Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Paul Rudd, Steve Coogan to Play Married Couple in "An Ideal Home"

Paul Rudd and Steve Coogan will star in dramedy An Ideal Home, directed by Andrew Fleming.

Rudd and Coogan, who previously worked together on 2011's Our Idiot Brother, will star as a troubled married couple with an extravagant life. Coogan plays a celebrity while Rudd is his more hesitant partner and sidekick. But when the grandson that Coogan's character never knew he had shows up at their home with nowhere else to go, the couple reluctantly decide to take him in.

Fleming wrote the script for An Ideal Home, which Remstar Studios and National Bank of Canada are co-financing. Fortitude International is selling in Berlin, and UTA Independent Film Group is handling domestic rights.

Gabriella Tana, Maria Theresa Arida, Maxime Remillard and Aaron Ryder are producing while Clark Peterson and Lisa Wolofsky will executive produce.

"Comedy stalwarts Paul Rudd and Steve Coogan are reuniting on the big screen as a squabbling married couple in Andrew’s endearing and hilarious script about modern family and we are delighted to present this charming film to buyers at EFM," said Fortitude’s Nadine De Barros.

Rudd recently starred in and co-wrote Marvel's latest superhero film. Ant-Man, which earned more than $500 million worldwide and has a sequel in the works for 2018. He'll reprise the character in Captain America: Civil War, which opens in theaters in the U.S. in May. He'll next work on Duncan Jones’ Mute and is repped by UTA, Lighthouse Management & Media and Jackoway Tyerman.

Coogan received two Oscar nominations for best film and best adapted screenplay for Philomena, which he also starred in. Next he'll be seen in The Dinner with Richard Gere, which is selling in Berlin, and Warren Beatty’s new untitled film. He’s repped by CAA and Independent Talent Group.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75August 19, 2018 10:03 AM

Coogan's quite funny... very dry... loved him in Philomena.

by Anonymousreply 1February 13, 2016 12:54 PM

Fuck this movie. Couldn't they have cast a REAL sidekick?

by Anonymousreply 2February 13, 2016 2:16 PM

I hope there are a lot of scenes where Paul Rudd and Steve Coogan kiss and make out!

by Anonymousreply 3February 13, 2016 2:49 PM

The whole "long-lost/unknown child/grandchild shows up at door with nowhere else to go" scenario has been so overplayed. It's embarrassing that anyone in the industry would even suggest such a thing these days.

by Anonymousreply 4February 13, 2016 4:14 PM

How typical of them to cast straight actors in gay roles. They already don't want gay actors in straight roles, so why not at least give gay actors the gay roles?

by Anonymousreply 5February 13, 2016 4:47 PM

Jake McDorman is playing Steve Coogan's son (who loses custody of the grandson).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 2, 2016 3:41 PM

Anybody been to the Dragon Room Lounge in Santa Fe?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 2, 2016 3:43 PM

Gayface! Gayface!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 2, 2016 3:52 PM

Sounds likes utter shit. I can't believe my tax dollars are financing this crap.

by Anonymousreply 9July 2, 2016 4:13 PM

Cute Paul Rudd could do much better than Coogan IRL.

by Anonymousreply 10July 2, 2016 4:17 PM

Which one is the top?

by Anonymousreply 11July 2, 2016 4:21 PM

Endearing and hilarious?. Sounds banal.

by Anonymousreply 12July 2, 2016 4:32 PM

Neil Patrick Harris and Matt Bomer weren't available?

by Anonymousreply 13July 2, 2016 5:12 PM

NPH and Matt are still too young for the premise. I trust Andrew Fleming, always enjoyed his films.

by Anonymousreply 14July 2, 2016 8:35 PM

cuties

by Anonymousreply 15July 2, 2016 9:02 PM

The Neil Patrick Harris/David Burtka story

by Anonymousreply 16July 2, 2016 9:05 PM

Rudd makes mediocre films with the most unsubtle titles. Role Models, Dinner for Schmucks, This is 40....the titles alone should tell you how boring and one-note he is as a comic actor. Him, Seth Rogen, Melissa McCarthy, they all suck.

by Anonymousreply 17July 2, 2016 9:11 PM

More gay characters being played by straight actors who are "so brave" to pretend they are gay for the camera...

by Anonymousreply 18July 2, 2016 9:15 PM

"about modern family"

How subliminal.

by Anonymousreply 19July 2, 2016 9:22 PM

Rudd's not straight

by Anonymousreply 20July 2, 2016 9:24 PM

I realize that he's a big star in the UK but the appeal of Steve Coogan aludes me entirely. Same with Russell Brand.

