Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Movie "Shelter"

The fave of many. But I don't understand the title.

Plus the whole "economic class" message seems very garbled and ridiculous. Dude has his own car, his own house, a thousand dollars of surfing gear, and a thousand dollars of spray paint. On the salary of a short order cook at a diner with just a few tables, a single Mom sister who is a supermarket checker, and a dependent Dad. Um, no.

by Anonymousreply 17March 17, 2018 6:05 PM

Yes, how unusual of Shelter. Usually movies and TV shows so accurately portray the amount of money and lifestyle people in low paying jobs actually have.

by Anonymousreply 1November 17, 2015 3:33 PM

OP why not simply say "I don't understand anything".

by Anonymousreply 2November 17, 2015 3:48 PM

One of the big things that work in Shelter's favor is 1) It actually has a HAPPY ending 2) The characters are just normal guys, it isn't full of the cliche gay stereotypes.

It was one of the more powerful movies for me to watch when I first came out, I know many guys feel the same way.

Critically, I can see it's flaws. But it is the best "coming out" movie, and I think understandly a classic among gay guys.

by Anonymousreply 3November 17, 2015 5:58 PM

OP, go watch the gay movie "Hawaii" and figure out what the title meant. It was not filmed in and has little to do with Hawaii. Pineapples!

by Anonymousreply 4November 17, 2015 6:16 PM

I love Shelter. One of the best gay films ever made. It shows that you can make high quality drama with a small budget.

by Anonymousreply 5November 17, 2015 6:24 PM

Are there two movies named Shelter? The one with J Connolly doesn't look gay at all.

by Anonymousreply 6November 17, 2015 6:31 PM

R6 yup! We are talking about this one:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 17, 2015 6:48 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 17, 2015 6:52 PM

Thanks, r6

by Anonymousreply 9November 17, 2015 6:58 PM
by Anonymousreply 10March 17, 2018 2:16 PM

This is the movie OP is talking about. I hoped Brad Rowe would have a longer, better career.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11March 17, 2018 2:29 PM

What happened to the actors? What did they further do in their respectively careers?

by Anonymousreply 12March 17, 2018 3:48 PM

If only there were a place you could look that information up, R12. If only it were available by clicking the pic in r11.

by Anonymousreply 13March 17, 2018 4:54 PM

R13 How silly of me! Thanks for pointing that out!

by Anonymousreply 14March 17, 2018 5:32 PM

Speaking of which, is this movie on any of the streaming services?

by Anonymousreply 15March 17, 2018 5:49 PM

R15 It's on Youtube, but pretty much unwatchable - poor quality.

by Anonymousreply 16March 17, 2018 6:05 PM

[quote]Speaking of which, is this movie on any of the streaming services?

You can rent it or buy it on Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 17March 17, 2018 6:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!