Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Country Music Gossip II

Nashville Guy and others—more gossip here...

by Anonymousreply 476March 9, 2020 9:30 AM

Thanks for setting up a new thread!

by Anonymousreply 1April 26, 2016 3:50 PM

This is from the previous thread:

"Why does country music seem to chew them up and then spit them out in much greater numbers than other genres? I'm not just talking one hit wonders. Acts that had a long string of hits and then it's like they are intentionally exiled by country music establishments. Another huge favorite of mine was Holly Dunn. Loved her. String of hit. Then gone."

I don't know about Holly Dunn, but many country stars from the eighties and nineties are still active today: George Strait, Reba McEntire, Tim McGraw, just to name a few. And for those lucky country stars who belong to the Grand Ole Opry, there is job security.

by Anonymousreply 2April 26, 2016 6:26 PM

Thanks for the new thread, Nashville Guy.

by Anonymousreply 3April 26, 2016 6:29 PM

[quote] I don't know about Holly Dunn, but many country stars from the eighties and nineties are still active today: George Strait, Reba McEntire, Tim McGraw, just to name a few.

Reba hit the wall in terms of radio support a few years ago, and after an almost unprecedented run, King George has also hit the radio wall with his last two cd's. It is true that Tim McGraw continues to have hit singles and radio play.

by Anonymousreply 4April 26, 2016 6:31 PM

Nashville guy here. Yes, I remember the great Tejano push, too. Rick Travino was also in that group. Everyone expected big things, but the non Latin-speaking audience just didn't care, and the Latin-speaking community already had their musical heroes, and didn't need the major labels to tell them what to listen to. It was a completely ridiculous endeavor.

Lorrie Morgan? She had a fantastic run, but she got older and it just gets harder to get airplay. Same for Reba. Also, radio just isn't kind to female acts. I just looked at the top 25 Billboard country songs. Only TWO of them are by female acts. TWO. Radio just doesn't play them anymore, which is why you see acts like Reba and the other gals disappearing. I think it's a shame, because some of my favorite singers have been the females -- Suzzy Boggus, Nanci Griffith, Kathy Mattea, Trisha, etc -- who were more likely to sing about the heartache.

by Anonymousreply 5April 26, 2016 10:40 PM

Baby I Lied is close to one of the best songs ever. Loved Lorrie Morgan's run. I loved her remake of A Picture of Me Without You. There were few artists who used the video aspect of hit making like Lorrie did. She really had a great run of QUALITY hits. Her version of My Favorite Things is my favorite.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 26, 2016 10:56 PM

Is this the reason why the group, Alabama broke up? They were getting too old for today's country market. The country market today that sounds more like hard rock and pop at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 7April 26, 2016 11:15 PM

Have you heard Lorrie Morgan's song "I Can Buy My Own Roses"? The sonics of the song are dated, but what a great song. And it's a shame you just don't hear these kind of songs on the radio anymore.

And, no, Alabama broke up because they're old, had toured forever, and just didn't need to do it anymore. Sometimes an act knows when enough is enough. Randy Owen took a stab at a solo career, but he didn't do that well. The label he was on folded, and, my guess is, he just didn't feel like jumping back in with a new label, new producers, etc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 26, 2016 11:22 PM

I'm not that into country music, but Nashville Guy is fantastic. Thanks for all the info!

by Anonymousreply 9April 26, 2016 11:26 PM

Agreed r9. Thanks Nashville Guy. It's been a good read.

by Anonymousreply 10April 26, 2016 11:29 PM

Nashville guy here. Thank you for the compliments. I appreciate it.

by Anonymousreply 11April 26, 2016 11:51 PM

DAY-UM! For a fantastic retro country recording check this out. Just the piano intro made me practically levitate! Miss Lorrie Morgan.........

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12April 27, 2016 12:11 AM

R6 I love Lorrie Morgan's version of " My Favorite Things"- better than Carrie Underwood's version. I always thought Rick Trevino was hot.

by Anonymousreply 13April 27, 2016 12:27 AM

We never established in the last thread whether Marty Stuart has (had) a womanly ass. Does he?

by Anonymousreply 14April 27, 2016 12:29 AM

Is it true that Leann Rimes is a twat?

by Anonymousreply 15April 27, 2016 12:32 AM

Wow. I had never heard that version of "Leaving on Your Mind." I didn't think anyone could top Patsy's version, but Lorrie's is incredible. By the way, I don't know if it's obvious from the video, but the piano player is blind. I've also used him for many sessions. He can't read the chart like the other musicians, so relies strictly on ear and memory. He is an amazing player.

by Anonymousreply 16April 27, 2016 12:50 AM

Jesus H. All of Lorrie's hits are coming back to me. Kris Kristofferson guesting in her video for I Guess You Had to be There.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 27, 2016 12:55 AM

Nashville Guy - thanks for your insight!

by Anonymousreply 18April 27, 2016 1:00 AM

R16, an old friend shot that vid and I remember him saying the pianist is blind! That is just amazing! The entire arrangement is so perfect and pure that it gives me chills each time I hear it again. That is what made country music great. Sure, it has pop overtones, but it hasn't sold out the heart like current country has. Lorrie recorded an entire album worth of classic songs like LEAVIN', but I'm not sure it was ever released in the traditional way. I don't think she was signed with a major label at the time. Our loss.

by Anonymousreply 19April 27, 2016 1:03 AM

Love the gossip on Deborah Allen. Know anything about KT Oslin?

by Anonymousreply 20April 27, 2016 1:04 AM

Country music is brutal. Yes all music artists fade from the top, but no other genre of music discards them as quickly and fully as country music radio and media. Trisha Yearwood is referenced in every major pop music singing competition as one of the great voices of the last 25 years and she is reduced to a cooking show and a county fair. Faith Hill and Leann Rimes are often mentioned as two of the greatest female singers in all music, but can't even catch the older Reba or Martina spot on an awards show. Yeah, we get some great storytelling and outlaws and singers of character. But the lowest common denominator trend has taken over post 2000. The Band Perry was fresh, and then they weren't. Miranda Lambert was raw and rough but with success became better looking and afraid to sing live. Got to give some props to the ubiquitous and not quite right Carrie Underwood. She is not one of the greats, but she holds her spot. Being one of the best vocalists in the world, like k.d. Lang means nothing if cynical, slick, sophisticated Nashville and it's hick followers don't like you. The majority of fans don't understand just how slickly they are being controlled. So they go to county fairs.

by Anonymousreply 21April 27, 2016 1:15 AM

How are the band Trick Pony being treated in the Nashville music press?

by Anonymousreply 22April 27, 2016 4:30 PM

I really like the "outsiders" in country music. Someone mentioned Sturgill Simpson in the other thread—I think he's one of the most intelligent country lyricists out there today, but I've also got a soft spot for Dave Rawlings. I doubt very much there's anything gay related there, but I wonder if Nashville Guy's got any info on these two?

by Anonymousreply 23April 27, 2016 4:36 PM

Lookalike, "bro country" acts dominate the country charts.

by Anonymousreply 24April 27, 2016 6:12 PM

Not strictly "country" but, R21. since you mentioned k.d. lang,I thought this might interest you: I'm absolutely in love with her new trio project, case/lang/veirs. It's k.d, Neko Case and Laura Veirs, each of them brilliant solo performers but their combined talents on the new album is astonishing. It'll be one of the albums of the year (I've been listening to a preview copy but it's out in June). They sing solo and in duo/trio mode. Pure magic.

Here's a slice of k.d. lang heaven from it, Honey And Smoke.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25April 27, 2016 7:07 PM

Here's the opening track from the case/lang/veirs album. k.d. takes a more supporting role on this one. God, I love this album.

Like I said, not strictly country but it's folk/pop elements make it sound closer to real country than the pure pop you find on the country charts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26April 27, 2016 7:16 PM

Deborah Allen's Prince song really isn't bad. It must have been flattering and encouraging to be assigned to Prince. She probably thought she had it made at that point. Can't say I blame her. The come down must have hurt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 27, 2016 7:22 PM

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 28April 27, 2016 9:34 PM

R21, you may be on to something... I enjoyed Lorrie Morgan's music years ago, but had completely forgotten about her - I mean COMPLETELY, and yet, one video and I'm reminded of what a wonderful voice she had.

I don't know if all country artists are 'discarded', I sometimes wonder if some just reach a certain peak and know they can walk away - like Trisha Yearwood. She spent time helping him raise his daughters, created far more low-key career and is now touring with Garth. Life's good, right?

by Anonymousreply 29April 27, 2016 10:47 PM

U.K. fan here. With the relatively new C2C festival, current headliners are visiting our shores which is great (Chris Stapleton blew everyone away this year). Shane MacAnally hosted the songwriters event -hilarious guy. Nashville Guy - Any interesting info on the following: Dixie Chicks Sugarland Brandy Clark Thanks in advance.

by Anonymousreply 30April 27, 2016 11:56 PM

I second wanting some info on Sugarland. Have they broken up for good?

by Anonymousreply 31April 28, 2016 12:00 AM

WEHT Deana Carter?

by Anonymousreply 32April 28, 2016 12:14 AM

NG here. That's short for Nashville Guy. Even at the height of popularity, the Chicks were never in Nashville longer than they needed to be. They wrote most of their own songs, lived in Texas, and just came here for a few weeks to record, so they never were integrated into the day to day life. I wonder if their problems would have been less severe if the Nashville music community felt they were one of them. People loved them because they were making money and there's nothing Nashville music industry likes more than making money, but they were never really one of us.

I used to write with Brandy Clark. She's lovely. And this will tell you something about how tough it is for gays. When we first wrote, many years ago, neither of us kew the other was gay. I didn't know until about six months after our first writing appointment. I don't care for her music as much as I wish I did, but she is a lovely woman.

I don't know anything about Sugarland. The band really was just Nettles' voice, so my guess is they are broken up for good. Why would she need Bush? He really didn't add anything to the mix.

And I disagree that country discards their performers more than any other genre. Look at Billboard's pop chart from, say, five years ago, and see how few of the performers on it are still active. ALL music discards the older for the newer at an alarming rate. I think the difference is that there are more pop oldies stations than there are country oldies stations, so we seem to hear the older acts more, but that doesn't mean they haven't been discarded and are now playing at a bowling alley someplace in Wisconsin.

by Anonymousreply 33April 28, 2016 2:11 AM

Shane Mack(Anally) has had some success while being an out gay man. What do you think is different about him or his particular situation, if anything, that has made his career possible in Nashville? His success seems to be primarily as a writer although he is a gifted singer.

by Anonymousreply 34April 28, 2016 5:16 PM

Shane is the exception, He was already fairly well known already in the community -- he had a record out a few years ago -- before he came out. There MUST be more gay writers out there, but hell if I know them. It is a very competitive and conservative and christian environment, and most people who are ambition and want to succeed will keep their private life private.. I'm glad for him that he has found as much success as he has. He was lucky to have been signed by a very liberal and supportive publisher, and a main contact on his publishing team is a gay woman that everyone in town loves and who is extremely effective at what she does, so he had an ideal situation, and he was fortunate to have been surrounded by liberal and open-minded people. I'm sure he still gets a little resistance for being gay.

I'll tell you how unfriendly the environment is here: I had been writing with an artist for a number of months, and we had become fairly friendly. After a few months of writing with him, it came out in conversation that I am gay. He looked at me and said "how can you write love songs to women if you're gay?" I explained to him that emotions are emotions, and it doesn't matter if I prefer men or women. He didn't really care -- we remained friends, and even got a big nomination for a song we wrote -- but the fact that he had to ask that tells you something about how conservative it is here. I'm glad I'm not doing it anymore, but, I will be honest, SOMETIMES I miss it, but I wouldn't want to write the music that is on the radio now.

by Anonymousreply 35April 28, 2016 6:15 PM

Hey NG - good to hear your stories. I'm actually in Nashville and in the industry as well. Work for a publishing company. We love our writers here! I haven't read the whole string, but what I have, I pretty much agree with you.

by Anonymousreply 36April 28, 2016 6:33 PM

Shane writes some really good stuff. Songs with the heart still in them.

NG, I wish you could tell us who you are. I'd love to hear some of the material you wrote.

When I was a kid country was my Dad's music that I wouldn't have been caught dead listening to. Now those old songs and the better stuff now are, in addition to pop/rock oldies, all I listen to. I enjoy being sung to now rather that sung(or screamed, or rapped) at. And yeah, I'm a sarcophagay(so old in gay years that I should be in a pyramid).

by Anonymousreply 37April 28, 2016 9:37 PM

Is Steve Grand really into fisting?

by Anonymousreply 38April 28, 2016 10:31 PM

NG- even though I am not a fan of " bro-country" it seems that a lot of these young guys like Thomas Rhett, Brett Eldredge, Easton Corbin, Dustin. Lynch, and Chris Young -are being controlled in every way by their record companies. Even Aldean, Bryan, and Shelton seem like puppets. Is it a desire for just fame and money? Are they fake artist?

by Anonymousreply 39April 29, 2016 12:04 AM

NG here. I think the famous acts were ALWAYS controlled by the labels and the producers. I think there are probably two things at work here: One, the tone of the music has changed. It used to be about finding the absolute best songs, and crafting a persona from your choice of material. The bar was so much higher then, and some great songs really were being recorded. Two, nowadays it's more about having an image, which, I think, is a result of the social media. The current acts might seem more controlled because they have to present the same scripted concept to facebook, to instagram, etc. Nothing is spontaneous anymore, and that could be why they seem more like puppets. But the bigger acts always were puppets, but they were singing songs that had more substance -- and we didn't see them on social media 24/7 -- so it wasn't always as noticeable.

by Anonymousreply 40April 29, 2016 12:35 AM

Bump this thread some more.

by Anonymousreply 41April 30, 2016 6:28 PM

NG why do think that the Christian Gospel genre attracts so many closet cases? Do you think country music will ever be more open to people of color and gays?

by Anonymousreply 42May 1, 2016 1:17 AM

Thank you, r25/26 for alerting me to that new album! Love those clips you posted and will buy the CD day one. I don't always like kd lang's choice of material but this sounds fantastic. And her voice is so velvety smooth I'd listen to her sing the phone book. I'm surprised it's taken this long for a new (old) generation of artists to form a trio like Dolly-Linda-Emmylou did.

by Anonymousreply 43May 1, 2016 2:13 AM

Did Emmylou Harris have any female lovers back in her hey day in the 1970's?

by Anonymousreply 44May 1, 2016 3:29 PM

R44 - never ever heard that about Emmylou. In her early career, she was often linked to Gram Parsons, although that might have just a singing partnership. Gram's death influenced her songwriting. Just listen to Boulder to Birmingham. She's been married at least 3 times including to Brian Ahern and Paul Kennerley.

by Anonymousreply 45May 1, 2016 4:06 PM

Thanks, r45.

Emmylou's early music is awesome.

by Anonymousreply 46May 1, 2016 6:51 PM

NG -- I've heard the rumors about Emmy, too, but they're not true. I'm also willing to believe that the relationship between her and Parsons was purely platonic. At this point, why would she continue to deny it; it's not like saying she had been with him is going to hurt anyone. BTW, if anyone doesn't know Gram Parson's music but loves the fusion of rock and country, they should give him a listen. He was a Harvard student who then joined the Byrds, and his love of old country music steered them into exploring country music, beginning with their album "Sweethearts of the Rodeo." He then founded the Flying Burrito Brothers, and eventually left them to release two solo projects. They are both very much worth listening to. He died of an overdose before the second one came out, I want too say it was 1972 or something like that. He was also a drug buddy of Keith Richards, and influenced his songwriting, particularly the Exile album. GP's song "Thousand Dollar Wedding" still gets to me, and probably always will.

