Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Cults

The Manson family. Moonies. Jonestown. Heaven's Gate. Branch Davidians.

You don't hear about them much these days. Are they a thing of the past? Know anybody in one?

by Anonymousreply 136September 1, 2020 5:38 AM

Have I got a story for you, OP

by Anonymousreply 1December 1, 2015 7:31 AM

The only one I know of is a young woman who disappeared into Scientology decades ago, leaving her very nice family. She has not contacted them since the 1980s.

I just remembered, a friend of mine was a distant cousin of David Koresh (sp?). She was not involved with the Branch Davidians, but she said there was a branch of her relatives that David came from who were religious wackos.

by Anonymousreply 2December 1, 2015 7:35 AM

Don't forget:

Hare Krishna

FLDS

Nation of Yahweh

WAR

ACMTC

by Anonymousreply 3December 1, 2015 7:51 AM

OK, which one of you bitches has been an ex-member of one of these cults? Come clean, now - You just know some DLer got wooed by some hairy hippy guy with a huge dick, a bottle of cheap booze, drugs and some pillow-talk.

by Anonymousreply 4December 1, 2015 7:55 AM

There are tons of people with cult mentalities that find each other on the internet. I think that satisfies the urge to find like-minded nut jobs like themselves. It ranges from the crazy conspiracy theorists on reddit to an entire message board dedicated to feline diabetes (with the craziest fraus I have ever encountered - I can't even explain it here... you'd have to spend a few hours on that board). Paleo and keto dieters act like they are in a cult. People who do Cross fit also have that same bizarre mentality. It's not the same as the big famous crazy psychopath-led cult, but it satisfies people's needs to fit in to something.

by Anonymousreply 5December 1, 2015 7:56 AM

Fans of the hit show 'Daria' behave like a cult

by Anonymousreply 6December 1, 2015 8:05 AM

i thought my friend was in a cult when she started claiming god spoke to her, turns out she just became an evangelist

by Anonymousreply 7December 1, 2015 8:48 AM

And what about the Duggars? Nothing if not a DIY cult, I'd say.

by Anonymousreply 8December 1, 2015 11:53 AM

I was fucked by the Symbionese Liberation Army. My ass bled for years.

by Anonymousreply 9December 1, 2015 12:08 PM

Now it's "yoga" and "spirituality" and "mommy groups" but it's all the same shit.

by Anonymousreply 10December 1, 2015 1:20 PM

I believe that a mentally ill neighbor's extremist church is a cult. They believe the KJV bible is utterly without error, and must be observed without exception. This means killing, or having the government execute, the unsaved, including gays and adulterers. Further, I think you'll find there are more than a handful of these nuts around.

by Anonymousreply 11December 1, 2015 1:54 PM

When I was in high school during the early 80s (yes. I'm old!) we were always warned about the Children of God culties were known to be in the surrounding area. Do the Children still exist?

by Anonymousreply 12December 1, 2015 1:57 PM

I miss those crazy, fun "end times" cults - you know, like the Manson family believing in Helter Skelter and those Heaven's Gate people believing they were going off in a rocket to some other universe

by Anonymousreply 13December 1, 2015 4:05 PM

Cults have gone mainstream -- the are called Amway or The Forum now.

by Anonymousreply 14December 1, 2015 4:09 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 1, 2015 4:17 PM

ALL organized religions are cults.

by Anonymousreply 16December 1, 2015 7:06 PM

People like R10 have no idea what a real cult is.

Like R11 said, its all about hate churches now. What used to be cults are now the weird storefront church around the block, where the pastor is up in everyone's business and everyone is convinced Satan and his demons are behind everything from Obama and the gays to "worldly music" and the end times that we are clearly living in. These are today's "cults." Crazy old-time religion with a huge dose of mental illness throughout. These are the people who "pray over" deathly sick kids rather than take them to the hospital, and who wind up killing kids and women during "exorcisms."

by Anonymousreply 17December 1, 2015 7:24 PM

Teabaggers.

by Anonymousreply 18December 1, 2015 7:36 PM

Trump supporters

by Anonymousreply 19December 1, 2015 8:04 PM

These new "cults" are boring. I want to hear about cults who do freaky shit like this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 1, 2015 8:07 PM

Children of God is still around but it's called The Family International now, R12.

by Anonymousreply 21December 1, 2015 8:31 PM

Crossfit, Veganism

by Anonymousreply 22December 1, 2015 9:00 PM

What's the name of that 'church' that pickets everything, even soldiers funerals? They're a cult.

