Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Famous Bit Players From "the Mary Tyler Moor Show."

When I watch it in reruns, it always amazes me how many bit players, in one shot parts, later went on to be quite successful in their own right.

For example

Helen Hunt - Murray Daughters

John Ritter - Priest that married Ted and Georgette

Henry Winkler - Rhoda's date

Fred Grandy - Reverend at the Teddy Awards

Bernie Kopell - Mary's date

Craig T Nelson - Mechanic

Louise Lasser - Bank clerk (totally stole the scene)

Beth Howland - Separated wife of man Mary Dates

Isabel Sanford - Mother to a coworker Mary interviews

David Ogden Stiers - Station manager at WJM

Gordon Jump

Dabney Coleman - Congressman

Mary Frann - Mary's anti-Semitic friend

Joseph Campanella - Mary's date

Mary Kay Place - Mary's neighbor at her new flat (along with established Penny Marshall)

Gordon Jump - Tried out for sportscaster

Mackenzie Phillips - Mary's "little sister" in the "little sisters" program

Jeff Conway - An ice skater used to make Lou jealous

Richard Kline - Attorney attempts to prosecute Mary for not revealing sources

Any others? I mean those who later became stars but had not had significant stardom prior, like Penny Marshall, Beverly Garland, Sheree North, Bill Daley and others like that.

by Anonymousreply 41January 3, 2022 10:05 PM

Young Bruce Boxleitner is introduced to Murray's other daughter (not Helen Hunt), much to Murray's chagrin.

by Anonymousreply 1November 7, 2015 2:59 PM

Do I count? I was unknown as an actress, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 2November 7, 2015 3:01 PM

Nancy Walker

by Anonymousreply 3November 7, 2015 3:08 PM

Brett Somers as Aunt Rose

by Anonymousreply 4November 7, 2015 3:09 PM

That's all you've got OP?

by Anonymousreply 5November 7, 2015 3:16 PM

Beth Howland played dual roles.

I think the episode OP references is the one where Beth and Bert Convy are a married couple and Mary's best friends. They announce to Mary that they are separating and Mary begins dating Bert some time later. She starts to feel guilty and visits Beth who says it is NOT okay for her to be dating Bert. (I thought Mary crossed the line as well and that it was a bit slutty for her to date her friend's ex, especially since not much time had passed i.e. it occurred in the same episode!).

Several seasons later, Beth made a re-appearance as a woman who Mary finds in her boyfriend's (played by Ted Bessell) apartment (this time Beth was the slut). Skip to 20:28.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6November 7, 2015 3:17 PM

Mary Tyler Moor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 7, 2015 3:20 PM

Carole King!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 7, 2015 3:23 PM

Sheree North was already a name actress, whose stardom had already peaked in the 1950s. She was 20th Century Fox's back up Marilyn. Whenever Monroe was unavailable to do a picture, they'd bring in Sheree. That is, until Jayne Mansfield came along and usurped her position on the Fox lot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 7, 2015 3:34 PM

Barbara Sharma. It confused me as a kid, seeing the MTM show where she played the waitress Rhoda called a 'feeb'. Then Rhoda moves to NYC and the feeb is now her friend Myrna.

by Anonymousreply 10November 7, 2015 3:54 PM

If you put Barbara Sharma and Edie McClurg in a ring, who would win?

by Anonymousreply 11November 7, 2015 4:09 PM

Not sure she would be considered unknown at the time, but Doris Roberts had a small part as employment counselor to Phyllis.

(During their meeting, she came across a fantastic job and ran off to apply for it herself, abandoning Phyllis.)

by Anonymousreply 12November 7, 2015 5:45 PM

Barbara Colby, who played the prostitute cellmate when Mary was jailed for refusing to reveal a source. Barbara then went on to co-star on "Phyllis", but is most famous for being murdered after only several episodes were shot. Oh yeah, she was also once Ethel Merman's daughter-in-law.

by Anonymousreply 13November 7, 2015 5:52 PM

Stow it, you dingy!! Vic Tayback played a police officer.

by Anonymousreply 14November 7, 2015 6:21 PM

R3 Nancy Walker was a movie star in the '40s.

