Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Eldergays, tell me how the world reacted when Jackie Kennedy and Aristotle Onassis announced their engagement.

I imagine everyone would have been shocked and horrified. It seemed so beneath her to remarry for money.

by Anonymousreply 57May 19, 2020 4:57 AM

My parents were horrified.

by Anonymousreply 1November 11, 2015 1:40 AM

I farted.

by Anonymousreply 2November 11, 2015 2:29 AM

She became known as Jackie "O." I'm not old enough to remember the announcement, but I do remember the publicity surrounding the marriage. Basically, people simply couldn't believe that she lowered herself to marry such a man -- it was a collective feeling of disbelief, disappointment, and disgust. They wanted her to either remain as Mrs. John F. Kennedy, stoic widow, or remarry someone of his reputation and stature.

by Anonymousreply 3November 11, 2015 2:37 AM

Money, security and privacy. Why was it beneath her? What's the big deal? The American public wanted that Camelot dream to continue just like R3 said.

Besides, didn't she say something like "it's cold and lonely on that pedestal"? After Bobby died, I don't think she gave a care what anyone thought of her. She just didn't want to be associated with the Kennedy name.

by Anonymousreply 4November 11, 2015 2:54 AM

My mother once said it was "shocking and disappointing."

by Anonymousreply 5November 11, 2015 3:14 AM

We knew she was an opportunistic whore.

We were just surprised she still commanded such a high price.

by Anonymousreply 6November 11, 2015 3:34 AM

Massive projectile vomiting.

by Anonymousreply 7November 14, 2015 7:27 PM

In that circle, to keep up or more importantly ascend to a higher social status on the international scene required serious money.

She got a good pre-nup and they both got what they needed to satisfy their egos and personal needs. Jackie always came with a price tag on her head. Plus, she knew Ethel was flat broke, Joan was on a budget and if she couldn't have a 'crown' she was going to get the next best thing.

by Anonymousreply 8November 14, 2015 7:42 PM

I was shocked and disgusted.

by Anonymousreply 9November 14, 2015 7:56 PM

He was a billionaire in 60s dollars.

'Nuff said.

Horrified, no. Intrigued, I think was more like it.

by Anonymousreply 10November 14, 2015 8:02 PM

We all envisioned old age creeping up on Jackie every night.

by Anonymousreply 11November 14, 2015 8:07 PM

She also lhad more 'sophisticated' European sensibilities, so Onasssis money would fund trips and shopping in Italy and Paris.

The sweetner was privacy - away from the photos, and security. No guns aimed at her, or her kids, security of armed guards, compounds, private planes, boats - the opposite life of being like a hunted animal waiting to be popped off.

Can't put a price on post-traumatic injury seeing your husband die in your arms. She disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 12November 14, 2015 8:29 PM

But then she came back to become a New York book editor, of all fucking things. How the hell was she qualified to be a book editor?

by Anonymousreply 13November 14, 2015 8:43 PM

Ethel has oodles of Skakel money at her didposal.

by Anonymousreply 14November 14, 2015 8:54 PM

Ethel was hardly broke-not because of Skakel money. Mrs O married in part for money the first time (she was raided a courtesan after all) and she wanted security. I was about 15 at the time. I got it them and I get it now including her want for privacy within her very rare world.

by Anonymousreply 15November 14, 2015 9:04 PM

Raised

by Anonymousreply 16November 14, 2015 9:05 PM

I was upset. Ari was to be my cash cow.

by Anonymousreply 17November 14, 2015 9:07 PM

Oh go take a soak, Charlie. This is not a thread about you.

by Anonymousreply 18November 14, 2015 9:14 PM

Jackie O was a whore. She hit the jackpot. Ari married down.

by Anonymousreply 19November 14, 2015 9:19 PM

Ari wasn't just a billionaire, he was gangster thug. So, yes, people were disgusted with her.

by Anonymousreply 20November 14, 2015 9:29 PM

I remeber all the noisy buzz in the media (I was a little kid) but my parents agreed that what she did with her own life was her business

by Anonymousreply 21November 14, 2015 9:36 PM

What did Onassis give Jackie for their wedding? An antique organ.

