Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Would you dare serve pizza at Thanksgiving?

I'm hosting my family and I'm quite tempted to just call for pizza and salad. My treat but why not make life easy?

by Anonymousreply 194October 11, 2022 5:33 AM

Dr Ken did

by Anonymousreply 1November 22, 2015 11:33 PM

Who is Doctor Ken?

by Anonymousreply 2November 22, 2015 11:34 PM

If everyone knows you are serving pizza then there is nothing wrong with it.

If it's a surprise than it is. Thanksgiving is about tradition and people normally equate turkey with that tradition. However if your tradition is different and is known than certainly go ahead and serve it.

Of course take out pizza would be gouche, like ordering a turkey to take out. Homemade is the only way on thanksgiving.

by Anonymousreply 3November 22, 2015 11:35 PM

[quote] Of course take out pizza would be gouche,

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 4November 22, 2015 11:44 PM

It sounds like a fun idea, but if old people are involved they might be disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 5November 22, 2015 11:54 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6November 22, 2015 11:58 PM

If you must make it easy on yourself as the host for your family's thanksgiving, get a couple of giant Stouffers lasagna, do the great salad, garlic texas toast and a couple of yummy desserts from the grocery store.

by Anonymousreply 7November 22, 2015 11:59 PM

I say it's fine as long as your take-out pizza doesn't taste like gooch. Better to stick to ham and pineapple.

by Anonymousreply 8November 23, 2015 12:00 AM

Do you always do Thanksgiving? If so, fine.

But if other people have hosted you and given you the whole spread pizza would be lame on your part.

by Anonymousreply 9November 23, 2015 12:01 AM

Why bother with Thanksgiving at all if that's the way you feel about it?

by Anonymousreply 10November 23, 2015 12:02 AM

Our local supermarket sells full cooked turkey dinner with all trimmings. Maybe yours does too.

by Anonymousreply 11November 23, 2015 12:07 AM

OP is asking if we would "dare" to order carryout pizza for Thanksgiving dinner for his family and wants to make it easy. This doesn't sound like it's their family tradition and would be a surprise and doesn't want to fuss with it.

by Anonymousreply 12November 23, 2015 12:08 AM

The whole idea of Thanksgiving revolves around a special meal. Everyone has pizza just about every week. It better be good.

by Anonymousreply 13November 23, 2015 12:18 AM

What would everyone else eat?

by Anonymousreply 14November 23, 2015 12:20 AM

You should fast OP. That would be the perfect project for Thanksgiving.

by Anonymousreply 15November 23, 2015 12:34 AM

Oh please, Thanksgiving dinner has GOT to be more special than pizza!

Order Chinese.

by Anonymousreply 16November 23, 2015 12:34 AM

Actually, my local pizza place has a Thanksgiving pizza -- Turkey, potatoes, roast squash and cranberry sauce and stuffing as toppings. I had it a few years ago and it was surprisingly good! For dessert they do an apple pie pizza -- caramelized apples on a sweetish crust.

by Anonymousreply 17November 23, 2015 12:39 AM

OP's favorite pizzeria is 7-11.

by Anonymousreply 18November 23, 2015 12:40 AM

I am thinking no but if you call them and let them know ahead of time...order plenty.

by Anonymousreply 19November 23, 2015 12:47 AM

Why are you bothering to host? Just go to a restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 20November 23, 2015 12:49 AM

Hmmm, this is just the kind of thread that could cause a DL riot at Thanksgiving.

Could you pass the EST please?

by Anonymousreply 21November 23, 2015 12:58 AM

R21, oh please.

by Anonymousreply 22November 23, 2015 12:59 AM

Geraldine Whitney at r21 has no idea how many families order in or go out to restaurants on Thanksgiving.

by Anonymousreply 23November 23, 2015 1:05 AM

We go to Cracker Barrel on Thanksgiving and the place is packed.

by Anonymousreply 24November 23, 2015 1:07 AM

Cracker Barrel?

Why not Chick fil a?

Smh

by Anonymousreply 25November 23, 2015 1:40 AM

SERVE??? NO, BUT I WOULD DARE TO BE SERVED PIZZA AT THANKSGIVING.

by Anonymousreply 26November 23, 2015 1:42 AM

Buy a fresh turkey, not frozen, and bake the damn thing.

Thanksgiving is a meal full of cheap sidedishes, you're being lazy.

by Anonymousreply 27November 23, 2015 1:50 AM

It's THANKSgiving. If people aren't thankful for pizza, then fuck 'em.

by Anonymousreply 28November 23, 2015 1:54 AM

Whole Foods prepares a Thanksgiving meal. You can get pre-cooked or oven ready Turkey, pre-cooked sides (no yams though), graxy, stuffing and hour devours. It's pretty reasonable.

by Anonymousreply 29November 23, 2015 1:59 AM

Ever hear of Friendsgiving? Our daughters celebrate Friendsgiving with their best buddies, an additional feast before or after the traditional family feast.

A Friendsgiving is Thanksgiving with no baggage, no family tensions, no aging relatives you fear might expire right there on the couch. At Friendsgiving, no one sits in judgment over that awful spiced bourbon you love or the pajamas you wear to the table or the ribald nature of the conversation.