RE all the closet cases in Christian music. I don't know why the industry attracts them, but it does. Then again, the church itself attracts so many closet cases, so I'm not sure the industry is any different than any pulpit. To explain why they are drawn to it would take a million psychiatrists, and that still wouldn't explain why someone is drawn to something that condemns them.

by Anonymousreply 47May 2, 2016 3:14 PM

That should have been NG here, not just NG.

by Anonymousreply 48May 2, 2016 3:15 PM

LeeAnn Womack and Pam Tillis are two more artists that were huge in their respective times and then just disappeared. I just bought Pam's greatest hits on ITunes and had forgotten how much I enjoyed her music.

by Anonymousreply 49May 2, 2016 3:23 PM

Other NG here. An older buddy of mine use to be a big-time arranger/producer in the contemporary Christian industry. Was very closeted at the time. He had enough, came out, then work totally dried up. Very sad. He soon moved away. While there are many around, they have to stay closeted. Now, on the other hand, I know many gay folks in both the country and CC industry who, because they are not artist, can be out. It's crazy.

by Anonymousreply 50May 2, 2016 6:37 PM

R50 does that mean there is a secret gay casting couch in country and Christian gospel? That wouldn't surprise me. In fact it would explain a lot. I have often thought that too performers were image over substance. Can't imagine that there not a toll charge.

by Anonymousreply 51May 3, 2016 9:01 PM

I know it's sacrilege but I think Emmylou is way overrated. Every friggen song sounds the same.

by Anonymousreply 52May 3, 2016 9:28 PM

I've never cared for Emmylou's voice. Put Emmylou, Ronstadt, and Dolly together, though, and it's delicious.

by Anonymousreply 53May 3, 2016 9:34 PM

Thank you for all of her inside info Nashville guy. The '90s were my favorite period of country music. My favorites included early Clint Black, Alan Jackson, Tanya Tucker, Suzy Bogguss, Tracy Byrd, Patty Loveless. Pam Tillis, Lorrie Morgan, and Sammy Kershaw. I used to enjoy everything I heard back then. The last artists whose music I enjoyed a lot were Gary Allan and Joe Nichols, both of whose latest albums have been shelved after their lead off singles stiffed. I appreciate your stories on these vintage artists and music from that period.

by Anonymousreply 54May 3, 2016 9:49 PM

I liked Ricky Van Shelton a lot too.

by Anonymousreply 55May 3, 2016 9:55 PM

Would love more Dolly gay gossip.

Thanks, NG for bringing the good stuff. Glad you stayed with us.

by Anonymousreply 56May 3, 2016 9:56 PM

When Shania Twain's popularity faded away in the early to mid 2000's? Did the Nashville music community cheered with glee?

by Anonymousreply 57May 3, 2016 9:56 PM

What's up with Tanya Tucker. I know she's old but the last time I saw her it was so depressing.

by Anonymousreply 58May 3, 2016 10:08 PM

If they did R57, little did they know there was much worse to come. I wouldn't blame much of it on Shania. Shania's songs sound like masterpieces compared to the crap that gets marketed as hits now. The last country song I liked was Miranda's The House That Built Me.

The 1990s really were a golden time for country music. Unlike pop music which was having its romance with grunge and indie during that decade, some of the best singer and songwriters were at play in country music, past the big hair stage for some great female artists and some everyone seemed legit, cowboy hat or not. The Dixie Chicks were the real turning point when enormous cross hype and sales overshadowed talent that needed to be protected. Later the popularity of Ms. Taylor Swifty put a big hole in country music. They have recovered a bit, but the juvenile lyrics and generic beats and harmonies these days are unlistenable to me. Miranda wins every damn thing because fake as she is, her sound is real.

by Anonymousreply 59May 3, 2016 10:15 PM

*somehow everyone seemed legit...

by Anonymousreply 60May 3, 2016 10:17 PM

It was indeed a good time. Do you think the likes of Mary Chapin Carpenter will get a primetime special again? Look at the talent on that stage. At least 20 million records. I don't know who they could put up there now. Wynonna backed out of being in on this performance at the last minute. She would only do it if she was upfront with Mary. I hope she's matured a little and regrets it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61May 3, 2016 10:40 PM

R54 and R55 I agree hundred percent. Who would thought that the nineties would be the last time for consistently good country music.

by Anonymousreply 62May 3, 2016 10:41 PM

In that video, even with all that talent, Trisha's voice rises above them all.

by Anonymousreply 63May 3, 2016 10:43 PM

Man check this ensemble out too. You'll never see something like this again. I never understood why Mary couldn't comprehend that people liked her uptempo songs better than her funeral dirges. She would have had a longer career. Jesus H. the roster on this one. Even Tammy makes an appearance. Plus grand dyke Michelle Wright.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64May 3, 2016 10:51 PM

Great country blogs-countryperspective.com, countryuniverse.net, savingcountrymusic.com

by Anonymousreply 65May 3, 2016 10:58 PM

R64 - that is a cool video. I was surprised that old time cowgirl singer Patsy Montana was also there. She was probably in her mid 80s by then. I have to give credit to MCC and the show's producers. That evening was very special to many of those pioneers such as Kitty Wells.

by Anonymousreply 66May 3, 2016 11:26 PM

It's sort of strange to see Patsy after so many years. I looked her up on Wikipedia, and today is the 20th anniversary of her death (May 3, 1996).

by Anonymousreply 67May 3, 2016 11:40 PM

I like a lot of MCC's "funeral dirges," R64, but I certainly do wish she'd mix them up with more uptempo material again. She has a new CD out this Friday that is getting pretty positive reviews but there's no "Hard Way" or "He Thinks He'll Keep Her" on it, that's for sure.

It must have been a thrill for her to be on that stage with all those country legends, singing her songs.

by Anonymousreply 68May 3, 2016 11:58 PM

Or, I bet, Passionate Kisses, Down at the Twist and Shout, I Feel Lucky, Quittin' Time, Never Had it so Good, The More Things Change...... She could also look pretty cute, as in those videos, when she got out of her pajamas, did her hair, and acted like she had given up yet. Here's what made Mary Chapin a star. She came in a nobody and left a star. This song from the awards was all anybody talked about the next day. Everyone was calling the radio stations and saying "who was that?". If you watched I bet you still remember this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69May 4, 2016 12:53 AM

That's the lore R69 and I'm sure some radio stations were talking about her the next day. I love Mary Chapin Carpenter. I am a guy, not a lesbian for clarity. Her dirges and her uptempos are great, but don't kid yourself the uptempos died out pretty quick and that was a novelty song. You just like her short hair ))

I can remember my mother dancing with my baby nephew to Down at the Twist and Shout, sweet. Passionate Kisses and He Thinks He'll Keep Her are good songs. I listen to those old CD's but had to let her go. I love my old Rosanne Cash music too, maybe even more. Happy to say I have seen them both perform a few times. They are both great songwriters and good musicians with great bands. But to sing with only piano or guitar accompaniment such lovely lonely long songs, with such an evocative beautiful voice....Mary Chapin Carpenter is one great lost artist. I AM gonna check out her new album though. The into here is annoying but the rest is bliss...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70May 4, 2016 7:23 AM

NG here. What a beautiful video, R70. I had never seen that before. Shawn Colvin is another one MIA, although I think it might be from laziness on her part. I've heard her say so many times that she doesn't like to write, and she probably lost her desire to perform along the way. What a glorious voice she has, though. Her version of "I've Never Seen Blue Like That" is for the ages.

And don't mourn MCC. She had an incredible run, especially for someone who was always more folk than country. She's still touring -- she was here with the Symphony less than a year ago -- and putting out cd's, although they are becoming less and less commercial.

It is a shame that the last great stretch of country music was in the 90's. I just can't imagine it coming back to that level anymore. There is no money is songwriting anymore -- or at least it's harder to make a living that it used to be -- so it is attracting fewer people, and those that can do other things ARE doing other things. The artists are writing more of their songs with bandmates, and, not to be unkind, but they just aren't as talented or as good as those who chose to just write. The quality of the song has and will continue to suffer.

Perhaps country music was so great in the 90's because those who grew up listening to the 70's and early 80's group of singer/songwriters -- Joni, Jackson Browne, Randy Newman, Dan Fogelberg, et al -- became adults, and wrote country music because rock had moved on to harder-edged and hair metal, so country provided an opening. I think the best country music of the 90's had a folk edge -- MCC, Nanci, Kathy Mattea, Rosanne -- and we will never see that folk and singer/songwriter influence again. It will be bro country and hip-hop influenced country until the next thing comes along, which, my guess is will be even worse and even farther away from what made country music great.

by Anonymousreply 71May 4, 2016 5:33 PM

[quote]Shawn Colvin is another one MIA, although I think it might be from laziness on her part.

I saw Colvin on tour a couple of months ago. Just her and her guitar, sounded great. She has a duets album with Steve Earle out next month.

by Anonymousreply 72May 4, 2016 6:33 PM

That whole Joni Mitchell tribute was a fun show. Wy did a great job too. Plus she was still under two tons so she didn't have fat voice yet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73May 4, 2016 7:00 PM

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 74May 5, 2016 11:44 PM

Does anyone know which '90s male country stars have big wieners?

by Anonymousreply 75May 6, 2016 12:04 AM

What's the deal with Keith Urban? Gay?

by Anonymousreply 76May 6, 2016 1:16 AM

R75 -- NG here. I don't know about any of them for sure, but I saw Darryl Worley a few times during the 90's, and he looked like he was packing something huge. And he was handsome as hell, I thought.

I believe Urban is straight. You see him and Nicole around town, and their relationship seems very genuine. I also know people who were friends with him well before he became successful, and they swear he's straight, too. He's also an incredible nice guy.

by Anonymousreply 77May 6, 2016 4:53 AM

Worley did a Playgirl shoot several years back, but only showed hiney. Also, isn't he Ike 6'7" or so?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78May 6, 2016 6:39 PM

Other NG here. I too, have seen Daryl in person. Very tall, and very handsome! Year ago, I saw Tom Wopat in the gym shower. Thing of beauty! nice ass and well hung! Also saw Billy Dean. Nice, thick ass, but not so much up front.

by Anonymousreply 79May 6, 2016 7:03 PM

Details on Dean and Wopat, please. Drawings or diagrams would be helpful.

by Anonymousreply 80May 6, 2016 7:47 PM

10 Questions for Natalie Maines

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81May 7, 2016 6:30 PM

I bet the other Dixie Chicks hate Natalie Maines.

by Anonymousreply 82May 7, 2016 6:33 PM

What did Allison Krauss thought of working with Robert Plant a few years ago?

by Anonymousreply 83May 7, 2016 7:20 PM

Anyone know anything about the uber hot Andrew Combs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84May 7, 2016 7:28 PM

With short hair, loving his album All These Dreams

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85May 7, 2016 7:30 PM

Behind the Curtain: an intimate look at Nashville’s music scene - in pictures

Documenting Nashville as a community is the focus of a 10-year project by Sonya Jasinski and Kate York – they’ve captured candid moments with some of the stars of country at home and life on the road. Nashville: Behind the Curtain is published by Insight Editions

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86May 7, 2016 10:42 PM

Tom Carter and Nancy Jones (George's wife) published a book in 1999 called Nashville Wives. It was an interesting read. Does anyone remember the book?

by Anonymousreply 87May 8, 2016 12:03 AM

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 88May 8, 2016 3:00 PM

We all know that Randy Travis had the most ridiculous celebrity beard of all time, Lib Hatcher. I had always thought Lib might have felt some horny cougar feels for Randy despite the bearding, but somebody in an old thread says that she continued to live with her ex-husband while she and Randy were married.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89May 8, 2016 7:38 PM

Billy Ray Cyrus?

by Anonymousreply 90May 8, 2016 10:46 PM

R89, you can't imagine the hot sordid lovemaking between Randy Travis and Lib Hatcher?

by Anonymousreply 91May 8, 2016 11:39 PM

Maybe he was covered on the first thread but do either Nashville Guys have any info on Phil Vassar? He wrote a bunch of hit songs for other artists before becoming a successful recording artist himself. I know he's married to a woman and has several kids but he always stuck me as gay for some reason. Maybe the highlights in his hair.

He had a good run in the 90s and early 2000s but seems to have fallen out of favor like most of the artists mentioned on this thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92May 9, 2016 5:14 AM

I'm curious what Nashville really thinks of Taylor Swift abandoning country music for pop music and has this hurt her reputation with Nashville? It seems she has turned her back on country music which made her rich and famous to begin with.. Perhaps the Nashville scene never truly accepted her as country artist so they were glad to see her go. We have all heard the rumors that she has long employed ghost writers to write her songs and her image is manufactured to a T and let's not get into why she can't seem to have a relationship with a guy that isn't the subject of gay rumors and Taylor herself is no stranger to having rumors swirl regarding her own sexuality..

by Anonymousreply 93May 9, 2016 5:58 AM

NG here. Phil Vassar is straight. He had a good run, but, you're right, he has somewhat disappeared. He was a good writer, but I just never bought him as an artist. He's too stiff, too..I don't know. He has talent, but I'm not sure he needs to be on a stage.

Taylor Swift is a great writer. I know many many people who have written with her, and they insist that she does the heavy lifting, and they said that long before she become the juggernaut she is now. She was considered part of the community, because, even though she had pop leanings, she WAS in Nashville, writing, and her first albums were marketed to country radio. She has the respect of the community, and people like her. She's made many people very rich. A friend of mine was in her band until just recently, and she has nothing but wonderful things to say about her. She is generous and thoughtful, but doesn't seek the publicity for it. Here's one story that illustrates what she's like. At a party before she hit it REALLY big, she mentioned how there was a contest in a city she was playing, and the prize was getting to spend the afternoon with her, and going to the concert with her in a limo. The other people she was telling was saying how awful that is, to have to spend that time with "fans," but Swift was genuinely excited about it, and thought it would be fun. Granted, she wouldn't do anything like that now, and yes, her image is somewhat manufactured, but that is the result of living in the spotlight, and having every single thing you do analyzed and discussed, but, at the core, she is a kind, generous, thoughtful person, with an immense gift for writing. And no matter what I say, people are going to say that she doesn't write her own songs, but she does, and she's brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 94May 9, 2016 2:46 PM

PS. NG here again. I don't know if Swift is gay. The only time I've heard rumors about it are on here. No one here says anything. One of her early, steady writers is a lesbian, and I've written with her and know her, and she hasn't said anything. I know that I would hate to have my dates blasted all over the media, and I can't imagine having a normal dating life, knowing that everything will be written about.

by Anonymousreply 95May 9, 2016 3:10 PM

NG here again. People keep saying Randy Travis is closeted. My guess is he is straight. I think the rumors started because he was muscular in a time when straight men didn't work out, but there hasn't been anyone who has stepped out and said they've been with him, and, given how long he's been famous, there must be SOMEONE who has, if he is gay or closeted. He is a redneck to the core, and was a dishwasher at a horrible nightclub when he got discovered. My guess would be straight, but I have no evidence or concrete information either way.

by Anonymousreply 96May 9, 2016 4:33 PM

NG I heard that the Rascal Flatts guys swing both way. Ans what ever happened to Tracy Byrd - he was handsome, and a good singer.

by Anonymousreply 97May 9, 2016 5:48 PM

Other NG here - I agree with what NG says about Taylor. I have never met her, but I have been in meetings with her dad. He's very nice and incredibly smart! She has a rather large management team. Between her team, her label and her publishing company, the money keeps rolling in and other people are benefitting from it. So, it really doesn't matter if she is country or not at this point. I've never heard any gay rumors either.

Someone asked more about Wopat and Dean. Wopat was fairly hairy, very fit, bubble ass, with low-hanging balls and a thick cut, dick. What a sight! Dean was not very hairy at all. In fact, from what I remember, no chest hair and only a small patch of pubes. Average to small up front, but a big juicy ass!

by Anonymousreply 98May 9, 2016 6:18 PM

NG here. Hey, other NG. No matter what we say, people are going to trash Swift. I don't care for her newer music -- although I did love her first few cd's -- but I respect her talent. It is astonishing how many haters there are out there who insist that she doesn't really writer her stuff. And I wonder if our paths have crossed? Probably.

by Anonymousreply 99May 9, 2016 7:50 PM

NG here again. Tracy Byrd? He started singing too many ditties and novelty songs, and that is never the way to a long career path. Just ask Joe Diffie. I think he looks like Ted Cruz.

by Anonymousreply 100May 9, 2016 8:41 PM

"but there hasn't been anyone who has stepped out and said they've been with him"

No one has stepped out and said they've been with Kevin Spacey. He must be straight.

The rumors about Travis go back years, he married his "wife" shortly after being outed by The Globe tabloid.

by Anonymousreply 101May 9, 2016 8:47 PM

Other NG here. hey NG, I'm mostly in the business side of the music business and not the creative side. When our company was much smaller, I was more involved with the creative side. Unfortunately, I don't hear as much gossip as I used to. Sad about all of the changes happening on the Row. Just not the small community it used to be.

by Anonymousreply 102May 9, 2016 9:18 PM

Hi, NG's. Anyone know if Billy Dean is gay?

by Anonymousreply 103May 9, 2016 9:57 PM

How about ONG, for the original, and NG2 or something to differentiate?

by Anonymousreply 104May 9, 2016 10:45 PM

Would either of you have any advice on finding good songs and writers for someone not in Nashville?

by Anonymousreply 105May 9, 2016 11:32 PM

NG1 here, r 105. You can't. You have to be here to find the good songs. If you were here, you could go hear songwriters at the clubs, and ask them to send you a copy of a song or two that you liked. Some will do it, some won't. And you can visit pluggers at publishing houses and ask for songs. Some will meet with you, some will not. It all depends on how compelling your story is, and what you plan to do with the songs. You need to be here, though.

by Anonymousreply 106May 9, 2016 11:54 PM

I believe Swift writes her songs - or at the very least is very involved. I've found when someone I like doesn't write their songs (just has their name added to the credits like Beyoncé) it will usually be 1-4 songs I like on an album. When an artist I like is truly writing, either on their own or with co-writers, I'll usually enjoy 90% or more of the album. Maybe one or two songs that don't do it for me, but most I can enjoy. There is a consistency in the type of writing, the storytelling, etc. It's usually a small team that meshes well and gives a consistent voice to the album. When an artist has ten people writing on each song and that ten people changes every third song, the output shows.

