!

by Anonymousreply 3April 27, 2016 2:16 AM

Does anyone on DL have false memories of Mandela dying in prison in the 70s or 80s? It's interesting that so many different people claim to remember something so specific. I wonder if they're confusing him with Steve Biko?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4April 27, 2016 2:21 AM

This is one of my fave conspiracies! Not sure if I believe it cause it's so out there but I swear countries used to be...different somehow. And there were 52 states, I'm sure of it.

by Anonymousreply 5April 27, 2016 4:38 AM

Another one is "Mirror Mirror on the wall, who's the fairest of them all?" We all remember it as that. HOWEVER ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 27, 2016 7:00 AM

Who's the cute you tube guy? I missed seeing/hearing his name. What's his deal?

by Anonymousreply 7April 27, 2016 7:08 AM

It was the Berenstain Bears. Always. I used to wonder why they spelled it like that.

by Anonymousreply 8April 27, 2016 11:27 AM

Gabe Hohreiter, R7.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 27, 2016 11:36 AM

You're behind on the trend here. And I actually remember the day when I was ten years old and noticed it was Berenstain. Most names like that end in -stein so it's what you assume is correct until you actually pay attention...there's no story here

by Anonymousreply 10April 27, 2016 11:41 AM

I think some translations of the Brothers Grimm say "mirror, mirror", R6, so we might be remembering books rather than the Disney film. Also, they say "mirror, mirror" in SHREK:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 27, 2016 4:04 PM

It's not some grand universe altering thing. People remember things incorrectly, and lots of people remember things because they get mis-quoted or mis-contextualized in pop culture. Another one I've read is about a portrait of King Henry VIII with a leg of chicken, done in the style of a Master. I recall many cartoons with King Henry, and he usually had a turkey leg in his hand. He was fat and killed his wives.

Another Example: "I'm ready for my close up, Mr. DeMille", when it is really "Alright Mr. DeMille, I am ready for my close up". It's incorrectly quoted, so often, the correct line sounds wrong.

by Anonymousreply 12April 27, 2016 5:07 PM

"Play it again, Sam."

by Anonymousreply 13April 27, 2016 6:22 PM

This actually isn't misremembering the product, it's remembering what others said about the product, which wasn't entirely accurate. Ditto those movies lines.

by Anonymousreply 14April 27, 2016 6:25 PM

No one believes me, but I SWEAR I have vivid memories of Diana, Princess of Wales dying in a car crash in Paris. I even remember Elton John singing a particularly heartrending version of "Hakuna Matata" at her funeral.

by Anonymousreply 15April 27, 2016 7:54 PM

It's called MENTAL ILLNESS check into it

when I started drinking anti-psychotics it got rid of all these false memories and dejavu feelings

by Anonymousreply 16April 27, 2016 8:29 PM

This is such a weird type of conspiracy theory. How narcissistic do you need to be to think that instead of remembering something wrong the whole UNIVERSE has changed just to fuck with you?

My favorites are the ones about entire countries changing places on a map.

I do believe that there's always that 1% of these theories that are true. After all, historically some conspiracy loonies were proven right. One that I read about recently was how Hemingway used to tell people that the FBI was spying on him, hiding cameras and microphones on his home. People thought he was nuts, then years later FBI released their file on him, which proved he was indeed being watched. Might've been one reason why he killed himself.

by Anonymousreply 17April 27, 2016 8:51 PM

The internet is making everyone dumber.

by Anonymousreply 18April 27, 2016 9:03 PM

Bumping this thread because I just read an article about false memories of a 90s movie called "Shazaam", starring Sinbad the comedian as a genie. Anyone remember "seeing" it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19December 23, 2016 6:21 PM

Millennials can't ever be wrong. It's the universe that's wrong.

by Anonymousreply 20December 23, 2016 6:26 PM

I think this is like society's game of telephone. People hear fake information on things they're really not into and don't bother looking into. They believe it, pass it on to others who don't care to verify it, and it becomes a thing.

by Anonymousreply 21December 23, 2016 6:28 PM

The dude in the video - Gabe Hohreiter - is HAWT! Any info? Any dish? Cock size? Bottom or top?

by Anonymousreply 22December 23, 2016 6:35 PM

I remember those books- and even at 7 years old I could spell "Berenstain." Why is it so hard to believe that there could be some misprints in a few TV guides or multiple people remembering a name that sounds more common? Why would anyone think that multiple universes is a plausible explanation?

by Anonymousreply 23December 23, 2016 6:36 PM

One of the things that annoys me most about the Mandela Effect is its name. I wasn't around in the 70s to receive this false memory, but is there anyone in the past 20 years who was surprised to know Mandela was alive? He basically the most famous old man on earth besides the Pope. The effect seems to be of recent origin, named from a blog in 2010. I don't know how anyone would have been shocked at that point to know Mandela is alive, unless people are throwing all the way back to when they heard he was released from prison in 1990 and thought he had been dead, which is something I would be too young to have a memory of. So to me at least the name seems stupid. I do have a real example of it though- some years ago I was designing a poster for a Thanksgiving event and thought to put the painting of Henry VIII with a drumstick which seems to be widely known. I was shocked to discover it doesn't exist- but I am quite certain there have been depictions of it in popular media over the years, combined with a painting which looks vaguely like that, leading to the confabulation because it's not just me. It's silly how people assign paranormal meanings to this.

by Anonymousreply 24December 23, 2016 6:41 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25December 23, 2016 6:52 PM

I remember the Shazam movie with Sinbad

by Anonymousreply 26December 23, 2016 7:56 PM

This is trippy. I remember BerenstEin bears and the Sinbad movie, too.

by Anonymousreply 27December 23, 2016 9:43 PM

This is so old.

by Anonymousreply 28December 23, 2016 9:59 PM

Shazaam was real. Berenstein was real. I remember most of them. I thought people were just crazy when I first ran across an 80-something page thread of people screaming that New Zealand had changed places on the map, but more and more “changes” have come to light, ones I’m certain of having been different previously.

by Anonymousreply 29December 24, 2016 5:56 AM

My mother signed us up in a mailer book club so we got all of the Berenstain books. I distinctly remember being like 8 and thinking that the spelling did not match the way it's pronounced. Because of that, I am sure that it always had an A in it.

by Anonymousreply 30December 24, 2016 5:59 AM

r30, I learned how to pronounce Jewish names because of The Berenstein Bears. My mother and I had a long conversation about it. It happened. You may be from this time-line. Others of us have slid through from the land where it was -stein.

by Anonymousreply 31December 24, 2016 6:22 AM

R31, I was born in 1985 so I find it strange that people younger than me claim to have seen it spelled differently. I guess you're right. I'm from "this" time-line. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 32December 24, 2016 6:31 AM

This is too weird. I googled New Zealand. I thought it was northeast of Austrlalia. What's the conspiracy theory about where we came from and why we're here?

by Anonymousreply 33December 24, 2016 6:48 AM

Thanks, r25. I love the missing Thunderbird photo story.