by Anonymousreply 15November 7, 2015 7:03 PM

R8 see R2.

by Anonymousreply 16November 7, 2015 7:04 PM

Why didn't Dick Van Dyke ever do a guest appearance??

by Anonymousreply 17November 7, 2015 7:09 PM

He didn't but Jerry Van Dyke did.

by Anonymousreply 18November 9, 2015 10:57 PM

I don't remember any of the other Van Dyke show regulars making guest shots. And interestingly, except for Richard Deacon, Jerry Paris, and Morey Amsterdam, they're all (Carl Reiner, Rose Marie, Ann Guilbert, Larry Mathews) still alive.

by Anonymousreply 19November 10, 2015 5:05 PM

Wow. That casting director must have had quite an eye for talent.

by Anonymousreply 20January 9, 2021 1:30 AM

Not sure why but prior to Three's Company John Ritter also played a recurring Reverend on The Waltons. He just doesn't scream reverend to me.

by Anonymousreply 21January 9, 2021 1:42 AM

No one ever mentions Benjamin Chulay, who was in dozens of episodes as "Pete," the young blond guy who worked at the desk behind Mary in the newsroom. His father, John Chulay, was the assistant director on hundreds of episodes of MTM and earlier, The Dick Van Dyke Show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 9, 2021 2:03 AM

R22. THANK YOU! He always caught my young gayling eye. I think they even threw him a line or two each season.

by Anonymousreply 23January 9, 2021 2:15 AM

Leonard Frey on the episode titled "Ted Baxter's Famous Broadcaster's School," airing February 22, 1975. Frey played the role of Lawrence

by Anonymousreply 24January 9, 2021 2:19 AM

Peter Strauss, the younger man Mary dated; she was self conscious about the age difference. Rhoda was hilarious! It was one of best shows.

by Anonymousreply 25January 9, 2021 3:08 AM

Valerie Harper

by Anonymousreply 26January 9, 2021 3:46 AM

Eileen Heckart as Mary's aunt

Irene Tedrow as Congresswoamn Geddes in the dinner party episode (same one with Henry Winkler)

by Anonymousreply 27January 9, 2021 9:18 AM

Congresswoman

by Anonymousreply 28January 9, 2021 9:19 AM

Buck would've never been a bit player on 'MTM'.

by Anonymousreply 29January 9, 2021 9:51 AM

Paul Sand played the IRS agent who falls for Mary.

by Anonymousreply 30January 10, 2021 4:50 AM

[quote]I don't remember any of the other Van Dyke show regulars making guest shots. And interestingly, except for Richard Deacon, Jerry Paris, and Morey Amsterdam, they're all (Carl Reiner, Rose Marie, Ann Guilbert, Larry Mathews) still alive.

Not anymore.

by Anonymousreply 31January 10, 2021 5:01 AM

What are we -- chopped liver?

by Anonymousreply 32January 10, 2021 5:01 AM

Johnny Carson in the dark.

by Anonymousreply 33January 10, 2021 5:24 AM

[quote]Buck would've never been a bit player on 'MTM'.

Buck never would have done sitcom television.

by Anonymousreply 34January 10, 2021 5:36 AM

Ted and Georgette adopted Cousin Oliver.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 10, 2021 8:28 AM

Benjamin Chulay, as "Pete," the cute blonde guy often in the background at WJM.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36January 3, 2022 9:46 PM

Mary Kay Place won an Emmy for writing on of the MTM episodes.

by Anonymousreply 37January 3, 2022 9:51 PM

Bernie Kopell had dozens of credits, and was a regular/recurring character on Get Smart, That Girl, and The Doris Day Show prior to appearing as a guest on MTM, and he was currently in the cast of When Things Were Rotten at the time of that guest shot.

by Anonymousreply 38January 3, 2022 9:52 PM

SJP played Murray’s Girlfriend

by Anonymousreply 39January 3, 2022 9:56 PM

Greg Mullavey

by Anonymousreply 40January 3, 2022 10:03 PM

Lee Montgomery as Stevie the Brat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41January 3, 2022 10:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!