Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Rooney Mara: Is "CAROL" Finally Her Breakthrough Moment, Homosexual Film Fans?

Will fair Miss Mara finally fulfill the early promise she displayed onscreen so tantalizingly in "THE SOCIAL NETWORK" and "THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO"?

At age 30, Rooney is garnering great acclaim for her work in "CAROL." She has a number of films scheduled for release next year, including one from master auteur Terence Malick; however, she has yet to click with the public in a meaningful way. It may be her aristocratic hauteur, her rather highbrow projects, or her reserved quietude.

Can Rooney break through? Will an Oscar nom be forthcoming? Should she date a pop star and wear less couture to appear more "user-friendly" to the public?

Thoughts?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 491February 20, 2018 10:19 PM

IT's been getting raves and awards! I can't wait to see it.

by Anonymousreply 1November 25, 2015 3:04 PM

Promise in The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo? That performance seemed like she was auditioning for The Walking Dead. Not for a lead mind you but for one of the zombie extras.

by Anonymousreply 2November 25, 2015 3:05 PM

Impish--in bangs!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 25, 2015 3:17 PM

Who does she play? An inflatable sex doll? If so, I can totally buy it.

by Anonymousreply 4November 25, 2015 3:18 PM

she was born a billionaire, and is probably autistic: a deadly combination if you want to "engage" the general public (not that she cares, tho)

by Anonymousreply 5November 25, 2015 3:27 PM

Why are they making so many lesbian movies all of a sudden? There's Carol, Freeheld and Almost Adults. Gay movies (as in focusing on gay men) always struggle to get funding. Why do lesbian movies get the greenlight more often than gay movies? It's the same on tv too, there's hardly any gay male characters on tv, even if there are they're always barely there and/or stereotypical and/or celibate. Lesbian characters on tv get to kiss and have sex. I know there's a few exceptions, yet that's just it.. it's exceptions. Lesbians always get to make out and have sex on tv, gay men don't.

by Anonymousreply 6November 25, 2015 3:34 PM

She's off putting and borderline annoying in everything I've seen her in. Humorless and stiff. Typical spoiled rich girl not above sucking up to Fincher to get a role,

by Anonymousreply 7November 25, 2015 3:41 PM

[quote]she was born a billionaire, and is probably autistic:

She has always seemed autistic. Something about her reminds me of Frances McDormand.

by Anonymousreply 8November 25, 2015 3:41 PM

R6 that's easy. Because straight men like fantasizing about lesbians as long as they're good looking. Don't think there's any sex shown in this though so it will probably make zero dollars outside of NYC and LA.

by Anonymousreply 9November 25, 2015 3:44 PM

She was great in it, and completely different than in any other part I've seen her do. But what got me was - late in the film, with the bangs and her hair pulled back on the sides, she looked exactly like Audrey Hepburn in Roman Holiday! My friend sitting next to me, at the end of the movie, said that to me when I was thinking the exact same thing.

by Anonymousreply 10November 25, 2015 3:46 PM

That's because there's much more drama in lesbian relationships: tears, stalking, restraining orders, boiled pets...

by Anonymousreply 11November 25, 2015 3:47 PM

Shy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12November 25, 2015 3:49 PM

"Should she date a pop star and wear less couture to appear more 'user-friendly' to the public?"

OP, this was an astonishingly patronizing thing to say. No, we don't like her because she's a cold, entitled, self-important bitch. Remember infamous quote about how annoyed she was that she landed the lead in the Nightmare on Elm Street remake when there's 90% unemployment in her field and she's already richer than God? Typical 1% asshole.

by Anonymousreply 13November 25, 2015 4:04 PM

"she's a cold, entitled, self-important bitch."

So are many actresses in Hollywood (Kidman, Blanchett, Streep, Close, the list goes on). And actors too.

I don't imagine CAROL would be a breakthrough for anyone since it's not likely that it will be a big boxoffice hit. It will do well in large cities, but that's about it, like Haynes' FAR FROM HEAVEN.

by Anonymousreply 14November 25, 2015 4:22 PM

She's just so goddamned unattractive and creepy.

by Anonymousreply 15November 25, 2015 4:51 PM

Despite the breathless hype, Carol was inert and boring. It does not live up to the polish and standards of the mainstream films it clearly wants to be. Rooney Mara did her best with an underwritten role, but it will not put her over the top.

by Anonymousreply 16November 25, 2015 5:03 PM

[quote]She's just so goddamned unattractive and creepy.

I wonder if she is pals with Aubrey Plaza.

by Anonymousreply 17November 25, 2015 5:12 PM

Blonde!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 26, 2015 12:14 AM

If the Academy nominates Mara for Best Supporting Actress, she'll win. I can't see anyone in that anemic field beating her; Kate Winslet for "Steve Jobs" is probably her strongest competition right now, and there's almost no chance Winslet will win a second Oscar for a film that flopped so badly. All she needs to do is convince Oscar voters that she's not a lead.

The thing to remember about Mara is that the Academy liked her so much that they selected her for membership after she did "The Social Network," even though it was her first major role and she wasn't even Oscar-nominated for it. She has almost no appeal to the general public, but Hollywood elites really like her. That means she can make a solid career doing highbrow films until she's old enough to use her natural iciness to play haughty villains in big-budget movies. It's easy to imagine a 45-year old Rooney Mara giving withering glares to some 23-year old Jennifer Lawrence clone.

by Anonymousreply 19November 26, 2015 12:29 AM

I think she's very overrated as an actress.

But nepotism always seems to help an actress' career trajectory to eventually garner a Best Supporting Actress Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 20November 26, 2015 12:44 AM

R19, her first major role was playing Nancy.

by Anonymousreply 21November 26, 2015 12:46 AM

She's trying to channel Kristin Scott Thomas. She wishes.

by Anonymousreply 22November 26, 2015 1:08 AM

She is no Kristin Scott Thomas but she really does scrub up well in the last third of Carol.

by Anonymousreply 23December 3, 2015 5:52 PM

If she gets an Oscar nomination it will be for lead actress.

by Anonymousreply 24December 3, 2015 5:55 PM

Carol is a really good film and I really want Todd Haynes to finally win director.

by Anonymousreply 25December 3, 2015 5:56 PM

If Carol goes straight again she should fall into bed with Steve Jobs. They are self-absorbed, make faces at the camera, and no one wants to tell them they're boring.

by Anonymousreply 26December 3, 2015 7:49 PM

Rooney Mara seems less bitchier version of Goop.

by Anonymousreply 27December 3, 2015 8:03 PM

[quit] If she gets an Oscar nomination it will be for lead actress.

Actually, it will be for leadEN actress

by Anonymousreply 28December 3, 2015 8:06 PM

Is she on the spectrum? She has to be. In Cannes during an interview a journalist put a very long and boring question to Mara re what its like to make love to Cate B. A dead-eyed Mara replied slowly "Cate's soft."

Is this an act meant to seem edgy and provocative? Or is she tard?

by Anonymousreply 29December 3, 2015 8:21 PM

I think she's a little special, r29.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30December 3, 2015 8:25 PM

I wish they had cast someone more attractive opposite Cate Blanchett, not this mousey creature.

by Anonymousreply 31December 3, 2015 8:27 PM

I predict Mara's Oscar nom for lead purely because of her win at Cannes. Blanchet shouldn't take offense because Mara does in fact have the lead role in the film - but Blanchet will. Lots of broken furniture kind of offense.

by Anonymousreply 32December 3, 2015 8:38 PM

They both got Golden Globe nominations.

by Anonymousreply 33December 13, 2015 8:21 PM

She is quite ugly. It always shocked me that they would put somebody who looks like that in movies.

by Anonymousreply 34December 13, 2015 8:25 PM

She gives free football tickets away to higher ups. That's why they love her.

by Anonymousreply 35December 13, 2015 8:35 PM

[quote] is this an act meant to seem edgy and provocative? Or is she tard?

Have you ever seen an interview with Keane Reeves?

by Anonymousreply 36December 13, 2015 8:36 PM

R36 Lol

by Anonymousreply 37December 14, 2015 12:41 AM

I believe Rooney will win something around Oscar time for Carol. This might be her real breakthrough.

by Anonymousreply 38December 25, 2015 9:56 AM

Rooney Mara is lovely in the movie. First time she's really made an impression on me. (I haven't seen GWTDT).

Or maybe it is just the cute hats.

by Anonymousreply 39December 26, 2015 5:40 PM

Bump!

by Anonymousreply 40December 30, 2015 11:57 AM

She's very petite.

by Anonymousreply 41December 31, 2015 3:55 AM

I agree with you, r41.

by Anonymousreply 42December 31, 2015 10:31 PM

This film stunk out loud. Not unlike pussy.

by Anonymousreply 43December 31, 2015 10:34 PM

She's very ordinary looking. I shouldn't be surprised I guess, most wealthy people marry for wealth, not looks. Plain face and she should have had her tongue clipped so she wouldn't look and sound like she always sucking on it. The movie was fine, a little slow and a little boring but not bad. I didn't see anything in the movie that would earn her an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 44December 31, 2015 10:46 PM

Why do you think that, r44?

by Anonymousreply 45December 31, 2015 10:51 PM

Is "Carol" as limp as "Mildred Pierce?"

by Anonymousreply 46December 31, 2015 10:53 PM

I like her, she's like Huppert lite - doesn't beg to be liked, doesn't smile, giggle, toss her hair ... not a bad actress either. I get that she's a trust fund actress but that doesn't mean she couldn't be talented. Sigourney Weaver come from a privileged and very well connected background. Michael Douglas, Jeff & Beau Bridges, Robert Downey Jr. .... you know the list ...

by Anonymousreply 47December 31, 2015 10:56 PM

Rooney would forgo it all to keep her integrity.

by Anonymousreply 48December 31, 2015 11:04 PM

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 49January 7, 2016 6:16 PM

Cate is getting all the attention for this movie.

by Anonymousreply 50January 8, 2016 2:24 AM

I agree, r50.

by Anonymousreply 51January 8, 2016 10:56 AM

She looks like the actress Maggie McNamara to me,r10.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52January 8, 2016 12:25 PM

How does anyone find this actress talented or attractive? Just ugh...

by Anonymousreply 53January 8, 2016 1:25 PM

I thought she killed it in the "Dragon Tattoo" movie!

by Anonymousreply 54January 8, 2016 2:23 PM

Even if Rooney Mara doesn't do another film. "Carol" is her defining moment on screen. I believe in five to ten years from now, she will retire from acting.

by Anonymousreply 55January 8, 2016 4:35 PM

I saw it last night and I enjoyed it. It was beautifully shot and I really felt for the Therese character. Mara did well playing the loneliness of the character early in the film.

by Anonymousreply 56January 8, 2016 5:17 PM

[quote]I like her, she's like Huppert lite - doesn't beg to be liked, doesn't smile, giggle, toss her hair ... not a bad actress either. I get that she's a trust fund actress but that doesn't mean she couldn't be talented. Sigourney Weaver come from a privileged and very well connected background. Michael Douglas, Jeff & Beau Bridges, Robert Downey Jr. .... you know the list ..

My connected background hasn't helped me much. The TNT show I'm in is ending soon. I wish I could be like RDJ.

by Anonymousreply 57January 8, 2016 5:21 PM

I don't understand why so many people found Therese to be annoying and unlikable.

by Anonymousreply 58January 9, 2016 1:27 AM

R11 That sounds more like Fatal Attraction type shit. Which to my knowledge is an iconic heterosexual movie.

by Anonymousreply 59January 9, 2016 12:19 PM

I thought Carol to be the unlikable one. Bit of an asshole tbh. Therese was suitably love struck. I just didn't think Carol deserved the devotion.

by Anonymousreply 60January 9, 2016 12:21 PM

R43 And what pussy have you been close to know that it stinks, Princess?? Yo mama??

by Anonymousreply 61January 9, 2016 12:23 PM

Why did you think Carol was an asshole?

by Anonymousreply 62January 9, 2016 1:15 PM

Zero charisma.

by Anonymousreply 63January 9, 2016 4:55 PM

The higher ups in the NFL knows that she's not a famewhore like Paris Hilton.

by Anonymousreply 64January 9, 2016 6:21 PM

Bump...

by Anonymousreply 65January 10, 2016 4:26 PM

She looked beautiful at the Golden Globes.

by Anonymousreply 66January 11, 2016 6:47 AM

I think she's beautiful and a great actress. I like that she doesn't conform to Hollywood standards for the most part. She was icy today at the GG and I loved it.

by Anonymousreply 67January 11, 2016 7:20 AM

Cate is crazy if she didn't go gay for her.

by Anonymousreply 68January 11, 2016 7:22 AM

Replies like R67 make me roll my eyes.

Why do people say idiotic shit like that? You admire her for being cold and unfriendly? You're admiring her, in effect, for being born rich and privileged, something she did fuck all nothing to earn. Again, to spell out the obvious for Rooneys gooey fans, the reason she can do that and most working actors don't is because she's a one percenter and they're not. If her acting career doesn't pan out she'll always be fine. And being a blue blood heiress she's had doors opened for her anyway solely for that reason.

