Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Steve McQueen hated gay men

He was a life long Republican who supported the Viet Nam war, opposed Martin Luther King Jr.'s work, opposed gun control and in his later years became a born again Christian who worshiped Rev. Billy Graham.

However he was also a drunk, a drug addict, beat his girlfriends and wives, abandoned his kids and pissed off so many people in his career that his last film "The Hunter" was made out of desperation as no one else wanted to work with him.

I think if he were still alive today he'd just be another has been actor doing crap work and a birther complaining about Obama and liberals.

That said, "Bullit" and "Le Mans" are still two of my favorite movies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232May 12, 2020 3:41 AM

He hated gay men, yet he went into the theater. Hmm.

by Anonymousreply 1March 28, 2016 1:28 PM

Do you have any gay-hating quotes? Not that I question he was homophobic, a born-again follower of Billy Graham and all.

by Anonymousreply 2March 28, 2016 1:32 PM

Golly, OP. You're so deep. Did you copy all that from one of the other "Steve McQueen Hated Gay Men" threads, or cobble from all of them?

Well. Covered. Territory.

That said, indeed.

by Anonymousreply 3March 28, 2016 1:33 PM

R3...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4March 28, 2016 1:35 PM

R2 a couple of his biographies talked about how he loathed gay men and one says it was to cover up his own bisexuality, but more likely it was based on his prostitute mother letting her johns rape him and then him getting gang raped in reform school.

by Anonymousreply 5March 28, 2016 1:38 PM

I'm not a movie buff, or more like I'm not an old movie queen, but I used to be. Watched AMC all day. But there isn't any Steve McQueen movie I remember loving offhand. I thought, oh Cool Hand Luke, that was a great one. But Newman of course, Steve was overshadowed by Paul.

by Anonymousreply 6March 28, 2016 2:00 PM

Never cared for him as a actor.

He seemed to have a nice cock though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7March 28, 2016 2:05 PM

R6 apparently he turned down "Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid" because he refused to take second billing to Paul Newman.

R7 his last wife described it as two Coors cans stacked on top of each other in length and thickness.

by Anonymousreply 8March 28, 2016 2:08 PM

Never cared for his movies and did not think he was that attractive either.

by Anonymousreply 9March 28, 2016 2:11 PM

My first BF looked just like him and sadly was just as big a douchebag. I think he was a pretty good actor but turned down roles that would have shown that, simply because he was too arrogant to work with certain actors who he considered competition. I think he was very good at conveying thoughts and emotions without words whereas other actors need lots of dialogue to get their intentions across. "The Thomas Crown Affair" is one of his better movies.

by Anonymousreply 10March 28, 2016 2:20 PM

I assumed he must've been jealous of Newman, the more handsome and acclaimed blond hunk at the time.

by Anonymousreply 11March 28, 2016 2:24 PM

I liked The Great Escape, that is the only thing I liked him in. That was a long time ago and he was a heartless idiot, like a lot of people.

by Anonymousreply 12March 28, 2016 2:33 PM

R11 he eventually worked with him again after "Somebody Up There Likes Me" and they made "The Towering Inferno" but McQueen argued like hell over his and Newman's name placement on the advertising and film credits. He really was an envious prick.

by Anonymousreply 13March 28, 2016 2:33 PM

Went to boot camp with a guy who was his spitting image. And ironically, a flaming queen.

by Anonymousreply 14March 28, 2016 2:44 PM

By all accounts he seems to have had a very hard childhood, so I don't want to judge him too harshly.

by Anonymousreply 15March 28, 2016 2:52 PM

He loved getting naked.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16March 28, 2016 2:57 PM

He could've bashed me anytime.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17March 28, 2016 3:00 PM

I've discovered that the straight guys who "hate" the gays or who are constantly focused on what the gays are doing, do that because they themselves are fighting their own gay feelings. Most straight guys, who are really straight, don't really care one way or the other about what the gays are doing.

by Anonymousreply 18March 28, 2016 3:01 PM

r18 But what about the CHILDREN!?

by Anonymousreply 19March 28, 2016 3:03 PM

NOBODY cares what they are doing R19.

by Anonymousreply 20March 28, 2016 3:12 PM

"A couple of his biographies talked about how he loathed gay men and one says it was to cover up his own bisexuality, but more likely it was based on his prostitute mother letting her johns rape him and then him getting gang raped in reform school."

What "biography" said that? One by Darwin Porter, perhaps? It sounds like lurid bullshit that was made up to titillate people like you who will believe anything.

by Anonymousreply 21March 28, 2016 3:26 PM

Hated that gross facial mole.

by Anonymousreply 22March 28, 2016 3:26 PM

Didn't Robert Evans do everything in his power to blacklist him in Hollywood after he stole Ali McGraw away from him?

by Anonymousreply 23March 28, 2016 3:32 PM

I have yet to meet someone who "hates" gays because of some reason like being abused or having a family member catch AIDS -- who was telling the truth.

by Anonymousreply 24March 28, 2016 3:51 PM

That was Axel Rose's attempt at an excuse, that he'd been molested. It didn't go over well, no one was buying it. The real reason is he's just an idiot. I strain to care about the homophobia of someone so long dead, though.

by Anonymousreply 25March 28, 2016 3:59 PM

I actually heard he was BI and not from Darwin Porter either, but the homophobia fits as part of his type and history.

by Anonymousreply 26March 28, 2016 4:09 PM

Wasn't he one of Mary Wilson's beaus?

by Anonymousreply 27March 28, 2016 4:13 PM

"Wasn't he one of Mary Wilson's beaus?"

Two Marys jealous of someone else getting top billing.

by Anonymousreply 28March 28, 2016 4:17 PM

How can a man called "McQUEEN" hate the gays.

by Anonymousreply 29March 28, 2016 4:18 PM

"one says it was to cover up his own bisexuality"

So he was a little bit McQueen?

by Anonymousreply 30March 28, 2016 4:20 PM

Christ, r17, have some self respect.

by Anonymousreply 31March 28, 2016 6:16 PM

Fuck that white bitch right in his busted pussy!

