Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

On apps like Grindr, do you block guys you are not interested in or just don't respond?

I always block, seems more honest, guy is not left wondering what the deal is.

by Anonymousreply 66April 20, 2021 2:59 AM

You'll have to move to another city once you blocked almost everyone

by Anonymousreply 1April 2, 2016 4:20 PM

OP, R1 is correct. Just don't respond to guys you don't like. If the guys constantly send you messages after you've ignored them, that's a different story.

by Anonymousreply 2April 2, 2016 4:22 PM

Most guys move on quickly when they get no response. They're trying to get laid not inviting you to brunch.

by Anonymousreply 3April 2, 2016 4:30 PM

FYI, it's Grindr. No one owes you anything. Not a response, not a block, not sex, not anything. If you are one of those guys that takes Grindr that seriously, go seek professional help.

by Anonymousreply 4April 2, 2016 4:32 PM

I block anyone who isn't white, big-dicked, and a top.

by Anonymousreply 5April 2, 2016 4:34 PM

I block the trannies. Besides being annoying as fuck to look at, they take the space of someone I potentially may have sez with further down the grid.

by Anonymousreply 6April 2, 2016 4:36 PM

I sometimes block people that message me who I am not interested in - but it's usually when they keep sending messages. I think it's just as useful to block people who ignore me so I don't message them again.

Apps used to be a lot easier to get laid on in the past. Now it's 90% flakes and fugs.

by Anonymousreply 7April 2, 2016 4:40 PM

sez what, R6?

I like that, even more than my Grandma's old kids-in-earshot euphemism, 'x-e-s'. I'm keeping it.

by Anonymousreply 8April 2, 2016 4:49 PM

So where do you go to get laid, R7?

by Anonymousreply 9April 2, 2016 4:55 PM

If the guy just has a body shot and sends me his face pic and I'm not feeling it, I will block.

Most of the time there's a reason they don't have a face pic, but every so often it's a pleasant surprise

by Anonymousreply 10April 2, 2016 4:57 PM

I still get laid from apps, but it's a lot less than in the past. In the last year, maybe 3 or 4 people total. When they first came out - I think it was 10x that number in a year.

by Anonymousreply 11April 2, 2016 5:06 PM

No femmes, no fats, no Asians, no OP

by Anonymousreply 12April 2, 2016 5:14 PM

R6 I do that, too, sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 13April 2, 2016 5:17 PM

I only block people who are annoying with constant messages. If you are blocking men for any other reasons, I think you are probably a douche.

by Anonymousreply 14April 2, 2016 5:23 PM

This guy said he liked BB in his profile, and then I asked if he would use condoms - his answer was "neg undetectable". And I said "what's that?" - and he blocked me.

Seriously, wtf is "neg undetectable" - it's either "neg" or "poz undetectable" and I don't trust anyone's viral load to begin with, particularly if they can't decide if they are poz or neg.

by Anonymousreply 15April 2, 2016 5:37 PM

It's wise to assume that anyone you meet on Grindr is poz and carrying a host of other STDs, R15

Most are not, but you can't trust anyone to tell the truth, so better safe than sorry.

by Anonymousreply 16April 2, 2016 5:44 PM

Yeah, so far I've only gotten crabs off grindr (or that was probably scruff). Mama is so proud.

by Anonymousreply 17April 2, 2016 5:46 PM

[Quote]Seriously, wtf is "neg undetectable"

Maybe he was trying to say "no" to your condom request (by saying neg[ative]), but saying "undetectable" to assure you that you can't catch his HIV from him. Then he probably assumed you would reject him, so he blocked you before giving you a chance to do so.

by Anonymousreply 18April 2, 2016 5:51 PM

Guys without face pics are still using the "I've got to be discreet" excuse in 2016.

