Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Heathers" is getting a tv reboot that Dataloungers will flock to see

TV Land's take is described as a black comedy that takes place in the present day. It features a new set of popular-yet-evil Heathers — only this time the outcasts have become high school royalty. Heather McNamara (originally played by Lisanne Falk) is a black lesbian; Heather Duke (Shannen Doherty) is a male who identifies as gender-queer whose real name is Heath; and Heather Chandler (Kim Walker) has a body like Martha Dumptruck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90April 1, 2019 7:32 PM

Delusional fantasy wish fulfillment.

How would such people ever become popular in any school.

High school royalty? Hardly.

by Anonymousreply 1March 16, 2016 8:50 PM

Will Christian Slater play the principal?

by Anonymousreply 2March 17, 2016 12:00 AM

Exactly R1. It reminds me of shows in which the schlubby nerdy character who is an obvious stand-in for the schlubby nerdy writer is mysteriously appealing to leggy modelesque women: reality fail, obvious wish-fulfillment. The reason Heathers played so well with young people was that it hit a real nerve in its depiction of cliques and popularity. This scenario...who the hell do they think this will fly with??

by Anonymousreply 3March 17, 2016 12:02 AM

My thoughts when I heard the news:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4March 17, 2016 4:01 AM

Well maybe Winona will get some work playing a guidance counselor or something.

by Anonymousreply 5March 17, 2016 4:14 AM

Rebel Wilson to play Marta dump truck

by Anonymousreply 6March 17, 2016 4:19 AM

How very

by Anonymousreply 7March 17, 2016 5:00 AM

[quote]Heather McNamara (originally played by Lisanne Falk) is a black lesbian; Heather Duke (Shannen Doherty) is a male who identifies as gender-queer whose real name is Heath; and Heather Chandler (Kim Walker) has a body like Martha Dumptruck.

So they're tumblrizing it.

by Anonymousreply 8March 17, 2016 5:51 AM

A basic cable version of Heathers. That'll work well.

by Anonymousreply 9March 17, 2016 10:24 AM

It'll make "Fetch" happen

by Anonymousreply 10March 17, 2016 12:08 PM

Will be cancelled very quickly.

by Anonymousreply 11March 17, 2016 12:21 PM

Update, for what it's worth

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 28, 2016 5:43 PM

Same concept as the new Ghostbusters remake

It will flop

by Anonymousreply 13October 28, 2016 5:49 PM

This is going to be a mess.

by Anonymousreply 14October 28, 2016 5:53 PM

It's a TVLand project, which means it will be a barely noticed blip on the Popculture radar.

by Anonymousreply 15October 28, 2016 6:04 PM

Fuck me gently with a chainsaw.

by Anonymousreply 16October 28, 2016 6:08 PM

Originally, there was to be a sequel, possibly a television show (?) with Winona Ryder reprising her role as an adult with a daughter who faces a group like the Heathers called The Ashleys. That sounds like it would have been a far far better idea than this SJW crap. What will they do about the bombing of the school? Will they have Jack simply write a manifesto and deliver it on Youtube?

by Anonymousreply 17October 28, 2016 6:13 PM

I like TV Land's Younger and Impastor. Mocking SJWs could be risky though. They don't like to be made fun of and they use social media to get their angry voice heard. Emma Roberts as Chanel Oberlin in Scream Queens works and is entertaining, because she is the traditional version of a mean Heather.

by Anonymousreply 18October 28, 2016 6:15 PM

Oh good god.

This movie will be a suicide. No note.

by Anonymousreply 19October 28, 2016 6:16 PM

That actually sounds like a lot of modern, middle class high schools. It's no longer the 80s, Datalounge queens.

by Anonymousreply 20October 28, 2016 6:18 PM

R16, of course! It will be something that the "genderqueer" Heath/er will say, campily, and will be the catchphrase of the film. #FuckMeGentlyWithAChainsaw will trend. There will be coffee mugs with this on it for cradling.

Will they have the 2 football players actually be gay lovers? They won't have the site gag of the Joan Crawford postcards and the cops pulling out the mineral water, which will finally clue everyone that the guys are gay?

