Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sam Smith is the new Luther Vandross

I can't believe it took me so long to make the connection. I've been scratching my head wondering about the nature of Sam's appeal to the mass audience. All that moping and screeching, and that dreadful Bond song. I was particularly intrigued that "Stay With Me" gets recurrent play on the adult R&B radio station.

Now I've got it! All of that naked longing, sorrow, sadness and unrequited love is how the public is conditioned to hear gay men -- courtesy of Luther Vandross. Luther was not openly gay but even his most ardent female fans knew he was gay. Sam Smith has jumped right into the space created by Luther albeit with greater mainstream appeal (because he is white).

There, I've figured it all out.

by Anonymousreply 33November 24, 2020 10:38 AM

Loofa wasn't so relentlessly mopey.

by Anonymousreply 1November 10, 2015 3:04 PM

Yes r1. But you must think of Luther's ballads. All sorrowful, crushing affairs.

by Anonymousreply 2November 10, 2015 3:08 PM

No. Luther had a good voice. Sam sounds like a muppet on helium,

by Anonymousreply 3November 10, 2015 3:08 PM

Why do you say that R3? Luther was gay, if that makes you change your mind about Luther.

by Anonymousreply 4November 10, 2015 3:21 PM

Sam Smith can sing but Luther Vandross was leagues ahead of him vocally. Smith is the watered down version of Luther I suppose...

by Anonymousreply 5November 11, 2015 12:37 AM

I don't think Smith is watered down Luther at all. Gay and sometimes fat doesn't cut it for comparison.

by Anonymousreply 6November 11, 2015 1:29 AM

They're both fat ?

by Anonymousreply 7November 15, 2015 11:36 PM

[quote]Sam Smith can sing

Sam Smith doesn't really sing. He whines whilst trying desperately to sound like he emotes.

by Anonymousreply 8November 15, 2015 11:41 PM

What did you win, OP? Did you win a fat plush animal?

You should have at least got one of those cardboard kaleidoscopes.

by Anonymousreply 9November 16, 2015 12:02 AM

[quote]Gay and sometimes fat

Oh shit that's true.

by Anonymousreply 10November 16, 2015 12:06 AM

Link to Sam Smith's Lalique collection or you're lying, OP.

by Anonymousreply 11November 16, 2015 12:13 AM

They is? I don’t see it.

by Anonymousreply 12November 22, 2020 8:36 PM

I wasn't aware of him till I heard the Bond song and I was like who's that? Ive liked him since. Love his boobs too.

by Anonymousreply 13November 22, 2020 8:43 PM

R13 he doesn’t have boobs, they does.

by Anonymousreply 14November 22, 2020 8:45 PM

They is boobies, not they has boobies.

by Anonymousreply 15November 22, 2020 8:59 PM

Luther actually made good music, dear.

by Anonymousreply 16November 22, 2020 9:07 PM

At 28, Luther was a much better looking guy who could sing, unlike THEY.

by Anonymousreply 17November 22, 2020 9:15 PM

R15 is literally committing violence by implying that they is multiple persons.

by Anonymousreply 18November 22, 2020 9:18 PM

Luther was an extraordinary singer, he wrote, arranged and produced his own music, he was the sophisticated side of RnB and Soul music.

by Anonymousreply 19November 23, 2020 3:28 AM

A review I read said every song on the album is about him getting cheated on and dumped. Dance!

by Anonymousreply 20November 23, 2020 6:28 AM

Lalique? Only the most Precious Moments figurines for Mr. Smith!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 23, 2020 7:08 AM

They/it/what could never compare!

R7 and bottoms

by Anonymousreply 22November 23, 2020 7:18 AM

They is a cry-booby

by Anonymousreply 23November 23, 2020 7:24 AM

Here's Luther covering Sam Cooke's 'A Change Is Gonna Come'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24November 23, 2020 7:34 AM

Luther never came out when he was alive OP.

by Anonymousreply 25November 23, 2020 7:47 AM

Samantha came out as an insatiable weepy bottom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 23, 2020 8:09 AM

You’re wrong, OP. Sam Smith is the new Elizabeth II—a delusional old queen who thinks she’s more important to the world than she actually is and who just won’t seem to go away already.

by Anonymousreply 27November 23, 2020 8:17 AM

I don't mind Sam Smith so much. His debut album really was special. There's room in the universe for both of them. Luther was an icon, however. There will never be anyone like him.

by Anonymousreply 28November 23, 2020 1:27 PM

Smith lost any chance he had at becoming the new vocalist star when he came out as non-binary and got fat to make a statement. Contrary to belief, weight gain actually does change your voice and your vocal chords. He can't sing like he used to which is why his career is tanking.

by Anonymousreply 29November 23, 2020 1:58 PM

Yeah weight loss is a known voice killer for fluffy singers.

They might have similar content/subject matter in their music, but Luther Vandross is an institution of music, a legend. He was a master vocalist and even his dramatic weight loss several times during his career didn't change his voice.

its time to play one of my favorite Christmas songs!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30November 23, 2020 2:35 PM

Unfortunately RnB Luther never had the mainstream success like Sam. Or the Oscar for that matter.

by Anonymousreply 31November 23, 2020 2:39 PM

I don’t see the comparison at all.

by Anonymousreply 32November 23, 2020 2:42 PM

Luther will be remembered as a legend though. In the same people remember Aretha, Sam Cooke and Marvin Gaye.

I wouldn't have a clue how Sam Smith sounds like.

by Anonymousreply 33November 24, 2020 10:38 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!