Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Barbra Streisand says her difficult reputation is not true

She doesn't like the word (as well as "aggressive") and hates that they've been applied to her.

She also says that if she were a man, she never would have been labelled that way.

Streisand is also hard at work on a new studio album, which is to be another Broadway album.

And she is directing again!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160February 7, 2018 5:23 PM

Why doesn't she make an album with a hit on it?

by Anonymousreply 1December 9, 2015 6:44 PM

R1; idiot

by Anonymousreply 2December 9, 2015 6:49 PM

Please go back to writing your Pretty Little Liars fan fiction R1. We'll call you if we need you.

by Anonymousreply 3December 9, 2015 6:52 PM

I've always wondered if her rep was a little overblown. That incident with Mike Wallace back on that NYC station early in her career wasn't nearly as bad as people made it out to be. There's audio of it and she's clearly being charming and not very hostile at all. Wallace and others tried to make it sound like a meltdown.

by Anonymousreply 4December 9, 2015 7:05 PM

This broad is still trying to happen?

by Anonymousreply 5December 9, 2015 7:09 PM

[quote]She doesn't like the word (as well as "aggressive") and hates that they've been applied to her

How does she feel about "cunt?"

by Anonymousreply 6December 9, 2015 7:15 PM

Does she also dislike middlebrow, gauche, pedestrian, simpleminded, egomaniacal and predictable? They're all descriptive of her personality and have no gender bias. I'd rather own aggressive and difficult than the others.

by Anonymousreply 7December 9, 2015 8:05 PM

Ryan O'Neal dated both Babs and Diana Ross. He said later he was stunned by some of the Diva behavior of Diana. Stuff Babs wouldn't even dream of doing.

by Anonymousreply 8December 9, 2015 8:07 PM

I had a friend who worked at a party for her. She didn't like men with beards (this was before Brolin), so no one with a beard could work the party. They also couldn't look at her.

I've heard various reporters talk about how she keeps them waiting a long time. Longer than most.

by Anonymousreply 9December 9, 2015 8:15 PM

The late Joan Rivers talked abouot Barbara Steisand some years ago when she had a redio talk show. B.S. had just married James Brolin. She and B.S. go way back to the earlier years of their careers in NYC before either broke through and became hugely sucvessful. She said they wdere never close friends, but always friendly. She said tht she loved how whenever she and B.S. crossed paths she'd call her Joan Molinsky, which was her name back then. Anywa she said the B.S.'s reputation for being a bitch was way overblown. She said that she didn't know James Brolin, except by reputation, and tht his reputation inside the biz was that of a real, classy gentleman. Anyway, J.R. stated on the air something along the lines of, how bad could B.S. be if she could land a teriffic guy like J.B.? Lets face it gang, theyve been marrie dnow for what? Twenty years? He doesnt need her money and hes not shy about getting divorced, hes done it twice so far. B.S. must have something going for her if she can hold on to this man. Just my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 10December 9, 2015 8:24 PM

[quote]Ryan O'Neal dated both Babs and Diana Ross. He said later he was stunned by some of the Diva behavior of Diana. Stuff Babs wouldn't even dream of doing.

I wasn't into anal

by Anonymousreply 11December 9, 2015 8:56 PM

What silly reasoning @ R10

The fact that JB is with her doesn't make her less of a bitch. What bizarre reasoning.

by Anonymousreply 12December 9, 2015 8:58 PM

There's a million stories about what a cunt she is professionally. One of my favorites is Bruce Vilanch telling her to "sell a fucking lamp!" In Get Bruce.

The whole "they wouldn't say that about a man" is such bullshit. They'd call a man with her reputation an asshole!

by Anonymousreply 13December 9, 2015 9:12 PM

The most unpleasant thing about Joan is the way she name drops, such as her friendship with Prince Charles.

Yes she and Babs worked together decades ago, yet Joan makes it sound like they were on friendly terms. I'd bet that Babs barely crossed paths with Joan.

by Anonymousreply 14December 9, 2015 9:16 PM

[quote]She also says that if she were a man, she never would have been labelled that way.

I get so sick of women who say this shit. Yes they do to. Male or female, if you're an asshole, you're an asshole and you will get called out on it.

by Anonymousreply 15December 9, 2015 10:46 PM

Maybe she was molested.

by Anonymousreply 16December 9, 2015 11:00 PM

One of the most overrated singers in american history!

Who was it again that told the story of Streisand only going on the road with full staff while as Judy Garland went on tour without a lightning director, any PA system that was available and she was still 10 times the singer Streisand ever could be.

by Anonymousreply 17December 10, 2015 12:17 AM

[quote]One of the most overrated singers in american history!

I completely agree. Same goes for her acting.

by Anonymousreply 18December 10, 2015 12:22 AM

Judy Garland couldn't afford to PAY that kind of staff, R17. She was already running out of hotels without paying the bills at that point.

by Anonymousreply 19December 10, 2015 12:22 AM

We can see y'all don't know much about music or musical history! Carry on!

by Anonymousreply 20December 10, 2015 12:23 AM

Babs is the one who taught me that life is a ball ah buttah

by Anonymousreply 21December 10, 2015 12:24 AM

Mike Wallace was a real bitch to her in a 60 minutes interview. Total asshole.

by Anonymousreply 22December 10, 2015 12:25 AM

*lighting director

The quote of how Streisand was pampered and Garland wasn't is in the link. The conductor who went on tour with both of them tells the story in youtube link starts around 1.05.00

Very interesting docu about Judy Garland, she was an absolute powerhouse!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23December 10, 2015 12:31 AM

R14 I agree with you about JR and her so-called friendships. She was known to exaggerate a lot. Prince Charles was her friend? I don't think so after he and the rest of the royal family were the targets of her insults. After that got tired she moved on to insult concentration camp victims. Her mouth got her into trouble and that's why she is dead.

by Anonymousreply 24December 10, 2015 12:33 AM

Hey, it's Christmas. Shouldn't that old cow be putting extra hours in down in her home shopping mall?

