Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Beyonce

I just don't get her. I know she's beloved. I liked Single Ladies well enough. She's about my age so I'm no gramps. I just don't get why she's the heir apparent (or current queen) to the pop star A-List.

I get Madonna, Cher, Whitney, Janet, Mariah, Britney, Gaga, Adele and Rihanna. It's not the strength or tone of her voice or lack thereof. Pop stars transcend actual musical talent. It's her aura. It's boring. It's not interesting in the least. The others I listed (and I'm sure I missed a few others) were at least fascinating/mysterious/infuriating during their peak. Beyonce just smiles, looks good and let's others do the heavy lifting. It's odd.

But what do I know?

by Anonymousreply 262November 7, 2019 2:58 AM

"Madonna, Cher, Whitney, Janet, Mariah, Britney, Gaga, Adele and Rihanna."

That isn't a list of equals.

Madonna, Cher and Whitney are in the Pantheon due to the number of hits they've had and impact on pop culture. They're divas with successes in more than one field.

Janet and Mariah are...up for debate. I don't think they quite belong in the Pantheon. They're manufactured talents at best. Janet's not a great singer. Mariah had a voice but not much artistry.

Britney. Puh-leeze. She's a hillbilly that had a handful of hits and had a breakdown. She's not even 40 and she's a Vegas queen.

Jury is still out for Gaga and Adele. Too soon. But, they both have a lot of genuine talent.

Rihanna is a lightweight. Beyonce is all style and not really much substance. She's Diana Ross without the charisma.

by Anonymousreply 1April 26, 2016 8:27 AM

[quote] She's about my age so I'm no gramps.

Really? Is this a 'let's pretend' thread?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2April 26, 2016 8:28 AM

Good queation, OP. When you think of Cher, Whitney or Adele you think of the voice. Some of the others you think of as entertainers with their wind machines and backup dancers. Beyonce can sing and dance, she's attractive and she's mega rich. She controls her image to the point that no one knows what she's really like. She is like a blank slate and it allows her fans to imagine her to be who they want her to be. That is a big part of her draw.

None of that answers your question.

by Anonymousreply 3April 26, 2016 9:21 AM

You are completely right. Beyonce is boring as hell.

by Anonymousreply 4April 26, 2016 9:26 AM

She can sing, sure, but there's nothing interesting about her as a person that qualifies her for 'icon' status. I get the feeling that she aims to have the same level of cultural impact as Madonna, but I don't think she has the intelligence and creativity for that plan to ever be fully realised. And in spite of her now lengthy solo career most people wouldn't be able to hum more than a couple of her songs (Crazy in Love and Single Ladies) off the top off their heads. As fawning as the media is over her, it's the public who bestows iconic status on any celebrity.

by Anonymousreply 5April 26, 2016 9:50 AM

I get confused when cultural critics talk about how deep and important her songs and videos can be and all the "agency" she displays as a Black Woman, but the persistent story on DL is that she can sing and dance but is as dumb as a box of rocks.

by Anonymousreply 6April 26, 2016 10:18 AM

It's not the riddle of the Sphinx. She's an entertainer. Why does it require some deep analysis? Nothing she "creates" has any effect on the legislature, science, the economy, employment. She shakes her ass and tits to an 808 beat. That's about it.

by Anonymousreply 7April 26, 2016 10:42 AM

[quote] Janet and Mariah are...up for debate. I don't think they quite belong in the Pantheon. They're manufactured talents at best. Janet's not a great singer. Mariah had a voice but not much artistry.

I don't know how one can say this with a straight face but then say Whitney and Cher belong in this so-called "Pantheon" when it's clear that without Clive Davis and Sonny Bono those two wouldn't be huge superstars. Clive Davis hand picked all of Whitney's songs for her to sing and she's as manufactured as any pop star. None of her albums are considered classics by music critics nor were her movies critical success. Whitney and Cher will never be in Barbra Streisand's league as a singer/actress.

And like it or not, Mariah and Janet has made a big cultural impact in music, to the point where you can see their influences on the artists of today. Their sales/stats backs up their legendary status as icons.

by Anonymousreply 8April 26, 2016 10:46 AM

Beyonce is dumb as a box of rocks. And as interesting as watching paint dry. Young welfare negroes look up to her. Nobody else does.

by Anonymousreply 9April 26, 2016 11:54 AM

You could've made that point without the racist, classist language, R9.

by Anonymousreply 10April 26, 2016 12:08 PM

Whitney had other options when she decided to sign with Arista, namely Elektra. Her first album is considered a classic. Waiting to Exhale and My Love is Your Love are also critically acclaimed. Clive also isn't the great business mind that everyone takes him to be. For instance, she had to push for Bodyguard Soundtrack to happen because he didn't think it would be a success. He has gone on record saying he didn't tell her how to dress and Whitney acts a lot like Dionne so I'm sure he didn't teach her how to conduct interviews either. Honestly, her career probably would have been better off without him. I think she became a legend in spite of him not because of him because like you said, most of the songs he picked are weak. Her natural talent made them shine.

by Anonymousreply 11April 26, 2016 12:25 PM

Manufacture that

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12April 26, 2016 12:26 PM

I'm not denying that Whitney is a legend and icon, that's undisputed, and her tragic death only makes her an even bigger icon similar to the likes of Bessie Smith, Billie Holiday and Dinah Washington. But R1's argument is that her talent made her an icon while Janet and Mariah were manufactured and doesn't belong in the same group. I disagree with that. I'm old enough to remember when all these singers were huge superstars and they all had that special "IT" factor to them. So, yes, Janet and Mariah are often placed in the same class as Whitney and Madonna (I don't include Cher because she's from a different generation and is often linked with the big divas from the 60s/70s like Barbra, Aretha, Diana, Tina, .etc) They've all either sold nearly the same amount domestically or worldwide, made a cultural impact through music videos, television, movies, dance, fashion, .etc, or it was their undeniable singing talent made them memorable and influential.

And let's keep it real, the majority of her albums only had three to four good songs on them while the rest had nothing but fillers. She was never known as someone who created art in the studio, she was more of an artist when she sang and performed live. Like so many producers who worked with her and said in the past, she was known to just come into the studio and sing the songs. She was never hands-on about the process of making a great album and looked at singing the tracks simply as a job, nothing more, nothing less.

I think all the superstars has something special about them that made them unique and memorable. Janet and Mariah are icons and legends. And R1 is incorrect about "They're divas with successes in more than one field." Madonna's only been a huge success in one field and that's music. Her film career is considered a joke in the industry as an actress and film director.

by Anonymousreply 13April 26, 2016 1:07 PM

[quote] Janet and Mariah are...up for debate. I don't think they quite belong in the Pantheon. They're manufactured talents at best. Janet's not a great singer.

Neither is Madonna and she was as manufactured as Janet. Janet has memorable songs and nearly as many hits as Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 14April 26, 2016 1:15 PM

I can't take the OP seriously because Bey is seriously better than at least half of those people on the list.

by Anonymousreply 15April 26, 2016 6:08 PM

To you, R15, she may be better. It depends on what you expect from the performer. A lot of us appreciate listening to the music and the voice. Some of the best singers in the world can sit on a stool and mesmerize the audience. I don't mean to take away from the entertainers who do other things on stage because that's their act and their fans want it and expect it.

by Anonymousreply 16April 26, 2016 11:22 PM

She is moving into Tammy Wynette/George Jones territory with this new CD/album.........I liked some of the Destiny's Child tunes and her first solo single CRAZY IN LOVE...but you could not pay me to go see her live...........the empress has no clothes and her current tour will be as large as the U2 360 tour..........a lot of bells/whistles/smoke mirrors..........will be interesting to see how much lip synching (if any) is done this trek......

by Anonymousreply 17April 26, 2016 11:30 PM

I try not to bring up my distaste for Beyoncé with my friends. They're so obsessed with her. I mean, I could insult Jesus Christ on Facebook and Twitter, and it would provoke less outrage than "Honestly, I don't get Beyoncé". I don't tell my friends to stop loving Beyoncé more than they love God or their own children; they shouldn't tell me to stop hating her.

by Anonymousreply 18April 26, 2016 11:41 PM

She doesn't sing - she yells. And the tonal quality of her voice is dull. She sounds like a retard when she sings, and an even bigger retard when she talks.

by Anonymousreply 19April 27, 2016 12:02 AM

[quote]I try not to bring up my distaste for Beyoncé with my friends. They're so obsessed with her.

People are weird as fuck about her.

She's ok, but in a mediocre relatively attractive pop star way. Doesn't really stand head and shoulders above many other singers.

by Anonymousreply 20April 27, 2016 12:02 AM

[quote]I get confused when cultural critics talk about how deep and important her songs and videos can be and all the "agency" she displays as a Black Woman, but the persistent story on DL is that she can sing and dance but is as dumb as a box of rocks.