There are guys on ManHunt still using 15-year-old photos.

by Anonymousreply 19April 2, 2016 5:55 PM

My three automatic deal breakers: No Asians, redheads or uncut.

by Anonymousreply 20April 2, 2016 5:57 PM

Blocking doesn't even stop some of the more aggressive sex fiends. They'll just log on from a different device and try to contact you again.

by Anonymousreply 21April 2, 2016 5:58 PM

No one gives a shit what your closed minded quirks are, r20.

by Anonymousreply 22April 2, 2016 5:59 PM

Actually, R19, I've found those "I've got to be discreet" guys are just as likely to be out gay men in a relationship who are cheating on their boyfriends/husbands as they are to be closet cases

by Anonymousreply 23April 2, 2016 6:00 PM

Grindr Schmindr .... give me a secluded men's room where horny men hang out without a lot of interruptions occurring.

by Anonymousreply 24April 2, 2016 6:16 PM

Why are personal preferences considered closed minded quirks?

To each his own, R-22 . . .

by Anonymousreply 25April 2, 2016 6:33 PM

Oh maybe that was it R18. It was one of those situations where I randomly woke up at 4 am and went on there just to kill time before I could go back to bed. The strangest guys are on at that hour. I posted this two weeks ago - i met someone late at night, and when kissing him, my whole mouth and lips went numb. I was like - wtf is that, did you just do coke? (My limited experience with coke suggested that was the case.) He denied it... but there's nothing else in the world that would've caused that effect....lidocaine gum? (Someone should invent that for dental procedures).

I am more turned off by this lately than ever before. It used to have some fun adrenaline quality about it... but now it's just tiring to deal with people's 500 questions and endless pic requests (that I put up with because they are hot) but of course they later disappear. Maybe the other problem is age, aside from not being hot enough . It was fun at 28-29... when the apps first came out. Now I am old and I don't lie about it or send pics from 2008.

by Anonymousreply 26April 2, 2016 6:40 PM

I just installed Grindr and Scruff, mostly out of curiosity. It's interesting. The PrEP guys kind of repel me.

by Anonymousreply 27April 2, 2016 6:43 PM

[quote] The PrEP guys kind of repel me.

And that's a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 28April 2, 2016 6:44 PM

^By "old" I mean, old relative to the app population & what people seem to want. And, it is funny to read younger guys' discussions of the "old creepy guys" who message them...and those guys are 35+ . Ironically, I am not into younger at all, and they always message me and ask if I am a top and sometimes ask if am into "daddy role play". Maybe it's a tall / hairy thing... but that came on fast and slapped me in the face like a fat schlong.

Yes, I agree R27 - the Prep guys also annoy / repel me bc they refuse to use condoms, and 1. I am not gonna trust your adherance to prep. 2. There are other STDs I don't feel like getting even though they are treatable. And 3. the PrEP bottoms insist on BB...absolutely will not bottom without a condom.

I also wonder how many guys they are fucking to justify taking a combo HIV drug every single day. 20 a month? I tried asking this to a bunch of PrEP queens, and they got so offended at the question... I was like, wtf...simple question.

by Anonymousreply 29April 2, 2016 6:46 PM

Why do people seek dates amongst a group of strange people with some of the highest STD infection rates on the planet? Grindr is a cesspool.

by Anonymousreply 30April 2, 2016 7:14 PM

R30, I guess we ran out of nice gentlemen to fuck from church socials.

Seriously though - why do you think that STDs are not curable (aside from HIV) or that people who are posting here (who use Grindr) are having unsafe sex?

by Anonymousreply 31April 2, 2016 7:20 PM

I, admittedly, went overboard with hooking up online around 2000-2001, using Gay.com and Manhunt.

I was in my mid-forties, in the best shape of my life and constantly craving sex with guys.

Got into a few dangerous situations, but no harm, no foul.

Thankfully, I did not contract the HIV virus or any STD's.

by Anonymousreply 32April 2, 2016 7:21 PM

[Quote] Why do people seek dates amongst a group of strange people with some of the highest STD infection rates on the planet?