Could you call neo-nazis at least cult-ish?

by Anonymousreply 23December 2, 2015 4:53 AM

[quote]And what about the Duggars? Nothing if not a DIY cult, I'd say.

The Duggars are members of fundamentalist Christian Bill Gothard's Institute in Basic Life Principles organization. That organization is considered a cult by many because of misogyny and the promotion of spanking children. Bill Gothard has also been acussed of sexual harrassment. Some of the allegigations involved young women who were interns for his organization.

by Anonymousreply 24December 2, 2015 5:01 AM

[R24] To teach obedience, they put babies on a mat on the floor. If the baby crawls off the mat, he gets hit and put right back on the mat. They do this over and over again. That's brutality, and it should be a crime.

by Anonymousreply 25December 2, 2015 5:08 AM

That's because the largest cult has been stealing all the smaller cults' oxygen with their "Peace".

by Anonymousreply 26December 2, 2015 5:14 AM

The Trans Cult!

by Anonymousreply 27December 2, 2015 5:15 AM

I saw a video in which Michelle Duggar bragged that she sold the rulers they use to beat their infants as R25 describes when there was, apparently, a nation-wide shortage. I don't think the ruler manufacturer knows of this use, but if they did, I would expect them to pull the product from the market. I can't believe they aren't being prosecuted for child abuse.

by Anonymousreply 28December 2, 2015 5:29 AM

Quiverfull, Vision Forum, Advanced Training Institute, etc.....all the groups surrounding the Duggars could be classified as cults. Their whole purpose is breeding a large enough voting block to enact a Christian theocracy.

Back in one of the Josh threads, I posted a link to the instruction manual they use for disciplining children, and it was the sickest thing I've ever read. Parts of it were outright S&M sexual in tone. They freely admit that the goal is to break the child's will as early as possible, starting with infants who touch a mother's hair or glasses while nursing.

The weapons become more severe with age. Infants get slapped with hands, but by the time they're walking it has progressed to flexible plastic rulers. and it only gets worse from there. When the Duggars had their first special on TV there was a massive purge of ATI/IFB blog and message board posts in which Michelle had discussed her disciplinary methods.

When you have a group of mothers all believing that slapping a 3-month-old baby across the face is a great idea and never questioning that advice, I'd say there's some mind-control involved.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29December 2, 2015 5:42 AM

The Beyhive, Beliebers, Swifties, and the Little Monsters come to mind.

by Anonymousreply 30December 2, 2015 5:50 AM

Thanks for writing that, [R29]. More people need to know what the Duggars are really all about. It's horrific!

by Anonymousreply 31December 2, 2015 6:31 AM

Landmark Education. Creepy.

by Anonymousreply 32December 2, 2015 7:24 AM

The Moonies were big in Oregon until 1984 when they used salmonella to poison salad bars around The Dalles, Oregon in order to win local elections. After that, they essentially faded away.

I have to agree with [R5], that those people with cult mentalities will find each other on the internet. Landmark and Scientology still seem to be functioning, but from what I can see, they're more interested in extorting money from their members, than offering any real salvation.

by Anonymousreply 33December 2, 2015 7:55 AM

Anorexics

by Anonymousreply 34December 2, 2015 8:27 PM

[quote] What's the name of that 'church' that pickets everything, even soldiers funerals? They're a cult.

Westboro Baptist Church.

by Anonymousreply 35December 2, 2015 9:10 PM

That was the Rajneeshees, R33. The Moonies were far too fabulous to sully their white gloves with salmonella.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36December 2, 2015 9:42 PM

The Church of wells is a small, homegrown cult in Texas (of course), They're nuts!

by Anonymousreply 37December 2, 2015 10:55 PM

I represented a kid in court who had been removed because she had been beaten with a 'Mischief Minder' ruler that her fundie parents had specially ordered for that purpose. They made the mistake of leaving her with her maternal grandparents who saw the bruises and called the cops. She was two years old.

by Anonymousreply 38December 3, 2015 12:18 AM

I found the link to To Train Up A Child — the book followed by the Duggars — but I was mistaken in thinking that infants are slapped with a hand:

[quote]Any spanking, to effectively reinforce instruction, must cause pain, but the most pain is on the surface of bare skin where the nerves are located. A surface sting will cause sufficient pain, with no injury or bruising. Select your instrument according to the child's size. For the under one year old, a little, ten- to twelve-inch long, willowy branch (striped of any knots that might break the skin) about one-eighth inch diameter is sufficient. Sometimes alternatives have to be sought. A one-foot ruler, or its equivalent in a paddle, is a sufficient alternative. For the larger child, a belt or larger tree branch is effective.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39December 3, 2015 6:08 AM

[R38] Thank God you helped that poor little girl.

by Anonymousreply 40December 3, 2015 6:55 AM

Hillary supporters.

by Anonymousreply 41December 3, 2015 12:25 PM

Hi, I'm Do

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42December 5, 2015 8:41 PM

Trump is a cult. The people supporting him now are people who had Trump wallets in the eighties.

by Anonymousreply 43December 5, 2015 8:47 PM

I went to high school in the late 70's and I remember the craziness of EST. They wouldn't let people pee at the meeting. A guy I graduated with got sucked into it and he wouldn't talk about anything else. He was always trying to recruit.

by Anonymousreply 44December 5, 2015 8:49 PM

Think what you want, but Rev. Moon has more power in Washington than all of you.

by Anonymousreply 45December 5, 2015 8:50 PM

This guy was not well known outside Quebec, yet he chopped a woman's arm off, did surgery on another (she died), placed a kid in the snow (he froze to death), and castrated somebody else. The book is an interesting read.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46December 5, 2015 8:52 PM

R32, I lost who I thought was a great friend to that place.

What's odd is that years after we stopped talked we ran into each other (I guess they let members go to Pride) and we've been talking back and forth, planning a coffee catch up session. And I'm so DUMB I keep forgetting -- in all likelihood -- he'll bring it up again. and ask me to join. again.

by Anonymousreply 47December 5, 2015 8:52 PM

The Mickey Mouse Club produced the likes of Christina, Britney, et al., and they've sure shed a lot of mouse-ke-tears.

by Anonymousreply 48December 5, 2015 9:01 PM

The new cults are conspiracy theories e.g. Illuminati Paranoid type shit and 9/11 'truthers' and then of course, the Transgender cult that is all the rage.

by Anonymousreply 49December 5, 2015 9:08 PM

Don't forget the Mormons!

by Anonymousreply 50December 5, 2015 9:27 PM

I love my younger brother but a head injury and isolation mixed with alcoholism seem to have turned him into a crazy conspiracy theorist.

When he started going on about Rothschildes and New World Order, I thought he was kidding. Nope. Dead serious.

by Anonymousreply 51December 5, 2015 9:34 PM

Whatever happened to those people in airports who would come up to you and pin a flower on you and ask for a donation? What were their names? How come they don't do that anymore.

by Anonymousreply 52December 5, 2015 9:37 PM

I have a cousin who is heavy into Burning Man. All he does and talks about is planning for that once a year petroleum fueled white privilege party in the middle of Nevada dry lake bed. When ever the topic comes up that Burning Man jumped the short 10 years ago and is nothing but a superficial white guy corporate retreat with hookers and drugs, He flies into a rage about how we are so 'default world' and 'unenlightened'

by Anonymousreply 53December 5, 2015 9:57 PM

*jumped the shark

by Anonymousreply 54December 5, 2015 9:58 PM

The Duggars are truly horrible people. How they ended up on a mainstream TV network (not Christian, per se) and are still being offered specials after everything that's come to light about them is horrifying. The parents and Josh at least should be in prison.

by Anonymousreply 55December 5, 2015 10:32 PM

Today we are preoccupied by a little terrorist group know as ISIL.

I do not believevthey pose any credible threat to the United States.

by Anonymousreply 56December 5, 2015 10:37 PM

Barack Obama is more adult than anybody on the Republican side. All of those people are incompetent fools who would be fodder for the wiles of foreign countries.

by Anonymousreply 57December 5, 2015 10:57 PM

R52, They were Hare Krishna, and got banned from soliciting at all airports. At LAX there were constant complaints re lying who got the donated money. "Freedom from religion acts" meant that they got to stay in Los Angeles's super crowded airport. Finally a very smart lawyer blocked them and all other non-authorized businesses that didn't pay rent at airports yet added to the traffic jams and potential hazzards.

