Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How could Elizabeth Taylor drink so much and still look good?

It is thought that excessive alcohol consumption ages you terribly. Look at Richard Burton, Peter O’Toole, Spencer Tracy, Elaine Stritch. Yet, Elizabeth Taylor who was a prodigious alkie and could match Burton glass-for-glass, looked pretty good right up to the end. Internally, she probably suffered a lot of damage, but her skin and facial features appeared unaffected by the sauce. Was it just good genes?

by Anonymousreply 187July 24, 2020 12:11 PM

Um, were you in a coma during the 70s-00s, when she was a bloated shell of her former self?

by Anonymousreply 1December 1, 2015 12:45 AM

Wtf are you talking about? Have you seen pics of her from the time she met Burton and on? All the smoking and drinking caused her weight to shoot up and her face became visibly puffy and swollen. Wasn't until after Burton died that she was able to clean up her act and after her stint at Betty Ford.

by Anonymousreply 2December 1, 2015 12:49 AM

Aside from the Studio 54 fat fuck period I thought she looked really good. She puffed up because she liked to eat. Her face never looked like a lined road map.

by Anonymousreply 3December 1, 2015 12:53 AM

Kielbasa

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4December 1, 2015 1:00 AM

Yeah of course the eating made her balloon up r2 here that's obvious forgot to mention her eating . Not good genes op so much as good plastic surgery. But all the smoking drinking and eating came with a price. Her face became more puffy and hardened mid 60s on. Plastic surgery can only do so much.

by Anonymousreply 5December 1, 2015 1:01 AM

Well I never thought she looked good even when she was young, but tons of makeup, botox, plastic surgery,etc can make a huge difference. Oh and those white diamonds have always brought her luck.

by Anonymousreply 6December 1, 2015 1:02 AM

R4. More like roasted pig.

by Anonymousreply 7December 1, 2015 1:02 AM

Female alcoholics don't seem to suffer the dreaded nose-bloat like the drunken males.

by Anonymousreply 8December 1, 2015 1:03 AM

I snuck this photo of Liz in the early 00s, as we were told we could not talk to or take pix of her. I was working at a famous spot in Hawaii, and she toured. I usually obeyed, but it was LIZ.

I've never shared this here before.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9December 1, 2015 1:12 AM

Was that at Pearl Harbor?

by Anonymousreply 10December 1, 2015 1:15 AM

If you R10 mean THE world famous Pearl Harbor all-you-can-eat Chinese restaurant? No.

by Anonymousreply 11December 1, 2015 1:17 AM

Substitute the name of Ava Gardner and you have posed a good question.

by Anonymousreply 12December 1, 2015 1:50 AM

R2 Elizabeth had already finished her first stay at the Betty Ford Clinic and gotten sober before Richard Burton died.

He even called Elizabeth and asked her what the Betty Ford clinic was like.

by Anonymousreply 13December 1, 2015 2:01 AM

Liz got fat and lost weight several times. Somewhere along the way she became quite the butt (not a pun) of jokes on the evening talk shows (in the '80s maybe). Then she lost weight (whether by way of rehab or not) and got good plastic surgery and great dye jobs and looked pretty good again for a while. By the time of the picture in the wheelchair, I think she was in her '70s. Even famous movie stars get old eventually. When you get old, you don't look so good anymore unless you're Jane Fonda (and god knows how much surgery she's had but she's never been very fat so her skin undoubtedly has much better elasticity than Liz Taylor's did). Guess what--you will get old too (if you're lucky).

by Anonymousreply 14December 1, 2015 2:16 AM

Liz looked radiant from the mid 80's to about the mid 90's.

She had a lot of health problems which caused her to age.

by Anonymousreply 15December 1, 2015 2:21 AM

Her thighs were going condo! If you stuck a fork in her thighs,gravy would cum out!

by Anonymousreply 16December 1, 2015 2:28 AM

R13 hmmm guess you're right. She made a HBO film around that time maybe in 82. Great film called Between Friends. She looked puffy but she could've done it before rehab in 83 and then Burton died in 84.

by Anonymousreply 17December 1, 2015 2:38 AM

She had some kind of genetic disorder that caused her to have lots of health problems. One of the symptoms of the disorder is double rows of eyelashes. When she was cast in a film at age 12 the director got upset because her dark, extra thick eyelashes looked too provocative for a child and he thought she was wearing false ones. I wonder if her genetic issue was also the reason she had those astonishing violet colored eyes? I've never seen any photos of another human being with such vibrant purple colored irises.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 1, 2015 2:50 AM

Her eyes were beautiful, but many people have double lash rows. Tends to happen in middle eastern, Indian and darker skinned people. I have double lashes and though I am approaching fifty they are still dark and caterpillar thick and long. I am a dude and not a day goes by that people don't comment on my eyes. LIght eyes and thick dark lashes get attention.

I don't think Taylor's eyes were violet, a colour really not known. She had cornflower blue eyes with some gold and green and whatever flecks in them. I am sure they looked violet at times but it is not a real eye color. Regardless, Taylor lost the definition of beauty by her early thirties, She was short and thick and flabby, her heart shaped face came and went and later came back again. In terms of real beauty, hers was lush and lasted only as long as her youth. Her coloring, fine nose and unusually full mouth kept her looking carnal, sometimes even pretty for a long time. But not beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 19December 1, 2015 3:11 AM

R10, that cunty reply was not from me. yes, that's at the Pearl Harbor Visitor Center. It was closed down for her, but I got to lead her and the ladies attending, back to the car. She was lovely to me, and I thought she looked good.

by Anonymousreply 20December 1, 2015 3:30 AM

I thought she was the most beautiful woman in the world. Incredible eyes (Tyrone Power also had double-rowed eyelashes, which helped make him the most beautiful MAN in the world!).

by Anonymousreply 21December 1, 2015 3:35 AM

"She has more chins than the Chinese phone book"!