That merchandise ain't gonna sell itself, Babs. Chop chop.

by Anonymousreply 25December 10, 2015 12:39 AM

[quote]without a lightning director,

I hope she at least brought a long a thunder guy.

by Anonymousreply 26December 10, 2015 12:40 AM

I corrected it R26

by Anonymousreply 27December 10, 2015 1:03 AM

I am THE lightning director!

by Anonymousreply 28December 15, 2015 7:53 AM

r2

When was her last hit???

by Anonymousreply 29December 15, 2015 1:59 PM

R29 -- That's out of line, even for you...

by Anonymousreply 30December 15, 2015 6:52 PM

Moi, difficile? Pas du tout!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31December 15, 2015 6:59 PM

R5 are you a millennial? Listen, Barbra doesn't need to happen, she is like Greek philosophy, you see, timeless. An absolute classic.

by Anonymousreply 32December 15, 2015 7:00 PM

R32: more like a bad rash

by Anonymousreply 33December 15, 2015 7:01 PM

I remember I was barbecuing at a wedding in Malibu. One of the other barbacks told me about how he worked in construction, and how one time, he had to work in Barbra Streisand's house, and he said she was just a bitch, and you weren't allowed to make eye contact with her or something.

by Anonymousreply 34December 15, 2015 7:34 PM

Much like the vampires who must avoid the sunlight, Babs must avoid eye contact with decent human beings or she will combust and fall into piles of sardines & cow pies

by Anonymousreply 35December 15, 2015 7:53 PM

[quote]he had to work in Barbra Streisand's house, and he said she was just a bitch, and you weren't allowed to make eye contact with her or something.

of course, she is bloody ugly

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36December 15, 2015 11:34 PM

Nice. Trashing women again on DL?

by Anonymousreply 37December 15, 2015 11:46 PM

R37 = misogynist who thinks women are too frail to be subject to scrutiny and criticism. It thinks they are delicate flowers who must be protected and isolated.

Truth is: Babs is a big mouth, brassy broad who dishes it out and better be able to take it as well as she gives it

by Anonymousreply 38December 15, 2015 11:54 PM

I've always felt like I should turn in my gay card because I think she is incredibly overrated, and I like most stereotypical "gay icons" of yore.

by Anonymousreply 39December 15, 2015 11:54 PM

It's hilarious she thinks we can accept her word for it as to whether she's difficult or not. She's hardly an impartial third party.

by Anonymousreply 40December 16, 2015 12:04 AM

She could afford to be a little more magnanimous and a little less of a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 41December 16, 2015 12:10 AM

Barbra Streisand is without a doubt the most underrated female singer that ever existed . Her singing abilities have been superior to all others. Most of the negative comments made on this post are by frustrated, pathetic bottoms with condylomata-infected rectal prolapse. Stop bashing Barbra because she out-singers those diva wannabes like Judy, whitney, urethra, or Celine. Those second -rate singers could never measure up to the great Babs. All of you who deliberately defame Barbra out of spite should just do us a favor and jettison yourself off the nearest building.

by Anonymousreply 42December 16, 2015 12:26 AM

Not that I'm severely PRESSED or anything like that!

by Anonymousreply 43December 16, 2015 12:36 AM

R42: brushing it's wig and applying copious amounts of prep H

by Anonymousreply 44December 16, 2015 12:38 AM

R38 I think the comment was more about judging a 73 year old woman pctured without makeup or hair done as "bloody ugly", as if her only possible value as a person is how young and attractive she is.

by Anonymousreply 45December 16, 2015 12:43 AM

R45: if true, that person is a fool with an agenda. Most of the dialogue here has been about her ugly personality, temperament, and warbling singing voice

by Anonymousreply 46December 16, 2015 12:47 AM

I'm not particularly a fan. I've had two casual encounters with her. Both times she was sweet, low-key, and without a hint of "I'm a star" or diva about her.

But of course DL doesn't want to hear about it. I've related the encounters here over the years in the various and frequent "Barbara is a bitch/cunt/diva/egomaniac threads but as she wasn't being difficult with me it's just not DL material.

Through my experience I don't doubt that many of these stories are vastly exaggerated or flat out not true. Even if, yes, sometimes where there's smoke, there's fire, why the fuck would you care? People have ups and downs, here on DL it's predominately down.

by Anonymousreply 47December 16, 2015 12:49 AM

After 45 your face is a reflection of your personality.

Streisand is one of the most overrated Hollywood idiots that ever existed, and yes she is ugly inside and out.

by Anonymousreply 48December 16, 2015 12:51 AM

Streisand is difficult, precise in a vague way, a demanding perfectionist and no fun. I have no doubt that she called Rivers Joan Molinsky because the one thing Streisand is not, is ashamed. (Rivers was) Babs has a very specific humor and if you have ever listened to Donna Karan you can understand why they are the best of friends. They are funny in a very neurotic down to earth way, with zero sense of humor about themselves and their work, but unaware of anything else.