They will, basically, have to rewrite the whole film. Nothing in the original script is sanitized enough for the trigger-warning generation.

by Anonymousreply 21October 28, 2016 6:20 PM

Great, R20! Since this is the way things are now, Why can't they stop mining the 80s for their modern films? I would think all these "important voices needing to be heard" would be writing scripts about their experiences rather than having themselves caricatured and pasted onto these "outdated from the 80s", tired shopworn films that no one, except us 38 year old eldergays, watch anymore.

by Anonymousreply 22October 28, 2016 6:25 PM

I don't understand why they didn't go for the nostalgia effect? It worked wonders for Netflix's Stranger Things. Is it too expensive to set the story in the 80s?

by Anonymousreply 23October 28, 2016 6:28 PM

R12 Ugh. The one on the left looks like Ellie Krieger.

Not everything needs to be diversificated.

by Anonymousreply 24October 28, 2016 6:48 PM

[Quote] diversificated.

What???

by Anonymousreply 25October 28, 2016 6:51 PM

This is actually happening? Lord almighty. The premise sounds fucking diabolical and ridiculous. There's modernising and then there's blatant pandering.

by Anonymousreply 26October 28, 2016 6:52 PM

Raiders of the Lost Ark remake notes: those dudes with swords, are they all Arabic? Assassins is a loaded term. Let's make at least one a European-looking blond.

Also, do all the Nazi's have to stick with the whole "evil" thing? How about a reluctant hottie from the Reich who falls for Indy's charms and becomes a heroine!

by Anonymousreply 27October 28, 2016 7:01 PM

What is your damage, TV Land?

by Anonymousreply 28October 28, 2016 8:24 PM

Why is TV Land pulling my dick?

by Anonymousreply 29October 28, 2016 9:09 PM

It makes no sense on so many levels, including on the basic level of the title. "Heather" is not a ubiquitous name for girls anymore the way it was in 1988.

by Anonymousreply 30October 28, 2016 9:33 PM

R30 is right. It should be either "Madysynnes" or "Shap'ostrpofees" (the "ee" is silent).

by Anonymousreply 31October 28, 2016 9:46 PM

If they wanted to update it, the "Heathers" should all be social media queens and instagram models.

by Anonymousreply 32October 29, 2016 12:39 AM

That actually a great idea, R32.

by Anonymousreply 33October 29, 2016 12:48 AM

Sumner Redstone just lost a few more brain cells. He's down to about six by now.

by Anonymousreply 34October 29, 2016 1:13 AM

Thanks, R33. They could still have some fun sending up the SJWs - but the Queen Bees should remain the Queen Bees!

by Anonymousreply 35October 29, 2016 8:22 PM

So, who plays Veronica in this shit show?

What are they doing? Are they mocking the mainstreaming of SJWism?

You do see a lot of stories on tranny kids who become the prom queen/king, or homecoming princess of their school in Bumfuck, Michigan. I always wonder how the kids who don't participate in these events feel, and for that matter, what the kids in the area's even more backwards, neighboring district think.

Don't get me wrong---I think that any lesson you can teach on tolerance is a good one. I just question the media coverage. Is this actually how things are, or are these schools the outliers?

by Anonymousreply 36October 29, 2016 9:54 PM

I don't get it. Is the concept that the black lesbian, the MTF, and the fat girl bully and coerce the other kids by screaming "oppression/racism/homophobia/transphobia/sizeism" whenever the other kids don't agree with them and/or do whatever they say?

by Anonymousreply 37October 29, 2016 10:05 PM

There are some things that can't be rebooted. The only way I'd watch this is if Bob Goldthwait wrote and directed it.

by Anonymousreply 38October 29, 2016 10:16 PM

I was moved that she used the word "myriad" correctly in her suicide note!

by Anonymousreply 39October 30, 2016 2:44 PM

I didn't like the movie that much, but did like the head Heather, Heather Chandler. She got killed off fast in the movie, the series could improve on that by not killing her. Kill a more boring character instead.

by Anonymousreply 40October 31, 2016 4:29 AM

Trailer is out.

Premieres March 7th on the Paramount Network.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41January 19, 2018 1:45 AM

Some info on the Paramount channel as the OP refers to TV Land:

[quote]Paramount Network is the result of re-branding Spike TV. The re-launched channel will include both scripted and unscripted programming, shifting content from a portfolio of Viacom brands, including TV Land, BET, Comedy Central, MTV, Nick Jr., and Nickelodeon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42January 19, 2018 1:45 AM

I will not be watching. They are advocating the transing of a gay teenager. That's homophobic beyond belief. This is backtracking.

by Anonymousreply 43January 19, 2018 1:48 AM

THIS IS AN ABORTION. You do not besmirch a certified classic this way.

