Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is Tucson Better Than Phoenix?

Phoenix is larger but Tucson has the universityofarizona

by Anonymousreply 42April 26, 2019 8:58 PM

Tucson also has Loews Ventana Canyon Resort, a primo hostelry.

by Anonymousreply 1December 31, 2015 4:18 PM

Who is the big fat piece of shit who thinks Vivian Vance in any thread is funny?

by Anonymousreply 2December 31, 2015 4:21 PM

Agreed R2. unfunny, not witty, tired.

by Anonymousreply 3December 31, 2015 4:23 PM

r2

Is Lucille Ball yelling from the grave

by Anonymousreply 4December 31, 2015 4:29 PM

Tucson may be better than Phoenix but so far Joaquin has proved to be less talented than Phoenix.

by Anonymousreply 5December 31, 2015 4:39 PM

Tucson has a nice progressive thing going on compared to Phoenix, like a cold drink of water in the Arizona Tea'publican dry gulch.

Also: Phoenix bedroom community Mesa, in the East Valley, is rated the most conservative city in the US. Heavy LDS infestation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6December 31, 2015 4:41 PM

Having lived in Arizona most of the past 25 years, I have opinions. I have lived mostly in the Phoenix area, and have worked extensively in Tucson, and lived and worked in Flagstaff, and visited much of the rest of the state repeatedly for work.

One of AZ's biggest problems is a lack of industry and jobs that pay well. The economy is a service one. Wages are low overall, and lower than national averages in higher-paying industries like health care and IT. There are few unions. The political climate is deep freeper. Although the media try not to make much of it, racial tensions are a looming problem. If there is going to be some sort of citizens' rebellion/civil war in the U.S., I put my money on it starting in Arizona.

Most growth is what is called "empty growth," and based on real estate speculation. AZ is in the midst of one of these bubbles right now, and the results are that we are awash in half-million dollar condos, tear-downs, and skyrocketing rents (AZ actually has a state constitutional amendment forbidding rent and real-estate price controls). A 40 year old one bedroom in a nasty neighborhood is going for about $900 in central Phoenix now, and I expect that will increase over the next while until the next bust.

Both Phoenix and Tucson are very large and sprawling. Phoenix at least has a good system of freeways, but Tucson does not. You will spend a lot of time on the road in Tucson. In Phoenix you will spend a lot of money on gasoline, because not driving is impossible. Bus service is poor and slow. The Phoenix light rail doesn't go many places at this time. Tucson's mass transit is worse and is geared toward getting people to and from U of A.

There are adequate services in both cities, and very good shopping. Phoenix has everything one could want, including world class resorts, high-end department stores (Barneys, NM, Saks, others). Good medical care is available in both cities. Arizona has oddly efficient DMVs (called MVDs here) where you will not spend hours in line, and you can do many things online and by mail.

Tucson gets the nod for overall attractive appearance and slightly better weather. Nobody has a green lawn in Tucson; hope you're okay with that. Phoenix is full of irrigated everything. Tucson is more geographically isolated, with Phoenix the only major city within 400 miles (San Diego).

Tucson has the worse economy, which has not expanded much since the last recession. It has caused Tucson to actually decrease in population a couple years over the past ten (approx 550,000 now in the city itself). Unless you have a high demand skill set, you will have trouble getting and staying employed in Tucson. At my current employer, we hire telecommuting IT people who live in Tucson, who tell me they can't find/keep regular employment in the city. Phoenix's economy has been sputtering along since the recession, but most growth is due to services and real estate construction+sales (empty growth). Phoenix hasn't been growing at the rate it used to. If there is a water crisis, the Phoenix metro will go to hell very quickly.

If you are retired, I'd definitely live in Tucson for the better weather, smaller size and lower cost of living. If you have to work for a living, I'd live in the Phoenix area, and try to live in the eastern suburbs (Tempe, Mesa, Chandler, Gilbert), as all of Phoenix has turned into an enormous ghetto, and commuting from the west into the center is a nightmare. Another aside for older adults is that AZ has what is probably one of the best networks of adult care facilities such as assisted living in the entire world, and the state pays for this care if you are unable to afford it through a program called ALTCS ("all-teks").