Streisand is a nightmare to work with or even to sell something to. She doesn't pick on the underclass, unless you are working in her home. She is so convinced of her POV and her correctness about EVERYTHING that she bulldozed even the greatest songwriters, producers, directors and musicians. She is not a snob or a BITCH, she is a difficult woman with a lot of power. She should own her reputation. She is admired but disliked, where is the warmth? Sentiment is not warmth. She has mellowed as she approaches death, everyone does. With trusted people she can be quite sweet, but her ego is always waiting in the wings.

Very few people involved in movie making or record producing are fond of her. She is lacking a sensitivity chip and has a gigantic ego. She refers to this OCD power trip as having high standards. Time and again she has done things her way, and forced others to her will, and the results have been mostly dreck. She is not so much overrated as underachieved. She never met her full potential or acknowledged her personal limitations. She may not have burned out on drugs or disastrous career decisions, but she burned her legacy with her early power plays and control freak ways that diminished her only real talent. To Sing. She had a once in a generation voice but disliked singing. In fact she refused to sing. Streisand always wanted to prove that she is a better actress, director, producer, activist, set decorator and beauty than to share the only thing she did well with an open heart and some abandon. She only started singing for people when her film career was over and her singing voice was past it's peak. She has been more than a huge success, but it is based largely on her recordings. She is a singer who communicates little but sound, but that sound was glorious on records.

She will be remembered for her philanthropy and a very few great recordings. Her name is on them. She does have some longtime close friends, none of them under 70 and none who haven't profited from their association with her. She is too difficult and not enough fun for real life. Streisand is an egotistical, narcissistic, obsessive compulsive pain in the ASS and a Limousine Liberal. Her reputation IS true. Not because she is a woman. Because she is THAT woman.

by Anonymousreply 49December 16, 2015 1:05 AM

[quote] Babs has a very specific humor

Such as her hilarious "I feel like such a faggot!" line.

by Anonymousreply 50December 16, 2015 1:08 AM

The Mad magazine spoof of her movies in '71 is not only hilarious but incredibly prescient.

It calls her out only 3 years after her first movie on everything that has been said about her for the last 47.

I believe it is on line and if you have the least bit of interest in her it is well worth seeking out.

I think she is talented far beyond being a great singer but her complete lack of any self awareness has undermined a great deal of what she has been trying to achieve.

And she really has been a dim-witted bore with the whole women are considered bitches routine. The old Hollywood moguls were considered fire breathing dragons, sons of bitches, bastards, every name in the book even when they were alive. People have never held back calling powerful, aggressive men heartless monsters, devils and as someone pointed out assholes.

Her last terrific movie was What's Up Doc in '72. That's a long time ago.

Too bad she wasn't under the thumb of a Mayer, Warner, Cohn or Zanuck. She would have so much more to show for her talent than a lifestyle Marie Antoinette would consider over the top..

by Anonymousreply 51December 16, 2015 1:45 AM

It looks as if "What's Up, Doc?" will be her most enduringly popular movie.

by Anonymousreply 52December 16, 2015 1:53 AM

And as good as she is in it - she's at her funniest and is actually beguilingly sexy - Madeline Kahn steals it out from under her.

by Anonymousreply 53December 16, 2015 2:33 AM

[quote]Because she is THAT woman.

Perhaps, but I'm still THAT GIRL!

by Anonymousreply 54December 16, 2015 2:35 AM

But, I'm THAT broad

by Anonymousreply 55December 16, 2015 2:37 AM

Every now and then she knows what she is attempting. The result of this recording session produced one of her most gorgeous vocal performances that didn't dismantle the song. Many less talented people have been film stars, but I stand by my assertion that she is a singer. Sometimes a great one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56December 16, 2015 2:39 AM

Why would anyone bother with Babs if they are aware of the existence of Neil Diamond?

by Anonymousreply 57December 16, 2015 2:48 AM

Though not well known for me the Streisand apotheosis comes in On a Clear Day.

He Isn't You is one of the most beautiful renditions of a song I've ever heard.

Maybe most people don't like the song very much but I think it's great.

Minnelli, Beaton, and Stradling help a lot too.

by Anonymousreply 58December 16, 2015 3:22 AM

Sorry, but I'll take Paul Williams' word for it. When he was a guest on Carson, he was asked what it was like to work with Babs on A Star Is Born. Paul said working with Barbra Streisand was like trying to have a picnic at the end of a runway.

by Anonymousreply 59December 16, 2015 4:44 AM

Thank you, r49/56. That was the most clear-eyed and astute assesment of Streisand I have read in ages. And I consider myself a fan. For me, the apotheosis of Streisand's vocals has been this. (Ignore the cheesy visuals). Every single phrase is perfectly expressed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60December 16, 2015 8:37 AM

"she bulldozed even the greatest songwriters, producers, directors"

All of those People can kiss my Fannie!

by Anonymousreply 61December 16, 2015 9:38 AM

YENTL is a masterpiece. The sheer impossibility of every single element coming together is preposterously low and yet it does. It's an exercise in calculated insanity. A nearly 40 year old woman playing an eighteen year old girl pretending to be a boy who wants to study the torah. A musical that may not be completely unique, but is certainly an outlier--all of the musical numbers exist in Yentl's mind, it's her way of communicating with the world as she's totally alone in her deception.

It takes place in a small Jewish village in Russia circa 1900--and it still sold tickets. Directed by a woman at a time where you could count all of the American working female directors on a few fingers. It's very, very funny. The music is good, occasionally memorable. The love story is compelling, tragic, and bittersweet.