I'M THE ONY MCQUEEN WHO MATTERS!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32March 28, 2016 6:24 PM

[quote]I've discovered that the straight guys who "hate" the gays or who are constantly focused on what the gays are doing, do that because they themselves are fighting their own gay feelings. Most straight guys, who are really straight, don't really care one way or the other about what the gays are doing.

That's a pretty broad diagnosis, junior. Some people are just assholes.

by Anonymousreply 33March 29, 2016 12:40 AM

Good actor, but I never found him attractive.

by Anonymousreply 34March 29, 2016 1:43 AM

I never found him attractive - until I started watching reruns of "Wanted - Dead or Alive" - I absolutely love him in that show, so now this information about him being an idiot, well, let's see what tomorrow brings. And the first series intro is different from the later versions of the show. I did notice the camera focused on his crotch quite a bit, and his big gun.

Damn. Did not know he was such a jerk.

by Anonymousreply 35March 29, 2016 10:01 AM

"He could've bashed me anytime."

I was going to give you a "Bitch--what?" but somebody already beat me to it.

by Anonymousreply 36March 29, 2016 10:12 AM

His grandson is hotter. But yeah, is this really all that surprising? I mean he was born in 1930.

by Anonymousreply 37March 29, 2016 10:53 AM

I always thought his wife, Neile Adams, was sort of homely. Almost boyish in her looks. His poor son, Chad, looks like the product of years of substance abuse or victim of a bad car accident. I saw him in the documentary about the making of "Le Mans" and thought "God, what happened to you?"

by Anonymousreply 38March 29, 2016 1:39 PM

He said to Ali McGraw that she had to exercise because he didn't want to her to have an ass like a Jap gardener.

by Anonymousreply 39March 29, 2016 7:35 PM

It's ironic that a gay couple now own and live in his old home in Los Angeles.

by Anonymousreply 40March 29, 2016 7:58 PM

I thought it was a fact the Steve had a gay relationship with Paul Newman? I read a review of a book about that relationship.

by Anonymousreply 41March 29, 2016 9:04 PM

R41, I don't know about a relationship, but I've heard they did have an occasional thing going on.

by Anonymousreply 42March 29, 2016 9:08 PM

I am shocked that a man who was born in 1930 and grew up in the Midwest didn't like gay men! Shocked, I tell you!

by Anonymousreply 43March 29, 2016 9:08 PM

I thought Steve McQueen had a relationship with James Dean but it was Dean's on again off again relationship with Marlon Brandon that caused the problem for the Dean/McQueen. Brando was always able to draw James Dean back. I think Steve might have really loved James but playing 2nd fiddle to Brando might have made him bitter towards gay men in general in his future.

by Anonymousreply 44March 29, 2016 9:32 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45March 29, 2016 9:53 PM

DARWIN PORTER????? R45, nothing Darwin Porter writes counts.

My problem with Steve McQueen has always been that he was a major fug with a terrible body.

by Anonymousreply 46March 29, 2016 10:00 PM

Shut up cunt.

by Anonymousreply 47March 29, 2016 10:03 PM

He's white trash hot.

by Anonymousreply 48March 29, 2016 11:07 PM

Neile wasn't a bad looking woman at all. Maybe that pixie hairdo made her look boyish in your eyes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49March 29, 2016 11:26 PM

“I met Steve McQueen on the set of The Magnificent Seven. I was a background actor. He noticed me and told one of the AD’s he wanted to talk to me. An hour later on a break I was making out with Steve in his trailer. That night we got drunk and ended up in bed. We saw each other periodically for three more years."

apparently he wasn't against hooking up with nice little boys

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50March 30, 2016 1:00 AM

I met him twice...once during filming of Bullit....and then years later at the end of his life in Mexico was when he died....I fell in love with his stand in ...I was about 13....at the end of his life he was a mess.....

by Anonymousreply 51March 30, 2016 1:03 AM

These two would have made a very hot couple.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52March 30, 2016 1:20 AM

Here he is slobbering all over John Wayne.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53March 30, 2016 1:22 AM

Steve McQueen died over 30 years ago. Your interest in this is pretty dated. When was the last time you left your apartment?

by Anonymousreply 54March 30, 2016 1:37 AM

Nobody has posted this yet?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55March 30, 2016 1:40 AM

This is DL and he was a good-looking white guy. If they're not Muslim, black or any other non-white male, most of the bigoted queens 'round here will overlook homophobia.

by Anonymousreply 56March 30, 2016 1:53 AM

[quote]Steve McQueen died over 30 years ago. Your interest in this is pretty dated. When was the last time you left your apartment?

Relax R54! Nobody will remember you in 5 years.

by Anonymousreply 57March 30, 2016 1:54 AM

What does that even mean? Stick to your 267 nostalgia threads that you fill with self-responses. Just like you've done with this one.

by Anonymousreply 58March 30, 2016 2:01 AM

R54 is an illiterate and uncultured idiot who had to google who McQueen was.

by Anonymousreply 59March 30, 2016 2:05 AM

Not only did McQueen demand top or equal billing with Newman on Towering Inferno, he also insisted on equal pay and the same number of lines. And by the time he shows up onscreen 43 minutes in, Newman had already used up half his lines, leaving McQueen to dominate the last hour of the picture.

by Anonymousreply 60March 30, 2016 2:05 AM

[quote]This is DL and he was a good-looking white guy. If they're not Muslim, black or any other non-white male, most of the bigoted queens 'round here will overlook homophobia.

Also, he'll be considered good-looking precisely because he's white. Even if he isn't.

by Anonymousreply 61March 30, 2016 2:09 AM

Steve, the queen, is apparently pointing to something in that photo at R55. I don't see nuthin', though. Unless he's pointing to a urine stain. Not saying he ain't packing. Just don't see it in that picture.

by Anonymousreply 62March 30, 2016 3:10 AM

Seriously? Do you not see his dick in that pic?

by Anonymousreply 63March 30, 2016 3:16 AM

[quote]His grandson is hotter.