I get why people want to hate her (TS). I'm a fan of her music but every time she does that whole "who me?" thing at an awards show - I roll my eyes and think it's an act. She's clearly a very smart woman who has dialed in on exactly how her fans want to see her and does a fantastic job of controlling her image. Even if it's not always genuine on her part (maybe it is), I respect that she's smart and driven enough to have mastered her brand and control it completely.

by Anonymousreply 107May 10, 2016 1:37 AM

Yes, but she can't sing. Taylor Swift can't sing. Don't bother arguing. I know she can't sing.

by Anonymousreply 108May 10, 2016 1:43 AM

ONG, what's your opinion, and knowledge of Julie and Buddy Miller? She's got a great voice. Also, how about The Mavericks? I realize they hail from the Miami scene, however are they respected in the country music community? I'd love to visit Nashville. Is Gary Chapman as big a mess (& whiney fuckwit) as is commonly opined?

by Anonymousreply 109May 10, 2016 1:59 AM

Chely Wright: Country singers need to support LGBT fans

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110May 10, 2016 10:51 AM

What's the dirt on the Country Music Hall of Fame selection process? It seems to be as selective and politically-driven as its counterpart in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. There must be a reason why talented but controversial artists like Randy Travis or Hank Williams Jr have not been inducted yet while safe bets like Vince Gill are already in.

by Anonymousreply 111May 10, 2016 3:09 PM

NG1 here. Julie and Buddy Millier are loved by the people who know of them, and who prefer the hipper strains of country music. They -- or at least Buddy, who is far the better-known of the two -- are respected and revered. Buddy is ALL OVER the tv show Nashville, and, I believe, is the show's music director. He also produced one of Patty Griffin's cd's, and she is loved by the more alternative-minded writers.

Even though the Mavericks were originally from Miami, they are very much thought of as a Nashville band now. Malo has lived here for some time, and his wife, Betty, is very visible. I think she produced or starred or did some sort of Nashville wives reality show. Malo is fairly active in the local music scene, and has a presence that seems to be larger than you'd expect it to be. The Mavericks were never THAT successful. I know that they have their fans, but I never cared for them. I'm surprised that he's still around and that they're still thought of.

As for the Hall of Fame. Wow. I had no idea. I've certainly been to the Hall of Fame -- it's pretty great -- but I never paid attention to who was or wasn't in it. I don't know a single thing about the selection process, but I also wonder if any of the acts who aren't in it really care that they're not. It doesn't have the same feel as the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, where inclusion really does mean something.

by Anonymousreply 112May 10, 2016 4:25 PM

Randy Travis is a douche but I'd say he is as deserving as Vince Gill

by Anonymousreply 113May 10, 2016 8:27 PM

Is there any favoritism in the Nashville Music scene?

by Anonymousreply 114May 10, 2016 11:16 PM

What happened to Julie Roberts' career? She had some good songs in the early 2000s, but her videos were awful. No emotion, dead in the eyes. But, I liked the songs.

And, I loved that song that had the lyrics, "Cupid works for the devil, be suspicious if he cries, ...shoes don't stretch, and men don't change." I can still see the video in my head. Can't remember the singer's name.

by Anonymousreply 115May 10, 2016 11:34 PM

My favorite relatively new singer in years is Kacey Musgraves. I don't even remember how I came across her. She sings two of my most favorite songs from possibly the last five years. I dare you to listen to these two and not love her. The first one, and my favorite song in YEARS, is This Town. I dare you not to tap your toes to this one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116May 10, 2016 11:57 PM

The next one by Kacey is Biscuits. If your a gay stoner who likes country music you have to love this one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117May 10, 2016 11:58 PM

Any gossip on Kenny Rogers?

by Anonymousreply 118May 11, 2016 12:17 AM

NG1 here. Julie Roberts never really took off. She had a decent-enough voice, but her songs just weren't good enough, I think. She still records independently, and, I think, most of her material now is Christian. She is a deep Christian. She also has MS, and has or is trying to become the face of MS; getting booked on talk shows, etc, to talk about the disease. I know her, she's nice enough, but her Christian bent puts me off.

And am I the only person who doesn't care for Kacey Musgraves? There's just something a little artificial and calculated about her being "real." I just don't buy it. She's not without talent, but there's just too much "hey, look at me, I said pot in a song!" going on with me to enjoy her music.

by Anonymousreply 119May 11, 2016 2:07 PM

most of them suck cock for a living!

by Anonymousreply 120May 11, 2016 2:18 PM

By the way -- the song that has the lyrics "shoes don't stretch and men don't change" was by Amy Dalley. She was signed to Curb for a while, and everyone thought she was going to be the next big thing, or at least have a decent career. Curb is not the best label, though, and they don't market their acts as much as throw everything they have against a wall to see which one sticks. She didn't. They released a few singles, but they never released a full-length cd. I don't know what she's doing now. It must be so hard to get THAT close to having a career, but then nothing comes of it. I look at pitch sheets from a year or two ago, and it's sad to see how many artists come so close to making it, but don't.

by Anonymousreply 121May 11, 2016 5:09 PM

What's been going on with the CMT (Country Music Television) Network?

by Anonymousreply 122May 11, 2016 6:20 PM

I think Kacey is the real deal. Before her two number one albums she was slugging it away as an independent. Writing, producing, and even burning and shipping the dam CDS. As successful as her sales have been, her stuff even went to number 1 in Europe, I'm surprised she doesn't get more attention. She wrote Mama's Broken Heart that Miranda did.

by Anonymousreply 123May 11, 2016 9:47 PM

Bump.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124May 11, 2016 11:32 PM

[quote] What's been going on with the CMT (Country Music Television) Network?

Could you elaborate?

by Anonymousreply 125May 12, 2016 7:33 PM

Thanks for the info on Julie Roberts and Amy Dalley. I can only imagine how exciting it can be to hear your song on the radio/video on tv and be so hopeful about the future....and then, nothing. How do you recover from the disappointment?

Seems like the same thing happened to...I think his name is Steve Azar (Me til Monday, Waiting on Joe).

by Anonymousreply 126May 12, 2016 7:56 PM

NG1,

I thought you might have some information about the CMT Network (Country Music Television). They played lots of country videos. They also had some original programming fifteen or sixteen years ago like Hip Trip, CMT All Access, CMT Homecoming, etc.

by Anonymousreply 127May 12, 2016 8:12 PM

NG1 Here. I have no clue about CMT. TV and videos are far removed from songwriting, and I've actually never watched CMT.

by Anonymousreply 128May 12, 2016 9:09 PM

NG2 here - I stopped watching CMT years ago - when they stopped playing videos. They are owned by CBS, I think, so it's no longer about the videos. It's about syndication and original programming aimed at the country market.

So, here's a little gossip. I have a friend (gal) who hooked up with Tim McGraw when he was first getting his start - why before Faith. She called him "pencil dick". She didn't elaborate and I didn't press for more details because it wasn't the place at the time. Kind of funny.

by Anonymousreply 129May 12, 2016 9:26 PM

Man, I haven't watched CMT in years... I did at one time, it's where I first saw Chris Cagle and found him to be hot, hot, hot. Yea, I know, he's a bit of a mess and no longer hot and retired, but woof when i first saw him.

On CMT I watched a season of Cowboy U - reality show of 'city slicker' put through their paces on a dude ranch. Yea, I loved it... the winner that year was some gay guy (don't remember his name). his being gay was handled really well... it just came out in conversation during one episode, no one (that I recall) freaked.

by Anonymousreply 130May 12, 2016 10:07 PM

Wasn't the CMT show Nashville Star where Blake Shelton's married mullet met out of tune Miranda Lambert? He was a judge and she was a contestant. She didn't win the show, but she got her man. Country Christians sure do cheat a lot. That cute Vassar dude was on the show too IIRC.

by Anonymousreply 131May 12, 2016 10:16 PM

Thanks for the info, NG2. I appreciate it.

by Anonymousreply 132May 12, 2016 10:20 PM

R129 aka NG2, did you know the guy Faith was engaged to when she got with Tim? There were rumors floating around Nashville before Tim M that the question of the day was always "Who's taking Faith home tonight?". Did you ever hear anything like that?

by Anonymousreply 133May 12, 2016 10:59 PM

R133-I heard that Faith was having an an affair with Alan Jackson when she and Tim toured for CMT. And that their first child is really Jackson's. Also that Buck Owens, Rhett Akins, Roy Clark, Ricky Skaggs, Gary LeVox are bisexuals.

by Anonymousreply 134May 12, 2016 11:28 PM

NG1 here. I know the guy Faith was engaged to. I also know her first husband -- last name Hill -- very well. There were a lot of rumors about Faith sleeping with pretty much everyone, and, yes, there were tons of rumors about her sleeping with Alan Jackson when they were on tour together. I have no idea if she did, but I think that a lot of the rumors were thinly-veiled misogyny. People just assumed that an ambitious, pretty woman MUST be sleeping around to get what she wants. I choose to believe that she is faithful, pardon the pun.

by Anonymousreply 135May 12, 2016 11:51 PM

I'm an old timer. I remember CMT when it was TNN. They had shows like NASHVILLE NOW, I-40 PARADISE, and YOU CAN BE A STAR. Them wuz the days.

by Anonymousreply 136May 13, 2016 3:22 AM

R133 here. NG1, I didn't mean to ignore you but NG2 had just posted a comment. I never heard the rumors about Faith and Alan. Didn't Alan and his wife separate at one point, rumored to be about him playing around while touring? I don't remember the timing but never heard any mention of Faith. I think she's probably played it straight after marrying Tim but the info I had came from a Nashville relative who worked for Music City News. It's all rumor anyway and the only person who knows the truth is Faith. That was a long time ago.

Do they still have the Patsy Cline show at the Ryman?

by Anonymousreply 137May 13, 2016 5:01 AM

Hey Nashville Guy (the original), a contestant on The Voice last week sang a gorgeous stripped version of Patty Griffin's Let Him Fly. Thought you might like it even though she ornaments it a lot vocally, she also delivers the lyric. Alison Porter is not a country artist but when you sing this good and people continue to discover the great songs of Patty Griffin, it's authentic. Thanks for all your contributions to this thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138May 13, 2016 5:32 AM

You're right, R52 - it's sacrilege.

by Anonymousreply 139May 13, 2016 6:21 AM

NG1 and/or NG2, how are WSM and the opry viewed around town? Liked? Admired? Tolerated? Loathed?

by Anonymousreply 140May 13, 2016 6:55 AM

Alisan Porter was Curly Sue! I don't watch The Voice. Have they mentioned she was a child actress?

by Anonymousreply 141May 13, 2016 7:26 AM

Another question related to Billy Dean. He wrote for and sang on actress Crystal Bernard's first CD. I guess they were said to be dating at the time (1996.) True? She released two country-ish CDs in the mid to late 90s. Was she ever even on the radar in Nashville or was she just viewed as cashing in on her TV fame? I actually like both her CDs but she just completely disappeared - from music AND TV - after they made no impact. Ever hear anything about her?

by Anonymousreply 142May 13, 2016 7:37 AM

NG2, is it true that Shotgun Red is a hermaphrodite?

by Anonymousreply 143May 13, 2016 3:03 PM

EXCLUSIVE: Shania Twain Tears Up Over Farewell Tour, Reveals New Album Details, and Goes Blonde: …

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144May 13, 2016 5:36 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 145May 13, 2016 6:56 PM

NG2 - Oh I was around when all of those Faith Hill rumors were around. I remember she coming to a company party we had when she was with the guy she was engaged to. She was beautiful back then. Just striking. Like NG1, I think a lot of the rumors where just that. I never heard any facts. I recently saw she and Tim at their daughter's school (Friday night football game). They were totally being parents. Didn't stick out at all. Very friendly towards everyone around them.

That's funny about Rhett Akins. He used to come to our place to write with some of our writers. Very hot guy. Never heard any bi rumors. If I did, I would have had to be bold and test that rumor. He's divorced, still writes a ton and has passed the artist baton down to his son, who in my opinion is not as hot as he is.

Everybody loves the Opry. Live music is still king and very respected around here.

by Anonymousreply 146May 13, 2016 8:01 PM

Country Charlie Pride, America's first ever black Country singer, is alive. But his career is still dead, dead, dead.

by Anonymousreply 147May 13, 2016 8:13 PM

An old friend shot or produced or somehow worked on several TMc vids from INDIAN OUTLAW on and had nothing but good things to say about him. I said I would love to get a look at the Mrs because I thought she was gorgeous. He just said "uh, yeah." He didn't sound impressed with her. Why, I don't know. Idiot that I was, I didn't pursue it.

He also worked with a now broken up(have they reunited?) duo and said they both had their side pieces even though both were married. One of these guy's wives wanted to get something going with my friend, maybe just as revenge. He declined.

by Anonymousreply 148May 13, 2016 8:43 PM

Why won't Connie White and Barbara Jean ever appear together on the same stage?

by Anonymousreply 149May 13, 2016 8:43 PM

I was surprised by the interview with Shania Twain. She seems much earthier and, um, "real" than I expected her to be. I assumed she would put on a fake patrician air. I was pleasantly surprised.

And who the hell is the guy interviewing her, Cameron Mathieson? I've never seen him before. He's hot as hell. What's his story?

by Anonymousreply 150May 13, 2016 9:36 PM

Cameron Mathison was on All My Children for years and was able to move to hosting some shows and doing like correspondent type stuff afterwards. I think he works with ET or Access or something. I think he was hoping to get a fulltime talk show host gig like Kelly Ripa but I don't know if he ever did.

by Anonymousreply 151May 13, 2016 11:00 PM

Shelby Lynne and Sheryl Crow were a couple for a short time.

by Anonymousreply 152May 13, 2016 11:05 PM

Thanks for the info, r152.

by Anonymousreply 153May 13, 2016 11:17 PM

Cameron Mathison is hot...and he just happens to like to wear thong underwear

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154May 13, 2016 11:35 PM

Cameron's also secure enough to wear the plunging "Deep V" neckline

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155May 13, 2016 11:38 PM

S&S. You can cut it with a knife.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156May 13, 2016 11:38 PM

Nothing on K.T. Oslin ? Ive heard that Tim McGraw is all potatoes with very little meat before . Personally , I never thought hes that great a singer , but he sure was hot .

by Anonymousreply 157May 14, 2016 12:41 AM

I can't remember his name, but he wears overalls and recently lost his wife. He's very good looking and has always pinged a little for me. Any stories?

by Anonymousreply 158May 14, 2016 2:29 AM

Kelly Clarkson?

by Anonymousreply 159May 14, 2016 4:12 PM

I loved KT Oslin when she was hot. But like Lorrie Morgan as soon as she faded she sort of fell of my playlist. I think I'll add some stuff today. Judging from interviews I don't think you'd find anything that interesting about KT Oslin herself. What I've always been more interested in is the players behind KT. I'd love to know who and how went to bat for her. Who was the brave soul that took a chance on letting a 40 something year old woman record her first record and giving her a contract.

by Anonymousreply 160May 14, 2016 4:34 PM

R158 You're talking about Rory and Joey. I don't know anything about either but I think that's who you're referring to.

by Anonymousreply 161May 14, 2016 6:52 PM

It's "Joey & Rory," kids. Rory Feek, whose wife Joey just died of cancer, such a shame.

Rory might "ping," but you might wanna keep your hands off, as I'm pretty sure they were a "fundie" couple. Pretty impressive music, though, over a half-dozen or so albums.

by Anonymousreply 162May 14, 2016 6:58 PM

He soaked that poor womans death till literally the last second , it was repulsive and sad .

by Anonymousreply 163May 14, 2016 8:06 PM

I can't believe the men don't wear cowboy hats anymore. It's just metrosexuals on speed relying on twang plug-ins these days.

by Anonymousreply 164May 14, 2016 8:25 PM

I want the dirt on Kenny Chesney. He's a fraud you know.

by Anonymousreply 165May 14, 2016 8:46 PM

What about Billy Ray Cyrus? Does he get along with his wife and kids?

by Anonymousreply 166May 14, 2016 8:55 PM

Come back NG1 & NG2....