Someone like Hilary Swank or Amy Adams who came from nothing has to at least try to project much more warmth and approachability, otherwise they'd never have landed a single acting job in their life.

Being aloof and icy doesn't make Mara more "real" or "authentic" than anyone else in showbiz. It just means trust fund heirs can always get away with things ordinary people can't. What a monumentally stupid, idiotic reason to "love" someone.

by Anonymousreply 69January 11, 2016 11:19 AM

I wonder what her pussy looks like.

by Anonymousreply 70January 11, 2016 1:15 PM

R69 keep rolling your eyes bacuse I'm not changing how I feel about it after your weak argument.

by Anonymousreply 71January 11, 2016 4:09 PM

She was very good in the Dragon Tattoo movie, and also Side Effects. She was ok in Carol.

by Anonymousreply 72January 11, 2016 4:16 PM

But of course, R71, it goes without saying that you can't explain why my argument is weak. because it isn't actually weak.

It's like worshipping Trump, who like Mara was born with an enormous silver spoon, for being blunt and belligerent, and thinking that's a reflection of him being stronger than the rest of the human race. In reality, anyone who didn't have the pure luck of being born immensely rich like Trump would be committing social suicide if they conducted themselves that way.

You admire Rooney Mara for utterly stupid, inane reasons. Period.

by Anonymousreply 73January 11, 2016 5:03 PM

And by the way, moron, she's not a "great actress" by any stretch of the imagination. She projects no warmth and little charisma, and she needs a great director to help her build a character otherwise she simply can't do it.

The only reason she seems "great" is because she s competing almost entirely with a talent pool also drawn mainly from the products of nepotism and cronyism. Very few ordinary people can break into showbiz anymore. All the stars are rich, pampered one percenters like Taylor Swift or they're second generation Hollywod insiders like Jake Gyllenhaal, Gwyneth, or Colin Hanks. Mara may be more talented than many of her fellow cronyism/nepotism beneficiaries (like Armie Hammer), but no one would likely look at her twice if great actors without a silver spoon background were actually given a proper shot as they used to be: most of the great stars of yesteryear came from modest backgrounds. Even Jennifer Lawrence comes from money, as almost every new star does now. It's only compared to a talent of pool of absolute shit that Mara looks good in contrast.

by Anonymousreply 74January 11, 2016 5:19 PM

I preferred the original.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75January 11, 2016 6:44 PM

R74 oh dear! Do you feel better now that you got that out of your system? I hope you do.

by Anonymousreply 76January 11, 2016 7:35 PM

At least she didn't present hole like J-Law.

by Anonymousreply 77January 11, 2016 8:12 PM

That is so true, r77.

by Anonymousreply 78January 13, 2016 6:06 PM

I thought she would get a Best Actress nom.

by Anonymousreply 79January 15, 2016 12:34 AM

I don't think she has it in her to get regular people to like her.

by Anonymousreply 80January 15, 2016 12:42 AM

I happen to agree with you, r80. Rooney sounds like she's stuck up. My two cents.

by Anonymousreply 81January 17, 2016 10:23 AM

She was rather impressive in Aint Them Bodies Saints.

Her performance in Carol was solid but I think she was miscast. Just not believable a woman like Carol would fall so hard or risk so much for basically a child woman.

by Anonymousreply 82January 17, 2016 12:55 PM

CAROL is a major bore, and to me, a major disappointment. I adore FAR FEOM HEAVEN and CAROL has none of what makes that film great. In fact, Carol herself was a bore. Beyond the glamrous facade and hair tossing there was supposed to be a passionate soul, but there us simply a Botoxed blonde bitching about her marriage. There's nothing really that would attract Therese to her.

The problem is Cate Blanchett. A more confidently sexual woman like Kate Winslet or Marion Cottillard or Olivia Williams may have made it work.

I liked Rooney.

by Anonymousreply 83January 17, 2016 2:06 PM

At least Rooney is not dissing anyone in the business anymore. She will be thirty-one in April. Rooney has had some media training over the years.

by Anonymousreply 84January 17, 2016 2:08 PM

I don't think the movie is boring. But I had a hard time believing they would fall so hard for each other.

by Anonymousreply 85January 17, 2016 8:57 PM

Why do you think that, r83?

by Anonymousreply 86January 21, 2016 12:36 PM

Was she always ...like this? Or did this emo-goth-ghoul look only come around (and stay around) post-Fincher?

by Anonymousreply 87January 21, 2016 1:16 PM

I see Rooney Mara trying to reinvent herself into something different now. Carol is probably her breakthrough moment. Pan was a dud. It didn't do anything for her career. Carol redeems her career.

by Anonymousreply 88January 21, 2016 8:45 PM

Different how? She's still dour and ghoulish. Can't do action, comedy or typical romance. She does the same kinds of movies all the time and when she tries to do something else, it flops.

by Anonymousreply 89January 21, 2016 9:47 PM

True, r89.

If Rooney Mara were to appear in a Tyler Perry movie, it would not do well. Tyler Perry's audience would have a field day with him. Plus, it would be a different experience for her. My two cents.

by Anonymousreply 90January 21, 2016 11:00 PM

Check out this interview on Rooney Mara from Fandango.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91January 22, 2016 10:01 PM

That link looks like a virus waiting to happen, R91.

by Anonymousreply 92January 22, 2016 10:09 PM

Yeah I'm not clicking on that.

by Anonymousreply 93January 22, 2016 10:46 PM

So does Mara, R92,

by Anonymousreply 94January 22, 2016 10:54 PM

Here they are in an interview. Rooney seems so serious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95January 23, 2016 1:32 AM

Here is an interview of Rooney did by Anne Thompson.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96January 23, 2016 4:14 PM

Check out the featurette of Carol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97January 24, 2016 4:47 PM

Patricia Mara's one stan in the entire world keeping this thread alive.

by Anonymousreply 98January 24, 2016 7:26 PM

I don't think mainstream American audiences will take to Rooney. She comes off as cold, distant, superior & unlikeable.

Maybe if she were cast in something funny, light-hearted, she'd have more general appeal.

by Anonymousreply 99January 24, 2016 7:59 PM

I agree with you, r99.

by Anonymousreply 100January 24, 2016 8:42 PM

I thought Pan was her attempt at funny and light-hearted? Huge studio movie, too. FLOP.

by Anonymousreply 101January 24, 2016 10:44 PM

Does anyone on here think that the roles for Rooney Mara will dry up by the time she hits thirty-five years old?

by Anonymousreply 102January 28, 2016 1:06 PM

I do not care for her or her sister.

by Anonymousreply 103January 28, 2016 1:24 PM

Fair enough, r103.

by Anonymousreply 104January 28, 2016 1:32 PM

As long as they make movies about ghoulish, homely, depressed females, she will be able to find work.

by Anonymousreply 105January 28, 2016 1:41 PM

I would love to see Rooney do more work like light drama films. Shucks, I would love to see her do guest starring work for TV shows.

by Anonymousreply 106January 28, 2016 2:17 PM

Check out my new article on Rooney Mara.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107January 28, 2016 6:24 PM

She is a big blob of blah and meh. Inarticulate, not very intelligent, not interesting, the list goes on.

by Anonymousreply 108January 28, 2016 6:38 PM

I agree with you, r108. I hope one day she will retire from the industry along with her sister and live quietly.

by Anonymousreply 109January 28, 2016 6:50 PM

It's the stupid name "Rooney."

by Anonymousreply 110January 28, 2016 6:52 PM

Even after 'Carol', a movie i liked, i could not have the hots for Rooney Mara. I feel almost guilty that she doesn't appeal to me.

by Anonymousreply 111January 28, 2016 6:58 PM

Rooney is just unlikeable that's all. Her shy and introvert stuff is just an act. Her body language tells us otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 112January 28, 2016 7:20 PM

She was ok in it, but she is a bit insect-like.

by Anonymousreply 113January 28, 2016 7:26 PM

People on here really hate Rooney.

by Anonymousreply 114January 29, 2016 2:52 AM

Sarah wishes she was with Cate!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115January 29, 2016 2:59 AM

There's something mysterious and intriguing about her that makes me like her. She'll never be America's darling and I don't think she's aiming for that. She's not the type that appeals to the masses, and that's ok.

by Anonymousreply 116January 29, 2016 3:44 AM

I agree with you, r116.

by Anonymousreply 117January 29, 2016 9:55 AM

A lesbian film with Sarah and Cate would be really intense...

by Anonymousreply 118January 29, 2016 10:20 AM

^Nobody wants to see two old cows mating

by Anonymousreply 119January 29, 2016 10:37 AM

I prefer those two 'old' cows to ancient and forgotten Lucille Ball

by Anonymousreply 120January 29, 2016 10:40 AM

Wait...you just pissed me off. Lucille Ball is not forgotten. She is part of the golden age and i love that age. I'm just not into Lucille Ball. For some reason, i can't stand her actually. She seemed mean.

by Anonymousreply 121January 29, 2016 10:54 AM

Thank you, r121.

by Anonymousreply 122January 29, 2016 10:56 AM

I love her as an actress and i really hope she goes far.

by Anonymousreply 123January 29, 2016 3:08 PM

She is simply uninteresting. A good actress, there's a suggestion of spark behind the eyes, but ultimately there's nothing there. Basically, a more talented Natalie Portman with a better speaking voice.

And I keep wanting to call here Mara Rooney.

by Anonymousreply 124January 29, 2016 3:14 PM

That's funny, r124. Mara Rooney has a nice ring to it.

by Anonymousreply 125January 29, 2016 4:35 PM

I don't think any of us on here hates Rooney but we just know that she's not trying to be America's darling. She just wants to do her job and go home.

by Anonymousreply 126January 30, 2016 10:06 AM

Rooney Mara and Cate Blanchett did not win anything for Carol last night at the Screen Actors Guild Awards.

by Anonymousreply 127January 31, 2016 6:13 PM

R127....so?

by Anonymousreply 128January 31, 2016 6:15 PM

Just saying, r128.

by Anonymousreply 129January 31, 2016 6:26 PM

Fine, baby.

by Anonymousreply 130January 31, 2016 6:41 PM

It seems like neither of them will win anything for Carol.

by Anonymousreply 131January 31, 2016 10:09 PM

R131 they deserve the awards, imo.

by Anonymousreply 132February 1, 2016 7:47 AM

To be fair to Mara, the character of Therese in the book is without a real personality. Mara plays the character perfectly, I think.

by Anonymousreply 133February 2, 2016 2:56 AM

lmaooooo

by Anonymousreply 134February 2, 2016 4:46 AM

I am laughing along with you, r134.

by Anonymousreply 135February 2, 2016 10:23 PM

Duck egg!

by Anonymousreply 136February 2, 2016 10:28 PM

As if her race-bending turn as Tiger Lily wasn't bad enough, now she's going to be Mary Magdalene. The internet is already annoyed about it.

by Anonymousreply 137February 3, 2016 12:34 AM

Rooney Mara needs to quit acting while she's ahead. My two cents.

by Anonymousreply 138February 3, 2016 10:24 AM

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 139February 4, 2016 2:30 PM

A very leaden Maggie Cheung.

by Anonymousreply 140February 4, 2016 4:00 PM

I find absolutely nothing appealing about this Mara.