by Anonymousreply 22December 1, 2015 3:42 AM

[quote]double row of eyelashes

"Tell me about it. You know being devastatingly beautiful can be a bit of a curse. I am however willing to be burdened for you viewing pleasure. Face it; I have. I am THE most beautiful man you've ever laid eyes on.........."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23December 1, 2015 3:44 AM

I just watched her guest stint on Hotel in the mid-80s. She ws tanned and bloated and looked like shit. She also appeared drunk.

by Anonymousreply 24December 1, 2015 3:45 AM

On “Saturday Night Live” in 1978, John Belushi hilariously parodied Taylor choking on a chicken bone, which actually happened as she campaigned for her then-husband No. 6, John Warner, in Big Stone Gap, Va. (Warner won the race, becoming a Republican senator from Virginia. But Taylor didn’t take to D.C. life, and her unhappiness bloomed along with her weight.).....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25December 1, 2015 4:04 AM

Her coloring, fine nose and unusually full mouth kept her looking carnal, sometimes even pretty for a long time. But not beautiful. R19

by Anonymousreply 26December 1, 2015 4:47 AM

Nice tits Yawza!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27December 1, 2015 4:49 AM

R27 Thanks for the link.I'm going to check out Secret Ceremony, with Ma Farrow.Sounds interesting.

by Anonymousreply 28December 1, 2015 5:17 AM

She looked great in There Must be a Pony in 1986. That was right after she lost all the John Warner weight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29December 1, 2015 5:30 AM

She looked gorgeous circa 1987 when her book Elizabeth Takes Off was published.

by Anonymousreply 30December 1, 2015 5:36 AM

Liz looks like stockard Channing in that pic @R29

by Anonymousreply 31December 1, 2015 5:47 AM

She really was gorgeous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32December 1, 2015 5:51 AM

Circa 1968

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33December 1, 2015 5:56 AM

Her eyes look violet in this gif.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34December 1, 2015 5:59 AM

Breathtaking picture of health...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35December 1, 2015 6:06 AM

She was awesome.Fat,thin,it didn't matter.She was born to act.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36December 1, 2015 6:07 AM

She lived hard, worked hard and loved hard. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf could even be one of the best movies ever made. So jaw-droppingly amazing the acting was by all 4 actors.

by Anonymousreply 37December 1, 2015 6:12 AM

Re: Secret Ceremony In NYC 1968 it was the neighborhood urchins' habit to go to the movies every Saturday, whatever the picture. Being one of these unsophisticated yoots, there I was watching "Secret Ceremony". As I recall, we were all puzzled, since there was no dialog for the first 20 minutes, So the smart asses started up, meowing when the "cat got your tongue" line finally broke the silence. Downhill from there. (We were so young we probably shouldn't have bothered to see the movie.) Bad.

by Anonymousreply 38December 1, 2015 6:15 AM

Always happily anticipated ET"s Academy Awards appearances every year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39December 1, 2015 6:25 AM

In her prime (1950s) she was exquisite.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40December 1, 2015 7:24 AM

Only 22 here when she was the 'Mystery Guest' on WHAT'S MY LINE ..... ? she turned in a funny performance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41December 1, 2015 7:28 AM

Benny Hill style ........................

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42December 1, 2015 7:30 AM

Why is Night Watch, one of her better performances, kept so hidden?

by Anonymousreply 43December 1, 2015 7:49 AM

Short, fat...fingers like jimmy Dean sausages, tits to big, arms to stubby...skin sundamaged...thick legs...narcissistic, vulgar, alcoholic, sex addicted drug addict materialistic spoiled ,needy and questionably talented..

by Anonymousreply 44December 1, 2015 8:00 AM

She had bad points, too, R44.

by Anonymousreply 45December 1, 2015 9:06 AM

And 7 husbands and more lovers, r44!

by Anonymousreply 46December 1, 2015 3:41 PM

But she was beautiful on a good day and she wasn't afraid of her ugly phases.To me that proves she wasn't vain.

by Anonymousreply 47December 1, 2015 3:48 PM

.........Father forgive me for I have sin(S)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48January 6, 2016 4:18 AM

A year after the '76 Oscars, Baba Wawa interviewed Liz and John Warner on their ranch. Liz had become as big as a house at that point.

Baba: You wouldn't care if you got fat?

Liz: I AM fat!

John: Now!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49January 6, 2016 5:08 AM

OT: I thought that John Warner fucker was dead. Good Lord! [ET giving him her Violet gaze.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50January 6, 2016 5:21 AM

WW for r45!

by Anonymousreply 51January 6, 2016 5:42 AM

[quote]She had some kind of genetic disorder that caused her to have lots of health problems. One of the symptoms of the disorder is double rows of eyelashes.

I'm gonna bump this thread because I would like you to look at the picture below and tell me that this guy has the same genetic disorder. I have never ever seen a guy with lusher eyelashes. I thought he had fake eyelashes and was going for the femme look but nope!

FYI, his name his Kendji Girac and he was apparently the winner of one season of The Voice in France (even though he is Andalusian). He's also been on the receiving end of homophobic abuse. So what say you DL?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52July 6, 2016 11:55 PM

[QUOTE]One of the symptoms of the disorder is double rows of eyelashes.

I saw a couple of pictures of her without any make-up on; I tend to doubt that whole double row of eyelashes.