"It's just a way of adding more meals," one daughter explains, though I suspect Friendsgiving is more than that.

The origin of Friendsgiving is unclear, but some trace it to the sitcom "Friends," which millennials mistook for a documentary. They liked the show because the cast members hardly ever worked and eventually all slept with each other. From this, we now have Tinder.

At their first Friendsgiving of the season, none of my daughter's friends knew how to make a turkey, so they ordered El Pollo Loco. All I can think is that it's a good thing her grandmother is dead, because that alone might've killed her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30November 23, 2015 2:25 AM

I served indian curry one year.

by Anonymousreply 31November 23, 2015 2:29 AM

OP, has it occurred to you that the pizza palace may be closed on Thanksgiving?

If you have a small crew, buy a Perdue chicken. Either way, they're really not that difficult to cook.

by Anonymousreply 32November 23, 2015 2:31 AM

Buy a boneless turkey roast and a ham. Most people probably prefer ham anyway.

by Anonymousreply 33November 23, 2015 2:34 AM

[quote] Buy a boneless turkey roast and a ham. Most people probably prefer ham anyway.

Right, because Jews never celebrate Thanksgiving.

by Anonymousreply 34November 23, 2015 2:48 AM

That's because Jews are so touchy and treat every conversation as an opportunity to add another name to the Southern Poverty Law Center's watch list.

by Anonymousreply 35November 23, 2015 2:52 AM

I had a frozen turkey lean cuisine one year, while watching the Cosby show and Rosanne. My grandfather was in the hospital (he usually made Thanksgiving with my grandmother) with terminal cancer. My mom & her sister didn't want thanksgiving with that going on. Another year, my brother was in a bad car accident...so it's possible I actually did eat pizza (can't remember). It's an odd time of year for me... so pizza isn't out of the question. I wouldn't say "I'm hosting thanksgiving dinner" and invite people - then "surprise - it's dominos!" but shit happens & pizza is reliable...assuming the places are open.

by Anonymousreply 36November 23, 2015 2:55 AM

r9 needs to get with the times.

by Anonymousreply 37November 23, 2015 5:45 AM

[quote](from R33) Most people probably prefer ham anyway.

[quote]Right, because Jews never celebrate Thanksgiving.

Jews aren't "most" people, R34. Climb down off the cross.

by Anonymousreply 38November 23, 2015 6:05 AM

Really R7, Stouffers, and a "great salad"?!? WTF? You have got to be that disgusting McDonald's whore. Lasagna is pretty simple to make unless you're addicted to McDonald's and scat in general. Dominos?? Come on people, lazy and trashy. And you're probably the same ones who hate tattoos and beards. Ugh, some of you people are trash.

by Anonymousreply 39November 23, 2015 6:16 AM

My mom always has pizza. She's super old so it's a fun way to rebell I guess.

by Anonymousreply 40November 23, 2015 6:21 AM

We do tamales in my family for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Then you can buy them at places like Costco and just do pumpkin pie, salad and a couple side dishes.

I used to do the whole turkey thing while my dad was still alive, but I had no help, and it was two days of work. I'm done. Nobody who's left cares and they are super picky and half of them won't eat half of it, so screw it.

by Anonymousreply 41November 23, 2015 6:24 AM

Thanksgiving is mostly prep work -- the trick is to do all that over the days before Thursday. Get the pies and stuffing done the night before,and prep the sides, and on Thursday, all you have to do is stuff the bird and put it in the oven, get the house ready for guests, take out the turkey, pop the sides into the oven while the bird rests, place the sides for serving and carve the bird while the biscuits are baking, and serve.

Hand a niece or nephew $20 and a doobie to clean the kitchen

by Anonymousreply 42November 23, 2015 1:46 PM

I would be livid if this was served to me. I’d still eat it of course, but I’d roll my eyes and make bitchy remarks the entire day.

by Anonymousreply 43November 23, 2020 3:37 PM

R43 - I would take a couple of slices and leave. If you're not going to do your part to make a Thanksgiving meal, then I have no requirement to stay either and pretend that this is sufficient.

Thanksgiving isn't a regular dinner party or get together. Either do your part or don't do it.

by Anonymousreply 44November 23, 2020 3:46 PM

trashy bitch

by Anonymousreply 45November 23, 2020 3:51 PM

Turkey tacos!!!

by Anonymousreply 46November 23, 2020 3:51 PM

The Quartermaine's always end up eating pizza.

by Anonymousreply 47November 23, 2020 3:57 PM

If there’s a good Italian restaurant opening and catering that day, like in South Philly or Brooklyn or the regional like, I recommend just going full Italian. Friends have done this and it’s always been a stupendous meal.

by Anonymousreply 48November 23, 2020 4:04 PM

By a couple of HungryMan Turkey Dinners and offer them to anyone who doesn't want the pizza.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49November 23, 2020 4:08 PM

No, I would not serve pizza. I would also not serve Stouffer's frozen lasagna. I also wouldn't serve a turkey meal that was prepared by Whole Foods.

