Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Was Viveca Lindfors a gay icon?

'The Way We Were' thread made me think of her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42May 30, 2019 5:32 PM

She was even better in Altman's A WEDDING

by Anonymousreply 1February 1, 2016 7:00 AM

The name didn't ring a bell, but her face does, at least once she was old. I liked her.

by Anonymousreply 2February 1, 2016 10:01 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 3February 10, 2016 4:06 PM

she was a goddess.

by Anonymousreply 4February 10, 2016 4:16 PM

NO.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5February 10, 2016 4:20 PM

You're obsessed with some obscure actress that no one has ever heard of.

by Anonymousreply 6February 10, 2016 4:22 PM

Was she bisexual?

by Anonymousreply 7February 10, 2016 4:25 PM

An original and mesmerizing stage presence, her roles ranged from Strindberg to Shakespeare to the musical Pal Joey. In 1962, she shared the Silver Bear for Best Actress award with Rita Gam at the Berlin Film Festival, for their performances in Tad Danielewski's "No Exit". (Yes, that Jean- Paul Sartre's play with that awful lesbian character in it...) I haven't seen the movie, but i have seen 'No Exit' on stage and i didn't appreciate it much. I found the lesbian character very annoying. Has anyone of you seen the film with Viveca?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8February 10, 2016 4:40 PM

Not even an icon for the grungy piss pigs who meet at the bathroom behind the chevron

by Anonymousreply 9February 10, 2016 4:46 PM

I liked her in the movie Girlfriends (1978), starring DL fave Melanie Mayron.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10February 10, 2016 4:53 PM

[quote]'The Way We Were' thread made me think of her.

She as good as stole that movie from Barbra.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11February 10, 2016 4:56 PM

[quote]NO.

YES!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12February 10, 2016 4:59 PM

R11 = wishful thinking

by Anonymousreply 13February 10, 2016 5:02 PM

Thanks for bumping my thread, R3 - somehow I knew this would garner a lot of attention...& I was right.

by Anonymousreply 14February 10, 2016 5:06 PM

It's even made it to the top of the Datalounge front page, with rotating pics!

OMG! I remember this. I'm sure it comes from the Vanessa Redgrave film set in Auschwitz - can't remember its name off hand....Playing For Time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15February 10, 2016 5:11 PM

I loved her in Creepshow

by Anonymousreply 16February 10, 2016 5:18 PM

Her son is Kristofer Tabori.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17February 10, 2016 5:21 PM

[quote]Her son is Kristofer Tabori.

Interesting.

He was married to English '60s icon Judy Geeson who was in gay icon & DL fave Lulu's iconic movie To Sir With Love.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18February 10, 2016 5:29 PM

Judy Geeson played Crawford's daughter in "Berserk!".

by Anonymousreply 19February 10, 2016 5:35 PM

Judy was in that horrific film 10 Rillington Place.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20February 10, 2016 5:38 PM

Viveca was once married to my friend's uncle.

by Anonymousreply 21February 10, 2016 5:39 PM

R21, tell your friend to ask his uncle how was sex with Viveca and let us know.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 10, 2016 5:47 PM

she was such a great overprotective mama bitch in VOICES, telling her daughter's suitor that her deaf daughter already had a boyfriend

Amy Irving and Michael Ontkean starred; it's a great movie.

by Anonymousreply 23February 10, 2016 5:48 PM

Viveca and Bernie Sanders in Creepshow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24February 10, 2016 5:50 PM

[quote]Amy Irving and Michael Ontkean starred; it's a great movie.

Somehow I can't get my head around the combination of words: Amy Irving + starred + great movie.

by Anonymousreply 25February 10, 2016 5:53 PM

ha, cute, R25, but check it out...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26February 10, 2016 5:58 PM

Wasn't she a school teacher in The Sure Thing?

by Anonymousreply 27February 10, 2016 6:00 PM

Go to 3:19 to check out Viveca; she's great in this scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28February 10, 2016 6:04 PM

and again at 3:12, great actress

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29February 10, 2016 6:10 PM

She was great as the gay Pontius Pilate's beard in King of Kings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30February 10, 2016 6:20 PM

[quote]Go to 3:19 to check out Viveca; she's great in this scene.

Well, she remembered her lines....not great. Your enthusiasm is though.

by Anonymousreply 31February 10, 2016 8:29 PM

[R19] I know. Could never figure out why Joan's daughter had an English accent.

by Anonymousreply 32February 10, 2016 8:32 PM

Viveca Lindfors Attacked by Young Slasher on New York Street : Crime: Veteran performer returns to the stage hours after her face and ear receive 28 stitches.

Veteran actress Viveca Lindfors, whose stage and screen career spans half a century, was slashed across the face and ear early Saturday by a member of a gang in New York's Greenwich Village. But, after leaving the hospital with 28 stitches, she managed to perform at a Saturday matinee, reading poetry with her theater troupe.