BELOW, TAYLOR in 1959. She was 27. By age 35 her looks were going downhill.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53July 7, 2016 12:40 AM

Colin Farrell fell in love with her when he was young and gorgeous and she was old and decrepit. She must have had a lot of charm and still a bit of the old beauty about her.

by Anonymousreply 54July 7, 2016 12:51 AM

Elizabeth's 1980s diet book, Elizabeth Takes Off, is actually pretty good. I still use that diet when I need to drop a few pounds. It's very old school--your basic toast and fruit for breakfast, salad for lunch, fish/lean meat + veggies for dinner dealio. But it works! And it includes recipes.

by Anonymousreply 55July 7, 2016 12:59 AM

Don't forget the after-dinner drinks!

by Anonymousreply 56July 7, 2016 1:09 AM

She started hanging out in the sun with Burton, in addition to the boozing and smoking. He really turned her out, brought out the white trash in her.

by Anonymousreply 57July 7, 2016 1:15 AM

I have a cool autographed picture from her.

by Anonymousreply 58July 7, 2016 2:04 AM

She was slimmer when she appeared in 1985 in "Malice In Wonderland" in the role of Louella Parsons. Louella was actually a porker and fat Liz would have been better suited.

by Anonymousreply 59July 7, 2016 3:33 AM

Butterfield 8 with Liz Taylor and Laurence Harvey. I always thought she was a knock-out stunning beauty of a woman in that movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60July 7, 2016 4:06 AM

her nineties look

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61July 7, 2016 4:21 AM

FUCK U, R1. My darling Elizabeth was the epitome of beauty, and the best fuck I ever had!

by Anonymousreply 62July 7, 2016 4:25 AM

That fat broad used to shake so bad while waiting for her frozen burritos to finish in the microwave that she would actually spill her generic label gin all over her triple chin...

The help began referring to her as 'Cousin Gerri'

by Anonymousreply 63July 7, 2016 4:40 AM

Whatever else, she was the most beautiful woman in the world when she made "Father of the Bridge" and "A Place in the Sun." She photographed best in black and white, I think, despite the supposedly violet eyes. And she was a helluva dame.

by Anonymousreply 64July 7, 2016 5:00 AM

Makes sense her father was a bridge...

by Anonymousreply 65July 7, 2016 5:04 AM

Was R64 taking a shot at her cheap bridge work or her addiction to bridge mix that contributed to the massive weight gain?

by Anonymousreply 66July 7, 2016 5:16 AM

I was amazed that despite the amount of alcohol she consumed over the years, and the time she baked in the sun (she usually had a deep tan), and the countless yo-yo diets that she still managed to look as good as she did.

by Anonymousreply 67July 7, 2016 12:49 PM

I've read many accounts that ET in her prime was one of the most beautiful women in Hollywood. from many accounts her gorgeous coloring and physiognomy was more apparent in person, much so than in film and photographs. but beyond her physical beauty, she was a beautiful person, one of the first A-list celebrity to put her star power to AIDS causes. for that alone IMHO she will be one of the all time beauties. here's an article about her AIDS activism from 1992 Vanity Fair...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68July 7, 2016 3:29 PM

Some years ago I was channel surfing and happened upon a showing of "Butterfield 8", a movie that I had never seen before.

I was stopped short when Elizabeth Taylor appeared on the screen.

She was absolutely beautiful.

As she aged and with all the cruel jokes, it was easy to forget how truly exquisite she had been.

I was really taken aback at how truly lovely she was in "Butterfield 8".

And it was really weird to see that Eddie Fisher was in the movie too.

What an odd couple.

by Anonymousreply 69July 7, 2016 4:01 PM

She possessed an extraordinary life force.

by Anonymousreply 70July 17, 2020 1:53 AM

I remember her commercials for white diamonds. In black and white from a distance. They made fun of it on SNL.

by Anonymousreply 71July 17, 2020 2:16 AM

She was never an "alkie"

She didn't drink as much as some people here think

by Anonymousreply 72July 17, 2020 2:20 AM

Stunning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73July 17, 2020 2:38 AM

Looking lovely in 1992.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74July 17, 2020 5:09 AM

[R44] Not beautiful! Just because someone doesn't float your boat doesn't make them not beautiful. Some people are just beautiful wether YOU want to fuck them or not. It's what I like about Liz she got it back together so many times. She'd go from fat old bag to goddess again. I may think Henry Cavill is a plank personality wise but to deny he's stunningly handsome is rediculous. Don't be churlish. Liz was beautiful. How anyone could wear that much eye make up and not look like a drag queen. I like when asked what she did for an evening look make up wise, she replied, 'more of the same'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75July 17, 2020 1:00 PM

Getting a good laugh at all the backwoods hill people in this thread calling Elizabeth fucking Taylor ugly

by Anonymousreply 76July 17, 2020 1:14 PM

Richard Burton had an acne pocked face that aged him way before his alcoholism and addiction to nicotine (and other substances) did their job. Don't kid yourself - Elizabeth did not match Burton glass-for-glass. He was the kind that stared with scotch for breakfast. Burton looked old in his twenties.

by Anonymousreply 77July 17, 2020 1:33 PM

Liz, Sophia Loren, Ava Gardner, Grace Kelly, & Rita Hayworth, were some of the most beautiful women to have ever walked this planet. And while I believe Audrey Hepburn belongs on this list, Audrey wasn’t sexy. That doesn’t take away from her being gorgeous, however.

I’ve seen photos of Hayworth, that indicate a possible nose job, which takes her off the list if factoring what is considered a natural born beauty.

So that leaves us with 3 exquisitely, naturally born beautiful women: Liz, Sophia, & Kelly.

Three very different looks, but just gorgeous.

And let’s not forget the black girls: Pam Grier, Jane Kennedy, and Vanity. Berry doesn’t make it when factoring her nose job. Besides, she just can’t compete with any of these 3. They were stunning when young, just like their white counterparts. That said, the black girls all had gorgeous figures, better ones than the white women, with the obvious exception of Sophia Loren. Vanity wasn’t at the level of the others as far as knockout bodies go. Sophia Loren, however, was the definition of a beautiful face, and amazing figure, making her a bombshell, just like Kennedy and Grier.

Personally, I don’t find stick figure women to be attractive as a whole. Curvaceous, well proportioned women with stunning faces are truly exceptional.