It's well known she's not that bright. But she and her team have been very canny about presenting her and curating her music. The past few years she's taken poems/music/art from various real artists, particularly black women, and re-shaped her presentation from "cute girl band bimbo who sings trash like bootylishous" to "powerful, deep african american woman who understands your struggle too sister".

by Anonymousreply 21April 27, 2016 12:06 AM

Beyonce is dumber than a box of hair. Have none of you ever listened to her talk in interviews? So stupid.

by Anonymousreply 22April 27, 2016 12:12 AM

I hate the fact she's blonde. It's almost as self-loathing as MJ's nose jobs.

by Anonymousreply 23April 27, 2016 12:12 AM

I saw Beyoncé at Burger King. She was eatin', she was eatin'.

by Anonymousreply 24April 27, 2016 12:16 AM

For your own discerning listening enjoyment

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25April 27, 2016 12:20 AM

I'm so so so so so so so tired of everyone worshipping this exceedingly dull woman. Also her sister Solange is a talentless, arrogant, charmless individual and SJW asshole.

by Anonymousreply 26April 27, 2016 12:21 AM

Single Ladies was a good song and video, but other than that one song, I don't listen to her. I didn't know why so many were referencing lemonade on social media a few days ago.

by Anonymousreply 27April 27, 2016 12:26 AM

Oprah rode her big time at the beginning. She thought she was Ed Sullivan giving the world Diana Ross.

by Anonymousreply 28April 27, 2016 1:03 AM

[quote]They're divas with successes in more than one field.

Madonna's movie career has been a success? Did you type that with a straight face?

by Anonymousreply 29April 27, 2016 1:16 AM

I can figure out Beyoncé's success to a point.

I'm still baffled as to how Britney Spears became anything more than a novelty act.

by Anonymousreply 30April 27, 2016 1:18 AM

R30, Britney was blonde, pretty, supposedly a virgin and had a good body. It's similar to Bieber's popularity.

by Anonymousreply 31April 27, 2016 1:29 AM

Dear r10, shove a skunk up your ass in your safe place.

by Anonymousreply 32April 27, 2016 1:45 AM

Beyoncé started out as the lead of Destiny's Child. She wasn't interesting enough or strong enough to stand alone, unlike Adele and Rhianna. I think she's just been lucky enough to have a brilliant team behind her.

by Anonymousreply 33April 27, 2016 1:49 AM

That, and marrying Jay Z, and becoming associated strongly with Obama. It was all the perfect storm.

by Anonymousreply 34April 27, 2016 1:53 AM

How many Grammys does she have?

by Anonymousreply 35April 27, 2016 1:53 AM

Over 20, I think.

by Anonymousreply 36April 27, 2016 1:59 AM

Beyonce doesn't have as much control over her voice as the people that you've mentioned. She's more novice.

by Anonymousreply 37April 27, 2016 2:01 AM

She more no-voice.

by Anonymousreply 38April 27, 2016 2:02 AM

We're you making a point with your question? If your question is real, Google it. In case you're interested, Kanye has one more than her. How about that?

by Anonymousreply 39April 27, 2016 2:03 AM

I don't get her either. Plus, I think she's dumb as shit and that bothers me.

When she performed at the Super Bowl I told someone in my office that she looked like a Clydesdale on stage, stomping around and throwing her mane.

by Anonymousreply 40April 27, 2016 2:06 AM

No one with taste thinks there is anything special about Beyonce. She's been force fed to us. Sure, she's been associated with some great songs but her singing voice is really mediocre and her looks are good/ethnicizing plastic surgery

by Anonymousreply 41April 27, 2016 2:07 AM

I don't get her. She's all hype, honestly...

by Anonymousreply 42April 27, 2016 9:45 AM

She was good on the Superbowl, except there was a sound problem that wasn't her fault so I couldn't enjoy it as much. But she was fierce.

I love her. I'm sorry. Her and Rihanna are the only two pop girls that matter anymore IMO.

by Anonymousreply 43April 27, 2016 9:53 AM

Black women hate Rhianna and I love her. I don't think she has a magnificent voice, but I find her songs and style interesting. Beyonce is just boring as hell.

by Anonymousreply 44April 27, 2016 10:31 AM

I'm sorry she feels she was forced into being a singer by her controlling stage parents, but bitch is pushing 40 - grow up, take your money and retire out of the limelight.

But she won't, of course. Much like Madonna, Michael Jackson, et al, bitch does not want to live off-camera or off-stage because she's a first class narcissist.

by Anonymousreply 45April 27, 2016 4:59 PM

Some recognition of what a massive twat Solange is, please DL!!!

by Anonymousreply 46April 27, 2016 8:06 PM

How is she associated with Obama?

She must have produced at least one huge hit that everybody loved, otherwise I can't figure and I don't listen to her music. I really don't like her blond hair...sorry, it looks cheap to me.

by Anonymousreply 47April 27, 2016 8:16 PM

Cherry has retired, right?

I think Cherry quit acting because it was too much work. She is a Taurus, she doesn't really like hard work.

by Anonymousreply 48April 27, 2016 8:19 PM

I was indifferent to Beyonce. If her songs came on the radio, it wouldn't change the station.

But, I gotta admit: I found "Formation" mesmerizing. Beyonce seemed to have real message now. Sinking that police car while looking fabulous.

And she did not smile in that video. I love more serious Beyonce. I'm interested to see what she does with "Lemonade".

Black Power! Red Lobster!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49April 27, 2016 8:41 PM

I feel empowered just watching those jiggling tits.

by Anonymousreply 50April 27, 2016 8:44 PM

R49 is drinking the Kool-aid. Washing down that fake crab from Reb Lobster.

by Anonymousreply 51April 27, 2016 10:29 PM

WTH is Cherry?! r48

by Anonymousreply 52April 28, 2016 12:30 AM

The only thing that can stop her at this point is if she's caught making offensive remarks about a minority group...everything she says is so filtered and she is so limited by her handlers by the press, it will be impossible.

by Anonymousreply 53April 29, 2016 2:30 PM

Black don't crack so Beyoncé is here to stay.

by Anonymousreply 54April 29, 2016 3:52 PM

Whether you like her or not, that's fine. It's your opinion. However, Beyonce is not only one of the most commercially successful artists, but also the most critically acclaimed pop star at the moment. Her song Crazy in Love is in several all-time greatest song lists, including that of Rolling Stones Magazine and NME. It is widely regarded by critics as one of the best songs of all time. Her last two albums also widely received critical acclaim. Her recent album gets a 92/100 metacritic score. Madonna, Prince, Barbra and many other music iconds are fans of her. (well Barbra may not be anymore since Beyonce refused to sing with her in her duet album coming out a few years ago. )

by Anonymousreply 55April 29, 2016 4:21 PM

Some people think she's overrated despite all of the critical acclaim. She's prepacked to the point of unoriginality.

by Anonymousreply 56April 29, 2016 4:32 PM

I like her. She's my favorite pop star.

by Anonymousreply 57April 30, 2016 6:05 AM

Why is it wrong to not like her?

by Anonymousreply 58April 30, 2016 5:10 PM

I wasn't comparing Beyonce's talent with the other pop stars I listed. I merely stated each had their day in the sun as the biggest in the world. Most had/have a paucity of talent, frankly. But I understood why fans went crazy over those listed, despite of their lack of actual talent. They had that It factor, if only for a little while. Beyonce is just utterly boring to me.

And I finally listened to Lemonade and quite like a few of the songs. I'm not a hater. I just don't get why she's so big. But like someone stated upthread, I don't have to understand. It's not rocket science and doesn't really effect me.

by Anonymousreply 59May 1, 2016 6:05 AM

I usually can't stand pop singers, but I love Beyoncé (as a singer, not actress) for a few reasons. First of all, she doesn't play it safe. She works with a variety of producers and artists to create unique songs, without relying heavily on sampling. Secondly, she's unabashedly Texan. She's not trying to pretend she's refined and ladylike just because she's on the cover of Vogue or dining at the White House. Lastly, she's a woman, not a girl. It speaks volumes that the biggest name in music is in her mid-30s and not some teenage pop tart or bland while girl (even Taylor Swift has to take a backseat to Bey).

by Anonymousreply 60May 1, 2016 6:11 AM

But does anyone think Formation is actually a good song?

by Anonymousreply 61May 1, 2016 6:12 AM

That's a good question, R61. I personally don't, but the overall messag resonates.

by Anonymousreply 62May 1, 2016 6:15 AM

But does the song itself have a message, outside of the video. All I hear is I slay, I slay and that dumb bit about Red Lobster thrown it.

by Anonymousreply 63May 1, 2016 6:19 AM

I am from New Orleans and while I am not in Bey's target demo, I like Formation very much because of the fabulous Creole turn of the century imagery.