Spielberg said it was the greatest directorial debut since Orson Wells' Citizen Kane. It's a fair assertion that still probably holds true today, at least in terms of American cinema. She supposedly got a lot of input from William Wyler (BEN-HUR, ROMAN HOLIDAY, FUNNY GIRL) but he died before filming started.

If you haven't seen the movie, its absolutely worth watching. But if you need a reminder of how spectacular it is, here's the final scene, which ends on an near impossible shot while she's holding an impossible note. Everything about this movie is impossible. I saw the movie for the first time about seven years ago. At the end, I had tears in my eyes and my jaw was hanging open. It's astonishing.

Can you imagine how many times she must have been told "no", "you're crazy for trying this", "what the hell are you thinking?" or "this movie will never work"? I think after that experience, she probably decided to go with her gut and respect her own process, no matter how unhappy and irritated it made others around her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62December 16, 2015 10:39 AM

Striesand was magnificent during her early career....during her Funny Girl days.

It wasn't just the fabulous voice, it was also the charming self effacing humor, her Brooklyn Jew accent, her ugly duckling, bohemian yet glamorous look. She was unique.

The she became a "Superstar". She really hasn't been interesting since 1972.

THIS was Barbra at her peak.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63December 16, 2015 12:08 PM

Yentl was a boring, self-centered ego piece.

by Anonymousreply 64December 16, 2015 12:13 PM

Quite aside from her persona, however, I find Miss Streisand’s looks repellent. Perhaps this is my limitation, but I cannot accept a romantic heroine who is both knock-kneed and ankleless (maybe one of those things, but not both!), short-waisted and shapeless, scrag-toothed and with a horse face centering on a nose that looks like Brancusi’s Rooster cast in liverwurst. I believe in beauty or in a performer’s ability to make herself or himself attractive in one way or another even when lacking outstanding physical endowments. Think, for example, of those English leading ladies like Celia Johnson, Dorothy Tutin, Joan Plowright, Maggie Smith, Rita Tushingham, and a host of others–plain women who, through make-up, acting ability, or, most likely, a spiritual intensity that suffuses their faces, make themselves lovely. Streisand remains arrogantly, exultantly ugly.

And she is no actress. Her speaking voice consists either of a husky stage whisper (originated by Marilyn Monroe, another nonactress parlayed into an alleged comic talent by special pleading) or a terrible fishwife’s screech. In big, emotional scenes, her accent goes Lower-East-Side and completely undermines the cultivatedness she is supposed to portray or the gentility she presumes to affect. In anger, her face assumes shapes and expressions that turn a movie into a horror film. Unlike a real comedienne–Jane Fonda, for instance–she lacks the variety, modulations, little inventive eccentricities, ability to underplay that add up to genuine humor. She does not embody a part, she defies it. But she is undoubtedly a great inspiration to the legions of unsightly women whose banner she has carried to the heights of stardom and critical adulation that extends from Pauline Kael all the way to Rex Reed.

by Anonymousreply 65December 16, 2015 12:18 PM

[R65] Shame on you for criticizing Streisand's looks. She did the best with what she was given. I bet, if you looked like her , you wouldn't have accomplished even a fraction of the body of work she has. Bad karma will be yours from now on.

by Anonymousreply 66December 16, 2015 12:56 PM

John Simon also famously compared Liza Minelli's face with that of a beagle.

by Anonymousreply 67December 16, 2015 1:02 PM

I thought that Babs has accepted the fact that she was not a conventionally attractive woman and had moved on, focusing on her unique talents. Then she made The Mirror Has Two Faces and I realized she wants to force people to say she is beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 68December 16, 2015 1:26 PM

I meant to say "had accepted".

by Anonymousreply 69December 16, 2015 1:27 PM

R49 Well said! R62 Yentl has its moments, but it is too self-centered to Barbra herself. R68 The entire idea of the film is illogical, look inside for personality and then have a face lift!

by Anonymousreply 70December 16, 2015 1:42 PM

She has NEVER gotten over her mother's disapproval.

by Anonymousreply 71December 16, 2015 1:43 PM

R65 you might want to read John Simon on I believe it is Hello Dolly. It Is about her looks and it is hysterical.

I happen not to agree because from Funny Girl to What's up Doc I think she often looks sensational. And if you can be filmed in closeups in Todd AO for almost 3 hours you've got a lot going for you.

I'm a gay man so what do I know about a woman's sexual appeal but considering she's had affairs with a lot of attractive men from Sydney Chaplin and Shariff to Brolin the woman clearly has something going on for her.

It is amusing that the only one who keeps defending Streisand's reputation is Streisand. It seems that everyone who has worked with her is either disparaging or tight lipped.

by Anonymousreply 72December 16, 2015 1:46 PM

Barbra also recently clarified that it's untrue that she has a big nose.

by Anonymousreply 73December 16, 2015 2:05 PM

Why must she be so difficult about being difficult?

by Anonymousreply 74December 16, 2015 2:11 PM

[quote]John Simon also famously compared Liza Minelli's face with that of a beagle.

What a nice compliment!

by Anonymousreply 75December 16, 2015 5:13 PM

R42 is stroking his doll's hair as he types fat.

Difficult? Would BITCH be betta?

by Anonymousreply 76December 16, 2015 5:24 PM

Yes, she's difficult. No, men who are difficult don't get a free pass, there are just more of them in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 77December 16, 2015 5:42 PM

R57 = Neil Diamond

by Anonymousreply 78December 16, 2015 5:54 PM

I actually know someone who worked with her, someone who did work on the score for one of her films. He described her as "perfectionist", but polite enough.