And that is not to imply that the women we see on Instagram who get fake butts and boobs fall into the bombshell category. They don’t, and it never, ever looks authentic and perfectly proportioned. Regardless of height, naturally developed well proportioned curves on shorter women or taller women cannot be faked via surgical interventions or even exercise. You were either born to eventually look like that, or you weren’t, and the eye is biologically trained to tell the difference is evolution for mating purposes, so scientists say.

OP is right, btw. Liz’s face held up like no other when considering her years long alcoholism and tanning. She wasn’t black, or Hispanic or Asian, who age much slower than everyone else, with black people or blacks who are biracial, like Meghan Markle and Halle Berry’, also very slowly looks wise. She definitely had a face lift or two, before hitting 50, but her skin was not wrinkled to death. Blacks and biracial folks can avoid the facelift all together or can do it after 60, and be fine, but white folks don’t have enough melanin to hold off or hold out. Liz? She had something going on with the elasticity of her skin. Perhaps it was something as simple as having oily skin, or perhaps she had some Sicilian ancestry we don’t know about?

p.s. Darker Sicilians also age slowly, but not as slowly as blacks, due to many Sicilians having green or blue eyes.

by Anonymousreply 78July 17, 2020 2:04 PM

OP Good God you need new glasses.

by Anonymousreply 79July 17, 2020 2:15 PM

She was stunningly beautiful in close up. If the camera pulled back and you got a good look at how short she was, things got more complex beauty-wise.

I went to the preview in NYC at Christie's before the auction of her estate. I knew she was short, but seeing so many pieces of her wardrobe on display really drove the point home. But despite being so short, she had huge feet. Almost all the shoes that I saw were at least size 9B.

And caftans. Lots and lots of caftans. A serious number of caftans. With big feet sticking out underneath them. Miss Taylor excelled at being viewed in close-up.

by Anonymousreply 80July 17, 2020 2:32 PM

She was very short and a bit vulgar, bless her heart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81July 17, 2020 3:10 PM

How about all of those other hard drinking-smoking Hollywood men who looked like shit before age 50? Most all of the Hollywood women were gorgeous by comparison. Gary Cooper was only 60 when he died, here he looks 80.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82July 17, 2020 3:12 PM

Anorexia is not attractive or "youthening," R81

by Anonymousreply 83July 17, 2020 3:13 PM

Elizabeth Taylor had probably the most beautiful face any female Hollywood star ever possessed - and the face makes a screen actress. She was completely mesmerizing to look at, like she couldn't possibly belong on this earth. Only Gene Tierney at her peak came close to this kind of "beauty impact." While ET aged like everyone does that face was still beautiful - despite being puffy at times. ET remains THE peerless screen beauty by whom all others will be judged.

by Anonymousreply 84July 17, 2020 3:17 PM

Elizabeth Taylor at the Oscars, 1957 aged 25 years

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85July 17, 2020 3:33 PM

Remember when Liz tried to crash Burton's grave site the evening of his funeral. In jeans no less. So trashy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86July 17, 2020 4:04 PM

In one of her bios (I've read a few...this one could've been 'ET: The Last Star' by Kitty Kelley), someone interviewed for the book joked that ET must've had a hollow leg. But whomever up thread said she couldn't match Burton drink for drink is correct, because he always had a head start on her.

Kitty also interviewed someone (I know...she could've just made it up) that said Liz was forced to abort Sinatra's child. I think they would've made a good couple for a couple of years, but the drunken fights would've been as bad or worse than her brawls with Burton. All that said, she was truly a force.

by Anonymousreply 87July 17, 2020 4:17 PM

R2 TWO stints at Betty Ford. But she was the first celebrity to come forward about it. This was (of course) long before the notion of "rehab" became a fashionable "cure-all" for celebrity bad behavior; drug related, or not.

I'm so glad she got her shit together in the 80s. The 80s & 90s were two of the most productive and powerful decades of her life...and she barely acted. She had her share of problems (self-induced, and not), but she was really an amazing, kind, compassionate woman. I never met her, but it saddens me to know she isn't among us anymore.

by Anonymousreply 88July 17, 2020 5:30 PM

R88 / well actually Betty Ford was one of the first celebs to come forward about her addictions, (and breast cancer too). I remember as a teenager being shocked at how much better Betty looked post WH when she got sober and lost that matronly hairstyle - you could suddenly see the beautiful showgirl she had been She also had some very good work done at the time - which she freely admitted. She’s actually one of the more impressive First Ladies.

by Anonymousreply 89July 18, 2020 1:45 AM

R88, just because one completed the course at Betty Ford doesn't mean he/she ever got they're "shit together" for more than six months.

by Anonymousreply 90July 18, 2020 2:43 AM

[Quote]doesn't mean he/she ever got they're "shit together"

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 91July 19, 2020 2:32 PM

Was Larry Fortensky hung?

by Anonymousreply 92July 19, 2020 2:35 PM

Seems like as long as they get it together in their 50s, people seem to be able to live a long life. Her sobriety let her live a pretty long life.

Frank Langella talks about how she hit on him in her 80s. Said she seemed lonely and needy for male attention even then.

by Anonymousreply 93July 19, 2020 2:40 PM

She had fabulous boobage

by Anonymousreply 94July 19, 2020 2:42 PM

Uh, Elizabeth Taylor passed on aged 79. If she ever "hit" on Frank Langella, then perhaps it was during the 80s while she was in her 50s. I caution you to take anything he says with a grain of salt.

by Anonymousreply 95July 19, 2020 2:49 PM

Chronic pain made it impossible to avoid opiates entirely but she did a good job of staying steady the last decades. Her family adored her which was helpful.