The person who came up with the concept for the video is brilliant. I have never seen Bey looking more womanly and beautiful as where she is dressed and made up to resemble a subject of Bellocq.

by Anonymousreply 64May 1, 2016 6:22 AM

She has a room temperature IQ.

by Anonymousreply 65May 1, 2016 6:25 AM

👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾

by Anonymousreply 66May 3, 2016 10:21 AM

🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝

by Anonymousreply 67May 3, 2016 10:22 AM

You sound annoying, OP; and Adele, Gaga and Rihanna are pretty nothing.

by Anonymousreply 68May 3, 2016 10:28 AM

im cackling

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69May 3, 2016 10:31 AM

Beyoncé has quite a few songs I love. Solo and with DC. I think she deserves to be an icon. She has enough experience with singing (she has a great powerful voice), dancing (she can dance and has a great body to move it), acting (not the greatest but better than Madonna), marketing (she knows hpw to sell her self and by funding blacklivesmatter at least she helps out her own kind. She has wide ranging appeal and has earned her success unlike that talentless bitch Rihanna. Yuck always hated that skank.

by Anonymousreply 70May 3, 2016 10:37 AM

She was marketed as the cute one in DC, R60. Sexy and mostly-grown (not a little girl), but still the Barbie and the baby of the group.

'Bootylicious' is the best DC cut. It was fresh as hell then and it is now, with that relentless rock-riff (Stevie!) and JD-esque claps. Bey's juicy warbles, 'uhhs' and yips splash over the guitar beat, and that bass freaks just right. This is one of her first 'proud to be Southern/thick/black' songs, but it's subtle and fun and universal enough that it's not overbearing. "By the looks got you shook up an' scared of me...". No doubt, B.

And then there's how it looks. The Dressing Room is genius, Bey's split-leg/glitter-pink flares are iconic, and Queen Kelly is too cool for the room.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71May 4, 2016 1:00 AM

I liked her when she did R&B. I don't like very much she's done since Bday

by Anonymousreply 72May 4, 2016 1:26 AM

Ive really sat and pondered the Beyoncé hate on here and Ive come to the conclusion your all nuts . Why would anyone waste energy hating a pop star ? I don't love her , I don't hate her . I enjoy a few of her songs and that's it . Thats all it should be . People these days get INVESTED in some stranger they never will meet . That seems really weird to me .

by Anonymousreply 73May 4, 2016 1:35 AM

Never been a big fan of her music, though I like a handful of her songs. That said, I really respect her talent, drive and accomplishments. Love her or hate her, she's worked hard for her success and she's a lot more talented than many of her peers in current mainstream pop music.

by Anonymousreply 74May 4, 2016 1:49 AM

I love Britney Spears.

by Anonymousreply 75May 4, 2016 1:57 AM

Beyonce' is overexposed, and she's getting tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 76May 6, 2016 12:06 AM

R73 you are in the wrong place. Plus, I don't think I've read that anyone actually hates her.

by Anonymousreply 77May 6, 2016 12:09 AM

OP, the Beygency is on your ass now.

by Anonymousreply 78May 6, 2016 12:10 AM

[quote]But, I gotta admit: I found "Formation" mesmerizing.

I did too. And like another poster said, I love that she embraces being country/Bama/whatever.

by Anonymousreply 79May 6, 2016 12:41 AM

No, R77, I HATE HER.

by Anonymousreply 80May 6, 2016 12:44 AM

[quote]Ive really sat and pondered the Beyoncé hate on here and Ive come to the conclusion your all nuts . Why would anyone waste energy hating a pop star ?

It's not Beyonce herself, so much as hating undeserved adoration, and her rabid bully fans.

by Anonymousreply 81May 6, 2016 12:51 AM

Her fans are assholes, even worse than Janbots or Hagdonnaites.

by Anonymousreply 82May 6, 2016 12:55 AM

She is slumming it now but she was much better musically when her father Mathew Knowles was in the driver seat. Her The Beyonce Experience concert is one hell of a show, and the vocals in that concert are what Madonna, Britney, and Janet combined could not muster.

by Anonymousreply 83May 6, 2016 12:56 AM

Bday was the best Beyonce album.

by Anonymousreply 84May 6, 2016 12:58 AM

OP, I don't get her either. I'm also a year younger than her, so I'm also in her age group. Her voice just irritates me for some reason and her dancing always looks the same and her songs are plain with a few exceptions.

by Anonymousreply 85May 6, 2016 1:03 AM

[quote]I am from New Orleans and while I am not in Bey's target demo, I like Formation very much because of the fabulous Creole turn of the century imagery.

So you don't care that she has appropriated your culture and used Katrina as a background for her music videos, [R64]? I don't mind her stealing from Fosse and all those other folk, but I thought that was vile.

by Anonymousreply 86May 6, 2016 1:07 AM

Baroness of Buttocks.

by Anonymousreply 87May 6, 2016 1:14 AM

Her fans often do too much, but her "haters" take it to the opposite extreme.

I also have to say the her enunciation on Lemonade (she had a lot of speaking parts) was superior to anything else I've heard from her. Maybe she finally got lessons?

by Anonymousreply 88May 6, 2016 1:29 AM

It is weird that Beyonce has such a thick Texan accent. Her parents are very well-spoken, and Kelly Rowland and Solange do not have that Southern drawl.

by Anonymousreply 89May 6, 2016 1:39 AM

She is stupid as a box of hair and GHETTO. You can dress that up all you want but it doesn't fool people with a brain and a discerning eye. She is not star material, period. It's the Emporer's New Clothes.

by Anonymousreply 90May 6, 2016 1:43 AM

Duchess of Dumb.

by Anonymousreply 91May 6, 2016 1:47 AM

R 12 Well done!

R13 you have totally missed the point about Whitney, "She was never known as someone who created art in the studio, she was more of an artist when she sang and performed live. Like so many producers who worked with her and said in the past, she was known to just come into the studio and sing the songs. She was never hands-on about the process of making a great album and looked at singing the tracks simply as a job, nothing more, nothing less. "

You kind of distorted the message, the point was she had the rare gift of living in music 24/7 so that when she showed up to record she had the entire arraignment worked out flawlessly. Laying the main track in one or two takes was not "mechanical" it was perfection which is why her songs skyrocketed up the charts. She was an astounding Live performer - the best of them all.

I don't hate on Bey, I give her credit for making it to the top. She had the followed in the path cleared by Houston for her generation. She can't sing a note like Houston and Madge did the Tits and Ass cause she couldn't sing. Poor Bey does both but not as great as the originals.

by Anonymousreply 92May 6, 2016 2:01 AM

I liked her in a distant way until I saw a clip of Oprah seriously drooling she was some kind of reincarnated Egyptian goddess queen come to save us all. Even Beyoncé seemed to be looking at O like she was on the pipe.

Now I look away with a sigh and an an eye roll when her fans start.

by Anonymousreply 93May 6, 2016 2:06 AM

R90 Anyone with a brain and discerning eye would not be posting on the dregs of the DL fucker. I think the extreme proliferation of your ass cheese has overwhelmed your puny brain into a realm of insanity and delusion fucktard.

by Anonymousreply 94May 6, 2016 2:07 AM

R92 Crawl back under the rock you came out of. Crackhead Houston was as stupid and useless as a bag of dicks. Eat that 50 pounds of ass cheese you carry in your crack and STFU with your Whitney propaganda.

by Anonymousreply 95May 6, 2016 2:13 AM

^^^then wtf are you doing here?

by Anonymousreply 96May 6, 2016 2:14 AM

Not a fan. She doesn't have any power to her voice. And I can't get past the fact that she dances like a chicken with Tourette's

by Anonymousreply 97May 6, 2016 2:22 AM

[quote] I think the extreme proliferation of your ass cheese has overwhelmed your puny brain into a realm of insanity and delusion fucktard.

