Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What can/can't you eat?

I can eat almost everything at the moment. But I used to be an ovo-vegetarian for a year (couldn't eat meat but can eat eggs).

I can't drink milk because I am lactose intolerant.

by Anonymousreply 53January 20, 2018 12:09 AM

I'm doing a vegan/gluten free thing right now and have been for a little over 6 months. I do have a gluten intolerance but the vegan thing is new. It's not that bad. I had a piece of fish about 2 months in but I didn't feel bad about it. I eat constantly but it's usually nuts, fruits and raw vegetables. I do a daily vegan protein shake every morning. My energy levels are awesome!

by Anonymousreply 1February 13, 2016 1:06 AM

OP: I have an oddly specific allergy: mussels. Nope, not shellfish. Just mussels. I can eat scallops, oysters, clams, shrimp to my heart's content. One mussel and I'm vomiting within 10 mins. The only other person I've met with this weirdly specific allergy - aside from my dad - was, funnily enough, my old boss. We couldn't believe we'd found another person with our weird allergy.

by Anonymousreply 2February 13, 2016 1:10 AM

I can eat anything, but I choose not to eat animals or birds, as a matter of conscience -- fish are OK. I also refuse to eat string beans, lima beans, kidney beans, & beets because those things are disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 3February 13, 2016 1:14 AM

I won't eat shit. Piss - very very sparingly. I don't like insects, snails, rabbit, squirrel, frog, snake, turtle, alligator

by Anonymousreply 4February 13, 2016 1:35 AM

I can't eat onion or potato chips anymore. I can eat string beans and will eat R3's serving of same.

by Anonymousreply 5February 13, 2016 2:56 AM

I can't eat the pussy

by Anonymousreply 6February 13, 2016 2:58 AM

Oh, I gave-up on seafood almost completely. I'll eat tunafish salad. Maybe salmon. Not much else,

by Anonymousreply 7February 13, 2016 2:58 AM

Shellfish and anything with Aspartame in it.

by Anonymousreply 8February 13, 2016 2:59 AM

I'm allergic to seafood. Not just shellfish as is very common but all swimmy things. I'm vegetarian on the advice of my neurologist. I have MS and a vegetarian diet is better for the blood/brain barrier. I'm not a picky eater just aware of what is healthy for me - I cook seafood and meat for my partner.

by Anonymousreply 9February 13, 2016 3:03 AM

I could eat anything until last year when I ate shrimp and a few minutes later broke out in hives all over my face and neck. I'm old so it was a surprise.

by Anonymousreply 10February 13, 2016 3:10 AM

The wind blows through me like a summer storm after I eat red meat. It's just awful and getting worse as I get older. Hot, relentless, uncontrollable, putridly sulphuric. I went to a dinner party and had steak a few nights ago and the next morning, the bedroom smelled like a Louisiana swamp in July.

Otherwise, stomach of steel.

by Anonymousreply 11February 13, 2016 3:25 AM

Cant eat: bananas, onions, mushrooms, peppers, chick peas. I reslly like them but i can't eat them.

I don't like tomatoes but will eat tomato sauces. Don't like avacados, artichokes, sardines, raw seafood, anchovies, fish sauce, gefilte fish, salmon. I like horseradish as a flavoring, but not alone.

I can eat food with a little garlic but a lot of garlic gives me instant reflux. Peppermint, butterscotch and wine also give me reflux. I once went out to eat with new friends to a place they really liked. I ordered Caesar salad and thought I was going to choke to death, therecwasxso much garlic in it. I had to go into the restroom and cough for 20 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 12February 13, 2016 3:36 AM

Ice cream gives me terrible reflux

by Anonymousreply 13February 13, 2016 3:38 AM

I can't eat more than a half a cup of pasta in a sitting, any more I woof. I also can't eat more than a small bowl of cereal and milk. Getting older blows.

by Anonymousreply 14February 13, 2016 3:45 AM

I might add that I have serious intestinal problems, to the point where I needed emergency surgery and a temp colostomy. Six members of my family on my mother's side needed the same surgery and have the same food problems. It's probably a medical condition that hasnt been discovered yet.