We need some more gossip....

by Anonymousreply 167May 14, 2016 11:27 PM

Does Clint Black ever see the illegitimate kid he had before he hooked up with Lisa Hartman?

by Anonymousreply 168May 15, 2016 1:35 AM

NG1 here. I still check in, and will answer when I have something to add.

by Anonymousreply 169May 15, 2016 2:22 AM

That's alright, NG1. I appreciate it.

by Anonymousreply 170May 15, 2016 9:17 PM

I sure do miss the old Palamino Club in North Hollywood--a very down-low bi scene to be sure. I've always considered country to be tolerant of gay/bi sex, the 70's-80's country period and the California country-rock period. Heard a lot about Linda Rondstandt, and Emmylou. The guys were fairly quiet about it but indulged.

That was a GREAT period--1970's west coast era. Easy living, beer buzzes, open highways, gay affairs, straight affairs, Gram Parsons coolness....ya had to be there.

by Anonymousreply 171May 16, 2016 12:24 AM

NG1 here. The LA country scene and Nashville scene couldn't have been any different during the 70's. Oh to have been in LA! I wasn't around then, but have heard enough from people to know that Nashville wasn't tolerant of gay behavior at all. They also weren't appreciative of the LA brand of country rock, although they would later embrace it. When the Byrds played the Opry on the heels of "Sweethearts of the Rodeo" -- with GP in tow -- they were booed offstage. They thought rock was rock, and country was country, and didn't want to see it mixed. I don't know for sure, but I suspect that the Dirt Band was able to transcend its original rock origins and be accepted as a country band because they made great pains to include all the legends on their "Will the Circle be Unbroken" album.

by Anonymousreply 172May 16, 2016 2:14 AM

Hey NGs - just saw the queen, Miss Loretta Lynn, in Houston last Saturday. I was shocked at how good she sounded for 84. Her son, one of the twin daughters and a granddaughter were part of the act. Any good stories about Loretta and/or her family?

by Anonymousreply 173May 17, 2016 12:40 AM

Did you hear about Dolly, R171?

I've heard Linda had affairs with women, but I thought Emmylou was poker straight.

Sounds cool. Wish I'd been around then.

by Anonymousreply 174May 17, 2016 12:57 AM

R174, Believe it or not, Dolly wasn't very big news out here in the seventies. She was almost a fringe act!

Dolly wasn't considered camp back then, but perhaps a bit too cornball, or goofy. So no, there were no rumors about Dolly that I had heard of, she wasn't gossip fodder. Dolly wasn't cool in L.A. until the 1980's, when she was 'discovered' by the punk rockers.

Most of the gossip was about Linda. But Emmylou was always included in the talk. Projection, perhaps.

What women did at the parties in the Hollywood Hills or at the beach was no big deal. It was just hot tub material, and everyone wanted in on the action.

The country people were much cooler than the rock people, who were mostly grandiose assholes who lacked a moral center.

by Anonymousreply 175May 17, 2016 1:17 AM

Alabama is back together FYI.

Some this insider stuff should be taken with. Grain of salt as its not even legit. Every single George Strait song that is released goes straight #1. He is still the King of Country Music.

Tim McGraw is a nice dude when he is away from that viper of a wife.

by Anonymousreply 176May 17, 2016 1:22 AM

There was a bar called the SS Friendship right off of PCH where many of the gay men and women hung out. Lots of teachers, office workers, and a sprinkling of musicians would wander in. Very cool place, best gay bar in L.A.. for meeting someone nice who could hold an intelligent conversation.

A short walk up that street was the Golden Bull, where many a gay or lesbian musician would end up making out with each other in the booth. It was a very out place, and a cool stop off before they would hit the road to the parties in Malibu.

Don't know if these places are still around.

by Anonymousreply 177May 17, 2016 1:36 AM

NG1 here. I've seen Loretta Lynn at a club here and there -- in the audience, not to perform -- and she looks surprisingly good for her age. She is prettier than I expected. I wrote with one of her granddaughters a bunch of times, and I'm embarrassed to say I've forgotten her name. I can't believe I can't remember it!! She was WILD, or pretended to be. She seemed like she was a heavy drug user who dabbled in gay sex. Damn, I can't believe I forgot her name. She tried to have a solo career, but it didn't go anywhere. She used to want to hang out at night, but she scared me. She seemed like a reckless, loose cannon. It's been a while, and, I trust, she's settled down. Either that, or she's dead.

by Anonymousreply 178May 17, 2016 3:05 AM

Did any of the Eagles dabble in the mansex back in the day? I've always heard Henley was seriously twisted with women. Was he likewise with men?

by Anonymousreply 179May 17, 2016 4:54 AM

r 178 Tayla Lynn - she is alive, recovered, married to a hot guy and has two boys -according to her instagram, is trying to "normalize breast-feeding. I knew her back in the day - Franklin High -and your description is spot on.

by Anonymousreply 180May 17, 2016 5:26 AM

The Oak Ridge Boy would be Joe Bonsall. He and his wife, Mary are known swingers in the Hendersonville area.

by Anonymousreply 181May 17, 2016 5:28 AM

I'm not doubting your comment, R181, but I'm laughing at the idea that Hendersonville has (or had) a swingers group.

by Anonymousreply 182May 17, 2016 6:47 AM

Jennifer Nettles was on the Today show singing solo and looking like Jennifer Lawrence

by Anonymousreply 183May 17, 2016 6:52 AM

R 181 - you would be surprised at the hedonism that goes on in Hendersonville -dates back to Johnny Cash et. al in the 1960's. There was an evangelical preacher - Jimmy Snow, who was the son of Opry star Hank Snow, told Johnny Cash that God revealed to him that June Carter should divorce Cash and marry him. The Cash/Carter family attended his church on Dickerson Road at the time. Needless to say, that "revelation" put an end to the friendship and facilitated the demise of the church. Snow was married to the daughter of Wilma Lee and Stoney Cooper, Carol Lee at the time. At one time, a lot of country music stars and songwriters lived in Hendersonville and the Goodlettsville area. I was privileged to grow up in a neighborhood that counted Merle Haggard, Bobby Bare, and Mickey Newberry as neighbors.

by Anonymousreply 184May 17, 2016 2:55 PM

YES, 180! NG1 here. It was Tayla Lynn. I can't believe I forgot her name. I'm glad she has straightened out. She was sweet, but wild. Part of that, I suspect, was her way of rebelling against being Loretta Lynn's granddaughter.

by Anonymousreply 185May 17, 2016 3:13 PM

NG1 - Tayla was being Ernest Lynn's daughter - apple does not fall far from the tree! Tayla is touring with Loretta and part of the show - like Ernest and Patsy Lynn. She had some success as a member of Stealing Angels. They had a great song - "He Better Be Dead" - that received some airplay. Tayla quit the group just as they were gaining momentum. The other two girls were grandaughter(s) of John Wayne and Daniel Boone, they went on to participate in a reality tv show after the demise of the group.

by Anonymousreply 186May 17, 2016 3:58 PM

That should read - Mickey Newbury, damn autocorrect. Anyway - we lost a damn good one today - Guy Clark passed from the mortal coil. He, Townes, and Newbury were the trifecta of troubadour songwriters that set the standard which is now all but extinct.

by Anonymousreply 187May 17, 2016 4:34 PM

Why would you ask these 2 guys if anone is gay? They are obviously protecting celebrities on this thread. Some of what they talk about is true, but not about anyone's sexuality. If you believed them only that Chely person who already came out is gay. And that is bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 188May 17, 2016 4:49 PM

NG1 here. If I knew that someone were gay, I would say so. I'm not protecting anyone. The industry is competitive as fuck, and, most gay men -- closeted or not -- would not hold up under the scrutiny and the pressure. It's a very social industry; it's all about networking, and there is no room to hide. It's not like Hollywood, where people just turn a blind eye. They're more likely to cast you off here. So..are there gay country singers? Possibly. More than likely. But they are so deep in the closet and so protective of their image, I doubt they even touch their own dick.

by Anonymousreply 189May 17, 2016 7:27 PM

NG2 here. I agree with NG1. You'll find way more openly gay folks in the country music industry behind the scenes - and believe me, they are here. I'll also add that most artist have teams around them that do a good job protecting them.

About Chesney - I've met him a few times and have a friend who is a part of his business team. I can't get any dirt from my friend on him. What I can tell you is, Kenny is very paranoid and insecure. Not sure where that comes from, but I know it to be true. He's very careful what products to indorse and use in his tours. He wants to maintain a specific image. You have probably heard about his love for the islands. I know he's had a house or two somewhere down there. Maybe St. John's? Anyway, I was at my friend's place one day and saw several pictures of Kenny and a bunch of hot guys at his beach house together. Nothing sexual about the pictures. Looked like a bunch of frat guys drinking and partying. Odd that there were no girls in the group of pictures I saw. I mentioned it to my friend and he said something like "oh, there are others with girls. Just not these." Take that as you want.

by Anonymousreply 190May 17, 2016 7:41 PM

Willie Nelson?

Hank Williams, Jr.?

Jessi Colter?

by Anonymousreply 191May 17, 2016 9:30 PM

I used to love Paulette Carlson's voice from Highway 101...she left the band and seemed to disappear....what happened ?

by Anonymousreply 192May 17, 2016 9:35 PM

I'm not a big country music fan, but I really liked that kid named Blaine Larsen from a few years back. I bought his first CD and loved it so much I bought copies for others. His second CD was good as well. He has released a CD in a loooong time, although a few songs have come out. One called "Good Ol' Boy" is stuck in my head about once a week - I don't think it's been officially released.

Anyway, what I don't get is why he didn't become a big star. He's good looking, blond, got a nice looking blond wife, very Christian, has a great and deep country voice. Seems to me he's exactly the type to be huge.

Anyone know anything about what happened?

by Anonymousreply 193May 17, 2016 9:57 PM

NG1 here. I honestly think Chesney is straight. I've been around him many times, and I get no gay vibe from him at all. I've also seen him hit on girls, and it seems genuine. He might flirt with guys, but it's more just to be the focus of attention than anything else; it never feels sexual. Also, he dated a friend of mine's assistant for a while, and she is an unknown. If he were looking for beards, wouldn't they be more visible? People might think he is gay because he's little and muscular -- or at least used to be muscular; he gets in shape for tours and photo shoots, and lets it slide in between -- but I think he really is straight. He is also NOT good looking in person. He photographs very well.

by Anonymousreply 194May 17, 2016 10:00 PM

Dolly Parton was not big news and was a fringe act in the 70s? LOL Eighteen top ten hits. Nine of them number one. Nine top ten albums. Three of them number one. Nominated every single year for a CMA. Winning three times. Nominated every single year for a Grammy winning three times. I'm not even really a Dolly fan but come on....

by Anonymousreply 195May 17, 2016 10:10 PM

Cma gay, R184, more info if you have it about Merle, Mikey and Bobby. Didn't Bobby like the bottle? Was Merle touring most of the time?

by Anonymousreply 196May 17, 2016 10:33 PM

Merle was on the road most of the time and this was when he was married to Leona Williams, who was a singer also. I knew his son, Noel during this time - he spent summers with Merle and we were near the same age.

The rumour that was whispered about town during Johnny Cash's pill days - he was not opposed to receiving a blow job from young male singer/songwriters. A limo driver who drove Cash around gave me an eye witness account of several young men going down on the "Man in Black".

Mickey was a very kind man who enjoyed drinking, smoking and entertaining the likes of Townes Van Zandt, Guy Clark on his houseboat in Hendersonville. He was a very committed family man who married Susan two weeks after meeting her. She was a devout Mormon and former Miss Oregon, who would not sleep with him or anyone prior to marriage. So, he married her and remained in love with her until his early death from emphysema. They eventually fled the drug and drinking scene to Susan's home state of Oregon where he was baptised a Mormon. A great, great man with a big heart who mentored a lot of young songwriters.

Bobby Bare did love the bottle. His drinking became a huge problem after the death of his oldest daughter - Cari at 15 years old. I knew her and she was quite beautiful - favoured her mother. Tragedy struck when she died while giving birth to Angela after hiding her pregnancy from EVERYONE - this was in 1975 and abortion was not common in Tennessee. Bobby and Jeannie raised Angela, their granddaughter as their daughter. The neighborhood was devastated and Jeannie took to the bottle as well. Angela was the spitting image of Cari.

by Anonymousreply 197May 18, 2016 2:10 AM

Thank you, r197. More if you have it. Didn't Willie live there or was he in Goodlettsville?

My sister lived in Nashville for years. She talks about going to the Ryman for free pre-Opry (basically rehearsals). During those days you could get back stage and see/shake hands with Opry regulars. Anyone know anything about this?

by Anonymousreply 198May 18, 2016 3:56 AM

What about Whisperin' Bill Anderson? My late aunt always thought he "pinged" even though she never heard that term.

by Anonymousreply 199May 18, 2016 4:16 AM

That's funny R199. I have an irrational dislike for him. I didn't think he pinged as much as I thought he was a perv.

by Anonymousreply 200May 18, 2016 6:34 AM

What about Wanda Jackson?

by Anonymousreply 201May 18, 2016 5:11 PM

[quote] Some this insider stuff should be taken with. Grain of salt as its not even legit. Every single George Strait song that is released goes straight #1. He is still the King of Country Music

Tell that to his last several singles!

by Anonymousreply 202May 18, 2016 5:44 PM

R201, Wanda Jackson was more respected in L.A. back in the 70's then Dolly ever was. Someone upthread didn't understand my point--that Dolly was considered more of a novelty, fringe act in L.A.. She was never that popular, and I don't think she is now in L.A.. Telling people you love Dolly Parton to people in L.A.. is like telling them you love Boxcar Willie or Grandpa Jones. It's still considered weird.

Wanda Jackson inspired the L.A. rockabilly scene at that time and was a huge influence on Rosie Flores, our hometown girl.

by Anonymousreply 203May 18, 2016 8:42 PM

Well damn, R203, for some reason this is important to you. There will always be Dolly fans and Wanda fans and some people who don't like either of them. Just as L.A. people don't appreciate Dolly, many in the rest of the world don't have any idea who Wanda was/is. Ain't no big deal.

by Anonymousreply 204May 18, 2016 10:13 PM

R201 - I believe Wanda Jackson was Elvis' girlfriend before he went into the army.

by Anonymousreply 205May 18, 2016 10:21 PM

What about the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band?

by Anonymousreply 206May 18, 2016 11:19 PM

I don't think Chesney is gay. I use to. But it seems that when in the room with gay men he comes across as a straight, insecure frat boy. He is not that great looking in pictures R194. But when he muscled and slimed down he looked better. But he can't be more than 5'6". Because he is a product, he really comes off as anyone real. Most of them suffer from that. Merle was real. Cash was real. Patsy was real. These country porn stars are all products. You can be closeted in that world but it is like being closeted in the NFL.

by Anonymousreply 207May 19, 2016 12:32 AM

The Lynns - Nights Like These (Video)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208May 19, 2016 7:22 PM

CMT was never TNN. TNN was a separate network that went out of business long ago.

by Anonymousreply 209May 19, 2016 7:53 PM

I highly suspected Chesney was straight back during his divorce saga. Tim and Faith were being interviewed on some show and the interviewer brought up Chesney's marriage problems and Tim laughed and said "oh we just thought he must be gay", and Faith laughed. I knew then if Chesney was gay they never would have said that. But you can see Kenny's huge amount of insecurity and paranoia any time he's being interviewed. He looks as nervous as a cat eating briars. It's as if he's scared someone's going to jump out at any second and slap him.

Every picture I've ever seen of Darryl Worley shows him with a HUGE basket. His jockey shorts pictures in playgirl display the VPL of a very thick, but not very long cock with a HUGE head on it.

Rhett Akins was devastatingly hot back in the day. Even now, with his "healthier" physique, he's still a hottie. His son Thomas Rhett is a hottie too. Phil Vassar is also one hot piece IMO, and usually shows a quite ample horn o' plenty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210May 19, 2016 8:18 PM

well you can't bring it up and not post the pic

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211May 19, 2016 8:27 PM

Dolly was maybe more part of the insider scene in LA than you credit.

An example being how Lee Grant describes Dolly rejecting the insistent advances of Warren Beatty post Shampoo filming at a Hollywood party.