Could this be the same proliferation that infects most of Beyonce's fans?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98May 6, 2016 2:34 AM

I would take those 4 ghetto skanks over 4 white hos with no asses and thin lips. Any day.

by Anonymousreply 99May 6, 2016 2:48 AM

Beyonce is dumb. She has a good voice, can dance in a fat assed spread legged style. She has a great team who have managed her to the top. She gives no interviews, everything about her is preplanned and controlled. The last few years she has been moving into "powerful archetype black woman" mode. That's because she is getting older and needs to carve out a place she can occupy in a few years. I find her new found social consciousness very contrived.

by Anonymousreply 100May 6, 2016 2:57 AM

The last few years have seen Beyonce trying to desperately salvage whatever fading relevance she has left. Ever since she fired her father as her manager in 2011, her career has been in a tailspin.

by Anonymousreply 101May 6, 2016 3:04 AM

r95 your a sick fuck. Whats wrong with you?

by Anonymousreply 102May 6, 2016 4:11 AM

I can't wait for that Beyonce's Big Mountain Thunder Thighs ride at Disneyland to open up.

by Anonymousreply 103May 6, 2016 4:18 AM

R100 Do you mean like this? This is her go-to move. I believe it is empowering to women.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104May 6, 2016 4:23 AM

She seems to be trying way too hard most of the time.

by Anonymousreply 105May 6, 2016 4:30 AM

She's had moments of amazing showmanship in her career (as have most of the woman OP mentioned) but I sort of feel like her schtick is to have that 'fierce' look and then clomp in formation with a dozen 'fierce' women on either side of her and 'lather, rinse, repeat'. The first time round it was great but now, eh, it feels a little 'one trick pony'/been there done that'. We get it, you're fierce and not gonna take anything lying down and will run around with a baseball bat to make your point, but....

Empowered women are to be admired but I always get the feeling that a lot of Beyonce's 'empowerment' comes from a superficial and not very nuanced place. She creates a very aspirational lifestyle that tends to attract a lower income demographic or people that are fascinated by the combination of drama and couture. I do respect her work ethic and the fact that she has earned the multimillionaire lifestyle, but it all seems a little hollow or shallow.

She 'scratches an itch' for a huge demographic who love the flash and the emotion of a power couple who seem to have a lot of drama, some of it manufactured to sell their image or records. Single Ladies is an iconic song and will stand the test of time and really reached beyond a lot of boundaries to touch a chord in almost everyone.

by Anonymousreply 106May 6, 2016 4:40 AM

I fucking hated single ladies it touched nothing in me. (irreplaceable, say my name, and drunk in love are good, tho)

What I did get is poor JanTitty was run out of the states and had to turn muslim because of the superbowl, but Beyoncé wears an outfit so tight you can see the outlines of her vagina, but that's Empowering?

by Anonymousreply 107May 6, 2016 5:10 AM

R86 It is just as much her culture as it is mine.

by Anonymousreply 108May 6, 2016 5:26 AM

R106 You made me laugh. While I do like Beyonce, as do most inhabitants of the Crescent City, "clomp" is exactly what I think of when I picture her choreography.

But that's not all bad...I am a clomper as well, and it makes me feel good to see someone doing it professionally.

by Anonymousreply 109May 6, 2016 5:30 AM

Is she the entertainer with the most gay followers right now? From what I've observed, it seems so.

by Anonymousreply 110May 6, 2016 5:49 AM

R110 it does seem that way. But doesn't Adele have a ton, as well?

by Anonymousreply 111May 6, 2016 5:54 AM

she has no artistic soul.

by Anonymousreply 112May 6, 2016 5:55 AM

R112 No because when she makes albums she hires teams of songwriters to write her songs, and then top producers. It's all seasoned by committee

by Anonymousreply 113May 6, 2016 6:01 AM

Beyonce is awful, empty-headed, and incredibly vulgar without knowing how trashy she is. I find her career very depressing.

by Anonymousreply 114May 6, 2016 6:02 AM

r10 She used to have Britney and Gaga as competitions in terms of appealing to the gay audience. But now, yes, she has the largest gay followers.

by Anonymousreply 115May 6, 2016 5:23 PM

Ultimately, she is a setback for black women. Black performers (whatever they were like in their private lives) were trained, taught, schooled on how to be LADIES in public. Everyone from Lena Horne to Billie Holiday to Ella Fitzgerald to Nina Simone (who certainly had her off-color moments) to Nancy Wilson to Diana Ross to Diahann Carroll to many more black female recording artists and nightclub stars from back in the day. They were able to be articulate, eloquent and poised when they spoke in public. They were gowned and made up to look glamorous and elegant. They conducted themselves like ladies. Even Whitney started out this way. She had a wholesome reputation, at least at first, until the drugs and Bobby and her tragic choices caused her downfall. The drugs won, as they often do.

This sounds horrendously judgy but......Beyonce is nothing more than a skanky slag ho with some modicum of talent. She is vulgar and trashy but this is all glossed over by some sort of "image" thing going on. She can carry a tune, yes. She is AUTOtuned frequently. She is packaged and marketed to be something that, when the lights come down, she is most definitely not. I don't mean that the person behind the image is different (they always are) but that her image, what she is "all about" is not truly empowering to black women. Her message is "it's okay to be a whore as long as you are a sexy one, can sing a little and can shake your giant ass to the beat." It's all about sex and VULGAR sex, at that. Most black female singers out there today present as flat out whores. Sad sad sad.

by Anonymousreply 116May 6, 2016 7:09 PM

Yes R116 because white women present themselves as the pennicle of class today. It's a reflection of the times not the race and not every Black female performer is like Beyoncé or Rihanna. You aren't looking past those to and Nicki Minaj if you feel that way.

by Anonymousreply 117May 6, 2016 7:39 PM

"I like my negro nose with Jackson Five nostrils"

this lyric from Formation bugs the shit out of me

by Anonymousreply 118May 6, 2016 8:05 PM

Imperatrix of Idiocy.

by Anonymousreply 119May 6, 2016 9:07 PM

R117, I didn't say anything about white performers but if a black girl wants a black role model, Beyonce is teaching her how to be a successful....whore.

by Anonymousreply 120May 6, 2016 9:27 PM

You can't slut shame Rihanna so don't even try. Rihanna has a natural stage presence, real charisma and puts on a good show to entertain her fans , not to prove anything. She doesn't want to be your Queen. She doesn't give a shit if you like her or not although she is kind to her fans in person. She doesn't care if you like her lifestyle, including her love for weed. She doesn't need an army of Brain Dead Drones to fight her battles. She's single so she can sleep with whoever she wants. As long as they are too. She doesn't care if you approve of her choices when it comes to men. Chris Brown was her first real love and she bore the brunt of the pain and anger of someone who was a witness to REAL trauma and heartbreak in a marriage. And he couldn't escape that same fate. She doesn't pimp out her relationship with him for more money and fame. The woman is sexy and sensual in natural way. It is who she is. And though she doesn't have a great voice she sings with real emotion and feeling. Nothing about Beyonce seems real. Nothing of substance anyway. And here's the dirty little secret about Lemonade. The Becky comment was racist code. Yeah, I said it.

by Anonymousreply 121May 6, 2016 10:29 PM

Rihanna is Eartha Kitt for the millenials.

by Anonymousreply 122May 7, 2016 12:14 AM

Why does Beyonce wear those long bleached blonde weaves if she likes her "negro nose". Ge real for real, heifer.

by Anonymousreply 123May 7, 2016 12:29 AM

I've always thought Beyonce looks better blonde than brunette.

by Anonymousreply 124May 7, 2016 8:22 PM

Beyonce will do whatever she want R123, and she does't want your approval.

In fact, Beyonce doesn't know you exist, and if she did notice, it would be spit on you.

Because you are a shitty person.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125May 7, 2016 8:42 PM

The Beyhive have arrived

by Anonymousreply 126May 7, 2016 8:46 PM

R125 will die with his nose up Bey's ass. He can see what her brain looks life.

by Anonymousreply 127May 7, 2016 10:47 PM

I find her annoying, but then again I find most people annoying. I didn't really know what "Lemonade" was all about until I watched a re-run of "The Peoples Couch" last night and; YEP still don't like her and her weird scratchy voice.

Besides Destiny's Child, the only thing I remember her in was GaGa's Telephone video, the song is one of my favorites but her in the video annoys the shit out of me.

by Anonymousreply 128May 7, 2016 11:11 PM

R128 w/w for being truthful about your racist misanthropy.

Come sit next to me.

R127 I see they're letting sub literate retards post on DL.

by Anonymousreply 129May 8, 2016 12:16 AM

There is a protest by cops at the bitch's concert here in Houston tonight.

by Anonymousreply 130May 8, 2016 12:59 AM

I hope the cops make fools of themselves

by Anonymousreply 131May 8, 2016 1:04 AM

Yep Bday was the best album to me. Beyonce was being herself and she had not yet married a camel. As far as I'm concerned the first two albums are essential listening for young gays, especially bottoms.

She is technically a good singer but she lacks soul. It is just not there. She is a showgirl who performs like a well trained and seasoned athlete.

by Anonymousreply 132May 8, 2016 1:44 AM

Beyonce has reached her nadir. Her voice is really dull, forced, yelling and disturbing to listen to. And her gyrations are comical not sexy.