I pray that everyone involved in this sacrilege dies in a massive on-set grease fire.

by Anonymousreply 44January 19, 2018 1:54 AM

[quote]I pray that everyone involved in this sacrilege dies in a massive on-set grease fire.

Let's have a DL meetup to set that fire.

by Anonymousreply 45January 19, 2018 1:56 AM

Looks like a mess.

Who does Shannen play in it? She actually looks good.

Selma Blair on the other hand looks like shit.

by Anonymousreply 46January 19, 2018 2:00 AM

R28 shows what you know. My teenage and 20 somethings nieces and nephews all love this movie. Its a classic,like Clueless. Wich they also love.

by Anonymousreply 47January 19, 2018 2:01 AM

Also, to touch on something someone mentioned above. There were a few ideas for sequels to the film.

One included having a grown up Veronica deal with the Heathers in a corporate setting.

by Anonymousreply 48January 19, 2018 2:01 AM

[quote] Heather McNamara (originally played by Lisanne Falk) is a black lesbian; Heather Duke (Shannen Doherty) is a male who identifies as gender-queer whose real name is Heath; and Heather Chandler (Kim Walker) has a body like Martha Dumptruck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49January 19, 2018 2:16 AM

High school royalty = box office poison!

by Anonymousreply 50January 19, 2018 2:25 AM

So, since they're killing off the "weird" kids this time, does that man it's some anti-PC message or something? I'm trying to figure out the angle. Since the popular kids are no longer the vicious bimbos of the film, are we still supposed to root for Veronica and JD? Is JD some sort of conservative warrior now with an agenda to kill all the "weirdos"?

I'm really trying to figure this one out. I can't figure out if it's mocking the P.C./genderqueer generation or embracing it by making them the "most feared" of the school.

by Anonymousreply 51January 19, 2018 2:32 AM

I think it's the latter. I wonder too, if it's kind of making the statement that all high school kids are capable of being mean. I don't think I'm going to watch though.

by Anonymousreply 52January 19, 2018 2:55 AM

They always have to fuck everything up

by Anonymousreply 53January 19, 2018 3:06 AM

r3 I know! That shit is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 54January 19, 2018 5:58 AM

"Fat girls can be popular, the asians, the gender neutral"..."Gays and Jews are over".

by Anonymousreply 55January 19, 2018 6:43 AM

It makes sense - the weird kids have taken over on Twitter by shouting down and bullying anyone who doesn't agree with them.

by Anonymousreply 56January 19, 2018 8:45 AM

Veronica would never call anyone fat even mean Heather.

by Anonymousreply 57January 19, 2018 8:46 AM

I wonder if Selma is playigingbthe role that Winona turned down.

Dump truck will be played by someone beautiful and skinny.

by Anonymousreply 58January 19, 2018 8:49 AM

So basically it is Tumblr: The Show

by Anonymousreply 59January 19, 2018 8:52 AM

Do you hear me? I love him! I love my dead gay son!

by Anonymousreply 60January 19, 2018 8:53 PM

According to the showrunner he changed the Heathers because:

[quote]“The main thing to really take away is I don’t view the Heathers as the villains,” showrunner Jason Micallef told EW. “The three Heathers are incredibly powerful and ruling the school; they’re the people you would want to be. In the original film, the Heathers were the ones I always loved, and it’s the same with the series. The Heathers are the aspirational characters. [That the Heathers are the villains is] the underlying thesis of the small segment of people that have an issue with it. The villain is J.D. — and that’s the same in the movie and same in our show.”

and

[quote]Continues Micallef: “The reason I changed the Heathers surface identities is I think today [the characterization] rings true. Today, all different types of people are more aspirational. People that wouldn’t have necessarily been considered the most popular kids in school in 1988 could very well be — and probably most likely are — the more popular kids today. And also because it’s a TV show, we have so much more time to explore their characters and get behind it. Of course, no one’s seen the show yet. Once they see it, I think they’ll get what we’re talking about.”

I see his point and I don't entirely disagree with it but the execution is off. R32's point is correct.