Her sister was marginally interesting in the US House of Cards, although, with her 12 year old boy body, they really should have left the "Daddy" stuff from the UK version in.

by Anonymousreply 141February 4, 2016 4:06 PM

She needs her Roman Holiday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142February 4, 2016 4:29 PM

She wishes, R142.

by Anonymousreply 143February 4, 2016 4:31 PM

What the fuck is wrong with this bitch's ears. A weird genetic abomination. She should never wear her hair up.

by Anonymousreply 144February 4, 2016 6:26 PM

Eventually I see Rooney doing guest starring work on TV shows like NCIS, Chicago P.D., and Criminal Minds in the future.

by Anonymousreply 145February 4, 2016 6:54 PM

She should pull a "Gillan Anderson" or "Elizabeth McGovern" and move to England to star in tasteful period dramas.

by Anonymousreply 146February 4, 2016 7:03 PM

Why do you say that, r146?

by Anonymousreply 147February 5, 2016 9:54 AM

Rooney Mara sometimes wished that she had lived during the 1950's had she been born at an earlier time. She loves watching old movies.

by Anonymousreply 148February 6, 2016 4:00 PM

Every Time Rooney Mara Stepped Out in Something Edgy & Modern

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149February 6, 2016 11:35 PM

She only watches old movies because Fincher does and he told her to. She's still trailing after him like a desperate puppy. At her age...

by Anonymousreply 150February 7, 2016 6:52 AM

What's the deal with her and Fincher?

by Anonymousreply 151February 7, 2016 10:58 AM

That's what I would like to know, r151.

by Anonymousreply 152February 7, 2016 11:07 AM

Both she and Fincher know what it's like to exist in Hollywood while deeply in the closet. That plus privileged upbringings is something that they share. And being overrated.

by Anonymousreply 153February 7, 2016 9:02 PM

Good point, r153.

by Anonymousreply 154February 7, 2016 9:20 PM

Rooney Mara discusses Oscar nomination for "Carol."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155February 9, 2016 5:50 PM

Money will get you everywhere

by Anonymousreply 156February 9, 2016 6:16 PM

I hearby christen her Mooney Rara.

by Anonymousreply 157February 9, 2016 6:17 PM

Rooney Mara can’t win for “Carol”: Even in the best supporting actress Oscar race, a male lead matters more

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158February 9, 2016 8:44 PM

I'm surprised that she hasn't got her ears pinned back.

by Anonymousreply 159February 9, 2016 9:27 PM

All of the comments on the article that R158 posted are against it/Mara. LOL. No1curr about Carol or White Privilege Mara.

by Anonymousreply 160February 9, 2016 9:35 PM

She always looks like she's recovering from an ice bucket challenge

by Anonymousreply 161February 9, 2016 9:57 PM

Damn,that's cold,r161!

by Anonymousreply 162February 10, 2016 11:34 AM

When Rooney talks she talks like she is smirking. My two cents.

by Anonymousreply 163February 10, 2016 11:52 AM

Rooney Mara at the 2016 Oscar Nominees Luncheon

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164February 11, 2016 10:09 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165February 13, 2016 10:58 AM

Masculine shirt!??

by Anonymousreply 166February 13, 2016 11:14 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167February 13, 2016 11:17 AM

These people know that they're hideous and are not even making an attempt...

by Anonymousreply 168February 13, 2016 12:38 PM

Rooney Mara Honored in Santa Barbara

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169February 14, 2016 12:57 PM

Looks hideous yet again at the BAFTAs. Bitch is just fugly.

by Anonymousreply 170February 14, 2016 6:09 PM

Will literally win nothing competitive this year for No1Carol. Bwhahahahah

by Anonymousreply 171February 15, 2016 12:18 AM

Rooney Mara Gets Geometric In Givenchy At The BAFTA Awards

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172February 16, 2016 12:26 PM

Rooney needs to stop following David Fincher around since the sequel to TGWTDT will never be made with her, Daniel Craig, or Fincher himself.

by Anonymousreply 173February 17, 2016 5:38 PM

How is she following Fincher around?

by Anonymousreply 174February 18, 2016 1:08 AM

[quote]Even Jennifer Lawrence comes from money, as almost every new star does now

J.Law's family doesn't have extreme wealth. They just own a construction company and a summer camp.

by Anonymousreply 175February 18, 2016 1:57 AM

Best Female Lead Nominee, Rooney Mara

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176February 19, 2016 2:50 PM

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 177February 20, 2016 7:54 PM

r175

They have enough money to buy her a condo in Santa Monica to live in whilst acting in The Bill Engvall Show as a teenager.

by Anonymousreply 178February 22, 2016 12:48 PM

Many parents subsidize their young adult childrens' rent. A condo is not a big deal IMO. She's the youngest kid. She was also earning her own money and prob contributed. That is a far cry from owning two sports franchises.

by Anonymousreply 179February 23, 2016 3:14 PM

I finally saw Carol yesterday. It was awesome.

by Anonymousreply 180February 24, 2016 6:17 PM

...said no one in AMPAS.

LOL.

by Anonymousreply 181February 24, 2016 6:34 PM

I am afraid that Carol will not win anything at the Oscars on Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 182February 24, 2016 9:57 PM

Costumes, R182, damn it!

by Anonymousreply 183February 24, 2016 10:00 PM

Rooney Mara on Gender Pay Gap in Hollywood: 'We're Having the Wrong Conversation'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184February 25, 2016 2:05 PM

[quote]I finally saw Carol yesterday. It was awesome.

It's amazing, isn't it? I can't wait for it to be released on DVD...

by Anonymousreply 185February 25, 2016 2:10 PM

Her sister Kate Mara is at least pretty, unlike this Quasimodo. They both seem cold though.

by Anonymousreply 186February 25, 2016 2:11 PM

I have to agree with you, r186. I don't think they would have had careers if they didn't have a famous name from a football franchise like Mara.

by Anonymousreply 187February 25, 2016 2:29 PM

What a fucking idiot. Did she fire her PR person or who is allowing her to give these ridiculous statements to the press? R184

by Anonymousreply 188February 25, 2016 5:08 PM

Rooney Mara is shooting herself in the foot. My two cents.

by Anonymousreply 189February 25, 2016 9:35 PM

How is she shooting herself in the foot?

by Anonymousreply 190February 26, 2016 1:21 AM

Her work in "Bodies.......Saints" was outstanding. She is down to earth and approachable in interviews when she is not intimidated. And I like that she was so impressed with the small independent lesbian themed movie Pariah and recommended it highly. Definitely has had same sex encounters, Best friends with St Vincent.

by Anonymousreply 191February 26, 2016 1:47 AM

Ain't Them Bodies Saints sucked, wtf are you on

by Anonymousreply 192February 26, 2016 5:25 AM

I believe Rooney will be making periodical movies that are set back in the 18th Century for years to come. She talked about when she was little when her mother took her to see old movies and so forth.

by Anonymousreply 193February 26, 2016 11:22 AM

You're on Lipstick Alley, R193. Your screen name is PositiveVibes. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 194February 26, 2016 4:26 PM

What about the movie she did with Martin Sheen called "Trash" in 2014?

by Anonymousreply 195February 26, 2016 7:20 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196February 28, 2016 7:33 PM

WTF IS HAPPENING TO US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today is Oscar Sunday. In three short hous the Glitteratti will converge on the red carpet for the pinnacle of all awards shows. Where is the thread. In the olden days we'd have had at least two threads started by now. We'd be preparing to live blog here, from the moment they drag their sweaty asases out of those limos on E!, to the moment the last credit rolls on the shiteous evening ahead.

There have already been a spate of pre Oscar parties, and here we are. No one knows anything. There are people who work these events. Valet parking people wait staff, bar tenders, stylists, stylists' assistants, hair & make up people. And we get nothing. Nada. I know. Joan is DEAD. Yes. She is Dead. so do we just skulk away andsurf internet porn? IS that what we're reduced to? IS IT???????

by Anonymousreply 197February 28, 2016 7:42 PM

Forget about Rooney losing the award to that brie cheese girl no one knows.

She won America's heart with her romantic lace gown tonight. She truly is an Audrey Hepburn for the new age.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198February 29, 2016 6:01 AM

The gown was Givenchy.

Perfection,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199February 29, 2016 6:04 AM

Her dirty doily dress was total shit. LOL. Her face is so fucked. Is she on the autism spectrum? Or what is "wrong" with her?

by Anonymousreply 200February 29, 2016 2:26 PM

Au ugly as hell

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201February 29, 2016 2:34 PM

I thought she looked amazing. Is the poster who keeps attacking her and Cate Blanchett just one insecure psycho or a gaggle of them??

by Anonymousreply 202March 1, 2016 7:56 AM

Brie Larsen laughs at this one who fancies herself as the 2nd coming of Audrey Hepburn. Get your own identity, fug ears!

by Anonymousreply 203March 1, 2016 8:44 AM

This poor thing needs some Lexapro.

by Anonymousreply 204March 1, 2016 11:12 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205March 2, 2016 6:44 AM

She was probably crying in her oatmeal Monday morning because the public boob fondling ala Blanchett is now over.

by Anonymousreply 206March 2, 2016 6:57 AM

It's back to McDowell in a wig and a dress!

by Anonymousreply 207March 2, 2016 7:37 AM

She is an Aries, they are just cunts. Men can get away with it easier, but it's not a good look for women.

Same thing with Kristen Stewart, Victoria Beckham, Reese, Kate Hudson, SMG, Jessica Chastain, Lady Gaga, Candace Cameron, etc.

by Anonymousreply 208March 2, 2016 7:43 AM

Weird picture.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209March 5, 2016 1:37 AM

I like her, she's like an American Isabelle Huppert. Unsmiling, brittle, not afraid of being disliked.

by Anonymousreply 210March 5, 2016 1:42 AM

...who?

by Anonymousreply 211March 5, 2016 2:36 PM

r209 That picture of them is creepy as hell.

by Anonymousreply 212March 7, 2016 12:24 AM

Are there still people out there who don't know that R. Mara and Francesca Gregorini lived together for a couple of years, as a couple?

by Anonymousreply 213March 8, 2016 6:27 AM

I heard about it, 213. Do you have first or second hand knowledge of this?

by Anonymousreply 214March 8, 2016 6:48 AM

Rooney "LUG" Mara

by Anonymousreply 215March 8, 2016 7:50 AM

I didn't know r213 but I didn't know anything about Rooney anyway.

by Anonymousreply 216March 16, 2016 1:42 AM

Rooney Mara will always be a working actress who came from money.

by Anonymousreply 217March 16, 2016 6:29 PM

[quote]I heard about it, 213. Do you have first or second hand knowledge of this?

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 218March 16, 2016 6:45 PM

Inneresting, 213. Feel free to elaborate if there is anything to elaborate on.

by Anonymousreply 219March 17, 2016 7:33 AM

Jason Segel, Robert Redford Join Rooney Mara in ‘The Discovery’

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220March 18, 2016 11:17 AM

Watch: Matthew McConaughey, Charlize Theron, Rooney Mara, And More Power New 'Kubo And The Two Strings' Trailer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221March 19, 2016 8:06 PM

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 222March 19, 2016 11:04 PM

PositiveVibes keeps bumping this thread... go back to LSA please

by Anonymousreply 223March 20, 2016 1:45 AM

LChat is a weird place.

by Anonymousreply 224March 20, 2016 2:52 PM

I watched this movie last weekend and I thought it was a mess. Nothing believable about it. Nevertheless, I watched until the end because the glamorously divine Cate Blanchett kept me enchanted, as she always does in every movie.

by Anonymousreply 225March 20, 2016 2:59 PM

Gloriously divine? Why do people worship Cate so much?

by Anonymousreply 226March 20, 2016 3:35 PM

GLAMOROUSLY, R226. GLAMOROUSLY divine.

by Anonymousreply 227March 20, 2016 5:38 PM

[quote]Why do people worship Cate so much?

Because she's brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 228March 20, 2016 5:41 PM

She can be, R228.

by Anonymousreply 229March 20, 2016 6:44 PM

Rooney Mara acts like a sycophant with directors such as David Fincher and actors she admires like Cate Blanchett. To the rest of the world she comes across as put upon and smug. She might have resembled Audrey Hepburn at the end of "Carol" but she is the polar opposite imo, humorless and devoid of any warmth or charm.

by Anonymousreply 230March 20, 2016 7:48 PM

I don't think Audrey Hepburn would care for Rooney Mara's acting work if she were alive. Rooney acts like a stuck up person who thinks she is better than the average everyday person. Money can't buy her class. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 231March 20, 2016 10:54 PM

How does Rooney act smug? I admit that I don't know much about her. I've only seen her in Carol. She seems to worship and/or be in love with Cate.

by Anonymousreply 232March 21, 2016 3:26 AM

"If the Academy nominates Mara for Best Supporting Actress, she'll win."

Really r19? Got any other predictions so I can do the opposite?

By the way, both Mara girls got their parts through connections, not natural talent. They are charmless and will never breakout in a country that embraces Jennifer Lawrence, who has (or at least had) pleanty of charm and charisma.

by Anonymousreply 233March 21, 2016 3:31 AM

Jennifer Lawrence isn't charming or charismatic.

by Anonymousreply 234March 21, 2016 3:35 AM

The Rooney stan (Positive Vibes from Lipstick Alley) is hardcore insane.

by Anonymousreply 235March 21, 2016 5:52 AM

Hey R19, AMPAS is not selective. Look at who they asked last year. Gugu Mbatha-Raw? What the hell has she ever done of note? When the likes of Busy Phillips are members, it ain't that exclusive and TSN was a Sorkin/Fincher vehicle. Mara is not special.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236March 21, 2016 5:54 AM

How does her football family help her get cast as a lead for directors like Haynes, Fincher and Soderbergh, 223? Spell it out for me because I don't get it. If she was Hollywood royalty I could see her get some breaks though most times you still have to have some sort of talent to break through even if you come from an influential Hollywood family.

In other news, her obsession with Cate seems a bit a much for a 100% straight woman.

by Anonymousreply 237March 21, 2016 7:42 AM

R237 there seems to be doubt that she is straight. Some say she dated Francesca.

by Anonymousreply 238March 21, 2016 10:14 PM

R236 Gugu Mbatha Raw is black and a Brit. That's why she was included.

by Anonymousreply 239March 22, 2016 2:50 AM

Rooney 'pings' - what do you think?

by Anonymousreply 240March 23, 2016 10:39 PM

I believe she 'pings' too, r240.

by Anonymousreply 241March 25, 2016 9:48 PM

[quote]How does her football family help her get cast as a lead for directors like Haynes, Fincher and Soderbergh, 223? Spell it out for me because I don't get it.

It doesn't. But it breaks you quickly into the industry and moves you onto the A-list in the first place. Gwyneth, Winona, Natalie Portman, Scarlett, they've all worked with as many or more top name directors than Rooney. Not to say any of them are without talent because they're not. But they didn't get all those parts because they were the best out there, but because they were perceived as being A list.