If you are looking for a boyfriend, I hope you enjoy meth and barebacking. Phoenix has bathhouses and an extensive network of adult bookstores. People still get arrested for having sex in parks in Arizona. Tucson has a couple bookstores and no bathhouses. I am told that tops are in very short supply.

by Anonymousreply 7December 31, 2015 4:50 PM

Why are tops always in short supply, everywhere?

by Anonymousreply 8December 31, 2015 5:04 PM

R2 and R3 have had sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 9December 31, 2015 5:05 PM

[quote]Also: Phoenix bedroom community Mesa, in the East Valley, is rated the most conservative city in the US. Heavy LDS infestation.

I thought places like Gilbert were even more conservative.

by Anonymousreply 10December 31, 2015 5:07 PM

r9

Ding, ding, ding...

by Anonymousreply 11December 31, 2015 5:07 PM

Great observations, R7. I'm up north of you. I agree that there is a deeply resentful, racist, anti-government thing going on in parts of Arizona, which is really troubling.

I think I've posted about it before, but in the late 80's, my sis ran into a group of 50-100 people in KKK (or some affilliated org) robes in a remote forest area near Prescott, burning a bonfire, with no signs of transportation in the area. They were not happy we stumbled into their meeting, and we left immediately. Prescott had active KKK participation in local parades into the early 50's, and it's clear they never really went away. This area has also been a hotspot of militia group activity for some years, and I think that's closely related.

Like others who aren't cray, I'll join R7 in expressing a desire to get away from AZ. I'm cuddly, smart, and adoptable.

by Anonymousreply 12December 31, 2015 5:08 PM

[quote]A 40 year old one bedroom in a nasty neighborhood is going for about $900 in central Phoenix now, and I expect that will increase over the next while until the next bust.

In San Francisco, that would go for about three times that amount.

by Anonymousreply 13December 31, 2015 5:12 PM

R13, this is in Phoenix, where the median wage is about $12/hour. And SF used to be the exception, but greedy real estate speculators are trying to make it the norm.

by Anonymousreply 14December 31, 2015 5:15 PM

R12 can you tell me what town you're in? I moved away from Flag a few months ago due to the intolerably high rents and overall boringness, and lack of services, and lack of oxygen.

by Anonymousreply 15December 31, 2015 5:16 PM

R15, I'm in the Verde Valley, formerly a resident of the Prescott area. I owned a tiny business for about 10 years in Flagstaff, and generally loved the place...although snow/weather is a negative factor. I used to mountain bike year round all over the area, being slightly gonzo and all.

Also: in R12, I should have said "my sis and I", but I think that error of omission reminds me of how terrifying that encounter really was. I'd rather think I wasn't there, I guess. The KKK group surrounded my 4WD and tried to prevent us from leaving. I waved, smiled and kept the vehicle moving forward. We didn't report that to any authority, realizing that local law enforcement is sometimes involved with the Klan. Freaky, and it helped define my view of Arizona. The darker side of it, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 16December 31, 2015 5:28 PM

[quote]The darker side of it, anyway.

Okay, okay, I'll try the veal already!

by Anonymousreply 17December 31, 2015 5:30 PM

You'll love the veal, Mac (R17).

Meanwhile, here's a slightly lame paean to Arizona and why it's just plain wrong to leave!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 31, 2015 6:31 PM

Tucson had the movie "Mel's Diner" while Phoenix had the TV "Mel's Diner."

by Anonymousreply 19December 31, 2015 7:32 PM

Prefer Phoenix. If you top, go to Tucson, The guys there claim there are no tops that live within a 100 mile radius, and so are desperate for one -- anyone. I had TOP on my Grindr handle, and my phone was ringing nonstop the entire week I was there. Bottoms there on business couldn't wait to get out of town. Heck, you could look like Quasimodo and get the hottest guy in town. They're that desperate for tops. Not exaggerating. One guy, who claims to know the ins and outs of the community, said there were ten tops in all of Tucson by last count. (I'm sure this count wasn't sponsored by the US Census.)