I think you can get away with serving something other than turkey, but it has to be really, really good and homemade. A good dessert (pie) is a must. Depends on your crowd. If it's a bunch of older people who *always* have turkey at Thanksgiving, you must serve turkey.

I posted about a Stouffer's lasagna at Christmas (another thread) and it was depressing and memorable in a bad way.

by Anonymousreply 50November 23, 2020 4:11 PM

It's an adorable idea.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51November 23, 2020 4:12 PM

Why not? Who the hell cares about traditional thanksgiving?

by Anonymousreply 52November 23, 2020 4:13 PM

[quote] If it's a surprise than it is.

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 53November 23, 2020 4:13 PM

We had pizza for Thanksgiving, but we only ate the cheese for the holiday and saved the crust for Friday.

by Anonymousreply 54November 23, 2020 4:15 PM

[quote] graxy,

It may not be a traditional thanksgiving, but at least DL’s traditions are alive and well.

by Anonymousreply 55November 23, 2020 4:16 PM

I can't wait to hear all the stories about Covid outbreaks in these Datalounger families who are planning to get together for Thanksgiving. I give it a couple of weeks.

by Anonymousreply 56November 23, 2020 4:41 PM

My dog died some days ago so I'm into the anger phase of grief which dictates you eat whatever the fuck I put on the table.

by Anonymousreply 57November 23, 2020 5:19 PM

The Maiden Aunt Brigade Is Not Amused.

Next thing you know OP will not be using coasters before setting down drinks and tossing their hand-crocheted doilies.

But FFS, OP--you know your family.

We don't.

Are they the sort of people who'd be all "Thank You Cousin JonKeith Sebastian! We hate turkey. We'd much rather be eating pizza and watching TV! What a great idea!"

Or would they hiss and roll their eyes and clutch their pearls?

by Anonymousreply 58November 23, 2020 5:25 PM

OP can't set a proper table so what does it matter?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59November 23, 2020 5:30 PM

[quote] The Maiden Aunt Brigade Is Not Amused.

[quote] OP can't set a proper table so what does it matter?

by Anonymousreply 60November 23, 2020 5:32 PM

Wow, I had to check the date on this thread. Not sure why someone bumped it after five years but 2020 is an entirely different ballgame.

Everyone I know is staying home and doing Thanksgiving with their immediate social pod. No one is going out and restaurants may be shut down again except for take out. Many people are out of work and can’t afford a special dinner.

by Anonymousreply 61November 23, 2020 5:34 PM

Dear god, we're talking social pods. When do we wake up from this B horror flick?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62November 23, 2020 5:44 PM

That's like meeting someone for sex and refusing to do anything but sit around and talk about your dog.

by Anonymousreply 63November 23, 2020 5:52 PM

Why not stuff and roast a chicken? Easier than turkey. Add a pie and a really nice salad, a couple of sides.

by Anonymousreply 64November 23, 2020 5:59 PM

The Quartermaine’s always serve pizza on Thanksgiving.

by Anonymousreply 65November 23, 2020 6:03 PM

R57 I'm sorry to hear about your dog. Wishing you comfort and peace.

by Anonymousreply 66November 23, 2020 6:08 PM

I would only serve chicken ranch pizza, or that dominos pizza with the hot dog crust,so that it’s more like the first thanksgiving.

by Anonymousreply 67November 23, 2020 6:29 PM

I would be pissed if I went to someone's house on Thanksgiving and they ordered pizza.

by Anonymousreply 68November 23, 2020 6:32 PM

Well hopefully most DLers are keeping to their own households, so they won't be served or serving, any COVID to anyone.

by Anonymousreply 69November 23, 2020 6:37 PM

Don’t do it, OP. Make this a special day. Life runs by so quickly, it’s nice to, have a special day.

Personally, I wish my family wore formal clothes, at least once every 1-3 years or so, so we can get pictures of us all, dressed nicely.

by Anonymousreply 70November 23, 2020 6:37 PM

r57, grief does not give you carte blanche to make other people miserable.

by Anonymousreply 71November 23, 2020 6:41 PM

I agree with r7. The advantage of lasagna is that you can reheat it or eat it over the course of the day. Pizza doesn't taste great unless you eat it immediately. Fuck tradition, Thanksgiving food is disgusting

by Anonymousreply 72November 23, 2020 6:41 PM

[quote] Pizza doesn't taste great unless you eat it immediately.

You’ve never lived in a dorm, have you?

Cold pizza is great!

by Anonymousreply 73November 23, 2020 6:54 PM

None of us is going anywhere or having anybody over for Thanksgiving dinner, but its comforting to shit on OP.

by Anonymousreply 74November 23, 2020 7:08 PM

There is nothing difficult about preparing a traditional Thanksgiving dinner. Don’t stuff the turkey and don’t baste it, and it will cook evenly and on time.

by Anonymousreply 75November 23, 2020 7:12 PM

I'd actually be fine with pizza, but my partner is upset that he can't be with his parents and his kids this year, so I am actually making "real" Thanksgiving food. No, it won't be all from scratch like a lot of DLers make, but at least it'll have some semblance of a "real" Thanksgiving.

by Anonymousreply 76November 23, 2020 10:39 PM

That’s nice of you, r76.

