Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Issues with younger co-workers, English skills, PC crap, and the low quality of performance today

I hesitated, but it's been bugging me all day. I have an assistant, assigned to me. I'm not supposed to think of her as my assistant because hierarchy is considered demeaning. She drafts correspondence and some technical pieces and picks up the phone. She's smooth but not bright and not well educated for her master's degree. Assistants are assigned by others on the team, so I had no choice. They usually cycle out after a year.

So Monday a document file appeared with the phrase "cattle clysmic." I started laughing, called her in and asked her to fix it, keeping it light and acting as if I assumed it was a typo, which I knew it wasn't. She got upset and said I was putting her down and that I was too focused on niceties rather than meaning, and it was a problem. She kept escalating. Yesterday I heard she went to HR asking to be moved. An assistant there told me he could hear her say I obviously had a bias (yes, she's a person of color - I'm biracial but look white and I don't discuss my or anyone else's racial heritage at work) and I needed to be "straightened out" - the exact term.

Today it was the cold shoulder. The document was not changed, and ended up with the phrase bolded. I told my boss (of course people at my level are not permitted the foolishness of pretending we don't have bosses). She said I just needed to fix her work and that she thought I was being unfair. People like her (quote) need to be encouraged and not told their mistakes, because it just causes trouble in the firm.

Is this insanity the rule now? Is this really the norm? You can't tell an illiterate person where a stupid mistake reveals a serious lapse in understanding? Christ.

by Anonymousreply 144May 21, 2020 1:37 AM

Poor kid -- a master's used to fast track people into exec training programs, not the 21st Century equivalent of the typing pool

by Anonymousreply 1December 10, 2015 2:47 AM

No, OP, you cannot. She's a special snowflake and you, you big meanie, aren't supposed to tell them they are inadequate or make mistakes. They got a Masters Degree by simply showing up. Who are YOU to tell them they can't spell?

by Anonymousreply 2December 10, 2015 2:50 AM

Next time, don't laugh. Don't make a joke. Precious snowflake is used to getting stars ans awards for SHOWING UP. Red line it and send it back for correction PERIOD. She is a crypto cunt and could end up getting you fired.

by Anonymousreply 3December 10, 2015 2:57 AM

I once had a temp come into the office for light typing of quotations and business letters and to answer the phone while my normal girl was on vacation. Bitch could not type or spell to save her life. Finally, on her third attempt at a letter which took her all day to do, she typed it correctly (it took her forever), but she ran down into the bottom margin of the letter and when this was brought to her attention, she moaned in exasperation--are you ready for this?--"You mean I have to type it AGAIN?"

She was there the whole day and had not typed one letter suitable for mailing. So, we got rid of her.

Weeks later we all went out for lunch to a fast food submarine place and she was the girl who had to make us our submarine sandwiches. I felt so awful for her!

by Anonymousreply 4December 10, 2015 2:58 AM

R4, sometimes Karma comes as a hoagie, like revenge, served cold.

by Anonymousreply 5December 10, 2015 3:03 AM

Why, r4? If she can't type or spell or get ONE THING done in an 8-hour day she doesn't need to be working in a place that EXPECTS performance.

I agree with r3 about just sending it back. But make sure you keep a fucking copy of EVERYTHING she fucks up. She WILL go to HR again and complain but if you can show her horrible skills, they may quietly push her off elsewhere or get rid of her all together.

by Anonymousreply 6December 10, 2015 3:04 AM

"Is this insanity the rule now? Is this really the norm?"

No, you are just making generalizations because you aren't very bright. People who whine about "PC crap" tend to be the not-very-bright losers who support Donald Trump.

by Anonymousreply 7December 10, 2015 3:08 AM

OP, be afraid, be very afraid...HR departments aren't interested in corporate efficiency anymore, they're just there to protect the company from being sued and especially from being sued on affirmative action grounds. Agree with [r6]: keep a copy of everything she does.

by Anonymousreply 8December 10, 2015 3:08 AM

Threads like these always give dumb Republicans like r8 a chance to whine about affirmative action. Snooze. I fear for young workers who have to deal with grumpy old Republicans. It must be hard to deal with that level of stupidity. Did you just get back from the Trump rally?

by Anonymousreply 9December 10, 2015 3:14 AM

That's nuts, OP. I'm young. And a person of color. I would not expect this special snowflake treatment at all. I would be horrified if I made a mistake like that. I think it would be fine for your boss to talk about the approach and tone you use when correcting your assistant, but not the content of your correction. That was clearly a ridiculous mistake that required immediate correction.