What did Jackie give Onassis for their wedding? An erector set.

by Anonymousreply 22November 14, 2015 9:39 PM

In my circle, we all thought it shockingly wrong.

by Anonymousreply 23November 14, 2015 9:42 PM

He was also from a sexist machismo culture very jarring to American sensibilities since they had falsely attributed feminist ideas to her. In truth, she was a fucking conservative.

by Anonymousreply 24November 14, 2015 9:48 PM

There was an outstanding PBS special on First Ladies and just a few weeks ago I saw the one on Mrs. Kennedy. She didn't care for the name Jackie, especially since her first husband's name was Jack. She preferred to be called Jacqueline. After her husband's assassination, she was without a husband, a job and a home. Perhaps she married Onassis for financial security, who knows? She wouldn't be the first. I recall there was a lot of concerns from other Catholics who wanted to know if she was going to take Communion after marrying Onassis, because although she was free to marry, she was marrying someone who was divorced. Her local Archbishop was asked about this and said something like "If she goes to confession, the rest of it is none of our business."

by Anonymousreply 25November 14, 2015 9:49 PM

She was a gold-digging trophy whore!

by Anonymousreply 26November 14, 2015 9:58 PM

So snarky for people to call Jackie a whore --- yes, it looks like she had lots of affairs but so did all you sluts!

by Anonymousreply 27November 14, 2015 9:58 PM

Interesting that people not even half as wealthy as she was and could only imagine being in her social circles would judge her for marrying someone whose status was " beneath" hers.

by Anonymousreply 28November 14, 2015 10:04 PM

I clutched my pearls, swigged a shot of tequila, and screamed "SLUT!"

by Anonymousreply 29November 14, 2015 10:35 PM

Everyone who marries is a whore.

Seriously.

A totally social construct based on an exchange of services, goods and money with often sex an integral part.

Jackie was bought by Joe Kennedy and then by Ari.

We should all do so well.

by Anonymousreply 30November 14, 2015 10:35 PM

I think it's annoying that people thought they had any kind of veto over her personal life just because she was First Lady.

by Anonymousreply 31May 18, 2020 10:38 PM

I remember when I heard the news--freshman year of college. I was SHOCKED.

by Anonymousreply 32May 18, 2020 11:10 PM

I remember my Nonna calling her a "puttana" when it happened.

by Anonymousreply 33May 18, 2020 11:44 PM

R25, that's a nice post. She supposedly married him, because she wanted security for her and her children that a wealthy man like he could provide for her.

I remember when he divorced her and the settlement she received. $10 million as I recall. I remember reading the tabloids (NY Daily News and NY Post) about the animosity between Jackie O and her stepdaughter Christina.

In high school, she was in front of me once in a line at a Merit Farm on Lexington Avenue at East 85th. She was buying cigarettes. So was I. Had no idea it was she, until my friend nudged me. She was in her trademark trench coat. Must have been 1979 or 1980.

by Anonymousreply 34May 18, 2020 11:56 PM

There was a headline that said, "Jackie, How Could You?"

by Anonymousreply 35May 19, 2020 1:00 AM

A woman flung herself from the top of the Duomo in Florence.

by Anonymousreply 36May 19, 2020 1:05 AM

[quote] Interesting that people not even half as wealthy as she was and could only imagine being in her social circles would judge her for marrying someone whose status was " beneath" hers.

God I love it when posters make pissy, pearl-clutching statements like this! LOL!

by Anonymousreply 37May 19, 2020 1:08 AM

[quote] and could only imagine being in her social circles

By which you must mean café society trash.

by Anonymousreply 38May 19, 2020 1:12 AM

The problem was that he was so ugly.