You’re a prince.

by Anonymousreply 77November 23, 2020 11:14 PM

Sounds Gr8 to me!

by Anonymousreply 78November 23, 2020 11:17 PM

God knows what OP did for Thanksgiving 2015 (probably prepare a full, normal Thanksgiving dinner, because "fuck it, I'll just order pizza" is the sort of thing fed-up people say but almost never actually do).

For this Thanksgiving, if you don't want to bake a whole turkey (or a turkey breast, which is more suitable for a small group), make something very simple. Steak, baked potato, salad and bread, if you know everybody eats meat. Store-bought pie or cake. This will not satisfy those who expect a full Thanksgiving dinner, so they should be warned. It will also not satisfy the many queens above who think your meal has to be "special" ... but nothing would, so it's pointless to bother.

by Anonymousreply 79November 23, 2020 11:56 PM

Most local pizza places are closed on Thanksgiving. Unless there's an Italian restaurant that does good pizza (not a given) and is open on Thanksgiving, it's likely to be Domino's, Pizza Hut or Papa John's. Make of that what you will.

by Anonymousreply 80November 24, 2020 12:00 AM

If you are hosting people this year and don’t plan to serve a traditional Thanksgiving dinner, at the very least you are obligated to let them know in advance. I’m not risking my life for pizza.

by Anonymousreply 81November 24, 2020 12:01 AM

Chicken with your fingers? OK at a backyard barbeque but never at a formal dinner

by Anonymousreply 82November 24, 2020 12:03 AM

I would order out Chinese.

by Anonymousreply 83November 24, 2020 7:58 PM

Anyone who is hosting a crowd or traveling to join one deserves to die in a Covid ward with a tube down their throat, alone and in agony.

by Anonymousreply 84November 24, 2020 8:23 PM

R83, I think more people dislike or don't eat Chinese than dislike pizza. Chinese is also a problem for people who are allergic to shellfish. I do agree that you can make a Chinese carryout order into a feast, which you can't really do with pizza.

by Anonymousreply 85November 24, 2020 10:45 PM

I might consider using left over ham and tinned pineapple as homemade pizza toppings for left overs.

by Anonymousreply 86February 16, 2021 5:30 PM

R86, please throw yourself into the nearest grease fire and die for bumping this thread in February with such an inane response.

by Anonymousreply 87February 16, 2021 5:42 PM

Honey, I would serve my family FROZEN pizza at Thanksgiving.

by Anonymousreply 88February 16, 2021 5:52 PM

R88 You must either hate turkey or your family.

by Anonymousreply 89July 17, 2021 3:06 AM

I have two questions...

by Anonymousreply 90July 17, 2021 3:08 AM

I served pineapple at Christmas and got away with it!

by Anonymousreply 91July 17, 2021 3:09 AM

Blasphemous!

by Anonymousreply 92July 17, 2021 3:10 AM

What next, Chinese for Christmas?

by Anonymousreply 93July 17, 2021 3:11 AM

R93 Jews actually do that.

by Anonymousreply 94July 17, 2021 3:12 AM

r94, so sorry you didn't get it in the first place.

Sarcasm is elusive in the written word.

by Anonymousreply 95July 17, 2021 3:16 AM

Always nice to see another cunt here on DL...c'mon OP...PIZZA FOR TURKEY DAY? What kind of lazy ass are you?

by Anonymousreply 96July 17, 2021 3:22 AM

Wtf? 2015! Fuck you Troll 5846 aka Defacto!

by Anonymousreply 97July 17, 2021 3:22 AM

Are you CRAZY, OP?

No!

One does not ever serve pizza to company unless hosting a Super Bowl party, and even then!

by Anonymousreply 98July 17, 2021 3:23 AM

I don't see any problem with it.

by Anonymousreply 99July 17, 2021 3:33 AM

Mary OP, you [italic]dassn't!![/italic]

by Anonymousreply 100July 17, 2021 3:36 AM

R98 What would you serve at a Super Bowl party?

by Anonymousreply 101July 18, 2021 4:09 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 102October 17, 2021 4:51 AM

Go ahead, fuck 'em.

by Anonymousreply 103October 17, 2021 4:57 AM

We did frozen lasagna from Costco last year. It surprisingly was a big hit.

by Anonymousreply 104October 17, 2021 5:02 AM

R104 I can't imagine it was good?

by Anonymousreply 105October 17, 2021 5:03 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106October 17, 2021 5:06 AM

I would not rely on a pizza place to delivery timely on thanksgiving.

Italian-Americans do serve pizza and lasagna all the time for celebrations. My tradition is to also serve Turkey and all the America sides too. To be honest, it was too much food. It was WEEKS OF Planning, DAYS of prep and cooking, but they loved it.

HOw many people do you have coming? Then, we can give you so ideas.

by Anonymousreply 107October 17, 2021 5:07 AM

I’m making DL’s favorite - Breakfast Sausage Lasagna.

by Anonymousreply 108October 17, 2021 5:13 AM

I am no cook, but turkey is so easy to make. You could always buy the sides.

by Anonymousreply 109October 17, 2021 5:49 AM

[quote] We did frozen lasagna from Costco last year. It surprisingly was a big hit.