Do you work in a very competitive market or is recruitment for these assistant positions difficult? When I temped, I always knew there was a LONG line of very well qualified candidates waiting in line right behind me, ready to replace me if I wasn't up to snuff.

by Anonymousreply 10December 10, 2015 3:18 AM

I learned the importance of spelling by a boss who kicked back any memo with a misspelling. Those where handwritten memos, too. I'm with you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 11December 10, 2015 3:21 AM

Maybe she got pissed because she was expecting a spanking OP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 10, 2015 3:30 AM

"(yes, she's a person of color - I'm biracial but look white and I don't discuss my,,,,," Wow, seems to me YOU are the special fake snowflake in question. She's a person of color, but YOU with your biracial white skin are somehow exempt from being a person of color, despite having one non-white parent. You are a person of color too. You simply choose to "pass" having stated that you choose not to discuss racial backgrounds, including your own. Way to go, PussyCat. No make that Pussy-Asshat.

On another note, yes your assistant is possessed of inadequate grammar and vernacular. I have given up on expecting those 30 and younger to conjugate the "to be" verb. If I had a nickle for every misuse of your for you're, I could buy the Mykonos villa of my dreams. Despite the terrible Greek economy, Mykonos is thriving.

by Anonymousreply 13December 10, 2015 3:32 AM

OP, ignore the sourpuss at R13. Your post was perfectly reasonable, I thought.

by Anonymousreply 14December 10, 2015 3:40 AM

Is her Master's from Phoenix or Strayer?

by Anonymousreply 15December 10, 2015 3:51 AM

If I had a nickel for every "nickle"

by Anonymousreply 16December 10, 2015 3:53 AM

"Issues with younger co-workers, English skills, PC crap, and the low quality of performance today"

I'll bet younger co-workers have a list of complaints of their own, like no pension, lack of good health care, low wages, lack of job security...

by Anonymousreply 17December 10, 2015 4:02 AM

I think the problem was you laughed at her.

by Anonymousreply 18December 10, 2015 4:05 AM

I do not have a degree in any field, but am amazed by what I see every day at work. Last week I was asked by three millennials if I knew where Spain was. I told them I did, in fact I have been there. They thought it was probably in South America, but they were not sure. I tried hard not to laugh, and gave a quick & atrocious sketch of Europe, at least in relation to Mediterranean, Atlantic, Africa, Asia. All three were educated in the United States. Is somehow the ease of Google diminishing the process of learning? Because it is so easy to look up every fact, you don't bother to retain any? And yet these three very nice but not so smart people hadn't even bothered to check Google maps. I didn't know what to make of it.

by Anonymousreply 19December 10, 2015 4:22 AM

And they wonder why companies are outsourcing job overseas

by Anonymousreply 20December 10, 2015 4:33 AM

Did you eat the sandwich r4 ?

by Anonymousreply 21December 10, 2015 4:35 AM

đŸ—½. God Bless America, r20 !

by Anonymousreply 22December 10, 2015 4:39 AM

R4, why would your printer print into the bottom margin? It sounds like you had shitty equipment and a mediocre temp.

by Anonymousreply 23December 10, 2015 4:40 AM

When I hear one side of a story, which is really the only side we can get on here, I always wonder how the other person would see it. So you kind of have to read between the lines:

[quote]She got upset and said I was putting her down and that I was too focused on niceties rather than meaning, and it was a problem.

So what she was saying was, instead of making a joke or trying to "keep it cute" you should have just said, "Hey, can you fix this?" and let that be the end of it. Which, unless you had a "friendly" relationship with her, you probably should have done because anything other than a direct comment on what you needed her to do could lead her to interpret things some other way because you don't know her and she doesn't know you.

She probably felt embarrassed. No, that's not your problem. However, there's no reason to add to it.

[quote] An assistant there told me he could hear her say I obviously had a bias (yes, she's a person of color - I'm biracial but look white and I don't discuss my or anyone else's racial heritage at work) and I needed to be "straightened out" - the exact term.

Was the assistant in on the conversation or did he simply overhear her say it? If he wasn't in on it then it's office gossip! Unless you heard it yourself, you don't know exactly what she said. Did HR come back and talk to you? No? So that's all you need to know. They didn't think it was important enough to.

[quote] She said I just needed to fix her work and that she thought I was being unfair.

You went to your boss over an assistant's misspelled word, comment to you that you from the assistant that she said to you that you should have just said she needed to fix it without the hoopla and conjecture over what she possibly said to "HR" based upon what someone else told you who she wasn't actually addressing and was probably speaking in a non-official capacity to you.

