Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Shave for Job Interview?

Normally, I wouldn't bother asking this or caring - but this interview is a little unusual in a few ways. First, it is a small niche consulting firm, and my interviewers are in the 50-70 age range. The owner is 71. I am in the 30s. I have the work experience and PhD that they want. But, in consulting, image is more important than all of that. These guys are incredibly qualified too. They have all been partners at well known firms in the past. I haven't been... though I have gotten fairly senior...just kicked to the curb shortly thereafter.

I started this beard for "Movember" (and as an excuse to try it out) so it looks like the Top Row # 3 below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58July 8, 2020 6:44 PM

shave

by Anonymousreply 1November 12, 2015 3:35 AM

What is wrong with you, of course you shave!?

by Anonymousreply 2November 12, 2015 3:39 AM

I have friends at McKinsey & Co, Booz Allen and Ernst & Young who all have beards. Beards are pretty ubiquitous these days. If it's neatly trimmed, I don't see an issue. If it looks "inbetween" unshaven and beard-on-its-way, then, sure, perhaps a clean shave is order. It's also about what suits you. If most people tell you you look better without a beard, perhaps listen to that. But at the end of the day, it's much more about what makes you feel confident and comfortable. THAT will read in your interviews. Good luck!!!

by Anonymousreply 3November 12, 2015 3:39 AM

Definitely shave. This is a consulting firm, not a social app startup. I don't care what your PhD is in, the rules still apply to you.

by Anonymousreply 4November 12, 2015 3:41 AM

Shave. Make the best first impresion you can. What if the older ones don't like beards or don't think they are professional, and you lose a job just because you didn't shave? Of course they'd never tell you that, but they'd think of another excuse. You can always grow a beard after you're hired.

by Anonymousreply 5November 12, 2015 3:42 AM

Thanks - I probably will do it tomorrow AM. R5 you captured my concern exactly...it's actually stupid I am even asking. But, if you want a blunt opinion, there's nowhere better... Also, I think the issue is that it is too in-between. If it looked like a normal, shaped, trimmed, beard, I'd leave it .

R4, I wasn't implying that my PhD means anything...just explaining the relative experience levels between me & my interviewers (and like you said - it's not a start up). As an aside, the degree has ironically been an impediment to getting a job because I lost out on work experience while simultaneously being "educationally overqualified" for many roles. So, by now, only niche place likes me but many employers do not.

by Anonymousreply 6November 12, 2015 3:49 AM

I would have hired you in June.

by Anonymousreply 7November 12, 2015 3:50 AM

If you are going to shave after a long while with a beard, is there any chance of irritated skin or ingrown hairs. I agree that you should shave and I'd suggest you do it so that you have time to see the results well enough in advance of your interview.

by Anonymousreply 8November 12, 2015 3:53 AM

Excellent point by R8. I had a neatly trimmed beard for three years. When I shaved it all off for the first time in three years, the process irritated my skin and I needed to do some serious exfoliating/moisturizing etc. for a full week after to get rid of the redness.

by Anonymousreply 9November 12, 2015 4:15 AM

shave - they are old

by Anonymousreply 10November 12, 2015 4:20 AM

Unfortunately, your age and the age of your interviewers make this not much of a choice at all. I'm in my early 30s and I've led several hiring panels for Sr positions. Unless it was noticeably unkempt, even a week's worth of scruff wouldn't be a big deal. But in this case you're better off growing a beard AFTER you're hired (and I do hope you get the job.)

by Anonymousreply 11November 12, 2015 4:23 AM

LOL R10

No worries about the razor burn guys - it's only been 10 days or so... I will use clippers for the first pass anyway before an actual blade. Thanks for the heads up though. I'll be very careful. Going in with a hacked up face wouldn't really be good!

Forgot to say thanks (in general) and thanks for the good luck. I need it - seriously - it's been a long ass period of unemployment. Thankfully I saved and never invested in 2008....or I'd be home with my parents now.

Thanks R11... yeah, seems to be the consensus. I appreciate it! Now I just have to re-memorize how to deliver the last 15 years of my work history in 30 second sound bites...and we're good to go...

by Anonymousreply 12November 12, 2015 4:25 AM

Don't say "no worries" during your interview, R12. All other things being equal, I'd hire someone who didn't say "no worries" before someone who did.

by Anonymousreply 13November 12, 2015 4:30 AM

I'm on a website... not in a board room. But, thanks...

by Anonymousreply 14November 12, 2015 4:31 AM

R12 - I feel ya! I'm in my early 30s and have experienced three layoffs since 2010 and had a 1.5 yr period of underemployment. I'm one of two final candidates for a great job that will be a serious step up in my career and, finally (hopefully), offer me the ability to rebuild my savings and stop barely surviving paycheck to paycheck. I know how nerve-racking it is as you approach the finish line. I kept my beard, but I think I'll be fine. GOOD LUCK!!