And I think there are tiny, tiny number number of older Barenstain Bears memorabilia with the names misspelled but if you google image search now what you find is mainly deliberately photoshopped mistitlings.

by Anonymousreply 34December 24, 2016 7:01 AM

Apparently, Mongolia, which I thought ceased being a country hundreds of years ago, is still in existence.

by Anonymousreply 35December 24, 2016 7:13 AM

The Mandela Effect, aka Alternate Timelines....

by Anonymousreply 36December 24, 2016 7:18 AM

Why is Mongolia back? Have you ever met anyone from Mongolian or heard of a "Mongolian novelist" or "Mongolian politician"?

There are quite a few theories, as you might have guessed. The one that makes the most "sense" to me is that the particle physicists at CERN were uncautiously experimenting and somehow fragmented space-time which created a "leak". Either elements from our reality have fallen out of this hole and have been carelessly replaced in attempt to keep up from noticing something is wrong or elements from a contigious timeline have leaked in, replacing things we've known. There, also, seem to be at least three different set of people, based upon recall groupings of what has or hasn't changed. I think this theory is still compatible with the simulation theory. But the simulation theory requires belief that someone is running this experiment intentionally and that there was either something akin to a hard drive failure wiping out known facts or part of the experiment is to see how we respond to a sort of global gas-lighting.

by Anonymousreply 37December 24, 2016 10:39 AM

And now the nutjobs had found the thread, effectively killing it.

The universe isn't wrong, precious flowers. You are. People misremember things all the time. It's part of the human condition.

by Anonymousreply 38December 24, 2016 10:49 AM

[quote]I remember the Shazam movie with Sinbad

R26, This one is a pretty huge. An article came out about earlier this week. Tons of people remember seeing ads for the film or the film itself. I asked all of my friends and they'd seen it and they had. To find it never existed is a shock. What were we all really remembering?

A friend said,"Maybe you were confusing him with Shaq?" No, I wasn't. They don't even look alike.

That one I haven't solved yet.

The other Mandela Effect phenom I read about recently was from Queen's "We are the Champions." The part after they sing, "we are the champions" that says, ".... of the world." Doesn't exist. He doesn't say that. And yet I remember having to sing that in chorus class in school in the 90s. It was a "Queen/We Will Rock You" mashup. My guess was there was a different version at some point and that's what we're remembering.

The truth: I was right. also turns out "Of the world" was sung in versions from "The Mighty Ducks," "Revenge of the Nerds" and yes, in some musical books for performers. So while it isn't in the original song, they did say it or it was added in at some point.

by Anonymousreply 39December 24, 2016 10:56 AM

It's pretty obvious, isn't it...lots of Jewish/German names end in -stein. It's very common. -stain is rare. Our minds unthinkingly substitute stein because it's what we expect. Not that hard to believe.

by Anonymousreply 40December 24, 2016 11:06 AM

[quote] A friend said,"Maybe you were confusing him with Shaq?" No, I wasn't. They don't even look alike.

They don't have to look alike for your brain to make the switch. That's not how memory works.

by Anonymousreply 41December 24, 2016 11:11 AM

Also like everyone thinking Sarah Palin said she could see Russia from her house. Tina Fey on SNL is the one who said that. Palin said you can see Russia from Alaska, which is true. But Fey's line is repeated so often, people think Palin actually said it.

by Anonymousreply 42December 24, 2016 11:58 AM

How does memory work R41?

by Anonymousreply 43December 24, 2016 12:28 PM

r42, that's not a Mandela Effect phenom, that's you making something up that has nothing to do with thousands of people having experienced something that no longer exists. There are huge lists of Mandela Effects.

by Anonymousreply 44December 24, 2016 1:54 PM

Post the list.

by Anonymousreply 45December 24, 2016 2:01 PM

My mind never substituted "stein" for "stain." But I pronounced "ubiquitous" in my mind as if it were spelled "ubiquitious" until the first time I heard someone pronounce it correctly.

by Anonymousreply 46December 24, 2016 3:23 PM

r46 again, not a Mandela Effect, just you being dumb.

by Anonymousreply 47December 24, 2016 3:46 PM

r31 "from the land where it was -stein?"

You know you sound completely insane, right?

by Anonymousreply 48December 24, 2016 4:02 PM

r48, it may sound insane, but it’s still true.

by Anonymousreply 49December 24, 2016 6:08 PM

Don't google anything before you answer this question.

How many people do you remember in Kennedy's car when he was killed?

by Anonymousreply 50December 24, 2016 7:10 PM

Four

by Anonymousreply 51December 24, 2016 7:12 PM

Me too.

by Anonymousreply 52December 24, 2016 7:15 PM

I've never heard it as anything other than "-stain" in the books or on TV.

Why don't you ask Ruth Buzzi? She was the voice of Mama Bear in the original cartoons. If anyone would know, perhaps she would.

by Anonymousreply 53December 24, 2016 7:22 PM

6 in Kennedy's car. Driver, Secret Service Agent, Mr and Mrs Connelly, JFK and Jackie.

by Anonymousreply 54December 24, 2016 7:31 PM

I don't think an agent was riding in the car. I think he jumped in after the shooting started.

by Anonymousreply 55December 25, 2016 11:01 AM

R55, r54 is correct with the proviso that the driver was also SS. The agent that ran from the following car to Kennedy's at the sound of the gunfire was Clint Hill, who leaped onto the trunk where Jackie had crawled trying to retrieve pieces of Kennedy's brain and skull. Hill pulled Jackie back into the limo and shielded her as it sped away. So six people before the shots, seven after.

by Anonymousreply 56December 27, 2016 1:21 AM

One of the words several people, like I, remember being spelled differently is "dilemna", which is spelled "dilemma" in this timeline/universe.

But where I and thousands of others come from, we remember the bizarre spelling being "dilemna" with the freakish silent 'n'.

I spent 15 minutes fighting with my iMac keyboard 4 years ago about "dilemna" because the spell check kept "fixing" it to be "dilemma". Yet still, I have vivid memories of learning to spell it in school and then using the word in later years in my writings and always remember to spell it "dilemNa". But four years ago, this world hammered home that I was "wrong."

It doesn't make sense that a mind would make up a silent 'n' in such an insipid way. I also have the "Berenstein" memory but that one doesn't prove anything for me. "Dilemna" / "dilemma" does.

by Anonymousreply 57December 27, 2016 1:30 AM

Interesting article that shows where the "Shazaam" incorrect memory comes from.