She didn't destroy documents, come in late, was rude to someone on the phone, steal a computer, etc. She misspelled a word. Has she done it before? I only know what you said and based upon that since HR didn't come and talk to you about what the woman "supposedly" said - you should have just fixed it and moved on.

You could have just gone to the woman, said, "Sorry if that came out wrong but I do need you to fix this. Thank you!" and moved on.

by Anonymousreply 24December 10, 2015 4:42 AM

[quote] And they wonder why companies are outsourcing job overseas.

The people doing that could not spell cataclysmic either. In fact, they wouldn't know what it means.

by Anonymousreply 25December 10, 2015 4:48 AM

[quote]I learned the importance of spelling by a boss who kicked back any memo with a misspelling. Those where handwritten memos, too.

I'm kicking your post back to you, r11.

That's all.

(Get me a new r11 by lunch.)

by Anonymousreply 26December 10, 2015 4:57 AM

R25 Depends where they are.

by Anonymousreply 27December 10, 2015 4:59 AM

[quote] they wouldn't know what it means.

Very much possible. However they are willing to use google to find its meaning and they are willing to learn from the feedback provided by their bosses .

They are not arrogant snowflakes like the assistant mentioned in OP post

by Anonymousreply 28December 10, 2015 5:00 AM

LOL R5

by Anonymousreply 29December 10, 2015 5:03 AM

R19, what is a "quick & atrocious sketch"?

Are we reinventing the meaning of words here?

by Anonymousreply 30December 10, 2015 5:11 AM

She has a master's degree and she can't spell? She's a fucking moron. It isn't your job to protect her from that fact.

I agree with you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 31December 10, 2015 5:14 AM

R19, make them find Andorra, sit back with a Margarita, and have a good laugh.

by Anonymousreply 32December 10, 2015 5:16 AM

Wrong R28. None of these idiots has ever made money or improved customer service by outsourcing jobs overseas. They did it because they are mentally challenged conservatives and libertarian punks who would rather blow up the country in a suicide mission than accept criticism from their workers. It takes a special kind of arrogance and stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 33December 10, 2015 5:18 AM

OP, as low quality goes, apply that to your professionalism.

Life is not DL. If any of your snarky bitchy attitude came across, it's not appropriate for someone in a superior position. You laughed at her. You're the bitch boss. And stupid in this day and age, given that you should've known the racial implications.

by Anonymousreply 34December 10, 2015 5:34 AM

Zuckenberg ,Bill Gates, Larry Larry Page, CEO of IBM, Tim Cook, and all those CEO of many other big companies are conservatives .

by Anonymousreply 35December 10, 2015 5:35 AM

Zuckenberg ,Bill Gates, Larry Larry Page, CEO of IBM, Tim Cook, and all those CEO of many other big companies are conservatives ???

by Anonymousreply 36December 10, 2015 5:36 AM

R19 here, my sketch was quick and atrocious. I am not a gifted artist, but I doodled an outline of England, France, Iberian peninsula, Italy, Greece, Mediterranean Sea, big blob for Asia, and more blobs for northern Europe. It wasn't pretty, but you could get the idea of where Spain was located. Quick, yes, and atrocious, very much so.

by Anonymousreply 37December 10, 2015 5:47 AM

Hopefully, OP, you've read the thread about the Supreme Court justice (Scalia?) suggesting blacks to go "easier" colleges. Your assistant demonstrates how stupid "they" often are. "Cattle clysmic"? Ought to get FIRED for that. Fuck her.

by Anonymousreply 38December 10, 2015 5:50 AM

I LOVE R23s response! That special Millenial snowflake has never heard of a typewriter!!!

by Anonymousreply 39December 10, 2015 3:44 PM

I work with some 20 - 30 year old immigrants r20 and they are just as bad.

by Anonymousreply 40December 11, 2015 2:38 AM

I agree with R38, I'd have fired her.

by Anonymousreply 41December 11, 2015 3:55 AM

I'm with you. I'm black, and I don't care what race the person is - lazy and unintelligent have no place in my office, either.

But for HR purposes, make sure you protect yourself. Any intelligent peraon in her position would have corrected the error rather than drawing attention to it. Let her make a fool of herself. It really doesn't help calling her out on it, and she doesn't realize that she could learn from this.

by Anonymousreply 42December 11, 2015 4:18 AM

OP-

2 generations of government miseducation and political correctness has finally succeeded- it has turned anyone under 25 into simpering idiots who think showing up 10 minutes late is "on time" and that any criticism is a personal attack.