[quote]If they wanted to update it, the "Heathers" should all be social media queens and instagram models.

What this show is inadvertently doing is saying that JD believes the fat girl deserves to die and the gay kid and the lesbian deserve to fall from grace so that's what we Veronica/Us should believe. Also he misses the mark when he says he believes that these kids could be popular today, things have gotten better since we've been in school but they are still not this great at most schools.

The only thing that could save this show is if Veronica realizes that the Heathers aren't all that bad and JD is fucked up which is basically what happened at the end of Mean GIrls when everyone became "friends."

by Anonymousreply 61January 20, 2018 11:31 AM

Well, in the original Winona R.'s character turns on Christian S.' character. So the new showrunner isn't that far off that the original wasn't about siding with Veronica and JD killing off the Heathers. It was a dark comedy after all.

by Anonymousreply 62January 20, 2018 12:44 PM

What a load of horseshit

by Anonymousreply 63January 20, 2018 1:28 PM

[quote]"Gays and Jews are over".

This show is over.

by Anonymousreply 64January 20, 2018 2:08 PM

The trailer looks awful, they don’t even look like the popular kids.

by Anonymousreply 65January 20, 2018 2:46 PM

[bold]‘Heathers’ Reboot Delayed Following Parkland Shooting[/bold]

[quote]“Paramount Network’s original series “Heathers” is a satirical comedy that takes creative risks in dealing with many of society’s most challenging subjects ranging from personal identity to race and socio-economic status to gun violence,” the statement said. “While we stand firmly behind the show, in light of the recent tragic events in Florida and out of respect for the victims, their families and loved ones, we feel the right thing to do is delay the premiere until later this year.”

Unrelated but I listened to Tom&Lorenzo's podcast after this trailer had dropped and was surprised to learn DL wasn't alone in disliking it. Because those two [italic]ripped[/italic] that trailer and the changes apart viciously.

I'm not familiar with the original but couldn't this conceit of shooting your "enemies" be dropped entirely? Or is it so central to the premise that you can't possibly work around it? It just seems so needlessly cruel to my euro sensibilities.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66March 4, 2018 12:48 PM

Every review I've read eviscerates it. They should just put it into mothballs forever.

by Anonymousreply 67March 4, 2018 4:13 PM

"While we stand firmly behind the show" Really, please, you don't need to, I beg of you.

by Anonymousreply 68March 4, 2018 7:50 PM

I watched the 1st episode and it's not completely awful, but I think it's a bit tone deaf and was, more or less, a rehash of the first half hour of the original film. Look, like most of the DL, I despise the SJW trend and think they need to learn how to pick their battles and not eat their own, but I felt like they missed the mark here and fell back on old fat shaming jokes. They could have pointed out the hypocrisy of some of these types of people, but they didn't. It just came across as "don't you just hate fat people, gay kids, and black folks?" The scene between the teachers was the only one that had some genuine laughs as they tried to come to terms with what's in and what's out these days.

JD and Veronica are about as charismatic as a bottle of Smart Water. Who wants to root for them? Plus, what are we supposed to be rooting for? At least in the original, the Heathers were your typical blonde bitches who'd probably end up growing up and becoming Trump supporters. Are we supposed to want these two to take down these new Heathers when, so far, they're the only ones showing any semblance of personality?

I really don't know where the hell the series is going, but I'm pretty sure they pulled the release more due to the SJW backlash than anything else.

by Anonymousreply 69March 4, 2018 9:02 PM

July 10th.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70May 2, 2018 1:52 AM

Wow! Guess it's not dead after all. I wonder where it's going. I hated the new JD and Veronica in the pilot. So boring.

by Anonymousreply 71May 2, 2018 4:51 AM

I liked the pilot. And then it disappeared. Glad to see it is not DOA.

by Anonymousreply 72May 2, 2018 6:04 AM

It's over.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73June 2, 2018 12:03 AM

SJWs will love it, but not see how a lot of these 'diversity' type people are as arrogant and mean as the 'white privilege' brigade.

by Anonymousreply 74June 2, 2018 12:20 AM

Actually, it seems like SJW types hate the show (at least least the pilot). They hated it ever since they saw the trailers, too, because they feel it depicts the two straight white cis characters as the heroes that are bumping off all the LGBT folks and people of color. Granted, I haven't seen the rest of the series (some critics got the first 5 episodes to screen), but it sure did feel that way from the pilot episode. It felt incredibly tone deaf and, while some moments were genuinely funny, it didn't really work for me.

