Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Three things I'm done with in San Francisco

1. Drivers not using turn signals 2. Girls wearing backpacks in bars 3. Uber drivers asking how my day is going

by Anonymousreply 29July 8, 2020 6:22 PM

It has hills, too. And it's pricy. And there's a water shortage. What's not to hate?

by Anonymousreply 1November 22, 2015 6:04 PM

What about the human poop everywhere?

by Anonymousreply 2November 22, 2015 6:08 PM

"NY transplant in SF going on three years"

I trust that you refuse to wear the flower in your hair.

by Anonymousreply 3November 22, 2015 6:08 PM

I'm done with San Francisco entirely.

by Anonymousreply 4November 22, 2015 6:30 PM

I've never forgiven San Francisco's St. Francis for: 1. The hideous 1972 tower addition to the hotel and equally hideous extension of the lobby incorporating the tower 2. The 2004 redesign of the beautiful Beaux Arts lobby 3. Closing the Compass Rose restaurant

by Anonymousreply 5November 22, 2015 6:30 PM

Attractive cities built on hills: Pittsburgh, Lisbon, Monte Carlo, Lausanne, Santiago, Funchal, Rome, etc. SF is a lovely town but nothing but how unliveable it is for the past 2 decades. Lived there 9 months in the 80s and went contentedly back to NYC.

by Anonymousreply 6November 22, 2015 6:32 PM

R1 and R2, those are the obvious ones, which were expected.

by Anonymousreply 7November 22, 2015 6:49 PM

People shouldn't take backpacks in bars? Tssss.

by Anonymousreply 8November 22, 2015 6:51 PM

4) straights in the Castro

by Anonymousreply 9November 22, 2015 7:08 PM

R8, people can bring whatever they want into a bar, but if someone brings a backpack he/she needs to remove it from his/her body before choosing a place to stand and drink.

by Anonymousreply 10November 22, 2015 7:25 PM

What about people smelling their own farts?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 22, 2015 8:14 PM

Just the the 3, dear?

by Anonymousreply 12November 22, 2015 9:24 PM

[6] Why did you find San Francisco unlivable?

by Anonymousreply 13November 24, 2015 3:22 AM

Great place to visit (Castro and the Exploratorium), but I want my visit next summer to be short and sweet.

by Anonymousreply 14November 24, 2015 3:59 AM

Lived in SF 11 years. Enough was enough. Don't miss it one bit; what I actually miss are the areas around it - the beaches, trails, etc. But the city itself has way more "cons" than "pros" and I'll never be convinced it's a culinary mecca. It's full of trends and pretentiousness at exorbitant prices. The day you pay $20 for chicken thighs, time to get your head examined.

by Anonymousreply 15November 24, 2015 4:09 AM

I am R6 SF was NOT unliveable R13. I was young and SF is small and not for generalists. You need a specific skill to be middle class. There are a lot of "underemployed" people. NYC at the time was the opposite. If you have a brain and work hard, NYC loves you and finds professional uses for you and you rise and shine and sparkly.

2nd. NYC is about money and I experienced SF (it was the 80s) to be about lifestyle and oddly provincial. Everyone telling you why their lifestyle choice was so great. NYC you find yourself with unusual bed-partners - friends lovers etc but SF is cliquish.

by Anonymousreply 16November 24, 2015 5:01 AM

And finally, SF is small so can suffer for the size. It was the 80s and AIDs was experienced in a different way on a daily basis in the in NYC. It was not THE spectre of life in NY but SF had a bombed out feeling for a number of years.

by Anonymousreply 17November 24, 2015 5:07 AM

It used to be filled with artists and now it's filled with techies. Just not the same.

by Anonymousreply 18November 24, 2015 5:10 AM

Techies suck.

by Anonymousreply 19November 25, 2015 9:59 PM

I got tired of banging Mexicans in SF. So good to be back to the blacks boys and Puerto Ricans of NYC.

by Anonymousreply 20November 25, 2015 10:07 PM

The homeless people are so aggressive in SF. If you don't give them money, they keep following and harassing you until you do

by Anonymousreply 21November 25, 2015 10:20 PM

I left after Judy Barton got splattered all over the Mission grounds.

by Anonymousreply 22November 25, 2015 10:43 PM

It's a lazy city. Where's the drive?

by Anonymousreply 23November 25, 2015 10:58 PM

I loved SF when I was there but I was also severely hyper-adrenalized worrying for my safety. I could not stop worrying that peeps were going to slash or rob me.

by Anonymousreply 24October 23, 2016 10:21 PM

is San Francisco really as progressive and gay friendly as its made out to be. I mean I know its the most gay friendly American city but thats not saying much.

by Anonymousreply 25October 23, 2016 10:29 PM

OP, I get a kick out of anyone from New York or New Jersey commenting on other people's failure to use turn signals.

by Anonymousreply 26October 23, 2016 11:00 PM

When did wearing backpacks become cool? I couldn’t wait until I no longer had to.

by Anonymousreply 27July 8, 2020 5:54 PM

I always hated the fog when I lived there. The city was always cold and damp.

by Anonymousreply 28July 8, 2020 6:05 PM

SF elder native here, moved 60 miles north 20 ago. The city I was born in no longer exists. Every passing decade made it a different experience. I still love it but it's not the same place I knew as a child and teen.

Went to the Women's March in 2017. Found easy parking and walked over a mile to the Civic Center. Had breakfast in Toast on Polk St. A fabulous day among kindred spirits. Too bad it's so damn expensive now, not just SF but surrounding counties. A travesty for the middle class and economically challenged. The homeless were always a problem but truly in dire straights now.

Visited Sausalito two weeks ago in the age of Covid. Place was deserted, shops closed. Still enough open to have some fun and a nice deli sandwich outside on the bay.

I love this region, but also love other places I visit. We're just so lucky to be alive on beautiful planet earth before the whole thing incinerates. It's hard on the soul to live in blighted areas.

by Anonymousreply 29July 8, 2020 6:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!