Bad news, babe. You can also get a STD from those you know and trust. It doesn't matter if you meet them on Grindr or at church services.

by Anonymousreply 33April 2, 2016 7:29 PM

[quote]Seriously though - why do you think that STDs are not curable

Because hepatitis, herpes and HPV are not curable. Some of the antibiotic treated STIs are becoming resistant. It's not that difficult. You don't really think STDs aren't curable do you? You aren't actually out among us, that stupid, are you?

[quote]Thankfully, I did not contract the HIV virus or any STI's.

Unless you were fully screened, how do you know? So many of the STIs can be asymptomatic. It's not just whoring, it's failure to screen.

by Anonymousreply 34April 2, 2016 10:49 PM

If not the apps where are you meeting you men these days?

by Anonymousreply 35April 2, 2016 10:50 PM

Any Whole Foods is packed with hot guys around the lunch/dinner hour.

by Anonymousreply 36April 3, 2016 2:00 AM

I don't care if it's just a hook-up app to some people, not replying to a legit message is just plain rude. On Scruff, it shows "insights" as to how often people reply to their messages, aka Rude Meter. Greggy Bennett from RHONJ has a 2 out of 10. What a douche. You're not that hot or important.

by Anonymousreply 37April 3, 2016 2:19 AM

I block more Asians than the wall of China - TYPICAL GAY GRINDR

by Anonymousreply 38April 3, 2016 2:21 AM

[quote]If you are blocking men for any other reasons, I think you are probably a douche.

But what if their black?!

by Anonymousreply 39April 3, 2016 2:27 AM

I would NEVER use such a trashy app as Grindr to meet other men. If you are on Grindr, you are desperate piece of trash.

by Anonymousreply 40April 3, 2016 2:48 AM

I'm polite and simply decline - blocking is very very immature - but then again, most people on the internet are immature cunts.

by Anonymousreply 41April 3, 2016 3:07 AM

R34. It's funny how idiots like you love to call other people idiots. Let me ask you: do you ever get laid? How would it be possible without taking your partner to a std clinic and testing him for every std and then making him stay in quarantine for 3-6 weeks (for any incubation period) then testing again...and then having sex ?

You said hepatitis isnt curable? First of all, hep C is curable with simeprevir, and Ive been vaccinated against hep B. And you claim you are a doctor? Not to mention, Hepatitis c is transmitted through blood only, and I do not come into contact with blood during sex. The contageon risk is virtually zero.

Herpes and hpv are a calculated risk. Let me ask you,dear doctor, how you avoid them without doing the testing I mentioned above?

If someone does not have an active outbreak then their viral shedding is pretty low (as it is with hpv). Even if it is contracted, 90% of people never have more than one breakout either. And, while there is no cure, Valtrex does work for suppression and shortens the breakout period. Finally, the body usually clears HPV in heathy adults. And if you do get warts, you can get them frozen off. Can you read the CDC's website? "Most HPV infections go away on their own without causing problems". Also, condoms reduce the risk here again - though not entirely.

There's no way you are a doctor. You are a bitter old Kween who can't get laid and now tries to scare other people (who can get laid all the time) away from sex with false facts (hepatitis) and misleading contageon risks. Having sex w someone on Grindr isn't going to give you a lifetime of Herpes and wart breakouts, Doctor.

by Anonymousreply 42April 3, 2016 3:16 AM

^ OMG, you seem like a box of chocolates, Debbie Downer! Go to Match.com!

by Anonymousreply 43April 3, 2016 3:25 AM

Oh and the ceftriaxone / azirhromycin combo is fully effective for now. This is the only area where there is a genuine concern because this is the last line of dense,but it works for now. I haven't been able to find any statistics on resistance from this combo.

by Anonymousreply 44April 3, 2016 3:25 AM

I usually just don't respond and the guy will take a hint. Sometimes they'll send a few more messages after that, like a week or more later.

