Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why Saoirse Ronan is going to win Best Actress

Because no other actress could have equaled her in Brooklyn. It's a perfect combination of actress and role and movie.

Naomi, Nicole, Julianne or Kate W would have been just as elegant and moving as Cate B in Carol.

Jennifer Lawrence, Brie Larson, and Rooney Mara could have all swapped roles and been equally as good in any of the three.

Sairose is your winner.

by Anonymousreply 55April 6, 2021 10:36 PM

LOL. You care about this shit? The world is going to hell, and you care about the 2015 Best Actress?

YAWN

by Anonymousreply 1December 5, 2015 1:46 PM

A movie about Brooklyn, filmed in Canada with no American actors.

by Anonymousreply 2December 5, 2015 3:40 PM

Good grief [R1] the world is not going to hell. Get a grip. And yes, Saoirse totally deserves the Oscar. Her performance in Brooklyn is breathtaking.

by Anonymousreply 3December 5, 2015 3:43 PM

I haven't seen the movie yet, but the woman has talent. She rocked in Hanna (the director made it a little too weird) and Byzantium (great mood, but not for everyone).

by Anonymousreply 4December 5, 2015 3:53 PM

Going to see it today along with Spotlight. You can't really apply the perfect fit for an actress to who's gonna win Op. Different things go into the inevitable winner. When the globe noms come out next week the field will be narrowed. Love Saoirse and she would be a nice winner but I have a feeling Rooney Mara will win.

by Anonymousreply 5December 5, 2015 4:31 PM

Tilda would have been great in Carol too.

by Anonymousreply 6December 5, 2015 5:15 PM

It looks like a TV miniseries. Not willing o go to a theater to see it.

by Anonymousreply 7December 5, 2015 5:54 PM

Brooklyn is going to be a very successful indie. People really seem to love it.

by Anonymousreply 8December 5, 2015 9:19 PM

They must have made her character more lively in the script, because in the novel she was dull as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 9December 5, 2015 9:22 PM

Saw Brooklyn today and I have to agree with you, OP. She was perfect. And I wouldn't mind if the film won Best Picture. It's really lovely.

And wasn't Emory Cohen adorable? I wanted to eat him up.

by Anonymousreply 10December 5, 2015 10:53 PM

Rooney may still get a supporting actress nom if Harvey has his way yet. She will win in that category; she won't win if placed in lead. Neither will Alicia Vikander (far better chances in supporting).

I think it will come down to the two young talents, Ronan and Brie Larson duking it out. Lawrence may very well get a nom but don't think Ampas will award her twice, with two lead statues before age 30.

My question is: who among the elders will get a lead nom? Mirren, Fonda or Rampling?

by Anonymousreply 11December 5, 2015 11:29 PM

The world is going to hell, but I want to see this movie.

by Anonymousreply 12December 5, 2015 11:34 PM

Reviews for Youth aren't great which won't help Jane. No one, and I mean no one, will see that movie. And box office for Room isn't good either. As Brooklyn builds (word of mouth is fantastic) Sariose will become a stronger and stronger front runner. I think it could get a Best Pictire nod too.

by Anonymousreply 13December 6, 2015 12:08 AM

She's lucky because if she's nominated this year, at least Eddie Redmayne will be able to pronounce her name. Can you imagine if McConaughey had to try it? Or worse-- Travolta?

by Anonymousreply 14December 6, 2015 7:07 AM

R14: he will, but don't assume that Brits are generally better at pronouncing Irish names than Americans--they can be just as hopeless.

by Anonymousreply 15December 6, 2015 7:18 AM

Rooney Mara had no discernable talent. Is it because she had a lady on lady nude scene, because that was really the only remarkable thing about her performance. The film is all style, little substance.

by Anonymousreply 16December 6, 2015 7:28 AM

In my opinion Brie deserves the win.

by Anonymousreply 17December 6, 2015 8:24 AM

Her name annoys me. No one knows how the hell to pronounce it. She should change it.

by Anonymousreply 18December 6, 2015 9:01 AM

It's pronounced "Seer-sa".

by Anonymousreply 19December 6, 2015 12:17 PM

I think it's actually Seer-sha.

by Anonymousreply 20December 6, 2015 12:23 PM

Don't count out Kristen Stewart for Best Supporting actress for "Clouds Of Sils Maria".

by Anonymousreply 21December 6, 2015 12:39 PM

Sorry, R20 - you are right.

by Anonymousreply 22December 6, 2015 12:46 PM

[quote]A movie about Brooklyn, filmed in Canada with no American actors.

Emory Cohen is American, R2, and cute as hell. He's shaved a few years off his age -- if he's 25 then I'm the Queen of England -- but he's still adorable.