Paul Rudd is boring and not half as cute as he thinks he is.

by Anonymousreply 21July 2, 2016 9:27 PM

So it's the story of a bisexual man coupled with a man of as yet indeterminate sexuality and their wacky adventures?

by Anonymousreply 22July 2, 2016 10:17 PM

[quote]The whole "long-lost/unknown child/grandchild shows up at door with nowhere else to go" scenario has been so overplayed. It's embarrassing that anyone in the industry would even suggest such a thing these days.

Everyone knows that the gays can't help but dive into vagina every now and then.

by Anonymousreply 23July 2, 2016 10:19 PM

Rudd already played gay in "The Object of My Affection."

by Anonymousreply 24July 2, 2016 11:06 PM

Yes to Rudd, but old man Coogan? Ewww

I guess there won't be hot sex scenes if Coogan is in it. Couldn't they cast a handsome man?

by Anonymousreply 25July 2, 2016 11:10 PM

Now, if they'd cast Mark Strong or Colin Firth instead of Coogan...

by Anonymousreply 26July 3, 2016 1:50 AM

Coogan can be quite charming. I enjoyed his culinary tour in Italy with Rob Brydon in The Trip a lot.

by Anonymousreply 27July 3, 2016 1:55 AM

Why don't they call it "MIXED NUTS"!!!! Oh wait, another Nora Ephron movie got that title

by Anonymousreply 28July 3, 2016 1:59 AM

I loved him in that movie where he played a club owner/record producer in... Manchester? Birmingham? Completely dozy.

by Anonymousreply 29July 3, 2016 2:43 AM

24 Hour Party People, he really had a great performance as Tony Wilson. If you were ever into post-punk, industrial, Manchester music it is a film you should see. It was streaming free on Amazon Instant Video when I looked for it a couple of days ago.

by Anonymousreply 30July 3, 2016 4:04 PM

Aren't there wild stories about Coogan? Wild as in - he was dating Courtney Love but he was too kinky and depraved for her. No, I'm not joking.

by Anonymousreply 31July 3, 2016 4:14 PM

Yes, lots of rumors, but it's hard to tell with someone like Courtney as the main source of the rumors. I'd say he's led a full life with many pleasurable experiences.

The pictures of the filming of Ideal Home that are on different instagram accounts look amazing - wild west gay aesthetic, luxurious sunsets, poolside tan legs. It reminds me a bit of REM's "Man on the Moon" video with a bit of The Birdcage. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

by Anonymousreply 32July 3, 2016 7:50 PM

[quote] I'd say he's led a full life with many pleasurable experiences.

In other words, you're saying nothing at all. Thanks for stopping by.

by Anonymousreply 33July 3, 2016 7:55 PM

You're welcome, R33!

by Anonymousreply 34July 3, 2016 7:58 PM

Trailer's out.

And my god, Rudd has never looked hotter. He really should sport that beard and that haircut all the time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35April 9, 2018 11:41 PM

Thank you so much R35 I already love this and can't wait to see it.

by Anonymousreply 36April 9, 2018 11:46 PM

Looks delightfully cunty

by Anonymousreply 37April 9, 2018 11:50 PM

Another gay movie starring straight men

by Anonymousreply 38April 9, 2018 11:54 PM

This sounds like the plot of Coogan's 2012 movie What Maisie Knew, which was based on a Henry James novel.

by Anonymousreply 39April 9, 2018 11:56 PM

Looks hilarious in a juvenile way (Oh no! Our relationship can't handle taking care for a kid! ... OMG! We love taking care of this kid! We can't imagine our lives without him!").

Not everthing gay related must be high brow entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 40April 9, 2018 11:58 PM

Why didn't Alan Partridge catch on the US? Coogan is hilarious. I thought The Trip was boring though.

by Anonymousreply 41April 10, 2018 12:04 AM

"Not everthing gay related must be high brow entertainment. "

Or legible.

by Anonymousreply 42April 10, 2018 12:11 AM

Wow, Rudd has never looked better. He is a hot daddy.

by Anonymousreply 43April 10, 2018 12:37 AM

Gay as punchline for an hour and a half? Oh, joy.

by Anonymousreply 44April 10, 2018 1:12 AM

This is your regular reminder that the whole world is not at L.A. levels of gay acceptance yet so even crude humour like this has its place in advancing said acceptance.

by Anonymousreply 45April 10, 2018 1:18 AM

Steve Coogan co-wrote Philomena and gave a lovely performance in that film (and while based on a true story, it was very empathetic to its gay characters). And Andrew Fleming gave us The Craft and Dick. I am looking forward to this one.

by Anonymousreply 46April 10, 2018 2:23 AM

Looks like fun. I'm there. And yes, Paul looks good, though I could do without the beard.