R13, I'm sure our OP knows how to conduct himself in interviews. Surely we all know how to tailor our speech when we're in business circles. I mean, when someone at work says something a bit unbelievable I don't flip my hair and say "GIIIIIRRRRRRRLLLL". Well, not since HR talked to me.

by Anonymousreply 15November 12, 2015 4:34 AM

Good luck from [R5] to OP and all who are looking for a job.

by Anonymousreply 16November 12, 2015 4:41 AM

First of all OP you're cute. Secondly I like it at 21 days. Thirdly if you are participating in Movember you are cheating. It's a mustache, not a beard.

by Anonymousreply 17November 12, 2015 4:45 AM

[quote]I don't flip my hair and say "GIIIIIRRRRRRRLLLL". Well, not since HR talked to me.

lol

Good luck on yours too. It's amazing how long it can go on for, isn't it. 1.5 years would've been unheard of when we were finishing college or in that little micro-growth era from 2003-2008. I swear after 2009, it's been upside down, at least for me. I admit I actually have had to give up for short periods in all of this - and just stop. There's only so much "we loved meeting you, but we decided to go another way..." that a person can take after hours of preparing for interviews, going through 3 rounds with 12 different people on the phone and in person, etc... or flying to on-site interviews out of town. I'm looking anywhere in the country at this point. I even went to Utah... after 4-5 phone and skype interviews. Then, I had 7 interviews in one day. No job. They never had a written job description and seemed like a mess, and the last 3 people who held this position did not remain for longer than 6 months (which I didn't know until i was there) so something is wrong in that case.... but in every case...something is wrong.

by Anonymousreply 18November 12, 2015 4:48 AM

... And I'll just add - at least I'll know it won't be the hair on my face.

by Anonymousreply 19November 12, 2015 4:49 AM

OP, something to consider--the beard makes you look older....if that matters. Will the old guys think of you as a "kid" even though you're in your 30's?

by Anonymousreply 20November 12, 2015 4:55 AM

The oldsters will be looking for somebody young, smart, energetic and hungry. They'll be looking for somebody they can mould into a more senior position. They'll be asking themseves how is he going to fit in here in 20 years? Is he a good candidate for an executive position in the future? They'll be looking at you as someone they may mentor into a senior position.

by Anonymousreply 21November 12, 2015 5:07 AM

Just in case you start rethinking things tomorrow OP, shave!

by Anonymousreply 22November 12, 2015 5:37 AM

OP. Don't be an idiot. Don't ask such a dumb question. Shave, goddammit. If you get the job, you'll be able to asses the situation and decide whether or not you can grow facial hair. But not now. For having a Ph.D, you're a dumbo. Sheesh.

by Anonymousreply 23November 12, 2015 5:51 AM

You look better on day one. And I'm someone who loves beards and scruff. Your beard looks to "manufactured" and doesn't fit your persona. Wait til your 40's to start one.

by Anonymousreply 24November 12, 2015 6:03 AM

Shave. Give a firm handshake. Use business formal when presenting your hole.

by Anonymousreply 25November 12, 2015 6:22 AM

Everyone knows that wasn't the OP in the picture, right? I feel like not everyone contributing to this thread realizes that. Hey, OP, keep us posted on your status! Here's hoping you get a great job for Christmas or, if applicable, Jewish Christmas. Best wishes!

by Anonymousreply 26November 12, 2015 6:34 AM

Thanks R26. I shaved it off just now...and finished in the shower (not how it sounds). But yeah, it's gone. I don't have a babyface...per one of the earlier posters.

I like how R3 and R4 are next to each other with 2 opposite views about people who work at a very specific (and conservative) firm - McKinsey. From what I have seen, there are plenty of men there with facial hair, and likewise with the other places R3 named. I looked more homeless than professional, however...it wasn't ready for this. A contract job, fine...not a tiny boutique firm where the owner will be in the room along with ex partners from firms that rejected me as analyst.

[quote]For having a Ph.D, you're a dumbo. Sheesh.

I know - all that time I wasted on econometric modeling... and I forgot to take the beard etiquette and grooming class. Sheesh!

by Anonymousreply 27November 12, 2015 7:20 AM

Your face: I want to sit on it.

by Anonymousreply 28November 12, 2015 7:31 AM

[quote]Everyone knows that wasn't the OP in the picture, right?