You mean the grandson who looks more like his stepfather than his father?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64March 30, 2016 3:16 AM

Ha! I thought he was holding a cigar stump, R63. I see it now. Looks OK. Doesn't look like the "two beer cans in length and width" mentioned above, though. And it looks semi-hard. I'd say it looks like it was 7" long at its hardest. Which is nice, but no .... cigar.

by Anonymousreply 65March 30, 2016 3:53 AM

He was part of Roman Polanski's circle in the late 60s, and they were known to be a virulently homophobic bunch, even by 1960s standards.

by Anonymousreply 66March 30, 2016 5:05 AM

It's time Darwin Porter be made the honorary patron saint of DL!

"Ian undercover" is a come-lately who hasn't parlayed his internet fame into the "gay affairs expose" niche Porter's made into his exclusive bitch.

by Anonymousreply 67March 30, 2016 6:07 AM

[quote]There is a new book coming out (James Dean Tomorrow Never Comer by Porter & Prince) which details the relationship James Dean had with both Brando and McQueen. Brando and Dean had an S/M type situation that hurt James Dean causing him to toy with Steve McQueen's love.

Gay fiction is so boring.

by Anonymousreply 68March 30, 2016 10:51 AM

If Porter says he had the sex with men then you know it isn't true.

by Anonymousreply 69March 30, 2016 10:56 AM

r50

That blogpost is from 2008, but the book never materialized.

by Anonymousreply 70March 30, 2016 10:59 AM

Oops, sorry, I misread.

by Anonymousreply 71March 30, 2016 11:02 AM

No, wait - I didn't.

by Anonymousreply 72March 30, 2016 11:03 AM

[quote]He was part of Roman Polanski's circle in the late 60s, and they were known to be a virulently homophobic bunch, even by 1960s standards.

Well then I'm glad the Manson family murdered them.

by Anonymousreply 73March 30, 2016 12:07 PM

Is that pic with his dick out real or fake? I have seen it over the years and always wondered.

by Anonymousreply 74March 30, 2016 12:19 PM

The bastard was too sexy. He was not pretty, but he was as sexy as hell.

I have seen all of his movies, except from 'Soldier in the Rain' and 'The Honeymoon Machine'.

Steve had star quality and strong physical presence behind the camera. You could not ignore him, he had his type. It is true that his idols were James Dean and Marlon Brando, but fortunately, he went beyond them and created his own style.

My favorite movie with him is 'The Sand Pebbles' and after that, i put 'An Enemy of the People'.

Below, there is the official wedding photo of Steve and Barbara McQueen, his last wife.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75March 30, 2016 12:21 PM

In 1956 he had a small part as a Centurian in a local stage production on "The Goldbergs" starring Gertrude Berg. When he received his pay, Steve was angry. He is an actor and since he was also a Centurian, should have been paid double. The series now airs on JLTV (Jewish Life TV), the episode is "Rosie, the Actress."

by Anonymousreply 76March 30, 2016 12:36 PM

Steve McQueen remains dead. Your knowledge and faux-conversation information won't change that.

by Anonymousreply 77March 30, 2016 1:03 PM

R77, give me your hands. Why do you write such things, babe?

by Anonymousreply 78March 30, 2016 1:08 PM

R77 not"faux". The salary information was from Arlene McQuade, Rosie on the series, who was embarrassed because she referred Steve to the director.

by Anonymousreply 79March 30, 2016 1:13 PM

R78, your lack of self-awareness and your advanced dementia are astounding. Your caseworker should increase the frequency of her visits.

by Anonymousreply 80March 30, 2016 1:15 PM

Are you sure, R80...?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81March 30, 2016 1:25 PM

Stevie and family

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82March 30, 2016 11:31 PM

Holy shit R82 I don't know if I should laugh or cry.

by Anonymousreply 83March 30, 2016 11:33 PM

r82! Who knew that even the Hollywood Elite were not above a drop-in visit at the Sears photo salon?!

by Anonymousreply 84March 31, 2016 12:31 AM

R82 ... wow, that's really unfortunate. What was the name of that photographer who did the incredibly awkward "glamour" shots? Anyone remember? That's what this reminds me of.

by Anonymousreply 85March 31, 2016 12:35 AM

At least Neile had her legs together.

by Anonymousreply 86March 31, 2016 12:40 AM

"I thought it was a fact the Steve had a gay relationship with Paul Newman? I read a review of a book about that relationship."

I imagine this book you're referring to was written by Darwin Porter. And if you think anything he ever wrote was "a fact"...well, you must not know anything about Darwin Porter.

So what was he, a raging homophobe or closeted gay man who loved cock? I doubt that he was either one.

by Anonymousreply 87March 31, 2016 12:45 AM

BREAKING: Steve McQueen is still dead. He's as dead as he was on the day he died over 30!years ago.

by Anonymousreply 88March 31, 2016 12:59 AM

R88, you only want threads about Katie Perry, Housewives or Katrashian trash?

by Anonymousreply 89March 31, 2016 1:12 AM

BREAKING: Steve McQueen was a heterosexual womanizer with no interest in men.

Sorry :(

by Anonymousreply 90March 31, 2016 1:14 AM

What is this bullshit about Polanski being anti-gay?

by Anonymousreply 91March 31, 2016 1:24 AM

Someone ought to tell Lee Majors

by Anonymousreply 92March 31, 2016 1:28 AM

I know this is just here say, but in the mid 70s I worked in a San Francisco bathhouse. The manager told me that a few years earlier. SMQ would come in from time to time for relief. FWIW.

by Anonymousreply 93March 31, 2016 1:30 AM

He was brought up in an abusive environment. He ran away from home several times. Was in the juvi and was rough trade for awhile. He was a clear definition of homophobic by environmental factors. Everyone he ever knew were homophobes, he never could embrace a new way of thinking.