Public schools should be abolished- they are just internment camps for the 20% of smart kids, and playgrounds for the 80% of Indigo Idiots.

by Anonymousreply 43December 11, 2015 4:22 AM

I'm still chuckling over "cattle clysmic." What the hell did she think she was typing? A livestock report?

by Anonymousreply 44December 11, 2015 4:27 AM

R33 made me laugh- that level of stupid is the new normal. I'll bet she is the special snowflake the OP described.

Anyone who thinks that outsourcing jobs overseas is due to libertarians is right- as long as the government keeps churning out sub-morons from college and adding a few hundred pages of new regulations every week, jobs will continue to move to areas that aren't burdened with high taxes, onerous regulations and a talent pool that can't swim.

Once again, libertarians are ahead of the curve.

by Anonymousreply 45December 11, 2015 4:32 AM

-10/10

by Anonymousreply 46December 11, 2015 4:34 AM

The OP never actually happened

0/10

by Anonymousreply 47December 11, 2015 5:06 AM

The poor child has been kept on a peddle stool her whole life, OP! You just had to go and give her a tongue and cheek response and now she thinks you're star-craving mad. The next time it happens pull yourself up by your boots traps, put one of your posable thumbs on the "delete" key and fix it yourself. Fate accompli!

You don't want to do anything that will cause you your job. It's a doggy-dog world and I would hate to see you in a straight jacket, curled up in the feeble position, because you fermented so much unrest at work that someone decided to extract revenge on you.

Please take my advice with a grain assault and know that you have my upmost sympathy.

by Anonymousreply 48December 11, 2015 5:10 AM

R48 gets the point across.

by Anonymousreply 49December 11, 2015 5:34 AM

"Grain assault" is great--I'll have to start using that. Nice job, R48.

by Anonymousreply 50December 11, 2015 5:41 AM

Posts containing speciesism should come with a trigger warning.

by Anonymousreply 51December 11, 2015 3:22 PM

[quote]It's a doggy-dog world

r48, girl, you fired.

by Anonymousreply 52December 11, 2015 3:27 PM

R48, you should probably stop advising her on a public forum. You don't want the company to track you down and send you a cyst and deceased letter!

by Anonymousreply 53December 11, 2015 3:27 PM

This may have been mentioned already, but a study has found that young people respond poorly to texts with punctuation. Apparently if you take the time to actually use a period, you are insincere. It appears that the same feelings apply to spelling. It is more important to type quickly and spontaneously. If you take the time to correct spelling, it is perceived as calculating and cold.

by Anonymousreply 54December 11, 2015 3:35 PM

Op, yes, the assistant is under-educated in the way most Americans are. However, your lack of grace is almost as embarrassing. The one who was "escalating" is you, and I am sure that's not the first time you've done that, erroneously believing yourself SO superior to everyone you work with.

by Anonymousreply 55December 11, 2015 3:37 PM

"Grain assault"

LOL.

by Anonymousreply 56December 11, 2015 3:43 PM

WHERE ARE THE SJW ?!?!?

by Anonymousreply 57December 11, 2015 3:48 PM

You don't HELP someone by coddling their mistakes and not telling them. MAKING MISTAKES AND BEING CORRECTED IS HOW YOU LEARN.

OP, this is just bullshit and you should make it clear. And your "assistant" should be forced to look up the word, and correct it, and hand it in, or she doesn't get paid. SERIOUSLY. WTF?

by Anonymousreply 58December 11, 2015 3:50 PM

Apparently there is (was) such a thing as "Clysmic water," it's an old fashioned brand of mineral water from Waukesha, Wisconsin.

So is "cattle Clysmic," mineral water that has been shat in by cattle?

You might suggest that spelling matters because it changes the meaning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59December 11, 2015 3:53 PM

Lies and garbage, biracial troll.

by Anonymousreply 60December 11, 2015 3:59 PM

R55 is utterly full of shit. What the FUCK is wrong with you?

by Anonymousreply 61December 11, 2015 4:34 PM

R48 made me laugh out loud... that was brilliant.

Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 62December 11, 2015 4:36 PM

When I grew up on our farm in St. Olaff, we had lots of cattle clysmics.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63December 11, 2015 4:50 PM

R55, OP is obviously superior in literacy to a person that thinks "cattle clysmic" is a word.