Dolly was certainly established in the NY gay clique by then - she knew Lily Tomlin, Fran Lebowitz and the extended coterie by the mid-70s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212May 19, 2016 9:51 PM

Darryl Worley should have played Tarzan.

by Anonymousreply 213May 19, 2016 11:23 PM

Does anyone on here think that Miley Cyrus could have been a good country singer? I felt that if she had never done Hanna Montana, she could have been an awesome country singer.

by Anonymousreply 214May 20, 2016 10:15 PM

She would have been a great country singer, 214. Have you heard the song she sang with her dad, Ready, Set, Don't Go? That was the first time I ever heard her sing, and I thought she was brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 215May 20, 2016 11:09 PM

Based on the size of that bulge Darryl Worley has some big mule corralled down there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216May 21, 2016 12:37 AM

But IMO none of them can come even close to the pure animal magnetism of Tim McGraw. I want him in me, deeply!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217May 21, 2016 12:39 AM

Yee Haw!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218May 21, 2016 12:40 AM

Darryl Worley is sex on a stick. It seems to me that male singers in the 90's and early 2000's were better looking than the ones today; not as plastic and more masculine. They weren't redneck frat boys. Once a medium becomes all about looks it loses its art.

by Anonymousreply 219May 21, 2016 6:45 PM

Isn't Tim a midget? I think he looks gross. Too much diet and exercise. He traded one addiction for another.

by Anonymousreply 220May 21, 2016 7:19 PM

Who is stronger: Trace Adkins or Toby Keith? For consuming only beer, Blake Shelton looks surprisingly fit.

by Anonymousreply 221May 21, 2016 8:59 PM

How did Brothers Osboune's video for Stay a Little Longer go over in Nashville? In sure the same sex couples kissing pissed off a few people. Clearly it's a gay song. It is gender non-specific and seems to describe the scene in Shelter where the guys tear off their tshirts. Since Shane wrote the music for the movie Shelter, it seems to fit. The new song 21 Summer is getting lots of AirPlay on The Highway on SiriusXM.

by Anonymousreply 222May 21, 2016 9:47 PM

I hadn't heard "Stay a Little Longer" -- I long ago stopped listening to country music -- but damn that's a good song. I suspect people here in Nashville will view the same sex couple for what it is: an attempt to be edgy and hip and cool, as was the interracial couple and the girls with the tattoos.

by Anonymousreply 223May 22, 2016 6:26 PM

Another hit song written by Shane McAnally. I love the guy's writing. For some reason much of his stuff shoots an arrow right into my heart.

by Anonymousreply 224May 22, 2016 11:59 PM

"I suspect people here in Nashville will view the same sex couple for what it is: an attempt to be edgy and hip and cool, as was the interracial couple and the girls with the tattoos."

Gotta love the attempt to put down gay friendly people. If they put gay couples in their video, they are just trying to be hip. But if they ignored gays, you'd hate them for that, too, so.....

by Anonymousreply 225May 23, 2016 12:43 AM

Good point, 225. R223 here. You called me on it. I think I would have thought the inclusion of a same-sex couple were more sincere if they hadn't also included the girl with all the tattoos, and the interracial couple. I know it can be a little cynical when it comes to popular culture, but it seemed to me that they were trying a little too hard to be edgy and hip and cool, and to create something that would generate some controversy in the hopes that it would lead to popularity. I'm all for inclusion of same-sex couples in popular culture -- and applaud those who include them -- but this time is just seemed gimmicky.

by Anonymousreply 226May 23, 2016 2:55 PM

[quote]Isn't Tim a midget

Some sources say 5' 10" and some say 6' even.

by Anonymousreply 227May 23, 2016 3:50 PM

Is Justin Moore a midget?

by Anonymousreply 228May 23, 2016 11:20 PM

NG1 here.. I've seen Justin Moore. he didn't strike me as being particularly short. He is better looking in person than photos, too.

by Anonymousreply 229May 24, 2016 3:50 AM

Anybody got dirt on John Rich ? For some reason his voice just makes me tingle in my naughty bits !

by Anonymousreply 230May 24, 2016 3:56 AM

NG1 here. John Rich? You should be ashamed of yourself. He's a fucking right wing dickhead. He has a huge, new house on one of the coolest streets in Nashville -- Love Circle -- and there's a sign on the gate that says something to the effect of "I'm going to shoot anyone who trespasses, which is my constitutional right." I want to scream, No , you fucking idiot, the right to bear arms is in the second amendment of the constitution, not the right to shoot someone, but try arguing with an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 231May 24, 2016 12:58 PM

PS -- Rich's house is incredible, though. I love modern architecture, and it's a good example of it.

by Anonymousreply 232May 24, 2016 12:59 PM

Isn't John Rich's partner in Big & Rich, Big Kenny, supposed to be the polar opposite to him - very liberal?

by Anonymousreply 233May 24, 2016 2:23 PM

Yes, and very nice.

by Anonymousreply 234May 24, 2016 3:59 PM

I found John Rich's house on Google Maps. What a fucking monstrosity! The name on the gate says "MT. RICHMORE". Classless pig bastard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235May 24, 2016 11:22 PM

Justin Moore's online bio claims he's 5'7". But I've seen him in groups of guys and he looks elfan. But he's a 5'7" of hot IMO.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236May 24, 2016 11:28 PM

Sorry , R231 , what can I say ? The heart wants what the heart wants . Something in his voice just appeals to me , plus I think hes hot .

by Anonymousreply 237May 25, 2016 3:10 AM

NG1 here. I'm a huge fan of modern architecture, and I love Rich's house. It's out of keeping with the location -- a quiet street of smaller, older houses with a spectacular view of downtown -- but it really is incredible. It's shame it's owned by a douchebag.

by Anonymousreply 238May 25, 2016 5:03 PM

Whatever happened to Montgomery Gentry? You never seem to hear anything about them anymore. Did that asshole Troy Gentry's guilty plea & conviction for lying about killing a "wild" bear (it was actually a caged bear named Cubby) do their big time career in?

by Anonymousreply 239May 26, 2016 12:14 PM

NG1, I love modern architecture too. But that house is nothing more than a big white box with few to no windows on the street side. I hope it looks better from the side not facing the street. I'm betting the neighbors hate that thing. All the other houses on that street look like typical 50's/60's construction.

by Anonymousreply 240May 26, 2016 12:16 PM

I loved Tracy Byrd back in the day. I read that he got out of the music business in 2009 and lives in Beaumont, Tx. where he and his wife own a kitchen appliance store. He's said "if" he gets back into the music business it won't by until his two sons are grown.

From all I've read and heard about the country music business it doesn't seem like it's an industry meant for the weak willed. It's every bit as dirty as the rest of the entertainment industry.

by Anonymousreply 241May 26, 2016 12:26 PM

"Dick In Dixie"

Well some say I'm not country and that's just fine with me 'Cause I don't wanna be country with some faggot looking over at me They say that I'm ill-mannered that I'm gonna self-destruct But if you know what I'm thinkin' you'll know that pop country really sucks

So I'm here to put the "dick" in Dixie and the "cunt" back in country 'Cause the kind of country I hear now days is a bunch of fuckin' shit to me They say that I'm ill-mannered that I'm gonna self-destruct But if you know what I'm thinkin' you'll know that pop country really sucks

Well we're losing all the outlaws that had to stand their ground and they're being replaced by these kids from a manufactured town And they don't have no idea about sorrow and woe 'Cause they're all just too damn busy kissin' ass on Music Row

So I'm here to put the "dick" in Dixie and the "cunt" back in country 'Cause the kind of country I hear nowdays is a bunch of fuckin' shit to me And they say that I'm ill-mannered that I'm gonna self-destruct But if you know what I'm thinkin' you'll know that pop country really sucks

And if you know what I'm thinkin' you'll know that pop country really sucks

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242May 26, 2016 7:59 PM

[quote]Why does country music seem to chew them up and then spit them out in much greater numbers than other genres? I'm not just talking one hit wonders.

Isn't that the way pop music used to be before the music industry decided that they'd just pick a couple of artists and hang on to them for dear life? Also before producers took over and autotune so that they could make anyone into a star they wanted to. Before that record companies went through just as many acts always looking for a fresh sound, voice or face. Now only a select few get long careers.

by Anonymousreply 243May 26, 2016 8:13 PM

r 206 Some "dirt" on the NGDB - in the late 1980's and early 1990's, Bernie Leadon (original founder of the Eagles) was dating singer/songwriter, Matraca Berg and had it bad for her. He played guitar on one or two of her albums and they were critically acclaimed. Unfortunately, he was also married at the time and his wife (now ex) would not divorce him - their marriage had not hit the magic 10-year milestone, where in CA she would receive half of everything. She (ex Mrs. Leadon) is a real piece of work to this day and is involved with Joseph Perrulli, who dated Nicole Brown Simpson. Matraca wanted to be Mrs. Bernie Leadon, but did not want to wait for his divorce to happen and the first Mrs. Leadon was not going down without $$$$$. Enter Jeff Hanna of the NGDB, who fell madly in love with Matraca and pissed off the mercurial Leadon. Hanna and Berg have been married since 1993. Leadon then left the NGDB in a huff. Interesting factoid - Leadon and Hanna were in a band called "The Corvettes" prior to NGDB and the Eagles. The Corvettes were produced by former Monkee, Mike Neismith and toured with Linda Ronstadt.

by Anonymousreply 244May 26, 2016 10:31 PM

Thanks for the dirt, CMA Gay.

by Anonymousreply 245May 26, 2016 10:38 PM

I love Matreca Berg...her singing never amounted to much though. At least she can put food on the table with her writing. Another nearly was that I LOVED was Bobbie Cryner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246May 26, 2016 10:44 PM

I forgot to mention that Leadon and Hanna were in the NGDB and touring during this "little Peyton Place" with Matraca.

by Anonymousreply 247May 26, 2016 11:08 PM

I guess Leadon's gotten over it now. Here he is being interviewed with Jeff Hanna last December (Hanna's holding the mic.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248May 27, 2016 1:05 AM

Backstage at MCR was very awkward as all three were present. Matraca had been drinking wine and still looked at Leadon glowingly in front of Hanna. I witnessed this interaction. It was a tribute to John McEuen, who at one time was married to Hanna's first wife's sister - Mormons, of course.

by Anonymousreply 249May 27, 2016 1:30 AM

NG1 here. BOBBIE CRYNER! I love her. I used to write with her, a lot. She is a wonderful wonderful person. I haven't seen or talked to her in a million years, though. She was such a wonderful writer and performer. I wish she had a bigger career, but she came out at the wrong time.

by Anonymousreply 250May 27, 2016 1:44 AM

Bobbie is really good. I used to play her first CD to death. Daddy Lady the Blues on Me and He Feels Guilty to Me Leaving Houston Blues.....LOVE her.

by Anonymousreply 251May 27, 2016 1:48 AM

Another example of chewing them up and spitting them out. Jo Dee Messina hit after hit then nothing. My Give a Dam is Busted is great....but she was everywhere...then gone.

by Anonymousreply 252May 27, 2016 1:50 AM

Yeah the nashville boys are a little defensive and disingenuous about how country music spits people out. It is not just a matter of not getting radio play or a TV spot. They are ejected to county fairs and $2000 bus travel gigs. That does not happen in pop music so fast and hard. The audience is larger, there are many medium size venues in good cities and probably equal appreciation for past accomplishment. They also are given more chance to open for others even after a fall from the top. The music industry is the most heartless one in show business, but country music seems to take a bit more pleasure in discarding wonderful talents. DJ's seem to enjoy this as much as producers. Though men fall prey to this as much as the women, the chicks are dumped most harshly. Sorry but it's true. There is no chance for a comeback in country music and that is not true in pop music. Once they no longer care about you, PTB in Nashville longer help you in any way. The list of great female singers of the last 30 years who have disappeared is longer than I can think of. Their talent didn't disappear but with Patti Loveless, Lorrie Morgan, kd Lang, Sara Evans and Kathy Mattea it was something more personal and sexist that arrested their careers. Mary CC and Rosanne Cash will always be okay because they don't even like that top of the mountain shit. Changing trends took them off the boards but they are real musicians with good bands and management that understands their fan base and how to properly present them. Tanya Tucker was allowed to be a drunk slut on tv for a long time because that is country tradition. Lorrie Morgan spread herself a bit too thin. The ladies with different politics, progressive lifestyles and strong feminist values lose favor shortly after word gets out. See Dixie Chicks, the lesbians, democrats and sexually free women. 90% of those MIA are more interesting and more broadly talented than Reba or Martina. I liked Reba when she could sing. That bitch must know where some bodies are buried to be invited to perform at every event and remain so close to the podium long past her viability as a recording interest. She's the Stevie Wonder of country music. We love you but please don't sing. Oh, yeah but you'll sing it anyway...No, not Martina too. So long story short I listen to classic country radio and pay attention to who's new for a few months.

by Anonymousreply 253May 27, 2016 2:40 AM

NG1 here. I agree that country music discards acts fairly quickly, but I don't think they do it more than pop. I think it might appear that way because almost every country act that gets released gets at least SOME airplay and a small degree of fame; it is rare that a country act comes out and does...nothing. Pop, however, releases albums by act after act after act. They probably relate 20 acts for every one that country introduces. Most of them are never heard of and from, and are dropped before you even knew they were signed. That doesn't happen in country; they don't sign as many acts, and every one has at least some activity. Because of that, you're at least familiar with the country act, but I really don't think that labels and radio dismisses them at a greater rate than pop.

You make a good point about country music not allowing comebacks. I hadn't thought about it, but it's true. Once you're yesterday's news, you're...yesterday's news. They really don't give acts a second chance. I think everyone is more excited about the what might be than the what once was, which could also explain the dearth of classic country radio.

by Anonymousreply 254May 27, 2016 4:40 AM

I'd been trying to think of Bobbie Cryner's name - she could sing AND write good songs. But of course she disappeared. I always hope that people like that are getting some royalties or something.

by Anonymousreply 255May 27, 2016 5:25 AM

NG1, in your opinion, are the country music powers more in tune with what country music is rather than, say, 30 or 40 years ago? I remember the old guard seemed to try to Opryify the music when the listeners wanted anything that didn't sound like Roy Acuff.

by Anonymousreply 256May 27, 2016 6:15 AM

Say what you want about the Grand Ole Opry but it is admirably loyal to the old hasbeens who are fortunate enough to be members. Without the Opry, artists like Connie Smith will not be heard from.

by Anonymousreply 257May 27, 2016 3:14 PM

It's too bad that Chely Wright can't even be played on country radio anymore because she came out to the public and announced she was gay. She lost plenty of her fan base behind it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258May 27, 2016 3:38 PM

NG1 here. R255. Bobbie is an incredible writer. I used to love writing with her. I don't know if she's still writing, but I tend to doubt it. And, regrettably, I assure you that she gets no royalties whatsoever. If anything, maybe just a few hundred a year. She was signed to a few publishers -- first Acuff Rose, and then King Lizard, which was owned at the time by Liz Rose, who made a fortune co-writing with Taylor Swift, and who is one of the writers on "Girl Crush" -- so they would get most of the money before she recoups, and I doubt she will recoup. It is a shame that someone as gifted as Bobbie didn't have a bigger career. She is a wonderful person, and your bringing her up is making me miss her.

by Anonymousreply 259May 27, 2016 4:16 PM

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 260May 27, 2016 5:32 PM

NG1 here. R258. Chelly Wright's career was LONG over when she came out. She didn't get dropped by radio because of that; she had been dropped long before, and her label had dropped her as well. As much as you want to believe it, it really had nothing to do with her being gay. For some reason, lesbians have always been more accepted here than gay men. There are a lot of gay women -- always has been -- and no one seems to mind. Although Chelly had some big songs, she just didn't connect with the country radio audience. She was given a lot of chances, but she never really got any traction. I suspect her coming out was an attempt to get publicity for her book and independent record.

by Anonymousreply 261May 27, 2016 5:39 PM

I agree with you, NG1.

by Anonymousreply 262May 27, 2016 5:43 PM

That's very true, R257. The times I went to the Opry it was the old warhorses I wanted to see. Classic songs and performers.

by Anonymousreply 263May 27, 2016 7:08 PM

"I suspect her coming out was an attempt to get publicity for her book and independent record."

Yeah, coming out is such a great way to get attention, that's why so many country stars are out like, um.....and, uh........

by Anonymousreply 264May 28, 2016 1:20 AM

r264 -- Chelly Wright had nothing to lose. She had no fan base, no career, so she wasn't risking anything to come out the way any current gay act does. Plus, her book discussed her being gay in the country market, so she was about to out herself anyway.

by Anonymousreply 265May 28, 2016 4:58 AM

Chely Wright came out because her career was over and it got her more publicity than she ever had before. She was someone you wanted to like. Pretty, seemed like a nice woman, had a good voice, but there was just no spark there. I really tried to like her. She wound up singing one song I liked and that was Shut Up and Drive. She had one top ten album and on single that made it to the top ten. It was the number one song Single White Female. That was it.