Frank Langella writes about every old broad wanting to fuck him. Gurl, please.

by Anonymousreply 96July 19, 2020 2:51 PM

Langella doesn't have an 0scar lol

by Anonymousreply 97July 19, 2020 2:55 PM

I prefer how Liz looks in R81 or the two. I think she looks adorable and fun. Hepburn looks like someone I would actively avoid.

by Anonymousreply 98July 19, 2020 2:59 PM

Get glasses, Alice!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99July 19, 2020 2:59 PM

I always want to know how people drink, eat too much, smoke, and still look good. Because I wish I could.

by Anonymousreply 100July 19, 2020 3:02 PM

You still look good r100 and you drink like a fish!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101July 19, 2020 3:04 PM

Maybe Elizabeth took Milk Thistle?

by Anonymousreply 102July 19, 2020 3:05 PM

An initial planning session before opening the Betty Ford Center: "We'll need some patients..."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103July 19, 2020 3:07 PM

She would have been great in Breakfast At Tiffany's instead of Butterfield shit. And she should have done more TV in the 80s

by Anonymousreply 104July 19, 2020 3:10 PM

[quote] Kitty also interviewed someone (I know...she could've just made it up) that said Liz was forced to abort Sinatra's child.

r87, Eddie Fisher in his bio "Been There, Done That" forthrightly declares that. He also wrote that Taylor took shit off no one, EXCEPT Sinatra, whose ass she kissed even after they broke up and she aborted their embryo.

I LOVE Liz threads. She truly, accurately was as Kitty Kelley described her "The Last Star".

I've really never, however, got the straight, credible scoop on her and Debbie Reynolds letting bygones be bygones and whether they made-up, even though they both were cast in the "Old Broads" movie. Maybe they never were friends, even when Liz was married to Mike Todd and Reynolds to Fisher.

Speaking of Mike Todd, according to Burton, he wasn't the love of Taylor's life, Todd was.

by Anonymousreply 105July 19, 2020 3:11 PM

R105: In "Wishful Drinking," Carrie Fisher said her mother washed Liz's hair the night before her wedding to Mike Todd.

After Liz ran off with Eddie Fisher, Debbie told Carrie she should have used Nair.

Mike Todd may indeed have been the love of her life. He was the only husband (out of seven) she didn't divorce.

by Anonymousreply 106July 19, 2020 3:16 PM

Kitty Kelly's books are full of irritating errors and falsehoods.

Elizabeth like most big stars of the time had rejuvenating injections/treatments at La Prairie. Dietrich swore by them

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107July 19, 2020 3:19 PM

If you have access to TubiTV, which is a free streaming service (for those who don't know), the Reelz tv show "Autopsy" is free to stream with three seasons. Elizabeth Taylor is the subject of one episode - I think in the third season. It's very interesting for those who might care to view it.

by Anonymousreply 108July 19, 2020 3:19 PM

She should have been cast as Bonnie Blue in Gone With The Wind

by Anonymousreply 109July 19, 2020 3:26 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110July 19, 2020 3:27 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111July 19, 2020 3:27 PM

Slavic and olive skinned women don't always show their health issues on their face. It's the last thing to go for them. For Anglo women, the face goes before the legs.

by Anonymousreply 112July 19, 2020 3:56 PM

Well first of all her drinking wrecked her beauty and when she stopped and lost weight she got beautiful again so I’m not sure what you’re talking about. Like all people for a while her youth and great beauty prevailed, until it didn’t (in her 40s).

by Anonymousreply 113July 19, 2020 4:01 PM

Elizabeth Taylor was: English, with one eighth Swiss-German, some Scots-Irish/Northern Irish and French, more distant Dutch, Welsh, and Danish. She was a Jewish convert.

by Anonymousreply 114July 19, 2020 4:02 PM

Her life is a tribute to drugs, sex, pills, over-eating and smokes as she lived longer than the USA female life expectancy at the time - and now.

by Anonymousreply 115July 19, 2020 4:34 PM

We never saw her drunk

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116July 19, 2020 4:38 PM

Is it true that when she wore a yellow dress, 30 schoolchildren would try to board her?

by Anonymousreply 117July 19, 2020 4:56 PM

Party animal!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118July 19, 2020 5:00 PM

Genetics carried her for a while as well as surgical enhancements. But then she hit the wall with the pills and whatever else she was on when she blew up. Still a lovely woman. Some alcoholic women luck out and others become like Laura Flynn Boyle.

by Anonymousreply 119July 19, 2020 5:05 PM

Her father was also a drinker, and died at 71. The perpetual opioid abuse explains the particularly nasty case(s) of hemorrhoids. What a Dame, though, right?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120July 19, 2020 5:19 PM

R105, you're correct about Mike Todd. It would've been a completely different life for Liz if he had lived. Of course, she could've also been on the plane that crashed with him...IIRC, she was sick and he told her not to go with him to NYC or wherever he was flying.

I believe it's in Debbie Reynolds' book about Mike and Liz's epic, hair-pulling fights that would break out at their (her and Eddie's) house during dinner, after Mike and Liz were drowning in drinks. Debbie tried to break them up once because she was afraid Mike was hurting Liz, and Liz just started laughing at Debbie and told her the fighting was their foreplay. I'm not sure how great of friends they were besides their husbands being friends, but I think they bonded over the years and decided to let bygones be bygones. Something makes me think they made up on the QEII when they realized both were aboard for the (relatively) long journey. Another sign of getting old...I know I read something somewhere, but I can't remember where, and I don't recall the whole story! Eddie's book is entertaining as well. Many people have accused him of exaggerating, but I don't think he would've had much reason to once he published the book. Another good one is 'Furious Love' about Liz and Dick's romance over the years.

by Anonymousreply 121July 19, 2020 5:20 PM

I saw Elizabeth in rural northern Virginia in the late 1970s when she was campaigning for John Warner. She looked great, not slender but not obese. She worked really hard for him, travelled all over the state. But then after he was elected she grew bored because he was actually a hardworking Senator, not a dilettante.

by Anonymousreply 122July 19, 2020 5:28 PM

From what I gather from those who posted here who saw Reynolds stage show, decades after the "scandal", Reynolds still used it in her show.