But what about "dilemna"???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58December 27, 2016 1:53 AM

Picture your liver and where it is in your body. Now google images of the liver and human torso. Does it look the way you imagined or different?

by Anonymousreply 59December 27, 2016 2:07 AM

And the queen song "we are the champions " is the last line--it doesn't end "of the world " that line is earlier but most think it's the end line. And Star Wars doesn't have "Luke, I'm your father " no Luke

by Anonymousreply 60December 27, 2016 2:49 AM

Google Mandela Effect body changes. It's fucking freaky. I thought it might be an internet hoax so I went to the bookstore. I flipped through several anatomy books that all had the same changes. I do not remember things this way.

by Anonymousreply 61December 27, 2016 2:54 AM

BTW, when Kennedy's limo arrived at Parkland Hospital, Jackie pulled aside one of the surgeons evaluating Kennedy's condition in the ER and said she had something they would need. She then handed him a big clump of brains and skull fragments.

by Anonymousreply 62December 27, 2016 6:38 AM

r61, I don't understand about the rib cage, the brain stem, the heart placement. It's all too fucking weird.

by Anonymousreply 63December 27, 2016 6:55 AM

R63, look up skull changes, too. There's now a bone behind where your eyes are and a giant space behind your temples.

I can dismiss a lot of the misspellings but the body changes ... I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone.

by Anonymousreply 64December 27, 2016 7:17 AM

How is this possible?

by Anonymousreply 65December 27, 2016 5:47 PM

Some of it (not saying all) could be due to advancement in science & general knowledge.

What we think we know changes frequently as new data comes in through the use of better tech.

I think too many people make the mistake of thinking they are done learning because they learned it once 40ya...

by Anonymousreply 66December 27, 2016 6:09 PM

The "new" human body is what is so weird to me in regards to the ME . Humans didn't need modern technology to understand basic anatomy. All that was needed was to cut open cadavers which we've doing for centuries. How can so many people, including myself, remember the body differently?

by Anonymousreply 67December 27, 2016 6:19 PM

Is there a link that provides comparative analysis of an old & new medical text that show key differences?

by Anonymousreply 68December 27, 2016 6:23 PM

Isn't the "Mandela Affect" just stupid white people confusing Nelson Mandela with Stephen Biko, an anti-apartheid activist who actually died in a South African prison in 1977?

by Anonymousreply 69December 27, 2016 6:25 PM

The Mandela 'effect' is about much more than just Mandela...

by Anonymousreply 70December 27, 2016 6:27 PM

R68, in this new world the old body wouldn't exist. There wouldn't be a side by side analysis in official texts. The official remnants of the old world are supposed to be gone. What remains are our memories and some glitches that haven't been overwritten for lack of a better term.

It all sounds beyond crazy, I know! Go to the bookstore if you don't believe this new body is real and you remember it differently.

by Anonymousreply 71December 27, 2016 6:33 PM

Some old hoarding queen must have an old textbook lying around somewhere!

by Anonymousreply 72December 27, 2016 6:35 PM

We all remember Robert Townsend of The Who, right? Guess what? It's Robert TownSHEND with an H now. I shit you not.

by Anonymousreply 73December 27, 2016 9:51 PM

Wasn't his name Pete?

by Anonymousreply 74December 27, 2016 9:53 PM

R74, yes! That's what I meant. Still, it used to be Pete Townsend.

by Anonymousreply 75December 27, 2016 9:56 PM

I have distinct memories of noting as a young child that the "Berenstain Bears" was spelled with an A the first time I read the books - I made a poop stain joke about it to my brother.

I also think Stephen Biko and Nelson Mandela are getting mixed up in that memory.

And remember learning about the bone behind our eyes.

And have no recollection of Sinbad having made a genie movie named Shazam - only the similarly named Kazaam! starring Shaquille O'Neal and Sinbad playing some kind of pirate instead.

The only logical conclusion I can reach is that I'm a robot sent by the New World Order.

by Anonymousreply 76December 27, 2016 9:59 PM

R76, how many people do you remember being in JFK's car when he was shot?

by Anonymousreply 77December 27, 2016 10:02 PM

R77, I want to say 5 or 6 including JFK, the driver and Jackie O, but I'm no history buff about details like that, so I could be remembering wrong about what I was taught. But then maybe that's what the alien overlords programmed me to say...

by Anonymousreply 78December 27, 2016 10:14 PM

R78, I'm one of the people who remember there being 4 people in the car. If you google "JFK car replica" some of the car images have 3 rows of seats and some only have 2.

by Anonymousreply 79December 27, 2016 10:22 PM

I recall the secret service either running alongside or hanging on a sideboard

by Anonymousreply 80December 27, 2016 10:24 PM

I have weird ribs that aren’t like the old ribs or the new ribs. Can anyone with “normal” ribs confirm that kidney punches are now impossible?

by Anonymousreply 81December 28, 2016 5:27 AM

I have my own little theory about the Shazam/Sinbad ME:

I believe the ubiquity of Billy Mays and all those infomercials in the late 90s/2000s, where they regularly shouted things like "kaboom!" and "shazam!" which somehow sparked a response in those who were 90s kids to associate it with Sinbad, who looks like Mr. Clean.

I'm not high and I'm completely serious about this theory.

by Anonymousreply 82December 28, 2016 5:58 AM

For those of you who only remember 4 people in the JFK car, who did you think was driving it? Did you not know Governor Connelly and his wife were there? Connelly was shot too. Obviously a governor or president wouldn't be driving the car. I can't imagine the wives driving either. It makes sense to only remember the VIPs and forget the driver. I don't have a memory of the seeing the driver I just know there had to be one. I look at JFK and Jackie when I see footage. They were the focus of the camera men and I know what's coming so I'm naturally focused on them.

by Anonymousreply 83December 28, 2016 6:37 AM

In the other timeline, Connelly and his wife were in a different car, following them.

by Anonymousreply 84December 28, 2016 6:42 AM

I could've sworn his name was George Michaels until he died.

by Anonymousreply 85December 28, 2016 6:59 AM

The internet has made people stupid and narcissistic.

by Anonymousreply 86December 28, 2016 10:19 AM

Maybe people remember 4 people in the car because of the closeups that cropped out the drivers.

by Anonymousreply 87December 28, 2016 1:55 PM

Oh my GOD -- I hope we are not changing "-stein" to "-stain" in all names!!!

by Anonymousreply 88December 28, 2016 2:00 PM

This has got to be the most idiotic conspiracy theory yet.

Every single thing I have watched about it can be easily explained. We mis-remember things all the time, and often do so collectively because human brains work in much the same way.

But like all religions and superstitions, there is a built-in "confirmation bias" mechanism. If you remember things correctly, people will either say you are in on the conspiracy or are simply a part of the new universe and wouldn't know anyway.

Utter bollocks.

by Anonymousreply 89December 28, 2016 2:29 PM

What is this about? I'm too lazy to read the whole thread. I watched a Shane Dawson video on this, but I just got confused.

by Anonymousreply 90December 28, 2016 2:37 PM

R90, it is about self-absorbed special snowflakes remembering things wrong or not paying attention in school. But instead of admitting they are wrong about something or have false memories, they claim the entire universe has shifted, they are living in a new reality, and are "special" because they have memories of an alternate universe.

