Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

It's the 20th Anniversary of Yu-Gi-Oh! Let us reminisce...(and FYI DL geeks; the new movie just came out this Weekend)

Like the equally terrible and charming Super Sentai/Power Rangers (also from Toei Company), it's hard not to love this hot mess of a Franchise (except those spin-offs...). I will be watching the new movie as soon as a complete Sub comes out (or the English Dub, whichever happens first).

This time around, eternal rivals Yugi and Kaiba debut hot new designs, and the original VAs will return to voice them both. Sounds good...thanks, Nihon Ad Systems! Here's hoping 4K Media International acquire the US distribution rights to this Puppy, so the English Dub cast can return too. No-one but Eric Stuart can do that sexy beast Seto Kaiba justice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 15, 2019 9:58 AM

YU-GI-OH!: THE DARK SIDE OF DIMENSIONS was released in Japanese theaters for the first time this past Friday and Saturday (23/24.4.16), and will probably reach the US (in dubbed and heavily edited form) sometime around the Holidays this year, or failing that, New Years 2017.

It's been a long wait for fans wanting to see the original Duel Monsters Manga (comicbook) characters on-screen again. In fact, it's been over a decade since the release of the first feature-length movie, YU-GI-OH! PYRAMID OF LIGHT (2004), with all other Yu-Gi-Oh! anime since then focusing on new characters and worlds (such as the spin-offs Yu-Gi-Oh! GX, Zexal, 5D'S & Arc-V).

A franchise movie YU-GI-OH!: BONDS BEYOND TIME (2010) teased at a later return for the main protagonist, Yugi Moto (featuring him in a minor role), but there has been no further development with his character, until now...

THE DARK SIDE OF DIMENSIONS is eagerly anticipated as not only a return to a fan-favorite original cast and a storyline, but also as the first Yu-Gi-Oh! movie with screenplay and production overseen by the original creator Kazuki Takahashi. The man himself has even developed updated character designs and virtual tech for the world of Duel Monsters, as the story he wrote 20 years ago picks up where it left off in PYRAMID OF LIGHT.

So far, it is confirmed the film takes place a year after the conclusion to the series that started it all, YU-GI-OH! DUEL MONSTERS (2000). The characters are now in their graduating year of High School, and trying to settle into a normal life now their perilous adventures through time with the departed Pharaoh Atem are over. But, there's always something waiting to happen around the corner in Domino City...

From the Wiki:

[quote] KaibaCorp satellites circle the planet....the fully reconstructed Egyptian artefact, the Millennium Puzzle, has fallen into the hands of the CEO, Seto Kaiba....However, at the same time, on-going excavations at the site of it's discovery reveal that pieces of the Puzzle still remain in Egypt...but what can this mean for Yugi, former keeper of the Spirit of the Puzzle? The stakes have never been higher; the rivalries never as fierce; the risks never so great. One wrong move — one card short — and it’s game over...for good. It's time to Duel....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 25, 2016 10:48 PM

Looks like Kaiba invented his own Duel Monsters Google Glass, just for this movie. No idea what purpose that would serve but still, cool.

Sad part is, he will be getting his crazy technophilic ass kicked by an Egyptian God or something, irrespective. Gotta love literal Deus ex Machina.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2April 27, 2016 6:46 PM

Pegasus was the most Savage Gay on Toonami.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3May 5, 2016 5:52 PM

Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series (a YGO parody) is still going strong on YouTube. User LittleKuriboh just started making new episodes again after a long hiatus.

In the latest episode (released this week), hot biker stud Rafael, the only 'normal' character in YGO:TAS, features in a major capacity. Evil Yami makes a first appearance, and thankfully there's more great one-liners from clueless bisexual & sex-addicted prettyboy Duke Devlin (he's the one with the hot caddy and the skintight leather pants).

Why doesn't some US or Japanese company make a live-action of the original Yu-Gi-Oh? There would be gay guy (and teen girl) interest, if just for the eye-candy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 25, 2016 11:53 PM

You know, Yugi looks a lot like Hal Sparks in his stand-up days. Eyeliner...tight pants...nu-metal accessories. Also the stature, just-broken voice & the earnestness in those sparkly doe-eyes.

Come to mention it Kaiba is basically the anime Brian Kinney. They look alike (lean ghoulish brunettes) and their personalities both hinge on $$, CEO status and NPD.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5November 25, 2016 11:01 PM

Wow, in 8 weeks this thread will be 3 years old and YGO! will be 23. Hate to say it but it’s officially Old Millennial Junk now. I know the day is gonna come soon when one of my little cousins sits me down in front of one of the spin-offs and asks me if I know who Kaibaman is and I’ll be like🤭😭😭🤧”I have to leAVE”

I think I read somewhere on a blog that in the story canon Yugi Mutou originally completed the Millennium Puzzle as a teen in 1996 and that he graduated HS in 1999 (which is when DSOD happened). Weird that a franchise show so obsessed with technology and Y2K actually took place heavily in the ‘90s and the comicbook it was based on was mostly about Ancient Egypt anyway. You can sorta tell it’s a ‘90s thing from the styles and slang the characters have but only if you look for it.

by Anonymousreply 6February 28, 2019 9:09 PM

Loved this movie. It went DEEP with the lore plus we got to see Seto BSOD.

The tension between Atem & Kaiba..🤭

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7March 3, 2019 3:19 PM

R4 Martin/LK just finished abridging S04 'Waking the Dragons' Arc with E82. The finale is in a year or two..:( I'm gonna miss these characters more than I did the ones in the original sub/dub. What will we do without Yami puns? Or Kaiba rants? ("BLUE EYES!!") Or Tristan non-sequiters? Or Malik's clueless homosexuality?

Hope he gives bridging DSOD a shot but I believe he may not as he loved the movie, even in the dub. Plus it's so tragic it's probably too hard to make silly meme-based comedy out of it. If anyone can, though, it's LK.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 12, 2019 10:28 PM

Yami Yugi would always cheat. 'King of Games', my ass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 15, 2019 9:58 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!