He died from brain cancer, i think in his late 40s.

by Anonymousreply 94March 31, 2016 1:35 AM

" I know this is just here say, but in the mid 70s I worked in a San Francisco bathhouse. The manager told me that a few years earlier. SMQ would come in from time to time for relief. FWIW."

I seriously doubt the Steve McQueen (assuming he was into gay sex) would go to a "San Francisco bathhouse" for "relief." If he wanted cock he sure as hell wouldn't have had to go to a bathhouse to get it. Maybe this bathhouse manager saw a guy there who looked like him and went by the name "Steve". That is certainly possible.

By all reliable accounts, he was totally heterosexual. But I imagine a lot of gay men fantasize that he was gay. Steve McQueen, although rather rough-hewn looking, was sexy as hell.

by Anonymousreply 95March 31, 2016 1:40 AM

Geeze, sorry for giving you a coronary R95. It was just a piece of gossip to share. I didn't say it was true. I remember when gossip was enjoyed here. That's why all the folks with real tea to spill have left leaving the place to Fraus, breeders, PR and whack jobs.

by Anonymousreply 96March 31, 2016 1:44 AM

I wonder if he was held down and juvie while the older boys took turns on his ass.

by Anonymousreply 97March 31, 2016 1:45 AM

R94 he died of heart failure in the hours following surgery for neck and abdominal tumors metastasised from mesothelioma - cancer from asbestos, probably from when he was in the marines.

by Anonymousreply 98March 31, 2016 1:52 AM

Darwin Porter had Steve McQueen banging everything in pants. He even wrote a book about it.

by Anonymousreply 99March 31, 2016 2:04 AM

Never liked him until I saw him in "Love With The Proper Stranger" with Natalie Wood.

What a great film.

Also Thomas Crown was worth seeing I love the style of Thomas Crown.

by Anonymousreply 100March 31, 2016 2:25 AM

" I remember when gossip was enjoyed here. That's why all the folks with real tea to spill have left leaving the place to Fraus, breeders, PR and whack jobs."

Calm down, Mary. It was just a reasonable response to your lame gossip. No need to get your panties in a knot.

by Anonymousreply 101March 31, 2016 2:28 AM

And yet the women loved him . . . . . .

by Anonymousreply 102March 31, 2016 2:28 AM

R66

Roman never cared for McQueen. Sharon was the common denominator. Jay Sebring had known Steve since the early 60s. Jay dated Sharon, later becoming engaged to her. Jay & Sharon and Steve & Neile did things together, dining, traveling etc.... Sharon liked him. She apparently got along with most people and had a lot of friends. If Roman didn't like someone, he didn't put on a pretense of pretending that he did.

Roman said that McQueen for 'all of his talk' didn't even have the decency to show up at Sharon's funeral and that for him, that was it. Roman had no use for McQueen after that. I will point out though that both Sharon's and Jay's services were held on the same day and Steve was closer to Jay. Even though both services were held on the same day and in the same city, they were deliberately scheduled 2 hours apart and Roman and others managed to attend both sets of services including actors Warren Beatty, Yul Brynner.

Neile McQueen said that she's believes that she & Steve did attend Sharon's services before Jay's which they did attend. It was a crazy tense time and Steve was packing a gun because none of them knew who or whom was behind all of this and they were all scared. Neile said that Steve thought someone might actually pull a gun at Jay's services etc...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103March 31, 2016 2:44 AM

So, I'm guessing a lot of people would have sex with Steve McQueen based on that "would you have sex with a homophobe?" poll.

by Anonymousreply 104March 31, 2016 3:33 AM

R94, McQueen died of metastasized lung cancer at age 50. We all know this.

by Anonymousreply 105March 31, 2016 12:36 PM

That's no excuse R94.

by Anonymousreply 106March 31, 2016 12:41 PM

When I see a picture of SM it makes me think of Malcolm McDowell.

by Anonymousreply 107March 31, 2016 12:44 PM

r95 r101 Oh my.

by Anonymousreply 108March 31, 2016 12:55 PM

R95 why wouldn't Steve end up going to a Bathhouse. Let's face it he was safe doing so. You are living proof no one ever would believe he would. 40 years later you cannot believe anyone who was A list would. It must strike you as more than bizarre that Rock Hudson probably frequented Bathhouses as well.

Steve McQuuen was an actor. How many actors did you know in Drama class who were footballers ?

by Anonymousreply 109March 31, 2016 2:05 PM

R99 doesn't understand that what Darwin Porter writes is fiction.

by Anonymousreply 110March 31, 2016 6:26 PM

Steve McQueen did not die from AIDS. I don't get how come and in the highly praised book 'Fade to Black: A Book of Movie Obituaries', it is written that he died from AIDS! I don't get it and i don't think that it is true. I have read two biographies of Steve and a lot of articles about him and the reason of his death was cancer in each of them.

Please, tell me about the AIDS rumors, if you know anything about them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111May 30, 2016 12:09 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112May 30, 2016 12:32 PM

Just read through this entire thread and I'm not anymore certain if the claim Steve Mcqueen hated gay men was true or not. I do know it would saddened me if he did as I've always been a fan of his.

by Anonymousreply 113August 26, 2017 4:28 AM

Can't stand him. And whatever his childhood was, doesn't excuse him being a right-wing racist.bigoted asshole. Was MLK the one who hurt him?

James Garner also had a rough childhood and yet he turned out to be a compassionate, LIBERAL guy. Also infinitely hotter than Steve McKKKween.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114August 26, 2017 5:06 AM

Oh my [R114] Thanks for reminding me what a beauty James Garner was!

by Anonymousreply 115August 26, 2017 11:51 AM

Regarding Steve MQ entering and enjoying a gay bathhouse, hasn't Miss Travolta been spotted in a bathhouse? So SMQ in a gay bathhouse in the 70s is not that out of the realm of possibility.

by Anonymousreply 116August 26, 2017 12:24 PM

I heard he died in one of those sham Mexican clinics where he was getting coffee enemas as treatment, EWWW what a disgusting picture that is.

by Anonymousreply 117August 26, 2017 12:52 PM

Hope it was free trade.

by Anonymousreply 118August 26, 2017 1:00 PM

Which other stars are rumoured to have visited gay bathhouses?

by Anonymousreply 119August 26, 2017 1:55 PM

He was opposed to MLK? I find that hard to believe...proof?

by Anonymousreply 120August 26, 2017 1:59 PM

Here's an interesting link - see #16 regarding gay rumors.