Guess not.

by Anonymousreply 29November 12, 2015 7:32 AM

I noticed that you used the word "hungry" earlier which made me think...did you shave your hole too? There might be a second round of interviews that you haven't anticipated yet.

by Anonymousreply 30November 12, 2015 7:47 AM

OP - there is probably a connection between you not keeping the partner/senior positions, and you needing to ask this question here.

Do you not see the irony that you are a consultant yet need advice on something obvious?

by Anonymousreply 31November 12, 2015 9:55 AM

A friend had a job interview and shaved off his neatly-trimmed beard because he thought it would work against him. Turns out the guy who interviewed him had a neatly-trimmed beard. And, no, he didn't get the job.

by Anonymousreply 32November 12, 2015 12:31 PM

As someone who can't grow a decent beard to save my life, r32's scenario sounds like a case of discrimination against the clean-shaven

by Anonymousreply 33November 12, 2015 1:01 PM

IBM approved of beards, but you couldn't grow them on company time. Had to do it on vacation.

by Anonymousreply 34November 12, 2015 1:12 PM

Shave. Get the job. Grow it out.

by Anonymousreply 35November 12, 2015 1:19 PM

[quote]Everyone knows that wasn't the OP in the picture, right?

Wrong. I thought it was OP.

by Anonymousreply 36November 12, 2015 1:52 PM

Wait a minute. Isn't being active in charitable causes important too. Why not explain you are participating in Movember? I think this was more important than the other reasons listed here. Facial hair is popular and ordinary these days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37November 12, 2015 2:27 PM

OP - there is probably a connection between you not keeping the partner/senior positions, and you needing to ask this question here.

First, don't pluralize. Second, the fact that many econometricians were hired in the wake of the ACA & are no longer needed is a function of market demand. Are you also under the impression that every associate in a consulting firm becomes an engagement manager and then an associate partner and finally a partner / director? And, nobody leaves or gets "counseled out" due to insufficient client demand - especially in a niche area? What you do?

[quote]Do you not see the irony that you are a consultant yet need advice on something obvious?

What irony? Who said I worked in beard consulting? I would not be asking questions about how to build revenue models for various aspects of hospital departments here for obvious reasons. If I want to ask something related to perceptions of a person's looks and appearance, there is no better place.

by Anonymousreply 38November 12, 2015 5:03 PM

Let me try that again:

[quote]OP - there is probably a connection between you not keeping the partner/senior positions, and you needing to ask this question here.

First, don't pluralize. Second, the fact that many econometricians were hired in the wake of the ACA & are no longer needed is a function of market demand. Are you also under the impression that every associate in a consulting firm becomes an engagement manager and then an associate partner and finally a partner / director? And, nobody leaves or gets "counseled out" due to insufficient client demand - especially in a niche area? What you do?

[quote]Do you not see the irony that you are a consultant yet need advice on something obvious?

What irony? Who said I worked in beard consulting? I would not be asking questions about how to build revenue models for various aspects of hospital departments here for obvious reasons. If I want to ask something related to perceptions of a person's looks and appearance, there is no better place.

by Anonymousreply 39November 12, 2015 5:06 PM

Yes, shave. If you want the job, you shave. Unless you care more about whatever the fuck "Movember" is.

You type highly stupid.

by Anonymousreply 40November 12, 2015 5:06 PM

R38 - do not respond like this to your interview's gotcha questions.

by Anonymousreply 41November 12, 2015 5:08 PM

R31 / R41 - Awe, baby - are you butthurt? Why didn't you just answer my questions?

by Anonymousreply 42November 12, 2015 5:13 PM

[quote]You type highly stupid.

Says the troll who probably makes 50k a year to the person interviewing for 300k a year with a PhD in econometrics. LOL

You queens are TOO much! Enough for me today.... only so much I can take in the sewers.

by Anonymousreply 43November 12, 2015 5:15 PM

I wonder how long he'll last at this job, should for some strange reason he happen to get it.

by Anonymousreply 44November 12, 2015 5:17 PM

My doctorate is in something far more interesting, poor dear you are. I have tenure and can groom any way I like, forever.

by Anonymousreply 45November 12, 2015 5:18 PM

[quote]LOL

If you actually do have a Ph.D. I feel sorry for you. You're too stupid to dress yourself and you spend your spare time trolling poorly on the Internet. You might be an egghead in the classroom but you sound pretty bad at life. Not a whole lot to brag about there.

by Anonymousreply 46November 12, 2015 5:19 PM

[quote]OP - there is probably a connection between you not keeping the partner/senior positions, and you needing to ask this question here.

[quote]R38 - do not respond like this to your interview's gotcha questions.

Shave for Job Interview? [quote]My doctorate is in something far more interesting, poor dear you are. I have tenure and can groom any way I like, forever.