It's not like the disappearing of Joe Dee Messina. Jo Dee had like three number one albums and I think about ten number one singles. It was four or five right in row... 16 top ten singles. Her song Bring on the Rain with Tim McGraw was one of the best selling singles of all time. Her last single hit number one and then she was gone. She the biggest case of just disappearing to me.

by Anonymousreply 266May 28, 2016 5:32 AM

Oh yeah and I'm so glad that others besides me have a fond thought for Bobbie Cryner. Was she as pretty in person as she was photogenic?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267May 28, 2016 5:35 AM

NG1 here. Bobbie was pretty in person, but not like in photos. The camera loved her, and she looks sexy and otherworldly in photos. Granted, I only saw her when we wrote at her house, or in the studio when we recorded demos, and she was always just wearing sweats and no makeup. I never saw her "out on the town," so maybe she glammed up for that. She is very funny and joyful, and you would almost suspect that someone who wrote such heartfelt, sad songs wouldn't be that cheerful in person.

Oh, and here might be some gossip. I think one of the reasons she might not have had a bigger career is because of her manager. At the time of her second album, she was managed by the same guy who manages George Strait, and both of them were signed to MCA. Bobbie had an affair with her manager's sister's husband, who left her for Bobbie. That pissed everyone off, and certainly led to her manager not furthering her career, and to problems with the label, where, at the time, Strait was their biggest act.

That said, even with the best management support, I wonder if she would ever have been successful. Her writing is a little too subtle and sophisticated for country radio, even in the best of times. I love the song "You'd Think He'd Know Me Better," but it paints the woman as insensitive and cruel. It's incredible honest, but country audiences prefer their singers to be wronged, and not to be the one who does someone wrong, unless they're contrite and on their knees begging for forgiveness. I think she would have found a more sympathetic audience in the cabaret world, where her brand of elegance and heartbreak would have been more welcome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268May 28, 2016 2:27 PM

another almost was I loved was Stacy Dean Campbell. His first CD was perfection from start to finish. I really thought he was going to the top.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269May 28, 2016 7:07 PM

[quote]or some reason, lesbians have always been more accepted here than gay men.

That's an easy one. Country music is run predominately by straight men and most all straight men love the idea of 2 women bumping pussies, especially if they're attractive lezzies. It's the same reason why straight women in general are much more accepting of gay men bumping cocks. They get turned on by it just like straight men get turned on by the lesbos.

by Anonymousreply 270May 28, 2016 8:34 PM

Forgot to add. Men like women having sex with each other because they understand the attraction. It's the same attraction to pussy they have themselves. And that goes for women and gay men as well.

by Anonymousreply 271May 28, 2016 8:41 PM

Why did Billy Ray Cyrus's career fall off?

by Anonymousreply 272May 29, 2016 11:17 PM

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 273June 2, 2016 7:45 PM

SHEDaisy?

Lee Ann Womack?

by Anonymousreply 274June 3, 2016 5:30 PM

Bryan White?

by Anonymousreply 275June 3, 2016 7:40 PM

NG1 here. I always thought Bryan White was gay, but a friend of mine was his room mate long ago when he was just getting started, and swears that he is straight. It's entirely possible that White is gay and just hid it from his room mates, though.

by Anonymousreply 276June 3, 2016 11:12 PM

NG1,

Is Bryan White retired from the business?

by Anonymousreply 277June 3, 2016 11:20 PM

I don't know. He could still be performing and recording, but I haven't heard or seen anything. Bryan White was great. I remember hearing him for the first time at a radio seminar/convention, when artists looking to get airplay performed for groups of radio programmers in hotel rooms at the Opryland. He blew me away. (The radio seminar no longer operates like that ; now, instead of intimate concerts in hotel rooms, they put on big showy concerts with multiple performers.)

by Anonymousreply 278June 4, 2016 2:40 AM

Shelby Lynne Interview

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279June 4, 2016 12:02 PM

Shelby always looks like she just came off of a three day bender.

by Anonymousreply 280June 4, 2016 2:49 PM

Exactly, r280.

by Anonymousreply 281June 4, 2016 3:32 PM

Jo Dee Messina went to rehab over a decade ago. Her drinking had gotten out of control.

by Anonymousreply 282June 4, 2016 6:11 PM

This is from his bio on Bryan White's website (link below). Looks like he's back in the game, to some degree.

[quote}White took some time off to get away from the craziness of the music business and to start a family. “After a decade of building my career and being on the road so much, I was spent, mentally and physically,” he says. “I knew, I needed to get away and take some time to breathe and do some of the other things I had always dreamed of.” He did just that by marrying the beautiful actress Erika Page (One Life to Live/Days of Our Lives) and bringing sons Justin and Jackson into the world. When asked how his life has changed during his break from the industry, White responds, “I found my true identity, not only as an artist and a songwriter, but as a human being. I realize now that life is an incredible gift and it’s meant to be lived on purpose and outwardly. Music is a gift and a great vehicle but it’s really about what happens beyond the music for me. What kind of legacy did I leave as a husband, as a father, and a friend?”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 283June 4, 2016 10:19 PM

Bryan White is aging quite nicely.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284June 4, 2016 10:21 PM

I was wondering what happened to Shelby Lynne

by Anonymousreply 285June 5, 2016 12:14 AM

Allison Moorer Interview

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 286June 5, 2016 11:28 AM

Could John Michael Monthomery ever sing live or was he a studio creation? I heard him sing live a few years ago and he was terrible.

by Anonymousreply 287June 5, 2016 1:48 PM

I like the fact that Shania Twain has raised her son out of the spotlight especially when she was going through her divorce from Mutt Lang. She handled it with class.

by Anonymousreply 288June 5, 2016 6:40 PM

Anything on Travis Tritt?

by Anonymousreply 289June 5, 2016 10:23 PM

Probably a few cold sores.

by Anonymousreply 290June 6, 2016 3:26 AM

Travis does seem dirty doesn't he?

by Anonymousreply 291June 6, 2016 3:29 AM

he sucks their pussy juice

by Anonymousreply 292June 6, 2016 3:31 AM

NG3 here.

by Anonymousreply 293June 6, 2016 3:34 PM

NG2 here - I saw Bryan White and his family at a restaurant recently. He looked pretty happy in the husband/dad role. He was in that stupid Nashville Wives show. I heard he was a big diva during shooting, but nothing about being gay. Yes, he still looks very good.

by Anonymousreply 294June 6, 2016 4:48 PM

What about Trick Pony?

by Anonymousreply 295June 6, 2016 5:01 PM

NG1. Why does someone keep asking about Trick Pony? The never were that good or that successful. One of the guys -- Ira -- has had a few songs recorded, but none have been big hits. The other guy -- something or other Burns -- was in a duo for a while with Michelle Poe called Burns and Poe. They never took off. And Heidi had a solo career that also never took off. They just weren't that special, and no different from a million other bands that had a few hits and disappeared. What is it about them that makes you interested? there is nothing there, and nothing to learn.

by Anonymousreply 296June 6, 2016 6:45 PM

I was just asking, NG1. Please don't shoot me.

by Anonymousreply 297June 6, 2016 8:34 PM

John and Audrey Wiggins- he was so hot. I talked with a guy years ago on AOL who told me that Bryan White was straight. He was the Kenny Chesney of his day. He told me that a young Rick Trevino, Rhett Akins, and Tim McGraw placed both sides of the streets. Always thought that Lonestar , much like Rascal Flatts, always felt a little gay- meaning those boys aren't strangers to homosexual encounters.

by Anonymousreply 298June 6, 2016 10:55 PM

Requires a picture!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 299June 6, 2016 11:01 PM

NG1. I didn't mean to be short with you, R297. and I'm sorry about that. It just really surprises me sometimes what acts people are interested in, and, for the life of me, can't figure out why. My apologies.

by Anonymousreply 300June 6, 2016 11:13 PM

Ya gotta admit, NG1, their name was pretty spot-on. Talk about your (One) Trick Pony . . .

by Anonymousreply 301June 7, 2016 4:44 AM

yes, I'm definitely gonna buy case/lang/veirs album! I love KD lang.

by Anonymousreply 302June 7, 2016 5:22 AM

Darius Rucker Discusses Race and Country Music

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 303June 7, 2016 9:52 PM

I am black. I have loved country since I was a four year old. Charley Pride is the Jackie Robinson of country music. Darius Rucker is the Clarence Thomas of it. Charley Pride's story would make an excellent film. Rucker filmed videos where white people dramatized the theme of the video- and there were no other people of color. If he wanted to honor the country music he so boldly loves then he should sing better and with better songs. He adds nothing to country music. He is an opportunist at best. Country doesn't even sell him as a sex symbol like the other frat boy singers. Charley Pride was a sexy man with an excellent voice. Pity he hasn't made a record in later years like Willie, and Loretta and Porter.

by Anonymousreply 304June 8, 2016 8:04 PM

I agree, r304.

by Anonymousreply 305June 8, 2016 8:25 PM

NG1 here. Good post, 304. I agree. I always thought that Rucker was a carpetbagger, and I'm surprised he's done as well as he's done. I don't see the appeal, other than maybe people are still mourning Hootie's breakup. And I was surprised that he addressed race in that video, because, as you said, he always avoids it in his songs and videos.

by Anonymousreply 306June 9, 2016 4:03 AM

Darius Rucker Reveals Story Behind Hootie and the Blowfish Line in Notorious B.I.G.’s “Mo Money Mo Problems”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 307June 9, 2016 5:03 PM

What about Hank Williams, Jr.?

by Anonymousreply 308June 9, 2016 7:12 PM

[quote] What about Hank Williams, Jr.?

What about him?

by Anonymousreply 309June 9, 2016 7:22 PM

He's a horrible freeper

by Anonymousreply 310June 9, 2016 7:51 PM

Thanks for the info about Hank Williams, Jr., r310

by Anonymousreply 311June 9, 2016 9:01 PM

What about Allison Krauss?

by Anonymousreply 312June 11, 2016 1:51 PM

What about her?

by Anonymousreply 313June 11, 2016 4:09 PM

She did a collaboration project with Robert Plant a few years ago, r313.

by Anonymousreply 314June 11, 2016 4:31 PM

Is Plant still with Patty Griffin? I hear conflicting statements.

Alison is awesome. I wish she would tour more. It's been a few years, but her son must be close to graduating high school. Maybe Union Station will return to the road once he is off to college. When I first started seeing Alison and Union Station years ago I was always amazed by their talent. Alison also had a wicked sense of humor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 315June 11, 2016 5:42 PM

God, I love Alison Krauss and Union Station - talk about talent that doesn't reach the American public. Her voice is so freaking pure, Jerry Douglas is no slouch either.... combined with the other musicians, AK & US deserve to be at the top of the charts.

I just checked my checked my CD collection and realized that I won 5 of their CDs. Damn,

by Anonymousreply 316June 11, 2016 8:50 PM

What I love about Allison is that she has no clue about her voice. She doesn't thing she's a great singer, doesn't understand why people like to hear her, and never wanted to be a singer. It was a case of we can't afford a fiddle player and a singer......much like another favorite singer of mine....Diana Krall...we can't afford a piano player and a singer so if you want the gig ....

by Anonymousreply 317June 11, 2016 9:31 PM

Patty Loveless?

by Anonymousreply 318June 11, 2016 10:31 PM

NG1 here. I know the engineer who has worked on many of Allison Krauss' records. I love how natural and unforced her voice sounds. He said that is partly because she barely whispers when she sings, and they have the volume tuned up high to catch her voice. Her voice is beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 319June 12, 2016 4:05 AM

Any info on country singer Connie Smith?

by Anonymousreply 320June 12, 2016 11:25 AM

Connie Smith is married to Marty Stuart.

by Anonymousreply 321June 12, 2016 3:02 PM

Thanks, r321.

by Anonymousreply 322June 12, 2016 3:38 PM

What was the gossip on Eddie Rabbitt? I know that he's been dead since the late 1990's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 323June 15, 2016 8:16 PM

I love a rainy night

by Anonymousreply 324June 16, 2016 1:01 AM

The story about how Rabbitt was too ill to appear at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo back in the 80s was b.s. He was so wasted he couldn't do it. Enter an unknown named George Strait....

by Anonymousreply 325June 16, 2016 1:43 AM

R 319 take a listen to Alison's first couple of records -- she was singing in her "real" voice then. Her current whispery, throaty, style, while lovely, isn't natural and has lead to a few bouts of vocal rest and forced time off the road. And while she can be charming, she can also be, shall we say, difficult. That second album with Robert Plant will never see the light of day, she drove him nuts in the studio.

by Anonymousreply 326June 16, 2016 3:40 AM

R326 - totally agree about the change in her voice. The link is to Steel Rails, recorded when she was 17 or 18. A much stronger voice at that point. The new voice definitely appeared in the 90s. Both styles are amazing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327June 16, 2016 3:51 AM

These threads have been very entertaining!

I don't really listen to country music these days, other than Kacey Musgraves and some Miranda. Even back when I was really into it--in you guessed it, the 90s--I only really liked the female singers. Even with "classic" country, it's the Dolly-Loretta-Tammy stuff that I love.

This discussion has reminded of so many great songs/albums that I own somewhere and need to go re-listen to! Pam Tillis, Trisha, Lorrie, Patty, Mary Chapin, Suzy Boggus, etc...

Suzy Boggus is playing a free show in my town in a few weeks. I think I might go. The only song of hers that I currently have on my iPod is the excellent "Outbound Plane" but I looked her up and memories came flooding back of her other hits.

I met Pam Tillis a few years ago in the Memphis airport. No one knew who she was and she was just hanging out waiting for a plane like everyone else. We wound up standing next to each other in line and I told her that I was a big fan of her music. She was very flattered and extremely sweet.

ANYWAY--NG, how about Carlene Carter? She had a few good hits/songs. Any stories about her? Does she get along with Roseanne Cash? (who I saw in concert last year--she was great.)

by Anonymousreply 328June 16, 2016 6:53 PM

Was it Carlene Carter who said (with Johnny and June in the audience), " I'm gonna put the cunt back in country?"

by Anonymousreply 329June 16, 2016 8:48 PM

What about Juice Newton?

by Anonymousreply 330June 16, 2016 9:14 PM

Bump!

by Anonymousreply 331June 16, 2016 10:53 PM

The late June Carter Cash's daughters were Carlene Carter and the late Rosey Nix.

Of CC and RN, Rosanne Cash in 2005 told No Depression:

"Both of her daughters have done horrible, unspeakable things to me and tithe entire family . . ."

So, no, doesn't exactly sound like a love fest, R328 . . .

by Anonymousreply 332June 17, 2016 5:39 AM

^^^

"to the," of course, and not "tithe." Stupid AutoCorrect!

by Anonymousreply 333June 17, 2016 5:43 AM

NG1 here. I listened to that clip of vintage Alison Krauss. I had forgotten how different her voice was when she first started out than it is now. And I never realized how much she sounded like Nanci Griffith. (Hey, the Suzzy Boggus fan: Nanci Griffith wrote "Outbound Plane" and her version is a million time better than Suzzy's. If you don't know Nanci, check her out. She is the best, although her last few cd;s have been terrible. Her early stuff is peerless.)