Even at his age, if he had been handsome, there would have been no scandal.

The photos of them together were just jarring.

by Anonymousreply 39May 19, 2020 1:16 AM

It was shocking, and people were revolted. It's like when Whitney Houston married Bobby Brown.

by Anonymousreply 40May 19, 2020 1:19 AM

I wonder what thread is being buried under the weight of 2015?

by Anonymousreply 41May 19, 2020 1:21 AM

After Bobby was killed, she said - if the are killing Kennedy's, I'm taking my children and getting out of America.

So she married a filthy rich man who owned his own Greek island. I can't say as I blame her.

by Anonymousreply 42May 19, 2020 1:25 AM

Exactly R42. Also the name Onassis was well known enough to successfully “rebrand” her - she was in her mid 30s and had no desire to be the Widow Kennedy for the rest of her life.

by Anonymousreply 43May 19, 2020 1:29 AM

According to Tina Cassidy's Jackie After O, when her friend Truman Capote asked why she had married Onassis, Jackie replied, "I can't very well marry a dentist from New Jersey!"

by Anonymousreply 44May 19, 2020 1:34 AM

She was 39.

by Anonymousreply 45May 19, 2020 1:42 AM

[quote] Money, security and privacy. Why was it beneath her? What's the big deal?

You're so funny. It was all about money. Security, NO, privacy, NO. She continued to live in NYC and her children continued to do the same. None of that changed. She had secret service protection until the day she died. So it didn't have anything to do with security

And privacy. nope. See above. She continued to live in NYC and go out and about. Nothing changed with her marriage to Ari, except her bank account

by Anonymousreply 46May 19, 2020 1:48 AM

[quote] After Bobby was killed, she said - if the are killing Kennedy's, I'm taking my children and getting out of America. So she married a filthy rich man who owned his own Greek island. I can't say as I blame her.

Except, they didn't get out of America. They spent half a summer in Greece and traveling around Europe. The kids and Jackie still continued to live in NYC.

Some of you will believe any damned thing you read and don't see it for the bullshit that it is

by Anonymousreply 47May 19, 2020 1:52 AM

The crop failed and the cows stopped letting down their milk.

by Anonymousreply 48May 19, 2020 2:03 AM

I was in catholic school at the time. The big fuss was Aristotle was divorced and that made the marriage null in the eyes of the church. She went to mass and the priest refused her communion. That was a big news item back in the day. I also discovered masturbation at the time !

by Anonymousreply 49May 19, 2020 2:15 AM

R49 You masturbated to Jackie Kennedy being denied communion?

by Anonymousreply 50May 19, 2020 2:16 AM

No R50 , I "discovered" masturbation at that time the object of my endeavors was usually Burt Renyolds , Chad Everett or Sam Elliott

by Anonymousreply 51May 19, 2020 2:19 AM

I COULD masturbate to Jackie being denied communion, as long as she was wearing the pink blood-stained suit and matching hat.

by Anonymousreply 52May 19, 2020 3:23 AM

R34 No, Jackie's settlement was actually $26 million dollars. At least that is what was reported all over the papers back then.

by Anonymousreply 53May 19, 2020 3:36 AM

[quote] No [R50] , I "discovered" masturbation at that time the object of my endeavors was usually Burt Renyolds , Chad Everett or Sam Elliott

WTF does this have to do with anything???

NO ONE CARES.

by Anonymousreply 54May 19, 2020 4:37 AM

It was like the entire nation, as one, collapsed onto a daybed and cried out, “We had a national heroine once. She was beautiful, and then she died.”

by Anonymousreply 55May 19, 2020 4:37 AM

Amongst elderqueens, caftans were sharted en masse.

by Anonymousreply 56May 19, 2020 4:47 AM

I shat out my tapeworm!

by Anonymousreply 57May 19, 2020 4:57 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!