Someone posted that Taylor knew Reynolds still talked about her in her show and Taylor didn't take offense at all, understanding that all was fair in love, scandal and show business.

by Anonymousreply 123July 19, 2020 5:31 PM

Gurl, please. Elizabeth would have divorced Todd as well

In his diaries Burton comments a number of times about his concern that Liza Todd might be a dwarf. He also calls Taylor short and fat. Unfuckable. He didn't hold back.

by Anonymousreply 124July 19, 2020 5:33 PM

I saw one of Debbie Reynolds' stage shows, back in the day. She trashed Elizabeth and everyone else in the world, including a few of the audience members. She was coarse and common and vulgar in each of her barbs and delivered them all as if she was Miss Goody Two Shoes whose shit did not stink. Ever.

I never thought Eddie Fisher would stay with her, anyway. Liz or no Liz. She was a five star cunt. As her daughter pointed out, time and again. Liz was the much finer person.

by Anonymousreply 125July 19, 2020 5:37 PM

Who stole Mike's body? Wouldn't it gace been destroyed in the crash?

by Anonymousreply 126July 19, 2020 5:37 PM

Debbie Reynolds was nowhere near a big star, the affair made her more famous.

by Anonymousreply 127July 19, 2020 5:38 PM

A friend and I attended Debbie Reynold's (allegedly) last show ever, here in Las Vegas. I believe this was the fall of 2013, but it could've been 2014. Anyway, her son Todd (named after Mike Todd) ran the lights, and Carrie and her daughter Billie came out from time to time to support Debbie and sing (Billie can actually sing pretty well). I'm sure there were a few Liz jokes, but I mainly just remember Debbie being very frail. All the adverts in the casino proclaimed, "She'll sing her hit 'Tammy'!" and--I kid you not--Debbie spoke-sang about 10 seconds of "Tammy" and that was all she could muster. At the very end, the Girl Scouts presented her with a plaque. She may have done a few more private or more intimate performances before she passed away, but this one was advertised as her "last show ever." I was also shocked how frail she was in that HBO doc of Debbie and Carrie.

by Anonymousreply 128July 19, 2020 6:08 PM

"I mainly just remember Debbie being very frail" in 2013/2014 and "I was also shocked how frail she was in that HBO doc of Debbie and Carrie" which first aired in May, 2016.

R128, and yet, on December 28, 2016, she drove herself to Todd's house to make funeral arrangements for Carrie and stroked out there, dying at Cedars-Sinai that afternoon.

Debbie Reynolds must have been one tough old bird. And/or a holy terror to other drivers on the streets of Beverly Hills.

by Anonymousreply 129July 19, 2020 6:28 PM

R129, that doc actually got bumped up to January 2017 from a scheduled spring release on HBO. I know, because I watched it in a chalet at Sundance and we all cried. She definitely shouldn't have been driving alone, physically or emotionally, after Carrie's death.

by Anonymousreply 130July 19, 2020 6:35 PM

Love the double finger pic R120!

by Anonymousreply 131July 19, 2020 6:55 PM

I love her for this alone!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132July 19, 2020 7:40 PM

Do people really think she would have been dubbed the most beautiful woman in the world nowadays? I don’t think so. The studios she was contracted to tried to emphasize this and the multiple marriages and jewels, the purple eyes (which were actually blue) were a way to sell it. Look at the film and photos these days, they are extremely high def no one looks like they did in those beautiful old photos and film in real life it accentuates the mystery, beauty and allure all that more not to mention her colouring was perfect for it. Am I the only one that realizes this??

by Anonymousreply 133July 19, 2020 8:26 PM

R133 beauty is not what Taylor aspired to when she came to the defense of gay men and AIDS. Don’t shit on a legend because your life is meaningless.

by Anonymousreply 134July 19, 2020 8:58 PM

Look good? She's got more chins than a Chinese phone book.

She's so big she could moon Europe when she bends over.

by Anonymousreply 135July 19, 2020 9:09 PM

100's of hospitalizations. Millions of pills. Oceans of booze. Miles of cock. Bitch made it to SEVENTY FUCKING NINE.

We should all be so lucky.

by Anonymousreply 136July 19, 2020 10:36 PM

Someone needs to explain this. Elizabeth went in slippers because she "forgot" her shoes. Hmmm.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137July 19, 2020 11:58 PM

R133, one of the directors she worked with made the astonishing claim that ET was not photogenic! I repeat that he was adamant that ET was NOT photogenic. He said that photos and film simply could not do her justice and that she was far, far more beautiful in person to the naked eye. "You just couldn't believe that someone could be that beautiful!"

by Anonymousreply 138July 20, 2020 1:29 AM

I don’t think Liz and Debbie were ever that close. They were both tough, steely women so I think a grudging respect formed over the years, but Liz - at least according to the biographies I’ve read - was way more of a guy’s gal. Women either didn’t like her or they feared her.

by Anonymousreply 139July 20, 2020 4:49 AM

Not everyone responds the same way. Believe it or not, I was at my skinniest and I mean rail thin, back when I was a heavy drinker. And my skin looked clearer than it does now . Go figure.

by Anonymousreply 140July 20, 2020 5:17 AM

Clearly you haven’t let her go yet, OP. Are you 76?

OP needs to google images of how long it takes a body to decompose, THEN post about has-beens like they’re still alive.

by Anonymousreply 141July 20, 2020 7:19 AM

And those years with Burton were also spent ruining her skin with too much sun. It ruined her skin.

by Anonymousreply 142July 20, 2020 8:42 AM

I'd just like to point out something which is obvious in this thread and all other threads on the DL. These assholes who go from thread to thread with their snark, name-calling, and blatant disrespect for the opinions of others. No one gives a shit what you have to say. I'm sure that most regard you as nothing more than a mere fly buzzing about and being tolerated until you're not tolerated any more. It's obvious that you're one very miserable individuals. That will be all.

by Anonymousreply 143July 20, 2020 11:01 AM

[quote]No one gives a shit what you have to say.

