Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Who is the British guy Noel Fielding?

He keeps turning up all over the place...on my various feeds.

He was on Conan last night, so he must be big in the USA now.

He looks like he just stepped out of 1982.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77December 2, 2018 5:08 PM

Here's the Conan clip.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 20, 2016 10:01 PM

He played a weird tech guy on the IT Crowd that would pop up randomly.

I always got the impression that people in the UK knew who he was based upon his cheering.

He just seemed weird.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 20, 2016 10:03 PM

He comes up with really craaaaaaazy hilarious quotes like this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 20, 2016 10:06 PM

He's a tiresome twat, OP. Think Russell Brand crossed with Emo Phillips.

by Anonymousreply 4January 20, 2016 10:11 PM

Gross.

by Anonymousreply 5January 20, 2016 10:13 PM

He's a 'comedian' in England.

I watched four minutes...it was tough.

The English audience think he's hilarious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 20, 2016 10:15 PM

It seems Conan's importing more than one unfunny 'edgy' British comedian...'openly gay' Simon Amstell was on this week too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 20, 2016 10:22 PM

he exists to make us all feel better about cancer

by Anonymousreply 8January 20, 2016 10:24 PM

Not a tech, R2, an out-of-favor executive. Fielding is known for his roles on shows such as The Mighty Boosh and Never Mind the Buzzcocks. I haven't seen much of his comedy.

by Anonymousreply 9January 20, 2016 10:24 PM

One of the U.K.'s humour-free comedians.

by Anonymousreply 10January 20, 2016 10:29 PM

[quote]One of the U.K.'s humour-free comedians.

One of many.

by Anonymousreply 11January 20, 2016 10:30 PM

Austell was excellent on buzzcocks....but utter cringe here. underhanded snide ambush is his medium; not charm offensive

by Anonymousreply 12January 20, 2016 10:32 PM

amstell

by Anonymousreply 13January 20, 2016 10:33 PM

You people are terrible. Noel Fielding is a national treasure of GB. Simon Amstell, too.

Amstell is most well known in the UK as the host of 'Never Mind the Buzzcocks' a particularly British "pop culture comedy quiz show". The show gained a cult following in the US during Amstell's 4 or 5 seasons as host via unofficial YouTube uploads. Amstell's humor on the show was a bit different than his standup - it was very snarky and "took the piss" as Brits say out of celebrity culture. Noel Fielding was the captain of one of the two opposing teams of celebrities who competed against each other in the quiz. But, the show really wasn't about the quiz and more about the interaction between the host, the team captains and the guests. The episode with Amy Winehouse is absolutely brilliant and worth checking out. He does mostly stand up now. I haven't watched his Conan set yet, but his standup special from a couple of years ago was wonderfully droll and smartly observed and got rave reviews in the UK and the US. So, of course, DataLounge (a place where Mad TV regularly gets praised) would hate him.

Amstell went on to create a wonderful 2 season sitcom loosely based upon his life called Grandma's House. Amstell is a terrible actor, but he was smart to surround himself with VERY funny British actors on the show as he played a slightly fictionalized version of himself - especially the ones playing his grandmother and mother. The show offers a unique perspective on Jewish British humor - not something you see a lot of. It was almost like a lower-key Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Noel is actually most famous for a very oddball show he co-created and co-starred in called The Mighty Boosh, which has also become a bit of a cult hit in the US - think it used to air on Adult Swim. It's for fans of... Monty Python and The Young Ones.

by Anonymousreply 14January 20, 2016 10:35 PM

[quote] Fielding is known for his roles on shows such as The Mighty Boosh and Never Mind the Buzzcocks

I'm trying to 'get' The Mighty Boosh....over 250,000 views!...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 20, 2016 10:35 PM

[quote]You people are terrible. Noel Fielding is a national treasure of GB

If he's such a treasure maybe you could post something he's done of value.

