Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sasheer Zamata: SNL's total failure at "diversity"

We all remember when, a couple tv seasons ago, SNL was (roundly and rightly) criticized for not having a single black woman in its cast. Kenan Thompson said he was fed up with having to play all of the black female characters and even Jay Leno spoke up about the lack of diversity. In fact, they hadn't even had a black woman in the cast since the bi-racial Maya Rudolph left in 2007. That's undoubtedly one of the reasons they've had Maya Rudolph back many times since when they need a black female character. Well, that and the fact that Maya Rudolph's hilarious. So, I have to say, I was excited when NBC announced the addition of new cast member Sasheer Zamata in early 2014. It felt overdue and, early reports were that she was a true standout at the "secret" auditions Lorne Michael held for the position.

But, man, I'm over it. She's had two seasons now and Sasheer Zamata is AWFUL. She is completely one-note (which, in the history of this show would be okay if your "one note" happened to be at all funny or unique). She's so dull. She has no sense of comedic timing and is always tripping up on her lines. She's really dreadful. Honestly, if she were not brought in this spotlight of tokenism, I think she would have been fired by now. I have to imagine that every young, talented up-and-coming black comedic actress and improv comic submitted. Was she REALLY funnier and more talented than all of them? EOf the rest of the main ladies on the show - Vanessa Bayer, Cecily Strong, Kate McKinnon, Aidy Bryant - she is by far the weakest link. She lacks their comedic spark and their slight left-of-center nuttiness. Even the amazonian more-a-writer-than-actress Leslie Jones seems to have more range than Zamata. How'd they get this so wrong? I bet there must've been some pissed off talented black comedic actresses watching Zamata's debut and subsequent performances wondering how on earth they lost out to her. Hell, when Kerry Washington, a dramatic actress, hosted SNL she was 50 times funnier than Zamata.

Oh, and before you accuse me of being "totally alone" on this one, when I typed "Sasheer Zamata" into Google, Google's autocompleted with the top three results of what people search for and they were "Sasheer Zamata SNL", "Sasheer Zamata Michelle Obama" and "Sasheer Zamata Not Funny".

by Anonymousreply 9April 5, 2020 2:35 AM

Yeah, I wish she was better but she's just not very funny. I've even watched some of her stand-up clips hoping to see whatever it was that made SNL hire her but she's not funny as a stand-up either. I guess they were desperate to cast someone quickly to silence the critics and she's good enough in supporting parts. As shallow as it sounds I wouldn't be shocked if they just picked someone who could play Michelle Obama in sketches. It must suck for her that Leslie Jones has come on and pretty much taken any screentime away from her.

by Anonymousreply 1November 9, 2015 9:18 AM

Leslie Jones is hilarious. Love her.

by Anonymousreply 2November 9, 2015 9:23 AM

Diversity = only black.

by Anonymousreply 3November 9, 2015 9:43 AM

Fair point, R3. It's kinda shameful that they've never had an Asian cast member. Hell, I believe Lucy Liu and Jackie Chan are the only hosts of Asian descent in the more than 40 yr history of the show. But the conversation that started in 2013 was specifically about the show not having any black female cast members. In that context, I think it was okay for the show to focus on filling that void. It's just a shame that they got reactionary and, apparently, cast the painfully unfunny Zamata instead of finding a truly talented woman.

by Anonymousreply 4November 9, 2015 9:59 AM

Was thinking just last night that Sasheer isn't cutting but Leslie sure is.

by Anonymousreply 5November 9, 2015 10:37 AM

I agree about Zamata, but disagree about Jones. She is the definition of one note. She is out of her league and it's painful to watch her struggle with the lines.

by Anonymousreply 6November 9, 2015 11:13 AM

If you need to be reminded about the true role Jews play in Civil Rights, think SNL.

by Anonymousreply 7November 9, 2015 12:11 PM

I don't understand how she lasted 4 years. I can't remember a single sketch she ever did.

by Anonymousreply 8April 5, 2020 2:34 AM

She was a utility player. Great actress, but never generated a character that connected. She's talented, but wasn't a good fit at SNL.

by Anonymousreply 9April 5, 2020 2:35 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!