Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Losing 100 pounds

I'm 52 years old, been with my man for over 15 years and have let myself get terribly fat. I have a plan to lose 100 pounds. I have currently lost 26 or so. I am eating healthy natural foods and am doing the gym 6 days a week. I do cardio for 30 minutes and lift one body part per day. I have a moderate goal of 2 pounds per week, currently I am slightly ahead of schedule. My concern is will I have the loose skin that I have seen on some people that have lost weight? I'm hoping that the combo of drinking lots of water and lifting weights will alleviate the loose skin, but I'm not sure. What does the datalounge say?

by Anonymousreply 48August 3, 2020 9:40 PM

Define "healthy, natural" foods, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1December 4, 2015 4:29 PM

Define lifting one body part a day. Monday: Ringfinger crunches, Tuesday wrist burpees?

by Anonymousreply 2December 4, 2015 4:36 PM

OP, it depends. Some people recover skin tone better than others. You will know when you see it (or don't see it). Best to you with your weight loss.

by Anonymousreply 3December 4, 2015 4:39 PM

As someone who had the surgery at 34 years old and lost 100 lbs, I can tell you that no amount of water will help prevent saggy/loose skin. Of course, it and lifting weights/working out will help in other ways, it comes down to genetics mostly. Your skin has been stretched out in a certain way for a pretty long time, and it's unlikely it will snap back to it's original formation. That said, I have a friend who also had the surgery and lost close to 100 pounds, and she had far less saggy/loose skin than I did, although she wasn't as large for as long as I was. Good luck on your journey!

by Anonymousreply 4December 4, 2015 4:41 PM

You need to be targeting no higher than 1-2lbs loss a week to avoid sagging skin.

by Anonymousreply 5December 4, 2015 4:50 PM

Best of luck to you, OP. Your goal is attainable.

by Anonymousreply 6December 4, 2015 4:57 PM

You'll probably have loose skin given your age and the amount of weight lost. Lifting weights and drinking lots of water will help alleviate some of it, so keep doing that.

by Anonymousreply 7December 4, 2015 5:01 PM

What is your height and weight (before diet)?

by Anonymousreply 8December 4, 2015 5:10 PM

By healthy, natural foods I mean food that doesn't come out of a box or can. Lean meats, fruits, vegetables.

Lift schedule...mon-chest, tues-shoulders, wed-back, thurs-biceps/triceps, fri-deadlifts, sat-squats

I am 5'11 and started out weighing 309. I am naturally pretty muscular, so when I am in the lower 200's I look very fit.

by Anonymousreply 9December 4, 2015 5:19 PM

When I was on my weight loss journey I spoke to numerous bariatric surgeons, physical therapists, dietitians, certified trainers, etc., and EVERYONE told me the same thing: There is simply no way to prevent sagging skin. And there is no remedy for it other than having it cut off.

A year after I lost 148 pounds I began having the surgeries necessary to excise the hanging skin. I started with abdominoplasty (which hurt like fuck), then later had my batwing arms done, then finally had a full face and neck lift. I considered having my butt lifted but decided against it. Foam underwear from Butt For You works fine. I'm scarred but not horribly and as they all told me too, there's no way to avoid scarring. I really don't care. Having been at least 100 pounds overweight my entire adult life, at 51 I feel like life has just begun.

Stick with it OP and take it day by day. I'm pulling for you.

by Anonymousreply 10December 4, 2015 5:26 PM

I went through this and lost 78 lbs. over a year and am within 11 pounds of my ideal goal weight. My weight crept upwards over extended time, and had much to do with reduced mobility recovering/recuperating from a major accident. No only was weight an issue, but re-gaining considerable dexterity in the extremities and elsewhere.

OP, your approach sounds good. Exercise is important in toning your body. I am in my early 60s' with this, but the only excess skin that appears needing tightening is around the mid-section/waist. If you can afford it, find a good trainer for you at the gym. One thing you said is odd though: lifting one body part a day. Consider moderately exercising each body part during each session, rather than doing solely intense lifting on one part each session. If toning is not distributed, results may be compromised. As you clarified, diminish the intake of processed food, and keep low the intake of sugar and sodium, and measure the portions and calorie intakes. It's really tough at first, but as you get use to it, it eventually becomes accepted routine. If you sometimes cheat or fail, get back on the program right away and good results shall continue to show. Good luck with this.

by Anonymousreply 11December 4, 2015 5:31 PM

congrats on your weight loss and keep it up! Good luck on the rest of your journey and best wishes for your good health!