It is complete bullshit. Nothing to see here.

by Anonymousreply 91December 28, 2016 3:04 PM

Why does someone care so much that they want to sit around castigating people for getting this insignificance wrong?

by Anonymousreply 92December 28, 2016 3:24 PM

Speaking of moving countries, where's Iceland on a world map? Slightly northwest of Great Britain?

Nope. It's right off the eastern coast of Greenland. In fact, it's so much closer to Greenland than to Great Britain that it should be part of North America instead of Europe.

And remember when "Coca-Cola" had a squiggly dash between the two words? Nope. It's a dot. Apparently, it has "always" been a dot.

by Anonymousreply 93December 28, 2016 4:09 PM

That’s crazy. That dot is new, over the last two or three years.

I never knew exactly where Iceland was until a few years ago when something came up that caused me to look for it on a map. Right by Greenland is where it was then. Again, this was within the last few years.

What I’d like to know is whether a bunch of changes happened at once or if there are sort of incremental roll outs. I first became aware of the Mandela and New Zealand controversy about six years ago.

by Anonymousreply 94December 28, 2016 4:19 PM

I'm willing to dismiss a lot of the Mandela Effects to people not paying attention because things like product names and logos never mattered to them to begin with. I'm still scratching my head with over other things, though.

Does the upper right half of Texas look too thick to anyone else?

by Anonymousreply 95December 28, 2016 4:30 PM

The Coca Cola squiggle was there...

by Anonymousreply 96December 28, 2016 4:33 PM

Dot. Not dash. But it has always been this way. Hasn't it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97December 28, 2016 4:40 PM

Some theorize that the experiments at CERN are screwing with the space/time continuum. Opening portals and tearing the veil between dimensions. Some people will have clear, distinct memories from one timeline, while others will have memories from a different timeline. I believe, for example, that for all of my life and for as long as I can recall, JC Penny has always been JC Penny. Now it's JC Penney, and some people swear it always has been spelled that way. There are many natural explanations for why the spelling is now different from what I remember it to be, but that doesn't explain a lot of the other discrepancies that are being discovered/exposed. Like the Field of Dreams and Forrest Gump line changes, the changes to bible verses, Fruit Loops/Froot Loops, stuff like that. Little, minor changes which, on their own, wouldn't be remarkable. But there are enough differences being noted to make me wonder if maybe that LHC might be causing dimensional ripples or something. It's more interesting an idea than just presuming everyone is senile.

by Anonymousreply 98December 28, 2016 10:13 PM

Most of the examples of the Mandela Effect are easy to explain away. Kids probably subconsciously auto-corrected "BerenSTAIN" to "STEIN" in their own heads because the latter is a common surname ending. Many people are probably confusing Nelson Mandela with Steve Biko.

However, I do find the Sinbad/Shazaam phenomenon interesting. I don't believe in any of the paranormal explanations, but it's still an intriguing demonstration of how malleable memory can be. Some of the people claiming to have seen it are probably trolls, but I doubt all of them are. Even accounting for the probability that some are confusing Shazaam with Shaq's Kazaam, it's strange that all these unrelated people remember the same man (Sinbad) starring in a kid's film as a genie in the early nineties. How does that kind of false memory spread so far?

by Anonymousreply 99December 29, 2016 12:00 AM

R99, what do you think about people remembering the body differently?

by Anonymousreply 100December 29, 2016 12:01 AM

r100 ok, this is where i get a little lost. i DO NOT have that same phenomenom of the body parts ME. my image of human anatomy matches pretty much the exact same as the real deal, including the location of the heart.

by Anonymousreply 101December 29, 2016 3:01 AM

r101, then how do you explain the custom of placing the right hand over the heart on the left side of the body — if the heart has always been in the center of the body? Or is that not a custom in this timeline?

by Anonymousreply 102December 29, 2016 6:48 AM

R98 What line changes in "Field of Dreams"?

by Anonymousreply 103December 29, 2016 8:01 AM

r103, most of us remember the line as being: “If you build it, they will come”. The line is now and has “always” been, “If you build it, he will come."

by Anonymousreply 104December 29, 2016 8:03 AM

What about "dilemna"?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105December 29, 2016 2:38 PM

R104:

Both of those lines are in the movie.

ITS a developing situation as the movie unfolds.

I suspect many of these 'controversial' issues come from people who know the meme without any experience with the actual source material...

by Anonymousreply 106December 29, 2016 3:42 PM

It totally had an ’n’.

by Anonymousreply 107December 29, 2016 3:43 PM

bump

I'm surprised this hasn't been talked about more on here.

by Anonymousreply 108May 17, 2018 7:15 AM

If you are a grown adult, and you have any inkling that the "Mandela Effect" is an actual phenomenon that isn't people simply mis-remembering things, you're a fucking moron.

I knew all through the '80s that Nelson Mandela was in prison. Some right wingers called him a "terrorist." I recall very vividly his being released, his coming to New York with that insane harpy he was married to, and his eventually becoming President of South Africa in 1994. It was one of the stories of the century.

There is not one single example that can't be explained. To spend a second thinking about it is idiotic. If you're thinking it might be a real thing, take it as a sign that you're not very bright.

by Anonymousreply 109May 17, 2018 7:43 AM

I never thought "Berenstain" was anything other than "Berenstain."

I never thought Mandela died until he died recently (2013).

I don't remember about "dilemma," though. I think I did use to spell it with an "n."

by Anonymousreply 110May 17, 2018 8:27 AM

Rod Sterling or Rod Serling?

by Anonymousreply 111May 17, 2018 8:36 AM

Serling. Always.

by Anonymousreply 112May 17, 2018 8:37 AM

People getting hysterical over missremebering stuff.

by Anonymousreply 113May 17, 2018 9:10 AM

Sterling

by Anonymousreply 114May 17, 2018 9:18 AM

This is all so sadly delusional and self-centered. I can't imagine thinking "It's impossible for me to misremember something THEREFORE, THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE UNIVERSE."

Please, bitches. We used to lock people up for saying stupid shit like this.

by Anonymousreply 115May 17, 2018 9:30 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 116September 17, 2018 7:10 AM

I have a friend who is otherwise smart and sweet but he totally believes this shit. The new one is that Tom Cruise in Risky Business was wearing a white shirt, not pink, in the underwear dance. I only saw that movie once but I remember it being pink. It's exhausting trying to talk to these fucking people. and they always want to make you watch their video like that stupid loose change everyone was hucking 15 years ago. "Just watch the video and you'll understand!" No motherfucker, you can do trickery with videos, if it's so goddamn important, write it out, maybe I'll read it.

by Anonymousreply 117September 17, 2018 7:17 AM

It's a white shirt with red stripes, r117.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118September 17, 2018 7:22 AM

Thanks r118, this friend swears that it used to be white and that he wore sunglasses. I don't remember that, but again, I wasn't a huge fan of this movie. It seems like a dumb thing to think was "changed" but so does all the shit they bring up.

by Anonymousreply 119September 17, 2018 7:27 AM

I was thrilled I remembered it after all these years, r119.

by Anonymousreply 120September 17, 2018 7:29 AM

r116, thank you so much for that insightful contribution. It's a real joy having you here. Either stop with the idiotic bumping or die in a fucking grease fire. If you have nothing to say, which you clearly do not, don't fucking post.