She wanted the end product the way she wanted it, but she treated the people she was working with as collaborators rather than subhuman minions who only existed to serve. She wasn't bitchy, irrational, or rude, she didn't make extreme demands, she didn't lose her temper or play the diva. My source says he's worked with far, far worse, and if his experience is typical then she could be right about herself.

by Anonymousreply 79December 16, 2015 6:34 PM

[quote] YENTL is a masterpiece. The sheer impossibility of every single element coming together is preposterously low and yet it does.

Mary!

by Anonymousreply 80December 16, 2015 6:46 PM

As I like her early stuff R79 that's nice to hear but there don't seem to be many who go on the record with that kind of opinion.

In fact it seems no one publically does except for her.

by Anonymousreply 81December 16, 2015 7:29 PM

R79 Sorry Baba Wawa. Your source is questionable. NO ONE will go record to confirm that. Until that changes, OP's statement stands as is.

How can you be pleasant when EVERYONE including your son have to stand to the right of you?

by Anonymousreply 82December 17, 2015 4:34 AM

I've always loved Barbra, and that must be the reason I think she was absolutely gorgeous when she was younger, even with her big nose. Her profile is stunning, and she has the best voice of the century, in my opinion.

Oprah finally got Barbra to do her show years ago, and it was interesting to see two powerhouses go head to head, The interview went well, then Barbra got up to sing. She stood on a bare stage, of course with perfect lighting, and with a white mic on a white stand. After she sang, she went back to sit down with Oprah, who said "Oh, l LOVE the white microphone! I've never seen an all-white one! Where did you get that"? Barbra replies, "Oh, is yours. I just had them paint it white backstage." You should have seen Oprah's face. She was livid that Barbra painted a mic and stand without asking, obviously overriding Oprah's authority on her own set.

by Anonymousreply 83December 17, 2015 7:34 AM

Orpah should have cut the bitch and turned all that white into Crimson

by Anonymousreply 84December 17, 2015 7:45 AM

Kathy Griffin on Streisand's all ivory appearance on Oprah.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85December 17, 2015 8:01 AM

Streisand's last hit:

#8 I Finally Found Someone (1996)

Of course that's a duet that was driven by Adams and had he not been on it, it wouldn't have been a hit.

#11 Comin' In And Out Of Your Life (1982)

But it's not even in the top ten

So you have to go back to the "Guilty" album which gave her three top ten singles, but again, if not for Barry Gibb, she wouldn't have had those hits.

So without duets, you have to go back to "The Main Event" to find her last "REAL" hit, which went to #3

by Anonymousreply 86December 17, 2015 3:18 PM

Her voice was in top form in the '80s, and all her pop post-STAR IS BORN albums were big hits, yet EMOTION, GUILTY, WET, STREISAND SUPERMAN, SONGBIRD and TILL I LOVED YOU have aged badly. She wasted her voice on third-rate material and today nobody cares about them. It's telling that the the majority of the songs in her later concerts are of her classic '60s material.

by Anonymousreply 87December 17, 2015 5:22 PM

But the most important questia is:

When will Babs tour again?

by Anonymousreply 88December 17, 2015 7:01 PM

Actually without help from other mega stars Barbra wouldn't have any #1 hits.

The Way We Were - Robert Redford

Evergreen - Paul Williams

You Don't Bring Me Flowers - Neil Diamond

No More Tears - Donna Summer

Woman in Love - Bee Gees (who had to convince her to do it, as she thought it was too feminist and pro-women's lib

by Anonymousreply 89December 17, 2015 7:39 PM

Whitney had the huge number one hits and album sales.

by Anonymousreply 90December 17, 2015 8:59 PM

R86 Barbra Streisand has been recording since 1963. That's 52 years.

Please list any other female recording artists with a career that long.

No, she's not had a hit in quite a while, but that's not what her music has been about for the last couple of decades. Other than Cher, what other woman has ever had a hit record after the age of 60? I don't even think Tina Turner can claim that.

Streisand has had her hit making career. The mass market is a different world today, the things she chooses to record now aren't hit material.

by Anonymousreply 91December 17, 2015 9:32 PM

The bitch has been giving the same interview for 50 years. Give it a rest, Barbra.

by Anonymousreply 92December 17, 2015 9:35 PM

Which is why the Mike Wallace interview is so great.

It isn't just another genuflection to the monarch from the likes of Wawa and Oprah.

Their drooling over Babs' greatness is stomach churning.

Mike gets her to show that there is some sort of human inside there.

And her resentment towards him getting her to show some genuine vulnerability not the show business lip quivering kind is also very telling.

by Anonymousreply 93December 18, 2015 12:16 AM

[quote] I agree with you about JR and her so-called friendships. She was known to exaggerate a lot. Prince Charles was her friend? I don't think so after he and the rest of the royal family were the targets of her insults.

She attended his second wedding, one of only four Americans to be invited, and the prince released an official statement after her death. You couldn't be more wrong about this one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94December 18, 2015 12:29 AM

BUT WHEN WILL BABS TOUR AGAIN?!

by Anonymousreply 95December 18, 2015 8:26 AM

She won't tour again, her voice isn't up to it.

by Anonymousreply 96December 18, 2015 8:56 AM

Yes it is up to it - where else can we turn amidst the current sea of no-talent garbage?

by Anonymousreply 97December 18, 2015 10:31 AM

Even if her voice isn't in her prime, I would love to see Barbra in concert.

by Anonymousreply 98December 18, 2015 11:57 PM

You guys really think a notorious perfectionist is going to tour with she isn't in good voice, and doesn't need the money?

by Anonymousreply 99December 19, 2015 12:00 AM

Oh, for Christ's sake. Women and blacks can NEVER stop with the "if I weren't X they never would say such a thing!" It's so easy and greasy and, in Babs' case, completely disingenuous.