If even half the stuff is true or all of it half true, he was one nasty, messed-up guy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121August 26, 2017 2:06 PM

I bet he tore that pussy up honey! That's why the girls liked him. I think he suffered a lot in his childhood which is sad.

by Anonymousreply 122August 26, 2017 2:32 PM

Supposed to go to dinner at Polanski and Tate’s house on the night they and Sebring were murdered by Charles Manson and his gang in 1969, but canceled at the last minute. He later learned he’d been dangerously high on Manson’s “Death List.”

Everyone in Hollywood makes that claim.

Made $5 million per picture in 1970 plus %. Bull. Bruce Willis was the first actor to make 5mill.

by Anonymousreply 123August 26, 2017 2:32 PM

He had a thick dick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124August 26, 2017 2:36 PM

The lady protesteth too much. All homophobes are gay.

by Anonymousreply 125August 26, 2017 2:56 PM

Ew it's cut

by Anonymousreply 126August 27, 2017 7:57 PM

Would let him beat me within an inch of my life and would beg for more!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127August 27, 2017 8:06 PM

ROUGH

by Anonymousreply 128August 27, 2017 8:08 PM

Just FYI - I saw this old thread posted in a Facebook group. Not sure why someone would bump it to an outside group.

by Anonymousreply 129July 28, 2018 1:04 AM

But MLK was a Republican, who wasn't exactly pro gay himself

by Anonymousreply 130July 28, 2018 1:07 AM

I guess I've seen a couple Steve McQueen movies, and I have to admit, I don't really see the appeal.

He's pretty one note, and looked like a really worn out younger guy. The fact that he was a typical hot mess of a shitty Republican removes what little shine there is left for me. I don't get a lot of the Beat Generation adoration.

by Anonymousreply 131July 28, 2018 1:11 AM

That facial mole was gross.

by Anonymousreply 132July 28, 2018 1:19 AM

Interesting list of movies he turned down, wasn't cast in (because he was an asshole), never got off the ground:

Breakfast at Tiffany's

Oceans 11

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

The Driver

Apocalypse Now

California Split

Dirty Harry

A Bridge Too Far

The French Connection

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

... and others.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133July 28, 2018 1:21 AM

Where did the idea that McQueen was racist originate? He admired MLK and supported civil rights. He was anti Vietnam war too. McQueen totally embraced the hippie movement to the point where it led to the breakdown of his first marriage.

It is likely that he was abused as a kid and had abandonment issues because of his mother’s behaviour. Steve was very, very close to Don Gordon, finding roles for him in many of his films. Gay or straight, he loved anal sex, often with chicks he picked up for a one night stand. he liked his buddies to watch too.

One thing is for sure, McQueen was hot as fuck. Particularly love him in Thomas Crown, The Getaway and Baby, the rain must fall.

by Anonymousreply 134July 28, 2018 1:21 AM

Steve McQueen was the #1 box office attraction of 1974 because of the great success of Towering Inferno. Then he seemed to disappear, perhaps because of his rebellious nature.

4 years late he made An Enemy Of The People that was so bizarre that it was almost unreleaseable. Then 2 more action movies in 1980, the year he died at age 50.

by Anonymousreply 135July 28, 2018 1:40 AM

Movie poster for his last movie The Hunter, released the year he died, 1980.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136July 28, 2018 1:46 AM

Really known for 4 movies: The Great Escape, Bullitt, The Thomas Crown Affair and The Towering Inferno.

by Anonymousreply 137July 28, 2018 1:51 AM

Op did a complete character assassination of Steve McQueen. Come on, the man was Old School from years ago. He was more or less a product of his day.

His famous pose from the movie Bullitt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138July 28, 2018 1:54 AM

Steve McQueen mooning a sign.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139July 28, 2018 2:01 AM

Ugly and a flat ass.

by Anonymousreply 140July 28, 2018 2:18 AM

I've seen Nevada Smith, Bullitt, The Great Escape, Cincinnati Kid, The Sand Pebbles and Papillon. He was brilliant in Papillon.

When I watch actors today, it's clear to me that many of them were influenced by him and his acting style. I didn't know he was a Republican, or that he hated Gays.

by Anonymousreply 141July 28, 2018 2:39 AM

"My problem with Steve McQueen has always been that he was a major fug with a terrible body."

You must be blind because he sure as hell didn't have a "terrible body." And while not conventionally handsome he was quite hot and was considered a sex symbol. That being said, he was one of the great movie stars. He had that star quality.

I don't think he hated gays or was raped or any of that bullshit. All that sounds like the kind of sensationalistic crap that gets said about dead celebrities.

by Anonymousreply 142July 28, 2018 2:47 AM

It's impossible to discuss celebs &co on dl honestly, there is always posters like r142 chiming in.

by Anonymousreply 143July 28, 2018 2:50 AM

[quote] He was a life long Republican who supported the Viet Nam war, opposed Martin Luther King Jr.'s work, opposed gun control and in his later years became a born again Christian who worshiped Rev. Billy Graham.

[quote] However he was also a drunk, a drug addict, beat his girlfriends and wives, abandoned his kids

Funny how these things always go hand in hand.

by Anonymousreply 144July 28, 2018 3:04 AM

"It's impossible to discuss celebs &co on dl honestly, there is always posters like [R142] chiming in."

No doubt you believe anything anybody says about anybody. That's not very bright.

by Anonymousreply 145July 28, 2018 3:16 AM

R82 It's time to play Family Feud!

First up is the McQueen Family!