Back on topic: I remember sunglasses, too. And I can't believe they were "always" never there at all.

I ran a cross a new Human Anatomy Mandela Effect:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121September 17, 2018 7:53 AM

I, too, remember Tom had sunglasses in that scene. Where did they go?

by Anonymousreply 122September 17, 2018 8:25 AM

Different scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123September 17, 2018 8:32 AM

Well, this lady from 2010 thought so too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124September 17, 2018 8:33 AM

And this guy from 2007.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125September 17, 2018 8:34 AM

SO not the right glasses. Or the right shirt.

by Anonymousreply 126September 17, 2018 8:36 AM

And another guy with a photo here in 2007, won a prize portraying Tom Criuse in Risky Business, wearing a white shirt and sunglasses.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127September 17, 2018 8:38 AM

Sunglasses.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128September 17, 2018 8:45 AM

There are endless photos of Tom Cruise Risky Business dance costumes on the net. People wearing them, sites selling them.

They all have sunglasses.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129September 17, 2018 8:53 AM

The way I remember it is he slid into the room wearing them, then took them off, and threw them to the side at the top of the song. They looked like Ray Bans.

by Anonymousreply 130September 17, 2018 9:03 AM

I guess the dog remembered it wrong too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131September 17, 2018 9:17 AM

Are there two different versions of the movie?

by Anonymousreply 132September 18, 2018 1:07 AM

r132, yes: one exists in this timeline and the other exists in the timeline where most of us first saw it.

by Anonymousreply 133September 18, 2018 1:10 AM

What color shirt do you remember him wearing in the latter timeline, r133?

by Anonymousreply 134September 18, 2018 1:14 AM

Okay, WHY would I remember being taught to spell the word as "dilemna", which thousands of people also remember?

We remember the silent N in there and being taught how to spell it.

That's not narcissistic.

by Anonymousreply 135September 18, 2018 1:15 AM

I thought "dilemma" had an "n," too, r135. Now it looks strange to me.

by Anonymousreply 136September 18, 2018 1:17 AM

I guess we all misremembered the bible verse about the lion lying down with the lamb. It actually was the wolf lying down with the lamb.

by Anonymousreply 137September 18, 2018 2:06 AM

r137, there are unicorns in the bible now, too!

by Anonymousreply 138September 18, 2018 2:08 AM

Oh FFS it has always been Berenstain Bears. I have several of the books in my garage as proof.

This is just one of many "misremembered" things from the past. And it's easy to see why so many people misremembered it. We are so accustomed to seeing stein on the end of so many names, as well as a stand alone name.

People and their conspiracy theories are really out of control these days. 30% of the US think Tupac Shakur is alive and living in Cuba. On the flip side, Eminem is clearly alive and still recording, and the same 30% believe he died and was cloned.

"He just doesn't look the same!!" Right dumbo. He's 20 years older and has stopped the fillers and let his hair go brown. It's called aging. An there are countless sites which morbidly feature Tupac dead as a door nail in the autopsy room. Not blurry photos--very sharp, clear pics.

by Anonymousreply 139September 18, 2018 3:40 AM

I always saw "Berenstain" as "Berenstain." I chalked it up to Ellis Island cuntescence.

by Anonymousreply 140September 18, 2018 6:47 AM

r136, it did have an 'n' in it...in the old timeline.

My theory is that space-time is an organism and these anomalies are DNA mutations. We're at the first point in known human history when we can record and revisit and compare memories en masse. This could be part of the natural order of things. And, if so, given what we know about entropy, instances of mutations will only increase until the organism we know as space-time dies.

I'm not closed to the parallel or leaky dimensions theories nor the possibility that someone traveled to the past and broke a glass.

by Anonymousreply 141September 18, 2018 7:00 AM

r134, white, 3 buttons buttoned.

by Anonymousreply 142September 18, 2018 7:01 AM

Anyone remember “Jiffy Peanut Butter” when they were a kid? Apparently it doesn’t exist and never did. It’s called Jif Peanut Butter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143September 18, 2018 8:07 AM

Yeah it's always been Jif, again, simple explanation, people confabulated "Jif" with "Skippy".

by Anonymousreply 144September 18, 2018 8:14 AM

Here's my lemma(go on, look it up) concerning the penultimate letter in DILEMMA being an N. There's a well-known phrase, "to be on the horns of a dilemma." I believe the n in horns was inadvertently transferred to the next-to-last position in dilemma. Or, the 2 juxtaposed m's were so close as to be difficult to read, and one was seen as an n. Take it for what it's worth.

There are also trilemmas.

Should I be concerned that the letters c, e, r and n as they appear in the word spell out the acronym for the aforementioned collider? Oh Mr. Serling(no t).....

by Anonymousreply 145September 18, 2018 10:20 AM

[quote]the letters c, e, r and n as they appear in the word

In what word?

by Anonymousreply 146September 18, 2018 10:31 AM

No. The Berenstain bears one is just a result of people expecting to see what they expect to see. -Stein is a very common ending for names. The -stain variant is rare. Therefore people just assume it says Berenstein without examining it. I distinctly remember the moment as a kid, maybe nine or ten that I noticed the A and realized I had been wrong about it.

by Anonymousreply 147September 18, 2018 10:31 AM

[quote]Jiffy Peanut Butter

Brain conflating Jif with Skippy

by Anonymousreply 148September 18, 2018 10:33 AM

I never confused Jif with Skippy.

by Anonymousreply 149September 18, 2018 10:37 AM

As a kid in Australia I loved The Berenstein books. Yes, BerenSTEIN. I distinctly remember asking my parents how to pronounce it. Stein was certainly not a common name in the part of the world I grew up in. I concede that many of the ME theories can be explained as cases of misremembering, but The Berenstein Bears convinced me of the accuracy of some part of the effect.

by Anonymousreply 150September 18, 2018 10:56 AM

It was never anything but BerenSTAIN.

by Anonymousreply 151September 18, 2018 10:58 AM

[quote] That's not narcissistic.

Believing that you remember a secret alternate timeline instead of acknowledging your own faulty memory and mistaken spelling IS THE HEIGHT OF NARCISSISM.

by Anonymousreply 152September 18, 2018 11:05 AM

[QUOTE]There are endless photos of Tom Cruise Risky Business dance costumes on the net. People wearing them, sites selling them.

I'm curious what you think this proves.

by Anonymousreply 153September 18, 2018 11:08 AM

I remember reading Stan and Jan BerEnstAin's "It's All in the Family" in my mother's McCall's magazines in the 1950s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154September 18, 2018 11:10 AM

[quote]I'm not closed to the parallel or leaky dimensions theories nor the possibility that someone traveled to the past and broke a glass.