I've posted my frozen lasagne Christmas story in another thread. Don't do this. It's depressing. If you don't want to roast a turkey, make something special. Order 7 courses from your favorite Chinese restaurant or whatever you like. If anyone says frozen lasagne is great, they're probably being polite to the host.

by Anonymousreply 110October 17, 2021 5:55 AM

r110 somebody above said to do Stouffers lasagna. WTF? I would be pissed if somebody served me that crap.

by Anonymousreply 111October 17, 2021 5:57 AM

Agree, R111. I'll repeat my Christmas story here. It was the first Christmas after my mom died. I traveled (plane ride) for Christmas and stayed with an old friend who was in a bad mood the whole trip. Friend made frozen lasagne for Christmas dinner. Friend's sister brought over salad with a bag of prepared croutons. It was a memorably sad and depressing Christmas. I would have rather stayed at home, by myself, and eaten something special of my own choosing.

by Anonymousreply 112October 17, 2021 6:02 AM

Make a Thanksgiving turkey cake for dessert!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113October 17, 2021 6:08 AM

[quote]My treat but why not make life easy?

Because by "making life easy" for yourself, you'll be telling your family you don't give a shit about them. They, in turn, will make your life hell. So, sure, go ahead and serve them pizza. And then come back to DL and give us a full report on what a disaster it was.

by Anonymousreply 114October 17, 2021 6:11 AM

No.

by Anonymousreply 115October 17, 2021 6:13 AM

People should be thankful to have family and friends who invite them to get together for a meal instead of being nasty to each other about exactly what items are served. If I felt like hosting Thanksgiving dinner and announced ahead of time it was a pizza party, people would be free to either come and enjoy the celebration with the joy intended, or fuck right off and do something else.

by Anonymousreply 116October 17, 2021 6:23 AM

R116 why did you offer to host if it was just gonna be pizza? Maybe someone else wants to host now because you stole the holiday and you don’t even want the holiday because you’re serving pizza.

by Anonymousreply 117October 18, 2021 2:50 AM

I realize this was posted six years ago, but OP is [italic]still[/italic] worse than Hitler. 👹

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118October 18, 2021 6:08 AM

R117 I didn't. I have never hosted Thanksgiving at my house. I said IF. And IF I offered to host, people could either to participate or do something else.

by Anonymousreply 119October 18, 2021 6:13 AM

what is the menu OP?

by Anonymousreply 120October 18, 2021 6:19 AM

If you don't want to serve turkey, OP, might I suggest that you serve your family poached cod in tomato sauce with prunes?

by Anonymousreply 121October 18, 2021 7:18 AM

Pizza'a greasy kids stuff, OP. If I want to push the boat out I serve Darfur Orphans I grow in my back yard. They're organic, and their leftover bones are a big hit Thanksgiving weekend when I make my famous soup for the holidays!

by Anonymousreply 122October 18, 2021 7:30 AM

Cracker Barrel is usually open on Thanksgiving, come one, come all! Or just pick up the food for your own spreader event!👍

by Anonymousreply 123October 18, 2021 8:17 AM

Thanksgiving is a time to give thanks for being thin and sexy. It is meant to cleanse the systems of our body and reset them for the upcoming new year. Thus, you should serve laxatives, stool softeners, prune juice, and lemon water shooters. The goal is to leave the dinner table more dehydrated and with more bone loss than you were to start with!

by Anonymousreply 124October 18, 2021 9:14 AM

It's our holiday goto. Pizza isn't a frequent thing here, so we enjoy gorging ourselves like fat pigs once in a while.

by Anonymousreply 125October 18, 2021 9:43 AM

Hot r125

by Anonymousreply 126October 18, 2021 12:56 PM

[quote]Cracker Barrel is usually open on Thanksgiving, come one, come all! Or just pick up the food for your own spreader event!👍

It's not 2020 anymore. People who are vaccinated are not creating "spreader events" by getting together for dinner. Try to keep up hon.

by Anonymousreply 127October 18, 2021 6:30 PM

They are where I live, R127. We have the worst COVID in my state, so go to your Cracker Barrel and enjoy it. I know people who died from it, one of them two months ago, hon.

by Anonymousreply 128October 19, 2021 6:13 AM

Everyone actually hates turkey breast, which is inevitably dry and tasteless when cooked as part of a whole bird, so I suggest just buying turkey thighs and drumsticks. They stay moist through a lot of cooking and can also be cooked in a slow cooker without suffering any damage to taste or texture. Personally, I prefer duck, and would make that for any Thanksgiving for just 3 or 4 people. Tastier, moister, more flavorful, better texture.

by Anonymousreply 129October 19, 2021 7:42 AM

Why not, a really good Pizza is high end culinary art.

Serve it with some nice Italian antipasti as a starter, a fresh mixed salad to go with the Pizza and round it off with Tiramisu or a good torta and an espresso.

by Anonymousreply 130October 19, 2021 8:06 AM

[quote]or a good torta

R130 = Ina Garten.

by Anonymousreply 131October 19, 2021 8:41 AM

Torta is Italian, as is tiramisu, pizza, espresso and antipasti.

by Anonymousreply 132October 19, 2021 9:02 AM

[quote] Everyone actually hates turkey breast, which is inevitably dry and tasteless when cooked as part of a whole bird, so I suggest just buying turkey thighs and drumsticks.