There is a large LDS community, so you get a lot of closet cases. Expect lots of married (to women) closet cases as well. And if they are international students from conservative countries -- thing the Middle East -- they'll be sending you messages rather than studying.

by Anonymousreply 20December 31, 2015 8:08 PM

[quote]Phoenix is larger

Yes, he was. But he was so gentle and loving, it never really hurt.

by Anonymousreply 21December 31, 2015 8:15 PM

Hello, gays of Tucson. I'm heading your way next week. R7 in particular: any particular places you'd recommend, or that I avoid? I can of course consult the Googly Box, but locals always know better.

by Anonymousreply 22April 13, 2016 11:55 PM

It's 6's; hell is hell.

by Anonymousreply 23April 14, 2016 12:04 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 24April 23, 2019 3:48 PM

Tucson sucks! UofA is all it has going for it. Otherwise it’s a boring dirty dust bowl. All the people who are moving to Az from California because they can’t afford it anymore. They aren’t going to Tucson. They are coming to Scottsdale, Tempe and Chandler. Great cities they are newer and affordable. Scottsdale can rival a lot of California cities for all it offers with restaurants, upscale shopping and great nightlife. Yes...just an FYI to the tops. Az in general is the land of bottoms. It’s no joke...It’s rare to find tops in Phoenix or Tucson. There’s a lot of Mexicans, Indians and South Americans In Az and most are bottoms. Good luck even finding a masculine top unless they are a transplant from another US city.

by Anonymousreply 25April 23, 2019 6:33 PM

Oh gawd, the heat heat heat! I guess there are folks who like to live in that shit but I just can't take it.

by Anonymousreply 26April 23, 2019 6:35 PM

Is Meghan McCain a top or a power bottom? Can't decide which.

by Anonymousreply 27April 23, 2019 7:23 PM

Phoenix is a major city. Tucson is not as hot but still stiffening. I’d choose San Diego

by Anonymousreply 28April 23, 2019 7:30 PM

they are both going to run out of water completely in the next decade or two.

by Anonymousreply 29April 23, 2019 11:54 PM

I would wager most of the survey's respondents have been to either city.

Neither is great, but Phoenix is better.

by Anonymousreply 30April 23, 2019 11:58 PM

I lived in Tucson between 2015 and 2016 and had no trouble whatsoever finding hot, fit, young tops to suck off via craigslist at the time. When I went back for a visit in 2017, same story. Then again, I’m also a fit, young guy as well.

While the guys I met in Tucson were very attractive, Phoenix has a ridiculous number of ridiculously hot guys. Never seen so many hotties, and yes, tons of tops. Again, hot young top dudes generally prefer young-looking, slim twinkish guys, not older, bigger or hairier guys.

The problem with Tucson is a lack of industry, a lack of jobs, and an inability to attract the kind of companies that could turn the economy around. Even though the city may be poor by US standards, it never felt run down, ghetto, or dangerous. Tucson feels like a sun belt city that got left behind. The people are wonderful and it’s surprisingly progressive.

Phoenix has more of a big city vibe, but Phoenix also feels very American, and provincial, though not in a bad way. Phoenix has a very west coast, California-lite vibe going on, and perhaps that’s why it’s so popular with Californians who’ve been priced out of LA. Phoenix jobs on average do pay less than other cities like Austin, Dallas, or Houston, yet the cost of living is comparable to those cities.

Overall, I like both Tucson and Phoenix. If you’re working age, go with Phoenix.

by Anonymousreply 31April 24, 2019 12:08 AM

OP Move to New Mexico.

by Anonymousreply 32April 24, 2019 12:13 AM

And by the way, it’s hard to find tops anywhere. Please don’t act like this issue is unique to Tucson, Phoenix or Arizona.