by Anonymousreply 47April 10, 2018 3:13 AM

R45, this is your regular reminder that no one outside of LA, SF or NYC will watch this tripe in a theatre.

by Anonymousreply 48April 10, 2018 4:10 AM

Actually, R48, I could see some straight couples in the conservative west and southeast going to see this for funsies. It has cowboy and cooking show all over it. Ina Garten, Paula Deen, that Frontier cooking woman with the stuff all over Walmart, and the Queer Eye for the Straight Guy popularity of a few years ago. Things like this have their audience and the trailer shows that this movie will be in dialogue with those things.

by Anonymousreply 49April 10, 2018 10:29 AM

Ugh, it’s like something the creators of Will and Grace would have made fifteen years ago.

by Anonymousreply 50April 10, 2018 10:49 AM

I think Andrew Fleming is more subtle than what you might be getting from the trailer. (And let's not be dismissive of the positive sociological change that Will and Grace brought about even after it was first critiqued for "stereotyping.")

by Anonymousreply 51April 10, 2018 11:01 AM

Alison Pill really should have better work. She’s talented.

by Anonymousreply 52April 10, 2018 11:07 AM

gay clowns

by Anonymousreply 53April 10, 2018 11:27 AM

Damn I’ve never thought of Rudd as sexy but he sure is in that trailer - the beard looks great on him

by Anonymousreply 54April 10, 2018 11:41 AM

Yawn, being gay played for laughs, how original. Pile of shite.

by Anonymousreply 55April 10, 2018 11:46 AM

They should bring Appatow & Rogan aboard and saturate it with "you know how I know you're Gay" jokes!

by Anonymousreply 56April 10, 2018 11:51 AM

I love that there is a little bit of "Vicious" dynamic between the gay couple (sniping at each other).

by Anonymousreply 57April 10, 2018 11:54 AM

The red band trailer was released exclusively on DigitalSpy. Lovely ass shot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58May 10, 2018 5:03 PM

Poster.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59May 10, 2018 5:03 PM

Trailer was all over the place, but Paul looks hot.

by Anonymousreply 60May 10, 2018 5:28 PM

I'm a fan of Rudd, but agree they should hire gay actors for gay roles. SURELY there are enough gay actors to cast. It is getting a bit ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 61May 10, 2018 11:35 PM

R11, you’ll find your answer toward the end of R58’s trailer submission.

by Anonymousreply 62May 11, 2018 12:09 AM

I thought it was a cute and sweet little movie with lots of heart and I never once got offended by anything. I had a big fat stupid smile on my face the whole time. Some genuinely laugh-out-loud moments, even though it's funny throughout.

Rudd is the hottest he's ever been and ever will be. I just want to ride that fucking face until my taint catches fire. He also references Etel Merman at one point, which immediately made me think of DL.

I don't know why but I thought this was an Australian production, but it's actually shot in New Mexico?

by Anonymousreply 63July 4, 2018 3:44 PM

I couldn't get through the first 15. Horrid.

by Anonymousreply 64July 4, 2018 3:46 PM

Looks AWFUL. Not recommending it to my friend who has to see EVERY gay movie.

by Anonymousreply 65July 4, 2018 3:52 PM

I watched it after a gay movie critic recommended it and I loved it. There's so much compassion and humanity to these characters that I didn't even notice the stereotypes. Which, of course, are rooted in reality. Just look at DL.

r65 What's with the all-caps?

by Anonymousreply 66July 4, 2018 3:58 PM

R66 Too lazy for [italic]italics[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 67July 4, 2018 4:01 PM

It felt very Lifetime movie-ish. Except for the swearing. I loved the leads bickering (very "Vicious").

PA: Why don't you leave him?

Paul: I probably will. But you know part of me wants to stick around to watch him die.

I like Jake McDorman as trashy loser trying to escape legal outhorities in his underwear getting stuck in the bathroom window.

by Anonymousreply 68July 4, 2018 4:13 PM

[quote]I like Jake McDorman.

Fixed.

by Anonymousreply 69July 4, 2018 4:17 PM

I would pay to see Paul Rudd read ads on the internet. I thing this is going to be great. Can't wait to see it!

by Anonymousreply 70July 4, 2018 4:35 PM

Totally going to see that; looks fun.

by Anonymousreply 71July 4, 2018 9:35 PM
by Anonymousreply 72August 19, 2018 7:20 AM

Plot sounds similar to the 2004 Spanish film Cachorro (Bear Cub)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73August 19, 2018 7:28 AM

For a while there, I thought Paul was never going to have much of a movie career after The Object of My Affection. And here we are 20 years later.

by Anonymousreply 74August 19, 2018 7:44 AM

So how'd you like it, r70?

by Anonymousreply 75August 19, 2018 10:03 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!