No, apparently you're just closed to the only explanation that makes any sense: Memories are faulty. That's not as exciting because it means you're just like everyone else - and worse, that you're flawed - so time travel and leaky dimensions are what decided upon.

by Anonymousreply 155September 18, 2018 11:12 AM

[quote]I guess we all misremembered the bible verse about the lion lying down with the lamb. It actually was the wolf lying down with the lamb.

How did you make the leap from YOU remembering something incorrectly to EVERYONE doing it?

by Anonymousreply 156September 18, 2018 11:16 AM

[quote] I, too, remember Tom had sunglasses in that scene. Where did they go?

They didn't go anywhere. Your memories were wrong.

by Anonymousreply 157September 18, 2018 11:18 AM

[quote] I remember sunglasses, too. And I can't believe they were "always" never there at all.

Textbook narcissism.

by Anonymousreply 158September 18, 2018 11:21 AM

I learned about pronouncing Jewish names from 'The Berenstein Bears'. I can remember questioning my mother about whether it should be '-steen' or '-stine'. 'Steen' is what we went with.

by Anonymousreply 159September 23, 2018 3:36 AM

In the new century I think we will all be insane.

by Anonymousreply 160September 23, 2018 4:06 AM

What does it say about the brain if one has never been Mandela-effected?

by Anonymousreply 161September 23, 2018 1:14 PM

People miss-remembering things. How bizarre!!

by Anonymousreply 162September 23, 2018 1:20 PM

I watched Risky Business last night. The shirt is clearly pink (or red stripe-on-white), not white. No Ray Bans.

by Anonymousreply 163September 29, 2018 11:55 AM

He doesn't whip them off at the beginning and toss them aside??

There must be a word similar to dilemma that has an n. That ends in mna, I mean.

by Anonymousreply 164September 29, 2018 12:33 PM

[quote]He doesn't whip them off at the beginning and toss them aside??

Nope.

by Anonymousreply 165September 29, 2018 12:37 PM

[quote]He doesn't whip them off at the beginning and toss them aside??

He is not wearing sunglasses when he appears in the scene, and he quickly turns around and we see he isn't wearing any. The only thing he's holding is the candlestick holder he uses as his "mic."

by Anonymousreply 166September 29, 2018 1:15 PM

It is the only way I can explain both the Cubs and Trump winning in 2018.

by Anonymousreply 167September 29, 2018 1:26 PM

excuse me, 2016^^^

by Anonymousreply 168September 29, 2018 1:26 PM

In an interview in Canada's National Post, the BerenstAIns' son explains the unusual name.

But wait! In the REAL universe, there is no National Post, right? Wait -- we're all fools and suckers for believing there even is a Canada, am I right? Because when you were a child, the country above the US was Kazakhstan, you're 1000% SURE of that! And we've all been duped by the gubmint, or aliens, or DNA mutations, into believing in the existence of Canada, the National Post, or anything to do with the name Berenstain! OOOOOOoooooooh! SpooooooOOOOOooooky!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169September 29, 2018 1:32 PM

I wish I could find the image but someone posted a photo of a “BerenstEin Bears” book title that I specifically remember from my childhood - it was the book about the baby. It had the alternate spelling and looked exactly like I remembered that specific title.

My theory is that a book club licensed the titles and did their own reprints so it would match the size of their other books (they were all uniform) and some of these cheap book club reprints had mistakes? We had a whole shelf of them, they were probably 8-inch squares and there were Berenste/sin books as well as Richard Scarry and fairy tale adaptations and stuff like that.

All the others are conflations of things like Jif/Skippy, and people remembering Mandela being released from prison, etc. I’m way nostalgic and love finding old tv and stuff I remember as a kid and it’s always slightly off from what I remember. It doesn’t mean the universe is unstable just our memories.

by Anonymousreply 170September 29, 2018 2:33 PM

[quote]There must be a word similar to dilemma that has an n. That ends in mna, I mean.

Off the top of my head, the only words I can think of that have "mn" (other than those where the two letters are in different syllables, like "amniotic") are damn (and its variations), limn and mnemonic.

by Anonymousreply 171September 29, 2018 2:46 PM

Here’s that BerenstEin Bears book:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172September 29, 2018 2:52 PM

It's fake, R172. Look at the distance between the "e" and "i" in comparison to the other letters.

by Anonymousreply 173September 30, 2018 11:43 PM

[quote] All the others are conflations of things

Oh so the one you can't reconcile is real and not a fault of your memory, but all the other ones that you do not have a conflicting memory of are imaginary. OK. You must be fucking impossible to deal with about anything serious in real life.

by Anonymousreply 174September 30, 2018 11:48 PM

A friend of mine is addicted to meth, and he is OBSESSED with this Berenstain Bears nonsense. Prattles on about it for hours if you let him.

by Anonymousreply 175October 1, 2018 12:12 AM

I don’t think this is anything other than collective misremembering, but I still find it fascinating!

I remember spelling it dilemna in my earlier years too, but this was before computers were used in school so my teachers may have just not caught my mistake. And for some reason I think the word hymn made me think it was spelled that way, the silent “n.”

I also remember Mandela as dying, but I was only 7 or 8 when he was released from prison so I probably saw all the news about him and wasn’t paying close enough attention.

But i do love all the examples!

by Anonymousreply 176October 1, 2018 1:47 AM

Okay, the thread about Princess Eugenie has reminded me of an example of the Mandela Effect that's bothering me:

Years and years ago, Sky One (UK channel) kept running adverts for a programme hosted by Fergie (the ex-duchess, not the ex-Black Eyed Pea). It was called Sarah's Survival Stories and appeared to be an Oprah-style chat show. I never watched it, but I distinctly remember my dad groaning a the advert and saying what an embarrassment Fergie was. This would have been 1998 at the earliest, because my family didn't have cable before then.

However, I can't find any mention of the show on IMDB or anywhere else online. Does anyone else remember it, or is it a false memory?

by Anonymousreply 177October 7, 2018 10:48 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178October 7, 2018 11:06 PM

Jiffy also rhymes with Choosy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179October 7, 2018 11:23 PM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180October 7, 2018 11:43 PM

Alright that didn’t work too well. R177 , there is an ITV « panel discussion » show listed on Sarah’s wiki page, but no mention of a title. The redacted article, a review/rant on a few shows in 1998 mentions Sarah: Surviving Life. Nothing on IMDB, indeed.

by Anonymousreply 181October 7, 2018 11:49 PM

Thank you, R180! I wonder if Fergie scrubbed it from IMDB out of embarrassment.

by Anonymousreply 182October 7, 2018 11:52 PM

[quote] Jiffy also rhymes with Choosy.

Choosy moms choose Joof?

by Anonymousreply 183October 8, 2018 1:38 AM

I chif, chif, chif you, r183.

by Anonymousreply 184October 8, 2018 7:28 AM

r184 Let's bee friends!

by Anonymousreply 185October 8, 2018 7:54 AM

Fergie is still styled Sarah, Duchess of York, but has not been styled a Royal Highness since the divorce. Much the same as Meghan will eventually be.

by Anonymousreply 186October 8, 2018 8:05 AM

And her nickname Duchess of Pork.

by Anonymousreply 187October 8, 2018 8:10 AM

Do any of you remember Oregon being bombed multiple times?