I haven't heard any stories about Carlene Carter, because she was gone from the scene long before I got here, and despite her pedigree, I don't think she ever was considered part of the country world. She was married to Nick Lowe for a while, and lived in London.

by Anonymousreply 334June 17, 2016 2:16 PM

Carlene Carter sings one of my all time favorite songs. Too Bad About Sandy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 335June 17, 2016 2:21 PM

Hey NG1, r238 here. I think I did know that "Outbound Plane" was a Nanci Griffith song. I remember really liking Nanci's song, "This Heart", but I probably should check out more of her work. A friend of mine worked in Nashville music scene for a while, and she told me Nanci was a pretty notorious drunk around town. Is that true?

by Anonymousreply 336June 17, 2016 5:17 PM

R136. Yes, sadly it is true. And she isn't the nicest person you're going to meet. Her early music is incredible, and is worth checking out. It;s a shame she never became as successful as she should have become, and I think she holds some bitterness because of that.

by Anonymousreply 337June 17, 2016 6:49 PM

I am a fan of Nanci Griffith. I agree R334 her early work is peerless. I have seen her three times in concert. I like the depth added by knowing she is a major drinker.

by Anonymousreply 338June 17, 2016 7:14 PM

An unknown Lyle Lovett was her backup singer who stole the spotlight away from Griffith in her Austin City Limits show. She was also a protege of the revered songwriter, Harlan Howard. His birthday bashes the second week in September were a boozefest loaded with amazingly, talented songwriters and singers who would perform.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 339June 17, 2016 8:30 PM

Has Gretchen Wilson been missing in action?

by Anonymousreply 340June 17, 2016 9:24 PM

At times the critics are pretty nasty. I grew up in the northeast and never heard a bad thing about Nanci. Here is a rather critical piece, but some of the points are valid. The only thing I seem to remember is there was an issue with Ashley MacIsaac during a tour with the Chieftains. Now I need to search for the letters Nanci wrote to the various Texas papers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 341June 18, 2016 12:32 AM

Here is a positive review of Nanci Griffith that focuses more on the songs than the drama.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 342June 18, 2016 12:35 AM

Nancy is nice but Patty Griffin is the genre denying singer songwriter, cover artist, beautiful composer and unique voice singer of magical dark songs of lyrical beauty and power. Is she even a Nashville artist? They sure love to sing her songs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 343June 18, 2016 1:03 AM

NG1 here. Wow. That's a pretty scathing article about Nanci G. I think she's incredibly gifted, but I also can see the bad side of her; she does seem pretentious and a but like a poseur. I'm willing to overlook that because her first few albums are so incredibly amazing. I remember reading an interview with her years ago, and she bitterly complained about Tracy Chapman's success, saying that Nanci should be playing big theaters, not Chapman. Bitter , much? Then, again, if I had the kind of talent she has and had the same lack of success, I would be bitter too. Ive been her in concert about 20 times, and they are amongst the 20 best concerts I've ever seen.

Patty Griffin is not a Nashville artist. She's from Maine, and started in the folk scene in Boston. She moved to Nashville for a very brief time, where she recorded her first two albums, them moved to Austin, where , I believe she still lives. I see her around some, but I don't think she spends that much time here. She and Robert Plant live together -- or at least used to, I don't know if they still do -- which seems like the strangest couples. I've met Plant many many times, and he is the world's biggest ass.

by Anonymousreply 344June 18, 2016 4:04 AM

To NG1

Thank you for mentioning to us about Robert Plant. I always thought he was an ass. He thought his crap didn't stink. I wouldn't be surprised if Patty Griffin kicked him to the curb.

Like you have said on here before is Country music is where any artist can be forgotten or be pushed to the side at any time. Dang, that sucks.

by Anonymousreply 345June 18, 2016 10:02 AM

Outbound Plane is actually a cowrite. The great storyteller Tom Russell had a hand in it and he sings it well. Talking with him about it (and hearing him sing it often) led me to believe that one was more his than hers, but who knows. (I'm not the Nashville ex-writer who started this thread)

by Anonymousreply 346June 19, 2016 5:35 AM

Oh, and Patty and Robert split up more than a year ago.

by Anonymousreply 347June 19, 2016 5:37 AM

Suzy Bogguss is incredible. My favorite of hers is Drive South. I also love You Wouldn't Say that to a Stranger. One of the truest and raw songs ever. Helped me see my way out of an abusive relationship.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 348June 19, 2016 5:38 AM

I remember when Hey Cinderella and Letting Go were on the radio every five minutes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 349June 19, 2016 5:41 AM

Iris DeMent is everything Nanci Griffith thinks she is.

by Anonymousreply 350June 19, 2016 6:09 AM

Why did Carlene Carter and Nick Lowe get a divorce in the first place? Was there infidelity involved?

by Anonymousreply 351June 19, 2016 12:36 PM

R350 - Iris DeMent, OMG her voice is grating. It is probably the big reason she never broke through even though her management was able to get one of her songs featured on Northern Exposure. Her she is singing her signature song. It looks like she is wearing my gram's nightgown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 352June 19, 2016 12:50 PM

I can't imagine sitting through a whole Iris DeMent concert.

by Anonymousreply 353June 19, 2016 1:25 PM

Dean Dillon, Matraca Berg & Jeff Hanna Interviewed at the 2014 Key West Songwriters Fest

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 354June 19, 2016 4:21 PM

NG1 here. Speaking of Suzzy Boggus, here is one of my favorites of hers, and one of my favorite country songs. I became estranged from my best friend (straight) after he got married a few years ago -- I don't know why he's cut me off as he has; perhaps his wife just didn't like me -- and I think of this song whenever he comes to mind, especially the lines "it's like the end of an era/ like a scene in a rearview mirror/ I thought I got past it/but I'm looking right at it again, saying goodbye to a friend." Another friend -- a great writer, Angela Kasset -- is the cowriter of this. It's a stunner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 355June 19, 2016 8:47 PM

Suzy's album with Chet Atkins is great.

by Anonymousreply 356June 19, 2016 8:57 PM

Suzy does a great show with Gretchen Peters and a revolving cast that includes either Matraca, Eliza Gilkyson, or Mary Gauthier in the third seat. They take it to the UK once ot twice a year, but it's hitting US & Canadian clubs & festivals this summer, too.

by Anonymousreply 357June 20, 2016 1:00 AM

Gretchen Peters is a doll, and her child is transgendered. I've known her (now) since he was a kid, and I never saw it coming. I haven't seen him since he's transitioned, but I applaud Gretchen for always being a vocal proponent of gay and t rights.

by Anonymousreply 358June 20, 2016 3:21 AM

What do you guys think of Dustin Lynch?

by Anonymousreply 359June 22, 2016 4:24 PM

NG1 here. What do I think of Dustin Lynch? He's what I don't like about country music. Is there anything interesting or different about him at all? He's just a fairly good-looking guy, with a passable voice, who sings songs that have nothing to do with anything real or anything that interests me. I don't give a shit about trucks or drinking or getting the girl with the sundress and having a hell of a night. It's corporate music, at its most mediocre. That said, I'd probably fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 360June 23, 2016 2:41 AM

R360 - sometimes you just feel like hearing fun mindless songs. On a hot summer day, it is fun to put the top down on my Jeep and blast Drunk on a Plane. Today I was listening to a playlist of Buffett songs. Some songs such as Twelve Volt Man and Savannah Fare You Well are pretty serious while Autour du Rocher and Pascagoula Run are just mindless fun. Gulf and Western is a valid genre and it is a travesty that Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefer Band aren't in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Kenny Chesney, Zac Brown and probably Thomas Rhett are best at continuing this tradition. It is and isn't country. It makes a shitload of money.

by Anonymousreply 361June 23, 2016 3:34 AM

Seriously? The RNRHOF for the dweeb who gave us "Last Mango In Paris"?

The Archies deserve it more than he does.

by Anonymousreply 362June 23, 2016 3:42 AM

NG1 here. It is surprising that Buffet isn't in the hall of fame. I don't have any first-hand experience, but I've heard from many that he is ass without peer. I've been around him, and been in elevators with him, and I didn't see him kick any dogs or anything, but people dislike him. I wonder if that has kept him out? And, yes, it is fun to sometimes listen to mindless music on occasion, but, damn, not that crap. Drunk on a Plane is heads above most of the other crap. It actually has a slightly different, original take on a situation, instead of just singing about trucks and all that. I know the writer of Drunk. He's very successful, and a great guy. I'm happy for his success.

And -- the Arches sort of ARE in the Hall of Fame. They are Don Kirchner's invention -- as is the Monkees -- and he's been inducted. He is also the man responsible for Carole King's career. It's easy to make fun of him because of his awful Solid Gold appearances, but he is a music legend, and is loved by most everyone who worked with him.

by Anonymousreply 363June 23, 2016 3:48 AM

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 364June 24, 2016 7:42 PM

While I do agree that The Archies are deserving of acclaim, Buffett has some good "serious" material. COME MONDAY is a good one, as is FRENCHMAN FOR THE NIGHT. Songs like that tend to get lost in the crowd of party songs he has. Much like Luke Bryan's better stuff.

by Anonymousreply 365June 25, 2016 1:29 AM

Here's an odd oldy but goody. Probably way before anyone's time. Any stories on Sammi Smith? Like most I only knew Help Me Make it Through the Night. When she died not too long ago I started sampling her stuff and came away absolutely loving her. I wonder if she would have had a bigger career if they had marketed her as the hard scrabble girl she was. Instead of trying to put dresses and big wigs on her. Here's my favorite that she does...Saunders Ferry Lane.

She had a very unique, sad voice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 366June 25, 2016 1:41 AM

Sammi's version of Sunday Morning Coming Down. Takes on a whole new meaning when sung by a woman. It sounds even more desperate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 367June 25, 2016 1:45 AM

NG1 here. I didn't know much about Sammi Smith, and hadn't heard her version of Sunday Morning Coming Down. It is wonderful. I hate to sound like a crotchety old guy, but, damn, they just don't make them like the any more. Thanks for posting.

by Anonymousreply 368June 25, 2016 2:50 AM

I haven't read the original thread so apologies if this has been covered, NG1 are you not originally from the U.S.? A couple of words and turns of phrase you've used make me think you may be my fellow countryman.

by Anonymousreply 369June 25, 2016 3:58 AM

That's kind of my point, R365. It's no stretch that you can mention The Archies, Jimmy Buffett and Little Lukey Bryan, all in the same breath.

Just my two cents, but I think Buffett is single-handedly responsible for the scourge that is "Bro Country." E-freaking-nough, already.

by Anonymousreply 370June 25, 2016 4:24 AM

That Dustin Lynch person has gay face for DAAAAAAAYYYYYYSSSSS

by Anonymousreply 371June 25, 2016 12:20 PM

What about Lynn Anderson? She passed away some time ago.

by Anonymousreply 372June 25, 2016 2:24 PM

Lynn Anderson was gangsta when gangsta wasn't cool.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 373June 25, 2016 4:31 PM

NG1 here. I am from the US, to answer the questions. Where did you think I might be from?

by Anonymousreply 374June 25, 2016 6:21 PM

Jimmy Buffett is a great writer -- but he hasn't written a great song in decades. His early albums are full of wonderful stories & he has a great eye & ear for talent (marshall chapman still gets a cut on every record). But he hasn't had anyone saying "no" to him in 30 years and it shows. Contrast that to Neil Diamond -- 40 -plus years into his career, he had the guts to go in the studio, cut a dozen new songs with Rick Rubin and got great reviews for it.

by Anonymousreply 375June 26, 2016 4:01 AM

Big call I know, but Rick Rubin may well be the single most influential person in music in the last couple of decades, particularly in the US.

by Anonymousreply 376June 26, 2016 5:01 AM

Which country artists wear wigs?

by Anonymousreply 377June 26, 2016 10:12 AM

Any gossip on Ronnie Millsap?

by Anonymousreply 378June 26, 2016 1:00 PM

Or as my mother called him, Ron Milssaps.

by Anonymousreply 379June 26, 2016 5:37 PM

Who's this guy in the Toby Keith " Whiskey Girl" video?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 380June 26, 2016 11:46 PM

He looks like a pretty generic model/actor to me. I'm not sure I've seen in in anything before or since. I wonder if it was shot in Nashville or LA.

by Anonymousreply 381June 27, 2016 9:30 PM

What is the gossip on Crystal Gayle?

by Anonymousreply 382June 29, 2016 11:15 PM

NG1 here. There is no gossip on Crystal Gayle. I see her around some, have seen her in concert a few times. She had a great career. Talking in Your Sleep is one of the best songs, ever, in any genre. She used to own a gift shop that sold expensive tacky stuff in Belle Meade, but it closed about five years ago. She must live a clean and quiet life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 383June 30, 2016 12:24 AM

I was in love with Crystal Gayle when I was a little boy. I love her song " But When I Dream" and the duel you did with Eddie Rabbit. But her best work is the work she did with Tom Waits. They had a unique musical chemistry. I wished they had continued making music together.

by Anonymousreply 384June 30, 2016 7:33 PM

Thank you, NG1.

by Anonymousreply 385June 30, 2016 7:42 PM

Nashville guys what do you know about Easton Corbin secretly getting a divorce ?

by Anonymousreply 386June 30, 2016 11:47 PM

Crystal Gayle was so ego free and SO LAID BACK about her success that it's easy to forget just how successful she was. Seventeen number one singles. Five of them right in a row. That's just in country music. She was a huge crossover hit too. Here's Crystal when she was but a baby. Before she wished her twang away.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 387July 1, 2016 12:34 AM

Crystal Gayle had a congested sounding voice with a pronounced vibrato that was not wide enough to be a disaster, but not fast enough to make her country strong. She had nice phrase endings, long before you heard melisma or pop ornamentation in country music. The songs you mention are good country songs I guess, but she was pretty lame. Pretty and lame. Tom Waits does give her some cred though. "Talking in Your Sleep", really? Anne Murray might have made something better of that.

Brown Eyes Blue and When I Dream are her best songs. The first has the great bluesy piano intro and her smooth vocal and the second was a silly halting ballad that she delivered in a pretty way.

by Anonymousreply 388July 1, 2016 12:45 AM

Fuck you Loretta.

by Anonymousreply 389July 1, 2016 12:46 AM

Any gossip on Garth Brooks?

by Anonymousreply 390July 2, 2016 9:46 PM

Yeah he likes big cock and paid lots of money for it.

by Anonymousreply 391July 2, 2016 10:11 PM

Is Cole Swindell gay?

by Anonymousreply 392July 2, 2016 10:19 PM

NG1 here. I don't know anything about Cole. I've never met him. I think he's a musical lightweight, though, and wouldn't have a career if if he weren't a friend of Luke Bryan's. (Luke, by the way, is straight, but totally openminded. I used to write with him, and he is a lot kinder and mellower than his frat boy persona would lead you to believe. It's an act, and a successful one. His manager is a wonderful woman, and I'm happy for their success.)

by Anonymousreply 393July 4, 2016 3:07 AM

Know which Crystal Gayle hit I liked best?

"Why You Have The Left Me One You For Me The Have Left You Why Me One The Why Left Have For, Me For."

by Anonymousreply 394July 4, 2016 3:25 AM

I like Crystal's 'Til I Can Gain Control Again.

by Anonymousreply 395July 4, 2016 3:52 AM

I mostly only know Crystal Gayle's crossover hits. Had no idea she had 17 number 1 country hits.

by Anonymousreply 396July 4, 2016 4:08 AM

34 top ten singles too.

by Anonymousreply 397July 4, 2016 4:10 AM

And one TV show theme LOL no telling how much she made off of that .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 398July 4, 2016 4:12 AM

You can catch a glimpse of a fatter more juvenile looking Cole Swindell in the video " We Rode in Trucks".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 399July 4, 2016 5:03 PM

R395:

Meh. Nowhere near as good as Emmylou's.

by Anonymousreply 400July 4, 2016 8:38 PM

NG1 here. We Rode in Trucks? What a complete piece of insincere, dishonest shit. Let's mention mama. Check. Beer. Check. A backwood road that sounds "authentic". In this case, Buck Allen Road, check. Trucks. check. Football. Check. Farms. Check. Dirt roads. Check. This is by the numbers writing, pure and simple. Cliche after cliche. I don't mean to offend anyone who likes this shit, but, really, who likes this shit? And why?!? I stopped enjoying country music a number of years ago. I didn't have that kind of backwards upbringing, and don't want to celebrate it. I don't know why people are so intent on celebrating ignorance, drunkenness, and...trucks.

by Anonymousreply 401July 4, 2016 9:00 PM

Ah was drunk th' day mah Mom got outta prison,

An' Ah went to pick 'er up in th' rain.