by Anonymousreply 16January 20, 2016 10:37 PM

This is a fun compilation of some of Amstell's work on 'Never Mind the Buzzcocks'. Lots of good stuff, though the show's best appreciated in full ep form rather than random clips.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 20, 2016 10:41 PM

Oh, yeah, that Conan appearance wasn't Amstell's best work. Can't be brilliant all the time. He was a bit stronger on his first US media blitz a couple of years earlier...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 20, 2016 10:42 PM

Fielding is one of those UK types who just doesn't translate well here, like Julian Clary.

by Anonymousreply 19January 20, 2016 10:44 PM

He doesn't like Simon Amstell. He thought he ruined the show because he made celbrities afraid to come on.

The one with Antony Costa was a comedy classic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 20, 2016 10:46 PM

Yeah, I remember reading that, R20. I think both Fielding and Phil Jupitus weren't too sad about Amstell quitting. But, I think they were dead wrong. Coming on the show as, in a way, like being roasted by Don Rickles. It becomes a right of passage, almost a compliment to be insulted. And, besides which, Amstell was occasionally surprisingly vulnerable and honest in the host's chair. That said, I was surprised at how well many of the 2-3 seasons after worked with a variety of guests hosts - like the brilliant Frankie Boyle. It was their most recent permanent host, Rhod Gilbert, who killed the show and led to its cancellation. He seems like a genuinely lovely man, but he was far too nice for the job and softened the show way too much. Completely lost its edge at that stage and Fielding's kookiness and Jupitus' chops weren't enough to keep it afloat.

by Anonymousreply 21January 20, 2016 10:51 PM

He's not famous in the US AT ALL. He's another boring Brit they're trying to make happen over here.

He looks like an uglier version of Nikki Sixx. Not interested. The entertainment industry is beyond over-saturated with Brits.

by Anonymousreply 22January 20, 2016 10:54 PM

There's another guy on one of those clips who has the 'Look Of '82'-what's going on?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 20, 2016 10:54 PM

[quote] Fielding's kookiness and Jupitus' chops weren't enough to keep it afloat.

Has Jupitus tried to crack America?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 20, 2016 10:59 PM

I think Noel Fielding's brand of off-the-wall surrealist comedy is difficult for a lot of Americans (especially older Americans - no offense eldergays) to appreciate. It's just a VERY British brand of kookiness. This is, after all, the same nation that made Kate Bush a massive pop star. In the US she'd have been nothing but an obscurity. That said, Mighty Boosh, the show/group Conan was referencing in that clip did become a bit of a cult hit in the US - especially with 20-something men who are into other left-of-center decidedly weird comedy shows like Tim & Eric. If you're more of a middle-of-the-road person who genuinely enjoys '2 Broke Girls', you'll never "get" Fielding (or Amstell, for that matter).

by Anonymousreply 25January 20, 2016 11:02 PM

There aren't enough Brits of middling talent already in the US, that we have to import someone that looks like an ugly transvestite?

by Anonymousreply 26January 20, 2016 11:03 PM

R23 - is that a British "punk" musician who appeared on an ep of Never Mind the Buzzcocks? He looks awfully familiar. I remember thinking that his punk aesthetic was a bit of a put on and I remember he tried (and failed) to match wits with the host. But underneath his get up was a VERY handsome man. Forget his name...

by Anonymousreply 27January 20, 2016 11:06 PM

[quote]If you're more of a middle-of-the-road person who genuinely enjoys '2 Broke Girls', you'll never "get" Fielding (or Amstell, for that matter).

It seems we have a British comedy connoisseur in our midst with his witty put-downs.