Hare Krishna has changed it's name to "Unity." They sponsor a Color Festival and a yoga demo day in Vegas. Once went to an outside entertainment celebration with a magician friend who had been asked to perform. It's "bait and switch" until they find out you won't give them any money.

by Anonymousreply 58December 5, 2015 11:27 PM

Most Republicans, especially teabaggers, are in a cult that worships wealth and war.

by Anonymousreply 59December 5, 2015 11:39 PM

" The Manson family. Moonies. Jonestown. Heaven's Gate. Branch Davidians. You don't hear about them much these days. Are they a thing of the past? "

Unfortunately, no. They're still with us.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60December 5, 2015 11:43 PM

Don't forget The Guilty Remnant. Hey, have you gotten your hug from my son, Holy Tommy?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61December 6, 2015 12:39 AM

"Pay Money Be Happy" is an excellent article evaluation of The Forum bot "intellectually-based" cults in general. The author includes other media references to anti-Forum groups. Always wondered why I got so frustrated listen to others I casually encountered who had taken "Life Spring" and EST. Reading a few of the common phrases used by The Forum' is total gobbledygook (garbage) to me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62December 6, 2015 5:49 AM

The politically-created, corporate Christianity is the biggest death-cult out there.

by Anonymousreply 63December 6, 2015 5:54 AM

Here is an example from a poster on "Quora" that best illustrates what I mean by "Gobbledygook:" Trying to read the following gives me an instant headache so I can't even read it. Does anyone understand what this stuff means?

"The way The Landmark Forum works Anything you want for yourself or your life is available out of your participation in The Landmark Forum. You can have any result for yourself or your life that you invent as a possibility, and enroll others in your having gotten. Enrollment is causing a new possibility to be present for another, such that they are touched, moved, and inspired by that possibility. The results you get out of your participation in The Landmark Forum are a product of the possibilities that you invent for yourself and enroll others in your having gotten.

Transformation: The genesis of a new realm of possibility.

In The Landmark Forum, you will bring forth the presence of a new realm of possibility for yourself and your life.

Inside this new realm of possibility: The constraints the past imposes on your view of life disappear, a new view of life emerges. New possibilities for being, call you powerfully into being. New openings for action, call you powerfully into action. The experience of being alive transforms."

by Anonymousreply 64December 6, 2015 6:10 AM

[quote]I just remembered, a friend of mine was a distant cousin of David Koresh

My aunt's family were friends with the family of his second-in-command, Steve Schneider.

by Anonymousreply 65December 6, 2015 6:10 AM

Friend from H.S. got involved with The Way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66December 6, 2015 6:27 AM

The world wide cult is ISIS. What began as a Sunni v Shia conflict in Iraq and Syria has become a cult intent on recruiting as many men as possible to their cause.

This is achieved by professionally done propaganda films, splicing images of horrific violence complete with special effects and music, and images of the same men happy and smiling and showing a lot of camaraderie.

If any of the prior cults mentioned had had access to the Internet and Facebook, Twitter, etc., their popularity would have increased substantially.

The typical disenfranchised young man, who has never had a job, a man or woman partner, a feeling of belonging is welcomed into the Isis family as the "true" place he belongs. Do not write off these people as simple psychos; it's similar to why young people join street gangs, feelings of alienation, etc., but on a global scale.

by Anonymousreply 67December 6, 2015 7:35 AM

R67, Don't forget the heavy use of mind altering drugs that are so commonly used by Daesh. Personally believe the thugs don't mind dying when their minds get so fried. There's a heavy emphasis on power and sex with virgins the fighters would never have had access to before joining the death cult too.

by Anonymousreply 68December 6, 2015 7:45 AM

R 68 I agree totally. I saw something on CNN about this incredibly strong methanphetamine which is no longer available legally . It is routinely given to all; produces incredible feelings of euphoria, feelings of being invincible and of course they can stay awake for days, I live very close to San Bernadino, and it feels very close to home, because it is.

My biggest fear is that somehow Trump gets elected. He would immediately go straight to war with Isis, and this is of course what they are hoping for.

by Anonymousreply 69December 6, 2015 8:02 AM

Trump got heckled by Black Lives Matter people (they FINALLY do something productive) and he left a rally crammed with his supporters because he couldn't take it.