Rooney is like Gwyneth all over again. Gwyneth was always a competent, solid actress, but she was overhyped by critics and the industry for reasons having to do with class snobbery. Ÿ And exactly like mara, she never connected with the public but kept getting role after role because the industry NEEDED her to succeed. Hollywoods nouveau riche are often enthralled by the idea of old money, the idea that the Mara sisters somehow represent classiness (same snob mentality that leads them to try to make a star out of a minor talent like Armie Hammer).

[quote]If she was Hollywood royalty I could see her get some breaks though most times you still have to have some sort of talent to break through even if you come from an influential Hollywood family.

You don't need to be from a specifically Hollywood family to reap all the exact same rewards. All you need to be is from the "right" kind of family. Her old money background would be enough to open plenty of doors, in Hollywood or anywhere else. But showbiz types often have a strange reverence for blue bloods and old money backgrounds, maybe because so many of them are nouveau riche themselves.

But really, it's not just her. The vast majority of stars today come from privileged backgrounds. Eddie Redmayne went to Eton and his family is loaded. I think hiddleston and Cumberbatch have similarly posh backgrounds. And if it's not pure wealth, it's privilege of a different sort, like Daniel Radcliffe and Kristen Stewart are both the children of casting directors! Out of all the hundreds, if not thousands of potential stars, the lead roles in two of the biggest franchises of our time just HAPPENED to go to actors with casting directors for parents! The industry has become totally incestuous and it's never been harder for ordinary people to break in. If you're not either a child of wealth, or someone whose parents already work in the industry, all the doors are closed.

by Anonymousreply 242April 9, 2016 3:37 AM

Being a trust fund asshole also means that you don't have to wait tables or work any other menial jobs while you wait for your big break. Also, if your parents are influential enough, producers/directors might be wary of trying the casting couch routine.

by Anonymousreply 243April 9, 2016 8:31 AM

She gives me the creeps. Can't tell you why.

by Anonymousreply 244April 9, 2016 8:41 AM

She is probably a closeted racist.

by Anonymousreply 245April 9, 2016 10:23 AM

She isn't really ugly but she seems to make herself as homely as possible, as often as possible.

by Anonymousreply 246April 9, 2016 10:33 AM

Rooney Mara four years ago promoting TGWTDT

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247April 9, 2016 11:28 AM

The myth that having worked with a lot of top directors proves you are a great actress needs to die. All it proves is that the industry has you on the A list at this moment in time. Sean Young (I like her, but she was never an acting great) worked with Ridley Scott, David Lynch, Gus Van Sant, and Oliver Stone, among others, in her prime, and was only prevented from working with Tim Burton on Batman by injuring herself in an accident right before shooting was to commence. And she would have kept on going if she hadn't sabotaged her own image by acting like a crazy diva.

And the claim that simply being rich and well connected can't help you if you aren't talented already. Please! Nicola Peltz has eight acting credits already, she's young, she's just getting started, yet she has no acting talent whatsoever. Absolutely none. She simple can't act. But she's the daughter of a billionaire and a truly shitty human being too, by all accounts. A spoiled, nasty, mean little brat. But she's acting all right, if you can call what she does "acting."

If a zero talent, truly nasty and vicious trust fund brat like Peltz can get regular work in hollywood, then obviously trust fund brats with some degree of talent and professionalism like the Mara sisters will do much, much better, simply by being who they are. With the right connections, just about anyone can be a star. All you need is to be able to memorize lines and show up on time, and you're in. Connections matter way more than talent. Way more. I mean Mamie Gummer was literally handed the lead on a TV show simply for being Meryl Streeps daughter! She's not pretty, she's not charismatic, she doesn't have any imaginative or creative line readings, she literally has NOTHING, absolutely nothing, that sets her apart from a thousand other aspiring actresses except that she's Meryl's daughter. Yet she was given her own series. Not just a bit part on it, the main lead!

by Anonymousreply 248April 9, 2016 4:32 PM

who the fuck is this Nicola Peltz? and why you hate her so much R248?

by Anonymousreply 249April 9, 2016 4:48 PM

Allison "Nepotism" Williams is another one who has used her connections to get a career despite being a talentless idiot.

by Anonymousreply 250April 9, 2016 4:52 PM

Nicola Peltz is a billionaires daughter who bought her way into the industry despite having no talent, no soul, no humanity to her acting whatsoever. And she and her family are known to be vile people (Google her for the horror stories: Actress Bella Thorne outed her as one of the nastiest, meanest people she's ever met, and there are horror stories of her humiliating and abusing the help when she was a girl and having them fired and frogmarched out of the family mansion for no reason other than she's an entitled, spoiled cunt).

I named her as an example of how you can land parts and work regularly in Hollywood with the right background even without any discernible talent. Now the Mara sisters do have talent - not nearly as much as the industry and herd minded critics would have you believe - but they have some. So why wouldn't they do very well for themselves, if someone with no talent at all but with a similar background can do okay?

by Anonymousreply 251April 9, 2016 6:05 PM

Rooney is a DL villain.

by Anonymousreply 252April 10, 2016 11:26 AM

Here's what I can believe is true -

- Rooney likely identifies as some flavor of gay with a preference for women. - She had some kind of meeting-of-the-minds fling with Fincher - it wasn't any kind of power play on Rooney part, or coerced bullshit on Fincher's part. - The female director she dated is Francesca Gregorini - again, I don't think it was a power play on Rooney's part, but probably some evidence of an attraction to people with ambition. - The voracious sexual appetite trope is Ted's exaggerated bullshit. She probably took some advantage of being in Lisbeth mode/being foreign country to get laid, and probably has quite a bit of game when she wants to, but seems a bit too shy to be the kind of person who would take home a different girl every night, or too much of a player. - The gal is ambitious and wants to work with good directors, but she doesn't come across as a "get the best parts at all costs" cut throat bitch. She just doesn't seem to have quite that strong of an ego to her in interviews, and, by all reports from people who've interacted with her, she's incredibly sweet and considerate, in a non-fake kind of way. She's hustling to get parts, Ted's trumped her up a cut-throat bitch because he's a misogynistic gay man. - Charlie's a beard, and really clever one at that. Gay and lesbian celebrities who date non-celebrities get far more of a pass than gay and lesbian celebs who make a big deal of their relationships with significant others. (See Hugh Jackman, who gets more of a pass, even on gossip sites, for having a non-famous wife, versus Jake Gyllenhaal when he was "dating" Reese Witherspoon or Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes). - She's not seeing anyone right now.

I don't know what the hell Ted is trying to do here with making her blind so damn transparent. (He doesn't reveal blinds and out people unless they out themselves, so we'll never get a definitive answer unless Rooney decides to say she's gay, which is unlikely). I'm wondering if it's vindictive - did she refuse to give him a red carpet interview or something? Piss on his birthday cake? What? Or is he just excited that a young, talented, strikingly pretty female celeb is gay, and he can't keep his mouth shut?

With all this buzz, I'm betting we'll see Charlie make an appearance in pap pics in 3, 2,1...

by Anonymousreply 253April 10, 2016 9:05 PM

Is that a serious post r253 or joke about LChat?

by Anonymousreply 254April 11, 2016 4:50 AM

253, I don't think Charlie is a beard. For one, she never flaunts him or pda it up in pap pics, quite the opposite. But I also don't think she is straight.

by Anonymousreply 255April 11, 2016 9:08 AM

R254, it's the same insane poster who (a) posts essays here, there and everywhere bc he/she/it is obsessed with Mara, (b) keeps bumping the thread with stupid shit.

by Anonymousreply 256April 11, 2016 2:04 PM

I want to tell OP that I did not start this thread on here. In fact, I saw the thread and I answered it several times. I do hate it when somebody tries to expose me from another site on here. That is inappropriate. I don't come on here slamming anybody. I feel like Datalounge used to have some juicy gossip on here. That's what I really came for. I didn't come on here reading about gay men drooling over their favorite actors. Sorry?

by Anonymousreply 257April 11, 2016 4:28 PM

Makeup Artists and Hairstylists are in the Academy? Holly shit.

by Anonymousreply 258April 11, 2016 4:40 PM

'Carol' brought back her career. Rooney seems to have really matured during the past five years. She came across as so clueless and entitled during TGWTDT promotion that I am surprised it didn't hurt her career more. I think she has shown that she is an intellectual at least at this point in her life. But how somebody that smart didn't see that doing nudity early in her career might help her get parts initially but wouldn't build a solid career doesn't make much sense. She is somebody who can do rather graphic sex scenes but they just aren't erotic for some reason. Both her and her sister have 12 year old boy bodies that aren't that feminine or curvy either. She was vulnerable and showed her breasts in 'Carol' and that was a moving scene IMO. Why she seems to be wasting her time with Charlie is another thing that doesn't add up - she needs to realize that at the age of 31 she needs to get started making little Rooney's or not make them. He doesn't seem LTR material. But then again she is WAY too intense to be a straight girl. She is an enigma in so many ways. I do feel bad for her that she got beat out for an Oscar - she seemed really committed to doing all the publicity that was asked of her and then some. I followed a lot of it on Youtube and got exhausted watching all the interviews, I can only imagine she was totally burned out by the time the Oscars rolled around. And she seems to have been really trying to up her game and connect during interviews realizing that she kind of blew the opportunities that were available to her five years ago.

by Anonymousreply 259April 17, 2016 8:12 AM

I've noticed that she's basically an outcast in Hollywood. Vikander is basically friends with everyone. No one seems to give a shit about Rooney Mara.

by Anonymousreply 260April 17, 2016 12:15 PM

How is she an outcast?

by Anonymousreply 261April 17, 2016 2:54 PM

Mara is NOT Carol, OP. Blanchett is. Mara's character is named Therese.

by Anonymousreply 262April 17, 2016 3:04 PM

Today is Rooney Mara's birthday. She is thirty-one years old.

by Anonymousreply 263April 17, 2016 3:52 PM

Not a fan of Mara's, but the fact that she looks like not giving a fuck about being The Girl Next Door is quite endearing in this age of social networks and extreme fame-whoring (and yes, i know she can afford that because she was born a billionaire. but still...)

by Anonymousreply 264April 17, 2016 4:58 PM

Rooney is the kind of actress who wants to do her job and go home. All of the social events, the red carpets, and promotional tours do not appeal to her.

by Anonymousreply 265April 17, 2016 5:09 PM

God, she is a boring and vapid little thing, and I've worked with her. I don't get this "she's deep and intellectual"? as a puddle darling. She really does have a bit of the Gwyneth about her, and the closest you'll get to the real her is looking at the press tour of TGWTDT. Maybe casting directors like her, but those of us who have to work with her daily, no thanks.

I'd rather comb out Winslet's merkin, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 266April 17, 2016 5:11 PM

Thanks, R226. It's funny, and to a degree endearing, to read about the imagined "real" people behind actors and actresses (R259!). There is a reason that Mara is not a movie star. For one, she is an odd looking woman, and not in a good way. There were a few shots in Carol where she looked rather ugly (and she was photographed by a master cinematographer). There is, also, a flatness to her acting that she carries from film to film. And, as someone upthread mentioned, there is nothing womanly or sexual about her.

I believe Carol would have been better with Blanchett and a younger actress who possesses some charm. Mara might have been done to look like Audrey Hepburn in Carol, but Hepburn had femininity, fragility and charm. I don't see any of those attributes in Mara.

I know someone who worked rather closely with Winslet and loved the experience.

by Anonymousreply 267April 17, 2016 5:26 PM

I wonder does Charlie McDowell mellow her out as a person. He is Rooney's boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 268April 17, 2016 6:35 PM

What was so bad about Rooney r266?

by Anonymousreply 269April 17, 2016 7:04 PM

That's what I would like to know, r269.

by Anonymousreply 270April 17, 2016 7:09 PM

Part of her problem is that she didn't use to be this gothic, small-mouthed retard until she worked with Fincher. Then she decided to become this other person and it still feels like something that she is putting on.

by Anonymousreply 271April 18, 2016 2:37 AM

I think Rooney has autism.

by Anonymousreply 272April 18, 2016 2:54 AM

R268 so. Alex deLarge is her father-in law?

by Anonymousreply 273April 18, 2016 2:58 AM

She has awful teeth for a rich girl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274April 18, 2016 12:52 PM

I have to agree with you, r271.

by Anonymousreply 275April 18, 2016 2:14 PM

R274 Well she knows that she'll never be beautiful so probably figures that fixing those teef isn't worth the time or effort. She's a character actress, not a leading lady. She's allowed to be homely.

by Anonymousreply 276April 18, 2016 7:39 PM

[quote]But really, it's not just her. The vast majority of stars today come from privileged backgrounds. Eddie Redmayne went to Eton and his family is loaded. I think hiddleston and Cumberbatch have similarly posh backgrounds. And if it's not pure wealth, it's privilege of a different sort, like Daniel Radcliffe and Kristen Stewart are both the children of casting directors! Out of all the hundreds, if not thousands of potential stars, the lead roles in two of the biggest franchises of our time just HAPPENED to go to actors with casting directors for parents! The industry has become totally incestuous and it's never been harder for ordinary people to break in. If you're not either a child of wealth, or someone whose parents already work in the industry, all the doors are closed.