As someone who currently lives in Austin, but previously lived in Dallas and San Antonio, I can assure you that both Tucson and Phoenix have way more tops per capita than any of those Texas cities.

by Anonymousreply 33April 24, 2019 12:14 AM

I'm about to take these Tucson bottoms out for a test drive. I'm a top and I'll be in Tucson for work tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 34April 25, 2019 12:19 AM

Tucson is a progressive but hellish, rundown cesspit for the broke and/or elderly. I've lived here for two years now and it's a wonder I haven't slit my wrists yet. Why don't I just leave? Because I'm young, dumb, and broke and my current job pays almost twice the minimum wage yet requires almost zero skills.

TL;DR Tucson is where happiness and dreams come to die - Phoenix all the way!

by Anonymousreply 35April 25, 2019 12:37 AM

Ok R35, but why are you broke living in Tucson on over $45K a year?

by Anonymousreply 36April 25, 2019 1:03 AM

Phoenix is completely soulless - a giant suburb filled with endless chainstores and strip malls. Hope you like beige. Tucson has a more spiritual, hippie, quirky vibe going on. Nice to visit, but would probably get old fast if that's not your scene and you need gainful employment.

I hate Phoenix (been here for 10 years now). For such a large metro area, it feels terribly provincial. The locals are mostly a mix of aging Midwestern deplorables, Mormons, Mexicans, trashy methheads, and those who couldn't make it in CA. The best things about it are the fact that it's cheaper than California, and the proximity to so many other places. There's endless options for outdoor rec, hiking, biking, etc. and it's very easy to visit the rest of the west coast for some variety. So I stay here, until I can come up with a better option.

by Anonymousreply 37April 25, 2019 1:46 AM

I’ll take the cute ASU (they are unfairly hot) studs on a weekend to Sedona and the Havasu reservation for a dip. Not sure either city is for me long term. But is their a campus with better looking guys? 🤤

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38April 25, 2019 6:19 AM

I've lived in Phoenix for a very long time - Every new gay guy I meet who has moved here complains about the dating scene. You can find a hookup, sure, a boyfriend? No! And we apparently have a higher percentage of ghosting in Phoenix than other major cities. My other issue, and all my friends agree, gay and straight, it's like one big damn high school! Not in mentality or bejavior, but in the fact that you're always running into someone you know from the past or meeting someone who you find out a month later is best friends with that bitch you hated from you last office. It is insane how much that happens here. Especially considering how many people live here. As another poster said, water is going to be an issue sooner than people think and the constant expansion and concrete has made it hotter year over year. I truly believe Phoenix will be uninhabitable or close to it within a couple generations from me. Tucson sucks my ass, that's all I can really say about it. It would collapse in on itself if not for the college. The highend neighborhoods are very lovely, but your stuck in Tucson, so it's a wash. The only thing Tucson has over Phoenix is that they still have a real monsoon season there with beautiful powerful, sometime scary, summer storms. just my two cents.

by Anonymousreply 39April 25, 2019 7:25 AM

R34 back with my top report. I logged into the apps for 2 days before my trip, explaining myself and my intentions clearly. I got endless requests for hookups in cars from married and partnered guys. I was offered drugs twice, which is probably less than I'd be offered in my hometown. I got teased by some 65 year old who kept sending me ass pics in different poses. He has a nice ass, but didn't want to chat with me, only to send ass pics. That was interesting.

Many guys offer you the very things you say you don't want, which makes me scratch my head. For instance, mention you aren't into drugs, and you get people asking you to parTy, or even to supply them with drugs.

Finally I got to chat a bit with an average looking but friendly guy who typed in full sentences and sounded normal. We got together after I was done with work and had a good 2 1/2 hour visit, about 90 mins of which was fucking. We both got leg cramps, so it was a good time.

by Anonymousreply 40April 26, 2019 8:27 PM

Forgot to add, due to the wetter than normal winter, the greenery in Tucson and the blooming trees, look amazing right now. Absolutely beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 41April 26, 2019 8:29 PM

[Quote]We got together after I was done with work and had a good 2 1/2 hour visit, about 90 mins of which was fucking.

Will you be in traveling to South Carolina anytime soon, r40?

by Anonymousreply 42April 26, 2019 8:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!