Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Roz Kelly as Pinky Tuscadero on "Happy Days"

From wikipedia.org:

"On Happy Days, Kelly played Carol "Pinky" Tuscadero, the older sister of Leather Tuscadero (singer Suzi Quatro). Just as Arthur Fonzarelli insisted on being called "Fonzie" or "the Fonz", Carol insisted on being called "Pinky", and usually dressed in attire to match. Pinky was slated to be Fonzie's long-term girlfriend after her initial appearances in episodes #64–66; commercials for the next season even began promoting Kelly's new character. When discord occurred among Kelly, the cast and producers, her character was dropped; she was only mentioned briefly in two later episodes."

Does anyone know the story here? It's hard to think of Henry Winkler having discord with anyone because he is famously so incredibly nice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40February 25, 2019 2:19 AM

I've heard she didn't get along with cast members (which ones or who knows all of them I'm not sure) and they let her go. I liked Pinky it's too bad it didn't work out it would've added something extra to the Fonzie character. Can't remember how long it was between Pinky and her sister Leather debuted but if it was short period of time some of the Pinky scripts might've had Leather saying her words minus the romantic involvement with Fonzie.

by Anonymousreply 1February 11, 2016 9:31 PM

She must have been crazy.

by Anonymousreply 2February 11, 2016 9:37 PM

She was very disliked by the everyone on the show. Winkler thought she was very brash and trashy. She supposedly mocked him and the Fonzie character in front of everyone. Fans have wanted to see her at conventions and Happy Days reunions, but other Happy Days stars have supposedly said they don't want her at them.

She was very well-received by the viewers though. She is still remembered well by fans despite being in only 3 episodes. They supposedly considered giving her a show, but figured her drama on set would be more trouble than it was worth.

She's kept a very low profile the last few decades other than her arrests. She still looked relatively good though when she showed up in court. She has some sort of disability where she has to walk with a cane. She allegedly hit a man with it once.

by Anonymousreply 3February 11, 2016 9:46 PM

The girls in elementary school loved Stinky Pinky. Even when I was a child, it was obvious Leather was a dyke, though.

Personally, I hated Pinky. She was loud, brash and had that awful fucking accent. She looked like she would have a goddamn red fucking jungle of pubes. Gross.

by Anonymousreply 4February 11, 2016 9:52 PM

Didn't she have a B.O. problem too?

by Anonymousreply 5February 11, 2016 9:58 PM

She went on to star in the so-bad-it's good New Year's Evil.

by Anonymousreply 6February 11, 2016 10:01 PM

Winkler knew her character would do to his character, what Fonzie did to Richie.

by Anonymousreply 7February 11, 2016 10:02 PM

Roz in court back in 2000.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8February 11, 2016 10:04 PM

[quote]She has some sort of disability where she has to walk with a cane.

So she's a lez?

by Anonymousreply 9February 11, 2016 10:04 PM

I've read that Roz was very difficult to work with. When the character of Pinky turned out to be popular with fans, the producers contemplated brining her back, but the cast wasn't having it. As others have mentioned, Henry Winkler has a great reputation for being easy going, and the Happy Days cast was one of the most collegial in sitcom history. I remember reading that Kelly had some problems that clearly seem like a mental illness. The crazy was already coming out in the mid-1970s.

by Anonymousreply 10February 11, 2016 10:04 PM

There was probably some real disagreement on setting up Fonzie with a steady so early in the series .... I don't think he ever had one, did he ?

Part of the Fonzie 'character' was all of the women being attracted to him and that they 'came running' at the snap of a finger.

Would've changed that element greatly.

by Anonymousreply 11February 11, 2016 10:05 PM

She's a half-Irish closet dyke and you were expecting Little Mary Sunshine?

by Anonymousreply 12February 11, 2016 10:07 PM

I'm shocked. I assumed Leather Tuscadero was the difficult one.

by Anonymousreply 13February 11, 2016 10:16 PM

Wow, she was only in 3 episodes?? Pinky made quite an impression on this gayling. I would have guessed that she was on for at least a few seasons.

She was in the Demolition Derby episode, right? It's been decades since I've seen it.

by Anonymousreply 14February 11, 2016 10:18 PM

Roz was also a photographer. Shame whatever her issues were disrupted all of that. Here's what she wrote about herself on bio on her portfolio page:

"Roz Kelly photo career started in New York City in the mid 60s and her keen eye, talent and great vibe led her to do commissioned work for New York magazine, Harpers magazine and Arts Magazine.

In fact New York Magazine gave Roz her fist photo assignment when it was still part of the World Journal Tribune and sent her to photograph the Fugs.

That followed an array of iconic names such as: Jimy Hendrix, Dustin Hoffman, Andy Warhol, Neil Diamond, Frank Zappa and the Mother of Invention, Leonard Cohen, Cream, Diane Arbus, The Fug, to name a few.

Then in the mid 70s she left the security of the New York magazine, her loft and her Big Apple friends and headed for Hollywood.

With her exotic good looks, charm and contagious personality it didn’t take long for her to appear on TV shows like: Starsky and Hutch, Kojak, Baretta, Dukes of Hazzard, The Love Boat, Fantasy Island and Charlie’s Angles. Then she landed the juicy role of Pinky Tuscarello in Happy Days. At one point she was receiving more daily fan mails than Henry “the Foz” Winkler and plenty of dates and proms invitation.