Don't forget about me. I was born into wealth

by Anonymousreply 277April 18, 2016 8:08 PM

To reply 266 - I have been laughing for over 24 hours that you would rather comb out Kate Winslet's merkin than work with Rooney. That is hilarious. The Blu-ray version of TGWTDT has 'behind the scenes' comments from Rooney about the audition process, etc. She just sounds so immature and crude, threw just about everybody under the bus who made the decision to cast her and it's almost unwatchable. In retrospect, looking back more than five years, it's no surprise there was never a sequel made, Amy Pascal ignored her emails and she has to audition for small roles now. For a person who won the lottery twice in her life I don't think she has ever expressed one humble comment about her good fortune.

by Anonymousreply 278April 18, 2016 10:19 PM

[quote]For a person who won the lottery twice in her life I don't think she has ever expressed one humble comment about her good fortune.

She won't ever make that comment. The only celeb who comes from money who seems a bit humble is Julia Louis Dreyfus. Goopy, Nicola Peltz, Armie Hammer, and the rest like them are pretty snobby.

by Anonymousreply 279April 18, 2016 10:25 PM

In five years from now, the roles will dry up for Rooney. She will probably be doing guest starring TV roles on television shows when her movie career dries up.

by Anonymousreply 280April 18, 2016 10:25 PM

In contrast, Brie Larson who was raised by a single mother who couldn't afford a Happy Meal and is open about her childhood living in a small apartment is warm, gracious and worked her way up as a no-name actress since she was 6 years old. During the Oscars she hugged every campus rape victim and was crying.

by Anonymousreply 281April 18, 2016 10:56 PM

I had it worse than Brie Larson. I lived in a car.

by Anonymousreply 282April 18, 2016 11:14 PM

Rooney swoons over Blanchett.

by Anonymousreply 283April 19, 2016 3:19 AM

I agree with you, r283.

by Anonymousreply 284April 19, 2016 9:26 PM

My future Oscar predication is that the next time Rooney 'plays' a lesbian she will finally win the Oscar. She has zero chemistry with males on-screen no matter who they are. In 'Carol' the characters and their love for one another wasn't developed enough, maybe it was Todd Haynes direction, the screenwriting but the two women never even really had one private conversation about how they felt about for each other. And there were was just too many differences to believe their love story would have lasted more than a year or so. I found Carol the character rather unlikeable and thought Therese deserved to find a lover who didn't have so many problems and who obviously didn't care much for other people's feelings. While I was in the theatre watching the movie - the woman a few seats away from me said she was there because she had a 'Girl Crush' on Rooney.

by Anonymousreply 285April 20, 2016 10:37 PM

[quote]I found Carol the character rather unlikeable and thought Therese deserved to find a lover who didn't have so many problems and who obviously didn't care much for other people's feelings.

I felt the same way when I saw the movie. Therese was a bit likable and I kind of related to her in the sense that I remembered being unsure of many things in my life at one point. Carol wasn't likable and I kept hoping that Sarah Paulson's character would have laid into her.

by Anonymousreply 286April 21, 2016 12:04 AM

What makes you think Rooney would have chemistry with a different woman? I've read where people say the movie was all about subtlety so that's how the characters played it. I would've liked more conversation or an exploration of their feelings. Carol and Therese sorta made an odd pair.

by Anonymousreply 287April 21, 2016 3:03 AM

I predict that she'll never win. No one likes her, someone else will always out-campaign her.

by Anonymousreply 288April 21, 2016 7:34 AM

I think she will continue doing movies for awhile and maybe will end up with Oscar nominated role, but like R288, I predict that she won't win.

I see her ending up on TV later on, probably a cable show.

by Anonymousreply 289April 21, 2016 1:56 PM

[quote]I would've liked more conversation or an exploration of their feelings. Carol and Therese sorta made an odd pair.

I liked the movie. But there was a lack of exploration of their feelings and Carol seemed too much like a weird mother figure for Therese.

by Anonymousreply 290April 21, 2016 1:58 PM

Rooney Mara is just not likeable in the industry. Sad but true.

by Anonymousreply 291April 21, 2016 2:01 PM

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 292April 21, 2016 9:48 PM

To Reply 287 - I think Rooney would have more chemistry with another woman because Cate is like a reptile and who could get close to her? I also think Rooney is gay or bi - she just doesn't know it yet. A lot of people don't realize that about themselves until they are in their early thirties. If she plays a likeable character similar to Therese again, in a better movie with more depth with a independent flair I don't count her out yet for winning an Oscar. Somebody must like her in Hollywood. I can't get into the Carol love story being about sublety, the lines between the words and nuanced stuff that the PR focused on. I want a movie that is emotional - a drama movie should tell a story not use vintage cars, clothes of the era, etc. to do most of the story telling and communicating about the characters. To me 'Carol' the character was an obnoxious narcissistic one-percenter who was used to getting what she wanted in life. She wanted Therese's body and she got it and pretty much planned to move on. The custody battle plot-line was used so that the audience would be sympathetic to Carol.

by Anonymousreply 293April 21, 2016 10:59 PM

I have to agree with you, r293.

by Anonymousreply 294April 21, 2016 11:13 PM

How is Cate like a reptile? I have heard others say the Therese/Carol pairing had a weird mom/daughter vibe. I didn't dislike the Carol character but I wish the movie hadn't focused on vintage cars, clothes, etc. Good points r293.

by Anonymousreply 295April 22, 2016 3:01 AM

I thought that Rooney and Cate in some of the lighter scenes had good chemistry. I still found Cate's portrayal of Carol to be a like predator. We saw early on that Therese was an awkward and lonely young women. Carol used that to her advantage. I was curious about the novel Price of Salt and almost bought it for my Kindle. I have found some book spoilers, which gave better explanations of Therese's sexual orientation in relation to her backstory/childhood. I have wondered if the movie would have been better if Phyllis Nagy included Therese's backstory into the screenplay.

by Anonymousreply 296April 22, 2016 3:31 AM

R296 : spoilers please! What was Therese's backstory?

by Anonymousreply 297April 22, 2016 5:38 AM

Rooney Mara has a dyke voice in a lot of interviews

by Anonymousreply 298April 22, 2016 9:34 PM

To Reply 294 - Thank you from Reply 293. To the question of why Cate is Reptilian - she just looks hard and weird to me. From the time Carol set eyes on Therese in the department store, she was like cobra playing with a small, helpless mouse. When they had lunch, both characters bantered and spoke in gay code, but even in that scene Carol gave me the creeps. If a person just meet somebody and goes to their house the next 'date' it seems is a little too fast and pretty much puts it out there what Carol really wants. Also, in the first scene with her daughter she is sitting facing a mirror and is touching her daughter's hair - when she sleeps with Therese in Waterloo Carol is also facing a mirror and touching Therese's hair. In the book Therese was from what I remember abandoned by her mother to a convent and raised as an orphan with all the issues and conflicts revolving sexuality and Catholicism. I think although Therese is less developed in the movie she is a more likeable character in the film rather than in the book. In the book she had slept with her boyfriend a few times before she met Carol so the innocence angle wasn't in the book like it was in the movie and she was more aware of Carol's faults in the book and wasn't as naïve. And she was a play set designer, not a photographer. It was probably easier to put her in a solitary work position in the film than have her interact with all the other individuals she worked with in the book. She does have more confrontational dialogue in the book with Abby, but they cut that scene from the movie.

by Anonymousreply 299April 22, 2016 10:44 PM

They cut 1/3 of the film, R299.

by Anonymousreply 300April 23, 2016 12:26 AM

[quote]To the question of why Cate is Reptilian - she just looks hard and weird to me. From the time Carol set eyes on Therese in the department store, she was like cobra playing with a small, helpless mouse.

I wonder if that's because Cate Blanchett can't help herself but act like her characters are larger than life. She needs to tone it down sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 301April 23, 2016 12:32 AM

^ can't help but act

by Anonymousreply 302April 23, 2016 12:33 AM

The best interviewer of Rooney is Joe McGovern from Screen Actors Guild (SAG). There are two interviews on YouTube from around January 21 and January 28, 2016 - one interview in NY and the other in LA where she is doing publicity for 'Carol'. Rooney stated that she didn't get her hair and make-up done and she is wearing her regular clothes. She looks natural and relaxed and much better than she does when she attends the award shows and she pings off the charts. Watch them and if you don't think she is registers on the lesbian spectrum than you have no gaydar.

by Anonymousreply 303April 23, 2016 1:42 AM

I think Cate Blanchett looks less weird when she has long hair. The hair cut and style in Carol made her very weird.

by Anonymousreply 304April 23, 2016 1:43 AM

[quote]Watch them and if you don't think she is registers on the lesbian spectrum than you have no gaydar.

As I said before, she and Francesca Gregorini lived together for a couple of years, so she must be at least bi.

by Anonymousreply 305April 23, 2016 1:46 AM

Francesca Gregorini is a real life Carol who uses up younger bi and lesbo women.

by Anonymousreply 306April 23, 2016 1:47 AM

Carol did seem somewhat predatory. This thread is a big change from the love struck women in LChat. They worship Cate and act like she is the sexiest, most beautiful woman ever. Why did they cut 1/3 of the movie?

by Anonymousreply 307April 23, 2016 1:58 AM

Were any other actresses considered for the Carol role?

by Anonymousreply 308April 23, 2016 2:05 AM

Their relationship moved too fast. There was no build up. I didn't see much chemistry between them. I remember a review that said Therese served as a fill in for Rindy. Carol felt sorta maternal toward Therese.

by Anonymousreply 309April 23, 2016 2:08 AM

I liked that the parody sketch at the Spirit Awards made fun of Carol being predator. Kate McKinnon amped up the predator angle for the sketch.

by Anonymousreply 310April 23, 2016 2:16 AM

[quote]Carol did seem somewhat predatory. This thread is a big change from the love struck women in LChat. They worship Cate and act like she is the sexiest, most beautiful woman ever. Why did they cut 1/3 of the movie?

The LChat posters got too excited about a lesbian movie receiving mainstream attention. I understand their desire for lesbian movies to gain mainstream acceptance. Gay and lesbian themed movies are still being ignored. I didn't completely dislike Carol, but there were several flaws in the movie. The story was rushed too much and as previous posters have said Carol came off as a predator. Therese and Carol looked odd together for a few reasons. Rooney Mara with that haircut looked very young compared to how Cate Blanchett was dressed and made up for the movie. The scene in the apartment of Carol staring at Therese's childhood picture was a bit creepy.

I liked how the movie touched a bit on prejudices and how very uncomfortable the subject of homosexuality was in past eras. Therese dealt with internal homophobia when those butch lesbians were looking at her in the record store. She also freaked out when her boyfriend asked her if she was in love with another woman. I sympathized with Therese on those aspects. Even though I disliked the Carol character, I found myself feeling bad for her when her lesbian affairs were used against her in the custody battle.

by Anonymousreply 311April 23, 2016 4:26 AM

R07, they cut 1 hour because test audiences thought the film was too slow moving. As for Carol being predatory, I didn't get that vibe at all.

by Anonymousreply 312April 23, 2016 4:40 AM

R312 was in reply to R307 not R07.

by Anonymousreply 313April 23, 2016 4:45 AM

Maybe that's why the film had pacing issues. It elaborated on one phase of their relationship for too long, then abbreviated the rest. It went from ogling for an hour, then sex, than a speedy reunion.

by Anonymousreply 314April 23, 2016 4:45 AM

This shit was STILL too slow, even though they cut an hour? lmao

by Anonymousreply 315April 23, 2016 9:22 AM

r311 I read the scene when she is looking at Therese's childhood picture differently. At the bottom of the photo frame it is marked Saint...so I thought that maybe Carol is thinking that Therese might be very Catholic and maybe not a person to pursue sexually. I do agree that the visual similarities between Rindy and Therese was odd-the hair styles and the jumper they both wore in the same black watch pattern was very creepy to me.

by Anonymousreply 316April 23, 2016 3:40 PM

[quote]I do agree that the visual similarities between Rindy and Therese was odd-the hair styles and the jumper they both wore in the same black watch pattern was very creepy to me

That was creepy and Therese kind of looked an adult version of Rindy.

by Anonymousreply 317April 23, 2016 5:10 PM

It seems that at some level Carol was replacing her daughter with Therese. In additional to the hair and jumper similarities Therese looked like a little girl when she got out of Carol's car and was walking in her house for the first time. She also wore a plaid pattern which was similar to Rindy's. It had to be obvious to somebody involved in the production of the film that the audience would pick up on the creepy theme and interpret it for themselves.

by Anonymousreply 318April 23, 2016 7:43 PM

There was a movie called "Tanner Hall" around 2009/2010 and I think both Rooney and Francesca were associated with it. Rooney as lead and Francesca as either director or producer. But one of them ended the relationship shortly afterward.

by Anonymousreply 319April 23, 2016 7:57 PM

[quote] Francesca Gregorini is a real life Carol who uses up younger bi and lesbo women.

