Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What singers can really "put a song over"?

What singers can really "put a song over"?

Inspired by the "Judy Garland was a singer, not an entertainer thread." Below is a discussion from said thread about what it means to "put a song over."

[R67]: "To put a song over is to sell it so convincingly to the audience that for those few brief moments, you may forget you're listening to a singer and you get entirely caught up in the emotion and the underlying meaning of the song.

Put more simply, it means the singer and the song become one. There's no sense of artifice, of pretense. It's as real as it gets."

[R70]: "[R67] pretty much has it right. Just to add to that, it's when everyone who hears the song is joined together in the universal truth of the song.

Singers like Whitney Houston could thrill a listener with what she could do with her voice, but when you stopped listening to the song, nothing had moved you other than the voice."

[r68]: "I thought put a song over means the listener enjoys the song, gets the emotion and meaning and DOESN'T pay attention to flaws, effort and the artifice. Like suspension of disbelief in movies."

For me, I can imagine that the singer actually wrote the song or even improvised the words in the process of singing it - an effect of singing from the heart and getting to the emotional core. Technical perfection and volume don't factor in at the same level as gut feeling.

Who do you think can really put a song over?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77August 29, 2020 7:05 AM

Another song from Nina Simone: Lilac Wine.

Nostalgia at its most tragic and isolating.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 6, 2015 12:54 PM

From the original thread debating whether Judy Garland was more of an entertainer than singer.

I argue she's a singer who approaches her work like an actress.

She goes from despondent to resplendent from one number to the next and sells them both.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 6, 2015 1:00 PM

Demi Lovato did it this night.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 6, 2015 1:04 PM

[quote]Singers like Whitney Houston could thrill a listener with what she could do with her voice, but when you stopped listening to the song, nothing had moved you other than the voice."

True. She did not understand phrasing. In most of her performances she had no connection to the lyrics. There was absolutely no sophistication there.

by Anonymousreply 4November 6, 2015 1:06 PM

R3 That's pretty awful.

She should be building that song and taking us along to a grand finale. She blows her wad from the begining. There's no where to go from there.

by Anonymousreply 5November 6, 2015 1:11 PM

True, R5 but she made me feel it and believe it.

And for that, I can forgive her transgression.

by Anonymousreply 6November 6, 2015 1:16 PM

So many jazz, cabaret, or pop singers who had careers in the mid 20th century - tours, concert dates, recording contracts - could put songs over. I don't now how it is now, but in NYC in the 70s and 80s you could go out and still see these dinosaurs in cabaret concerts and they could all do it. That's why the public kept coming. Some of the fringe artists could do it. Yma Sumac in a cabaret setting. The old blues singers. Koko Taylor.

But wanted to say I like to see actresses who can't sing, manage to put over a song. Well its usually not live and of course lots of edits, and they have their bodies to help sell it. Jessica Lange did it a couple times in AHS. Here's Deneuve, who's done it a few times:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 6, 2015 1:18 PM

I meant to post the video of Cottage for Sale followed by Hey Look Me Over.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 6, 2015 1:23 PM

The artist doesn't need range. Here's Dietrich putting it over, live

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 6, 2015 1:38 PM

r7, I agree on the appeal of actresses who can't really sing in a traditional sense but who know how to sell the lyrics through their interpretation.

I can't see the Catherine Deneuve video you posted in the US, but I am curious.

Speaking of French actors, one who CAN sing is Yves Montand, though he's usually remembered for his films. I think he brings a lot more than just his beautiful voice to his songs. For any Francophones out there, I really envision him wandering around the wintry town in a haze of longing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 6, 2015 1:57 PM

More Dietrich - and more French.

I've read that she considered this her personal favorite of all her songs.

She could never actually sing. (I think it's called Sprachsingen.) However, she knows how to perform a song, be it sexy or sad.

This one is definitely the latter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 6, 2015 2:03 PM

Dietrich never seemed to fake her connection with the audience. Often get the impression she is calling up these songs from a deep well of experience and sharing them with directly with me. There's an intimacy. Of course her live shows were fabulous artificial concoctions and perfectly designed orchestrated and rehearsed. But like Garland, she was fully present when live. Dietrich never really embarrassed herself singing, both live and recording, which is remarkable considering her limits.

by Anonymousreply 12November 6, 2015 2:03 PM

Garland was a great singer and entertainer and actress- sort of a perfect storm- this the phenom

by Anonymousreply 13November 6, 2015 2:10 PM

Dietrich: One for My Baby and One More for the Road.