This is the woman who drove William Wyler crazy during the filming of her first movie. Yes, "Funny Girl." All the crap here about how he was helping her but died before blah blah blah is silly. This is a man who had directed 49 features before taking on Barbra's debut and had three best-director Oscars and another Best Documentary Oscar, with 13 films nominated for best picture. He directed more performers to Oscar-nominated performances than any other director, up to the present.

Barbra not only got in his way, she kept telling other actors in "Funny Girl" what to do. They complained to Wyler, who said:

[quote]You'll have to forgive Barbra. This is the first picture she's ever directed.

by Anonymousreply 100December 19, 2015 12:11 AM

[R 99] I said I would love to see Barbra in concert even if her voice is not in it's prime. No body said she was going to go on tour again. Reading comprehension is a wonderful skill. Try it sometime.

by Anonymousreply 101December 19, 2015 12:47 AM

R101, when you're attempting to construct a clever little put-down post, please be sure to try to master the fundamentals of commonplace compound nouns and other English basics.

It's "nobody," not "no body,."

and it's "some time," not "sometime,"

and it's "its" in your post, not "it's."

Perhaps you do not have a fourth grader in your life to help you with your own English comprehension.

What is your special problem in life? Weight? Couldn't find a husband? Low-class upbringing? We know it's SOMETHING crucial to development.

by Anonymousreply 102December 19, 2015 1:55 AM

I do think that Babs is the greatest talent to produce the greatest amount of dreck.

The scope of her gifts and the mountains of garbage she has produced are astonishing.

This recently reached its height with her attempt to star in a remake of Gypsy.

She could have done this 20 years ago but I assume the idea of playing the mother of a grown child when she was 53 was too much a blow to her ego.

At this point it would make as much sense her playing Louise as playing Rose.

by Anonymousreply 103December 19, 2015 2:12 AM

[R102] Well, aren't we the little pissy one who needs to stamp he feet when she gets mad. Typing is for secretaries.

by Anonymousreply 104December 19, 2015 2:28 AM

it's crucial [bold]'for'[/bold] development

R102, don't throw stones if one could potentially hit you!

by Anonymousreply 105December 19, 2015 2:58 AM

There's always one of these in every thread.

by Anonymousreply 106December 19, 2015 3:19 AM

Barbra is the biggest-selling female recording artist of all time in the US. In fact, she's the only female in the top 10 biggest-selling recording artists of all time. She's also the only recording artist, male or female, to have #1 albums in 6 consecutive decades, a feat which will never be equaled. She also has the most platinum albums of any female artist. Only The Beatles and Elvis Presley have more.

She just had a platinum #1 album last year at the age of 74. Her last albums have outsold Mariah, Madonna and Janet Jackson.

by Anonymousreply 107December 19, 2015 3:37 AM

Her last platinum #1 album was shlock.

by Anonymousreply 108December 19, 2015 3:44 AM

Just schlocky enough to be a platinum album No 1 album. Somebody's buying them and enjoying them.

by Anonymousreply 109December 19, 2015 3:47 AM

Stop pretending people aren't buying that shit out of habit, collecting, and lack of taste...

She's picking your pocket

by Anonymousreply 110December 19, 2015 3:55 AM

LOL! You're fired up over Barbra! :)

by Anonymousreply 111December 19, 2015 3:58 AM

More like: I'd enjoy roasting Barbra over a fire

by Anonymousreply 112December 19, 2015 4:00 AM

A difficult reputation isn't confined to any particular gender identity.

by Anonymousreply 113December 19, 2015 4:05 AM

Touche, [R112]

by Anonymousreply 114December 19, 2015 4:09 AM

I don't know anybody who thinks Streisand is a great singer.

I actually have no idea why she is famous, she isn't really exceptionally talented at anything. Mediocricy all around.

by Anonymousreply 115December 19, 2015 4:28 AM

R115 = Lainie Kazan

by Anonymousreply 116December 19, 2015 9:42 AM

I think Donald Trump is an excellent example of how men DO get away with a lot more. I can't imagine a woman who demonstrated even a fraction of his behavior garnering the kind of support he does.

by Anonymousreply 117December 19, 2015 1:54 PM

For all of the Streisand apologists here -- the stories of her being difficult have been around since DAY ONE. There's no exaggeration in how she's been described.

As for the Joan Rivers story, the reality is that Joan trashed Streisand for 30 years. That includes on her WOR radio show in the 1990s. Joan trashed her ego and narcissism to guests on the show who had worked with her, criticized her weight and her wedding dress, etc. Then suddenly, it was over. I'll guess because Streisand acknowledged Rivers by name.

by Anonymousreply 118December 19, 2015 2:13 PM

Streisand in Funny Girl - even just the recordings and film - show exactly what a force of nature she was. She lost that volcanic power, but you have to be blind and deaf not to acknowledge how unique and astonishing she was in the 1960s.

by Anonymousreply 119December 19, 2015 2:33 PM

[quote] Listen, Barbra doesn't need to happen, she is like Greek philosophy,

Yes: thousands of years old!

by Anonymousreply 120December 19, 2015 3:39 PM

r91 The fabulous and beloved (not a cunt) Sabah had a longer and more successful career than Streisand.