Gregorini is not the sharpest tool in the shed (from what I heard).

by Anonymousreply 320April 23, 2016 9:20 PM

R318. the book is much more detailed in drawing parallels between Rindy and Therese. I don't think Todd Haynes wanted to fully commit to that aspect of the relationship but he threw in some obvious hints throughout the film ie. the hair brushing scene with Rindy/the same blocking used with Therese at the mirror prior to them making love for the first time.

There's a download available of the shooting script. It gives a fuller picture of what was to be included in the film. Nagy seems to prefer minimalism when it comes to dialogue but the final version of the film seems as if the script was pared down to the point of being a haiku. I don't know if those who feel the relationship build-up was lacking is because of deleted scenes or just her writing style. Those who have seen the film will realize just how much was cut out of the final edit or not filmed at all after reading the supposed final script.

by Anonymousreply 321April 23, 2016 11:19 PM

I'd love to read it, R321. Do you have a link?

by Anonymousreply 322April 23, 2016 11:21 PM

Carol could've been a better movie. I don't understand the choices that were made in terms of the final product. Too shallow and hasty. I also can't imagine Carol and Therese as a real couple. What was the attraction?

by Anonymousreply 323April 24, 2016 3:59 AM

R323 , I agree it could have been better. Maybe a script doctor could have fixed up Nagy's adaptation.

by Anonymousreply 324April 24, 2016 4:09 AM

Even the sex scene was lackluster. Not sure of which actresses would've been better for both roles.

by Anonymousreply 325April 24, 2016 4:16 AM

I thought the sex scene was well done. The movie had other problems with pacing and writing. Did the DVD/Blu-Ray features include deleted scenes?

by Anonymousreply 326April 24, 2016 1:19 PM

r326 Unfortunatly no deleted scenes are included in the extras, just interviews with the cast and crew.

by Anonymousreply 327April 24, 2016 3:12 PM

To Reply 321 -- very good insight that I could never articulate like you did. Is it Nagy's screenwriting that lacked or did Todd Haynes chop the film to bring it in under two hours for commercial reasons and then the finished product looked like parts of a movie instead of a full story? I have never heard of Nagy before nor even Todd Haynes, but there is definitely something missing from the film be it written dialogue or deleted scenes. From what I have read this project was shopped around for almost two decades and then Blanchett attached her name to it and then it finally got the go-ahead to get made. First Rooney was offered the role of Therese but turned it down due to being too exhausted from TGWTDT shoot and promotion, then Mia Wasikowska was cast as Therese but had to bow out at the last minute due to scheduling conflicts caused by the movie she was filming at the time. Then Rooney was again offered the role and accepted. Because Blanchett is the bigger name in the business, the story was tailored to revolve around her and Therese was not as much a primary character as she was in the book. I have mentioned the same comments on Amazon that in my opinion the movie wasn't bad but was not the masterpiece that it was promoted as and I got slammed by other reviewers, saying I was hateful, couldn't grasp the meaning of the story, Carol was a persecuted woman, etc.

by Anonymousreply 328April 24, 2016 7:51 PM

Why does she go out of her way to look ugly? I don't get it. I wonder what she looks like when she smiles, if she smiles.

by Anonymousreply 329April 24, 2016 7:58 PM

Mia Wasikowska looks more dykey than Rooney Mara.

by Anonymousreply 330April 24, 2016 8:13 PM

Phyllis Nagy is a bitter angry DYKE. Cannot write a screenplay worth a damn.

by Anonymousreply 331April 24, 2016 8:21 PM

Don't be an insulting idiot, R331. Nagy is a fine screenwriter.

by Anonymousreply 332April 24, 2016 8:25 PM

Would there be better chemistry between Cate and Mia?

by Anonymousreply 333April 24, 2016 9:39 PM

To [Reply 323] - I don't get the attraction either. Therese was headed in a bohemian direction and Carol only had status because of who she married. I could see too many conflicts in their relationship just around the corner. For Therese, Carol was probably the only lesbian she had ever met and she could experience her long awaited desires with her. For Carol, Therese was an innocent ready to be taken advantage of and Carol just couldn't resist. If you read between the lines, neither Abby or Carol showed much capacity or interest for truly loving another person - Abby was chasing the next skirt she could get and Carol once she got something wasn't satisfied. Their communication while having a few martini's pretty much made it clear that neither was motivated by love. [Reply 329] - who is the ugly one to you, Cate or Rooney?

by Anonymousreply 334April 24, 2016 9:47 PM

Wasikowska is a bit of a blank, but she is not an emotional flat-line like Mara.

by Anonymousreply 335April 24, 2016 9:48 PM

[quote][Reply 329] - who is the ugly one to you, Cate or Rooney?

I think R329 meant Rooney, not Cate. Cate smiles a lot, and I don't think anyone would call her ugly.

by Anonymousreply 336April 24, 2016 9:50 PM

Cate has an ugly nose.

by Anonymousreply 337April 24, 2016 9:54 PM

[quote]Wasikowska is a bit of a blank, but she is not an emotional flat-line like Mara.

Rooney M has autism and that explains the monotone voice too. Her sister Kate is her handler and that's why Kate is often at events with Rooney. She has to be there in case Rooney has a Rain Man moment.

by Anonymousreply 338April 24, 2016 10:06 PM

She was completely underwhelming in "Carol."

by Anonymousreply 339April 24, 2016 10:15 PM

Carol told Therese I love you but the movie didn't explore how the love came about. I don't even think Carol knew whether she loved Therese or not. I also couldn't believe she asked her to move into her new apartment. The whole movie is rushed.

by Anonymousreply 340April 25, 2016 2:53 AM

[quote]I also couldn't believe she asked her to move into her new apartment. The whole movie is rushed.

I scratched my head at that scene because Carol was still dealing with the custody issues. The soon to be ex was probably going to continue to having someone keep tabs on Carol to see if she kept having lesbian flings.

by Anonymousreply 341April 25, 2016 3:38 AM

I thought Carol had already lost custody when she asked Therese to move in. Either way it didn't make sense.

by Anonymousreply 342April 25, 2016 4:41 AM

LOL at Rooney having autism. It does explain a lot.

I personally enjoyed how upset all the dykes got when Carol didn't get the nominations they thought it should and actually tried to piggyback onto the OscarsSoWhite train with OscarsSoStraight. Seriously, they should all be ashamed of themselves.

by Anonymousreply 343April 25, 2016 6:07 AM

[quote]LOL at Rooney having autism. It does explain a lot.

That weird sheekyforums site has been pushing the "Rooney has autism" joke for several months now. Some people on that site actually believe that she has autism based on things she has said in interviews that ties in with aspergers/autism symptoms.

by Anonymousreply 344April 25, 2016 4:46 PM

I have wondered if Mara could be a highly-functional person with Asperger's. Or a person who lacks 'emotional intelligence' as she goes off-script often and doesn't seem to know it. She blurts out TMI in in inappropriate settings too many times not to notice. She dropped the F-bomb on the Tonight Show for example, a program that is broadcast all over the world on network TV. Why would an up and coming celebrity do that? Or during an interview for 'Carol' she went into detail regarding a deleted scene where Therese 'jerks' off' her boyfriend and gets grossed out. The audience gasped and the interviewer blushed red and quickly ended the interview. There was a way for her to communicate that Therese while experimenting with her sexuality was turned off by physical intimacy with her boyfriend (and the scene was left on the cutting room floor) but to say it that way was just so strange. And during the Oscars show she plainly said to an interviewer that she didn't think 'Carol' was going to win any awards after all the publicity and studio backing that went into getting a barely average movie nominated for six awards.

by Anonymousreply 345April 25, 2016 10:46 PM

She doesn't seem autistic around Cate. She seems in awe of her.

by Anonymousreply 346April 26, 2016 1:32 AM

The scene in the lounge towards the end of the movie made absolutely no sense. Carol dumps Therese because she is about to lose custody of her daughter, then in the lounge Therese asks Carol if she has seen Rindy and Carol nonchalantly says 'once or twice' like she wasn't that interested in a relationship with her child.

by Anonymousreply 347April 26, 2016 1:42 AM

Other celebs have dropped F bombs on the Tonight Show and similar shows. But, RM seems a bit off in other ways.

by Anonymousreply 348April 26, 2016 1:55 AM

[quote]She doesn't seem autistic around Cate. She seems in awe of her.

I noticed that too in footage of them promoting the movie. I believe the rumors about Rooney being bi.

by Anonymousreply 349April 26, 2016 2:15 PM

Thanks for the info, r338.

by Anonymousreply 350April 26, 2016 6:22 PM

I don't get the infatuation with Cate. To me she is a phony, a campy actress and very overrated. I remember RM dropping the F-bomb while promoting the movie 'Pan' which was aimed at the Harry Potter crowd, the pre-teens. If I were her agent I don't know what I would do at this point to get her 'on message'. Another question - why would she even do a movie like 'Pan'?

by Anonymousreply 351April 26, 2016 10:22 PM

Billy on the Street is a Cate fan boy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 352April 26, 2016 11:21 PM

I don't get it either r351. I didn't know Cate was worshiped until Carol came out. Apparently people think she's the best actress ever. I also didn't know people considered her beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 353April 27, 2016 1:51 AM

I suppose her inability to conceal or lie about her infatuation with Cate could support her having aspergers - as they are often frank to a fault.

by Anonymousreply 354April 27, 2016 6:41 AM

Rooney did "Pan" because she wanted something her whole family could see, r351.

by Anonymousreply 355April 27, 2016 3:27 PM

I doubt Rooney's family cares about her movie career.

by Anonymousreply 356April 27, 2016 6:58 PM

Does RM have a big mouth because she is somewhat Aspergy or she just doesn't give a flying fig because she doesn't have to? She is the longest reigning 'faded it girl' I can remember. She has limited range as an actress, is attractive but most would not consider beautiful, rather asexual, people consider her rather unlikeable - she is such an anti-thesis of what it takes to make it as an actress. Sometimes I see pictures of RM pre TGWTDT and I don't even recognize her.

by Anonymousreply 357April 27, 2016 10:21 PM

R357 RM has said in a few interviews that she is quite shy and has a hard time connecting with people. There are some people with Asperger's that are like that and then when they have to speak it becomes a disaster because they don't filter themselves.

For me, RM's voice is creepy and makes wonder if she has some kind of mental problem.

by Anonymousreply 358April 27, 2016 10:31 PM

356, maybe her nieces and nephews enjoyed it, I think she has some.

by Anonymousreply 359April 28, 2016 6:58 AM

We probably will ever know if RM has autism or Asperger's, r358. The Maras are a private family. They don't want their personal business disclosed on the internet. It is probably the reason why Rooney does not have a Twitter page or a Facebook page. She does not care for social media.

by Anonymousreply 360April 28, 2016 5:36 PM

[Reply 358] - I agree. And her voice seems to be tinged with an 'I don't want to be here' undertone.

by Anonymousreply 361April 28, 2016 10:28 PM

i think Cate was actually ruined by Blue Jasmine. She was basically a drag queen playing Blanche Dubois in that movie, and she somehow got great reviews and an oscar. Maybe that's why she played Carol like a drag queen trying to impersonate some late 40s hollywood femme fatale. I don't know how she was in Truth, but it doesn't really matter because so few persons watched that it might as well be unreleased.

by Anonymousreply 362April 28, 2016 10:56 PM

Many of us are in the minority because we disliked both Blue Jasmine and Carol and especially Cate in both those movies. The way Cate walked across the street to meet Therese for lunch was so drag queeny to be laughable. Her lipstick was so thick in the movie she looked like a cartoon character. I wonder if in five years, Carol will be viewed more as a comedy and parody than something to be taken seriously.

by Anonymousreply 363April 29, 2016 1:17 AM

I think years from now there will be a very good lesbian theme movie and Carol will be long forgotten. Another lesbian movie that could have been better was Freeheld.

by Anonymousreply 364April 29, 2016 1:33 AM

Brokeback was much better than Carol. I didn't think of Cate as a drag queen in Blue Jasmine or Carol. Will she get a 3rd Oscar?

by Anonymousreply 365April 29, 2016 2:52 AM

Cate will probably sign onto some Oscar bait movie where she plays a disabled person in order to get her 3rd Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 366April 29, 2016 3:06 AM

DL should have a Cannes Film Festival thread this year.

by Anonymousreply 367April 29, 2016 3:20 AM

Cate Blanchett was great in Blue Jasmine. However you define her acting in that film, one thins is certain - her acting perfectly fit with the theme and the tone of the film. She WAS the film.

by Anonymousreply 368April 29, 2016 5:23 AM

I view the fact that 'Carol' wasn't nominated for best director and film as homophobic. A lesbian storyline and author, filmed by a gay man was left out of the nominations and as one poster mentioned I don't agree that they had nerve to think they should be nominated. Crap was nominated so it was obvious to me that it was a snub..imo. Did I buy that Carol would be intriqued by the Therese-no, still don't see it. Mara has no charasima, wit or charm and she isn't breathtakinly beautiful. I do find it interesting that Sony is more interested in hiring Swedish actress Alicia Vikander for the Lisabeth Salander role to follow-up (skipping book 2 & 3) of Dragon Tattoo and sad that Mara is saying that she is still going to play the part (linked article).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 369April 29, 2016 4:09 PM

Mara's Aspergers syndrome probably keeps her from realizing that the studio doesn't care about her reprising Lisabeth Salander.

by Anonymousreply 370April 29, 2016 4:28 PM

Cate will probably sign onto some Oscar bait movie where she plays a person with Aspergers in order to get her 3rd Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 371April 29, 2016 4:36 PM

True, r370.

by Anonymousreply 372April 29, 2016 4:50 PM

Cate's weird face and nose would aid her in playing a weirdo Aspie.

by Anonymousreply 373April 29, 2016 4:51 PM

"Rooney Mara's Asperger's" is the latest DL myth, much like "Marion Cotillard's prosthetic foot."

by Anonymousreply 374April 29, 2016 6:38 PM

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 375April 29, 2016 9:52 PM

Mara needs to accept that TGWTDT ship has sailed past her. It's very strange and coincidental that not only did Alicia Vikander take the Oscar out of Rooney's hands when she was the favorite to win it early on but then goes on to take the role of a lifetime away as well. I read a review of Carol a few months ago and the comment the reviewer made was that Mara has aged/matured quite a bit just since the filming of Carol two years ago. To me, I can see that as well, not that is a negative thing but playing a young twenty-something doesn't fit her anymore. I wonder if we will see her on the red carpet in the years to come or if those days are over as well.

by Anonymousreply 376April 29, 2016 10:05 PM

[quote]"Rooney Mara's Asperger's" is the latest DL myth, much like "Marion Cotillard's prosthetic foot."