That's not an opinion, that's a fact.

by Anonymousreply 64December 11, 2015 4:55 PM

Thanks, R53. I'll take your advice into the count.

by Anonymousreply 65December 11, 2015 5:03 PM

The youngers tend to have problems with genital odor. Because, Mommy. With the bros/brahs it's mostly from the stank sleeve. They can't spell either.

by Anonymousreply 66December 11, 2015 5:15 PM

You're correct, OP, she grossly overreacted when she went to HR because you asked her to correct a foolish mistake. Ego issues along with a poor education and topped off with a healthy dose of entitlement. I'm an editor for an online news service and what I've seen in the last ten years would boggle the mind. Absolutely keep a log of all interactions while she works for you and save all of her mistakes. As long as you keep your cool, she's the one who has to watch her back. She's already outed herself as a troublemaker over a mere word and now they're watching her.

by Anonymousreply 67December 11, 2015 5:34 PM

There's a person at my work who will file an HR report against you if you use gender-specific pronouns directed at him/her. He/she goes by "Jaime" and is clearly a guy. Just a gay kid, maybe 24 or so. Not trans, not transitioning, not a transvestite, not androgynous, just your average gay kid. We've all been directed to use "Jaime" when referring to this person in any manner within a work capacity.

So, a meeting goes something like this. "I'll have Jaime take a look at it, then Jaime will let you know if there are edits to be made. Once you've finalized the edits, send them back to Jaime so that Jaime can update the web site."

Instead of, "Jaime will be in charge of the edits so send everything through to him."

Such a complete waste of time, energy, and brain power.

by Anonymousreply 68December 11, 2015 6:14 PM

R68 - Use 'it' as a gender neutral pronoun. See how that goes over with 'Jaime'.

by Anonymousreply 69December 11, 2015 6:25 PM

The funniest typo I found in a letter was from an attorney who was hired to help out on a case in our firm. The attorney sent the usual boilerplate letter. I laughed so hard. Then I gave it to my (straight) boss and he laughed even harder. I figured it was the secretary's last day and s/he wanted to have some fun, or maybe get back at the boss. The funny line in the letter:

"From time to time I may need to be assfisted by other attorneys in my office."

(Of course the "s" and "f" are right next to each other, but ... lol

by Anonymousreply 70December 11, 2015 6:52 PM

IT'S MIND-BOTTLING!!

Jimmy: Did you just say mind-bottling?

Chazz: Yeah, mind-bottling. You know, when things are so crazy it gets your thoughts all trapped, like in a bottle?

by Anonymousreply 71December 11, 2015 6:58 PM

It's a doggy-dog world, my friend.

by Anonymousreply 72December 11, 2015 7:01 PM

r61: truly competent people don't throw hissy fits over spelling errors AND then post about their grievance on a forum. Loser.

by Anonymousreply 73December 11, 2015 7:04 PM

r70 , the s and f are not right next to each other but that is still a funny story.

by Anonymousreply 74December 11, 2015 7:06 PM

R73, you're still completely full of shit. And wrong. And an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 75December 11, 2015 7:06 PM

R38, She would be persona au gratin in my office. I'm not one to camelflage my feelings.

by Anonymousreply 76December 11, 2015 7:14 PM

[quote] I'm still chuckling over "cattle clysmic." What the hell did she think she was typing? A livestock report?

LOL! This cannot be repeated enough.

The reality is it indicates a number of things.

1. She is ignorant of the world in general and general references.

2. Unless, as said above, a reference to cattle makes sense she is

a) too aftaid of you to ask and show her lack of understanding, or

b) too lazy or uninterested to bother.

Not much you can do about 1 but you can deal with 2a and even 2b.

Considering that she ran crying to complain about you, I'd say she is suffering from 2a.

Have a talk with her.

by Anonymousreply 77December 11, 2015 7:18 PM

It happens at my job, from the department heads.

"May you look over the file and see if it's ready to go?"

The first time I saw that I plotzed. Then it spread and now it's the norm. And yes, the one who started it is a special snowflake who is also in charge of the holiday decorations.

by Anonymousreply 78December 11, 2015 7:19 PM

Slow clap for r48. The reason many of these mistakes are made is that a lot of young -uns don't READ anymore ! Have you seen corrections on high school papers lately? C level work is getting A marks - shameful.

by Anonymousreply 79December 11, 2015 7:40 PM

r75: you have a PhD in assholery, don't you?

by Anonymousreply 80December 11, 2015 7:55 PM

No, I have a PhD in calling out assholery and full-of-shitness like that which you exhibit.

by Anonymousreply 81December 11, 2015 8:00 PM

[quote]I learned the importance of spelling by a boss who kicked back any memo with a misspelling. Those where handwritten memos, too. I'm with you, OP.