He won't get elected to dog catcher.

by Anonymousreply 70December 6, 2015 8:20 AM

[quote]I went to high school in the late 70's and I remember the craziness of EST. They wouldn't let people pee at the meeting.

That's bullshit. When the meeting began, the trainers read a series of agreements and the trainees agreed to abide by them. Among the agreements were no walking around and no using typical interruptors like suddenly having to pee or get a drink of water when they got uncomfortable with what they were hearing. There were plenty of breaks to eat and go to the bathroom. I never felt any sense of deprivation, and I never heard of anyone who actually took the training who did.

est stressed the importance of making very clear agreements and then keeping them. They said many of the problems people got into were because they didn't do that. So we all made agreements at the beginning of the seminar, and they were on a large sign in the front of the room at all times.

I did est in NYC, and the trainer the first weekend was Werner Erhard's best friend Steve. (The second weekend the trainer was Werner's girlfriend Laurel; I believe they married later.) One of the "gorillas" (that's what they were called, est post-grad freaks) who patrolled the room apparently took exception to the way I was sitting and before our lunch break my name was called along with some others, asking me to wait and talk to Steve. I saw a line of people and since I had dinner plans with some other trainees, I left. Before the next break (when I again had plans), Steve called my name and asked to speak to me. I told him I would if he agreed to talk to me immediately. He asked what happened at the last break and I said I never agreed to give up my dinner to talk to him or anyone else. He started laughing because it was true and he hugged me and told me I was doing great. I told him the chair (a typical hotel seminar chair) bothered an old coccyx injury and he agreed I could bring in a comfortable chair and sit in the back row. I did the rest of the training reclining in pure comfort in a chaise longue with a blanket and bed pillow.

I was living with a guy who had done est and although he was a complete mess and had no idea what est was about, he proselytized to anyone who would listen. When I got home, he said the est people had called looking for me. Apparently they thought I had walked out of the training.

I appreciated some of the things I learned, but I didn't become a devotée nor did I ever proselytize for them. I was impressed with their professionalism, even down to their graphic designs, some of the best work I had ever seen. Although they were selling all kinds of advanced trainings and used their graduates to shill for them (including the guy with whom I was living), I never got the sense they were a cult and they never pushed me to do anything beyond the original training.

Landmark may have been. I understand it was a horse of a different color.

I had a good friend who sort of bounced from one cult to another, looking for something she never found so I have a pretty good idea what cults look and sound like.

by Anonymousreply 71December 6, 2015 9:20 AM

[R64] Yes, what a mess of words thrown together that mean nothing and gives me a headache, too. It makes you wonder if this is a deliberate word smash-up intended to confuse or if they're just really bad writers. In any case, somebody who is drawn into a cult with those words has to have some sort of mental deficiency. Same with Scientology and most cults. Their naming of things makes members feel like they're special, using a language that only their special little group knows about. For Scientology, it's Thetans, Xenu ,Suppressive Persons, climbing the ladder, etc., but most cult use made-up words. Aren't we the most special of all-we have our own language!

by Anonymousreply 72December 6, 2015 9:44 AM

Hello? Anyone out there?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73December 6, 2015 3:16 PM

R72, Thank you for providing an explanation of "the bigger picture" behind the seemingly nonsense phrases. I never got how "confessing" anything could change someone's life.. It was "a thing" for a time among actors who could afford it. "Life Spring" was another popular gimmick." When I asked those I'd met what they got out of the seminar they'd respond with the frustrating to hear, "You have to experience it for yourself." As a non-drug user I'd get a better response if I had asked about their latest drug trip.

At least with Burning Man there's a tremendous amount of avant garde art to see; it's a photographers' dream. Would anyone like a link to a series of creative art and fire exhibits? It's quite expensive; you'll need a gas eating mobile home if you don't want to spend all of your time coated in dirt from the frequent dust storms.

by Anonymousreply 74December 6, 2015 3:30 PM

Just read that EST founder had taken Scieno courses and used much of the material along with much of the pop psychology in vogue at the time. When he was exposed on 60 Minutes he blamed high level scienos for trying to get back at him.