Fans of the original movie also seem to hate it because Veronica and J.D. are played by actors with the charisma of a wet mot and they feel like they're trying to force some kind of diversity by having the Heathers as people of color and LGBT.

This show really can't win and I think this whole school shooting thing is a big excuse to just get it off their hands and pretend like it never happened. I mean, there's just going to be 80 more school shootings in the next year anyway. Who even cares anymore?

by Anonymousreply 75June 2, 2018 12:58 AM

OP that's ridiculous. If they aren't at the top they aren't Heathers

by Anonymousreply 76June 2, 2018 1:00 AM

I couldn't finish the pilot. Too long and not funny enough. Stuff like this - especially in the era of Peak TV - needs to be snappy and relentless in its pace or don't even bother.

by Anonymousreply 77June 2, 2018 9:48 AM

[quote]Production on the 10-episode first season has long been completed and a writers room was opened months ago and has nearly completed work on a sophomore season which is tied to the first but set in a new location — and one that isn't a high school. [bold](Sources say it was set in the 1700s and was to revolve around Marie Antoinette, with most of the key stars returning in new roles.)[/bold]

WTF?! How did I manage to miss this part in the THR article? That is one coked-up writers' room.

by Anonymousreply 78June 3, 2018 7:15 AM

So it's like an AHS ripoff?

by Anonymousreply 79June 3, 2018 7:35 AM

Yes, they wanted to make it into an anthology series. But did they really think this young inexperienced cast would be able to pull that off? Because it's not as easy as it sounds.

by Anonymousreply 80June 3, 2018 7:40 AM

There is not enough cow tipping in the reboot to make this happen.

by Anonymousreply 81June 3, 2018 7:52 AM

[quote]Look, like most of the DL, I despise the SJW trend

R69, you do realize people going on about the SJWs here are mostly right wing trolls, Russian or otherwise, who also keep bitching about trans people? People who care about equality, i.e. the so-called SJWs, are mostly on our side. I was a bullied gay kid, like I'm sure many of us here were. Why the hell should I hate people who are fighting for us? Sure they sometimes go a bit overboard but guess what? I'd much rather have people fighting for equality taking it too far than right wing trolls fighting for the acceptance of calling me a fag.

by Anonymousreply 82June 3, 2018 8:05 AM

r82 You do realize that it's not just right wingers that are sick of trannies' shit right? Continue to live in an echo chamber and you will be surprised soon.

by Anonymousreply 83June 3, 2018 8:10 AM

R83, how's the weather in Moscow?

by Anonymousreply 84June 3, 2018 8:13 AM

So basically a Heather in the 80s was what we call a Becky today? This could have been a funny and relevant update if they'd gone the Becky route instead of whatever this was supposed to be.

by Anonymousreply 85June 3, 2018 8:17 AM

R84 I gotta agree with R83. I consider myself a liberal, but the far left has gone bonkers! At this point, they're really no different from the far right with their black-and-white thinking and fascist tactics.

by Anonymousreply 86October 24, 2018 11:10 PM

Heathers is my favourite movie. This reboot is an abomination. The only way I’ll watch is if there’s a very special episode where one of the richest most beautiful girl SB in the school shoves the lead fat girl’s face into a plate of fries in the caf and says “you’ve talked enough. It’s time for you and your little geek squad to stfu now.” And the rest of the school cheers and carries her out on their shoulders.

by Anonymousreply 87October 24, 2018 11:28 PM

What channel is it on ?

by Anonymousreply 88October 24, 2018 11:33 PM

It's OVAH!

One episode played, the rest were canned after the school shooting in Florida.

Cancelled.

I downloaded the ten episodes.

Look for them, you will find them.

by Anonymousreply 89October 25, 2018 3:33 AM

The reboot was entertaining enough. Very dark comedy where you enjoy most of the people getting killed. I am surprised that TV Land was interested in airing something that edgy. It should've been a Netflix show and maybe it would have become a cult hit like the original or the TV show YOU (originally from Lifetime).

by Anonymousreply 90April 1, 2019 7:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!