Opposite experience here. A boss was transferred to a lower visibility position when I stopped correcting his mistakes. He had it coming.

by Anonymousreply 82December 11, 2015 8:23 PM

You people both have a "poop" obsession.

by Anonymousreply 83December 11, 2015 8:23 PM

OP, MOMMY AND DADDY TOLD HER TO REPORT YOU!!!!

by Anonymousreply 84December 11, 2015 9:16 PM

I've heard this urban legend before.

by Anonymousreply 85December 11, 2015 9:48 PM

R48 managed to post on of my favorite responses of the year. That's no small feet.

by Anonymousreply 86December 11, 2015 10:11 PM

R48 has very large feet. You know what they say, large feet, large Croc.

by Anonymousreply 87December 11, 2015 10:21 PM

I wanna hear more about the OP passing as white. Yeah, no wonder you don't discuss anyone's racial background. People who are passing usually dont.

by Anonymousreply 88December 11, 2015 10:28 PM

R68, I hope you are pronouncing that HIGHmay and not JAYmee.

by Anonymousreply 89December 11, 2015 10:28 PM

Some may think DL coal-hearted, but your kind words have me balling my eyes out, R86. Plus, you type attractive. Your dough eyes and dashboard abs shine brightly in every word you type!! <-- Two explanation points for you!

by Anonymousreply 90December 11, 2015 10:36 PM

Years ago there was a little magazine for copy editors. (I can't remember the name; a copy editor friend introduced me to it.) Its most popular feature was a list of egregiously bad spelling and grammar mistakes. One that sticks with me was from the early 1990s. A reporter wrote that Camilla Parker Bowles was Prince Charles's "power mower."

by Anonymousreply 91December 11, 2015 11:04 PM

It's "Ja'mie," R89, and they/ze/sie/mx is very quiche.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92December 11, 2015 11:57 PM

[quote]"May you look over the file and see if it's ready to go?"

Wait -- that's how a manager requests that a direct report do something?

by Anonymousreply 93December 11, 2015 11:59 PM

I hate being taken for granite.

by Anonymousreply 94December 12, 2015 12:16 AM

Our Father who art in Heaven, Hollywood be thy name.

by Anonymousreply 95December 12, 2015 12:34 AM

R93: Instead of "Will you" or "Can you" she says "May you."

I hate her.

by Anonymousreply 96December 12, 2015 2:31 AM

R96, hate her? You ought to just PITY her!

Anyway for you - or other posters in their jobs - to anonymously send these people a grammar book of some sort??

by Anonymousreply 97December 12, 2015 4:09 AM

It's not only that people read less it's also that the youngest have come to rely so much on their device's spelling checker and autocomplete capabilities. And since the spelling checker did not raise a red flag as she absent-mindedly typed "cattle clysmic", then it must be Microsoft's fault, not her, right?

by Anonymousreply 98December 12, 2015 4:32 AM

[quote]A reporter wrote that Camilla Parker Bowles was Prince Charles's "power mower."

I don't get it. What was the idiot trying to write?

by Anonymousreply 99December 13, 2015 8:34 AM

Why on earth would you discuss anyone's racial heritage at work?

That's a surefire way to get HR on your ass, or even get fired.

by Anonymousreply 100December 13, 2015 8:36 AM

Power mower-------Paramour.

For all intensive purposes, r48 nailed it. Well done.

Sounds like the there was ramping and raging happening in that orifice.

by Anonymousreply 101December 13, 2015 8:53 AM

R68, are you for real? What kind of complete pussies would put up with that, and, more importantly, what kind of HR department?

by Anonymousreply 102December 13, 2015 9:14 AM

It's all one in the same anyway. Supposably.

by Anonymousreply 103December 13, 2015 12:00 PM

I always thought "for all intensive purposes" was used strictly jokingly.

by Anonymousreply 104December 13, 2015 12:09 PM

I agree with the poster who advised the utmost caution. I've seen situations like this and entitled millennials filing bulling charges on trivial issues-- usually at some Baby Boomer who isn't used to dealing with their hair trigger & PC sensitivities. If the millenial is female they'll use another millennial female to back up the charge and suggest further working difficulties. Then all bets are off, and it can escalate terribly. Then it's usually the older person who gets asked to leave, as they become a toxic issue. HR's focus is protect the company against charges of being a discriminatory environment: not the rights or wrongs of performance. Beware!

by Anonymousreply 105December 13, 2015 1:10 PM

If only that were true, r104.

by Anonymousreply 106December 13, 2015 5:22 PM

R104, I always thought it was "intensive porpoises", like Flipper.

by Anonymousreply 107December 13, 2015 6:11 PM

Why would the word "cataclysmic" be used in business correspondence?

by Anonymousreply 108December 13, 2015 6:20 PM

[quote]Why would the word "cataclysmic" be used in business correspondence?