I prefer the breast meat, with gravy, of course. Lots of people in my family will choose the breast meat first.

by Anonymousreply 133October 19, 2021 9:45 AM

Serve the Pizza with some nice rancid cheezy puffs, braised fish heads and GREGG’s Bechamel sauce, apple sauce garnished with hot sauce, and a dessert of sugar laden canned fruit on wilted lettuce?

Enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 134October 19, 2021 10:21 AM

Turkey topping should do it.

by Anonymousreply 135October 19, 2021 10:28 AM

r135 How DOES one top a turkey, other than carefully? 😉

by Anonymousreply 136October 19, 2021 10:31 AM

I was going to post about my Thanksgiving last year, but then I realized I’d already posted at r76.

It wound up being a nice day. Partner doesn’t cook at all, and I’m a vegetarian, but I still made him a little turkey breast. Even bought that gross jarred graxy he likes. You can buy pretty decent frozen sides now..sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, rolls, etc. Things I never eat, but they were fine.

We will be doing thanksgiving with his family this year. All my relatives are dead, live too far away, or are MAGA, so it’s nice to be with a big family. Of course, all families have a little drama. My partner and his mom always get worked up by things his sister in law says and does. She is ridiculous but I like her, and I drink so much red wine that nothing bothers me.

by Anonymousreply 137October 19, 2021 10:59 AM

OP. sure. It's a tradition for the Quartermaines of Port Charles, NY.

by Anonymousreply 138October 19, 2021 11:29 AM

Thanksgiving pizza.

Take a pizza crust, spread mashed potatoes, then turkey and finally dab it with cranberry sauce.

by Anonymousreply 139October 19, 2021 12:33 PM

[quote]Everyone actually hates turkey breast, which is inevitably dry and tasteless when cooked as part of a whole bird, so I suggest just buying turkey thighs and drumsticks

The breast meat is the only part I will eat. The thighs, wings, and drumsticks are nasty and I can't tolerate them.

by Anonymousreply 140October 19, 2021 7:04 PM

Give them the best of both worlds and serve a Cranberry, Brie and Turkey Pizza, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141October 19, 2021 9:02 PM

[quote] The breast meat is the only part I will eat.

Hi Armie. We were just talking about you!

by Anonymousreply 142October 20, 2021 2:02 AM

Jesus, OP, just call Gelson's or whatever upscale grocery store is nearby and order a complete turkey dinner with all the sides and blah blah blah. Just go pick it up the day before and you're done.

You don't have to cook turkey and they don't have to get stuck eating pizza.

Also, it's a month in advance. Just tell them you don't want to host. Job done.

by Anonymousreply 143October 20, 2021 2:08 AM

R65 beat me to it.

by Anonymousreply 144October 20, 2021 2:13 AM

As I posted on our thread on this same topic last year (a year already!), just get everyone a Marie Callender's turkey pot pie. Easy to cook and delicious. Some cranberry and a pumpkin pie and you're all set.

by Anonymousreply 145October 20, 2021 2:24 AM

r129 nobody in my family wants the dark meat, they all want breast meat. You just need plenty of gravy to go with it.

by Anonymousreply 146October 20, 2021 2:31 AM

Buy a Jennie O turkey breast, super easy to make and we usually cook 2 of them together.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147October 20, 2021 2:34 AM

Why not? We’re thinking of ordering Szechuan!

by Anonymousreply 148October 20, 2021 3:08 AM

[quote]Jesus, OP, just call Gelson's or whatever upscale grocery store is nearby and order a complete turkey dinner with all the sides and blah blah blah. Just go pick it up the day before and you're done.

If you order from Gelson's, make sure to ask them to include some of their potato salad. You'll thank me later!

by Anonymousreply 149October 20, 2021 4:45 AM

I dare any of these "breast meat lovers" to gag it down without a drop of gravy. If you have to smother something in gravy to make it moist and edible, there's something lacking. Just sayin'

by Anonymousreply 150October 20, 2021 6:58 AM

I need to decide by this weekend if I'm gonna surprise my family and show up for Thanksgiving this year. If I did and they served pizza, I'd get right back on the plane and come home.

by Anonymousreply 151October 20, 2021 7:01 AM

R150 not everybody needs to have their meat smothered in jizz to get it down without gagging.

by Anonymousreply 152October 20, 2021 7:02 AM

But r150 is right. R146's family doesn't actually like the breast meat, they just like the gravy.

by Anonymousreply 153October 20, 2021 7:04 AM

OP, you BETTER HADN'T DARE!

by Anonymousreply 154October 20, 2021 7:04 AM

There's just some irrational preferences on Thanksgiving, like dry turkey breast, yes, with gravy. Frankly, I prefer all the sides (stuffing / dressing), but if there's no turkey, including the white meat, I'd feel like something was greatly missing. My family also likes that canned cranberry sauce plopped on a plate. I don't really like that. One Thanksgiving, I made a really nice Brussels sprouts dish with apples and blue cheese and people didn't really like it.

by Anonymousreply 155October 20, 2021 7:07 AM

[quote]One Thanksgiving, I made a really nice Brussels sprouts dish with apples and blue cheese and people didn't really like it.