Sabah (Arabic: صباح‎; born Jeanette Gergis Al-Feghali, 10 November 1927, Bdadoun, Lebanon – 26 November 2014) was a Lebanese singer and actress. Considered a "Diva of Music" in the Arab World, (the same title often given to Oum Kalthoum, Warda Al-Jazairia and Fairuz), she released over 50 albums and acted in 98 movies as well as over 20 stage Lebanese plays. She had a reported more than 3,500 songs in her repertoire. She was among the first Arabic singers to perform at the Olympia in Paris, Carnegie Hall in New York, the Piccadilly Theatre in London and at the Sydney Opera House.[1] She was considered one of the four Lebanese icons along with Fairuz, Wadih El Safi and Samira Tawfiq and was nicknamed "Empress of the Lebanese Song" (Arabic: إمبراطورة الأغنية اللبنانية‎). She is considered one of the greatest Arab singers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121December 19, 2015 4:44 PM

Ella Fitzgerald had a performing and recording career for over 52 years.

by Anonymousreply 122December 19, 2015 5:01 PM

I'm assuming that those who say Barbra doesn't have any talent have not expanded their listening choices to more than just the hits of the day. As your musical knowledge expands, and you learn about different genres, you begin to find new appreciation for older artists. Once you go to muscial theater, listen to various form of jazz and blues, and begin to appreciate classical music, then re-visit Barbra's music and maybe you'll understand how great of a singer she was.

Now, I'm waiting for the people who SAY they go to the ballet, the symphony, a series of jazz concerts showing the various forms of jazz, but never have actually been to any of them or maybe tried it once, and then say "it wasn't for me."

by Anonymousreply 123December 19, 2015 5:28 PM

Babra should have won the Oscar for "The Prince of Tides." The movie was outstanding and so was the performance Barbra illicited from Nick Nolte, who was also robbed. Barbra truly is the greatest star--of her generation or any generation.

We could debate who was better: Judy, Sinatra or Streisand, but Judy and Frank were sort of another generation. Barbra came later and rose to their heights, but times had changed, the movie studios were gone, and quite frankly, Barbra didn't work as much as Frank and Judy. But again, no one worked harder than Judy.

by Anonymousreply 124December 19, 2015 5:36 PM

Well, Barbra has sold more records than Sinatra and Garland combined.

by Anonymousreply 125December 19, 2015 5:49 PM

[quote]I'm assuming that those who say Barbra doesn't have any talent have not expanded their listening choices to more than just the hits of the day.

Are you crazy, Barbra was a showtunes singer. She cannot sing R&B, Jazz or any musical style that requires dexterity and range.

by Anonymousreply 126December 19, 2015 8:19 PM

Sales have nothing to do with it, R125. Barry Manilow sole gazillions but his music is crap.

by Anonymousreply 127December 19, 2015 8:31 PM

[R26] What i am saying is that the more a person is introduced to ALL kinds of music, their musical knowledge and appreciation increases., and they can more easily find and appreciate top artists in every genre. If you stick to just one genre, you're limting your knowdlege.

f you listen to Barbra, you'll find all kinds of genres in her music from swing, jazz, classical, show tunes, pop, rock, etc. She's hit them all at one time or another.

by Anonymousreply 128December 19, 2015 8:42 PM

I rather listen to Aretha, Ella, Whitney or Tony Bennett than Barbra because those girls and guys did those genres justice. Barbra is as mediocre as they come, she is elevator music for people who don't know what real singers can do with a song.

by Anonymousreply 129December 19, 2015 8:49 PM

Barbra could never really belt a tune. Certainly not like Judy could.

Judy could blow off your wig and lashes in the second balcony.

by Anonymousreply 130December 19, 2015 8:52 PM

[quote]Barbra truly is the greatest star--of her generation or any generation.

I recognize the gravity of the situation so am bypassing "Mary!" and ordering smelling salts STAT.

by Anonymousreply 131December 19, 2015 8:57 PM

[quote]As for the Joan Rivers story, the reality is that Joan trashed Streisand for 30 years. That includes on her WOR radio show in the 1990s. Joan trashed her ego and narcissism to guests on the show who had worked with her, criticized her weight and her wedding dress, etc. Then suddenly, it was over. I'll guess because Streisand acknowledged Rivers by name.

Joan sank her wizened claws into Gillian Anderson in much the same way. Old gal never forgot or forgave a slight.

by Anonymousreply 132December 19, 2015 9:00 PM

[quote]Are you crazy, Barbra was a showtunes singer. She cannot sing R&B, Jazz or any musical style that requires dexterity and range.

And when she tried....OY. Barbra you're embarrassing me. Nice close-ups though, as always. Streisand is pretty far from the culture of anything but narcissism.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133December 19, 2015 9:29 PM

It's almost painful to see Streisand trying to do gospel. Puke.

by Anonymousreply 134December 20, 2015 4:00 AM

Well, I've got to admit that I've never heard her sing gospel.

by Anonymousreply 135December 20, 2015 5:32 AM

At least she was good to her only Gay son.

by Anonymousreply 136February 26, 2016 11:30 AM

Which one is the dream mother for a queen - Barbara or Judy?

by Anonymousreply 137February 26, 2016 11:46 AM

Barbra, sorry

by Anonymousreply 138February 26, 2016 11:47 AM

Barbra with Jamie recording for her next album.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139February 26, 2016 11:50 AM