[quote] Nobuo Fujita, a Japanese pilot who flew bombing runs over Oregon in 1942, apparently the only time that an enemy aircraft has ever bombed the American mainland, died on Tuesday at a hospital near Tokyo. He was 85....Mr. Fujita, whose incendiary bombs set off forest fires in Oregon's coastal range, played the key role in a quixotic plan by Japanese military commanders to put pressure on America's home turf in World War II. The idea was that the United States Navy would then be obliged to retreat from the Pacific to protect the West Coast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188October 9, 2018 1:59 AM

Always Berenstein for me growing up in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 189October 9, 2018 2:17 AM

R188, there were also balloon bombs that dropped on the West coast. I think one of them actually killed someone.

by Anonymousreply 190October 9, 2018 2:33 AM

All of you Mandela Effect deniers are clearly reptilians assisting in the cover-up.

by Anonymousreply 191October 9, 2018 2:38 AM

R3, its not hard. But the time traveling reptilian elite sometimes changes things. When they do it creates glitches in random shit. Im not wrong about this nor crazy.

by Anonymousreply 192October 9, 2018 2:42 AM

Never have I even them referred to as Stain always Steen.

by Anonymousreply 193October 9, 2018 2:51 AM

Berenstain isn’t even a believable last name. Berestein is clever and real. Is Einstain next?

Is this a glitch in the simulation?

by Anonymousreply 194October 9, 2018 3:00 AM

I remember “-stain” because it made me think of poop stains.

by Anonymousreply 195October 9, 2018 3:01 AM

The Golden Gals.

by Anonymousreply 196October 9, 2018 3:11 AM

r190, the "coast" as in into the pacific ocean or onto the land that abuts the sea?

by Anonymousreply 197October 9, 2018 3:13 AM

For those who believe, why does it matter?

Supposed you could prove this time-hole parallel universe theory. So what?

by Anonymousreply 198October 9, 2018 3:17 AM

I believe in a lot of conspiracy shit but I think the Mandela effect is bs. I'm one of those people who has an excellent memory and I'm always shocked at how little most people are able to remember or how incorrect their memories are.

by Anonymousreply 199October 9, 2018 3:31 AM

r199 Bernstein or Berenstain?

by Anonymousreply 200October 9, 2018 3:34 AM

Let me guess—stain, right R199?

by Anonymousreply 201October 9, 2018 3:35 AM

r198 do you think knowledge of gravity and human anatomy is pointless, too? Is there any learning that you do approve of or consider "worthwhile"?

by Anonymousreply 202October 9, 2018 3:41 AM

r199, without looking at a picture, describe Rodin's sculpture "The Thinker".

by Anonymousreply 203October 9, 2018 3:42 AM

R197, the Japanese launched 9,000+ balloon bombs. They landed all over the place, including a bunch in Oregon, with a couple even reaching the midwest. They were way more widespread than I thought. Most of them did no damage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204October 9, 2018 3:55 AM

[quote] They were way more widespread than I thought.

...Or you could have thought right and the event was Affected.

by Anonymousreply 205October 9, 2018 3:57 AM

Hold still so I can slap you, R205.

by Anonymousreply 206October 9, 2018 4:09 AM

The 3 Little Pigs was changed.

[quote] Three little pigs: "I'll huff, and I'll puff, and I'll blow your house ___"?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207October 9, 2018 4:12 AM

[quote]Three little pigs: "I'll huff, and I'll puff, and I'll blow your house ___"?

Is it "boy?"

by Anonymousreply 208October 9, 2018 4:13 AM

R207, The story goes back hundreds of years, at least. There are lots and lots of different versions out there. It's not a false or changed memory.

by Anonymousreply 209October 9, 2018 4:27 AM

r209, I'm aware of that, but it's also not the point. The story, as told in English, for as long as I and most English speaking people remember it had the line "blow your house down". "Blow your house in" was never the line. Now, not only is "Blow your house in" the "official" line, but 90%+ of search results for - 3 OR three little pigs "blow your house" - show results with the line "blow your house in". Most of the "blow your house down" results are for Mandela Effect related discussions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210October 9, 2018 5:42 AM

No, that really is the point. It's a folktale with lots of different versions, none of them "official." It's old and in the public domain making it both well known and freely usable, so it's a story that's been told and retold a lot. "Blow your house in" is the line used in old cartoons. I think that's why so many people remember it that way. There's nothing spooky or unusual about it at all.

by Anonymousreply 211October 9, 2018 5:57 AM

r211, in English, the story was told with the line "blow your house down". It doesn't matter how it was phrased in any other language. That's irrelevant. The story every pre-schooler in the US learned had the line "blow your house down". [bold]Now[/bold], the English version of the story had the line "blow your house in". I'm not sure why you don't understand what the conflict there is or why you mischaracterize it as having anything to do with "unspooky" or "usual" things.

by Anonymousreply 212October 9, 2018 6:26 AM

r198 The reason it matters is because all these tin hats are losers, seriously. And if they can point out that the deck is stacked against them anyhow, it will explain why they just can't win. Never mind that even if the deck is stacked, you may as well still play the game. This whole thing just goes along with the mindset about how the man holds them down. This is a way to never take responsibility for your life. How can you accomplish anything when the goalposts are literally always moving?

by Anonymousreply 213October 9, 2018 6:27 AM

Oh cool Blackout Brett has joined us. Everybody cover your hole and cross your legs.

by Anonymousreply 214October 9, 2018 6:29 AM

[quote][R198] do you think knowledge of gravity and human anatomy is pointless, too? Is there any learning that you do approve of or consider "worthwhile"?

Why the fuck would you put “worthwhile” is quotes as if I actually said it?

You flatter yourself that the speculations you are making have any connection to science.

by Anonymousreply 215October 9, 2018 9:39 AM

Okay, when I posted r215, I KNOW I wrote “in quotes”, but now it says “is quotes”.

Amazing. You guys were right. The only possible explanation is a hole in the time-space continuum.

by Anonymousreply 216October 9, 2018 9:51 AM

R212, who said anything about other languages?

I understand your point perfectly well. You're dismissing a real, rational, and obvious explanation in favor of some sort of mysticism. Folktales like this can vary with place and time, even within the same language, among the same people, and over a short time. There's absolutely nothing unusual about the most popular version of a line in a folktale changing over time.