But before Ah could git to th' station in mah pickup truck,

She got runned over bah a damned ol' train!

by Anonymousreply 402July 4, 2016 9:12 PM

NG1 here. Goodman was great. "City of New Orleans", anyone. This is my favorite of his, and, although I know it's maudlin and treacly, I'm still moved by it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 403July 4, 2016 10:22 PM

Cole Swindell definitely knows how to pack those jeans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 404July 4, 2016 11:28 PM

R404 That tee-shirt ironically explains his whole career. R401 I agree with you about the song. Country is more an illusion today than a statement about any real life. And drinking -instead of being a form of depression- is the way to be in order to enjoy yourself and your friends- no real feelings or understanding. The bonds are all childish and linked to sexist images and frat boy manners.

by Anonymousreply 405July 5, 2016 4:10 PM

NG2 here - I was around Cole back in December and I didn't get any gay vibe from him at all. Like NG1 said, he's good friends with Luke. I laughed about the "ride in trucks" song. I agree. Fluff. Sad to say the quality of some of the songs on the radio right now are not what they were just a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 406July 5, 2016 5:16 PM

In a thread where insiders defended Taylor Swift it's a bit odd that Cole would be raked over the coals.

by Anonymousreply 407July 5, 2016 5:24 PM

NG1 here. Swift has real talent, whether you like her or not. She is a gifted writer, capable of writing songs with real emotion weight, when she wants to. I'm not a fan of her pop stuff, but it still shows signs of brilliance and a real life. Cole and his ilk? What talent do they possess? I don't see anything that would indicate a major label should spend millions recording and promoting him.

by Anonymousreply 408July 5, 2016 6:16 PM

NG1- Taylor Swift is here because of daddy's money and connections. She used social media to gain popularity. And writing songs about bisexual / gay boys you dated for a few months is not talent or real life anymore than drinkings and trucks are. She and Cole are in the same group. The only smart thing she did was to start calling her music what it was all along: pop. Country was pimping her out because there was a high profit margin. That is a low point for country music. And years from now her songs will be forgotten just like Cole 's. And N2 is there a gay vibe you can quickly get from a performer. For me I would look for signs. Not a vibe.

by Anonymousreply 409July 6, 2016 5:42 PM

Everyone listen up. R409, aka the spokesperson for all gay people, has spoken. Bow down bitches, we done been put in our places.

by Anonymousreply 410July 6, 2016 6:15 PM

Most of mainstream country these days is just hair metal with a twang. No coincidence, as a lot of the people behind the rock scenes in the 80s/90s have moved on to Nashville (Dann Huff, Mutt Lange) even some of the artists have tried to reinvent themselves (Bret Michaels, Ron Keel, Mitch Malloy, the new Steven Tyler record). There's very little of it I like, but as a former hard rock/metalhead, there's usually a song or two I can like from just about anyone (they're so interchangeable these days -- it truly is about the song and not the singer/band).

I do love Texas country, though (Wade Bowen, Kevin Fowler, Randy Rogers, William Clark Green) and the ladies are doing a hell of a job in alt/indie country (Lindi Ortega, Nikki Lane, etc).

by Anonymousreply 411July 6, 2016 6:48 PM

NG1 here. Don't be ignorant, 409. Yes, her dad's money certainly helped make it easier for Swift to do what she wanted to do, but money is no guarantee of success. She was on RCA before she was signed to Big Machine, and they dropped her. Daddy's money didn't help her there, did it? I've known countless artists who've tried to break into the business with tons of money being them, and it just didn't make a difference. And she used social media? So? It is available to every single person out there. If you can't see that Swift has a real honest-to-goodness gift, it will be futile for me or anyone to try to tell you otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 412July 6, 2016 8:32 PM

NG1. Who are the wig wearers in country music?

by Anonymousreply 413July 6, 2016 8:36 PM

NG1 I am not being ignorant to believe that she didn't pay her dues in clubs and on the road. Nor is she start writing songs by herself but with Liz Rose. Dolly, Loretta, and Tammy all wrote on their own. Her songs are teenage break up songs. No one past the age of eighteen should be immature enough to connect with that music. But mainly she can't sing. Therefore I can't feel if she is authentic or auto-tuned. And her use of social media is not bad thing, but if her talent were enough she wouldn't have to pander and manipulate her fans to come hear and buy her music. I don't need Bruce Springsteen twitter with me to listen to his music. Why grown people think she is talented strikes me as a bit obtuse- especially when you could name five better singer/songwriter who are female who will never get a real chance. The bar for talent is so low these days. To me she is the male version of Thomas Rhett. Listen to Tami Neilson or Margo Price. There is gold in those hills, untapped but extremely rewarding. And that's just my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 414July 6, 2016 9:02 PM

R409/414--Tiffany, about to start her shift at The Waffle House.

by Anonymousreply 415July 7, 2016 3:31 AM

Huh? "Tiffany at the Waffle House" is exactly the kind of person who would LOVE Taylor Swift. Maybe you live in a world where her fans are all midde-aged intellectuals, but that as hell isn't the world I'm living in.

by Anonymousreply 416July 8, 2016 12:53 AM

What about George Straitt?

by Anonymousreply 417July 10, 2016 10:55 PM

It's THE TIFFANY, bitch! Of I THINK WE'RE ALONE NOW! Don't be acting like you don't know who I am!

by Anonymousreply 418July 11, 2016 5:52 AM

Does anyone one here read the saving country music blog or country perspective blog or country universe blog?

by Anonymousreply 419July 14, 2016 2:08 AM

There are more than 400 replies in this thread and presumably more than 600 in the original so forgive me for not reading them first but that's a lot of postings.

Have you already discussed the wild and unpleasant coke-fuelled world of Faith Hill and Tim McGraw? She's worse than he is.

by Anonymousreply 420July 14, 2016 3:14 AM

The fraus at work were very upset about that country singer's 19 year old son drowning a few days ago..but they all admitted they didn't know who "Craig Morgan" is when I asked.

by Anonymousreply 421July 14, 2016 4:16 AM

Craig Morgan is a member of the Grand Ole Orpy, seven top ten hits,a number one record.

by Anonymousreply 422July 14, 2016 9:26 PM

The craziest, most unbelievable rumor I've heard that I believe is Faith Hill and Martina McBride doing the girl sex.

by Anonymousreply 423July 14, 2016 10:11 PM

As a long term couple....Faith and Martina that is.

by Anonymousreply 424July 14, 2016 10:11 PM

Can we leave fantasy country for a minute and ask the Taylor Swift fans what they think of her prior move with Kanye West? ( who is personally repugnant to me). And why are all these old country guys like Mark Wills and Ty Heredon going to Christian music, or was their toe always in that water ? And were there ever closet country songwriters? Do you know any? And who wouldn't surprise you if they came out?

by Anonymousreply 425July 20, 2016 11:06 PM

Any gossip on Jake Owen or Sam Hunt?

by Anonymousreply 426July 21, 2016 6:41 AM

I can tell you everything you'd want to know about Mike Hunt.

by Anonymousreply 427July 21, 2016 9:05 AM

NG1 here. I don't know if Herndon is still active in Christian music. I know he released a Christian cd, but it might have been a one-off. I think it's an odd road for him to pursue, given that he's out. But to answer your question: they do it because they can. It's pretty easy to be noticed in the christian field, and some people will buy any christian music, and they already have a name going into it, so their guaranteed some publicity.

As for Taylor Swift and Kanye. I don't think anyone here spends much time thinking about that stuff. At least I don't. It's all pr and marketing. Was it staged? is it real? Personally, I really don't give a fuck. I like Swift's music. Her personal life is of no interest to me.

by Anonymousreply 428July 21, 2016 5:34 PM

NG1 here again -- Re the Taylor/Kanye "feud"... People who work in the music and film industries are around famous people all the time. And when you are, you just stop seeing them as anyone worthy of any more attention than the neighbor. Yes, we might talk about Swift's new cd, and how many copies it sold, or Miranda's new music, etc, but no one in the industry really gossips about their lives. We just don't care. Those who are starstruck and curious about such things generally don't stay in the industries for long.

by Anonymousreply 429July 22, 2016 12:34 AM

In other words, celebrity's shit stinks just like everyone elses.

by Anonymousreply 430July 23, 2016 5:49 PM

Except Sam Hunt's. His smells like roses and daffodils.

by Anonymousreply 431July 23, 2016 6:47 PM

What do you Nashville know and think of Chris Young and Brett Eldredge? Young has a great voice. What about Brantley Gilbert?

by Anonymousreply 432July 28, 2016 12:00 AM

NG1 here. I don't know much about any of them, r432. Brantley looks like some white trash guy who lives in a trailer park in Florida, and fixes motorcycles. And his music is far from country. I don't know what his appeal is.

by Anonymousreply 433July 28, 2016 2:16 AM

We took a trip back to the hometown, giving us plenty of radio time. We listened to Willie's Roadhouse roundtrip. If you haven't caught it, it's country music from the 50s to mid 60s. We heard some very good old songs, many I had forgotten, but also heard some that were really terrible. Well, there were some we thought were terrible. Others might enjoy them. Is anyone else a fan of this show?

by Anonymousreply 434July 28, 2016 10:26 PM

Brantley Gilbert's trashy look works for me. I've never heard his music, though.

by Anonymousreply 435July 28, 2016 11:08 PM

Nashville Guys who wouldn't surprise you if they came out of the country closet? Is true that Buck Owens was gay?

by Anonymousreply 436August 11, 2016 10:25 PM

NG1 here. Sam Hunt, although I have not heard one single rumor. Perhaps he's just metrosexual, or has an opinionated stylist, but some of his clothes are just a little too aware for a straight guy. And I would be in line to fuck him. I think he's hot as hell.

by Anonymousreply 437August 13, 2016 5:37 PM

What about the Forrester Sisters?

by Anonymousreply 438August 14, 2016 10:20 PM

No, I doubt NG1 would be in line to fuck the Forrester Sisters, R438 . . .

by Anonymousreply 439August 15, 2016 10:11 PM

NG1 here. Of course I'm family. And why do people just post things like "what about the xxxx." What ABOUT them? What do you want to know? Are they good? Are they active? Do they still record? If you want a question answered, ask a real question.

by Anonymousreply 440August 16, 2016 4:37 PM

Here is a real question: what happened to Aaron Tippin. I heard him on the radio and wondered what happened to him. Good voice

by Anonymousreply 441August 16, 2016 9:45 PM

NG1. Tippin had a good run. He started getting older, and started to sing more and more novelty songs, which, almost always, leads to a career decline. It happened to Joe Diffie --who had an incredible voice -- and Tracy Byrd, and countless others. Novelty songs might get you a quick chart record, but they almost always make radio think you're a disposable artist.

That said, Tippin did have a long career, but he just didn't have what it takes to sustain it much longer than that. Few do. It shouldn't surprise anyone that acts they love have short careers. That is the norm. It always has been, and always will be for those other than the very fortunate few.

by Anonymousreply 442August 16, 2016 9:57 PM

NG1 - agree with you about the novelty songs. Maybe the only place they work still is in Western swing. I'm thinking something like "Old Flames have New Names" by Mark Chestnutt.

It seems country radio is becoming more rock. Telecasters, especially those with b benders, are hard to find on any recent tracks. Most bands such as Chesney and Church's backup bands have switched to Les Pauls for that more distorted rock sound. Very few bands are touring with pedal steel guitarists and you don't hear it often on new songs. If you see mandolins outside of bluegrass, you can be sure a guitarist is playing it like rhythm guitar. Gone are the days of hearing Sam Bush or Ricky Skaggs playing mandolin solos on country radio hits.

Thomas Rhett's new CD is really top 40, yet it is considered a huge country hit.

by Anonymousreply 443August 16, 2016 10:30 PM

Would love to get me some Thomas Rhett. Oddly found his father hot in his heyday. I think his music is pop-lite as he doesn't have the chops of a Bruno Mars. But both father and son are horrible songwriters.

by Anonymousreply 444August 16, 2016 11:10 PM

Anything new from the Nashville guys? Interesting thread.

by Anonymousreply 445November 16, 2016 10:32 PM

Yes what did you guys think of the CMA Awards?

by Anonymousreply 446November 17, 2016 6:45 PM

I didn't watch it. I really don't care about the music anymore.

by Anonymousreply 447November 18, 2016 1:26 PM

Nashville guys any info on Thomas Rhett who has changed his style both musically and fashion wise?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 448November 18, 2016 2:38 PM

I wished that the country music industry did not abandon the pedal steel guitars from the country format.

by Anonymousreply 449November 19, 2016 7:13 PM

Why is Luke Bryan hitting people at concerts? You Nashville guys claimed he isn't the image he projects but he seems to be.

by Anonymousreply 450December 13, 2016 7:02 PM

Any gossip on Marty Stuart other than he's a big drunk?

by Anonymousreply 451December 13, 2016 7:14 PM

I don't know the full story about Luke hitting the guy in concert. Maybe he just had enough of what the guy was doing -- apparently, he was being obnoxious -- and decided to take matters into his own hands? Luke is a nice guy, but even nice guys have a breaking point.

by Anonymousreply 452December 13, 2016 7:24 PM

NG1 it is never right for the singer to hit someone during a concert unless they have to for self- defense purposes. Luke can still be a nice guy and wrong. And from the video he was just being taunted- he needs a thicker skin.

by Anonymousreply 453January 11, 2017 8:02 PM

anyone know if any country stars were asked to perform at Trump's inauguration?

by Anonymousreply 454January 12, 2017 3:14 AM

Im sure EVERYONE was asked to perform. I would assume that Toby Keith was asked, but he -- despite his jingoist songs -- is actually a Democrat. It just shows the universal hatred of Trump that no one will perform for him.

If he is so reviled, doesn't it make you wonder if the ballots were rigged? Even though he won almost half of the vote, it seems that no one is happy is going to be president. Something is wrong here.

by Anonymousreply 455January 12, 2017 9:09 PM

Any dirt on Wynona and that crazy momma of hers?

by Anonymousreply 456January 12, 2017 11:59 PM

What about Cody Alan over at CMT Radio?

by Anonymousreply 457January 13, 2017 1:41 AM

How can anyone ignore Swift's personal life? It's part and parcel of her "brand," along with fodder for her songs.

by Anonymousreply 458January 13, 2017 3:44 AM

BUMP

by Anonymousreply 459February 5, 2017 8:05 AM

NG1 here. If you want to know about Wynonna and her crazy mom, read Gerry House's book "Country music broke my brain." Gerry is a Nashville DJ, and is hysterically funny. The book, however, isn't that well-written or funny, but it IS very illuminating about the Judds. He is very polite and discreet about most of the people he talks about, but lets it rip about the Judds. He bars no holds when criticizing Naomi.'s controlling and crazy nature, which makes you believe that she is uncontrollably crazy. None of the anecdotes will hold up well out of context; rather, it is the accumulation of how outrageous she makes you realize how appalling she is.

by Anonymousreply 460February 5, 2017 5:51 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 461February 18, 2017 4:26 PM

What has happened to Tanya Tucker?

by Anonymousreply 462February 24, 2017 10:59 PM

I've read a bit on the Judds. Naomi, Wy and that other one (the actress) all live on the same piece of land near Nashville, but rarely if ever see each other. According to Wyona when she does see her mother there's a whole process that has to be accomplished before the meeting is taken. It's as if they're old business associates who still work together but hate each other's guts and have absolutely no trust in each other. Strangely enough Wyona sounds like the most sane of the 3. She's been through hell with her new husband getting his leg ripped off in a motorcycle accident and getting him nursed back to health.

by Anonymousreply 463February 24, 2017 11:31 PM

Anyone have any more gay Dolly stories or gossip?

by Anonymousreply 464April 9, 2017 1:54 AM

How about everybody's new favorite Chris Stapleton? I don't know why he waited so long to cut an album This guy is fucking awesome. His cover of Was it 26? is a work of fucking art.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 465April 9, 2017 2:07 AM

And if I'm in the exact right mood is song Daddy Doesn't Pray Anymore can make me cry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 466April 9, 2017 2:09 AM

What about Blake Shelton? Is he an alcoholic? I don't get his relationship with Gwen baby. She has a reputation of being a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 467April 9, 2017 2:40 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 468April 9, 2017 11:47 PM

R465 Chris Stapleton wasn't sitting around - he'd been a part of The SteelDrivers, a great Nashville bluegrass band and wrote a bunch of hit songs for other artists. Everyone in the business knew who he was, but the powers that be in commercial country music thought he was too old & ugly to be a star. His first solo Mercury album wasn't even released because the label didn't smell a hit. The second ended up the biggest selling solo country album of the year - and with little or no promotion until a word of mouth buzz started happening. Musicians were his biggest fans - but the bean counters wanted more bro-country cuties on the charts. Talent won out in this case.

by Anonymousreply 469June 2, 2017 4:53 AM

Chris Stapleton got the country music career Steve Earle should've gotten 30 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 470June 2, 2017 5:06 AM

r470 Earle was too liberal, outspoken and addicted to have a country music career.

by Anonymousreply 471June 2, 2017 6:46 AM

At that point 30 years ago, Steve's biggest problem was heroin. I ran into him around 1990 and he probably weighed 125. Steve was usually pretty chunky, but there were times when he was as thin as a rail - probably from heroin.

His fight against capital punishment probably started in the early 90s. Billy Austin is one song that comes to mind. In fact, that CD, The Hard Way, didn't fit into country radio at all.

Steve deserves recognition for Guitar Town and Exit 0. Copperhead Road was more rock, but still had twang.

by Anonymousreply 472June 2, 2017 10:38 AM

Wow. I'd forgotten all about Steve. He was a favorite for a while but then one of those who just dropped of my radar.

by Anonymousreply 473June 2, 2017 12:27 PM

What about Blake?

by Anonymousreply 474June 3, 2017 3:40 AM

Come back to the DL, Nashville Guy, Nashville Guy

by Anonymousreply 475March 28, 2018 5:51 AM

Any info on Travis Denning Nashville Guy?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 476March 9, 2020 9:30 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!