[quote]Cigarettes: Ever smoke one? [quote]What is all the fuss about?

[quote]They smoke a lot in the old movies. The closest I've come to trying is a candy cigarette someone brought me back from Turkey. I'm thinking of trying a cigarette after sex one day, when I try sex.

[quote]I heard from someone they help you go to the bathroom. Is that true? What do you think of this guy? I think he looks nice despite the location. Do you think he would make a good boyfriend? Would you smoke after sex with him? Well?

[quote]Rate Your Circumcision

[quote]I give mine a B. Maybe B+.

[quote]Negatives: Mine's a bit tight. Could have left a bit of skin to give some play when I'm super hard.

[quote]Positives: Left me a hefty frenulum.

[quote]Fortunately: no ghastly skin bridges. Very smooth scar line and not dark.

[quote]Doc did a good job. I wouldn't mind being uncut. Yet, I don't mind being cut. I'm so used to uncut dick, living in Europe. I wouldn't want my sons to be cut.

[quote]"2nd floor...hardware, children's wear, lady's lingerie." [quote]"Oh, good morning Mr. Tyler, going down?"

[quote]In my 20's, I used to crack that sort of corny old joke or reference to old movies. For example, on elevators in office buildings, some old fart says "4th Floor, Ladies Lingerie".

[quote]Now I'm 50. What's going to happen when guys my age and older are all gone. Nobody knows old corny show biz and movie shtick.

[quote]Not to mention SJWs would put the kibosh on anything sexist racist classist triggering.....

[quote]Ben Carson, Freaky but Handsome

[quote]He's a crazy weirdo. But nobody has discussed that he's fine.

[quote]And look at his beautiful hands, and long elegant fingernails.

[quote]To me, that's a promise of size meat.

All posted by the same old sexless 50+ queen, obsessing over Ben Carson's dick & analyzing her circumcision under her caftan. I didn't know Mrs. Patrick Campbell's finishing school gave Ph.D. degrees but congrats on your success!

Good luck with your interview OP, and please remember to IGNORE these people (literally, in datalounge, and see what else they post). Normal people, like me (R26 here) are rooting for you.

by Anonymousreply 47November 12, 2015 5:26 PM

I like the classism happening here. 50k vs. 300k?!? One poster implying the 300k person is more valuable, smarter, etc... You people need to really get out more. And yes, I know very high earning folks and the majority of them lack some social skills as well as common sense/street smarts. Not implying OP is like that though. I'd rather be around a smart, interesting low earner than someone with higher earning who had to ask the original question.

by Anonymousreply 48November 12, 2015 5:51 PM

R48, OP is interviewing for that post. Not working at that salary.

by Anonymousreply 49November 12, 2015 5:52 PM

Does the OP ever explain to the lousy readers, remarking on his handsomeness, that the handsome man in the picture is NOT him?

by Anonymousreply 50November 12, 2015 5:56 PM

let it grow, beards are fun,

by Anonymousreply 51November 12, 2015 6:02 PM

Shave. Crikey don't have hair on your face.

by Anonymousreply 52November 12, 2015 6:49 PM

Nobody (MEN) is shaving this month-November aka MOVEMBER as I have a friend in HR and they are respecting that dudes are not shaving for this reason so be it bro!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53November 12, 2015 7:34 PM

It doesn't matter whether they are business casual and don't shave.

In consulting, one thing they look for is good judgment - nothing you do can ever make up for losing a client. So, they want to know that they can trust you.

You need to show that you know know how C-suite level business is conducted, what's expected, and how to adapt.

Functional competence is an ante, not a driver to getting the job.

Shave and wear a suit.

by Anonymousreply 54November 12, 2015 8:01 PM

Damn, R43/OP, $300k? Is that a major step up from your last full time position? I'm in my early 30s and interviewing for what would be my first 6 figure job at just a few bucks over $100k and I thought THAT was exciting. But I'm also a marketing manager with a BA from SDSU, so that's the equivalent of $300k for my people.

(BTW, how many additional posters do you think will comment on how cute "you" are?)

by Anonymousreply 55November 12, 2015 11:01 PM

I like to have a neatly trimmed mustache or beard for a job interview. Clean shaven makes me look too baby faced.

by Anonymousreply 56July 8, 2020 5:44 PM

Fuck you R56. Enough of this bumping shit already. I don't mind it that much. But you should pick better topics and limit the number.

by Anonymousreply 57July 8, 2020 5:59 PM

FF the bumper at r56 and FF him every time he does this shit. Don't flag the thread's OP, FF the bumper. If enough people do this, Muriel can't ignore it.

by Anonymousreply 58July 8, 2020 6:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!