There is no conflict. It's simply the way folklore works.

by Anonymousreply 217October 9, 2018 1:04 PM

When I was a little kid, my friend's mother used to point out the different spellings of The Berenstain/Berenstein Bears; she said that the "Berenstein" bears (last part she'd pronounce STINE) were the Jewish cousins.

by Anonymousreply 218October 9, 2018 1:11 PM

I absolutely do not remember Stain. Only Stein. It even looks different to me—not even the same characters. I wanna go back to my Stein world. The Stain world is a stain.

by Anonymousreply 219October 9, 2018 1:17 PM

I was an 80s kid and I distinctly remember it as "Blow your house in", it seemed really old-fashioned and weird to me at the time.

by Anonymousreply 220October 9, 2018 1:23 PM

I’ve only ever known it as blow your house in.

It rhymes

Little pig, little pig, let me come in or I’ll blow your house IN.

by Anonymousreply 221October 9, 2018 1:36 PM

Jack Torrence even says it like that R221.

by Anonymousreply 222October 9, 2018 1:40 PM

r217 you don't understand the concept of this thread at [bold]all[/bold], if you think mysticism or the supernatural has anything to do with The Mandela Effect.

by Anonymousreply 223October 9, 2018 3:05 PM

r216 pays people to shit in her mouth.

by Anonymousreply 224October 9, 2018 3:05 PM

r221, the rhyme for "let me in" is "not by the hair of my chinny, chin, chin" not "blow your house down"

by Anonymousreply 225October 9, 2018 3:11 PM

R216 is such a classic Datalounge response I tittered aloud

by Anonymousreply 226October 9, 2018 3:11 PM

Long discussion of the 3 Little Pigs Effect

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227October 9, 2018 3:12 PM

Yeah I know R225

I blanked on part of it

But the response as I’ve always known is

“I’ll huff and I’ll puff and I’ll blow your house IN” which rhymes with chin.

by Anonymousreply 228October 9, 2018 3:21 PM

This whole thread reminds me of exactly why eyewitness testimony is so worthless in court cases. People remember things differently, and I would hate to think someone's life was depending on a witness's memory of an event.

I remember watching a documentary about a black teen in Jacksonville who was wrongly charged with killing an old white woman staying in a motel with her old husband. One of the main reasons the poor kid was charged was that the old timer stated, "Yes, that is him(sic). I will never forget that face as long as I live."

Years later when the mess was finally cleared up(someone else was found to be the actual culprit,) the black man who actually DID kill the old woman looked absolutely nothing like the boy wrongly accused and initially convicted.

Thank god for DNA and other forms of evidence which have replaced eyewitness testimony as the end all/be all of courtroom proof.

by Anonymousreply 229October 9, 2018 3:43 PM

My mom corrected me a long time ago that it was Beren-STAIN, not Beren-STEEN.

Slightly off topic. What was that series of cartoon books that had a family that looked like potatoes. The son had buck teeth and the mother wore a hat, pearls and carried a purse. Their hair looked like little lines. Help me, DL.

by Anonymousreply 230October 9, 2018 3:44 PM

The Stupids?

by Anonymousreply 231October 9, 2018 3:46 PM

They were along the lines of the Berenstain Bears, Richard Scarry and Little Golden Books.

by Anonymousreply 232October 9, 2018 3:50 PM

Wait, did the "Jackie with a gun" psycho bump this thread?

by Anonymousreply 233October 9, 2018 3:55 PM

[quote][R216] pays people to shit in her mouth.

That’s about as good an argument as you’ve put forward anywhere else in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 234October 10, 2018 12:24 AM

The Thinker.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235October 10, 2018 6:09 AM

The Thinker never had his fist to his forehead.

by Anonymousreply 236October 10, 2018 6:30 AM

The thinker had his fist under his chin, don't believe me? Watch Dobie Gillis, unless CERN changed that too!

by Anonymousreply 237October 10, 2018 6:41 AM

blocked trolls don't know they're blocked

by Anonymousreply 238October 10, 2018 6:43 AM

...or care

by Anonymousreply 239October 10, 2018 10:11 AM

I think it's a quantum physics thing, that if X amount of thought energy isn't being directed toward an "object" that the unobserved object will change and may even cease to exist. And something about ideas being a dimensional matter.

by Anonymousreply 240October 14, 2018 8:00 AM

OP i can’t watch that insistent, “yelly” host.

CALM DOWN, MARY!

by Anonymousreply 241October 14, 2018 8:10 AM

Very interesting r240.

by Anonymousreply 242October 14, 2018 8:58 AM

r242, There's a short story by Steven Millhauser called 'The Disappearance of Elaine Coleman' that you might like, which explores sort of this quantum physics theory that the unobserved ceases to exist into practice. I'd link to it for you, if I could find a link to it but I cannot.

by Anonymousreply 243October 14, 2018 7:54 PM

"Object Permanence" is a stage of child development that I think kids hit when they are like 4 of 5. People still exist even when you don't see them. Only emos and tinhats fail to get that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244October 14, 2018 7:57 PM

r244, dude, fucking learn something:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245October 19, 2018 5:43 AM

Interesting r245.

by Anonymousreply 246October 19, 2018 10:33 AM

Bump for link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247March 7, 2019 7:16 AM

Most of these I think can be explained away by bad memories. However, the JFK one freaks me out. That middle row wasn't there before.

by Anonymousreply 248March 7, 2019 7:28 AM

r247 No, Jason. The dumbest thing is your saying "aboot" twice in the first 18 seconds.

by Anonymousreply 249March 7, 2019 9:10 AM

r247 The way Jason is leaning back on his hands makes me wonder if someone is giving him a blowjob while he's taping.

by Anonymousreply 250March 7, 2019 9:18 AM

It was always Jif - "Choosy mothers choose Jif."

These are the ones I remember differently (this way) :

The lion lying down with the lamb - I have seen paintings of this. 'If you build it, they will come.' 'Luke, I am your father.' 'Mirror, mirror on the wall..' The Thinker, hand on chin 'Life was like a box of chocolates.'

by Anonymousreply 251March 7, 2019 9:29 AM

There was/is Jiffy Lube. Maybe that’s what people are confusing Jif with.

by Anonymousreply 252March 7, 2019 11:51 AM

I don't think they taste at all alike, r252.

by Anonymousreply 253March 7, 2019 11:52 AM

R251, I remember them that way, too. I remember most of South America being directly under the U.S. Now it's not. Others remember it the way I do. I don't think that many people can misremember something so important. But I also don't know what the alternative is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254March 7, 2019 5:48 PM

Anyone who gives any serious credence to the Mandela Effect is a fucking moron. I swear to Christ this country gets dumber by the year.

by Anonymousreply 255March 7, 2019 5:51 PM

South America is right where it has always been. Spanish-speaking countries are right below the US, right where they have always been. South America is south, and east, of those countries.

by Anonymousreply 256March 7, 2019 5:53 PM

My brother has our late father's old Rand-McNally globe from the 1950s and New Zealand 🇳🇿 is exactly where it appears to be now.

by Anonymousreply 257March 7, 2019 6:30 PM

Let's make more fun of the idiots who believe this garbage.

by Anonymousreply 258March 11, 2019 12:08 AM

Moron bump.

by Anonymousreply 259March 11, 2019 9:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!