Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Anthony Godby Johnson

Hoax or Horror???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20March 18, 2019 9:43 AM

Of course it was a hoax.

by Anonymousreply 1March 4, 2016 8:02 PM

Maybe it was Augusten Burrough's first draft for "Running With Scissors"

by Anonymousreply 2March 4, 2016 8:10 PM

r1

Based on what? Maybe she changed the story to protect the privacy, that is why the details don't jive. For instance, she could've changed Philadelphia to NYC and so forth.

by Anonymousreply 3March 4, 2016 8:24 PM

[quote]Based on what? Maybe she changed the story to protect the privacy, that is why the details don't jive. For instance, she could've changed Philadelphia to NYC and so forth.

For one thing, he disappeared after the woman died.

by Anonymousreply 4March 4, 2016 8:31 PM

I don't understand. Why not just write it as fiction?

by Anonymousreply 5March 4, 2016 8:34 PM

Paul Monette and Armistead Maupin were suckers!

by Anonymousreply 6March 4, 2016 8:37 PM

This is some WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF? shit. Didn't they also invent a son in that play/movie?

by Anonymousreply 7March 4, 2016 8:38 PM

R3 and the fact that no one but Vicki Johnson had met or seen this kid.

by Anonymousreply 8March 4, 2016 8:38 PM

[quote]Paul Monette and Armistead Maupin were suckers!

And Keith Olbermann.

by Anonymousreply 9March 4, 2016 8:40 PM

One of the original classic Catfishers ...... not many like this one ended up with a book deal .... and a book/movie based on them (Armistead Maupin's 'The Night Listener')

by Anonymousreply 10March 4, 2016 10:08 PM

Criminal Intent did an excellent episode based on this. They changed the little boy to a little girl and the disease from AIDS to Lou Gehrig's disease, but the outline of the story was the same.

by Anonymousreply 11March 4, 2016 11:02 PM

[quote] This is some WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF? shit. Didn't they also invent a son in that play/movie?

I think the dead son was in the play and movie.

by Anonymousreply 12March 5, 2016 1:09 AM

R12 yeah, but he never existed, right? It was just a game between George and Martha.

by Anonymousreply 13March 5, 2016 1:35 AM

[quote]yeah, but he [George and Martha's son] never existed, right? It was just a game between George and Martha.

That's the most commonly accepted interpretation, R13 , but the play is slightly ambiguous and a few people have argued otherwise.

Or I;m full of shit, whichever.

by Anonymousreply 14March 5, 2016 1:54 AM

I remember the 20/20 episode on this and I read The Night Listener sometime after that. The linked article lists this hoax and other similar hoaxes. I remembered the Joey addict hoax from the 80s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15March 5, 2016 2:32 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 16May 28, 2017 3:52 PM

I think the mother is still alive.

by Anonymousreply 17May 28, 2017 3:53 PM

R17 Yeah. I'm doubting this sick cunt is actually dead too unless we see a death certificate.

by Anonymousreply 18March 18, 2019 9:27 AM

I'm always fascinated by these types of hoaxes (and this certainly was one). R5, I think the motivation for these sorts of things is the particular type of attention that the perpetuator of the hoax gets, which wouldn't be the same if they wrote a fictional story.

Interesting idea that the mother may not be dead...

by Anonymousreply 19March 18, 2019 9:38 AM

When I watched the documentary on JT Leroy, it struck me how similar the story was in many ways to this one. Of course, it was taken much further.

by Anonymousreply 20March 18, 2019 9:43 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!