Today Ms. Roz leads a serene life in the Hollywood Hills and looking after her photo archives and playing with her cat."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15February 11, 2016 10:19 PM

In short, she was crazier than Erin Moran.

by Anonymousreply 16February 11, 2016 10:22 PM

Pinky was so popular that ABC actually renamed the Happy Days "Fonzie Loves Pinky" when the episodes re-aired later that season. I was watching some old TV show on YouTube that still had the commercials and there was a bumper for the ABC Tuesday night lineup and the show was actually called Fonzie Loves Pinky. it was just done for that night (I think they showed the 2-parter together) but it certainly goes to how popular she was.

by Anonymousreply 17February 11, 2016 10:27 PM

Fonzie and Pinkie make the big time -- magazine covers!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18February 12, 2016 12:16 AM

She was no Linda Purl.

by Anonymousreply 19February 12, 2016 1:41 AM

Roz was hated by the cast as they already lost all their screen time to Fonzie and the new if they kept Pinky that they would be written off their own show.

Jealousy was the motive not hate

by Anonymousreply 20February 12, 2016 2:11 AM

There was enough ginger on that show, with Mrs. Cunningham, Ritchie, and Ralph Mouth.

by Anonymousreply 21February 12, 2016 12:01 PM

[quote]Ralph Mouth.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 22February 12, 2016 5:12 PM

Kelly as Pinky was also a brief part of "Blansky's Beauties", ABC's second attempt at a sitcom hit for Nancy Walker. She was eliminated almost immediately as Walker hated her. Kelly had some tabloid success when she took a baseball bat to a car whose alarm wouldn't stop sounding in the middle of the night. She had problems with breast implants and was also on a court show, maybe "People's Court" with Wapner.

Weirdest casting: Before Kelly, ABC wanted Joyce DeWitt for Pinky. Luckily, that didn't happen and DeWitt got "Three's Company."

by Anonymousreply 23February 12, 2016 5:30 PM

Her character was a very big deal at the time. I was in first grade. She was a pink lady before the Grease movie came out.

The only Happy Days excitement bigger was the Joanie & Chachi phenomenon. I don't know why but we talked about it constantly. Not much else going on for Tweens at the time I guess.

by Anonymousreply 24February 12, 2016 5:38 PM

I was 9 years old and thought she was amazing.

Of course, I thought Fonzie jumping the shark on water skis was amazing too.

by Anonymousreply 25February 12, 2016 5:44 PM

She gave me plenty of nerdgasms!!!!

by Anonymousreply 26February 12, 2016 5:46 PM

Nothing tastes better than sweet gingerfish!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 27February 12, 2016 5:51 PM

Pinky could do that super-cool thing with snapping her fingers on both hands alternated with claps--everyone in my elementary school tried to imitate it.They tried to give Leather something like that by having her slap her thigh twice and then point her index finger at someone like a gun as she smiled, but it just wasn't the same thing (in required no dexterity).

The character of Leather made absolutely no sense. She was basically this friendly bull dyke who came to Milwaukee every so often to hang out with Richie and the gang, but no one acknowledged she was lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 28February 15, 2016 11:06 PM

I can do the Pinky hand clap/finger snap thing. I should whip it out at parties.

by Anonymousreply 29February 15, 2016 11:10 PM

Thanks, R22! Now I finally know Eva's husband's name.

It's RALPH, viewers!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30February 16, 2016 7:44 AM

I meant R21...I'm so excited by Mrs Mouth I got flustered and typo'd!

by Anonymousreply 31February 16, 2016 7:45 AM

R29, can't be any worse than what you whip out at parties now.

by Anonymousreply 32February 16, 2016 7:48 AM

With Rerun from What's Happening! pushing a fun Hasbro party game

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33February 16, 2016 8:22 AM

R22 the only time "oh, dear" ever made me laugh on here.

by Anonymousreply 34February 24, 2019 4:57 PM

I, too, remembered her as being in a lot of episodes. She should be proud that she made such an impression in such a short time. And she should be at the conventions as she is a fan fave.

by Anonymousreply 35February 24, 2019 5:07 PM

Henry asked for Suzi Quatro as Leather because he knew of her reputation, especially in England. The runner up was Deborah Harry. Henry made a mistake on that one but the rumors flew that Quatro had an affair with Penny Marshall.

by Anonymousreply 36February 24, 2019 5:13 PM

But you were right r25, it was the coolest.

by Anonymousreply 37February 24, 2019 5:20 PM

We called her Stinky as well. No one I knew liked her. And one friend told me not to bother watching Joanie Loves Cacky.

by Anonymousreply 38February 24, 2019 5:38 PM

On Howard Stern, Henry Winkler said that Roz Kelly stunk. Literally. He said she had very bad BO.

It's a strange thing. Henry Winkler is such a nice guy. But that is such an ungallant thing to say, even if true. She must have really rubbed people the wrong way.

by Anonymousreply 39February 25, 2019 2:16 AM

If that's all Winkler said I'm led to believe he's leaving out a lot worse.

by Anonymousreply 40February 25, 2019 2:19 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!