He dreams of 'going for a pint' with the likes of Noel Fielding....he thinks it would be a right larf.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28January 20, 2016 11:07 PM

He's called Donny Tourette, R23

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29January 20, 2016 11:10 PM

There are lots of peope who are too British for us, just as their are people here who are too American for the rest of the world. Look at hoe many country and western stars there are in the US.mthey have their own record chart. A few reach star status overseas, but not many. C&W is very American

And yes, I know its roots are in Irish, Scottish and English music, but its evolved to be an American form of music. There are aficionados overseas, but not huge numbers of them.

by Anonymousreply 30January 20, 2016 11:14 PM

R28 - it's not meant to be an insult. Different strokes. My mum LOVES '2 Broke Girls' and 'NCIS' and 'Big Bang Theory'. She has very middle of the road tastes. She also thinks Amstell is too dry and that Fielding is "weird". I still love my mum.

I don't think comedians like this - especially Fielding - can really be "explained" to the average American. It's like when I try to explain Garrison Keillor's peculiarly mid-Western brand of humor to friends back home in the UK. They just don't "get" it.

by Anonymousreply 31January 20, 2016 11:16 PM

Some of the best moments on Grandma's House were when Simon antagonized is very irritable aunt during their weekly gatherings at his grandmother's house.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32January 20, 2016 11:18 PM

[quote]I don't think comedians like this - especially Fielding - can really be "explained"

Comedians shouldn't have to 'be explained'.

The better American comedians have been huge in England...Woody, Joan Rivers etc...

by Anonymousreply 33January 20, 2016 11:19 PM

R33 - do you really need "niche" entertainment explained to you? Some things are never going to be universal. Amstell and Fielding, especially, are huge in the UK. They only have cult audiences in the US and probably never will fully crossover. They're just too British.

by Anonymousreply 34January 20, 2016 11:22 PM

I like Noel for the most part. His stand up is terrible but he's funny off the cuff, he does well on talk shows. I also really liked The Mighty Boosh, I've never seen anything quite like it. It had a simple campy charm to it but at the same time it could get very nightmarish. I re-watch it every once in a while and still enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 35January 20, 2016 11:23 PM

I agree, R35. Fielding's standup is not particularly inspired. It's his tv sketch and "sitcom" (if one could possibly call Mighty Boosh that) work that's the best, in addition to his improvised off-the-cuff stuff on Buzzcocks.

by Anonymousreply 36January 20, 2016 11:25 PM

Pamela Anderson's newest husband.

He call her "The Mighty Boosh."

by Anonymousreply 37January 20, 2016 11:35 PM

R31, I love the Mighty Boosh, but I also secretly love NCIS. Where does that place me on the scale?

by Anonymousreply 38January 20, 2016 11:49 PM

You're an enigma, R38. ;-)

by Anonymousreply 39January 21, 2016 12:07 AM

Conan's not even big in America, OP.

by Anonymousreply 40January 21, 2016 12:31 AM

Amstell is a nasty, unfunny piece of work behind-the-scenes.

by Anonymousreply 41January 21, 2016 12:33 AM

[quote] The better American comedians were huge in England

There are British comedians who translated to the US. Peter Sellars. Peter Cook and Dudley Moore had 2 successful runs on Broadway. Monty Python. Jennifer Saunders.

by Anonymousreply 42January 21, 2016 12:41 AM

[quote]I think Noel Fielding's brand of off-the-wall surrealist comedy is difficult for a lot of Americans (especially older Americans - no offense eldergays) to appreciate.

But he doesn't really have an act, other than appearing as this Hello Kitty cuddly Goth/Glam character. It's boring and low-brow.

[quote]It's just a VERY British brand of kookiness.

The British can keep it on their side of The Pond. Fielding will go nowhere fast in the U.S. Keep the engines running on that Virgin Atlantic jet 'cause he won't be long on American soil.

Amstell on the other hand, I love him. His "Grandma's House" was very daring and was one of the best BritComs of that time. He'll have to come up with something other than his tired Gay Jew act though.

by Anonymousreply 43January 21, 2016 9:40 AM

YUCK!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 44January 21, 2016 10:44 AM

Haha, I loved Noel in Buzzcocks but hated Simon Amstell. John Barrowman was a good guest host but spends most of the time leering at the male guests.

by Anonymousreply 45January 21, 2016 11:01 AM

[quote]Oh, yeah, that Conan appearance wasn't Amstell's best work. Can't be brilliant all the time. He was a bit stronger on his first US media blitz a couple of years earlier...