Are you Greg?

by Anonymousreply 156October 20, 2021 7:09 AM

R155 I like the traditional stuff too, but your family sounds lame! That Brussels Sprouts dish sounds divine.

by Anonymousreply 157October 20, 2021 7:12 AM

Part of the problem may have been that a lot of people have an aversion to Brussels sprouts, whatever they may be doused with.

by Anonymousreply 158October 20, 2021 7:34 AM

Thanks, R157. It is a lame situation, sometimes. Don’t laugh, but we had a disagreement about pies as well. I said we should have 2 pecan pies; my bossy cousin said 1 is enough. She likes pumpkin pie and ordained that we will have 2 pumpkin pies. Pumpkin pie is okay, but come on: pecan pie is just more fucking delicious. Guess what ran out very early: pecan pie. The younger people were wanting seconds before the old people even had 1sts.

by Anonymousreply 159October 20, 2021 7:38 AM

Stuffing, turkey, gravy pizza!

WTF not?

by Anonymousreply 160October 20, 2021 7:43 AM

Costco has a great stuffed turkey breast that is surprisingly easy and only takes 90 min in the oven.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161October 20, 2021 7:44 AM

Here's an idea: have a "traditional" Thanksgiving spread and add pizza as a side! Do it all!

by Anonymousreply 162October 20, 2021 7:45 AM

I eat pizza at least once a week and though it is my favorite food I look forward to the traditional Thanksgiving meal every year.

Turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, vegetable (bonus if it’s green bean casserole), and a roll. Pumpkin pie with a lot of whipped cream for dessert. Those are the musts for me. I don’t care about sweet potatoes or cranberry sauce.

by Anonymousreply 163October 20, 2021 10:14 AM

Great idea for a first course at Thanksgiving , a homemade Brussels Sprouts, pancetta, smoked mozzerellaand balsamic glaze pizza with a brush of garlic oil on the base. Thanks for the inspiration op!

by Anonymousreply 164October 20, 2021 11:09 AM

How DARE you celebrate Thanksgiving you racist, colonialist, white-privileged fat piece of shit! Die asshole, die!!!

by Anonymousreply 165October 20, 2021 11:41 AM

r164 if I served that my family would revolt

by Anonymousreply 166October 20, 2021 12:08 PM

How very DARE you, OP!

by Anonymousreply 167October 20, 2021 12:13 PM

I made thai curry one year

by Anonymousreply 168October 20, 2021 12:18 PM

It is totally not acceptable and I am honestly stunned at the amount of DLers saying that it is.

I personally feel even not serving turkey is inappropriate, however I could let it slide is you provided a high quality meat, and let everyone know ahead of time in case someone wants to volunteer to bring a turkey.

But having pizza, Chinese, or any other non sit down, non festive meal is disrespectful to the guest. There are some things that are expected for certain occasions. Thanksgiving food on thanksgiving is one of them.

by Anonymousreply 169October 20, 2021 12:22 PM

R169 - Would Swanson's frozen Thanksgiving dinners be acceptable? I was going to go with Hungry Man brand, but thought I'd up my game a bit. I plan to make popcorn for dessert.

by Anonymousreply 170October 20, 2021 12:25 PM

Boyfriend's mother and sister don't like turkey so we also make ham, but we always have turkey on Thanksgiving. It's the only time I eat it and it's a treat.

by Anonymousreply 171October 20, 2021 12:35 PM

[quote] Italian-Americans do serve pizza and lasagna all the time for celebrations. My tradition is to also serve Turkey and all the America sides too. To be honest, it was too much food. It was WEEKS OF Planning, DAYS of prep and cooking, but they loved it.

My family did something similar, R107. When I was a child, on Thanksgiving we would have Italian-American food at 1:00 (Antipasti; Escarole soup with tiny meatballs; Ravioli with meatballs, lamb, and sausage; Braciole; Salad; & Bread. Then in the evening we would have the traditional Thanksgiving fare. As you say, it took days of planning and my mother, aunt, and grandmother were in the kitchen the entire day. It was also way too much food to eat in one day. One year it was decided to split up these two meals and we began a tradition of having what became known as "Italian Thanksgiving" on the Sunday afternoon following Thanksgiving. It was a smart thing to do and it also prolonged the holiday.

by Anonymousreply 172October 20, 2021 1:15 PM

[quote] One Thanksgiving, I made a really nice Brussels sprouts dish with apples and blue cheese and people didn't really like it. Are you Greg?

No, that wasn't me. I would hesitate to serve something with blue cheese on Thanksgiving. Lots of people don't like it. I try to keep things pretty traditional for that meal.

by Anonymousreply 173October 20, 2021 1:18 PM

R159 hmmm I have to disagree with both of you. I think for Thanksgiving it has to be Apple Pie.

by Anonymousreply 174October 20, 2021 3:09 PM

[quote] I eat pizza at least once a week

Pizza is what I miss most from NYC. It simply isn’t served in parts of the country that aren’t the Northeast.

by Anonymousreply 175October 20, 2021 3:12 PM

[quote]Torta is Italian, as is tiramisu, pizza, espresso and antipasti.