Be glad when she's done and gone.

by Anonymousreply 133May 8, 2016 1:44 AM

Britney Spears shits on this bitch. So Does Pink and Madge even.

by Anonymousreply 134May 8, 2016 1:52 AM

I won't take her seriously until she stops wearing leotards on stage and simply stands there in a long, elegant dress and just sings for the entire performance.

by Anonymousreply 135May 8, 2016 1:59 AM

Nobody wants to see that shit R 135

by Anonymousreply 136May 8, 2016 2:03 AM

As much as i love Britney, Beyonce is definitely the more talented of the two and in more ways than one.

by Anonymousreply 137May 8, 2016 2:04 AM

I'd like to see Beyonce do a few more appearances where she just stands and sings. I think her best one was Superbowl 2004. The inauguration was a boring performance not her best.

by Anonymousreply 138May 8, 2016 2:13 AM

Beyonce is incredibly boring to listen to, and has a voice that is perfect for backup singing. Her success is entirely based on her Victoria's Secret looks.

Maya Rudolph's breathy, Bible-verse quoting impression of her on "SNL" is how she is in real life.

If the other Destiny Child member Kelly Rowland released every song and album as Beyonce, she would probably be as successful as she is now. "Dilemma" - the song Rowland did with Nelly - is better than any Beyonce song.

The fact that Beyonce has won multiple Grammys discredits the award completely, and shows how it reflects nothing but commercial success.

by Anonymousreply 139May 8, 2016 3:07 AM

I agree, I also like Kelly much better

by Anonymousreply 140May 8, 2016 6:52 AM

r139 You don't like Beyonce and her music. That's fine. However, she is not only commercially successful, but also critically acclaimed. She's probably the pop star beloved by critics the most at the moment. And I'm not talking about the Grammys, which seem to prefer popularity over quality and artistry. Her song "Crazy in Love" appears in numerous all-time greatest song lists. And her latest album, currently, has a Metacritic score of 93/100.

by Anonymousreply 141May 8, 2016 8:13 AM

r141 'Crazy in Love' is not the only 'pop song' making it to these 'greatest song' lists, The other pop songs frequently appear on these lists include Rihanna's 'Umbrella' and Britney's 'Toxic'

by Anonymousreply 142May 8, 2016 8:20 AM

Thank you to the person upthread who aid Beyonce's music lacks soul. I could not put my finger on why I prefer her to many other black vocalists, and that is the reason. I just don't care for all the over the top wailing and making two syllables into six(I went to see Patti LaBelle with my fave Al Green on Broadway and nearly needed to be hospitalized after listening to Patti for two hours.) I completely understand that the gospel style singing appeals to many, but it's just not for me. Thankfully Beyonce's lack of soul makes her singing easy to listen to.

My black friends cannot stand Rhianna and swear that she sounds like a yodeling goat, but I love her and her choices in songs is always on point. And that over the top style singing is not just a black thing, Christina Aguilera is the worst when it comes to strangling a tune.

by Anonymousreply 143May 8, 2016 8:59 AM

Soul is supposed to be a GOOD thing when it comes to singing voices, R143. It means the singer sings with feeling. You think "lacking soul" is a positive quality?

by Anonymousreply 144May 8, 2016 9:10 AM

Nation of Islam launched a counter-protest against the cops at her concert last night in Houston, and the bitch sanctioned it, which should tell you everything you need to know about this racist snatch.

by Anonymousreply 145May 8, 2016 1:28 PM

I like her fine, but like you, OP, I don't get the adoration. I love "Single Ladies" and "Crazy in Love", and like some other songs, but something's missing. The performances don't equal the hype 95% of the time, the intellect is severely lacking, and it all feels a bit too manufactured and missing heart. But I will give her props: She's a marketing genius and an incredibly hard worker.

by Anonymousreply 146May 8, 2016 1:44 PM

R143 you can have soul without over doing it. Zayn Malik has the perfect mix of pop and soul which is why I'm fascinated with his voice. He is a student of R&B soul and you can tell.

But what Beyoncé was missing with soul they made up for with great arrangements and harmonies in Destiny's Child and her R&B albums. Me Myself and I is a good example. She is has the pipes but she needs really good harmonies to put her over the top. That's why the girl group was so good, that and Kelly has a very similar voice. Janet Jackson who is not half the singer also made great songs by doing the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 147May 8, 2016 3:22 PM

Yes R129...I guess they decided to give you a retard pass.

What does Bey's anus smell like?

by Anonymousreply 148May 8, 2016 3:33 PM

R141 Music critics are flooded with promo materials and free copies of albums, so critical acclaim is not indicative of genuine talent.

If someone slams Beyonce's boring-as-fuck music in print or online, they will be inundated with her pre-teen fans slamming them, and clogging the comments on their twitter and instagram with juvenile pictures of bee emojis.

by Anonymousreply 149May 8, 2016 3:39 PM

[quote]"I like my negro nose with Jackson Five nostrils"

[quote]this lyric from Formation bugs the shit out of me

She's not talking about her own nose. She is referring in African American Vernacular English to her "negro's" nose, aka her husband's nose.

by Anonymousreply 150May 8, 2016 3:45 PM

R149 Beyonce hit the scene in 1997 almost 20 years ago. I doubt she has very many tween fans now, their parents are probably fans if that's the case.

by Anonymousreply 151May 8, 2016 3:48 PM

Be-YAWN-ce

by Anonymousreply 152May 8, 2016 4:03 PM

Beyonce and Destiny's Child were packaged when the Spice Girls and other looks-based mouseketeers like Britney Spears and the Backstreet Boys squashed any remaining actual musicianship on the radio.

by Anonymousreply 153May 8, 2016 5:00 PM

Anyone part of the 'beyhive' and posts thousands of bees all over the internet must be pretty immature regardless of age.

by Anonymousreply 154May 8, 2016 9:05 PM

I think her singing is beautiful but I've heard her speak and she seems really slow. Like you'd have to use small words and talk very slowly and loudly in her face so that she understands things. Does anyone know if she actually is mentally challenged?

She's never written any of her own music, she can't play an instrument and she sure as shit can't act. She's not an artist, merely a performer. But she's a bloody good one.

by Anonymousreply 155May 8, 2016 9:09 PM

And she takes credit for songs she didn't write...this is reprehensible.

by Anonymousreply 156May 8, 2016 9:14 PM

If she had come out in the early 90s, she would have been relegated to her actual musical peers like Toni Braxton, Cathy Dennis, Kristine W. and SWV.

But since she has Jay-Z financing her solo career from the beginning, she wins Grammys.

by Anonymousreply 157May 8, 2016 11:16 PM

I'd love to see her fall from grace...

by Anonymousreply 158May 8, 2016 11:51 PM

She also had me motherfucker R157!

by Anonymousreply 159May 8, 2016 11:51 PM

These pop stars come and go and I can't see her marketability stretching long after she squeezes the last twerk and hair flipping stunt as she passes out on the stage and the last we see are her big bulky thighs and crooked calves being lugged by 20 stage hands sneaking behind the stage curtain - one last time - toes drooping as her torn heels and sagging soles sway to the last autotuned beats of her piped in music.

Small blessings.....

by Anonymousreply 160May 9, 2016 12:20 AM

[quote]These pop stars come and go and I can't see her marketability stretching long after she squeezes the last twerk and hair flipping stunt as she passes out on the stage

Really? Come and go? She's been around since 1990.

The public got to know her in 1997 when Destiny's Child started to hit it big.

She went solo in 2000.

It's 2016 now and she shows no signs of faltering in popularity.

Britney Spears hasn't had a hit in eons and gays are still paying money to see her perform in Vegas.

Beyonce isn't going anywhere, anytime soon.

by Anonymousreply 161May 9, 2016 12:26 AM

"Britney Spears hasn't had a hit in eons"

Lets not get carried away and Beyonce herself went to see Ms Spears in Vegas

by Anonymousreply 162May 9, 2016 1:07 AM

Funny how her acting peaked in Carmen: A Hip-Hopera. It's been downhill from there.

by Anonymousreply 163May 9, 2016 1:12 AM

The fact that the FLOTUS worships her is really telling, and depressing.

by Anonymousreply 164May 9, 2016 1:15 AM

Yeah acting is definitely not her thing lol. I wonder if the Rachel Roy leaks was planned by her or Jay.....

by Anonymousreply 165May 9, 2016 1:22 AM

[quote] She's probably the pop star beloved by critics the most at the moment. And I'm not talking about the Grammys, which seem to prefer popularity over quality and artistry.