by Anonymousreply 75December 6, 2015 3:33 PM

I shared an apartment with a guy who tried to get me interested in this pudgy little dude, formerly known as "Maharaj Ji" and his cult, Divine Light Mission. He was always going off to festivals and other events to see "his guru," which I didn't mind because I got to have the place to myself. I moved out and we lost touch, but the more I've read about that fucked up megalomaniac and his sheep-like disciples the more bizarre it seems...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76December 6, 2015 3:57 PM

Are the Larouchiacs (Lyndon LaRouche youth followers) still around college campuses? Back in '02/'03, these were young, diverse, college-aged kids who'd spout off all this random pro-Larouche propaganda.

by Anonymousreply 77December 6, 2015 4:06 PM

Always felt the "Dead" followers were like a cult. They're the groupies that used to follow the Grateful Dead around to all of their concerts. Agree that some Vegan and Raw Foods groups have become almost cult like.

R77, There used to be stories of wealthy, privileged families who left the corporate white-collar world, split up the kids and ran off to India to find their Guru. Considering much of India isn't like the "fairy tale" pretty but exotic version sometimes portrayed in the media I could never understand it.

by Anonymousreply 78December 6, 2015 5:29 PM

Current day republicans who support Fox news are a cult. Also, the NRA.

by Anonymousreply 79December 6, 2015 5:37 PM

Many churches are cults, especially mega-churches of the Evangelical Prosperity Gospel, and places like Mars Hill in Seattle. Fox News can be a cult: I know people who watch it every waking moment. Mid-level marketing pyramid schemes are frequently cultish, as were the older ones like Amway and Melaleuca.

by Anonymousreply 80December 6, 2015 6:02 PM

I'm all for animals and the environment but PETA is a fucking cult, it really is. They don't believe humans should be allowed to own pets, like dogs and cats. But there are millions of pets so what does PETA propose we do with them? Kill them all! That way they don't have to be enslaved (because they'll be dead). Fucking loons.

by Anonymousreply 81December 6, 2015 6:08 PM

Bump. Fascinating thread.

by Anonymousreply 82October 4, 2016 4:02 PM

The Trans Cult has replaced all of them

Behold 'Gender Angels' and 'Gender Ghosts'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83October 4, 2016 4:16 PM

Cults seem to have become more sophisticated these days. It's all about personal empowerment, self actualisation and creaming off the diciples disposable income on seminars and workshops.

"Guru Nigel helped align my shakras and get in touch with my inner child before my last job interview, and now I've landed that promotion, I've got the money to attend that weekend retreat."

by Anonymousreply 84October 4, 2016 4:47 PM

I worked with an EST graduate and I got the impression that you weren't supposed to discuss EST with other people. He certainly wouldn't, anyway. I didn't ask, I was a teenager, didn't care about EST.

I do recall Valerie Harper thanking Werner Erhard every time she opened her mouth....it became something of a joke with my crowd.

by Anonymousreply 85October 4, 2016 5:44 PM

Cults have become more diversified.

Celebrity fandoms can become cults (like those One Direction, Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber, etc. fans). Also movies and TV shows.

Brands have become cults (like Microsoft or Apple).

Social Media in itself is a cult where you are required to share, share, and share some more about yourself.

A great deal of people have turned their backs on religion because they see through its shame and guilt rethoric to turn followers into obedient slaves. And yet these very same people find themselved in different versions of cults who bind them to the cult's agenda or cause.

by Anonymousreply 86October 4, 2016 6:04 PM

These guys still show up at concerts and music festivals:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87October 4, 2016 6:55 PM

[quote]Always felt the "Dead" followers were like a cult.

In what way? A cult is more than just a group of people who share interests. It's a controlled organization where the members are preyed upon by the "leadership" and exploited. Liking a certain kind of music and even devoting oneself to traveling around the country hearing it doesn't qualify, except perhaps to a 1950s hausfrau.

by Anonymousreply 88October 4, 2016 6:58 PM

The Church of Wells cult leaders are attractive. I can see why they're effective.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89October 5, 2016 8:38 PM

BLM has become a cult.

by Anonymousreply 90August 30, 2020 12:37 AM

The Trump Cult

by Anonymousreply 91August 30, 2020 1:03 AM

my brother was in Amway, it seemed like a cult.

a good friend is heavy into AA, I can’t relate to him anymore all he does is spout their stuff and acts like he’s superior

by Anonymousreply 92August 30, 2020 1:14 AM

Antifi is clearly a cult.

by Anonymousreply 93August 30, 2020 8:34 AM

[quote]You don't hear about them much these days. Are they a thing of the past? Know anybody in one?

