Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Any current male singers like James Taylor?

Just listened to one of my favorite albums from high school/college years - James Taylor's "That's Why I'm Here." He was kind of the 'old fogey' in my record collection even though he was only about 37 when he recorded it. The album has held up really well over the last 30 years. Are there any male singers (or groups) today with pleasant voices who record pleasant, contemporary pop music that's not angsty or morose (like Adele/Sam Smith)???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33March 28, 2021 7:03 PM

Dan Fogleberg was akin to James Taylor IMO.

He was so talented. One of the best concerts I've ever seen was Dan with just his guitar/piano and no band.

He died far too soon.

by Anonymousreply 1December 28, 2015 8:35 PM

And you don't go in for the old datalounge standard, Matt Alber, that has been linked here probably dozens of times?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2December 28, 2015 9:04 PM

Richard Shindell?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3December 28, 2015 9:07 PM

Or Troye Sivan?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4December 28, 2015 9:15 PM

Mark Kozelek

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5December 28, 2015 9:42 PM

Josh Rouse

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6December 28, 2015 10:25 PM

Well there's always James Taylor's own son, Ben, for the legacy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7December 28, 2015 10:31 PM

Ron Sexsmith

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8December 28, 2015 10:35 PM

OK. Thanks for the suggestions. Most of these are spare and melancholy and/or Country/Western. They also have heavy themes. I'm looking for something midtempo, upbeat themes and soulful background harmonies; like James Taylor in the 80s. Something that could be in the background on a roadtrip with several generations in the car -- kids, parents, etc.

by Anonymousreply 9December 30, 2015 3:07 PM

I used to listen to Crosby, Stills, Nash in the 70s. These musicians would have been James Taylor's contemporaries. I think you'll get that same Taylor laid-back, melodic vibe without the current millennial angst.

by Anonymousreply 10December 30, 2015 3:29 PM

Tyler Hilton - great hooks, sexy soulful voice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11December 30, 2015 3:31 PM

James Taylor is the single most horrific thing put upon mankind.

by Anonymousreply 12December 30, 2015 3:38 PM

I don't mean to sound like an ass, but does it actually matter if the themes are dark? Is anyone actually going to be listening to the lyrics on your road trip?

Anyway, this is actually an interesting topic, OP. I hadn't realized how unusual what you're asking is, since I don't listen to the kind of 'it' pop music you mentioned.

Hopefully, there'll be some good rec's.

by Anonymousreply 13December 30, 2015 3:41 PM

His brother Livingston Taylor puts on a great live performance:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14December 30, 2015 3:45 PM

[quote] male singers (or groups) today with pleasant voices who record pleasant, contemporary pop music

Okay, I'm going to play fast and loose with you said you were looking for. None of these examples sound like Taylor, but they meet all the other requirements, plus light lyrics. Maybe, this'll stir the rec's from alt country.

This was the first song that came to my mind.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 30, 2015 3:48 PM

Some of Patrick Wolf's lighter music...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16December 30, 2015 3:49 PM

Mac DeMarco is pretty upbeat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17December 30, 2015 3:50 PM

My suggestions aren't so much current as classic and longstanding, but that's always good, right?

I was about to suggest Mark Knopfler, but his last handful of albums have all been eerie, downer Country Gothic with a lot of bleak Celtic folk, so I would recommend a trip further back to Dire Straits. They did upbeat, poppy stuff mixed in with cheeky retro and soul/rockabilly, perfect for car journeys. Maybe go with their 90's releases 'Money for Nothing' and 'On Every Street', which have all the fun singalong radio hits plus some hidden gems (tbh their 80's stuff can be a little morbid and political).

Failing that you could give Chris Rea a go. He does serious and long winded (but exemplary) Latin and Blues guitar almost exclusively now, but there was a time he was the go-to for soulful, beachy, easygoing smooth driving tunes, a lovely warm blend of harmonious riffs. 'On the Beach' would be the perfect starter if it were summer (or maybe 'King of the Beach', the unofficial sequel) but if you wanted something ASAP give the albums 'Tennis', 'Auberge' or 'Expresso Logic' a spin. He's unfairly maligned by the music industry and always has been, but he's got a lot to offer and for your purposes I think you'll like his work.

by Anonymousreply 18December 30, 2015 3:52 PM

Iron and Wine, singer-songwritery style.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19December 30, 2015 3:52 PM

Very upbeat, but might be too punk.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 30, 2015 3:53 PM

Father John Misty... I love you honeybear.

by Anonymousreply 21December 30, 2015 4:00 PM

When I was young, my family used to take Sunday drives in the summer. The windows would be down, the wind in our hair, the eight track tape blaring away (yeah, it that long ago) and all of us would be singing our hearts out to John Denver tunes. Some of my fondest childhood memories were those roadtrips. Other singers would be played (eg. Neil Diamond, Cat Stevens, Gordon Lightfoot) but it was John Denver I remember the most.

by Anonymousreply 22December 30, 2015 4:02 PM

Sorry just realized that you wanted "current" singers and I listed older ones in my post. For the life of me, I can't think of anyone similar to James Taylor. The only current male singers I listen to are Chris Isaak and Ed Sheeran but I wouldn't call them uplifting. To tell you the truth, I don't really listen to many new artists. Not a big help, I know.

by Anonymousreply 23December 30, 2015 4:08 PM

Ed Sheeran?!?

by Anonymousreply 24December 30, 2015 4:20 PM

The same Ed Sheeran that used to hang around Taylor Swift? Hooookay.

by Anonymousreply 25December 30, 2015 4:24 PM

I would say Zayn Malik but we haven't had his solo album yet.

by Anonymousreply 26January 12, 2016 4:06 PM

Ray Lamontagne.

by Anonymousreply 27January 12, 2016 4:16 PM

Doug Paisley (not the country singer named Paisley)

Jay Jay Pistolet

Another cote for Ron Sexsmith

by Anonymousreply 28January 12, 2016 4:24 PM

Belle and Sebastian are often quite heavy but they never sound heavy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29January 12, 2016 4:34 PM

Amos Lee

His voice isn't as distinctive as Taylor (very few are), but most of his songs are laid back

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30January 12, 2016 4:35 PM

Jack Johnson!

by Anonymousreply 31January 12, 2016 4:56 PM

Cool Australian singer songwriter

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32January 12, 2016 5:26 PM

To the OP -- I'm sure they're probably not on the lounge anymore but I love that album. I grew up hearing it on cassette. In the car, in the house, on the way to old favorite haunts. 'That's Why I'm Here' is one of James' strongest albums from side to side. I love its slightly electronic 80s production yet still has the comfortable feeling of soft rock. It's like being in a late 80s Cadillac with an all digital dash, yet the seats are so comfy. Not to mention the full ashtrays. These were the days!

by Anonymousreply 33March 28, 2021 7:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!