Well that explains why that social media whore Beck won Best Album over Beyonce. Stupid popularity contests.

by Anonymousreply 166May 9, 2016 1:50 AM

Sorry, R162

[quote]Lets not get carried away and Beyonce herself went to see Ms Spears in Vegas

Britney's last hit was in 2011 which was, "Till the World Ends" and she needed Kesha and Nicki Minaj to pull that off. Oh, wait, I'm sorry. That one didn't peak at No. 1 but "Hold it Against Me Did" in 2011.

Also, people still go to see Cher but that doesn't mean she's selling albums.

by Anonymousreply 167May 9, 2016 2:06 AM

I thought Britney's last hit was 'Work Bitch' but ok

by Anonymousreply 168May 9, 2016 2:08 AM

I like the way she's made heavier legs acceptable. Even the pickiest queens on here don't tend to criticise her figure anymore. At one time everyone was saying she was overweight and didn't have a true dancer's body.

by Anonymousreply 169May 9, 2016 2:13 AM

She's always been curvy but the girl is tiny. And i'm sure some lipo has been involved when it comes to that butt of hers.

by Anonymousreply 170May 9, 2016 2:19 AM

No, tiny is Ariana Grande. Beyoncé is slim curvy.

by Anonymousreply 171May 9, 2016 2:52 AM

r149 Not just music critics you know, she is also praised by several music icons. Madonna, Barbra Streisand, Prince, Stevie Wonder, Paul McCartney and Bono, just to name a few. No pop star today receives acclaim from critics and fellow musicians as much as she does. Aretha Franklin and Etta James are not fans of hers though.

by Anonymousreply 172May 9, 2016 3:12 AM

Beyoncě don't need no thread here. She know she good.

by Anonymousreply 173May 9, 2016 3:29 AM

I want to be her.

by Anonymousreply 174May 9, 2016 3:30 AM

[quote]Aretha Franklin and Etta James are not fans of hers though.

Because both can sing and know she is a shallow talent.

by Anonymousreply 175May 9, 2016 3:33 AM

It's funny that there are guys here who think she has a big butt.

The urban bog Beyonce haters call her flat ass.

I guess it's all relative.

by Anonymousreply 176May 9, 2016 3:58 AM

She has a nice butt and hasn't gone overboard unlike Nicki Minaj

by Anonymousreply 177May 9, 2016 4:09 AM

R172 and everyone was falling over themselves to praise Gaga 5 years ago

by Anonymousreply 178May 9, 2016 4:53 AM

r178 Actually, at Gaga's peak, she got dissed by musicians more than praised. Notably, Madonna and Grace Jones accused her of ripping them of. Her famous fans were mostly younger pop stars such as Miley Cyrus.

by Anonymousreply 179May 9, 2016 5:11 AM

Beyonce has a huge vajeen. HUGE

by Anonymousreply 180May 9, 2016 5:13 AM

[quote]Actually, at Gaga's peak, she got dissed by musicians more than praised. Notably, Madonna and Grace Jones accused her of ripping them of. Her famous fans were mostly younger pop stars such as Miley Cyrus.

Exactly, R179.

Beyonce's team has always played it safe or just barely skirted the edge. Her public image is tightly controlled. I do agree with people who say she seemingly has no personality. You can't hate her when she has no actual opinion on anything. Formation raised a few eyebrows and caused some think pieces to be written about it. The whole "Becky" phenomenon now being considered a "slur" may not have been as expected. Either way it works in this climate and gives her more "authenticity"/"street cred" even if it was created. However, she hasn't said anything about it because -- she no opinion on anything.

Gaga went off the track and over the rails on numerous occasions. The great part was, Gaga has put out some very interesting music. The bad part is, it stopped having mass appeal at a certain point. The Fame Monster was a great album but by the time she rolled out Born this Way with "Born this Way" and "Judas" she seemed to get backlash. After that, it was all down hill.

I also agree with the person that Beyonce came around at just the right time.

by Anonymousreply 181May 9, 2016 5:25 AM

r180 Not as huge as Taylor Swift tho. Her camel toe is legendary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182May 9, 2016 5:27 AM

Anyone who thinks Madonna and Britney are "better" than Beyonce is a real idiot and has no taste. The 2 of them have NO talent and need just as much help with creativity as Beyonce does.

Mariah does have artistry btw. She's written a lot of her songs over the years including many beautiful pieces that weren't picked to be singles.

Adele's music is boring as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 183May 9, 2016 6:33 AM

Even Beyonce owns up to Madonna being more talented as a songwriter and performer.

by Anonymousreply 184May 9, 2016 11:36 PM

Jezebel article today interviewing the tone-deaf fanatics in the beyhive posting bees and lemons as a way of declaring their lack of musical taste.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185May 10, 2016 3:32 AM

Be-snatch-cey

by Anonymousreply 186May 10, 2016 11:02 AM

R161 I disagree completely. I am taking a broader look. No matter who wins the Presidency the culture has a way of evolving for the times. Beyonce is too much associated with the Obama era, she, like Hamilton, will not take a nose dive but will become far less prominent. It is inevitable.

by Anonymousreply 187May 10, 2016 11:37 AM

She's an American Kylie Minogue who gained respect from her association with Jay-Z and her supermodel looks.

by Anonymousreply 188May 10, 2016 9:28 PM

Did I dream it? Or a study showed people intellect based on their musical tastes and beyonce fans were amongst the dumbest.

by Anonymousreply 189May 10, 2016 9:52 PM

No, you weren't dreaming. "Beyonce fans 'among least intelligent but Beethoven fans cleverest.'"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190May 10, 2016 9:57 PM

R188 what are you talking about? Beyonce is a solid singer. Kylie isn't a real singer. She's only better than the likes of Madonna

by Anonymousreply 191May 10, 2016 10:55 PM

Technically Beyonce is a superior singer and I am not gonna argue with those who can't understand why. Her tone does not please a lot of people but she is an expert vocalist with a great range, pinpoint agile runs, strong supported deep notes and long supported belts and mixed chest and head voice. She is a master of melisma and octave jumps. Some find that gimmicky along with her overall presentation.

So I am really enjoying the grittier side of Bey. That's what requires studio tricks, to make her sound so gritty and fried, because Beyonce can sing y'all. She is also the best live performer in the world today, along with Bruno Mars. Does she measure up to previous greats, not quite. But watch her headline Glastonbury and tell me she is not the most overall talented pop female performer in music. This idea that she is a robot is ridiculous. She is tightly controlled but no one can embody the imagery and evolution that she has musically produced without having a strong understanding of what they are presenting and doing. Save the dumb pop star comments for Katy Perry and Rihanna and Britney and yes, unfortunately old Madonna.

It is Beyonce's world and we are all living in it. She is important, musically and culturally. Sorry bout it.

by Anonymousreply 192May 10, 2016 11:16 PM

[quote]her supermodel looks.

Really, R188?? SUPERMODEL looks? ROFL...yeah, okay.

by Anonymousreply 193May 10, 2016 11:31 PM

R192, you forgot one important line in your post....."in MY opinion..."

It's not that hard.

by Anonymousreply 194May 10, 2016 11:37 PM

R192 I agree she is a great singer. But as mentioned before she does not have soul. She is patron saint of her group of early 2000s singers who might have technically superior voices but they aren't very moving.

by Anonymousreply 195May 11, 2016 1:03 AM

Yes R194, and some people think the world is flat. Obviously it is my opinion R194. I am a musician, singer and composer. Successful. Beyonce IS technically a great singer with a very good voice. She is in her mid thirties but has already produced a significant and important body of work in freakishly diverse configurations and styles. Not much she can't do, much of it better than anyone else in the game. Beyonce rules the world of live performance. She is one of two people in entertainment who can be honestly termed a superstar. Her audience inevitably shrinks as she becomes more culturally important. She may not make 40 year old fags and white women dance anymore, because she has strikes a different beat and purposely less melodic sound to her current concerns. She is an evolving artist, whether people believe it or not. Important artist at this point, though I am sure it bothers you R194. The girl can always call on her beautiful vocal talents and sing pretty when she needs to, ha.

Only AA babies and group thinkers insist that authoritative voices preface our statements with the puerile " In my opinion." Some of us are more knowledgeable and have no need to coddle grown sensitivities or apologize for our strengths. I am sure you are good at something other than disliking Beyonce. Why is that tho?

by Anonymousreply 196May 11, 2016 1:10 AM

R194, R196....write it again...."In MY opinion....in MY opinion".... Everyone is not required to like Beyonce. I can't stand her, and that's okay. She, in my opinion (wow, how easy was THAT?) is derivative, vapid and quite unoriginal. I'm tired of her weave and even more tired of her stans.

Only active addicts who haven't gone to AA get upset when people disagree with them - it's the height of narcissism and immaturity.