The movie was a pandering mess, though. I'm really getting tired of nostalgic "remember when people wanted to be American and America was this amazing and awe-inspiring place?" films.

by Anonymousreply 23December 6, 2015 12:46 PM

Well I am hoping Dame Maggie Smith gets nominated for THE LADY IN THE VAN, which may be her last leading role, at 80. She runs with it and is marvellous, it could be another win 45 years after her first for MISS BRODIE.

by Anonymousreply 24December 6, 2015 1:28 PM

R23 He played DL fave Deb Messing's teenaged son on "Smash" a few years ago, so he can't be THAT old.

by Anonymousreply 25December 6, 2015 4:36 PM

Maggie Smith would be cool but I don't know if the distributor is even opening it in time.

by Anonymousreply 26December 6, 2015 5:06 PM

Lady in the Van opened in NYC this past Friday. It has a 92 on rotten tomatoes. .

by Anonymousreply 27December 6, 2015 6:56 PM

I enjoyed the movie and she was great. We were the youngest people there by far and the older people were lapping it up.

by Anonymousreply 28December 6, 2015 7:10 PM

Charlotte Rampling is AMAZING in "45 Years." I found it hard to believe that someone responsible for the vapidity that was "Looking" managed to get such a performance out of her and direct such a great movie.

by Anonymousreply 29December 6, 2015 7:15 PM

Charlotte just won the LA Film Critics award for BA. Saiorse was runner up.

by Anonymousreply 30December 6, 2015 9:58 PM

If Mark Rylance wins Best Supporting Oscar he'll be the first to have done a hardcore sex scene.

by Anonymousreply 31December 6, 2015 10:13 PM

You'll know he's the winner if Kim Kardashian presents the award.

by Anonymousreply 32December 6, 2015 10:13 PM

from the trailer Brooklyn looks like a very twee, unbearable, precious movie

by Anonymousreply 33December 7, 2015 1:01 AM

It's not, R33. It's really quite wonderful. Watch before you judge.

by Anonymousreply 34December 7, 2015 1:04 AM

[quote]She rocked in Hanna (the director made it a little too weird)

ITA, That movie started off with a bang. Edge of your seat exciting, action packed thriller....that devolves into a sappy after school special.

by Anonymousreply 35December 7, 2015 10:31 AM

Saoirse Ronan is pretty incredible in a lot of the films she's been in. I thought she was the stand-out in "Atonement" (seriously, she put so much venom and jealousy into her portrayal...), not to mention "Hanna". I'd be happy with either her or Mara winning.

by Anonymousreply 36December 7, 2015 10:57 AM

I think Bryce Dallas Howard might get nominated as Best Supporting Actress for JURASSIC WORLD. Incredible performance. Just incredible.

by Anonymousreply 37December 7, 2015 11:12 AM

[quote]I think Bryce Dallas Howard might get nominated as Best Supporting Actress for JURASSIC WORLD. Incredible performance. Just incredible.

On what planet do you live where that is a supporting performance? That is a lead best actress role if there ever was. Now the Jimmy Choos' have the supporting role.

by Anonymousreply 38December 7, 2015 12:46 PM

Teefs is in "Brooklyn"? Noooo! Tell me she doesn't have much screen time, please.

by Anonymousreply 39December 9, 2015 6:37 PM

Screen Actors Guild nominations.....

Best Actress

Cate Blanchett, "Carol"

Brie Larson, "Room"

Helen Mirren, "Woman in Gold"

Saoirse Ronan, "Brooklyn"

Sarah Silverman, "I Smile Back"

These are the same people that nominate fo rteh Oscars.... No Lily Tomlin or Jennifer Lawrence

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40December 9, 2015 7:00 PM

[quote] These are the same people that nominate fo rteh Oscars

No, dear, they aren't. There's a SAG nominating committee, few of whom are likely to be in the Academy. I've had friends and colleagues who have been chosen to be on the nominating committee who barely work, let alone be eligible to be in the Academy.

by Anonymousreply 41December 9, 2015 7:06 PM

Sarah Silverman? Did all 5 people who saw that movie vote for her. What a waste of a nomination.

by Anonymousreply 42December 9, 2015 7:50 PM

Poor Charlotte Rampling. God knows, Dame Helen doesn't need another nomination.

by Anonymousreply 43December 9, 2015 7:51 PM

Mirren must be fucking half of SAG to get a nomination for that hammy schtick.

by Anonymousreply 44December 9, 2015 7:53 PM

Mirren easily gave the worst performance of the year in Trumbo. She should have to give back her Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 45December 9, 2015 10:09 PM

Saw it last night; what a lovely, honest movie and she is so real and moving...

by Anonymousreply 46December 14, 2015 1:26 PM

She's going to win!

by Anonymousreply 47December 14, 2015 10:58 PM

[quote]I think it's actually Seer-sha.

She said on THE LATE LATE SHOW WITH JAMES CORDEN that it rhymes with 'inertia," so it's more like sir-sha.

by Anonymousreply 48December 21, 2015 2:28 AM

[quote] Because no other actress could have equaled her in Brooklyn. It's a perfect combination of actress and role and movie.

Mary!

by Anonymousreply 49December 21, 2015 2:44 AM

Saoirse was actually born in the Bronx. She sounds way too classy for that.

by Anonymousreply 50December 21, 2015 2:59 AM

she'll win. and a previous nominee...

by Anonymousreply 51December 21, 2015 3:05 AM

What happened to all the talk about Brie Larson? I thought they said she'd be the one to beat but I guess not anymore....

by Anonymousreply 52December 21, 2015 3:19 AM

Brie would get my vote.

by Anonymousreply 53December 21, 2015 3:36 AM

R52 Larson is currently all the 24 experts' pick at GoldDerby, with Blanchett at #2 and Ronan at #3. I've seen both BROOKLYN and ROOM, and I gotta agree with them. BROOKLYN is rather run-of-the-mill and light, and Ronan is charming but hers feels more like a rom-com performance. On the other hand, Larson is very raw and nitty-gritty. She and the boy were spectacular. You really believed them as mother and son and that they went through a horrendous imprisonment together.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54December 24, 2015 4:22 AM

Dcefv

by Anonymousreply 55April 6, 2021 10:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!