Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I Hate LED Lights

My town puts small Christmas trees throughout the village streets every year. The Christmas trees are decorated with looted lights, while the bare branches of deciduous trees and shop windows have white lights.it always looked so nice.

Except they switched over to LED lights. The Christmas trees look eerie and sinister, like Halloween trees. I avoid the town after sundown

by Anonymousreply 39April 16, 2020 5:19 PM

The town next to ours did this too. Those harsh white lights look awful. They have all the charm of fluorescent tubes. I can't believe the people who make those things don't know better than to color them to give them a warm glow.

by Anonymousreply 1December 10, 2015 6:04 PM

Sorry. I don't know how "colored lights" became "looted lights."

by Anonymousreply 2December 10, 2015 6:28 PM

LEDs look a lot different. The colors are generated in an extremely narrow color spectrum, R,G and/or B, and the result is glaring. Great if you want a laser-like effect, otherwise not very pleasant.

by Anonymousreply 3December 10, 2015 6:29 PM

The point of lighting Christmas trees is from the pagan festivals of light at the darkest time of year. Humans were making light (using bonfires and torches at the beginning of time; then using wax candles, then using electric light) to chase away and triumph over the darkness.

Using LED lights makes the whole thing pointless. The light isn't triumphant over darkness. The light has become part of the darkness.

by Anonymousreply 4December 10, 2015 6:39 PM

The purple-grey tint of "white" LEDs is really irritating. It can look somewhat decent in the right context, but fails as a replacement for clear white (or those older amber-white) Christmas lights.

by Anonymousreply 5December 10, 2015 6:42 PM

Fuck the new normal of insisting Christmas decorations must be energy efficient at the cost of a pleasing, warm aesthetic. Let's just jump back a hundred years and have candles on our trees!

by Anonymousreply 6December 10, 2015 6:45 PM

You pay taxes? Those LED lights save money hunny.

by Anonymousreply 7December 10, 2015 6:49 PM

Can you still buy the old-fashioned kind?

by Anonymousreply 8December 10, 2015 6:51 PM

OP @ r2, it wasn't cattle clysmic.

by Anonymousreply 9December 10, 2015 7:06 PM

R7, My taxes don't pay for Christmas lights because I don't live in the village (which has its own tax structure).

And believe me, if it's one thing my village has, it's money. A recent sale in my village, for $25M, was a house that was on the register of historic homes. It was promptly torn down, and a glass building is going up in its place. Those are the people who pay village taxes and I don't think they're too worried about saving money on village Christmas lights. In fact, I'm sure they have no idea what goes on in the village past Labor Day.

by Anonymousreply 10December 10, 2015 7:09 PM

R10-now I'm more interested in your town than the LED lights (awful btw.)

Greenwich? Grosse Pointe? Rye?

by Anonymousreply 11December 10, 2015 7:18 PM

I can't tell the difference. So sue me.

by Anonymousreply 12December 10, 2015 7:24 PM

SO the blue-purple headlights are LED?

by Anonymousreply 13December 10, 2015 7:25 PM

the LED lights are duller

by Anonymousreply 14December 10, 2015 7:35 PM

After Pearl Harbor: The Haunting WNYC Broadcasts

I thought this was interesting. You can listen to WNYC's Pearl Harbor News Bulletin and Mayor LaGuardia's Pearl Harbor Address

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 10, 2015 7:46 PM

R15 What's this to do with LED lights.?

by Anonymousreply 16December 10, 2015 7:52 PM

ha, sorry, I thought I was making a new thread.

by Anonymousreply 17December 10, 2015 7:56 PM

So that's what those blue lights all over London are, LEDs? I thought they were just icy blue lights and had no idea that they were supposed to be white.

by Anonymousreply 18December 10, 2015 8:02 PM

I hate them too. The red is more of a bright pink and looks tacky and SO NOT Christmas-y to me. That color alone ruins the entire strand of the colored lights,and the white ones are cold and yes, sinister looking. I love an old fashioned looking tree with those big, old colored lights and cranberries and popcorn strung around it. I also like the all white lights, when they aren't LED.

by Anonymousreply 19December 10, 2015 8:07 PM

Datalounge, where people come to hate, or at least trivialize the act of hating.

by Anonymousreply 20December 10, 2015 8:18 PM

[quote]I avoid the town after sundown

I'm sure the town is pleased to no end.

by Anonymousreply 21December 10, 2015 8:23 PM

[quote]those big, old colored

Birdie is please, ain't Birdie please... You know what Birdie is Mr Gildersleeve, that's right Birdie is please you like big old coloreds.

by Anonymousreply 22December 10, 2015 8:24 PM

Your town bought cheap lights. And did not work with a designer.