There is one guy though that kept sending me messages multiple times each day, every day. I wouldn't respond and he would just keep at it. The biggest turn off was what he was saying. Anyway, I finally blocked him and thought that was that. A few days after I did though, he somehow managed to send me messages again. I figured he must have created a new account or had another phone or something. He's done this 2 or 3 times so now.

by Anonymousreply 45April 3, 2016 3:26 AM

I get my warts frozen off.

by Anonymousreply 46April 3, 2016 3:31 AM

I quit all the hookup apps and sites a few years ago. I cruise in real life.

It's easier when guys prove that they're assholes in person before I'm even thinking about sex.

by Anonymousreply 47April 3, 2016 6:15 AM

R42 is right-on. Fuck you, weary 'physician'. Your entire post was bullshit. Especially for chiding someone for not getting "fully screened"—how do you know he didn't? Asshole.

That said, Grindr does mostly suck. I'm in the best relationship of my life right now with someone I met on Grindr, but otherwise it's a huge waste of time. And blocking people with no warning when all they've done is say hello to you, is rude and abrupt.

I much preferred to cruise in real life as well. Ironically, THAT is where I caught syphillis a few weeks ago, from a random hookup in the gym sauna. No Grindr necessary! What do you think of THAT, weary physician asshole? (By the way, I did get "fully screened" after that, and I was negative for everything but syphilis. This was after literally hundreds of hookups with men over the past 9 or 10 years.)

by Anonymousreply 48April 3, 2016 8:35 AM

I heart you r43!!!

I was thinking EHarmony or Christian Mingle. You know where ALL the closet cases riddled with every disease known to man hang out.

Bottom line: Presume EVERYONE IS POSITIVE or has some other STD up front. Make your decision from there. There should be no surprises. Zero. Many guys lie like a rug. Age, status, weight, being tops, etc. Know this up front and you won't be disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 49April 3, 2016 8:59 AM

[quote]I much preferred to cruise in real life as well. Ironically, THAT is where I caught syphillis a few weeks ago, from a random hookup in the gym sauna. No Grindr necessary! What do you think of THAT, weary physician asshole?

I think you're a fucked up slut with little self respect who lives his life with so little discrimination or thought that he's a vector for disease. That's what I think. I also think you're too stupid to understand you're not arguing from a position of strength. Keep going. You're a real example. Your self esteem must be off the charts.

by Anonymousreply 50April 3, 2016 11:49 AM

I love you, R50. Tell that slut where to get off!

by Anonymousreply 51April 3, 2016 11:51 AM

I block all trannies. Not interested.

by Anonymousreply 52April 3, 2016 12:00 PM

R50, What kind of physician doesn't know there is a cure for Hep C and a vaccine for Hep B?

Also, where do you meet people, assuming you leave the house?

by Anonymousreply 53April 3, 2016 12:05 PM

R53, that Hep C cure you speak of is not 100% effective 100% of the time. Last I heard it left 15% of the people taking it unaffected and still having Hep C.

Just because you see a commerical on TV, doesn't answer all of the questions.

by Anonymousreply 54April 3, 2016 12:10 PM

Fine, then how much blood do you expect to encounter during sex w/ a condom? How likely his Hep C transmission during sex? Do you just stay in a saran wrap bubble, head to toe, for your whole life?

It's weird to me that the "doctor" is the same person who posted the following things:

[quote]So where do you go to get laid, R7?

[quote]If not the apps where are you meeting you men these days?

And, to top it off:

[quote]I just installed Grindr and Scruff

Seems like someone really really needs to get laid... but with that full suit of lead body armor, I'm not sure that you're going to find a partner.

by Anonymousreply 55April 3, 2016 12:16 PM

R16 and R49 have the right attitude: assume that everyone on there is both poz and carrying every STD known to man. If there's a connection you've got plenty of time to disprove that theory, but on first meeting it's always a good idea to keep everything super safe, and if the guy suddenly insists that barebacking is cool, it's fine to develop a stomachache or urgent appointment and cut and run.