This seems to be true.

This one's worth watching.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46January 21, 2016 11:23 AM

Big fan of Noel Fielding here. Didn't really care for Richmond on The IT Crowd but he's hilarious on British game shows and The Mighty Boosh.

He was recently on "Travel Man" with Richard Ayoade, who I adore. I've been watching IT Crowd, Garth Merenghi, and Man to Man With Dean Learner and loving it all.

But if neither Ayoade nor Chris O'Dowd can make it in the U.S., then Fielding has zero chance.

by Anonymousreply 47January 21, 2016 4:00 PM

Wow, was R15 supposed to be funny?

Cuz, like, it isn't. At all.

by Anonymousreply 48January 21, 2016 4:01 PM

R47 - I only know Richard Ayoade from his numerous interview appearances - always liked his dry wit. I'll definitely be checking out IT Crowd - been meaning to for years. What's 'Travel Man', though? A newer show of his? Did you see that film he directed, Submarine? Heard good things.

by Anonymousreply 49January 21, 2016 4:05 PM

Amstell looks like Jesse Eisenberg if he used cheap black hairdye.

by Anonymousreply 50January 21, 2016 4:08 PM

[quote] But if neither Ayoade nor Chris O'Dowd can make it in the U.S., then Fielding has zero chance.

Chris O'Dowd has had moderate success in the US. He did Bridesmaids, This is 40, Girls, Family Tree, abunch of other things and Of Mice and Men on stage. His RTÉ Moone Boy series aired in a lot of PBS stations

by Anonymousreply 51January 21, 2016 4:12 PM

"A bunch", sorry. Not trying to make a new word.

by Anonymousreply 52January 21, 2016 4:12 PM

for darkness, surreality --and crucially actually being FUNNY --everything pales in comparison to THE LEAGUE OF GENTLEMEN

by Anonymousreply 53January 21, 2016 4:28 PM

I haven't seen Submarine, R49, but I did see The Double and it was very good. Kind of a slightly lighter Brazil.

The IT Crowd is on Netflix, Garth Merenghi and Man to Man are on YouTube. Travel Man is a travel show he hosts which is on Channel 4 right now, and if you can get it to work, their episodes are on their website for free for about three weeks after they air.

by Anonymousreply 54January 21, 2016 4:40 PM

r53 - The League of Gentlemen was deliciously wicked British comedy. I still love the earlier sillier seasons, but I was quite impressed with how dark things got over the course of its run.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55January 21, 2016 4:49 PM

Papa Lazarou scared me somewhat.

by Anonymousreply 56January 21, 2016 4:58 PM

[quote]He was recently on "Travel Man" with Richard Ayoade, who I adore.

I've been watching this. I can't find anything to adore about Richard Ayoade - his 'humour' is so laboured, it's exhausting. But the travel shows are interesting. They find such interesting places to visit & things to do.

by Anonymousreply 57January 21, 2016 5:03 PM

[quote]Chris O'Dowd has had moderate success in the US. He did Bridesmaids, This is 40, Girls, Family Tree, abunch of other things and Of Mice and Men on stage. His RTÉ Moone Boy series aired in a lot of PBS stations

Well, that's quite a lot. I'd call that successful. He always seems to play the same chirpy chappy.

by Anonymousreply 58January 21, 2016 5:06 PM

R58 - yeah, except in GIRLS. He was (perfectly) awful as the over-privileged yuppie scum older husband of Jessa. The kind of performance that makes you cringe and laugh at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 59January 21, 2016 5:10 PM

Another ugly Brit. Who cares?

by Anonymousreply 60January 21, 2016 5:10 PM

I'm not saying Chris O'Dowd hasn't found work in the U.S. because he has, and he's done well, but very few people know who he is. Doing well doesn't mean "made it," necessarily.