How about the myth about me having a glass eye?

by Anonymousreply 377April 29, 2016 10:07 PM

If Rooney is a dangerous Aspie then

Alicia Vikander, you in danger, girl.

by Anonymousreply 378April 29, 2016 10:17 PM

More like, Cean Chaffin is a dead (wo)man walking.

by Anonymousreply 379April 29, 2016 10:41 PM

To [Reply 378] - that is hilarious. Fortunately, most Aspie's are not dangerous, they are just clueless.

by Anonymousreply 380April 29, 2016 11:52 PM

When was Rooney the fave to win the Oscar?

by Anonymousreply 381April 30, 2016 2:15 AM

I could also add on here if I may. Rooney Mara is not the flavor of the moth anymore. She is thirty-one years old. Like somebody said on here that Rooney Mara is a character actress at best.

by Anonymousreply 382April 30, 2016 1:36 PM

R381 I'm not R376 but he/she prob means after she tied for Best Actress at Cannes, she was the presumed favorite to win an Oscar. I have trouble giving much legitimacy to an award that was handed out when the likes of Sienna Miller was part of the jury.

Alicia Vikander is like 3 times the actress Mara is, has a much wider range and appeal. Like it's not even close. Mara never stood a chance and was more than likely a distant third in this year's Supporting race after Winslet. Character actress only.

by Anonymousreply 383April 30, 2016 2:52 PM

Rooney will always have her family money to fall back on when her acting career is over.

by Anonymousreply 384April 30, 2016 3:35 PM

I meant month.

by Anonymousreply 385May 1, 2016 10:01 AM

She mumbles all her lines. The only actress worse is her less talented sister, the one from House of Cards. You just want to smack her.

by Anonymousreply 386May 1, 2016 10:46 AM

That is true, r386. I really don't see Kate and Rooney acting forever. They will probably settle down with rich men, get married and have families of their own.

by Anonymousreply 387May 1, 2016 10:54 AM

I can see Kate trying to have a long term acting career in TV and occasional movies. She seems like the Hollywood scene more than Aspie Rooney.

by Anonymousreply 388May 1, 2016 3:16 PM

With all of the struggling actresses in this world, who are attractive, sexy, and have nice, feminine figures, Rooney Mara the daughter of a BILLIONAIRE catches roles and is promoted as the new thing.

Such bullshit Hollywood is. Daddy must have paid everyone off.

Mara has ZERO charisma, chemistry with fellow actors, and has a dazed look in her eyes.

"Carol" is the awkward, autistic little sister to the hot and groovy "Blue is the Warmest Color."

by Anonymousreply 389May 1, 2016 3:59 PM

I guess the era of waitressing until you get work is over. It looks like Hollywood wants to keep all the money within their own families, therefore unconnected people can fuck off.

Just another reason to boycott Hollywood.

The fact that this charmless boob gets top roles instead of qualified and attractive women who have studied and toiled for years--I give up.

It's a fix.

by Anonymousreply 390May 1, 2016 4:13 PM

This is Rooney's dear old dad. Timothy Christopher Mara. I have to agree with r389 that he probably paid everyone off as well as paid for her career. My two cents

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 391May 1, 2016 4:25 PM

I don't think you can even fuck your way into a role anymore, at least not at ground level.

Oh sure, they will try, but that role will go to someone's niece or daughter who vacations with the family.

The rich are keeping it in the family, as they always do.

This is a terrible time to be an artist, just look at what Prince went through, RIP.

by Anonymousreply 392May 1, 2016 5:25 PM

That's a good point, r392.

by Anonymousreply 393May 1, 2016 6:51 PM

Fincher is partially to blame for Mara's career. He has a thing for hiring rich kids like Mara and Armie Hammer and the Hollywood nepotist brats like Gywneth Paltrow.

by Anonymousreply 394May 1, 2016 7:35 PM

I just feel that Columbia Pictures or Sony didn't want to take the risk of an American sequel of TGWTDT with the same cast as well as David Fincher. My two cents.

by Anonymousreply 395May 1, 2016 11:01 PM

Rooney definitely doesn't have any fans on DL.

by Anonymousreply 396May 2, 2016 1:49 AM

At least Rooney isn't a gross fattie like Lens Dunham.

by Anonymousreply 397May 2, 2016 2:51 AM

I agree with Reply 394 that Fincher led Mara down a path that didn't open up future horizons for her but got her stuck in some Goth rut that she either can't or won't get out of. She was rather bland and boring pre-TGWTDT days but at least she smiled and her roles weren't dark and depressing. For me, Fincher has always been a nearly out of control misogynistic nut case and he just used and exploited her. However, she always had the option to tell him TGTH if she really wanted out from under him unlike most actresses in her situation. I do feel sort of bad for Rooney that Amy Pascal was such a dismissive bitch to her. RM's emails seemed sincere and after 5 years she just wanted a yes or no answer.

by Anonymousreply 398May 2, 2016 10:16 PM

What did Fincher do to Rooney?

by Anonymousreply 399May 3, 2016 12:02 AM

"Carol" is the awkward, autistic little sister to the hot and groovy "Blue is the Warmest Color."

One (if not both) of the "Blue is the Warmest Color" actresses come also from a very rich, well connected background.

by Anonymousreply 400May 3, 2016 1:06 AM

It's very common in European countries for actors/actresses to come from wealthy or well connected backgrounds. It's happening more here in the US with people like the Gyllenhaals, Goldie Hawn's spawn, M's spawn and actor spawn getting more work. Then add old money people like Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Ellie Kemper working in TV.

by Anonymousreply 401May 3, 2016 2:25 AM

I just looked at Kemper's wiki. I had no idea. Ellie is a terrible nickname.

by Anonymousreply 402May 3, 2016 2:35 AM

Donald Bellisario's daughter Troian, who is on Pretty Little Liars, seems to be another Rooney Mara type. There are stories about Troian being a pretentious cunt.

by Anonymousreply 403May 3, 2016 2:09 PM

Ellie Kemper is seriously homely.

by Anonymousreply 404May 3, 2016 3:27 PM

That's why she has to be funny R404

by Anonymousreply 405May 3, 2016 3:39 PM

Kemper is still slightly better looking than her Office pal Mindy Kaling and someone like Lens Dunham.

by Anonymousreply 406May 3, 2016 3:54 PM

Geeeus! WTF? Rooney is not satan DL. Get a fuckin grip. You all are starting to sound deranged.

by Anonymousreply 407May 3, 2016 3:58 PM

Mindy Kaling is ugly as sin. I look at her and immediately understand why she is perpetually single.

by Anonymousreply 408May 3, 2016 4:04 PM

I saw Carol this past wknd with a bunch of friends, gay & straight.

Everyone agreed the performances were technically well done, but that the film itself was a tremendous bore.

by Anonymousreply 409May 3, 2016 4:26 PM

i'm half italian and i find the name "Troian" hilarious: "troia" means "whore" in italian.

by Anonymousreply 410May 3, 2016 4:29 PM

“Kubo and the Two Strings” Debuts New Trailer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 411May 3, 2016 9:53 PM

Aspie Rooney probably loved doing a voice for a cartoon movie.

by Anonymousreply 412May 3, 2016 10:33 PM

Aspie Rooney's dad looks like a smug jerk. He probably dyes his hair for it to look that blond at his age. All of RM's movies soon flop after they are released unless she plays a lesbo. Am I the only one to notice that evident pattern?

by Anonymousreply 413May 4, 2016 12:24 AM

I'm embarrassed for you that (a) you're this obsessed with wet dishrag Rooney Mara, and (b) that in a vain attempt to get her thread here going, you're calling her Aspie. I think you need a lot of help. Can't you do this over on LChat or did you and all of your IPs get banned for life?

by Anonymousreply 414May 4, 2016 1:48 AM

The ladies at LChat worship Rooney.

by Anonymousreply 415May 4, 2016 2:23 AM

I'm a lesbian and I dislike a lot things that go on at LChat. LChat posters will worship any actress who plays a lesbian or bi female even if they are completely awful actresses or snotty in real life. L Chat overpraises that awful same sex female couple on Grey's Anatomy. Both actresses are awful especially Jessica Capshaw. Capshaw is another bad case of nepotism.

LChat posters also like Alanna Masterson because she plays a lesbian on The Walking Dead. When the topic of Alanna being a Scientologist and the history of homophobia was brought up, many LChat posters glossed over those details. Maybe not all Scientologists are homophobic, but families like the Mastersons are still screwed up.

by Anonymousreply 416May 4, 2016 4:44 AM

LChat actually forbids discussion of heterosexual romances of any of the actresses that have threads there. How is that kind of censorship even permitted? What kind of immense insecurity lurks behind it?

They are also so desperate for ANY kind of representation that they will champion trashy, over-before-they-even started couples like that pair of coke whores, Michelle Rodriguez and her ex Cara Delevingne.

by Anonymousreply 417May 4, 2016 5:10 AM

LChat is infatuated with Cara and St Vincent. It's a weird site.

by Anonymousreply 418May 4, 2016 5:22 AM

[quote]Everyone agreed the performances were technically well done, but that the film itself was a tremendous bore.

I felt the same way. The storyline pacing was too fast and I'm curious to know if better scenes cut out. I know Sarah Paulson said a key scene between Therese and Abby was cut out.

by Anonymousreply 419May 4, 2016 5:27 AM

L Chat lesbians think that if they ever met Cate Blanchett she would madly fall in love with them. Of course, to them Cate is perfect: funny, intelligent, classy. Except... she's married to that couch potato guy, a detail no one is allowed to bring up unless they want to vomit over his looks.

by Anonymousreply 420May 4, 2016 5:37 AM

[quote]Except... she's married to that couch potato guy, a detail no one is allowed to bring up unless they want to vomit over his looks.