I use block pretty extensively-- saves a lot of hassle, and prevents my phone from blowing up. I'm in a big city though, near a bunch of hotels-- I'm sure it's different in areas with limited gay population.

by Anonymousreply 56April 3, 2016 12:27 PM

R55, I wrote those posts so I know what I intended, which is not what you suppose.

It's possible with self esteem and self respect to have a satisfying sex life that isn't the equivalent of being a human drive through. It's possible to be curious just out of curiosity about alternatives to the apps given the predominance of apps in ours lives today. It's perfectly legitimate to cite HEP C as an incurable STI because it can be spread sexually - in a limited risk category but not an eliminated risk category.

Yes, Hep C can be cured - in 95% of sufferers - and if you can get access to a very expensive treatment, upwards of $100K. You could be one of those people who runs merrily along though life thinking how it doesn't matter about this or that because there's a cure. There is not one serious condition known to medicine where health care professionals don't advocate prevention, first and foremost. Find a herpes sufferer - above or below the waist - and ask if they'd prefer never to have had it or to be managing it. Or an HIV sufferer. It is better to be new than good as new. But facts seem very upsetting to you so I won't add any more.

I don't advocate don't. I advocate know. Know what's around you, make your decisions based on what is known. You don't seem to know much. But you won't know that, because you gotta love that ignore function, don't you? You wouldn't want to do anything but get very upset and flounce at a point of your different from your own.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57April 3, 2016 12:35 PM

R57 is the only person making sense on this thread of whores.

by Anonymousreply 58April 3, 2016 12:49 PM

R57 - All that long trifling mess and you didn't answer: How does someone get Hep C during sex where they are NOT EXPOSED TO BLOOD (through condom use or simply not biting each other and bathing in their blood)?

by Anonymousreply 59April 3, 2016 1:08 PM

R58 = shut in fat pig who hasn't seen his dick since the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 60April 3, 2016 1:09 PM

[quote]Hepatitis C is usually spread when blood from a person infected with the Hepatitis C virus enters the body of someone who is not infected. Today, most people become infected with the Hepatitis C virus by sharing needles or other equipment to inject drugs. Before 1992, when widespread screening of the blood supply began in the United States, Hepatitis C was also commonly spread through blood transfusions and organ transplants.

[quote]Can Hepatitis C be spread through sexual contact? Yes, but the risk of transmission from sexual contact is believed to be low. The risk increases for those who have multiple sex partners, have a sexually transmitted disease, engage in rough sex, or are infected with HIV.

As I said. It's not really an STD. It's spread through blood and rare sexual contact that is "rough" enough to draw blood. Thanks for the link proving yourself wrong.

by Anonymousreply 61April 3, 2016 1:13 PM

I am genuinely curious though: How does the doctor have sex partners? The test + quarantine + test method is the only way to know, reliably. Even partners can cheat. And, I don't know how you'd convince a partner to have a full STD panel, abstain for 6 weeks,and then do it again - before touching you (kissing can spread Herpes-1 after all).

Is there even a test for HPV? I think I asked two doctors and both said it's not done "clinically" but it is done for research. I cannot seem to find an answer online.

by Anonymousreply 62April 3, 2016 1:18 PM

Sooooo.... all this tread does is reaffirm that most gay men are shallow beyond belief.

by Anonymousreply 63April 3, 2016 1:32 PM

R63 Your comment is worthless. Why did you even bother to write it?

I block on Grindr and Scruff very rarely, usually people who send me multiple messages.

I don't answer 80% of the messages. If it's not a match, I don't want to waste to time.

by Anonymousreply 64April 3, 2016 3:35 PM

Hehe

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65April 20, 2021 12:28 AM

I use the block feature all the time. I look at someone’s profile and decide whether they’re even worth talking to based on their description. Of course their picture plays a part as well. But let’s face it if someone isn’t attractive to you what’s the point of leaving their profile visible. And it’s true in some places you’ll run out of options. So be it

by Anonymousreply 66April 20, 2021 2:59 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!