Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Being Handsome is a Living HELL!

My heart just bleeds reading this. Obviously, he's not gay because no handsome gay man would ever, ever say this.

"t’s not easy being a man, you know,” Dylan Moran once said. “I had to get dressed today … and there are other pressures.” Most men tackle this daunting prospect with good planning, cultivating a wardrobe of sensible, durable clothing that will keep us warm as we chase our monthly sit-on mower sales targets, and that – crucially – will mean we don’t stand out.

Never stand out. Resist the urge to roll up the bottoms of your trousers to reveal a bare ankle; embrace the social camouflage of muted blues and greys. Slap that gaudy pocket square out of a naive friend’s hand if necessary.

You knew all this – of course you did – but you probably weren’t aware of a new challenge to being a successful man. This bear-trap is the curse of handsomeness. According to a new study from University College London’s School of Management, men are more likely to be overlooked for competitive roles that rely upon individual talent – sales positions, for example – if they are perceived as handsome.

Male superiors who fancy themselves as the alphas in your hedge fund, PPI call-centre or longbow showroom will pass you over for promotion, reluctant to place those they consider to be more handsome at the same level as themselves. Superficially, this seems insightful: why would your boss want to make it any harder to lech on the interns at the double-glazing sales division’s Christmas party by removing the one trump card he has – the fact that he earns more than the handsome guys, and can sack them when he wants?

Handsomeness, or so researchers believe, is equated with competency. What about good-looking women, you may be wondering. Apparently they don’t need to worry, “as female attractiveness wasn’t associated with competence”. But that’s a subject for another day.

The problem with this study – beyond the fact that the UCL team must have discovered the elixir of eternal business growth and perfect job satisfaction – is that the procedure for assessing the bias against handsome people seems to have been little more than to show photographs of candidates during a CV sift. This method produces a gaping flaw that I or any other physically gifted man will happily let you in on: the rise of male grooming, and the widespread suspicion that anyone who looks good owes it to hours in front of a dressing-table mirror rather than genes and exercise.

Of course no leader of men in his or her right mind would promote a man fixated on his own appearance. You can’t give a speech to a room of oil magnates if you’re constantly distracted by your reflection in the autocue. You won’t have the briefing ready for that construction seminar with the Saudis if you’re still applying stage two of the face mask cleanser that leaves your skin as fresh and zesty as an apple grown on the side of Mount Fuji. More seriously, your peers might just think that you’re a raging narcissist. And most bosses haven’t got a clue when it come to distinguishing between the naturally handsome and those who spend every waking hour trying to compete with us.

In any case, good looks do not get you out of every situation. If I underprepare for a meeting, even a winning smile isn’t going to buy me more than 20 or 30 minutes lateness as I gen up in the nearest available washroom. No sane person selects a dentist or radiographer on the basis of their physical features, although I’m sure some people out there do use attractiveness as a yardstick for competence when selecting a children’s nanny, or pool cleaner."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21May 20, 2022 11:19 PM

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 1January 29, 2021 5:27 AM

The Grauniad is filling up with rubbish.

by Anonymousreply 2January 29, 2021 5:29 AM

The guy who wrote that article was exposed as being a serial sex pest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 29, 2021 6:13 AM

I wonder if men with extremely big dicks have similar problems. We assume that every door is open for them, but maybe they experience discrimination from inferior straight men. No normally endowed man is going to want to do a presentation alongside a guy with a massive, mesmerizing bulge.

by Anonymousreply 4January 29, 2021 6:21 AM

I read an article about that, R4, by Biggus Dickus. It was in Latin, of course, but he says the same thing this guy does.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 29, 2021 6:48 AM

Read the article, people. IT'S SNARK.

It bashes the "study" as not a study at all. And the author, who is NOT handsome; not terrible but really plain., jokingly includes himself in the handsomeness-causing-grief grouping.

Here's a snippet: "Of course no leader of men in his or her right mind would promote a man fixated on his own appearance. You can’t give a speech to a room of oil magnates if you’re constantly distracted by your reflection in the autocue."

"From now until the end of time, you can cling to this study as sufficient proof that every unfortunate work or social incident that befalls you is actually evidence of your handsomeness. Sure, you’ll be kidding yourself, but most people get away with a bit of self-delusion."

by Anonymousreply 6January 29, 2021 7:00 AM

You know what is worse, being ugly.

by Anonymousreply 7January 29, 2021 10:21 AM

We all struggle in our own way and most of the time silently dismiss other people's struggles as trivial.

by Anonymousreply 8January 29, 2021 11:30 AM

In other news today, the the number of CORONA viruses is at 100 million as of today.

by Anonymousreply 9January 29, 2021 3:17 PM

Fuck this stupid motherfucker.

Ungrateful fuck.

How about using your looks to do some good for those actually suffering? Animals? The environment?

by Anonymousreply 10January 29, 2021 3:20 PM

So it must be worse than hell for an ugly pig 2015 Bump Troll slob like R1.

by Anonymousreply 11January 29, 2021 3:26 PM

The writer is making fun of the research, R10; he isn't handsome and knows he isn't. You massively missed the point.

by Anonymousreply 12January 29, 2021 3:26 PM

Sarcasm transmits badly in print.

He's not only not handsome, he's also not funny.

by Anonymousreply 13January 29, 2021 3:28 PM

The writer is clearly snarking, only a brain dead moron would think otherwise.

Plus, there are about a bajillion articles about how being a fattie or a fuggo has negative impacts on one's career.

by Anonymousreply 14January 29, 2021 3:29 PM

I was in group therapy years ago and one guy's major issue was that his boyfriend was "so gorgeous" and "looks like a model". While that may be a legitimate cause of insecurity, I really couldn't relate to the hell he was going through.

by Anonymousreply 15January 29, 2021 4:11 PM

[quote] I really couldn't relate to the hell he was going through.

There's a difference between not being able to relate someone's struggle and someone who is able to show empathy and compassion for someone else's struggle. One makes you a human being and the other makes you a sociopath.

by Anonymousreply 16January 29, 2021 4:18 PM

Many studies show that handsome men get great advantages both in the work place and in personal life, so this whining is idiotic

by Anonymousreply 18February 28, 2022 4:59 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 19May 20, 2022 10:38 PM

BLOCKED!

by Anonymousreply 20May 20, 2022 10:44 PM

The Guardian newspaper is propaganda troll central.

by Anonymousreply 21May 20, 2022 11:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!