by Anonymousreply 12December 4, 2015 5:32 PM

Skip the cardio, focus on your DIET, and lift heavy weights. Maybe a kettle bell workout so you can go heavy as your form gets better. It's much faster to lose weight with high intensity strength training workouts than wasted time on a stairclimber or jogging. That's science. You CANNOT out-train your diet!

by Anonymousreply 13December 4, 2015 6:22 PM

Just be comfortable with the fact that you will look like a Shar Pei for many years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14December 4, 2015 8:34 PM

Best of luck to you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 15December 4, 2015 9:27 PM

At least you spell "losing" correctly, OP.

by Anonymousreply 16December 4, 2015 9:29 PM

My ex lost weight by exercising and taking some kind of drops three times a day HCM HLD ? He ate only grilled lean meats and vegies every day. 1000 calorie diet if I recall correctly. The weight flew off - like a pound or more a day and he felt great. The drops he was taking helped keep him from getting sagging skin said his doctor. He lost about 80 pounds very quickly - maybe 7 months - and has kept it off.

Frankly your method sounds healthier but his method was supervised by a doctor. We're in Europe so I don't know if you have such drops in the USA or Canada.

by Anonymousreply 17December 4, 2015 9:41 PM

When I see really extremely obese people after weight loss and their miles and miles of extra skin, I think they should have stayed fat. The miles of skin looks worse.

by Anonymousreply 18December 4, 2015 9:41 PM

[quote] My concern is will I have the loose skin that I have seen on some people that have lost weight?

100 lbs?

Hell yes.

by Anonymousreply 19December 4, 2015 9:57 PM

[quote] started with abdominoplasty (which hurt like fuck), then later had my batwing arms done, then finally had a full face and neck lift.

How much did all that cost?

by Anonymousreply 20December 4, 2015 9:59 PM

Yeah. You'll have saggy skin. My sister was about 150 lbs overweight. She did the same thing you did. I have great respect for her. For about the first six months her main form of excising was walking five miles to work and back. Day in and day out. No matter what the weather. I say it took a lot to do that not just because of the exercise involved but the world is cruel to a very fat women walking to work along the road. After she lost about fifty lbs. she switched to riding her bike. She added some pilates and bought a 30 minute DVD for a medicine ball workout to do after work.

It's to late for a long story short post but anyway ....one year we all chipped in and for her birthday and christmas present we paid to have her excess skin removed and mild face lift. She looks fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 21December 4, 2015 10:46 PM

Well if I do have saggy skin, I will definitely have the surgery to remove it. I'm just hoping to avoid it if there IS a way that's possible.

by Anonymousreply 22December 7, 2015 9:31 PM

Better to be alive and have loose skin than to be dead and have nice weight.

Just lose the weight and keep it up. Worry about the skin later.

by Anonymousreply 23December 7, 2015 9:34 PM

2 lbs a week is pretty drastic OP. Also How fat are you.

by Anonymousreply 24December 7, 2015 9:47 PM

Just so you know...as we found out with my sister, and nothing went wrong, but skin removal isn't like a nip/tuck type thing. It's considered a pretty serious procedure.

by Anonymousreply 25December 7, 2015 10:13 PM

Blessings to you on your journey!

by Anonymousreply 26December 7, 2015 11:15 PM

I lost 80 lbs in my early 50s. I had been petite all my life until my mid to late 40s when I started to put it on. So I was quite overweight for years.

I lost almost the first half going to weight watchers and didn't exercise at all. I lost .9 lbs a week. Took a break of about 10 months - I got bored but gained no weight back - and started up again using WW techniques without attending meetings. At this point I started an exercise regimen of 50 mins a day with free weights at home with a video ( no personal trainer or gym needed ). I also started walking everywhere - I live in a city. I also never took advantage of the WW extra points. So maybe my loss went up to 1 lb a week. About 9-10 months later I had lost the entire 80 lbs with no skin sag at all.

Two lbs a week may be too much. And, yes, water (fluids) are vital to your skin's elasticity. My sagging, flabby stomach was flat within less than 4 months of my starting my exercising (ab crunches and probably spillover from some of the other exercises in the regimen).

I didn't even have stretch marks. So not sure why someone overweight for years can slowly lose 80 lbs without the loose skin but someone losing an extra 20 lbs will for certain have it.

Good luck, OP.

With

by Anonymousreply 27December 7, 2015 11:32 PM

I'm 58, 6'2" and a few months ago weighed 315 pounds. I had lost about 20 when in mid October I was rushed to the hospital with a pulmonary embolism. I was told my heart has been affected. That did it. I walk about a mile a day and have cut back on my eating drastically - salads. Healthy cereals, etc. I am now down to 270 and plan to drop another 50. I'm sure it won't be easy. Diet and exercise. Believe me if I can do it so can you.

by Anonymousreply 28December 7, 2015 11:45 PM

It's partly genetics and partly age related loss of skin elasticity but there will be some sagging. There's no telling to what extent but seems like you're doing the right things with excercise and hydration. It may be something you can live with. If at all possible try to avoid surgery, I know someone who had it, much the same regimen as r10 and he was in agony. He said afterwards if he knew how hard the surgery was he may not have gone through with it.