There are quality led lights with a good color temperature. Also color LED lights can be fine.

And the energy savings are fantastic and honourable.

by Anonymousreply 23December 10, 2015 8:43 PM

by the way, even though I claim LED lights can, if effort and expense is put into it, be fine, I also love incandescent lights and have a large stockpile of incandescent bulbs, which no longer exist in much of Europe.

For example, I have fabulous garlands like you would see on a popular summer terrace or garden party with clear large incandescent bulbs. Its lovely but you need a lot of juice to run them, which I do for special parties in summer.

The only way you can get such bulbs now is to claim you are an art gallery, or an amusement company, or for theatre marques, etc.

There is still an old fluorescent bulb factory in deep switzerland. They can't sell their fabulous bulbs retail, though they do ship their edison bulbs around the world.

by Anonymousreply 24December 10, 2015 8:48 PM

Florescent, r24, or incandescent?

by Anonymousreply 25December 10, 2015 8:54 PM

We have plenty of incandescent Christmas lights here. Garlands, icicles, nets, single strand, C9, C7, mini lights, rice lights, fairy lights.

by Anonymousreply 26December 10, 2015 8:54 PM

yes - late here. I mean incandescent... its near lucerne

by Anonymousreply 27December 10, 2015 9:01 PM

heres the link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28December 10, 2015 9:02 PM

The biggest globes are to die for.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29December 10, 2015 9:03 PM

They make e14 coloured flames - the old timey type used in garlands in the states. 6 bucks a bulb.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30December 10, 2015 9:05 PM

Same thing where I live. Driving through the streets with those LED light trees is like driving through a weird halloween/christmas scene.

by Anonymousreply 31December 10, 2015 9:05 PM

The warmer LED lights are fine.

by Anonymousreply 32December 10, 2015 9:13 PM

My town routinely allows the cutting down of woods, the bulldozing of farms and the destruction of ocean beaches in order to build some of the biggest part-time homes on the planet. We probably use more water in summer than anywhere else in the US due to our swimming pools alone, not counting the fact that miles of sod are irrigated here every day, even during hurricanes.

But we're going to save the planet by replacing perfectly good Christmas lights with hideous LEDs. Yeah, that's the priority.

by Anonymousreply 33December 10, 2015 9:21 PM

We have plastic versions of those in the U.S., R30, though you can still find some glass incandescent versions. The actual vintage ones are on sale on eBay constantly but are expensive, and I know from experience that they can be dangerous nowadays. The construction of these was never very good.

Only one of the 14 sets I had from the 1970s still works.

by Anonymousreply 34December 11, 2015 9:41 AM

I actually enjoy the violet overlay of the white LED lamps, but agree that it isn't very festive or inviting. Neither are blue lights, if you want to get picky about it. To my eyes, the white LEDs look like the twilight through a snowy pine forest, like I recall from many trips as a child to spend holidays in the Sierras, so to me it's mysterious, but not off-putting.

All of my Christmas lights have color filters of different shapes over the lamps themselves, I don't see much difference between them and incandescent lights. Much like I've grown used to the CFLs we have here that are encased in traditional flood lamp enclosures. I still insist on incandescent bulbs for many applications, that's not going away. And my older female relatives have me on-call to hunt down pink light bulbs for them :)

by Anonymousreply 35December 20, 2015 11:14 PM

Hello, Jarvis? It's Auntie Sue. Could you be a dear and hunt me down a pink light bulb for my boudoir?

I agree about the LEDs. The colors are too intense and lurid, and the whites are ghastly and give everything an evil look. I miss the old-school gently twinkling lights.

by Anonymousreply 36December 21, 2015 1:00 AM

I don't notice the difference.

by Anonymousreply 37April 16, 2020 2:24 AM

When I renovated my bathroom, I put in fixtures for incandescent, compact florescent, polarized, and a 4-watt night light. When the incandescents burn out, I’ve been replacing them with LED bulbs, but I don’t like the momentary time it takes for the LED lights to illuminate.

by Anonymousreply 38April 16, 2020 4:10 AM

R37 Hi, 2015 Bump Bitch.

by Anonymousreply 39April 16, 2020 5:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!