Steve! Barbara!

by Anonymousreply 146July 28, 2018 3:35 AM

mutilated

by Anonymousreply 147July 28, 2018 4:54 AM

He was indeed sexy as fuck and created a style of his own. However, he did not star in any great classic movies.

by Anonymousreply 148July 28, 2018 8:59 AM

Mc Queen was important. But like many other artists he was not a nice person.

by Anonymousreply 149July 28, 2018 10:49 AM

Indeed.Sounds like a bad case of closetitis.

by Anonymousreply 150July 28, 2018 10:52 AM

He wasn't one of the great movie stars, he was one of the most popular movie personalities. There's a difference.

His only film classics are ensemble casts or polished,. stylized films where the visuals did as much (or more) work than the actors.

The cult of cool around him and his early death are the only reasons we still talk about him today. If he'd lived he'd be like Alain Delon, mostly ignored because of his embarrassing rightwing beliefs.

by Anonymousreply 151July 28, 2018 10:57 AM

The only thing I can even find about McQueen and the Civil Rights movement is that he said he might attend the March on Washington but never did.

by Anonymousreply 152July 28, 2018 11:08 AM

If McQueen was still alive, he’d be falling over chairs like Eastwood.

by Anonymousreply 153July 28, 2018 11:33 AM

And I hated him. Well, didn't care about him one way or another. Who needed to when we had Paul Newman?

by Anonymousreply 154July 28, 2018 11:52 AM

I'll bet he sucked more cock in his lifetime than most out homos.

by Anonymousreply 155July 28, 2018 12:01 PM

McQueen received an Academy Award nomination for his role in The Sand Pebbles. His other popular films include The Cincinnati Kid, The Thomas Crown Affair, Bullitt, The Getaway, and Papillon, as well as the all-star ensemble films The Magnificent Seven, The Great Escape, and The Towering Inferno. In 1974, he became the highest-paid movie star in the world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156July 28, 2018 12:04 PM

The Thomas Crown Affair (1968 film) starring Steve McQueen and Faye Dunaway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157July 28, 2018 12:11 PM

Before you start opining on how important you think he was/is, or whether he starred in any classics, go watch his movies. Yes he made some popular CLASSICS like Magnificent Seven, and Bullitt, and The Great Escape was fun and very enjoyable, but Cincinnati Kid and Nevada Smith were excellent, and the Sand Pebbles and Papillon were nothing short of brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 158July 28, 2018 12:12 PM

His grandson is a cutie:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159July 28, 2018 12:20 PM

Dusty Springfield / Windmills Of Your Mind from The Thomas Crown Afffair 1968

The song (with the English lyrics) was introduced in the film The Thomas Crown Affair (1968), and won the Academy Award for Best Original Song in the same year. In 2004, "Windmills of Your Mind" was ranked 57 in AFI's 100 Years...100 Songs survey of top songs in American cinema. A cover by Sting was used in the 1999 remake of The Thomas Crown Affair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160July 28, 2018 1:25 PM

I found out that Neile was half Filipino...explains the grandson’s exotic looks.

by Anonymousreply 161July 28, 2018 4:44 PM

Or is it that Luc Robitaille is Steven R. McQueen's biodad?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162July 28, 2018 4:47 PM

Steven R. McQueen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163July 28, 2018 4:52 PM

Luc Robitaille

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164July 28, 2018 4:52 PM

Robitaille is Steven R’s stepfather.

by Anonymousreply 165July 28, 2018 4:58 PM

Unless he's more than his stepfather, r165.

by Anonymousreply 166July 28, 2018 5:00 PM

"I'll bet he sucked more cock in his lifetime than most out homos."

I'll bet your a idiot. What a stupid thing to say.

by Anonymousreply 167July 28, 2018 5:49 PM

[quote]I'll bet your a idiot.

I'll bet you're an idiot, too.

by Anonymousreply 168July 28, 2018 6:20 PM

I'm gay and hate gay men. Most are truly insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 169July 28, 2018 6:25 PM

Bullitt has the most incomprehensible plot I've ever seen in a movie. I tried watching it a second time and even read a synopsis and I still have no idea what happens in it except people driving around San Francisco a lot in 1968. Which I admit is fun to see.

by Anonymousreply 170July 28, 2018 6:45 PM

Seems we've got a number of trans on here who insist people be attracted to people they're not attracted to.

Pretty hysterical when you think that gay men should be attracted to women just for the sake of diversity.

Assholes.

by Anonymousreply 171July 28, 2018 6:48 PM

R170 Bullitt was pretty straightforward. Nothing tricky. Steve McQueen plays Bullitt a star among the SFPD detectives. He has a reputation. (Sort of like Dirty Harry but much smarter.) A Senator who is having a crime hearing has the secret witness. A big shot mobster who is going to testify and flip on the mob. It will make the politician famous. He tells the Police Chief he wants Bullit and his guys to secure his witness and make sure he show up to testify all safe and sound.

SPOILERS: Of course everything goes wrong and some hit man bursts into the rat trap where they have him hidden and he gets shot up. While he's in the hospital the hit man tries again and fails. But the guy is mortally wounded and he dies. Bullitt tells the doctor to lose his file, and they ship him to the morgue secretly and log him in as a John Doe. When the Senator comes in to get him because he thinks Bullitt and the Doctor are fucking up, the guy is gone. No one tells the Senator he's dead. The Senator grab Bullitt's boss at church and serves him a writ of habeas corpus: Produce the guy." Now, the hit man is tailing Bullitt trying to figure out where the mobster is. there's a car chase on the freeway, and the hitman dies in a car accident.