For the DRAMA!!!!!!11!!11!!!

by Anonymousreply 109December 13, 2015 6:51 PM

OP never specified the industry they're in.

by Anonymousreply 110December 13, 2015 7:04 PM

R105-

You should create a new post for that bit of insight. What you are describing sounds like a disaster of epic proportions- some might say cattle clysmic- in the offing.

Pity the poor foolish eldergay who bitchily remarks to some Indigo Child about how the new girl looks like she just got fucked before coming to work. HR will kill themselves over that one.

by Anonymousreply 111December 13, 2015 7:45 PM

I've experienced similar bullshit from 20-somethings in the workplace. They cannot take constructive feedback at all. They don't want to hear about their mistakes, and when you force them to listen and learn, they make a thousand excuses as to why THEIR mistakes are somehow not their fault. My favorite always begins with, "Well I didn't know that [fill in the blank] . . . " After getting this excuse, I always say, "Did you look it up? Did you ask me? Did you seek out help on it? No, you just figured you'd do it without bothering to ask any questions. That shows no independent thought."

They also interrupt me all the time. I've just taken to shutting them down and saying, "I'm going to need you to stop talking when I'm talking and stop interrupting me. Can you do that for me?" I make them say yes and then if they interrupt again, I just raise my hand and say, "Remember, no interrupting." They even start looking around and don't pay any attention if they can't do all the talking. I really don't know how the hell these kids were raised, but I definitely blame the parents.

by Anonymousreply 112December 13, 2015 8:32 PM

R112, I had an assistant who was exactly as you describe. Claimed to never know anything, including things we had discussed multiple, multiple times. And he didn't interrupt me per se, but would try to finish my sentences, which meant he wasn't listening to how I was finishing them. Probably why he never remembered anything we discussed.

He finally went to HR and we had to have a meeting with HR and my supervisor because I didn't speak his millennial language. I have never ever in 30 years in the workplace had an issue like this. So much wasted time and manpower. Thank God he's gone.

by Anonymousreply 113December 13, 2015 8:36 PM

[quote]After getting this excuse, I always say, "Did you look it up? Did you ask me? Did you seek out help on it? No, you just figured you'd do it without bothering to ask any questions. [bold]That shows no independent thought[/bold]." To me, that shows too much independent thought.

I had a friend a lot like the assistant you describe. Always interrupting. Never listening. Always finishing my sentences. ADHD, he claimed. He was 50 on his last birthday.

by Anonymousreply 114December 13, 2015 8:56 PM

The first book I'd ever bring to work (before 1994) was a dictionary (now I use the Internet). There was a jury a while back that was ridiculed for asking for a dictionary. I think that only the ridiculers should be ridiculed. I never understood why they were made fun of.

by Anonymousreply 115December 13, 2015 8:59 PM

I thank the office gods every day that my work is too difficult for a millennial to get in. We've had interns come and go, and we've had to fix their crappy "work" every time.

One time, I gave an intern a copy of the Chicago Style Guide and the intern looked at it like it was a loaded weapon.

by Anonymousreply 116December 13, 2015 9:06 PM

One can only hope that those of us over 40 (in my case, WAY over) will live to see idiot millennials replaced by: ROBOTS. Who, at least, can't talk back.

by Anonymousreply 117December 13, 2015 9:11 PM

I had a similar issue as some of you.

My job involved a fair bit of data entry, and due to the industry I was in, it was vital that all information be entered accurately.

A couple of new bitches were hired, and their data entry skills were the shits, so I was constantly correcting their work. Now, I wasn't coming up to them and bitching them out, or laughing at their idiocy, or even saying a single word; I would simply circle the mistakes on the hardcopy printout [which was how it was always done] and correct the mistake in the computer.

Apparently, by circling their extensive mistakes, I was "picking on them" and "being abusive". And, no, I am not fucking kidding, I actually got written up for DOING MY FUCKING JOB CORRECTLY.

by Anonymousreply 118December 14, 2015 4:13 AM

R118-

Let me guess- BLS? Or IRS? DMV?

Most private sector companies now have computer interfaces that do most data entry, bypassing the idiots.

by Anonymousreply 119December 14, 2015 4:26 AM

[Quote]The poor child has been kept on a peddle stool her whole life, OP!