Oh, caro.

by Anonymousreply 176October 20, 2021 3:59 PM

[quote]Would Swanson's frozen Thanksgiving dinners be acceptable? I was going to go with Hungry Man brand, but thought I'd up my game a bit. I plan to make popcorn for dessert.

Hungry Man dinners are still sold. Swanson's dinners are not. Anyway, you had it backward. Swanson's was the down-market brand.

by Anonymousreply 177October 20, 2021 6:21 PM

[quote]hmmm I have to disagree with both of you. I think for Thanksgiving it has to be Apple Pie.

We always had both apple and pumpkin. Why limit yourself to one kind of pie on Thanksgiving if you're having guests?

by Anonymousreply 178October 20, 2021 6:26 PM

r178, I couldn't agree more. Apple, pumpkin, pecan - even cherry. All good, all delicious, all appropriate.

The real Thanksgiving issue in 2021 revolves around meat, with so many vegetarians about. Tofurky doesn't really cut it. If the vegetarians are willing to watch other people around them eating meat and can content themselves with the generous sides, no problem. But life gets dicier if they demand not to be exposed to the sight of meat at the table.

by Anonymousreply 179October 20, 2021 6:30 PM

[quote] [R159] hmmm I have to disagree with both of you. I think for Thanksgiving it has to be Apple Pie.

R174, I love apple pie, but pumpkin and pecan are traditional in my family. My sister once made sweet potato pie (in addition to the pumpkin & pecan): SwPP not a hit. My family can be very boring about what they want to eat on Thanksgiving, even if the "basics" are firmly in place.

by Anonymousreply 180October 20, 2021 6:33 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 181October 22, 2021 4:50 AM

brussels sprouts are terrible. I made two side dishes last year of them, both SUCKED. Who is behind the push of brussels sprouts? Do NOT fail for it.

by Anonymousreply 182October 22, 2021 5:01 AM

Not as the main dish, but jokingly as an appetizer. Everyone can call it their pre dinner Whopper. They'll gobble it up.

by Anonymousreply 183October 22, 2021 5:02 AM

[quote] brussels sprouts are terrible. I made two side dishes last year of them, both SUCKED. Who is behind the push of brussels sprouts? Do NOT fail for it.

Maybe you just haven't found the right recipe yet. I typically do one of two things with Brussels sprouts.

1). Remove all the leaves from your Brussels sprouts and then very quickly drop in boiling, salted water. After 30 seconds shock them by removing from boiling water and place in a bowl of ice water. After thy have cooled down, drain and spread the leaves out on a large towel to absorb moisture. Then before serving, heat up in a large sauté pan with brown butter and sprinkle with Maldon Salt and some freshly ground black pepper.

2). Cut Brussels sprouts in half and toss in light olive oil. Heat a sauté pan to medium and when hot, place the sprouts in the pan, cut side down. Keep any eye on them and turn when nice and brown. At the end, add a squirt of Sriracha sauce and a small spoonful of orange marmalade and continue to stir over the heat. Sprinkle with Maldon Salt at the end.

by Anonymousreply 184October 22, 2021 1:38 PM

I had this crunchy Brussels sprout tapa once that was to die for!

by Anonymousreply 185October 22, 2021 1:45 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186October 22, 2021 8:33 PM

A British friend of mine made Brussel Sprouts once as part of her American Thanksgiving dinner party. Absolutely horrid, and swore me off those nasty buggers for the rest of my life. Yes, I've been told by friends and family how wonderful they are when made right but I just can't -- same thing with slimy collard greens I had once at Sylvia's in Harlem. Never again. I do love spinach and broccoli and other veggies, but those two are non-starters for me.

by Anonymousreply 187October 23, 2021 12:53 PM

R175. I beg to differ

by Anonymousreply 188October 23, 2021 1:11 PM

R188 No reasonable person thinks this is pizza or would allow it on their Thanskgiving table.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189November 13, 2021 7:32 PM

My nephew is hosting a three-generation Thanksgiving. He's told everyone it will be traditional BUT pizza will also be available. I think it's a great idea not only for the kids but - depending on all the side dishes - many of us might prefer a slice of pizza as a side. Great idea.

by Anonymousreply 190November 14, 2021 3:00 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 191November 25, 2021 6:25 AM

I'll be home alone on Thanksgiving.

Maybe I'll take everyone's suggestion about the Italian-American Thanksgiving and open a can of Chef-Boyardee.

by Anonymousreply 192November 25, 2021 7:13 AM

One year, my dad was out of the country on business for Thanksgiving. My mom & I went into the city, saw La Cage Au Folles at an art house (the original French movie - long before the musical & The Birdcage) and then had Thanksgiving dinner at a small restaurant in the West Village. I had duck, she had lobster. I was like 15 or 16 and it was one of the best Thanksgivings ever.

by Anonymousreply 193November 25, 2021 7:20 AM

BUMP

by Anonymousreply 194October 11, 2022 5:33 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!