Hehehe. I love an ignorant populace.

by Anonymousreply 94August 30, 2020 8:38 AM

A previously sensible friend of mine got involved with the David Icke Cavalcade Of Loonies. She started spouting insane crap about shape shifting lizards and vaccines being a conspiracy. I backed off from regular contact for a while because I found it upsetting seeing someone I cared for becoming so wrapped up in this nonsense. Happily she moved on from it.

by Anonymousreply 95August 30, 2020 8:42 AM

[quote]My brother was in Amway, it seemed like a cult.

A well-known cult expert says it meets the criteria.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96August 30, 2020 8:43 AM

The Trump cult, QAnon, right wing populism...the cults are still very much there, they’re just mainly political based now (which if anything makes them far more dangerous)

by Anonymousreply 97August 30, 2020 8:47 AM

We've just broken into the right-wing and leftwing cults in this country.

by Anonymousreply 98August 30, 2020 8:52 AM

Great topic OP. I know someone who is involved in Seattle who is involved in a cult called The Modern Mystery School. She's an acquaintance on Facebook and started acting like a nut a few years back when she got involved with them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99August 30, 2020 9:16 AM

R99, that reads like a parody of a middle class white person New Age cult. Or someone took random words from other such cult sites and ran them thru a phrase generator.

by Anonymousreply 100August 31, 2020 9:54 AM

Long and the YouTube about Hollywood Satanists is crazy but informative about Modern Mystery School.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101August 31, 2020 10:25 AM

I see the OP posted in 2015.

With that said, this is an excellent look inside cults from the perspective of a cult infiltrator:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102August 31, 2020 10:29 AM

The Rajneeshees have already been mentioned but what hasn't been is that they were also known as 'The Orange People' because the members wore orange. They were everywhere in the late 1970s & early 1980s. I think AIDs helped kill off that cult as one of the beliefs is you can go and have sex with everyone you want to male or female. I know of a few closest males that were part of that cult - let them hid their true selves.

by Anonymousreply 103August 31, 2020 10:29 AM

Are the Jesuits a cult?

by Anonymousreply 104August 31, 2020 10:51 AM

Michfest

by Anonymousreply 105August 31, 2020 11:01 AM

“You don't hear about them much these days. Are they a thing of the past? Know anybody in one?“

Liberty University took over the news a couple of weeks ago. Where have you been?

by Anonymousreply 106August 31, 2020 12:39 PM

I'm in Kansas City, and there is still an active Hare Krishna ashram here. It calls itself a "Vedic college" and seems to draw ex-convicts and former drug addicts as members.

The ashram hosts lavish, free vegetarian dinners every Sunday, and before COVID, the Hare Krishnas were highly visible in local tourist attractions, handing out literature and chanting loudly.

by Anonymousreply 107August 31, 2020 1:08 PM

Trump supporters

by Anonymousreply 108August 31, 2020 1:13 PM

Someone mentioned Trevor Loudon in a tweet about Communists. So I looked him up on Wiki, which lead me to Zenith Applied Philosophy. Anyone heard of them before?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109August 31, 2020 1:17 PM

Hello, sir, do you have a few minutes to talk about the fate of your soul?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110August 31, 2020 1:20 PM

Where have you been OP?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111August 31, 2020 1:22 PM

Cults are everywhere. Very scary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112August 31, 2020 1:25 PM

Rose McGowan, the Jackson family and Tom Cruise are all the products of cults.

Also Kim Jong Un and Donald Trump followers.

by Anonymousreply 113August 31, 2020 1:26 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114August 31, 2020 1:35 PM

I lived in the Bay Area after high school and a friend and I were invited to dinner by some guys we met. There were a lot of young kids eating together and playing guitars and I remember feeling really happy to be among them. I was looking around on the walls for pictures or some kind of clue what this place was all about. When we went to leave they wouldn't give us back our shoes which they made us take off when we entered. Months later I read an article about the Moonie House in the Berkeley Hills where we had been. I was stunned.

by Anonymousreply 115August 31, 2020 1:41 PM

I was invited to a "free yoga" lesson. Turned out it was chanting yoga, which I never heard of. After hours of chanting and bowing down to a photo of an Asian woman they had a reception. I was surrounded by them and actually had to push through them to get to the door and outside.