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 120December 14, 2015 4:39 AM

In the 80s I remember my manager screwing up any mistakes I made and pelting my head with the paper balls. It was meant half jokingly, but imagine that happening today!

by Anonymousreply 121December 14, 2015 5:05 AM

Got any scriptwriting skills OP? The SyFy Channel is always looking for scenarios for creature/doomsday TV movies. "Cattleclysim" sounds like it'd be right up they're alley...

by Anonymousreply 122December 14, 2015 5:37 AM

Well, the chickens have come home to roast and unfortunately all of you are paying the price rather than the parents who created these monsters. Luckily, it is within your spear of influence to modify their behavior. Letting your snowflakes see you outside of work will force them recognize you as a human being rather than just a majority figure. This will work best on their hollow ground — the mall multiple-X!

Take them to see Star Wars. The theme of good-verses evil will unite you as a team as you cheer for the good guys on the Millennial Falcon as they come within a hare's breath of being wiped out by the bad guys — Dark Vader and his Storm Droopers. Who knows? Maybe Carrie Fisher will wear her Princess Layer bikini again with the little metal thingys over her never regions!

So, take over the rains and give it a try! I'll be on tender hooks waiting to hear how it goes.

by Anonymousreply 123December 14, 2015 5:43 AM

But will you be weighting with baited breath, R123?

by Anonymousreply 124December 14, 2015 6:11 AM

You know, R118, if "went postal" and shot and killed your beyond-idiotic supervisor(s) who wrote you up for DOING YOUR JOB - if I were on the jury, I wouldn't convict you! I HOPE you quit that job?????

by Anonymousreply 125December 14, 2015 11:11 AM

Yes r123, all they need is some more team bonding. And what better venue for it than the heap of suppurating shit that is a Star Wars sequel. God bless Amurka!

by Anonymousreply 126December 14, 2015 11:36 AM

My boss would rip up any resume with a spelling error.

by Anonymousreply 127December 14, 2015 11:46 AM

It's hilarious that R120 thinks she's soooo clever by catching that "spelling mistake".

by Anonymousreply 128December 14, 2015 10:28 PM

A friend of mine wouldn't hire someone with dirty shoes.

by Anonymousreply 129December 14, 2015 10:48 PM

Yes, r122! "If you thought a Sharknado was terrifying, wait until....The Cattle Clysm!!!"

by Anonymousreply 130December 14, 2015 10:59 PM

R122 - It's hard to know in this thread what is intentional, and what really is an obvious grammar error - 'sounds like it'd be right up THEY'RE alley...' Here goes regardless -

Oh dear

by Anonymousreply 131December 14, 2015 11:38 PM

R123 is the beast. He is was Datalounge were be.

by Anonymousreply 132December 15, 2015 12:12 AM

"Last week I was asked by three millennials if I knew where Spain was."

Last week I was told by a dozen baby boomers that they are voting for Trump.

Republicans are so stupid. They attack millennials, but endorse right-wing views that no intelligent person believes. God bless millennials for being liberal and smart.

by Anonymousreply 133December 15, 2015 12:28 AM

It's fare to mention that millennial's cloths are very frequently not appropriate for work, especially they're heals which are to high.

by Anonymousreply 134December 15, 2015 12:35 AM

The sad thing is the "Cattle Clysm Movie" would probably be a huge hit.

Hell, I'd watch it!

by Anonymousreply 135December 15, 2015 6:29 AM

What is this garbledy gook, R132?

by Anonymousreply 136December 15, 2015 6:47 AM

[quote]You went to your boss over an assistant's misspelled word, comment to you that you from the assistant that she said to you that you should have just said she needed to fix it without the hoopla and conjecture over what she possibly said to "HR" based upon what someone else told you who she wasn't actually addressing and was probably speaking in a non-official capacity to you.

Huh? If you meant sarcasm with this paragraph, it sort of drowned.

by Anonymousreply 137December 15, 2015 7:33 AM

R136

Pay attendance. The pot is calling the kettle retarded.

by Anonymousreply 138December 17, 2015 11:01 PM

WW for R48

by Anonymousreply 139December 18, 2015 3:02 AM

you're lucky if you attend a hs which has you write papers at all [R79]

by Anonymousreply 140January 30, 2016 1:38 PM

where do you guys work because i want to work there too. the job i held for any reasonable amount of time i got fired for complaining about assault. that's not illegal if it doesn't happen w/i the context of gender or race.

by Anonymousreply 141January 30, 2016 1:46 PM

It took me way too long to read that, R48. My brain hurts now.

by Anonymousreply 142May 21, 2020 1:19 AM

Only hire men. It's easier than you think.

by Anonymousreply 143May 21, 2020 1:27 AM

r28 that's such a lie. I spend half my day cleaning up messes made by people overseas who don't understand anything they're doing.

by Anonymousreply 144May 21, 2020 1:37 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!