I think a singer who can put over a song can also sell the setting. I believe she's sitting on a barstool chatting up a bartender as he's turning out the lights.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14November 6, 2015 2:20 PM

I doubt that anyone will claim that the latter-day Marianne Faithfull has a lovely voice, but I would argue that she matches what she has to perfect material.

Her zenith was the album Strange Weather.

She lacks Dietrich's humor, but ups her on world-weariness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 6, 2015 2:24 PM

Kurt Cobain had that ability. No matter what he sang, his singing always sounded sincere and painted a picture of the character in the song. And on key, when he wanted it to be.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16November 6, 2015 2:36 PM

Sometimes a singer can also have technical precision.

I had a boyfriend who never liked Nat King Cole or Ella Fitzgerald, both of whom he claimed were emotionally bland singers best suited to background music for a Sunday brunch. I get that, but I think both transcended the surface loveliness on occasion.

Case in point: Nat King Cole's I Keep Going Back to Joe's: "our old waiter knows we're through / still he sets a place for you"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 6, 2015 2:41 PM

Mary Fahl

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 6, 2015 2:42 PM

Sharon den Adel

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 6, 2015 2:46 PM

WTF? R19 R18

Ok dear. Miss Piggy.

by Anonymousreply 20November 6, 2015 2:49 PM

Dinah Washington comes to mind as someone who could "put a song cover." She did the original version of Drinking Again and it still remains the definitive version. The way she phrases the lyrics, it almost sound like she's hungover telling the story and painting the picture. Her phrasing remains precise and assertive throughout the entire song.

She was a phenomenal singer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 6, 2015 2:50 PM

Melanie is now usually remembered as a silly or grating hippy, but I think of her as a fantastic songwriter and singer. She can be funny, biting, and intense.

Steppin': She starts out celebrating the end of a relationship, then mourns it, and then sadly ponders how easily she knows that she'll move on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22November 6, 2015 2:56 PM

R17 I agree with your boyfriend. Ella Fitzgerald sang like a robot. NKCole was better but did not have the depth that Sinatra had. But that's a great number you posted.

A master at putting a song over was Ray Charles in his prime.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 6, 2015 2:59 PM

r21, I think Aretha Franklin did right by this song on her Dinah Washington tribute album.

Lots of sad songs set in bars in this thread.

I think you have to be able to sell the fuck out the lyrics for this sub-genre.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24November 6, 2015 3:03 PM

Someone post Alfie from Streisand's 2000 concert. Sublime

by Anonymousreply 25November 6, 2015 3:04 PM

R24, I LOVE Aretha's version! That's probably the one version I would say compare to Dinah's. Sinatra did a great job with the song, too, but I prefer Dinah's because she sells the song with her impeccable phrasing.

[quote] Someone post Alfie from Streisand's 2000 concert. Sublime

Dionne's version will always remain the best version. Sorry, Babs!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 6, 2015 3:11 PM

Dame Shirley Bassey, [italic]bien sûr:[/italic]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27November 6, 2015 3:15 PM

Thread Closed

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28November 6, 2015 3:18 PM

Eartha Kitt.

She brought a self-awareness and sly charm to her songs.

I remember the ruckus when Madonna recorded Santa Baby and asked EK what she thought of it, who replied that she didn't care for it. Understandably. It takes a special singer to make a greedy golddigger an irresistible force.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 6, 2015 3:25 PM

[quote]Demi Lovato did it this night.

She did it this night with auto-tune.

by Anonymousreply 30November 6, 2015 3:26 PM

Queen Janet owns this thread.

Janet SLAYS all these other bitches you mention. Not only does she have the most amazing voice of them all but she emotes and makes every fucking person in the room FEEL it, Hunty!

Thread Closed!

Stay PRESSED!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31November 6, 2015 3:28 PM

Here is how Data Lounge now works.

The thread is: "Which singers could do the most with the voice they had?"

Then, all the same people post their same favourite singers whether they have nothing whatsoever to do with the thread category.

It's like this every time. Sad fans sure their star fits the category. No distance whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 32November 6, 2015 3:32 PM

R31 like most today, confuse attitude with talent.

by Anonymousreply 33November 6, 2015 3:39 PM

I think singers who can take some time out and get away with TALKING during a song fit squarely into this category.

That takes personality, not precision.

Esther Phillips had both, however.

R21, if you like Dinah Washington, you might like Esther Phillips.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34November 6, 2015 3:39 PM

lol at R33 who is a sad, pathetic, VADGE STAN typing from his mother's basement.

So PRESSED that nobody here would even mention your HAGDONNA. Just because you confuse WHORES with Artists.