It was clearly a cult using deception but I have never figured out which one. I never spoke again to those two gay cunts who invited me to the "free yoga" session. "Want to learn some yoga?"

by Anonymousreply 116August 31, 2020 1:48 PM

The politically correct (and more accurate) term for cult these days is "High Control Group".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117August 31, 2020 1:51 PM

R117 A Children of God-created Rose McGowan by any other name is a nutty Rose McGowan.

by Anonymousreply 118August 31, 2020 1:53 PM

Anyone who owns an iPhone is part of a cult. They suck and are not powerful!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119August 31, 2020 2:01 PM

R113 So is Glennie.

by Anonymousreply 120August 31, 2020 2:02 PM

I wonder if the power of cults has been undermined by the internet, seeing that information control is a major cult recruitment and retention tactic.

by Anonymousreply 121August 31, 2020 2:02 PM

It has been increased by the Internet. Qanon? Heard of it?

by Anonymousreply 122August 31, 2020 2:08 PM

NXIVM was a pretty big cult for a while.

Also, Y'all Qaeda, militia groups etc. are all a cult. It's no wonder they're all financed by Erik Prince. That bastard's family owns the Amway cult.

Q idiots are an almost textbook example of a cult.

by Anonymousreply 123August 31, 2020 4:58 PM

I think Scientology has been hurt by the internet.

by Anonymousreply 124August 31, 2020 7:05 PM

Love this cult parody staring younger version of aging & deceased stars.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125August 31, 2020 7:22 PM

R100 and R101 - my acquaintance is in at least one of the photos on my link. She is in the third photo down from the large main picture. Hint: she has her right hand on another woman's shoulder and has a look of surprise on her face.

Apparently, the "leader" of the MMS cult, is an Icelandic guy named Gudni Gundason. Gudni has a handful of other leaders, mostly male and mostly Japanese.

As far as women leaders go, there appear to be a few with one being an older, bigger woman named, Verla Wade. She has a really creepy youtube video where she babbles about new age nonsense. I tried to friend her on Facebook and she wouldn't take the bait. I wanted to see if she would try to get me into the cult.

There are rumors that the leaders quickly separate people from their friends, family, and bank accounts. The money shakedowns suck every last penny from the naive, confused, mislead followers. Volunteers are used to do the dirty work, and then Gudni and company sweep in and pocket the cash. There are also rumors of sexual abuse - I certainly don't find that hard to believe - just take a look at Gudni's face. It's got psycho pervert written all over it. I wouldn't put it past ol' Verla Wade either because she looks twisted.

Anyway, it's clear that my friend is in a cult and that she's getting weirder and weirder all the time. Oh, and she works for a non-profit mental health counseling business. Makes me shudder when I think what she may tell her clients. Does she try to lead them to the cult?

by Anonymousreply 126September 1, 2020 3:38 AM

Here's a link to a video starring ol' Verla Wade from the Modern Mystery School. Looks like she lives in some luxury, thanks to the fools who part with their money.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127September 1, 2020 3:40 AM

All religions are cults.

by Anonymousreply 128September 1, 2020 3:42 AM

R128 Well, technically, no...

by Anonymousreply 129September 1, 2020 3:45 AM

R99 here - I meant to identify myself before I posted, "My acquaintance is in at least one of the photos on my link. She is in the third photo down from the large main picture. Hint: she has her right hand on another woman's shoulder and has a look of surprise on her face."

by Anonymousreply 130September 1, 2020 4:02 AM

Does anyone know if this is a cult? Clearmind out of Vancouver? I suspect something is not right here. An acquaintance tried to drag me to an event. No thanks!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131September 1, 2020 4:47 AM

Cults terrify me and the Trump cult might be one of the scariest, because they walk among us.

by Anonymousreply 132September 1, 2020 4:54 AM

R131 - the name, Clearmind, sure sounds like a cult.

by Anonymousreply 133September 1, 2020 5:15 AM

All those cults connected to the Human Potential Movement creep me out!

by Anonymousreply 134September 1, 2020 5:36 AM

Definitely Q- big time cult.

by Anonymousreply 135September 1, 2020 5:37 AM

Was it Supreme Master Ching Hai, R116?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136September 1, 2020 5:38 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!