He might yet make it in the U.S. but so many UK comedic actors are flashes in the pan over here. Russell Brand was supposed to be huge but he flopped and is only known because of tabloid stories and the occasional stupid comment. Steve Coogan did REALLY well and I think he's already forgotten.

Ayoade has done okay in the U.S. He was in The Watch and Boxtrolls, wrote and directed Submarine (which got significant indie recognition) and The Double (which was even better received and well-known) and no one knows who he is.

But we can't get rid of James Corden.

by Anonymousreply 61January 22, 2016 10:55 AM

[quote] so many UK comedic actors are flashes in the pan over here.

I wonder if the fact they're not funny has anything to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 62January 22, 2016 4:04 PM

Heh. Well, they're usually funnier than Jonah Hill.

by Anonymousreply 63January 22, 2016 4:33 PM

This thread inspired me to look up some old Simon Amstell Never Mind The Buzzcocks clips. It's kind of amazing how fearless he was: making fun of michael Jackson to Jermaine Jackson's face, the Cobain suicide joke, reading cringe worthy excerpts from Preston's wife's autobiography right to him, mocking Donny Tourette's punk aesthetic. Amazing he never got punched.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64February 7, 2016 11:02 AM

The Mighty Boosh was flavour of the month for a brief period but it outstayed its welcome and Fielding's image took a tumble when he got his followers on twitter to attack a young girl who criticized him and she ended up trying to kill herself. I think by that point the few people in the UK who'd actually heard of him had realized that he was a twat and a one-note comic writer/actor. He hasn't really recovered since and spends his time appearing on second rate panel shows. Maybe he's trying to reinvent himself in the US.

by Anonymousreply 65February 7, 2016 11:38 AM

He has such a punchable face.

by Anonymousreply 66February 7, 2016 11:38 AM

Simon Amstell isn't really a household name, either. It's years since Never Mind the Buzzcocks went off the air and not that many people watched it anyway. He did a great sitcom which I think ran for two seasons, but it virtually no one watched it, sadly. His main thing now is stand-up comedy, which he's very good at but it's a saturated market in the UK, full of gurning morons. He's a cut above the average, but I can't imagine he's still making the kind of money he was when he used to front Popworld (which ended 10 years ago).

by Anonymousreply 67February 7, 2016 11:43 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68February 7, 2016 11:51 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69February 7, 2016 11:55 AM

Not Noel, R69, Simon Amstell.

by Anonymousreply 70February 7, 2016 11:58 AM

That Conan clip @ R1 has had over [bold]253,000 views[/bold] and almost [bold]5,000 thumbs up[/bold]... since just January 20th, 2016.

He garners a lot attention, clearly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71February 7, 2016 11:59 AM

Noel Fielding [quote] It's just a VERY British brand of kookiness.

Well, there's your first problem. That is not funny.

by Anonymousreply 72December 2, 2018 3:47 PM

I'd never heard of him until he started as one of the new hosts (along with Danish-Brit dyke Sandi Toksvig) on the new, non-BBC episodes of "The Great British Bake-Off" (called "The Great British Baking Show" here, and currently streaming on Netflix.) While he seems like a nice person, he creeps me out big time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73December 2, 2018 3:55 PM

I thought he looked like a really bad Siouxsie Sioux impersonator on Never Mind the Buzzcocks.

by Anonymousreply 74December 2, 2018 4:10 PM

He was also on Doll & Em.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75December 2, 2018 4:17 PM

Ugly cunt

by Anonymousreply 76December 2, 2018 4:20 PM

I'm American but I love a lot of old school British humor shows, like AbFab, Fawlty Towers, Blackadder, The Young Ones, Monty Python, French & Saunders. I saw a few clips of The Mighty Boosh on Youtube and it looked interesting. Wow, what a creepy, quirky show. Too many out of left field things going on for me to understand or find funny. It felt like I was watching a peyote dream. Plus, this guy just looks bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 77December 2, 2018 5:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!