Bowie slammed Barbara's(her real name) version of Life On Mars. It is bad and I hope BS doesn't get any brilliant ideas about paying homage to Bowie on this album. I can see a mellow version of Boys Keep Swinging with Ms Jamie Foxx on vocals and skin flute. Jamie can dress up in drag just like Bowie did in the original video. It would be so apropos.

by Anonymousreply 140February 26, 2016 12:06 PM

She's very talented. Why didn't she have a bigger career? Can't she get work any more? Maybe do something not too challenging on Broadway like Bette Midler. Has she ever done American Idol or DWTS?

by Anonymousreply 141February 26, 2016 12:33 PM

Baba

by Anonymousreply 142February 26, 2016 12:36 PM

R10, wow. What century are you posting from where a woman's worth comes from her ability to retain a man?

by Anonymousreply 143February 26, 2016 12:38 PM

R65 I agree with you but she has hoodwinked some hot men into getting involved with her. She might have a face for radio but there is something that attracted them.She was so charming in What's Up Doc so despite her butter face I could see why he went for her. She must be an acrobat in bed. Good for her she maximized her worth when she was not a conventional beauty at all.

by Anonymousreply 144February 26, 2016 12:58 PM

I don't think she hoodwinked any of those men.

You always knew what you were getting with Streisand.

And I'm sure when she pulled out all the stops with her charm she could have you in the palm of her hand.

So what if she is actually a very cold calculating ambitious individual and would cut you off without notice.

She's in show business for Christ's sake. And I've known lots of people like that who weren't even in show biz.

And if she loves anyone she truly loves her child and I think that's the best you can say about anybody.

by Anonymousreply 145February 27, 2016 2:11 AM

JJ Adams tells it, Barbra in the studio with Daisy Ridley!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146March 1, 2016 9:13 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147March 1, 2016 9:15 PM

Streisand looks major sexy in that shot with Daisy. Very nice.

Us Streisand fanboys will never give it up so don't even try. She is just the Greatest Star, of our lifetime anyway.

Remember when she set up an answering machine "hotline" for fans to call and make suggestions for songs for "Broadway Album 2" (its name at the time)? My friend and I left more than one but I don't think any made the cut. We'll see with "Broadway 3."

by Anonymousreply 148March 1, 2016 10:05 PM

Ridley's got a lovely voice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149March 1, 2016 10:08 PM

Another one,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150March 1, 2016 10:09 PM

What's up with Barbra? She's weird. That's a good move for her career but like why? Anyway, it's a blessing for Daisy. Although the average straight teen boy elected her his favorite person to masturbate to, She's yet to be discovered by the gays, this will give her a push.

by Anonymousreply 151March 1, 2016 10:12 PM

This thread stinks. You're all fired.

by Anonymousreply 152March 1, 2016 10:35 PM

I hope Babs does all the big numbers from Gypsy on this album. That'd be nice since, let's face it, that movie is never getting made. If she really wants to play the role so bad, why not do a one night, special concert version? They could broadcast it on one of the big networks or PBS or even HBO and I'm sure people would tune in.

The issue with Barbra is that she's lazy and has enough money to not care anymore. She's not driven like she was when she started out. She takes what's easy and convenient, not always what's best. I'm sure if someone just offered to shoot every scene in her house, she'd sign on to Friday the 13th Part 27.

The Guilt Trip, while slight and not terribly memorable, was a decent part for Barbra and it should have done better than it did. Truth be told, I thought it was one of her better performances. Come to think of it, I'm not sure if she has the grit to play Rose in Gypsy. She's always been so concerned with being liked. There were even rumors of her agreeing to do a movie version of the Sunset Boulevard musical, but she wanted to make Norma Desmond more likable. Rose is about 3000 times more of a monster than Norma if you ask me.

by Anonymousreply 153March 1, 2016 10:52 PM

Glenn is gonna play Norman in London

by Anonymousreply 154March 1, 2016 11:01 PM

Uh, she's not lazy R153, she's OLD. She's been performing for literally more than half a century, mmkay?

by Anonymousreply 155March 1, 2016 11:30 PM

But she's always been that way. She takes forever to get projects going. Hell, even Gypsy was rumored back in the 80's with Madonna as Louise. Barbra wanted to do The Normal Heart so bad, but wouldn't stoop to TV to get it made. Her film roles have always been poorly chosen never thinking of how they might show her range as an actress.

by Anonymousreply 156March 2, 2016 1:21 AM

What songs do we think are on the new album? I can't imagine what she's singing with Jamie Foxx.

by Anonymousreply 157March 2, 2016 2:28 AM

r156, it was Larry Kramer who refused to allow The Normal Heart to be a tv movie. Barbra offered him a deal with HBO, just like he eventually agreed to, years later. Julia Roberts also turned Barbra down for the part of the doctor, just like she eventually agreed to, years later.

by Anonymousreply 158March 2, 2016 2:30 AM

Streisand is an ugly grifting Jewess who was only ever an average singer. She was discovered, promoted, and forced on the general public by fellow Jews, when far more attractive and talented people were denied the chances her fellow co-religionists provided for her. Sadly, she is now relegated to being worshipped by eldergays, who want anyone who doesn't feel the same way to hand in their gay cards.

by Anonymousreply 159February 7, 2018 7:40 AM

True story: Old Jew buys young Jew a ladder, puts young Jew on said ladder and pushes young Jew up the steps to fame and fortune. Old Jew then brags about how young Jew owes carreer to his influence, young Jew writes a book on success.

by Anonymousreply 160February 7, 2018 5:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!