NOT EVERYONE LIKES BEYONCE...

by Anonymousreply 197May 11, 2016 1:14 AM

I like you r197. R196 needs to save that lecture for his Music Appreciation class at the local Junior College. If you really are a musician, singer, AND composer, not to mention successful, then you should have no reservation about signing your post. She is not a great singer. Great singers can pick up a microphone and simply sing. Watch her "tribute" to Prince. She's lipsynching to a backing track. And the practiced emoting is laughable. There is nothing remotely authentic about this woman. And it's a bloody shame that this grifter managed to find a way to make the tragic death of a real MUSICIAN and true ARTIST into just another jaded Star Is Born! moment for herself. I loathe the bitch.

by Anonymousreply 198May 11, 2016 2:28 AM

Your post is fine R198, but you forgot to state it was "your own opinion." This is important to your tag team partner.

by Anonymousreply 199May 11, 2016 2:55 AM

R196 You sound like a fangirl. Obviously one queen is still bopping to Beyonce.

by Anonymousreply 200May 11, 2016 4:01 AM

R192 "So I am really enjoying the grittier side of Bey."

So you're the one.

by Anonymousreply 201May 11, 2016 4:08 AM

The former childhood vocal coach for Destinys Child said that Kelly had the most best tone in the group. He said Beyonces voice was good, but they always had trouble fine-tuning it because it has always been naturally sharp, so they worked their way around it by discovering she sounds best when layered in a three-part harmony, and that is what they trained her to do. Many DC hits blend Beyonce and Kelly's voice together to get the best mix. Many people do not realize Kelly is singing the lead in the chorus of Survivor, not Beyonce. Kelly also sings lead in the hook on Say My Name, with Beyonce in the background. If you google the Destiny's Child audition for Columbia Records, Kelly completely outsings and outdances Beyonce. Beyonce had the mannerisms of an awkward butch lesbian in that video while Kelly completely slayed it.

by Anonymousreply 202May 11, 2016 4:16 AM

There are thousands of church choir girls who can sing. Beyonce has a decent voice But she sings mediocre, forgettable pop songs she didn't write.

by Anonymousreply 203May 11, 2016 4:20 AM

Yet here she is, the queen of the music in 2016.

You Beyonce haters are talking to yourselves, fapping furiously at your spurious opinions in a circle jerk, yet NO ONE is listening.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204May 11, 2016 4:38 AM

R204 And here you are, the queen of Datalounge

by Anonymousreply 205May 11, 2016 4:43 AM

Who did she steal that choreography from. Tondelayo?

by Anonymousreply 206May 11, 2016 5:01 AM

R205 Your eyes pierce me... to my core. You know me, deeply.

Retard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207May 11, 2016 5:03 AM

R204 Rihanna is the one with a 9 week global number 1 smash hit, Beyonce is all marketing, strategy and publicity, not pure numbers. Rihanna has 10X the global appeal.

by Anonymousreply 208May 11, 2016 5:09 AM

r205 i love you

by Anonymousreply 209May 11, 2016 5:10 AM

most global female popstar names: Rihanna=Shakira< Adele

by Anonymousreply 210May 11, 2016 5:18 AM

She's very pretty: there's no denying that. Whether her prettiness is due to surgery is beside the point.

She also can sing very well, and her voice has a very pretty, silvery, appealing tone.

Her dancing is competent, and she works with good choreographers.

She is not terribly smart, but she doesn't really need to me. She's a pretty puppet.

by Anonymousreply 211May 11, 2016 5:18 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212May 11, 2016 5:24 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213May 11, 2016 5:26 AM

Rihanna is incredibly photogenic. Very few people can have candid snapshots of them on magazine covers and make it look like a professional photo session.

She can also throw a song out of left field and it stands on it's own. I didn't know she sang "Umbrella," "S&M," "The Only Girl in the World," and "S.O.S." the first time I heard them.

You always know when it's a Beyonce song with her samey songs and generic, vacuous voice.

by Anonymousreply 214May 11, 2016 5:38 AM

^ somebody ain't been listening to Bey lately ^

by Anonymousreply 215May 11, 2016 5:54 AM

Rihanna is very photogenic and she pulls off cropped, short hair in a way Beyonce never could. There is a picture of Beyonce in a short blond pixie. She looked very plain. She needs the long blond weave to enhance her look.

by Anonymousreply 216May 11, 2016 5:56 AM

I like Beyonce AND Rhianna, but if I had to choose who I would change places with, it would absolutely be RiRi.

by Anonymousreply 217May 11, 2016 9:21 AM

I love Rihanna. She isn't a great singer but what she lacks in technique she makes up for in real emotion and feeling. Plus, she has a great ear for what works for her limited range and collaborates with some of the more interesting players in music today. She doesn't pretend to write her songs. She can wind on stage like no one else and is genuinely sexy. There is a joy to her that is genuine. Her relationships are messy. So what. She's not trying to be your Queen and she doesn't pretend to have a perfect life. The girl likes men, likes getting stoned, and likes to fuck. And she doesn't care if you care. There are seven songs on Anti that I like but that is seven more than I have ever liked of Beyonce's. Work is addictive. The new one with Drake is good and will probably be another number one hit for the both of them. Not to mention the woman is a stunner. She is absolutely beautiful. Even JLo at 45 is prettier, sexier, and a better dancer than Beyonce. Watch that bitch walk away at the end of her Ain't Your Mama video. That is a woman who doesn't take any shit. From anyone. Beyonce can only wish she was that sexy. Or truly independent.

by Anonymousreply 218May 11, 2016 12:16 PM

Beyonce is the most critical acclaimed pop star since Madonna. Like it or not, her critical and commercial success has established her legendary status. I agree with some of you mentioning that she may not be very smart, but neither are most pop stars.

by Anonymousreply 219May 11, 2016 12:37 PM

I'm not a Rihanna fan but I'll take her over Beyonce. I'd listen to Janet Jackson over Beyonce!!

by Anonymousreply 220May 11, 2016 2:01 PM

Beyonce is making way more money than Rihanna. Beyonce has sold WAY more albums. Rihanna is just a singles queen

by Anonymousreply 221May 11, 2016 3:01 PM

Beyoncé is only famous because she sold her soul to the Illuminati. They convinced the fucking morons of the world she's 'talented.' Her 'talent' consists of singing horrid crap songs (auto-tuned) and shaking her fat ass onstage while she lip synchs and flashes devil-worshipping signs and imagery.

Face the facts, cum drinkers: You are so controlled that you just nod your head and agree with whatever you idiot zombies are told to agree with, including this nigger ape cunt has talent.

by Anonymousreply 222May 11, 2016 3:07 PM

r222 Are you ok?

by Anonymousreply 223May 11, 2016 3:11 PM

If you refer to her as "Bey," you're basically admitting you're a stan.

by Anonymousreply 224May 11, 2016 3:15 PM

And McDonald's sells more beef than The Capital Grille R221. But which one has better quality? Hmmmm.

by Anonymousreply 225May 11, 2016 3:36 PM

I know people are all crazy for her, but she is boring to me. I like some of her songs, but she doesn't have any charisma or star power for me. She's not interesting.

by Anonymousreply 226May 11, 2016 3:51 PM

Streisand, Tina Turner, Diana Ross, Madonna and Prince (among a few) have called themselves fans of Beyoncé.

Bette Midler just posted a picture of her meeting Beyoncé at the met ball and gushing about how honored she was meeting her.

The first lady has called her a role model for young girls everywhere.

A little more than a McDonald's level entertainer, now isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 227May 11, 2016 3:53 PM

R192 writes like Nippybot. I have no doubt that garrulous black queen from Saskatchewan, who never misses the chance to throw his credentials as a musician in everyone's face, wrote that post. It has hyperbolic style of writing all over it (he does the same thing about Adele). Whenever DL states how much they dislike a particular singer, here he comes to lecture people as to why they're wrong. Yet he has no problem trashing Barbra Streisand, Amy Winehouse, Mariah Carey, Aretha Franklin and many others who he considers inferior to his perfect Whitney, Adele, Beyonce, Christina. The only person he praises who is undeniably talented and legendary is the great Gladys Knight. Yet he often uses her as a why to say how she's greater than Aretha.