I don't think Cate is extremely attractive and her face shape is a bit odd. But, she looks so mismatched with that guy and one of their sons is starting look like him.

by Anonymousreply 421May 4, 2016 12:58 PM

I still don't think Tyler Perry or John Singleton would ever hire Rooney to be in one of their films. My two cents. The thought of putting Rooney in a black film would be atrocious.

by Anonymousreply 422May 4, 2016 3:28 PM

Rooney should play a slave owner in period piece film.

by Anonymousreply 423May 4, 2016 5:45 PM

I was thinking that Rooney could play a schoolteacher in an all black school.

by Anonymousreply 424May 4, 2016 6:42 PM

Here's setup for Rooney in a black movie. It is set in the 1950s in Alabama. Rooney's character's father is in the KKK and brutally murders a black couple. To atone for her father's action Rooney takes a teaching job at a run down poor black school while concealing her identity as the murdering Klansman's daughter.

by Anonymousreply 425May 4, 2016 7:01 PM

Rooney Mara Is Probably Going To Play Mary Magdalene In A Movie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 426May 4, 2016 10:02 PM

Rooney actually helped establish a water supply in a town in Kenya, I believe. She became close to the children in an orphanage there. And it is quite tragic that one of the girls who Mara became attached to and the Mara family was thinking of adopting, but because of the red tape, etc. didn't take home here ended up getting raped at the orphanage. I think it really devastated Rooney's mother, I saw her cry during a press conference where they were discussing the water project. It's on YouTube, it will break your heart.

by Anonymousreply 427May 4, 2016 10:11 PM

Yep r420. The LChat ladies ignore Cate's dumpy husband and imagine her as lez. They truly worship her. I never knew Cate was so popular and loved until I read their comments. Am I missing something? I don't think Cate is beautiful or sexy.

by Anonymousreply 428May 5, 2016 3:12 AM

R427 Interesting story. I wonder if Mara will start collecting/adopting African orphans in a few years.

by Anonymousreply 429May 5, 2016 4:36 AM

Uweza Foundation web site

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 430May 5, 2016 7:16 PM

To Reply 428, to me Cate is kinda gross. Her head is shaped like an almond and she has stretched eyes - I hope I don't come off as overly bitchy - but jeez she ain't that great. In my opinion the PR of 'Carol' was to promote Cate as a God and have Mara worship her and the whole movie revolved around Cate as she was golden because of her Oscar win. I think Rooney most likely had a barf bag nearby and was checking her watch to see how long she had to be in awe of Cate before she could take-off. But I guess if you win two Oscars the world worships you more than anything. For interesting reading check out the biography of the author of book 'The Price of Salt/Carol' - she was a real piece of work. In a nutshell she was Therese in real life who as a late teenager was infatuated by actually two women who then became a composite of the Carol character in the story.

by Anonymousreply 431May 5, 2016 10:46 PM

Rooney Mara has always pinged my gaydar.

by Anonymousreply 432May 5, 2016 10:58 PM

I remember looking at the financial docs for her "charity" and all of the donations were from her mommy.

by Anonymousreply 433May 6, 2016 12:07 AM

Rooney and her mom sounded so fake in that youtube video of them being devastated over the little girl.

by Anonymousreply 434May 6, 2016 12:25 AM

You've got a point there, r434. The Maras are used to put on airs for the public.

by Anonymousreply 435May 6, 2016 10:24 AM

What made Rooney wanted to become a vegan?

by Anonymousreply 436May 6, 2016 2:23 PM

[quote]I think Rooney most likely had a barf bag nearby and was checking her watch to see how long she had to be in awe of Cate before she could take-off.

Really, I don't think she's a good enough actress to pull that off convincingly. She practically glowed around Blanchett. Not sure if she can fake that.

by Anonymousreply 437May 6, 2016 4:39 PM

I believe that the Maras are closeted racists with money.

by Anonymousreply 438May 6, 2016 7:49 PM

[quote]I believe that the Maras are closeted racists with money.

Good to know. I'll call Kate and Rooney soon. We can discuss wealth and white supremacy.

by Anonymousreply 439May 6, 2016 8:59 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 440May 6, 2016 9:48 PM

Is Charlie an Aspie too?

by Anonymousreply 441May 6, 2016 10:18 PM

It's definitely not a great picture of either of them. He always seems to walk two steps behind her and usually they are photographed during the buzz around awards season which is in the fall and winter. Then he drops out of sight. One thing that is rather strange is that even an old 'family portrait' of the Mara's, you know mom, pop and the four kids isn't something seen even in the days of the internet. I have to agree with the person who posted about the YouTube video seeming a bit fake of the African charity and the story of the little girl. Rooney has a total blank stare (could be the camera angle?) when her mother's voice cracks a bit. I thought the emotion of describing such an event was missing something. I felt compassion for the victim, but also a bit of coldness in the conveyance of such an event. As far a gaydar goes, one of her brother's has also been somewhat outed on the net as gay.

by Anonymousreply 442May 6, 2016 11:16 PM

Rooney definitely glowed around Cate. It didn't seem fake.

by Anonymousreply 443May 7, 2016 12:30 AM

A common trait among Aspie's is that they don't 'close the deal' regarding relationships. - just like these two.

by Anonymousreply 444May 7, 2016 1:05 AM

I am sure that Cate was thrilled when Rooney worked with her on Carol.

by Anonymousreply 445May 7, 2016 11:14 AM

Bump this thread!!!

by Anonymousreply 446May 7, 2016 2:14 PM

Please enlighten me, what does 'bump' mean in this context?

by Anonymousreply 447May 7, 2016 5:47 PM

Keeping the thread going, r447.

by Anonymousreply 448May 7, 2016 7:25 PM

Kate and Rooney Mara Join Forces to Save Abandoned Chimpanzees

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 449May 7, 2016 7:27 PM

Too Reply 448, thanks from Reply 447. I kept seeing 'bump' but didn't know what the word was referring to. In this clip Kate and Rooney are in a boat throwing bananas at the starving monkeys to eat. Roon's hair is dyed blond, and extremely so, most likely right before the filming of the movie she and her bf/merkin just wrapped in Providence, RI.

by Anonymousreply 450May 7, 2016 8:41 PM

Thanks for the info, r450.

by Anonymousreply 451May 7, 2016 9:39 PM

All chimpanzees should have been executed after that Connecticut woman was attacked.

by Anonymousreply 452May 8, 2016 7:05 AM

It just seems like the Maras are fake. Their body language tells the truth. I saw the video on Vimeo where Rooney and her mother were talking about the charity in Africa. It didn't seem genuine. Nothing is really genuine about the Maras in my opinion. They think their crap doesn't stink because they come from wealth.

by Anonymousreply 453May 8, 2016 11:16 AM

Even Necar Zadegan is better than Rooney Mara!

by Anonymousreply 454May 8, 2016 11:19 AM

Exactly, r454.

by Anonymousreply 455May 8, 2016 2:18 PM

Any actress who doesn't have Asperger's is better than Mara.

by Anonymousreply 456May 8, 2016 2:20 PM

When will the public know that Rooney Mara has autism or Asperger's?

by Anonymousreply 457May 8, 2016 2:34 PM

To Reply 453 - body language is a very insightful observation about the Mara's. During interviews you can sense that at least Rooney and to some extent Kate act like is beneath them to put in the effort to be warm or likeable, the same way royalty behaves in other parts of the world. That she won't smile for pictures on a public street isn't so much about guarding her privacy, it more about having a 'tude IMO. For me, I can't quite buy the explanation for her aloofness that Rooney is 'shy' and 'quiet' as she has no problem doing explicit scenes that would make most shy people very hesitant to do especially when the image can be viewed by millions. Some things just don't add up.

by Anonymousreply 458May 8, 2016 3:30 PM

Well said, r458.

by Anonymousreply 459May 8, 2016 4:15 PM

I don't necessarily agree, R158. There have been other apparently shy, introverted actors who give a lot of themselves on screen. Doesn't Robert De Niro have a reputation for being shy? Some actors are able to overcome a lot of their natural reservations because they want to deliver a great performance.

by Anonymousreply 460May 8, 2016 4:24 PM

For a dollar, is Rooney Mara pretending to be shy in public?

by Anonymousreply 461May 8, 2016 8:30 PM

I'm not sure, r461.

by Anonymousreply 462May 8, 2016 10:39 PM

I'll admit that I want to see weirdo Rooney play hooker Mary Magdalene.

by Anonymousreply 463May 9, 2016 4:02 AM

R461, For my money, Billy, I'd rather see you play Magdalene. And Alec Mapa as your Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 464May 9, 2016 4:17 AM

Someone is clearly trying to get "Rooney Mara is an Aspie" going on the net. Don't get all the hate for her. The interviews I've seen her do this time around are unremarkable. She seems pretty regular to me. Also feel like I watched a different film than the "Carol" haters. Makes me feel like we have lost our ability to watch films presented in ways other than superhero and bad tv movie romance or reality tv ratchet drama.

by Anonymousreply 465May 9, 2016 4:50 AM

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 466May 9, 2016 2:46 PM

She reminds me of Mink Stole.

by Anonymousreply 467May 9, 2016 3:06 PM

R46R The sheekyforums started the "Rooney Mara is an Aspie" thing months ago.

by Anonymousreply 468May 9, 2016 3:12 PM

Someone *cough* R466 *cough* is obsessed with her and probably a stalker. Why do you keep bumping the thread, psycho?

by Anonymousreply 469May 9, 2016 3:58 PM

Elizabeth Olsen Looks Up To Jennifer Lawrence and Rooney Mara

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 470May 9, 2016 8:14 PM

Fugly bitch looks up to other fugly bitches

by Anonymousreply 471May 9, 2016 8:33 PM

At least Jennifer Lawrence eats more than the anorexic Olsen twins.

by Anonymousreply 472May 10, 2016 2:25 AM

Seven movies from Cannes 2016 that you can’t miss watching

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 473May 11, 2016 3:49 PM

A gif from the Carol movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 474May 17, 2016 5:42 PM

Carol was a gross predator.

by Anonymousreply 475May 17, 2016 5:51 PM

Carol's a predator? Please. (Spoiler Alert) This is Carol: I'm real rich, I'm a real lady, sigh, I need hot pussy time with moist salesgirl! Uh oh I got hubby and homophobia pissing on my pink stole Oh they wont let me eat in peace. Will I lose my daughter over this? Will I lose my mind if I don't gets me some of that sweet peasant pussy pie?! Therese: I'm moist and struggling. Rich lady lookin' at me like she gonna eat me good and I'm down with that! I hope my pussy don't make her lose the brat but I need a better camera Uh oh private dick recorded her slurps and my moans. Now my pussy gotta go back to squalor and her pussy got to go to court and holler "Gimme back my brat!". I'll just have to sit my troublemakin' snatch down on Abby's face and wait until Carol comes clop clop clopping up on her high horse to rescue me The End.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 476May 17, 2016 8:05 PM

R475 Cate looks like a tranny in that pic

by Anonymousreply 477May 17, 2016 9:13 PM

To Reply 476 - that about sums up my review of 'Carol' as well. Also, she was a person who wanted what she couldn't have and then when she got it didn't want it anymore. The movie would have received no acclaim at all and probably wouldn't have even been released without the lesbian angle that could be exploited for attention. Kate McKinnon does a spoof of the restaurant scene that is on YouTube and it is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 478May 17, 2016 10:14 PM

The Kate McKinnon parody was hilarious. I didn't mind annoying dyke Wanda Sykes popping up in it.

by Anonymousreply 479May 17, 2016 11:07 PM

Does Carol seem like a predator because of the age difference?

by Anonymousreply 480May 18, 2016 2:15 AM

Rooney Mara on the promotional tour for Carol gif.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 481May 18, 2016 4:54 PM

Carol came off a predator because of many factors: the difference in age and life experience, social and economic status and she had much more experience in relationships even though she demonstrated that she wasn't very good at them or caring to others. Carol deep down had the comfort of knowing that she would be fine no matter what happened. However, as the movie played out Carol's power was starting to diminish and Therese had the upper hand in the end at least in regards who proved they really had the ability/strength/depth to move on in life. Carol was stuck emotionally and Therese proved to be the stronger person.

by Anonymousreply 482May 18, 2016 10:15 PM

I didn't get Carol asking Therese to move in with her. Talk about rushed and too soon.

by Anonymousreply 483May 19, 2016 3:36 AM

R483 That part was weird. The movie was too rushed and upthread it was mentioned that the movie was heavily edited.

by Anonymousreply 484May 19, 2016 7:47 PM

Carol asking Therese to move in with her was totally out of context for where their relationship was at that time. They hadn't spoken for months. Therese transformed a little to fast into career girl mode too and why they tried to make her look like Audrey Hepburn in the end just didn't belong in the story. When Therese asked Carol if she had seen Rindy, Carol dismissively said 'once or twice' -after all the drama about the custody battle Carol just seemed like 'oh, well, yes I've seen my daughter now lets move in together'. What? Some of the editing involved taking out a few scenes where Therese meets Carrie Brownstein at the party and they almost hook up. And when Therese is walking and hailing down a cab she is really going to see Carrie's character until she realizes that Carol is the love of her life. At that point, whatever and if you believe in UFO's maybe you can buy into this too. I wonder how the movie would have turned out with a different director. Also, Haynes seemed like a guy obsessed with dolls too. The first scene has dolls all over the countertop, Therese looks like a doll, etc.

by Anonymousreply 485May 19, 2016 10:21 PM

Another Rooney Mara gif from Carol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 486May 19, 2016 10:24 PM

It's too bad that the movie was heavily edited.

by Anonymousreply 487May 22, 2016 11:30 PM

The cut scenes seem to involve a lot of critical dialogue that was needed to give the story depth and a feeling of passion. Yet a scene that is several minutes long where they drive up to an upscale hotel in Chicago that included a pointless scene of a canned ham in a glass case is left in. The next scene they check out and leave the hotel - all these scenes were virtually absent of any story driven dialogue.

by Anonymousreply 488May 22, 2016 11:54 PM

Rooney is a last name, for someone on 60 Minutes

by Anonymousreply 489February 9, 2017 11:24 AM

Hilarious thread! Full of bitchy shallow queens. You have no idea about lesbians at all. The movie “Carol “ was very typical of lesbians especially first time experience of falling for a woman. It’s pathetic how you judge and criticise. You small-minded bunch of useless pricks.

by Anonymousreply 490February 20, 2018 8:46 PM

R485, you do know that Haynes emerged with a short film called Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story with a cast made up of Barbie dolls, right? Richard Carpenter refused to license the music so it’s basically banned from being screened.

by Anonymousreply 491February 20, 2018 10:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!