Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Have you been in a long distance relationship?

How did it work out?

A guy I've been seeing for six months is going to be relocating to another part of the country on a work assignment for the better part of a year. Things have been going really well and I'd like to keep the relationship going, but I have my doubts about the viability of a long distance relationship. I'd appreciate your advice.

by Anonymousreply 19April 21, 2021 11:13 PM

It'll drive you nuts in due time.

Don't do it.

by Anonymousreply 1November 19, 2015 10:38 PM

Give it the college try for a few months and see. Don't torture yourself if it doesn't pan out.

For me, 6 months into something I want SEX SEX SEX.. i wouldn't put up with no sex because of distance. Only maybe if I was already convinced it was a great love and worth sacrifice. Is it?

by Anonymousreply 2November 19, 2015 10:43 PM

Yes. It didn't.

by Anonymousreply 3November 19, 2015 10:54 PM

I was on the east coast of the U.S., he was in Berlin. It lasted two years.

Probably wouldn't have been that long if he didn't have 8 weeks per year time off.

by Anonymousreply 4November 19, 2015 10:56 PM

I enjoyed it, but I have many things I enjoy doing on my own. It was nice to see each other when we could.

It probably depends on whether you and your partner are committed to making it work, and whether your personalities and needs can allow it to happen.

by Anonymousreply 5November 19, 2015 10:57 PM

NBC anchor Tom Roberts had an LD romance for five years with the man who eventually became his husband.

by Anonymousreply 6November 19, 2015 11:02 PM

Long-Distance relationships are fantasies. Find a boyfriend within twenty miles.

by Anonymousreply 7November 19, 2015 11:03 PM

Yes. Dated a submariner for about 5 years. No longer together. I like LDR's. We both have our own lives, and make it work.

by Anonymousreply 8November 19, 2015 11:03 PM

It's like dating an inmate.

by Anonymousreply 9November 19, 2015 11:07 PM

I say that while he's away remain friends and pick back up when you are near him again. You all already have a foundation with each other so don't stress yourselves out trying to do the impossible.

by Anonymousreply 10November 19, 2015 11:09 PM

"It's not a relationship; it's the promise of a relationship."

Agree or disagree?

by Anonymousreply 11November 20, 2015 12:25 AM

OP, why don't you quit your job and just move with him? Just tell him that you will make the sacrifice for him, but he has take care of you since you won't be working. See if he will go for it.

by Anonymousreply 12November 20, 2015 1:21 AM

Yes. But only at close range.

by Anonymousreply 13November 20, 2015 7:20 AM

Yes. I dated a man in the military. We were separated several times for a year, tho we did see eachother during the time we were separated. We had an agreement/understanding that we would be emotionally monogamous but understood that because of the distance involved we probably wouldn't be physically monogamous. It worked for us, we've been together for twelve years now.

by Anonymousreply 14November 20, 2015 8:55 AM

In my experience, long-distance relationships work if you are willing to travel at least once every 3 weeks to see each other. It's very doable: if each partner travels once a month, you'll be spending every other weekend together. IMO this can only last for a while (a year or so), but it's definitely a test. There are many advantages to a long-distance relationship - you become more organised, more focussed, and you mostly get the "good" parts of the relationship, like an extended honeymoon.

by Anonymousreply 15November 20, 2015 9:37 AM

I had an LDR that lasted nearly 3 years. I grew to hate the sound of the phone ringing. He would call me three times a day, every single day. I felt like I was being kept on an invisible leash. These long-distance arrangements are largely based on fantasy and 'what if'. There's a lot of planning: 'won;t it be great when we can live together?' etc and a lot of planning trips together to 'make up' for all the time you spend apart.And a lot of frantic sex when you do get together. None of it is anything like a normal, real life relationship. It's probably only for people who don't really want to be in a couple but who want to be able to talk about their ''boyfriend' .

by Anonymousreply 16November 20, 2015 9:48 AM

I was in one for nearly five years. Don't do it unless the separation is for a short period of time.

by Anonymousreply 17November 21, 2015 4:54 AM

No. I don’t think I could deal with all the phone calls. I hate talking on the phone.

by Anonymousreply 18April 21, 2021 11:00 PM

I don’t see the point. If one of you isn’t willing to follow the other, or turn down a far away job, there’s no important connection.

Move on.

by Anonymousreply 19April 21, 2021 11:13 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!