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS meanwhile Bullitt gets a lead on a woman staying at some motel. They trace her through phone calls the mobster made before he got shot. The other thing that puzzles Bullitt is that the mobster unlocked the door to his hideout which allowed the hitman to get in and shoot him and no one knows why. Come to find out, the guy who died is not the mobster. The Senator had the wrong guy. The real mobster was going to run off to Europe under a fake ID with his girlfriend. But the girlfriend is dead by the time Bullitt tracks her down. The mobster killed her. They chase him to the airport and then kill him. End of story.

by Anonymousreply 172July 28, 2018 11:32 PM

None of those movies are classic movies, r158. Not one. They’re just old.

by Anonymousreply 173July 29, 2018 4:59 PM

R172 That's more plot than a David Lean epic.

by Anonymousreply 174July 29, 2018 10:01 PM

R173 those are classics by people who enjoy old movies. If you don't enjoy anything made before 2000 that's a different story.

by Anonymousreply 175July 29, 2018 10:05 PM

I'm in my 50's. When I think of "old movies" I think of the later 30's and the 40's and 50's. I don't think of the 60s, 70,s, 80s, etc as "old." But WTF. If yu consider Steve McQueen's movies "old movies" fine. I believe some of them are classics whether you chose to recognize them as such or not.

by Anonymousreply 176July 29, 2018 10:29 PM

I think old people are cunts

by Anonymousreply 177July 29, 2018 10:42 PM

You are a cunt, r177. I know it. I don't think it.

by Anonymousreply 178July 29, 2018 10:43 PM

Ali MacGraw cheated on princess tiny meat with Bob Evans a known swordsman. Steve had typical little dick syndrome....angry and a drunkard. Absolutely classic.

by Anonymousreply 179July 30, 2018 3:25 AM

Why would you say that, R179. He had a horrible upbringing. Horrible. A lot of abuse emotional and physical. I seriously doubt he knew how to build or maintain any relationships.

by Anonymousreply 180July 30, 2018 4:02 AM

It is what it is.

by Anonymousreply 181September 4, 2018 5:28 AM

Uggh.....the only movie star my dad actually followed, and liked.

by Anonymousreply 182September 4, 2018 5:34 AM

Thought I saw him in a picture of civil rights marchers in the 60's.

by Anonymousreply 183September 4, 2018 5:41 AM

OP, why did you start the second paragraph with "However"? That implies a paradox. There was none.

by Anonymousreply 184September 4, 2018 7:49 AM

BUT, OP, he was always good to his sister Butterfly.

by Anonymousreply 185September 4, 2018 7:53 AM

Always looked like a constipated turtle.

by Anonymousreply 186September 4, 2018 8:53 AM

I remember that movie 'The Hunter.' I also remember reading that he got Lavar Burton a job in the movie as his sidekick.....replacing a dog. Such were conditions for black actors. Doesn't sound racist to me.

by Anonymousreply 187September 4, 2018 9:25 AM

Very charismatic but fucked by a miserable youth that he would never get over. Still he was pretty fortunate to have all that money and those beautiful women. He got some joy out of life.

Instead of a lot of us who had miserable youths we'll never get over and can barely scrape by, are not charismatic and pretty much alone.

by Anonymousreply 188September 4, 2018 9:26 AM

How long has he been dead, OP? Get on with your life.

by Anonymousreply 189September 4, 2018 9:40 AM

r189 Why are you on a gossip board? You forgot jealous, basement dweller, loser, poz, aspie and a few other insults.

by Anonymousreply 190September 4, 2018 10:27 AM

I would say his major contribution to film was sparing us Ali MacGraw starring in CHINATOWN and THE GREAT GATSBY.

These were projects Paramount studio head Robert Evans was developing for her, but when she left him for McQueen while filming THE GETAWAY (1972), he proceeded with other actresses.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191September 4, 2018 10:30 AM

Which makes you wonder how stupid Ali McGraw really was. She couldn't act, wasn't beautiful (the best you could call her would be "a handsome woman"), yet she had the young, handsome, wealthy, and most powerful producer in Hollywood eating out of her hand, showering her with riches and planning to star her in blockbusters.

And she left him for a gnarled-looking little movie star who admitted he was stoned every day of their relationship, who cheated on her and verbally abused her.

What the hell was up with Ali McGraw?

by Anonymousreply 192September 4, 2018 10:59 AM

He could've been in The Bodyguard (Yes the Whitbey/Kostner one)

[quote] The film was originally proposed in the mid-'70s, starring Diana Ross and Steve McQueen, but was rejected as "too controversial". The film concept was to be attempted again in the late 1970s, with Ryan O'Neal and Diana Ross cast as the leads. The project fell through after only a few months because of irreconcilable differences between O'Neal and Ross, who had been dating.

I can totally see Miss Ross as Rachel Marron. Remember those crazy eyes from Mahogany?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193September 4, 2018 11:00 AM

Some say that McQueen's cancer was caused by the asbestos in his racing jumpsuits. People thought the same thing caused Paul Newman's cancer but Paul died from Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma not Mesothelioma.

by Anonymousreply 194September 4, 2018 11:01 AM

McQueen had one of the most wretched childhoods I've ever read about, no doubt warping him for life.

by Anonymousreply 195September 4, 2018 11:15 AM

McQueen made a great film called "The Reivers".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196September 4, 2018 11:19 AM

I read it was the asbestos break pads, r194.

McQueen was one of my dad's favorites as well. Actors like McQeen, Ryan O'neal, David Carradine, and Robert Blake had the Tough Depression-Era Upbringing credentials that made my dad identify with them.

I think the vets of WWII used them as templates for how middle-aged white guys should handle themselves. My dad became a devoted fan of Weekly World News and The National Inquirer. The gossip destroyed his fandom. He kept the casual bigotry, though!

by Anonymousreply 197September 4, 2018 11:27 AM

The n word is used freely in The Reivers. Is it censored today?

Loved it as a boy. Really identified with Mitch Vogel. And to have an older friend like McQueen seemed wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 198September 4, 2018 7:53 PM

In the early 70s with the overwhelming inexplicable success of Love Story equally inexplicably McGraw became a huge star.

Nobody ever seems to talk about Love Story today like they do about such films as Chinatown or Godfather but when it opened it was like a meteor hit the earth.