In the same neighborhood, minutes before the assault, the attacker, described by Lindfors as a white man about 19 years old, also apparently slashed Dennis Beal, 36, across the face and neck. It took 40 stitches to close his wound.

In a city where random violence often appears routine, the crime and the pluck of the actress struck a nerve. Members of the audience applauded when she appeared to read poetry less than 12 hours after being released from St. Vincent's Hospital.

"He must have taken my face in his hands and cut me at the same time," Lindfors, 69, said after the performance. " . . . It was pure violence, pure violence, and that's disturbing."

Police said Lindfors and three friends had just emerged from a condominium in Greenwich Village and were talking on the sidewalk when a group of five men and two women, by the actress' account, ran past, and the man slashed her. Police said the same man apparently cut Beal on the right side of his face from the bottom of his ear to his throat. Beal was walking on the street when what is believed to be the same gang came up behind him.

Detectives said the incidents occurred within five minutes of each other and 3 blocks apart. They said robbery apparently was not the motive.

Lindfors said the attacker was a tall white man, and other members of the racially mixed gang appeared appalled at what he had done. The attacker said nothing to the actress during the slashing, but Lindfors said one of her companions later told her that other gang members were saying: "What is he doing? What is he doing now?"

"I think the gang was not really with him on doing what he was doing," Lindfors said.

After returning home at 5:30 a.m. from the hospital, Lindfors surprised family members by getting up 4 1/2 hours later and preparing to go to the small second-floor studio near Times Square where her theater company had scheduled a poetry reading.

The gray-haired actress, who was born in Sweden and came to the United States in 1946, read several poems before talking with reporters at the end of the performance.

Shaler McClure, an actress in the production, said Lindfors had called her at home to announce that the performance was still going on.

"When I first met her for the first performance in June, I was very nervous about going on with very little rehearsal," McClure recalled. "Viveca said, 'You'll do just fine. In this business, 90% is just showing up.' And that's what she did today."

Lindfors, who has appeared in dozens of theatrical productions, motion pictures and television shows, and who is a founder of the Berkshire Theater Festival, said she went on stage "as a way of getting yourself back into normality."

"If you lie there, thinking about your . . . " She began to laugh before the sentence was completed. " . . . I don't know any other way to deal with it than to try to get my group together to do poetry and try to get yourself above it somehow."

She said she hoped the slasher's companions would turn him in. "I am just hoping people in the gang will get in touch with their morality and give him up so he can get some help.

" . . . This kid must have been very passionate, very turbulent, and if you could channel that quality into something creative, he might become a very important human being," said the actress, who has appeared in productions ranging from Shakespeare's "Twelfth Night" to "Brecht on Brecht" to "Pal Joey." She paused for just a second. "I think he is now a sad character."

by Anonymousreply 33February 10, 2016 8:37 PM

Judy Geeson's hilarious attempt at reading for an audiobook @ link.

It's pure GOLD.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34February 10, 2016 8:37 PM

[R33] I had forgotten about that! I wonder if they ever caught the guy.

by Anonymousreply 35February 10, 2016 8:44 PM

OMG! I somehow missed R33's post!! When did that assault take place, anyone know?

Even in the film 'Girlfriends' she's wearing a neck brace for part of it. I'll bet that was something to do with her real life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36February 10, 2016 8:59 PM

I think when she started her career someone called her "the Palmolive Garbo." I did not know about her attack. It certainly was a life and career of highs and lows.

by Anonymousreply 37May 30, 2019 3:58 AM

What I remember her from is Welcome to L.A.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38May 30, 2019 4:13 AM

R33 I remember her comments at the time. She was a great broad.

by Anonymousreply 39May 30, 2019 4:35 AM

Her son Kristoffer Tabori's father was her third husband, the director Don Siegel, not her fourth, the writer George Tabori.

by Anonymousreply 40May 30, 2019 4:41 AM

Year's ago, I saw Viveca Lindsfors' son, Kristoffer Tabori, in "The Shadow Box" at the Charles Playhouse in Boston. Great actor. Betsy Palmer was also in the play. She was fabulous. Also featured Frank Converse. Great cast.

by Anonymousreply 41May 30, 2019 10:05 AM

I think Lindfors said that Reagan, her co-star in "Night Unto Night," told her he liked to have sex right after a shower. Nothing about their having an affair. The movie is rather overwrought, but she's very good as a war widow. He's adequate...

R41 that sounds great. I saw Palmer in "The Eccentricities of a Nightingale." She was wonderful. Always liked her face. She's funny on the commentary track of her film "Queen Bee." "Oh, Crawford and John Ireland--they were drinking and balling!"

by Anonymousreply 42May 30, 2019 5:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!