Weirdly, we all have the same problem with water -- it gives us a stomach ache. We can drink sips but can't swig down 64 oz a day or anything like that. Doctors think we are crazy because water is not something that should upset our innards. We agree, but still can't drink more than little sips of water here and there

We were all underweight throughout childhood and our earlier adult years but developed very fat stomachs in middle age.

by Anonymousreply 15February 13, 2016 3:45 AM

R10, have you had a cardiac stress test with radioactive dye? A friend did and can no longer eat shell fish. He had no problems prior to the test.

by Anonymousreply 16February 13, 2016 3:47 AM

(R14) I also can't drink my beloved Diet Dr Pepper. I can't take the evening gas, even with only 1 serving a day. It took aboout 3 days for the gas to stop after I went cold turkey!

by Anonymousreply 17February 13, 2016 3:49 AM

I can't eat anything over 15 years old.

by Anonymousreply 18February 13, 2016 3:52 AM

Chickpeas, peas, peanuts, lentils.

by Anonymousreply 19February 13, 2016 5:23 AM

This whole gluten free thing is so out of hand, less than 7% of people have Celiac Disease, everyone else , you need wheat and grains to prevent heat disease, lower cholesterol, fight cancer , it's so ridiculous, just like the Paleo Diet, Kale, and now the stupid cauliflower kraze, cray cray...

by Anonymousreply 20February 13, 2016 5:32 AM

No I haven't R16. I read not long ago about someone having a reaction similar to mine on undercooked shrimp. That could have been it I guess. I haven't eaten any since because the rash was pretty severe and itchy - I had to take Benadryl. I think I'll have an allergy test performed because I like shellfish every now and then.

by Anonymousreply 21February 13, 2016 5:44 AM

[quote]I also refuse to eat string beans, lima beans, kidney beans, & beets because those things are disgusting.

Are you 6?

by Anonymousreply 22February 13, 2016 5:54 AM

Can't drink apple juice on an empty stomach. The malic acid makes my stomach hurt.

by Anonymousreply 23February 13, 2016 5:56 AM

I can't eat sushi or rare meat because I'm on anti rejection meds because of a heart transplant. I hate sushi, so no big loss. But I do miss an occasional rare steak.

by Anonymousreply 24February 13, 2016 5:58 AM

Cilantro (coriander)

Even a tiny amount in a dish make it inedible to me. If I have even a few small bites I know I'll have a stomach ache later.

by Anonymousreply 25February 13, 2016 5:58 AM

I have always been able to eat or drink anything so am bummed to find that recently I have to be very careful about coffee--which I love and am used to drinking throughout the day. More than one cup in the morning and I have explosive diarrhea, horrible GERD or both. It also started giving me anxiety and tremors. Entering middle age sucks.

by Anonymousreply 26February 13, 2016 6:11 AM

too much garlic gives me the runs

by Anonymousreply 27February 13, 2016 9:04 AM

Apples ( stomach pain)

by Anonymousreply 28February 13, 2016 9:30 AM

Polonium-210

by Anonymousreply 29February 13, 2016 9:52 AM

I've been allergic to nuts all my life (born in 77), but sometime in November my lactose-intolerance light came on. At about the same time I became intolerant of raw bananas and pineapple. I can have cooked/processed foods containing them; otherwise I'll be groaning and writhing on the floor in front of the toilet for a couple of hours.

r26: COFFEE?!? NOOOOO!

by Anonymousreply 30February 13, 2016 9:59 AM

Can't eat lobster or scallops, but all other shellfish are fine. It's weird because I'm not allergic, or at least I don't think so, because I don't have an anaphylactic reaction (no itching, hives, swollen throat, etc.), just a horrible stomach ache. Someone once told me it could be related to iodine, but he wasn't a doctor.

I'm also mildly lactose intolerant. Small amounts of dairy are fine. If I have one glass of milk, no problem. If I have a second, then I have a wonky stomach and here come the silent farts that are hot on the way out and singe the sphincter. Beef also tends to give me the same kind of gas. And I cannot eat a lot of greasy food. My family has gallbladder problems. If I eat a greasy meal, I'm uncomfortable for hours afterward, so it's just not worth even trying.

Lastly, I cannot drink coffee. It feels like someone lit a match just under my heart and burns for 2 or more hours. I drink black tea instead, which I love, so I don't feel like I'm missing out on too much, but boy do I love the smell of coffee!

by Anonymousreply 31February 13, 2016 1:25 PM

Onions have started giving me gas like nobody's business

by Anonymousreply 32February 13, 2016 2:57 PM

I'm lactose intolerant but for years I took lactase pills that only did a little to reduce the gas and diarrhea.

One of the best decisions I ever made was to just stop drinking milk. My digestive system thanks me.

by Anonymousreply 33February 13, 2016 2:59 PM

Slight lactose intolerance to milk. I'm okay with cheese and other dairy but one small glass of milk and I'm in the bathroom for 30 minutes. I use a splash of half and half in my coffee though and that's fine. Other than that, I can eat anything.

by Anonymousreply 34February 13, 2016 3:03 PM

I can eat shrimp and bacon without a problem but if I eat them together in the same dish I break out in a bad case of hives.

by Anonymousreply 35February 13, 2016 3:09 PM

I can't process casein, the main dairy protein. Many people who think they are lactose intolerant are not; their problem is with casein. That's probably true for both R33 and R34. For a time, I was so sensitive to casein I couldn't eat any dairy. I abstained for a couple of years but I've gradually been able to add in a little more and now I can have grated parmesan, that kind of thing.