Stay PRESSED Hunty.

by Anonymousreply 35November 6, 2015 3:43 PM

Bette puts over "Drinking Again," Legend has it that when Bette first met Aretha - both were label mates at Atlantic in the early 70s - Bette asked her what she thought of her version, which Bette said was in honor of Aretha's. Aretha bluntly told her she didn't like it at all. Bette was devastated. This encounter was later used as inspiration for the scene in "The Rose" with the Harry Dean Stanton character.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 6, 2015 3:45 PM

Tony Bennett can still do it live at age 88

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37November 6, 2015 3:52 PM

In the opposite vein, Aretha supposedly ran into Dusty Springfield in an elevator once when Dusty's "Son of a Preacher Man" was riding high on the charts. Aretha—who had been offered the song first but turned it down, then recorded her own version later on—loved Dusty's version. She put up her hand for a high-five and exclaimed "GUUUUUUURRRL!"

by Anonymousreply 38November 6, 2015 3:53 PM

Juliette Greco. Not a conventionally attractive voice.

Here she commandingly instructs a lover how to please her with a sensuousness that might be laughable in other hands. Sometimes going over the top works for a song, but not anyone can do it.

Her breathiness is neither girly nor teasing. It's pure and unabashed sex and desire.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39November 6, 2015 3:57 PM

r37, I think a test of who can put a song over is whether they can still do it after their voice has been diminished (or seasoned?) by age.

Juliette Greco is 88 like Tony Bennett and still singing.

She still fascinated me. Maybe more now than ever, but for different reasons. She has a presence and an approach to lyrics that makes her quite unique and instantly recognizable despite her advanced years.

She seizes the listener. Sensuous or spooky, she is one of a kind.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40November 6, 2015 4:02 PM

I'm with your ex, R17. Ella and Nat make absolutely no positive impression on me. They don't affect me negatively, either. They're just bland and boring.

by Anonymousreply 41November 6, 2015 4:05 PM

Well, now that we've turned to Euro chicks... the Italian singer Mina is something to see. Boy could she put over a song.

She wore exaggerated makeup...exaggerated theatrical gestures...quite a DIVA.

This song by Lucio Battisti and it's a beautiful melody.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42November 6, 2015 4:13 PM

In the past I would say Olivia Newton-John. When she sang "I Honestly Lo You" , you believed her heart had been broken.

Today I would say Adele. Same applies to "Someone Like You".

by Anonymousreply 43November 6, 2015 4:14 PM

Juliet Greco is sort of to European sisters what JudyPeggyLizaBabs is to American sisters.

by Anonymousreply 44November 6, 2015 4:19 PM

Most good singers have a few songs they can do that with. Why else would you sing?

by Anonymousreply 45November 6, 2015 4:21 PM

Ok then, this thread has officially collapsed, so I'm going to insist on Baby Jane.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46November 6, 2015 4:23 PM

[quote]Bette puts over "Drinking Again," Legend has it that when Bette first met Aretha - both were label mates at Atlantic in the early 70s - Bette asked her what she thought of her version, which Bette said was in honor of Aretha's. Aretha bluntly told her she didn't like it at all. Bette was devastated. This encounter was later used as inspiration for the scene in "The Rose" with the Harry Dean Stanton character.

I like the recording on the record, the way her voice crackles toward the end. Bette sounds like she's really feeling the song.

by Anonymousreply 47November 6, 2015 4:31 PM

[quote]In the past I would say Olivia Newton-John. When she sang "I Honestly Lo You" , you believed her heart had been broken.

I also like her rendition of "Sam".

by Anonymousreply 48November 6, 2015 4:32 PM

The only thing ONJ "put over" was the deliciousness of Lattanzi.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49November 6, 2015 4:34 PM

r32 & r46 - I see your point. (And I was waiting anxiously for Bette Davis to make her appearance.)

But a lot of what's posted here DOES involve storytelling and mood-setting.

That used to be a pre-requisite for country music, but it's been replaced by attitude and auto-tuning now.

Old country stars had to live the lyrics convincingly, no matter how maudlin things got. Sincerity and vulnerability don't get much return these days, but there was a time...