Best of luck. No matter how much saggy skin you may or may not get your health will be improved and your lifespan extended.

by Anonymousreply 29December 7, 2015 11:45 PM

Skin is your largest organ. When they start chopping at it there's a lot that can go wrong and a lot of healing.

by Anonymousreply 30December 8, 2015 9:31 PM

Try to lose the weight slowly and over a few years rather than too quickly, gives your skin time to adapt. Also if you stick with a new diet regimen for a long time it will help you to keep the weight off. Going to the gym is good but add hiking or running to your sport activities, which is relaxing and rather fun compared to going to the gym.

by Anonymousreply 31December 8, 2015 9:38 PM

Building muscle though helps a lot to reduce skin sagging.

by Anonymousreply 32December 8, 2015 9:50 PM

I appreciate all the comments. Especially the ones where people have been through a similar situation. I wasn't expecting all the supportive ones, this is after all, the datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 33December 8, 2015 10:13 PM

I like to set small goals, otherwise it's too overwhelming.

by Anonymousreply 34August 2, 2020 7:50 PM

start saving now for the body lift!

by Anonymousreply 35August 2, 2020 7:51 PM

Yes, of course your will.

Your in your fifties, not your twenties.

by Anonymousreply 36August 2, 2020 7:54 PM

I dropped about 140-ish pounds from my heaviest. I'm a touch younger (42), and some of the skin retracted. I really want a full body lift, scars or no, but it's a question of time and money.

by Anonymousreply 37August 2, 2020 8:05 PM

I lost 100 lbs. over time and am normal weight now for a few years. The only excess skin, several inches when pulled outward, is on the stomach and less on the upper torso. The legs, arms, and face doesn't show flab, and really trim. No surgery. I exercise by long daily walks and sometimes lite jogging, but don't do the gym workouts. The extra stomach skin I don't worry about at all. Am happy I lost the fat and am keeping it off. I am an older male.

by Anonymousreply 38August 2, 2020 8:10 PM

R34/2015 Bump Troll prefers the 100 percent feces diet for staying healthy.

by Anonymousreply 39August 2, 2020 8:14 PM

I see an old comment of mine. So I will repeat. If you do it "right" you will not necessarily have all this sagging skin that requires anything more than exercise. I don't really know that age matters unless you are like 70s or 80s and incapable of exercise and healthy skin.

Slowly is the only way to do it right. Weight loss surgery is so unnatural that excess skin is probably only one of the side effects.

by Anonymousreply 40August 2, 2020 8:20 PM

You'll have loose skin later on into your sixties. If you've been a sun worshiper expect it to be crepey as well.

by Anonymousreply 41August 2, 2020 8:26 PM

My advice is start researching reputable cosmetic surgeons in your area, find out what you might reasonably expect to pay for loose skin removal, and start saving accordingly. Maybe you won't need it but you'll have your bases covered just in case.

by Anonymousreply 42August 2, 2020 8:57 PM

Take collagen supplements to help. Lose weight slowly. Keep at the gym and lift weights and work every muscle in your body! Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 43August 2, 2020 9:29 PM

OP that's a lot of money to lose! Hope you find it soon.

by Anonymousreply 44August 3, 2020 4:19 PM

Totally depends on genetics. I know a couple who lost 100 together. His skin shrank up with nary a stretch mark. She had multiple surgeries to trim her skin. They took two years to lose it and have kept it off, both in their 60s now.

As far as the price of the surgery that totally depends on where you get it done.

Also health insurance may cover some or all of the cost depending on your insurance and the 'pain and discomfort' the skin causes you. Work with your doctor on the pre approvals.

by Anonymousreply 45August 3, 2020 4:31 PM

How old were they when they lost the weight, r45?

by Anonymousreply 46August 3, 2020 8:06 PM

R46 Around 50, and now close to 70 they look great.

by Anonymousreply 47August 3, 2020 8:40 PM

[quote] You need to be targeting no higher than 1-2lbs loss a week to avoid sagging skin.

I’m not OP. I’m on a diet & have been slowly losing weight at about 0.5 lbs a week & my skin is sagging. Gravity wins. You bulk up, you stretch out. You lose a lot of weight, you’re going to have sags/wrinkled skin.

by Anonymousreply 48August 3, 2020 9:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!