Nippybot, to quote Dionne Warwick: I got ya numba, hussy!

by Anonymousreply 228May 11, 2016 4:04 PM

Black feminist Bell Hooks calls Beyonce a "terrorist" and terrible influence on black children. LOL!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229May 11, 2016 4:39 PM

So what, r227. Lots of people don't particularly like some of the singers you referenced in your post. I don't listen with Madonna's ears. Or Streisand's. I know what I like and I don't like Beyonce. Prince was asked in an interview what he thought of Beyonce. He got that wide-eyed, pursed lips look and said in a very quiet voice that he wanted to see what she knew musically. He sat her down at a piano and showed her some chords because of course she doesn't play an instrument. He said that she did know scales. He told her that it would make her a better performer if she learned to play an instrument. I'm guessing that she responded in the same way she always does when she doesn't have a firm grasp on the topic at hand. She smiled. He was diplomatic and measured in his praise. He simply said she was talented. His was hardly effusive. Perhaps he didn't want to talk shit about someone he thought was sweet and harmless but rather dim. Not to mention damn lucky. We will never know will we? I think quite a few of those divas you mentioned say that stuff because they don't want to appear bitter or jealous. Adele calling her Jesus fucking Christ was just mental. And it caused quite a backlash.

by Anonymousreply 230May 11, 2016 6:50 PM

r230 he 227 uses references to support his argument. You have your opinions. It is perfectly fine you don't like her or her music. But those of the music icons mentioned are obviously more worth a listen than some random guy from the internet. You don't see other pop stars today get praised by fellow musicians as much as Beyonce does. Plus, she is the most critically acclaimed pop star at the moment.

by Anonymousreply 231May 11, 2016 7:17 PM

Beyonce warbling "Halo":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232May 11, 2016 8:42 PM

Beyoncés fans are stupid. Especially the gay ones.

by Anonymousreply 233May 13, 2016 2:25 PM

Did Whitney ever comment on Behonce? (not correcting AutoCorrect- I like this name better).

by Anonymousreply 234May 13, 2016 2:47 PM

Beyonce's biggest asset is that she's a hard worker. Say what you want but I can't think of anyone who works harder than her in terms of putting out quality visuals and performances.

However, I'm not a fan. The biggest issues I have are her lack of great songs and her lack of personality. Her songs are average and more times than not they become famous for something other than the song itself i.e. Single Ladies for the video. Personality wise she has no voice, no opinions and might as well be a cardboard cut out of herself.

by Anonymousreply 235May 13, 2016 2:58 PM

R225 if you think Rihanna with her weak singing ability makes higher quality music than decent/solid singer Beyonce, you have no argument.

by Anonymousreply 236May 13, 2016 9:53 PM

Rihanna may not have the singing ability of Beyonce, but Rihanna makes better songs. Beyonce has terrible songwriting in her songs. In fact, most of her lyrics and hooks are so silly and bad that they become memorable just for the absurd quality of the tunes. Go back as far as Bug a Boo, Bootylicious, Bills Bills Bills. But Beyonce knows she has to do this because her voice is too boring to be able to entertain with just ballads. She tried to flip the script, and do this with the 4 album, and she flopped majorly. So, now instead of maturing, she is back to singing silly catchphrases and dancing like a horse: You wake up, flawless!, I slay! I slay! I slay! okay okay okay, 7-11, 7-11 seven twice, seven twice! Beyonce knows she is not capable of profundity. The real idiots are the bloggers, media journalists, fans, and bootlickers who act like she is. I do not know if she pays for the overpraise or what, but it is very strange. I have never seen this type of worship heralded on any other popstar.

by Anonymousreply 237May 13, 2016 10:49 PM

I remember seeing Beyonce on one of those hidden camera prank shows, pretty sure it was "Punked" with Ashton. Anyway, she was in a church, I think, and the joke was an entire set collapsed around her or something like that, no small thing, loud and awful. And when it happened, she didn't react at all. Just stared ahead with a puzzled smile that never changed even when she was let in on the joke -- and I remember thinking then she was a robot, had been media trained to the point where she had zero personality (unlike Madonna, Cher, all of them), won't even react in an earthquake. And I never looked at her the same again.

As for that music... Jesus. But I did like some of the Destiny's Child stuff way back when. Good pop.

by Anonymousreply 238May 13, 2016 10:56 PM

Like Diana Ross before her, Beyonce did her best music when she was the lead singer of her group.

by Anonymousreply 239May 13, 2016 11:10 PM

LOL i remember that episode R238. I'm pretty sure she wouldn't have let them show that episode if it portrayed her in a bad light.

by Anonymousreply 240May 13, 2016 11:32 PM

[quote]In fact, most of her lyrics and hooks are so silly and bad that they become memorable just for the absurd quality of the tunes. Go back as far as Bug a Boo, Bootylicious, Bills Bills Bills.

Those were fun songs that could fill the dance floor way faster than anything Rihanna has ever done. Beyonce was only 17 or 18 when those songs came out, I would not expect much more lyrically from a girl group coming up in the late 90s. And Kandi Burruss from Real Housewives wrote most of their songs anyway.

by Anonymousreply 241May 13, 2016 11:42 PM

Her face never changed, R240, so I'm pretty sure she found her best light and stayed in it. It was actually bizarre. She didn't even ask if anyone was hurt! Or look around to see.

by Anonymousreply 242May 13, 2016 11:45 PM

I guess nothing has changed based on that elevator video R242

by Anonymousreply 243May 14, 2016 12:22 AM

Jay-Z sells millions of albums, gets critical praise, and would likely be praised by every celebrity mentioned in this thread.

I still would never listen to any of his songs voluntarily, and think he's equally uninteresting as a personality and performer as Beyonce.

by Anonymousreply 244May 14, 2016 1:12 AM

Is miss charlie having one of her fits of outrage again over the young pretty talented ladies who outsell, outperform and overshadow old Barbara Streusel ?

by Anonymousreply 245May 14, 2016 3:45 AM

r188 Kylie is more polished than her. for fuck's sake Coco Lee is more polished than her.

by Anonymousreply 246May 17, 2016 4:23 AM

If you look at a long list of distinguished black female singers and entertainers like Dionne, Donna Summer, Ronnie Spector, even to as recent as Anita Baker and Toni braxton. Beyonce ranks as the Black Britney Spears .

by Anonymousreply 247May 17, 2016 4:28 AM

She is like a fun drag queen to me, and she's fine with me if I leave it at that without a closer look . It's impossible for her to sing softly with that yelling, forced singing style she has, but she can dance her ass off. The themes of her albums are not evolving; her last few albums are a loop of songs about despair over side chicks/why don't you love me/ Jay Z's dick is the best/look at how in love we are. Now she has thrown black pride into the mix but in the Lemonade videos, it reads as though she is just using dark skinned, expressionless mostly Southern black people as props. And as others have said, she won't quit with those awful blonde wigs and weaves (and now blonde cornrows...ugh).

by Anonymousreply 248May 17, 2016 6:43 AM

[quote]Beyonce ranks as the Black Britney Spears .

It terms of fame yes. Career and vocal ability, I'm not seeing it. Beyonce is still a leader in the music industry right now; she is still setting business trends in the industry. Those days are long behind for Britney.

by Anonymousreply 249May 17, 2016 10:36 PM

How can anyone compare Beyonce to Britney? Beyonce is a solid singer with a decent range. Shitney can't sing without auto-tune.

by Anonymousreply 250May 18, 2016 12:47 AM

yawnce

by Anonymousreply 251May 18, 2016 11:06 PM

What a passionate but bitchy thread. Love it!

by Anonymousreply 252September 6, 2016 1:08 AM

At least she deserves her fame. She's worked her ass off since she was a kid.

by Anonymousreply 253September 6, 2016 1:10 AM

Jennifer Holliday can out-sing all these ladies

by Anonymousreply 254September 6, 2016 1:25 AM

R250 Shitney Spears! Shitina Haguilera. Shitney Houston. Be'yawn ce. Whoreiah Carey. Omg. I love all you hateful cunt's invective against today's and yesterday's poptarts. Keep it up, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 255May 28, 2018 7:52 PM

Beyonce has about ten songs I fucking love. Naughty Girl sounds like Donna Summer only very sexy with a killer range. Check On It is a naughty sex song about oral sex that even a church choir can get down and naughty to.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256October 5, 2018 5:33 PM

I love Beyoncé.

by Anonymousreply 257October 6, 2018 3:49 PM

I love Beyoncé. She is the mighty queen of all negros and negresses.

by Anonymousreply 258November 6, 2019 7:59 PM

Bland, manufactured and dull.

by Anonymousreply 259November 6, 2019 8:21 PM

Nobody under 40 gives a fuck about Tuna Turner. She is for the Oldsters. Even if Tina can technically sing, not everyone can deal with her screaming and harsh tone.

by Anonymousreply 260November 6, 2019 8:56 PM

R259 basically the complete opposite to FKA Twigs.

by Anonymousreply 261November 7, 2019 2:25 AM

She sounds like dozens of other pop singers. No real charisma. Utter crap.

by Anonymousreply 262November 7, 2019 2:58 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!