They know that, R143. They don't like it and they will never stop fighting back. But they know it.

by Anonymousreply 144July 20, 2020 1:27 PM

ET in the 50s was stunning. Not as sexy as Marilyn - but more beautiful. Definitely deserved most beautiful woman status. By the 60s, she was plump because she was so short. And as Kathleen Turner is described, she is “a woman of appetites”

by Anonymousreply 145July 20, 2020 2:04 PM

Age 29 - close up of the eyes in natural day light. Stunningly beautiful

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146July 20, 2020 3:02 PM

Marilyn Monroe looked really good despite drugs and alcohol. I don’t think she smoked or sat in the sun, which may have helped.

by Anonymousreply 147July 20, 2020 3:06 PM

Marilyn Monroe in 1955 at age 29

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148July 20, 2020 3:20 PM

I agree with the poster upthread who said there's no way Elizabeth Taylor would have stayed married to Mike Todd. Her marriage to him would have run its course like all of her other marriages. There was an intrinsic restlessness about her that wouldn't allow her to grow old or stay faithful. She thrived on romantic intrigue and loved being in love. She was like a beautiful alley cat.

by Anonymousreply 149July 20, 2020 4:48 PM

[R149] Grow old with one man, that is. She got old!

by Anonymousreply 150July 20, 2020 4:49 PM

Marilyn smoked socially, maybe not very often. I don't think she was a sun worshipper. She benefitted from weight loss following gall bladder surgery in 1961 and looked terrific when done up for the last part of her life but perhaps a bit gaunt in certain pics. It's a pity she and Liz didn't get along but they likely saw each other as competition, even though they were totally different characters.

by Anonymousreply 151July 20, 2020 5:11 PM

[R151] Liz was also 6 years younger than Marilyn and Marilyn certainly resented the money Liz got for CLEOPATRA from her own home studio.

by Anonymousreply 152July 20, 2020 5:13 PM

Marilyn allegedly said of her nude swim that the pics would knock Liz off the front covers. They certainly did!

by Anonymousreply 153July 20, 2020 5:40 PM

If Monroe and Liz were 25 today I wonder if they would be as big as they were in their time. They are both extraordinarily beautiful women, and they defined their era, but tastes do shift; and the mechanisms of fame is so different now.

It would be interesting to see them in their prime but styled like a contemporary young woman. I’m not saying that someone like Kim K is more beautiful, not by a long shot, but unfortunately the zeitgeist went more in that direction over the last decade.

by Anonymousreply 154July 20, 2020 5:40 PM

According to Peter Lawford and others Monroe seduced Elizabeth - more than once. This source is the NE, but the HuffPost and other news agencies published the same.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155July 20, 2020 5:58 PM

Please, I can barely believe MM dined on Crawford's pussy when she was a starlet.

by Anonymousreply 156July 20, 2020 6:25 PM

Ava Gardner at 29

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157July 20, 2020 6:29 PM

29 is a beautiful age for women. 39 for men IMO but I've always liked daddies.

by Anonymousreply 158July 20, 2020 6:33 PM

You like Daddies?

I'm 39.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159July 20, 2020 6:37 PM

You urgently need psychiatric help, OP, if being fat, bloated and burned out is good for you.

by Anonymousreply 160July 20, 2020 6:38 PM

Why didn't La Liz get offered Breakfast At Tiffany's? She was top of the Hollywood tree in the late 50s and clearly wasn't against playing a call girl. Would have been a much better win than Butterfield-Shit

by Anonymousreply 161July 20, 2020 6:52 PM

She was exquisite in ELEPHANT WALK and THE LAST TIME I SAW PARIS.

by Anonymousreply 162July 20, 2020 7:05 PM

[R161] Pure speculation but I don't think Liz could have pulled off the character's "effervescent" qualities. Her presence was too dark, knowing and sarcastic.

by Anonymousreply 163July 20, 2020 7:07 PM

She was at her peak in the mid-1950s. RHAPSODY is a ridiculous soap opera. But, GAH! Taylor is exquisite in every scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164July 20, 2020 7:11 PM

Bump for Liz

by Anonymousreply 165July 21, 2020 7:57 PM

I own a costume brooch of hers that she allegedly auctioned off in one of the early AIDS fundraisers. No provenance, just a story from the person I bought it from. I like to think it was hers, but now realize it's probably not.

by Anonymousreply 166July 21, 2020 8:13 PM

With Marilyn and Elizabeth, there was another competing sex bomb of equal stature circa 1960. Has everyone forgot, or not know about SOPHIA LOREN? And, yes, she appeared in American as well as Italian films.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167July 21, 2020 8:15 PM

"She had some kind of genetic disorder that caused her to have lots of health problems. One of the symptoms of the disorder is double rows of eyelashes. When she was cast in a film at age 12 the director got upset because her dark, extra thick eyelashes looked too provocative for a child and he thought she was wearing false ones. I wonder if her genetic issue was also the reason she had those astonishing violet colored eyes? I've never seen any photos of another human being with such vibrant purple colored irises."

I don't think she had any "genetic disorder." She must have had pretty good genes, to be born with looks like that. She was prone to illnesses and accidents her whole life, but that was just bad luck. I don't think genes had anything to do with her alcoholism and drug addictions, either. She was a world famous celebrity and they like live it up. I think that's how her drinking started. As for the drugs, well, she was sick and had accidents all the time and was given plenty of painkillers and that's how I think she got hooked on them. But I don't think she anything like a genetic disorder.

Her looks fluctuated throughout her life. At times due to overeating and drinking and drugging she looked fat, bloated, haggard, dissipated. In her final years she still tried to still be glamorous and had the jet black teased and styled hair (or a wig like that) and heavy makeup and dripped with obscenely expensive baubles. But the years of excess took their toll. She looked like an aging hag.

