Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

WHET Charlotte Church

She is the British kid the industry tried to promote as a prodigy opera singer just because she could sing high. Her handlers tried to have her give off the impression that she was a young sophisticate. She'd wear stylish outfits and say crazy things like, "I'm reading Proust now."

Then, she had a baby out of wedlock, believe.

SO what happened to her?

by Anonymousreply 31April 23, 2019 11:41 PM

She was apparently the best thing at Stewart Lee's ATP last weekend. As mentioned in the NME:

[quote]When you get a text stating ‘Charlotte Church is actually better than The Fall’ from one of your most devoutly indie friends, you know something interesting has just happened. And it turns out it did. Current concerns over the awkward future of the financially beleaguered ATP Festival aside, this weekend Charlotte Church apparently turned in one of the most downright entertaining sets at the Stewart Lee-curated edition of the festival, blowing the likes of Sleaford Mods and the aforementioned Fall off the stage.

[quote]Listed in the programme as Charlotte Church’s ‘Late Night Pop Dungeon’, it turns out that her set wasn’t just a run of the mill karaoke session of chart hits, but something much, much more fun. Nine Inch Nails’ ‘Closer’, Joy Division’s ‘Love Will Tear Us Apart’, Peggy Lee’s ‘Fever’, ‘Last Night A DJ Saved My Life’ and David Bowie’s ‘Girl Loves Me’ – that’s the one from his last album with the immortal lyric “where the fuck did Monday go” – all got the Church treatment, along with songs by Super Furry Animals.

[quote]She gulped from a big bottle of fizzy booze throughout, and wore a sequin-festooned circusmaster outfit that matched her backing group’s gear. “Her and her band were all dressed up like a proper post punk band,” commented My Indie Friend, “but the actual post-punk bands playing the festival were dressed like poor quality postmen.”

[quote]Another observation from My Indie Friend, who later found himself chatting to obscurist folk singer Richard Dawson: “Two people came up to and said ‘Erm, you know I told you that you’d been the highlight of the weekend, well, Charlotte Church just topped you’. Then I said, ‘Yeah, she did, sorry’ and he laughed a lot and grudgingly accepted it. He was right down the front when she was on anyway.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 20, 2016 6:52 PM

Charlotte has a phenomenal voice, but she got into lots of weird conspiracy theories and odd stuff like that.

by Anonymousreply 2April 20, 2016 6:57 PM

Ah, Charlotte...the girl who spawned the annoying trend of little girls pretending to be opera singers.

Truth is she was never an opera singer. She was a good mimc. Because she was young, she could sing high and loud and could mimic all the phrasing and affectations of an adult opera singer enough to fool a layman, but her technique was horrible and nonexistent. Her chin wobbled a like crazy, her breathe control was erratic and she pushed her tongue back hard to garner power (a common trick little girls do to make their voice sound bigger than it is).

By her late teens, all that vocal strain and damage took its toll and destroyed whatever voice she had.

Now she can't even mimic the fake opera voice anymore.

Last I heard she was trying to be a regular pop singer now that her singing range is super limited, but with little success.

by Anonymousreply 3August 28, 2016 5:31 AM

LOVED that time in the late '90s when she guested on Letterman, and said in that lilting voice of hers, quote:

"I used to be a belter like Whitney Houston, but then I took voice lessons, and I learned how to REALLY sing!"

by Anonymousreply 4August 28, 2016 5:40 AM

She blew out her vocal folds singing inappropriate rep with no training.

by Anonymousreply 5August 28, 2016 5:59 AM

I think she's just great!

by Anonymousreply 6August 28, 2016 6:14 AM

Any info on her? Has anyone actually met her?

by Anonymousreply 7January 31, 2017 4:58 PM

She's a fat, gobby chav.

Bless her heart.

by Anonymousreply 8January 31, 2017 5:30 PM

This Brit would have sung "The Star Spangled Banner" better than Jackie at Trump's inaugural.

by Anonymousreply 9January 31, 2017 6:35 PM

She was flat and tone deaf a LOT.

by Anonymousreply 10January 31, 2017 9:49 PM

She was like me only not as good and well, not as good

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 23, 2019 4:46 PM

She has a column in the Guardian. not kidding. Will look for a link.

by Anonymousreply 12April 23, 2019 4:54 PM

Guardian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13April 23, 2019 4:54 PM

she was HUGE in the UK for a few years. then she had your typical chav drama and i forgot she even existed

by Anonymousreply 14April 23, 2019 5:05 PM

R6,you're a hoot and a half! Mrs.Miller in deed.

by Anonymousreply 15April 23, 2019 5:14 PM

She was replaced by that Dirty Old Man bait Jackie Evancho. The little cunt with the forced voice who sang for Trump. Evancho 's handlers are not doing her a favor by encouraging her to sing with that voice, she's doing real damage .

by Anonymousreply 16April 23, 2019 7:06 PM

Forgot to add that Evancho 's sibling, Juliet , is transgender and suing the Trump administration. This dumbfuck family apparently didn't realize ahead of time that Trump would implement these policies. I guess they thought he would only go after "unimportant " minorities, not people like them .

by Anonymousreply 17April 23, 2019 7:12 PM

She became tabloid fodder in the UK. Had a mildly successful pop career but I always suspected she'd banked enough cash as a kid not to have to worry about money as an adult. She doesn't seem to be living in poverty, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 18April 23, 2019 7:18 PM

I seem to remember Tom Cruise having a weird thing for her? Is my dementia taking hold?

by Anonymousreply 19April 23, 2019 8:14 PM

Charlotte Church once appeared on The Catherine Tate Show and was told she had the "voice of an angel, liver of a wino" which kind of sums up Church's move from angelic child star to falling out of nightclubs.

by Anonymousreply 20April 23, 2019 8:30 PM

she fell outside and the pigs ate her.

by Anonymousreply 21April 23, 2019 8:36 PM

I suspect there are some nasty chav stage parents behind the sordidness. Didn't she have a kid or was somehow involved with a sexy Welsh rugby player.

I'll always think of her as "that mustachioed girl from the late 90s"

by Anonymousreply 22April 23, 2019 8:41 PM

I would laugh as her handlers tried to make her seem like some child prodigy. "I just finished reading War and Peace." and blah blah blah.

And then she got knocked up. Oops.

by Anonymousreply 23April 23, 2019 8:43 PM

WHy did they try to push her as an opera singer? She could just sing high notes. That does not an opera singer make

by Anonymousreply 24April 23, 2019 8:44 PM

Didn't she have a child out of wedlock? WHORE

by Anonymousreply 25April 23, 2019 8:45 PM

Evidently her daughter was diagnosed as a toddler with BHS (breath holding spells ), a condition that causes a child to pass out during tantrums. Can you imagine what the little Rhoda Penmark must be like now?

by Anonymousreply 26April 23, 2019 9:04 PM

Supposedly she sang at the Met, singing the part of the Dew Fairy in Hansel and Gretel. I can't remember what year this was, but I read about it.

by Anonymousreply 27April 23, 2019 11:10 PM

Wasn’t she pretty chavvy in real life?

by Anonymousreply 28April 23, 2019 11:28 PM

R21 wins.

by Anonymousreply 29April 23, 2019 11:28 PM

R28 yes. I saw a photo of her with her now ex husband and they looked like participants on that Teen Mom show.

by Anonymousreply 30April 23, 2019 11:39 PM

Sad Last Days!

by Anonymousreply 31April 23, 2019 11:41 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!