I love watermelon, but I can't eat the kind that has seeds. After I ended up in the ER, my doctor told me I can't digest the white strings in seeded watermelons. Last summer I bought one of those tiny seedless melons and made a pig of myself.

Green pepper hated me until I began hating it back. It gives me the nastiest tasting burps that go on for hours.

by Anonymousreply 36February 13, 2016 3:15 PM

Bi-valves. mussels, oysters, scallops, clams. Major puking with in an hour. Some one gave me a bloody mary at a party made with clam juice and it got really embarrassing. I got into a fight with a friend I was traveling with once because they wanted to go to seafood restaurants and I couldn't because of possible cross contamination issues. Excuse me for not wanting to be puking every afternoon and evening while on vacation.

Oranges give me the runs. Damn. I love oranges.

by Anonymousreply 37February 13, 2016 3:24 PM

Probiotics help a little.

by Anonymousreply 38February 13, 2016 3:32 PM

Can't eat liver. Have tried various types in many ways but as I chew it seems to get bigger in my mouth. It just won't go down. My mom told me I loved it as a kid. Beets ARE disgusting. No way on sushi, although if you batter it and deep-fry it I'll gladly eat it.

by Anonymousreply 39February 13, 2016 3:34 PM

Shrimp / Crab / Lobster / Crawfish. I break out in hives .

by Anonymousreply 40February 13, 2016 3:36 PM

I'm not partial to olives. Also, I detest spearmint. If someone is chewing wrigley's and I smell it, I want to vom. I'm ok with peppermint although it isn't a favourite. The best thing that happened to my mornings was finding cinnamon toothpaste.

by Anonymousreply 41February 13, 2016 3:42 PM

Milk gives me the squirts, but otherwise I'm not "sensitive" to anything.

by Anonymousreply 42February 13, 2016 3:45 PM

I didn't care for beets until I began roasting them. Now I love them.

by Anonymousreply 43February 13, 2016 3:49 PM

Serve beets at my wake, and I'm going claw my way out of the ground just to smack you.

by Anonymousreply 44February 13, 2016 3:51 PM

Pork and shellfish and I live in the South so I am kind of a pariah.

by Anonymousreply 45February 13, 2016 3:58 PM

Are you guys making this stuff up? How on earth would someone know they get hives from Shrimp and bacon together, but not separately? What dish includes shrimp and bacon??

A lot of you seem like such delicate flowers - and would not be fun at dinner parties.

by Anonymousreply 46February 13, 2016 5:21 PM

Last May, was sick (entero(sp?) virus, my doctor thought; half the people in my building (senior/disabled "project", in a small town) had it. I was super-sick for c. 3 days; less so for the next couple of weeks, but those first 3 days: you do NOT want to know (LOTS of time in the bathroom, ahem.) Sorry; TMI. ANYway: some things that, ahem, "repeated" when I was sick, I STILL cannot look at/eat:

TI dressing Deli sliced roast beef Hamburg Soft-boiled eggs Green peppers

(ANd no, was NOT food poisoning; the various other people in my building eat/ate a WIDE variety of foods.)

ANd I find, being "old", that fats and greasy food bother me more; used to have a cast-iron stomach. Oh, well...

by Anonymousreply 47February 13, 2016 5:32 PM

R46 Butterfly shrimp with bacon made me break out in hives, it was one of my favorite dishes at one time. Eating shrimp in any form doesn't do it neither does bacon in any dish.

by Anonymousreply 48February 14, 2016 1:57 PM

Uh, R48, you do realize that "butterfly shrimp" isn't a specific kind of shrimp, right? That's a cutting method.

by Anonymousreply 49February 14, 2016 4:33 PM

Violently allergic to fresh-water fish (why just those I have no idea)

by Anonymousreply 50February 14, 2016 4:49 PM

Have never been able to eat raw peppers--when included in small amounts in cooked foods (like Asian or Mexican) they don't bother me, but I don't enjoy them. After bariatric surgery, I found tuna salad (which I used to love) nauseated me--though I can still eat other fish and seafood. Tuna now tastes too dark and oily (even very good tuna).

by Anonymousreply 51February 14, 2016 5:47 PM

finally, there is someone else like me! i'm also ovo-vegetarian, because i'm lactose intolerant. so can't eat any meat or dairy other than eggs and ghee (clarified butter)

by Anonymousreply 52January 19, 2018 11:40 PM

I do not digest beef well at all. Guaranteed diarrhea. My ancestors where Indian so I think they punish me from beyond the grave if I eat it.

I can only have coffee and chocolate in small portions, they cause my psoriasis to flare up if I have too much. Its sucks because I love both.

I also like avocados but they give me horrible acid reflux.

by Anonymousreply 53January 20, 2018 12:09 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!