Dolly Parton and Porter Wagoner seldom failed as interpreters of their own words. And while Porter Wagoner could indeed carry a tune, like Dietrich, he chose to speak almost as much as sing. In fact, a lot of what he did was outright recitation as at 1:40 in Mommie, Ain't That Daddy?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50November 6, 2015 4:42 PM

I don't think it gets more real than this, a big challenge considering how stylized and ornate the music and lyrics are. Of course, she writes her own songs, they are confessional, so the song and singer are naturally one already. There's a point in the song where all you hear is not sound but the pain of... well if it could be put in words, the song would be superfluous, no?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51November 6, 2015 4:44 PM

Judy Garland

Barbra Streisand

by Anonymousreply 52November 6, 2015 5:05 PM

Carly Simon once had this. She did it over and over on the album Torch, despite her flat, reedy voice.

This Sondheim song usually gets a fussier treatment, but Simon's is the version that breaks my heart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53November 6, 2015 5:12 PM

Carly Simon has a reedy voice, R53? I don't think you understand the meaning of the word reedy.

by Anonymousreply 54November 6, 2015 5:16 PM

Thanks, R53. Carly's "I Get Along Without You Very Well" is the only version I need. What a great album TORCH is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55November 6, 2015 5:18 PM

I love what she did to "Itsy Bitsy Spider," too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56November 6, 2015 5:19 PM

r54 - I misused that word. What I meant was that I often find her voice strangely hollow, a sound that might be produced by a woodwind.

by Anonymousreply 57November 6, 2015 6:42 PM

Marianne Faithfull.

Her voice, ragged and ruined from decades of hard living, but also full of experience and far more interesting than when she broke as a teenage folksinger in the mid-1960s.

Here doing Harry Nilsson's Don't Forget Me. She couldn't have put this one over in her sixties heday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58November 6, 2015 9:33 PM

Disagree on r28. Janis Joplin doesn't put the song over; she squashes it with rampant caterwauling.

I envision her as a finalist on American Idol. And I hate American Idol.

Look to Nina Simone for a version from a singer who respects the lyrics and digs deep into the mood without grandstanding. It's fucking exquisite.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59November 6, 2015 9:51 PM

A bit more dramatic and doom-heavy from Judy Garland.

She never sold anything short.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60November 6, 2015 9:53 PM

And for real understatement as a counterpoint to Janis Joplin, Andy Bey.

Master of mellow melancholy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61November 6, 2015 9:58 PM

Another vote for Shirley Bassey.

by Anonymousreply 62November 6, 2015 9:58 PM

I said, Thread CLOSED you PRESSED, HUNTIES!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63November 6, 2015 10:09 PM

Discord on the JG thread over the meaning of the phrase. I think some posters here would concur with what follows:

I politely disagree with [R67]'s definition of what it means to "put over a song." The phrase is frequently used to describe someone who isn't a good technical singer but who "sells" the material by dint of being a compelling performer. Glynis Johns and Judi Dench are not strong singers, but they both succeeded in moving audiences as Desiree in A Little Night Music because they knew how to "put over a song."

Judy Garland lost much of her singing ability on the 1960s. There are many recordings late in her career where she is in ghastly voice. But she is still giving a great show because she knows how to put over a song. In other words, her singing didn't sound as pretty as it used to, but she still knew how to go out there and sell them a bucket of clams.

by Anonymousreply 64November 6, 2015 11:06 PM

Still my all time favorite performance by any singer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65November 7, 2015 12:40 AM

How grunty/bleaty/wispy, R65.

by Anonymousreply 66November 7, 2015 12:42 AM

Yeah, that song is kind of put under, R65.

by Anonymousreply 67November 7, 2015 12:48 AM

Linda Eder

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68November 7, 2015 12:49 AM

Another vote for Bette Midler. Not a voice, but could really deliver. Her "One More For the Road" for Johnny Carson's farewell is a perfect example.

by Anonymousreply 69November 7, 2015 1:00 AM

Bette Midler puts it UNDER.

by Anonymousreply 70November 7, 2015 1:01 AM

Oh, Julie...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71November 7, 2015 1:09 AM

R65, I love Fiona's performance of "I Want You". Still remember seeing it for the first time and getting chills.

by Anonymousreply 72November 7, 2015 4:55 PM

Great thread. This affects me at the cellular level...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73November 7, 2015 5:33 PM

Is the Janet Jackson troll just one person? I have to say, they are extremely prolific.

by Anonymousreply 74August 29, 2020 4:19 AM

I don't think Courtney gets enough credit.

Doing a cover of 'He Hit Me (And It Felt Like a Kiss)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75August 29, 2020 4:57 AM

Gladys Knight, without question.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76August 29, 2020 5:24 AM

Judy Garland singing "A Cottage For Sale" is one of the greatest song interpretations--of any genre--that I have ever heard.

by Anonymousreply 77August 29, 2020 7:05 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!