She DID have a condition called hirsutism. In other words, she was hairy. Her bosom buddy Montgomery Clift was the same way. A biographer of Clift that that he and Liz both had "oddly hirsute bodies."

by Anonymousreply 168July 21, 2020 8:16 PM

I guess this is a good place to park this vid - Finally found a vid showcasing some of the famous jewels in high def - the emeralds of straight out of revolutionary Russia having belonged to a Grand Duchess of some renown - take THAT Queen Mary!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169July 21, 2020 9:44 PM

She didn't smoke? Maybe facelifts?

by Anonymousreply 170July 21, 2020 9:51 PM

She smoked two packs a day for 50 plus years, and that's what got her in the end. CHF/COPD

by Anonymousreply 171July 21, 2020 10:00 PM

Here's the Oprah interview in it's entirety. I've never seen it before.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172July 21, 2020 10:45 PM

Maybe facelifts? HA HA HA HA!!!

by Anonymousreply 173July 22, 2020 1:11 AM

Taylor is interesting and I wanted to hear replies as the Oprah interview reminds me at r172.

Otoh, while I adore both Streisand and Sophia Loren, ZZZZZZzzzzzz...

I eagerly tuned into Oprah's first interview of Streisand, and within 10 minutes, when I learned that Streisand's interior colors of her walls and furniture must match the landscaping and flowers outside her windows...the only thing eager on me was my eyelids wanting to drop over my eyes.

Same with Loren when Larry King interviewed her. She was still a breathtakingly gorgeous woman in her early 60s, but dull, dull, dull.

by Anonymousreply 174July 22, 2020 2:21 AM

Dame Liz on Whoopi's ill-fated talk show...it was actually good, and was a good interview. Whoopi chopped it up for this flashback; I've seen the whole interview on YouTube not long ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175July 22, 2020 2:26 AM

R174, being a "good interview" had nothing to do with this discussion - start another thread.

by Anonymousreply 176July 22, 2020 1:41 PM

As someone said short, dumpy, etc etc. All that, but you left out, stunningly beautiful. Here's an older Liz, how many older women have a face like that?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177July 23, 2020 1:28 PM

R177, that was after she came out of rehab?

by Anonymousreply 178July 23, 2020 4:47 PM

R178, yes. That shot was from her first perfume campaign for Passion in 1987, about three years after her first Betty Ford stint. I read somewhere she had to be lowered into the pool for this and other shots, as her back was that bad. There's some other images on Pinterest from the Passion campaign.

by Anonymousreply 179July 23, 2020 11:22 PM

I met her at Ronald Reagan's first Inaugural Ball. It was at the Smithsonian Air Museum. There were no tables, just lots of people standing around, surrounded by all the Air and Spaceplane, capsules, etc. This Ball was for supporters from the states of Virginia, and Texas and one state. Everyone just stood and waited for the President and First Lady to make an appearance and dance one dance.

I've told this story here before. I guess it's okay to tell it again?

The entertainment - on a small built stage was a very drunk Robert Goulet. He was trying to sing but it was just sad. He couldn't remember lyrics, he kept trying to sing the same song. His tux was destroyed from some liquid. He basically had no idea where he was. I was standing alone as my husband was in the very long buy a drink line.

Into the Ball walks Elizabeth Taylor with her then husband Senator John Warner. The crowd hushes and stares. There is nowhere for them to go. Basically, the crowd forms a circle around them and continues to stare at them - just standing there. Very uncomfortable, they look very unhappy to be there. She smiles and says to him - shall we dance? He turns to her and snaps - NO! And he walks off.

She is furious, absolutely furious. And still, people stared. So I walk over to her. Yes, I did. I say something to her and she told me how mad she was. And she was - she really wasn't calming down. So I told her my husband had left for the drink line a half-hour - ago and I hadn't seen him since. She laughed. And then we had a nice talk. I thought I was bothering her so I started to say goodbye and she asked me to stay with her. So I did.

But then her attention turned to Robert Goulet. She was aghast that he was so drunk on stage. She said something to me about someone needed to get him off stage that it wasn't right. She really felt bad for him. She was looking around for someone to speak to about it - when John Warner returned from making his rounds of the room. He barked at her - let's go. And they left. They didn't stick around to see the Reagans. Very shortly after they left, Robert Goulet was taken off the stage. So I'm guessing she said something to someone on her way out. (My guess is they may have said hello to the Reagan's backstage somehow.)

Yes her eyes are incredible. Oddly, I kept noticing her lovely voice. Her skin was really damaged, lots crackles and very dry. I was surprised by it. But what a woman! She suffered no fools.

That's all I remember right now. This was a long time ago.

by Anonymousreply 180July 24, 2020 1:05 AM

I don't believe the tale at R180. It sounds very made up.

by Anonymousreply 181July 24, 2020 1:45 AM

[R181] I'm not sure I believe it, either, but it does have a Jacqueline Susann flair, doesn't it? I also read the windy "Judy Casket Handles" story too - one has to have free time for that. What a boring and windy and suspect tale - so obviously and cynically "composed" for a prospective magazine article. It's ridiculously corny - and quite cynical.

by Anonymousreply 182July 24, 2020 2:12 AM

This is R180's third or fourth time telling that tale and she has told it the same each time. I tend to believe it.

by Anonymousreply 183July 24, 2020 2:17 AM

It doesn't really matter if you don't believe it or not. It happened. But to me, R182 you are the one who sounds ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 184July 24, 2020 2:20 AM

[R184] Wait - you wrote "Judy Casket Handles" too?

by Anonymousreply 185July 24, 2020 2:25 AM

[R180] Don't tell me I'm wrong in mischaracterizing your writing. It's amusing but in a very Kitty Kelly/Dominick Dunne style. You think in tabloid terms.

by Anonymousreply 186July 24, 2020 2:29 AM

I enjoyed R180's story. But anyone who says "Her skin was really damaged, lots crackles and very dry," is a gay 20-something ignoramus worried about turning 30. Not old enough to have been there.

by Anonymousreply 187July 24, 2020 12:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!