And the success of that shit book! Do people still read it?

by Anonymousreply 199September 4, 2018 7:59 PM

R199 No. And neither do dinosaurs roam the Earth.

by Anonymousreply 200September 4, 2018 8:03 PM

People still read The Godfather and the book of Love Story has to be one of the all time bestsellers.

by Anonymousreply 201September 4, 2018 8:14 PM

SMQ's daughter died at 38, choking to death a few months after a successful liver transplant.

by Anonymousreply 202September 4, 2018 8:31 PM

[quote]I read it was the asbestos break pads,

McQueen himself thought it was most likely from removing asbestos from ships while he was in the Marines.

by Anonymousreply 203September 4, 2018 11:27 PM

r171, thats why I don't like trans. Theyre fkin nuts. That same ideology was applied to gay men.

by Anonymousreply 204September 5, 2018 12:15 AM

R201, within the past couple years I heard an interview with the woman who had been the inspiration for the McGraw role. Obviously, not the same ending. But a lost love.

by Anonymousreply 205September 5, 2018 12:50 AM

OP You need to give us proof about the homophobia, gay men who for some reason are in lust with this plain looking man don't care about his beating of women or cheating on them (Alli McGraw basically said that not only did he make her give up her career for him but he also cheated on her a lot).

by Anonymousreply 206September 5, 2018 12:56 AM

Lol I now see why gay men loved him, "contemptuous of women and often violent to them" according to his son.

He wasn't perfect and a jacked up life even when he was rich and famous. Sexy (by white people's standards), big cock, damaged.....an average gay man's fantasy lol!

by Anonymousreply 207September 5, 2018 1:05 AM

"Steven McQueen was filled with hate". End of story.

by Anonymousreply 208September 5, 2018 1:09 AM

Was just about bearable when costarring with the great Lee Remick.

by Anonymousreply 209September 5, 2018 2:52 AM

R18 is correct. Straight men don’t think of gay men at all let alone develop a hatred for them. They don’t care.

by Anonymousreply 210September 5, 2018 3:18 AM

WHET to his hunky grandson - the one from the vampire show?

by Anonymousreply 211September 5, 2018 3:24 AM

Never cared for the poor little bitch on camera.

He sounds as though he endured terrible abuse as a child, I never knew.

No therapy other than booze, motorcycles, and cars?

by Anonymousreply 212September 5, 2018 3:25 AM

'an average gay man's fantasy lol!'

And obviously the fantasy of many women and straight men as well.

by Anonymousreply 213September 5, 2018 3:30 AM

r207 Lol! Your pussy stinks. Lol! Lol!

by Anonymousreply 214September 5, 2018 3:37 AM

[quote]r202 SMQ's daughter died at 38, choking to death a few months after a successful liver transplant.

Was it on a ham sandwich ? ? ?

by Anonymousreply 215September 5, 2018 5:05 AM

He’d be hangin with James Woods.

by Anonymousreply 216September 5, 2018 5:39 AM

[quote]Steve McQueen hated gay men

Really?

What name did he use when he posted on the DL?

by Anonymousreply 217September 5, 2018 5:40 AM

If he stopped in at a Sear's portrait studio, chances are that he stopped in at a bath house.

by Anonymousreply 218September 5, 2018 6:53 AM

That’s what they always say.

by Anonymousreply 219September 5, 2018 7:30 AM

He slept with Sinatra to get his role in Never so Few. Then Lollobrigida demanded he sleep with her.

by Anonymousreply 220September 5, 2018 9:13 AM

R191 is spot on. McGraw was a TERRIBLE actress, and McQueen wasn't too far behind.

ZERO charisma, ZERO emotion, and all the sec appeal of a middle-aged certified public accountant.

by Anonymousreply 221May 11, 2020 4:29 PM

And yes, he hated gay men because he was accused of being a closet case.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222May 11, 2020 4:30 PM

"I always thought his wife, Neile Adams, was sort of homely. Almost boyish in her looks"

You must not be familiar with hairstyles of the time, R38. Neile was very attractive, and being Asian, she looks better with a short do than with something long as per a gay fantasy of what an attractive woman must look like. Of course, she eventually ruined her looks with plastic surgery.

I've only seen a few McQueen movies (Bullitt, The Great Escape, The Getaway and The Thomas Crown Affair), and I never got his appeal. He was adequate in those roles and had an unusual face. He was also trailer trash, and I'm not surprised that he wasn't enlightened on gay/civil rights issues. I don't expect movie actors to be well read or intelligent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223May 11, 2020 4:50 PM

Steve McQueen was a culture icon. He was seen as masculine and macho. He's mentioned in A Chorus Line as an opposite of Robert Goulet.

"Bob Goulet out. Steve McQueen in."

by Anonymousreply 224May 11, 2020 5:50 PM

I love watching him as Josh Randal in 'Wanted Dead Or Alive' every Saturday on METV

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225May 11, 2020 7:17 PM

That's a very respectable soft pecker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226May 11, 2020 7:19 PM

I like watching him as Josh Randall on 'Wanted Dead Or Alive' every Saturday on METV.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227May 11, 2020 7:36 PM

Always hated his voice and his dry, lined, freckly face--but especially hated his lips/mouth. Always looked like he'd eaten five giant bags of extra-salty potato chips and pickled pig lips every day of his life.

Never understood his appeal. And to the poster who loved The Reivers, God love ya, but that was a twofer of dried-looking actor ugliness, because I've always hated Mitch Vogel's face as much as I do McQueen's.

by Anonymousreply 228May 11, 2020 7:53 PM

I always like this Vogue (or Harpers) cover pic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229May 12, 2020 12:17 AM

He was gay, not bi. He was the type to watch men have sex with women etc.. I didn't know he was raped etc but straight guys don't get raped. For ex, victims of Michael Jackson and priest etc are gay. First clue someone is gay is if they claim they were molested by man.

by Anonymousreply 230May 12, 2020 2:40 AM

What about the children?

by Anonymousreply 231May 12, 2020 2:52 AM

Steve McQueen was nothing but an evil white devil, just like John Wayne. Both of them Evil White Devils, and I guess you could throw Jimmy Stewart in there too. All three of them, Evil White Devils.

by Anonymousreply 232May 12, 2020 3:41 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!